PDA

View Full Version : Is Samford going the SoCon?

Fresno St. Alum
January 31st, 2007, 12:28 PM
I hear from collegesportsinfo.com that there is a good shot that Samford and not C.Carolina will join the SoCon to help with Chattanooga's travel problems. Is there still a chance the SoCon goes to 14 like they talked about last year? Also with ETSU probably bringing back football in 2010, I hear that they will leave the ASC and join the OVC and not go back to the SoCon, something about burning some bridges. If that happens the OVC is still stuck on 11. Who would be the 12th? Non football SIUE?

MoreheadEagle
January 31st, 2007, 12:51 PM
Unless the OVC changes its rules, a new member needs football of some sort to join the league. I've heard a rumor that Western Illinois might join. If the rule was dropped I would hope the OVC goes after Northern Kentucky when they get ready to move up. Morehead State rejoining in football would be nice too.

Fresno St. Alum
January 31st, 2007, 01:06 PM
If the OVC goes to 12 with a football school then you would have an odd number, hard to schedule 11 football schools. Since Morehead St. is non scholly and in the Pioneer. Does the OVC think that Morehead St. will become a scholly team soon? Then 12 all football makes sense. If W.Illinois moves to the OVC, is that better than being in the Gateway? I know for all other sports the OVC is much better than the MidCon.

th0m
January 31st, 2007, 01:09 PM
Go to 12 teams and play the way the CAA plays, with two divisions. It aint pretty, but it's a solution.

OL FU
January 31st, 2007, 01:29 PM
Go to 12 teams and play the way the CAA plays, with two divisions. It aint pretty, but it's a solution.

Sounds like that is what the SoCon has in mind:pumpuke:

GoldandBlack
January 31st, 2007, 01:31 PM
Sounds like that is what the SoCon has in mind:pumpuke:

It sure looks more and more that way every year the discussion occurs. I hate the thought of two divisions.

OL FU
January 31st, 2007, 01:34 PM
It sure looks more and more that way every year the discussion occurs. I hate the thought of two divisions.

I know. I hate to post this stuff in case a Samford poster actually swings by but god just go get a school with a good football team:rolleyes: and then we have the perfect number.

I think I will withhold my contribution to Furman:eyebrow:

I am sure that will change the way Furman votesxlolx

MoreheadEagle
January 31st, 2007, 02:10 PM
If the OVC goes to 12 with a football school then you would have an odd number, hard to schedule 11 football schools. Since Morehead St. is non scholly and in the Pioneer. Does the OVC think that Morehead St. will become a scholly team soon? Then 12 all football makes sense. If W.Illinois moves to the OVC, is that better than being in the Gateway? I know for all other sports the OVC is much better than the MidCon.

I'd like the OVC to go to 10 football schools which with APSU next season that will be the case. Add one non-football school and we're in business. There's talk among fans of Morehead going back but I don't know about that.
As far as Samford goes. They never really wanted to be in the OVC anyway so I say so-long. Western Illinois would boost our football a whole lot more than Samford ever did.

JDC325
January 31st, 2007, 02:12 PM
I would much rather have Jacksonville State than another small private school with no real growth potential. I mean no offense to Elon or Wofford who has are number lately but can they ever really hope to get 15 to 20K in the stands?

Fresno St. Alum
January 31st, 2007, 02:20 PM
The SoCon rumors are Samford if they go to 12 and Samford, C.Carolina, and Jacksonville St. or UNCW(no football) if they go to 14. I think they need to go with 1 without football if you go to 14 so there will be 10 for football. Unless Davidson added schollys then you would need all 3 to have football to have 12.

GoldandBlack
January 31st, 2007, 02:23 PM
I would much rather have Jacksonville State than another small private school with no real growth potential. I mean no offense to Elon or Wofford who has are number lately but can they ever really hope to get 15 to 20K in the stands?

Hey, JDC- Wofford is in the process of growing from 1150 student body to 1500 over the next 3-4 years - that's over 30%.

If that's not growth, I don't know what is!!!

(Oh, you meant, like, numbers that can put 18,000 in the stadium every week- my bad!)

I'd personally like to see an invitation put out to Jax State myself. I'd like to see the SoCon footprint in Virginia, as well.

youwouldno
January 31st, 2007, 02:32 PM
Davidson would never add schollies for football. Samford is private but it's not that small... I think around 5,000 students total. Contrast that with Wofford, which is around 1100-1200 I think, and Furman is under 3000. I think the SoCon is interested in Samford for 3 reasons: academics, location, and leadership. CCU is going through transition in their administration while Samford appears ready to make a major commitment to improving their athletics (which are already funded better than some SoCon programs).

Samford won't make the SoCon better in football but adding another team makes scheduling easier for members. They also are pretty decent in basketball and we could use some more help in that sport.

edit: so far as Virginia goes, there aren't a lot of potential candidates. It would be very interesting if the SoCon tried to woo Hampton however...

Mr. C
January 31st, 2007, 02:36 PM
It looks like Samford would be the only addition for now, bringing the SoCon to a perfect nine teams in football and 12 teams for basketball. I would expect Samford to receive an invite at the spring meetings and for the Bulldogs to start play in 2008.

Coastal Carolina really isn't in the picture at this time. East Tennessee State would be considered strongly, once the Bucs bring back football (can't see them fielding a team again before 2010). Sources I've talked to say that the league would take ETSU back in a heartbeat, if the Bucs get football again.

GoldandBlack
January 31st, 2007, 02:39 PM
It looks like Samford would be the only addition for now, bringing the SoCon to a perfect nine teams in football and 12 teams for basketball. I would expect Samford to receive an invite at the spring meetings and for the Bulldogs to start play in 2008.

Coastal Carolina really isn't in the picture at this time. East Tennessee State would be considered strongly, once the Bucs bring back football (can't see them fielding a team again before 2010). Sources I've talked to say that the league would take ETSU back in a heartbeat, if the Bucs get football again.

ETSU would be especially attractive to UT-C, as a natural, close rival. Samford also addresses that issue for UT-C, being on the same side of the Eastern Continental Divide.

Fresno St. Alum
January 31st, 2007, 02:56 PM
What about the rumors of ETSU burning bridges and the SoCon really wanting 14 members? Will the OVC be abile to woo ETSU away from the SoCon in 2010?

GoldandBlack
January 31st, 2007, 03:02 PM
What about the rumors of ETSU burning bridges and the SoCon really wanting 14 members? Will the OVC be abile to woo ETSU away from the SoCon in 2010?

I've heard it both ways: bridges burned with no chance, and ready to take them back at first opportunity.

Lots of rumors going around about expansion- some will be right and others wrong. I've heard no verified facts at this point.

Sir William
January 31st, 2007, 05:01 PM
IMHO, ETSU would re-join the SoCon in a skinny minute, and the SoCon would wholeheartedly welcome ETSU back in the same minute. It just makes good sports business sense.

Again, my :twocents:

appfan2008
January 31st, 2007, 08:25 PM
I really hope we go 9 and 12 and no more
divisions in football or an uneven schedule like the big ten is just no fun.

Fresno St. Alum
January 31st, 2007, 10:09 PM
Appfan, Since Samford is almost a done deal that would put you guys at 12. If eveyone says they'd take back ETSU in a minute that makes 13 so my guess is that you guys stop at 14. The 14th member should NOT be a football school because that would give you 10 FB 14 BB. Maybe take someone like Winthrop

CollegeSportsInfo
February 1st, 2007, 01:34 PM
I have no bias in the potential moves of the SoCon. But I personally feel that Coastal carolina is a better fit for the conference. While CC doesn't extend the footprint at all, it would provide an all-sports member with minimal travel.

Golden Eagle
February 1st, 2007, 03:00 PM
Rumors of Western Illinois joining the OVC seem highly unlikely to myself.

Fresno St. Alum
February 1st, 2007, 05:33 PM
I have no bias in the potential moves of the SoCon. But I personally feel that Coastal carolina is a better fit for the conference. While CC doesn't extend the footprint at all, it would provide an all-sports member with minimal travel.

Hey, CollegeSportsInfo when are you gonna update your realignment page. I think the last time it was updated was September. Your site is very useful to me, good job man.

Mr. C
February 1st, 2007, 08:10 PM
Several schools don't want Coastal Carolina as a member. That has been talked about and discussed ad nauseam. There was a strong desire by the other private schools in the league (Furman, Wofford, Davidson) to bring a like-minded school into the fold. From what some CCU officials have told me, there has never been any official interest expressed for information or anything else by the SoCon towards Coastal Carolina.

citdog
February 1st, 2007, 08:17 PM
We need to get rid of these schools that either don't play football or play it on an unaccpctable level. CofC, Davidson, UNCG, etc have no business calling the Southern Conference home.

BigApp
February 1st, 2007, 10:02 PM
I agree citpup. Pee, or get off the pot.

ChooChoo
February 2nd, 2007, 12:17 AM
Why exactly can't Davidson play football in the SoCon? I know it's a scholarship situation but what does it matter? Does the SoCon require it or is it their decision not to participate? Is their a minimum amount of scholarships a SoCon football school has to offer? Clearly the scholarship schools would have the upper hand, but I would think Davidson playing their conference mates and natural rivals would benefit their school far beyond what the Pioneer offers.
What would be the problem with having a non-scholly football team in your confernce? Adding from within would seem to solve lots of issues.

citdog
February 2nd, 2007, 12:38 AM
This is The Southern Conference! Regardless of what the 'puters say the HIGHEST LEVEL OF FCS FOOTBALL!

Fresno St. Alum
February 2nd, 2007, 01:25 AM
Why exactly can't Davidson play football in the SoCon? I know it's a scholarship situation but what does it matter? Does the SoCon require it or is it their decision not to participate? Is their a minimum amount of scholarships a SoCon football school has to offer? Clearly the scholarship schools would have the upper hand, but I would think Davidson playing their conference mates and natural rivals would benefit their school far beyond what the Pioneer offers.
What would be the problem with having a non-scholly football team in your confernce? Adding from within would seem to solve lots of issues.
Why, because Davidson would never win a conference game 64 schollys vs 0. App St. 80, Davidson 1 (App let them use the Canadian rouse rule when you punt it in the endzone and its not returned out of it.)

Mr. C
February 2nd, 2007, 01:42 AM
Actually, the last game between App State and Davidson in 1986 was a 63-6 Mountaineer rout (that was ASU's first playoff team. As a No. 4 seed, the Mountaineers lost at home to Nicholls State 28-26 in the first round).

citdog
February 2nd, 2007, 01:56 AM
Our last game with Davidson was a 31-0 drubbing of the Wildcats in 1985.

The Dude
February 2nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Furman's last game with Davidson was 58-3 in 1987.

I now see why they aren't in the SoCon for football (although I do wish they'd step up their commitment and come back).