PDA

View Full Version : Samford Is FIRST In This Ground-Breaking Sports Technology

SU DOG
August 16th, 2017, 11:57 AM
If this is considered to be in the wrong forum, then mods can move my post. This technology can certainly apply to FCS, however, and you will see program applications. I'm proud of my school for something this innovative.xbowx The university is becoming a leader in several sports related areas, but this is clearly cutting edge territory.

https://www.samford.edu/news/2017/08/Samford-Launches-First-Center-for-Sports-Analytics

Toby
August 16th, 2017, 12:24 PM
And all I wanted was Instant Replay........

citdog
August 16th, 2017, 07:42 PM
And all I wanted was Instant Replay........

You'll see it in action at General Johnson Hagood Stadium this season.

FUBeAR
August 16th, 2017, 07:48 PM
You'll see it in action at General Johnson Hagood Stadium this season.

And in Five Star Stadium in Maconga...and in ... OH CRAP! C'mon SoCon Teams...

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b1/20/87/b120870638402a6e76ebf12d78d2e08d--funny-images-funny-gifs.jpg

The Yo Show
August 16th, 2017, 08:36 PM
Have to say, this is very innovative. Congrats Samford.

bonarae
August 16th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Amazing work to bring this to the academe. Well done, Samford.

Smitty
August 17th, 2017, 06:24 AM
If this is considered to be in the wrong forum, then mods can move my post. This technology can certainly apply to FCS, however, and you will see program applications. I'm proud of my school for something this innovative.xbowx The university is becoming a leader in several sports related areas, but this is clearly cutting edge territory.

https://www.samford.edu/news/2017/08/Samford-Launches-First-Center-for-Sports-Analytics

You could have at least mentioned what the technology was instead of forcing people to go to the link...

Samford University Launches First Center for Sports Analytics

The center’s mission is to promote the rational inquiry into issues at the intersection of big data, analytics and sports. “We hope to help transform the sports industry through data science, finding unexpected insights in unexpected places, and creating value for the world’s top sports brands, teams and leagues,” White added.

White explained that Samford’s Center for Sports Analytics will capitalize on highly specialized institutional strengths to focus on emerging areas where analytics can have the greatest impact on sports, including areas such as sponsorship activation, dynamic ticket pricing, athlete performance, social media fan engagement and marketing optimization. Samford has internationally-renowned experts in the fields of sports management, sports media, sports marketing and sports medicine who have vast experience working with top sports teams and brands such as the Miami Dolphins, Bayern Munich, Nike, NASCAR, Adidas, SEC, Indy Car and Major League Soccer.

So basically a research center for sports stuff. Not sure why everybody is thinking this is revolutionary...

PaladinFan
August 17th, 2017, 07:24 AM
You could have at least mentioned what the technology was instead of forcing people to go to the link...

So basically a research center for sports stuff. Not sure why everybody is thinking this is revolutionary...

Have a winning football team - folks will spend more money. Done.

Sports Analytics will capitalize on highly specialized institutional strengths to focus on emerging areas where analytics can have the greatest impact on sports, including areas such as sponsorship activation, dynamic ticket pricing, athlete performance, social media fan engagement and marketing optimization.

Remember, Samford, with a football program as good as it has ever been, averaged 5800 fans last year. If there's a SoCon team that needs to figure out how to get its name out there and engage its community, it is Samford.

JaxSinfonian
August 17th, 2017, 07:45 AM
Remember, Samford, with a football program as good as it has ever been, averaged 5800 fans last year. If there's a SoCon team that needs to figure out how to get its name out there and engage its community, it is Samford.

What he said.

SU DOG
August 17th, 2017, 07:54 AM
There is a lots more involved here than attendance obviously. As for our attendance, it is nowhere near what it should be, but I think Furman's is about the same. Yeah, the counter statement will be that FU had a bad year, but look what the average attendance was years ago, when Samford didn't even field a team. Will a good year bring those numbers back to Paladin Stadium? Maybe, but I doubt it. The point is that many programs on both D1 levels are having trouble with attendance for various reasons. There are exceptions, of course, and I am proud for those schools that can accomplish this feat.

To me, this new program is just another example of my school's research diversity. The term "Preacher's College" was used when I attended, and little research was ever mentioned. Last year some groundbreaking medical research was done in conjunction with Childrens Hospital of Birmingham, and several other areas of our academia had research findings that were widely acclaimed.

As for being "revolutionary" all I know is that the article says it is the FIRST of its kind. If I could I would offer some of my good coffee to others this am, I sure would. LOL!

Toby
August 17th, 2017, 09:05 AM
There is a lots more involved here than attendance obviously. As for our attendance, it is nowhere near what it should be, but I think Furman's is about the same. Yeah, the counter statement will be that FU had a bad year, but look what the average attendance was years ago, when Samford didn't even field a team. Will a good year bring those numbers back to Paladin Stadium? Maybe, but I doubt it. The point is that many programs on both D1 levels are having trouble with attendance for various reasons. There are exceptions, of course, and I am proud for those schools that can accomplish this feat.

To me, this new program is just another example of my school's research diversity. The term "Preacher's College" was used when I attended, and little research was ever mentioned. Last year some groundbreaking medical research was done in conjunction with Childrens Hospital of Birmingham, and several other areas of our academia had research findings that were widely acclaimed.

As for being "revolutionary" all I know is that the article says it is the FIRST of its kind. If I could I would offer some of my good coffee to others this am, I sure would. LOL!

That new Business School is pretty awesome as well.

PaladinFan
August 17th, 2017, 10:50 AM

Look back 10 or 15 years ago. Furman was averaging something like 12-13k a game. They had nearly 18k in Paladin Stadium for Georgia Southern in 2004.

Furman has stunk for a while now and the fan support shows it. Still, Furman at least has a record of turning out bigger crowds. Samford does not.

walliver
August 17th, 2017, 11:29 AM
I read the entire article and don't really have a clue what it is about. I use a lot of technical terms at work, but my general feeling is that if an idea can't be expressed in plain language, there is a problem. At times, I think Mercer's self-promotion is over the top, but this press release out-Mercers Mercer by a landslide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PaladinFan
August 17th, 2017, 11:46 AM
I read the entire article and don't really have a clue what it is about. I use a lot of technical terms at work, but my general feeling is that if an idea can't be expressed in plain language, there is a problem. At times, I think Mercer's self-promotion is over the top, but this press release out-Mercers Mercer by a landslide.

That's one of the best lines I have read on this forum in years.

FUBeAR
August 17th, 2017, 12:38 PM
That's one of the best lines I have read on this forum in years.

Here's some additional recommended reading for you

Matthew 5:15-16
Mark 4:21
Luke 8:16

Toby
August 17th, 2017, 03:25 PM

Whoa! Just sitting here minding my own business, eating some popcorn and wham. Out of no where get slimed in the back of the head by a mud ball from the little dogs and then the horse people pile on.

Gonna be a fun year!!!!

Toby
August 17th, 2017, 03:38 PM
That new Business School is pretty awesome as well.

Speaking of Samford, there are some great things going on there. I had three chillins take the college tour. One in 2013. one in 2015 and one this year. It was the best college tour of all the small private schools we visited. And that includes Mercer's (unfortunatly). Very impressive.

NorthChuckSouth
August 17th, 2017, 08:24 PM

https://morganstewartpsyc436.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/42a831f4ad139af05f901f259dbbf798-1.gif?w=656

PaladinFan
August 18th, 2017, 06:42 AM
Speaking of Samford, there are some great things going on there. I had three chillins take the college tour. One in 2013. one in 2015 and one this year. It was the best college tour of all the small private schools we visited. And that includes Mercer's (unfortunatly). Very impressive.

You are doing more than I did. I spent about half an hour walking around Furman's campus and never took a tour.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 18th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Montana State used something similar to this when Ash was the coach only it was actually predicated on what plays to call. Didnt work out too well.

Also some big stink was made about it, something to do with his son worked for the company that provided the data.

Anyhow...Kitty fans were not thrilled.