PDA

View Full Version : Hero Sports Looks At The Southland

SU DOG
August 18th, 2017, 07:44 AM
A short preview:

http://herosports.com/fcs/southland-conference-football-2017-preview-sam-houston-state-ajaj

BEAR
August 18th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Good read.

KEEP AN EYE ON: Hayden Hildebrand, QB Central Arkansas (http://herosports.com/colleges/central-arkansas)
He's going to be overshadowed by Briscoe, obviously, but he was the No. 7 passer (3,051 yards) in the nation last year and UCA was very strong.

Last year UCA had two main threats at WR, Desmond Smith and Jatavious Wilson. UCA only threw the ball about 35% of the time yet Hayden was able to get over 3000 yards. That's impressive. Our struggles were against the #1, #2, and #3 passing offenses in the country in EWU, SHSU, and Samford. But that's not going to happen EVERY year hopefully. DBs can get worn out chasing that many WRs. xlolx Happily this year after watching multiple practices and scrimmages, UCA has 5 or 6 threats at WR instead of 2 PLUS 3 RBs that got little playing time last year or transferred from CCs. I believe it will be a much better offense...just got to keep up that defense on the line and improve the DB play...

Iridebikes
August 18th, 2017, 08:12 AM
Good read.

Last year UCA had two main threats at WR, Desmond Smith and Jatavious Wilson. UCA only threw the ball about 35% of the time yet Hayden was able to get over 3000 yards. That's impressive. Our struggles were against the #1, #2, and #3 passing offenses in the country in EWU, SHSU, and Samford. But that's not going to happen EVERY year hopefully. DBs can get worn out chasing that many WRs. xlolx Happily this year after watching multiple practices and scrimmages, UCA has 5 or 6 threats at WR instead of 2 PLUS 3 RBs that got little playing time last year or transferred from CCs. I believe it will be a much better offense...just got to keep up that defense on the line and improve the DB play...

From what I saw of UCA last year, your defense is OK, your offense is not. 250 yards total against EWU is not very good.

BEAR
August 18th, 2017, 09:16 AM
From what I saw of UCA last year, your defense is OK, your offense is not. 250 yards total against EWU is not very good.

Our coach is run heavy even if it requires 60+ run plays a game. He knew our DBs couldn't stop the pass game of EWU so he tried to run it as much as he could. We were up 14-0 at one point I believe and the run game was doing pretty good. But again, when the run game slowed down and the coach didn't go to the pass game, EWU was able to take advantage of that. I think you will see a different offense this year though. The defense should be about the same.

Daytripper
August 18th, 2017, 09:24 AM
It would not surprise me at all if UCA won the conference and got the auto-bid.

smallcollegefbfan
August 18th, 2017, 09:29 AM
A short preview:

http://herosports.com/fcs/southland-conference-football-2017-preview-sam-houston-state-ajaj

I skimmed this and I would have put the SLU LB Sione Teuhema as the top guy. He has very good measurables and has a lot of talent. He started out at LSU and considering that HERO Sports mentions stars and players almost signing with Arkansas. I would have thought a player who did sign with LSU on scholarship and has the ideal measurables and a lot of ability would have been mentioned. I think Teuhema is a better pick than Hall simply because we know he could be a DE or OLB and he looks the part while Hall is very short for a DE and undersized for a DT.

Remember everyone, just because a player has gaudy stats does not mean he is a NFL player. Ask UCA fans about Nathan Brown back in 2009. I remember one scout had him as a 5th round grade the spring before his senior year but the other who went in gave him a camp body grade. He was rated high on a lot of draft websites and went to the Senior Bowl. He went undrafted and did not make it. He was coaching much later. I would not be surprised if Briscoe is just a little better version of him. I expect him to go undrafted and probably make a practice squad but I don't see him being like Flacco or Garoppolo.

I know that Sione Teuhema isn't really rated right now by draft websites but you can expect him to be by the end of the fall, unless he gets hurt. I know some scouts have him in the 6th-7th round. I personally have him as a PFA but still higher than Hall, Briscoe, Louis, and the others in the SLC.

dewey
August 18th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Seems like McNeese has a lot coming back and could/should challenge for a playoff spot.

McNeese (http://herosports.com/colleges/mcneese). The Cowboys haven't had a losing season since 2004 and return 8 starters on offense -- including stud QB James Tabary -- and 8 starters on a very seasoned and talented defense.

Dewey

BEAR
August 18th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Remember everyone, just because a player has gaudy stats does not mean he is a NFL player. Ask UCA fans about Nathan Brown back in 2009. I remember one scout had him as a 5th round grade the spring before his senior year but the other who went in gave him a camp body grade. He was rated high on a lot of draft websites and went to the Senior Bowl. He went undrafted and did not make it. He was coaching much later. I would not be surprised if Briscoe is just a little better version of him. I expect him to go undrafted and probably make a practice squad but I don't see him being like Flacco or Garoppolo.

Oh man that kid had "it". He made all the throws. He was a field general. He even went to the Jaguars camp and blew away the coaches. What was the final straw to him NOT playing in the NFL? IMO it was his height. I think he is barely 6 foot. Plus he was not very mobile. But if anyone can watch an old game of his and not be just in awe of not only the number of passes he completed but where he put them for the receiver..then I just don't know. He was a rarity. Glad he came to coach at UCA and I see him as a head coach one day.

In this ESPN highlight he threw 6 TDs in the first half against Texas State when we were just division II transitioning. Took him out after that or if I remember he got very little time on the field after half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur7gK00bZKs

Iridebikes
August 18th, 2017, 10:33 AM
Our coach is run heavy even if it requires 60+ run plays a game. He knew our DBs couldn't stop the pass game of EWU so he tried to run it as much as he could. We were up 14-0 at one point I believe and the run game was doing pretty good. But again, when the run game slowed down and the coach didn't go to the pass game, EWU was able to take advantage of that. I think you will see a different offense this year though. The defense should be about the same.

Well, I sure hope that you are able to improve on offense. I'd like to see someone give SHSU some competition in league. Best to you!!

Sammy94
August 18th, 2017, 10:35 AM
There is no way Bulmer is the top rusher. He is currently the 3rd RB behind Avery and Webb.

milleniumkat
August 18th, 2017, 11:14 AM
There is no way Bulmer is the top rusher. He is currently the 3rd RB behind Avery and Webb.

They are just using stats from last year. Avery and Webb got hurt. So, basically our third team guy led the league. Think about that.

lionsrking2
August 19th, 2017, 03:03 AM
I skimmed this and I would have put the SLU LB Sione Teuhema as the top guy. He has very good measurables and has a lot of talent. He started out at LSU and considering that HERO Sports mentions stars and players almost signing with Arkansas. I would have thought a player who did sign with LSU on scholarship and has the ideal measurables and a lot of ability would have been mentioned. I think Teuhema is a better pick than Hall simply because we know he could be a DE or OLB and he looks the part while Hall is very short for a DE and undersized for a DT.

I know that Sione Teuhema isn't really rated right now by draft websites but you can expect him to be by the end of the fall, unless he gets hurt. I know some scouts have him in the 6th-7th round. I personally have him as a PFA but still higher than Hall, Briscoe, Louis, and the others in the SLC.

Sione Teuhema is a beast. He missed 3.5 games last year, and never really was full speed. If he can stay healthy, he'll be a candidate for defensive POY in our league.

Catatonic
August 19th, 2017, 03:49 AM
Basically, after Sam Houston State, this league is quite perplexing.

This. Well, Mostly this. I'd change it slightly to "after Sam Houston State & UCA, this league is quite perplexing."