PDA

View Full Version : Tentative San Diego 2007 Schedule

GOTOREROS
January 31st, 2007, 11:14 AM
Here is what I have heard from the San Diego football office.....Someone said we were playing Southern Utah but it looks like we already have 11 games on the scheudle below. Perhaps a change has been made to add/drop someone....I would love to see Azusa Pacific gone and Southern Utah in its place....

2007 Tentative Schedule

9/1 @Azusa Pacific
9/8 Marist
9/15 Northern Colorado
9/22 BYE
9/29 @Butler
10/6 @Valpo
10/13 Drake
10/20 Jacksonville
10/27 @Dayton
11/3 Davidson
11/10 @Morehead State
11/17 @UC Davis

89Hen
January 31st, 2007, 11:17 AM
Oh boy, looks like we might have to endure another fall like last until 11/17. : smh :

ysubigred
January 31st, 2007, 11:24 AM
Oh boy, looks like we might have to endure another fall like last until 11/17. : smh :

WOW!! I'm shocked I didn't see the Blind Center U, U of Jerry's Kid's and Amputee College LOL!!!

:D :D :D

GannonFan
January 31st, 2007, 11:24 AM
Ughh. At least on the bright side, they actually play all their games before the playoffs this year. It's getting better at least.

GOTOREROS
January 31st, 2007, 11:36 AM
Well, of the 4 non-conference games two are against scholarship teams (UNC and UC Davis), 1 against Marist, and the bummer of course being Azusa Pacific (which is NAIA scholarship). The rest are conference games so not much we can do about that.

I realize what many of you are saying but it is probably better to put your toes in the water rather than jump into 4 full scholarship games. Just my opinion...

GOTOREROS

lizrdgizrd
January 31st, 2007, 11:38 AM
Well, of the 4 non-conference games two are against scholarship teams (UNC and UC Davis), 1 against Marist, and the bummer of course being Azusa Pacific (which is NAIA scholarship). The rest are conference games so not much we can do about that.

I realize what many of you are saying but it is probably better to put your toes in the water rather than jump into 4 full scholarship games. Just my opinion...

GOTOREROS
The way some of your folks were going on last year you could have taken App State. Why get scared about 4 scholly games?

At least you're making baby steps in the right direction. All games played before the playoffs. :thumbsup:

GannonFan
January 31st, 2007, 11:42 AM
Hey, everyone, even those from bad conferences, get a pass with one bad OOC team. It's when you get 2 of them that you start to question things. UC Davis and NoCo are perfectly fine - but both Marist and Azuza raise an eyebrow. Outside of Dusquene (who's leaving for this very reason) the rest of the MAAC isn't anything to write home about. Right now, they are not a good OOC game. And you're right, you can't do anything about your conference games, but that's all the more reason to have a good OOC schedule. Frankly, dropping either Marist or Azuza in favor of a quality FCS school (anybody from the Great West or BSC would do, maybe Southern Utah like you mentioned) and the comments about the schedule pretty much go away. Heck, you go 10-1 or 11-0 against that schedule and you're in the playoffs no questions asked - you might even make it at 9-2. With this schedule, 11-0 may be the only possibility and it's a long shot.

89Hen
January 31st, 2007, 11:46 AM
Could be, but just remind your comrades when USD is 6-0 that you will not make the playoffs with that schedule. I just can't imagine living through another November like last.

GOTOREROS
January 31st, 2007, 12:27 PM
Fair enough - I simply posted the tentative schedule. No predictions, or smack, we have a long way to go before making the playoffs. Rome wasn't built in a day....

poly51
January 31st, 2007, 12:35 PM

GOTOREROS

Still no Cal Poly???

Appstate29
January 31st, 2007, 12:42 PM
Hey better than last year, Rome wasn't built in a day.

MarkCCU
January 31st, 2007, 12:48 PM
Interesting...y'all got the playoffs scheduled in there already?

I hear tickets are easy to get early in the season.

Pauly LB
January 31st, 2007, 12:57 PM
This does not really look much better than last year. Rumor is that Cal Poly has tried to schedule USD but they will not do it. Then again, I would also expect that any good FCS team would want to stay away from scheduling USD for the simple reason that if they do not win BIG, then a close win is like a loss -- the same reason that respectable FCS teams stay away from scheduling division two or even worse NAIA teams...

It looks like another strong win season for USD and a lot of playoff smack (just like last year) with USD wondering why that HUGE victory over Azusa Pacific doesn't get them more love. The message boards will be unbearable...

DetroitFlyer
January 31st, 2007, 01:11 PM
Two, full scholarship teams, an NAIA scholarship team, a respectable FCS non-scholarship Marist and a full PFL slate. An 11-0 season should absolutely be worthy of a playoff bid. This utter nonsense that USD has to schedule Notre Dame and USC, and beat both of them by 50 points to even get a sniff at the FCS playoffs is absolute garbage! This is a good, FCS schedule and I hope USD finishes 10-1 with the only loss to my Flyers! If they do manage to go 11-0, keeping them out of the playoffs will simply further expose the weakness of the current process!!!!!

GOTOREROS
January 31st, 2007, 01:12 PM
This does not really look much better than last year. Rumor is that Cal Poly has tried to schedule USD but they will not do it. Then again, I would also expect that any good FCS team would want to stay away from scheduling USD for the simple reason that if they do not win BIG, then a close win is like a loss -- the same reason that respectable FCS teams stay away from scheduling division two or even worse NAIA teams...

It looks like another strong win season for USD and a lot of playoff smack (just like last year) with USD wondering why that HUGE victory over Azusa Pacific doesn't get them more love. The message boards will be unbearable...

Yes, Cal poly has tried to get USD on the schedule. But it seems that Cal Poly will not go Home & Home with USD....would love to see it.

GT

GannonFan
January 31st, 2007, 01:20 PM
Two, full scholarship teams, an NAIA scholarship team, a respectable FCS non-scholarship Marist and a full PFL slate. An 11-0 season should absolutely be worthy of a playoff bid. This utter nonsense that USD has to schedule Notre Dame and USC, and beat both of them by 50 points to even get a sniff at the FCS playoffs is absolute garbage! This is a good, FCS schedule and I hope USD finishes 10-1 with the only loss to my Flyers! If they do manage to go 11-0, keeping them out of the playoffs will simply further expose the weakness of the current process!!!!!

Ah, there's the voice of absurdity we've been waiting for. Tell me, where did a poster demand they schedule Notre Dame and USC, let alone beat them by significant margins? It's a passable schedule, not a "good" one. Even the poster himself commented on the weakness of the PFL. IMO, that's why playing both Azuza and Marist is the main weakness in the schedule - play one of them and there's no issue, play them both and you tempt the subjectiveness of a committee. But then again, you still think they got screwed royally last year (along with numerous PFL and Pioneer teams over the years) so this logic is apparently going to go right past you. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

89Hen
January 31st, 2007, 01:32 PM
Cripes, here we go again. Your posturing is pitiful and your use of hyperbole is ridiculous. :nonono2: :nono:

lizrdgizrd
January 31st, 2007, 01:50 PM
Uh oh, since MplsBison has thrown his hat into the ring for most annoying poster of 2007 DetroitFlyer had to step up early in the season to make sure he has the staying power through the primaries. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Pauly LB
January 31st, 2007, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer

THE USD POSTS ARE STARTING AGAIN !!!

Mr. C
January 31st, 2007, 02:13 PM
I'm sorry, but this is still a pitiful schedule. If anything, it's worse than the 2006 San Diego schedule. Even with Southern Utah replacing someone, it wouldn't be a very good schedule. Northern Colorado is a very poor Big Sky team. Marist plays in the terrible MAAC and isn't much of a program, either. The Red Foxes were thinking of dropping football a short time back. Neither of those teams is close to being as good as an Ivy League championship team like Yale was. And there is still Azusa Pacific on the schedule, too. You can expect that there might be a good game or two in the PFL from Drake, Dayton, or someone like that. UC Davis again is the only legitimate good team on the non-conference schedule. Even at 11-0, I'd be skeptical of the Toreros being a playoff-caliber squad. Replace Marist with Yale and play Cal Poly instead of Azusa Pacific and maybe you ar talking about a decent schedule.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 31st, 2007, 02:22 PM
This schedule, with all its "weaknesses", still boasts two scholly teams (one which was nationally-ranked last year in UC-Davis) and only one non-D-I school (Azusa Pacific, a team who has a semi-rivalry with USD). Despite having few FCS teams (let alone non-scholly) nearby, they somehow managed to get Marist on their schedule - an equivalent non-scholly to theirs. NoCo may be terrible, but they are a Big Sky team.

I wouldn't be punching a playoff ticket for USD even if they went 11-0, but this is a very good schedule... for a non-scholly school. If you look at this schedule compared to all the non-scholly schools, it will be the best. If you compare it to some Big South, SWAC, MEAC and other FCS schools, I bet they will be better than a surprising number of them.

Credit to USD. Now, play Cal Poly! :hurray:

DetroitFlyer
January 31st, 2007, 03:02 PM
So far, I know Dayton has Fordham, Robert Morris and Central State, OH, ( Division II ) for OOC games. Rumor is we have another game, but I'll believe it when I see it.... So, if Dayton went 10-0 or 11-0 with another game, lets say Duquesne, I'm sure this schedule would not be worthy either in many folks eyes. Let me say it again, PFL teams should not have to schedule the top four teams in FCS, beat them all, just to get a sniff at the playoffs. Yeah, I have this crazy notion that an NCAA recognized, FCS league should get a bid to the playoffs for it's champion. Yeah, I'm a real rebel....

GOTOREROS
January 31st, 2007, 03:05 PM
This schedule, with all its "weaknesses", still boasts two scholly teams (one which was nationally-ranked last year in UC-Davis) and only one non-D-I school (Azusa Pacific, a team who has a semi-rivalry with USD). Despite having few FCS teams (let alone non-scholly) nearby, they somehow managed to get Marist on their schedule - an equivalent non-scholly to theirs. NoCo may be terrible, but they are a Big Sky team.

I wouldn't be punching a playoff ticket for USD even if they went 11-0, but this is a very good schedule... for a non-scholly school. If you look at this schedule compared to all the non-scholly schools, it will be the best. If you compare it to some Big South, SWAC, MEAC and other FCS schools, I bet they will be better than a surprising number of them.

Credit to USD. Now, play Cal Poly! :hurray:

I thank you for a reasoned response. I think once again people are jumping the USD football program Jim Harbaugh is gone along with his self-promotion. It seems a schedule cannot be posted without the attacks beginning.

As you stated, USD is a non-scholly program and I with that in mind I think we have a very good schedule. I think poepl need to let the Jim Harabugh "promotion bus" go and get into reality. USD is a very good non-scholarship team and what will happen will happen. Will we make the playoffs? Probably not in 2007 but perhaps we can make a good showing and improve from there.

GT

GannonFan
January 31st, 2007, 03:11 PM
So far, I know Dayton has Fordham, Robert Morris and Central State, OH, ( Division II ) for OOC games. Rumor is we have another game, but I'll believe it when I see it.... So, if Dayton went 10-0 or 11-0 with another game, lets say Duquesne, I'm sure this schedule would not be worthy either in many folks eyes. Let me say it again, PFL teams should not have to schedule the top four teams in FCS, beat them all, just to get a sniff at the playoffs. Yeah, I have this crazy notion that an NCAA recognized, FCS league should get a bid to the playoffs for it's champion. Yeah, I'm a real rebel....

Man, doesn't having your head stuck in the sand so long eventually cause your neck to stiffen or at least ache? First you say people are demanding that PFL teams should schedule Notre Dame and USC and beat them by 50 points each before they get considered for the playoffs, now you are saying that people are demanding the PFL schedule the top 4 FCS teams and beat all of them. Where are you coming up with all of these fabrications? :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Most people said if San Diego would replace Marist or Azuza with even a Southern Utah (since your head is firmly planted in the sand I'll let you know that S. Utah was dead last in the Great West last year with only 1 win against a FCS team) then their schedule could warrant playoff inclusion even if they didn't go 11-0. Oh, and since S. Utah played in a 5 team conference last year and finished last that would by definition mean that they aren't a top 4 FCS team. Oh, and your reported schedule for Dayton is actually weaker than San Diego's so the answer to your question should be obvious. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Go...gate
January 31st, 2007, 03:23 PM
I can't believe they can't get some Ivy or Patriot school to do a home-and-home. Replace the NAIA school with Bucknell or Dartmouth and it would be a fine schedule.

youwouldno
January 31st, 2007, 03:29 PM
I have nothing against their schedule. They are a non-scholarship team and their schedule reflects that. But club football teams should not, and will not get into the FCS playoffs, unless they go out and prove they belong. This schedule cannot do that.

89Hen
January 31st, 2007, 03:36 PM
Let me say it again, PFL teams should not have to schedule the top four teams in FCS, beat them all, just to get a sniff at the playoffs.
Let me say it again... HYPERBOLE. You want a schedule for USD that would give them a sniff?

UC-Davis, Cal Poly, NAU and UNC.

That would be ONE ranked team from last year. Not the top four. Not Notre Dame and USC. Now, of course they do actually have to produce with this schedule. Probably 10-1. That would mean they could still have a sniff without even beating a ranked team. But you'd like everyone to believe that the "Old Guard" wants them to beat AppSt, Montana, YSU and Furman to get a bid. :nonono2:

GOTOREROS
January 31st, 2007, 03:37 PM
I have nothing against their schedule. They are a non-scholarship team and their schedule reflects that. But club football teams should not, and will not get into the FCS playoffs, unless they go out and prove they belong. This schedule cannot do that.

Yeah, Josh Johnson is a "club" football player...........xidiotx

So the Ivy League are "club" teams too huh? :read:

GT

AggiePride
January 31st, 2007, 03:48 PM
A tad bit better than last year, only really because of the timing of our game.

Again, not a good schedule to try and get a PO spot.

When you have to argue a perfect season for inclusion, that tells you something right there...

youwouldno
January 31st, 2007, 03:54 PM
Yeah, Josh Johnson is a "club" football player...........xidiotx

So the Ivy League are "club" teams too huh? :read:

GT

The Ivy League gives a ton of financial aid, but just avoids the word "scholarship" (like the Patriot League). Does San Diego give as much financial aid to football players as Harvard???

putter
January 31st, 2007, 04:18 PM
I think that if they replace Azuza with SUU it will be a step up for them. With having no scholarships and playing 3 FCS scholly teams is headed in the right direction. Give them a break as long as the playoff talk stays reasonable.

GOTOREROS
January 31st, 2007, 05:03 PM
The Ivy League gives a ton of financial aid, but just avoids the word "scholarship" (like the Patriot League). Does San Diego give as much financial aid to football players as Harvard???

Many players are receiving financial aid at USD. Perhaps not as much as Ivy schools but ask Yale if they think San Diego is a "club" team after losing to USD the last two seasons. If USD is a club team what does that say about the co-Ivy Champs???????

A club team that lost by 10 points to UC Davis in Davis, who just happened to beat Montana State 45-0 in Bozeman? USD is not an elite, or great FCS team but to call them a "club" team shows how little you know about FCS football.....xcoffeex

GT

USDFAN_55
January 31st, 2007, 05:03 PM
I can't believe they can't get some Ivy or Patriot school to do a home-and-home. Replace the NAIA school with Bucknell or Dartmouth and it would be a fine schedule.

They won't replace Azuza for the same reason Notre Dame won't replace Navy with a respectable opponent. It is a semi rivalry game that has been for many years. The day you see Navy off of Notre dame's schedule will be the day you see Azuza off of USD's.

89Hen
January 31st, 2007, 05:10 PM
They won't replace Azuza for the same reason Notre Dame won't replace Navy with a respectable opponent. It is a semi rivalry game that has been for many years. The day you see Navy off of Notre dame's schedule will be the day you see Azuza off of USD's.
Not really a valid analogy... Michigan, USC, MichSt, PennSt, BC... there are LOTS of great teams on ND's schedule. A Navy can easily be overlooked. With only a handful of OOC opportunities, USD has to make the most of them... IF they want respect. If they don't, then no problem with Azusa.

USDFAN_55
January 31st, 2007, 05:16 PM
Not really a valid analogy... Michigan, USC, MichSt, PennSt, BC... there are LOTS of great teams on ND's schedule. A Navy can easily be overlooked. With only a handful of OOC opportunities, USD has to make the most of them... IF they want respect. If they don't, then no problem with Azusa.
But if Notre Dame was stuck in a horrible conference like USD, then it would be an issue. I wasn't knocking Notre Dame's schedule at all. I was just pointing out that even the big boys have poor teams on their schedule.

So hypathetically speaking if say Lehigh in 15 years is a power house team no longer in the Patriot League, would everyone be saying the need to stop playing Lafayette? I know there is a lot more tradition in that game, but USD has a very young program and the Azuza game is the longest standing tradition for the Toreros. That game will simply not go away that easily.

DetroitFlyer
January 31st, 2007, 07:02 PM
Normally, Dayton, Drake, Morehead State and USD are pretty good. Davidson has been improving and JU is looking up. Even Butler and Valpo seem to moving in the right direction. Many PFL teams are improving their schedules. Keep in mind, USD has only been good the last three years or so, before that it was Dayton, Drake, and even Valpo won a PFL title. No PFL team has any reason to ever apologize for being a PFL team. The PFL is now and has been for 14 seasons, a full, FCS league. It is absolutely unacceptable that so many of you choose to treat the PFL with disdain and pretend like we are not an FCS conference. This CRAP about knowing our place, ( as in your OK as long as you do not want to be in the playoffs ), is getting old as well. Frankly, I can fully understand why the Ivy League wants virtually nothing to do with you! They just might be on to something!!!!!

GOTOREROS
January 31st, 2007, 07:59 PM
Normally, Dayton, Drake, Morehead State and USD are pretty good. Davidson has been improving and JU is looking up. Even Butler and Valpo seem to moving in the right direction. Many PFL teams are improving their schedules. Keep in mind, USD has only been good the last three years or so, before that it was Dayton, Drake, and even Valpo won a PFL title. No PFL team has any reason to ever apologize for being a PFL team. The PFL is now and has been for 14 seasons, a full, FCS league. It is absolutely unacceptable that so many of you choose to treat the PFL with disdain and pretend like we are not an FCS conference. This CRAP about knowing our place, ( as in your OK as long as you do not want to be in the playoffs ), is getting old as well. Frankly, I can fully understand why the Ivy League wants virtually nothing to do with you! They just might be on to something!!!!!

Agreed. With some people's logic FCS shouldn't even exist because they don't have 85 scholies. Either you are 85 full scholies or let's get rid of FCS. The only type of football should be BCS football - how's that for logic? Why is it OK to assume 63 is legit when 85 is the real benchmark?

It makes me laugh at the holier than thou attitude by many here....most of you can't afford 85 so why act all high and mighty when you are also in the poor house?

GT

UNHWildCats
January 31st, 2007, 08:56 PM

GOTOREROS

Dont care what ya'll do with your schedule, but i think a majority will agree with this, until your toes are wet and you actually have a schedule, lets not have 30 threads a day dedicated to why San Diego should be in the playoffs.

youwouldno
January 31st, 2007, 09:21 PM
Let's keep in mind that last year's San Diego team was possibly the best in the history of the PFL, certainly one of the best. The normal PFL team is far, far inferior to that USD team. And with Harbaugh gone and Johnson going to be a Sr, USD probably won't remain at their 2006 level either.

Honestly the whole controversy blows my mind. Dayton was one of the better teams in the PFL and lost to VMI and a D-II. Jacksonville was blown out by Gardner-Webb and SE La, two bad FCS teams. Also JU was blown out 41-6 by North Greenville, D-II. Morehead St went 0-2 against D-II.

So, with the exception of San Diego, the PFL struggles to beat D-II teams. And we are supposed to think the PFL is as good as the CAA, Gateway, SoCon, etc.? Please.

GannonFan
January 31st, 2007, 09:36 PM

Uh, the only person who actually called the PFL "horrible" was a fan of USD, a team actually in the PFL.

But if Notre Dame was stuck in a horrible conference like USD, then it would be an issue.

Maybe you should direct your venting towards him? Apparently he's part of the "Old Guard" now too??? xlolx xlolx xidiotx xidiotx xlolx xlolx

Model Citizen
January 31st, 2007, 09:40 PM
IF they want respect. If they don't, then no problem with Azusa.

It's not your respect they're after. They are respected where it counts.

YoUDeeMan
January 31st, 2007, 09:43 PM
It is absolutely unacceptable that so many of you choose to treat the PFL with disdain and pretend like we are not an FCS conference. This CRAP about knowing our place, ( as in your OK as long as you do not want to be in the playoffs ), is getting old as well.

1) The PFL is an FCS conference. People know that. :thumbsup:

2) Most people have no problem with any of the PFL teams wanting to be in the playoffs. :thumbsup:

3) Play some solid teams (more than one), beat some, and you'll earn a spot in the playoffs. :thumbsup:

4) Play lousy teams, win or lose, and sit home - regardless of the hype, anger, or tears. :thumbsup:

89Hen
February 1st, 2007, 09:07 AM
So hypathetically speaking if say Lehigh in 15 years is a power house team no longer in the Patriot League, would everyone be saying the need to stop playing Lafayette?
Not sure I follow your hypothetical. If LU became a I-AA powerhouse and say left for the CAA, a game against Lafayette, a team that's been to the playoffs several times now, is a perfectly acceptible game. If you're saying LU moved to I-A and became a powerhouse there, I'd assume they'd be in a BCS type conference... all of whose teams play I-AA's, so again that's fine.

89Hen
February 1st, 2007, 09:11 AM
This CRAP about knowing our place, ( as in your OK as long as you do not want to be in the playoffs ), is getting old as well. Frankly, I can fully understand why the Ivy League wants virtually nothing to do with you! They just might be on to something!!!!!
Wow. Just when I think I've seen the end of your ignorance, you expand it. The Ivy's decision has NOTHING to do with feeling left out of I-AA. It's an athletic philosophical decision (one that is rather hypocritical given that they allow other sports to participate). If they decided they wanted to participate and wanted an automatic bid, they could submit for one just like any eligible conference can.

89Hen
February 1st, 2007, 09:13 AM
It's not your respect they're after.
Really? Were you not here in October and November last year?

JMG1MON
February 1st, 2007, 09:52 AM
Lehigh/Lafayette is the longest running rivalry in college football (BCS/FCS/D-2,D-3). I do not think many people would have a problem with it. Besides, Lafayette is an FCS team from an auto-bid conference. Of course, if they went to BCS level, the game would not count towards bowl eligibility as of right now, but by then, who knows.

89Hen
February 1st, 2007, 09:54 AM
Of course, if they went to BCS level, the game would not count towards bowl eligibility as of right now
It actually would now.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 1st, 2007, 10:10 AM
Not sure I follow your hypothetical. If LU became a I-AA powerhouse and say left for the CAA, a game against Lafayette, a team that's been to the playoffs several times now, is a perfectly acceptible game. If you're saying LU moved to I-A and became a powerhouse there, I'd assume they'd be in a BCS type conference... all of whose teams play I-AA's, so again that's fine.

If Lehigh left the Patriot and jumped to FBS (which IMO would never happen), Lehigh would still play Lafayette every year because "The Rivalry" defines what Lehigh (and Lafayette) are as schools, not unlike Alabama State/Tuskeegee. I think they'd play even if it doesn't count towards a bowl.

Personally, I have zero problem with USD playing Azusa Pacific. They are local rivals, and one sub-D-I a year is fine, even if they are NAIA. If USD continues to dominate UAP so bad that the "rivalry" is one-sided, then maybe they have to re-evaluate things, but one local sub-D-I is fine. If you're going to complain about one sub-D-I a year, you're going to have a lot of complaining in our subdivision... I think every conference in FCS with the exception of the Patriot League and the Ivies have at least one team with a sub-D-I game on it. In some, every team in the league has a sub-D-I on the plate (Southland, MEAC, Big South).

DetroitFlyer
February 1st, 2007, 10:13 AM
Say whatever you want, the Ivy League chooses not to participate fully in FCS. You are certainly free to buy the argument that the Ivy League puts out in public. The more I interact with fans of FCS, the more I think there is much more to the Ivy League's position than meets the eye! Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

lizrdgizrd
February 1st, 2007, 10:18 AM
Say whatever you want, the Ivy League chooses not to participate fully in FCS. You are certainly free to buy the argument that the Ivy League puts out in public. The more I interact with fans of FCS, the more I think there is much more to the Ivy League's position than meets the eye! Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.
You caught us DF, we're such snobs that we don't want the Ivy league to participate in the playoffs. They've detected our feelings and have come up with a face-saving reason to eschew the playoffs. We have now turned our disdain upon the PFL and are hoping you will withdraw from your hopes of playoff games. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

89Hen
February 1st, 2007, 10:19 AM
Please elaborate then. Is it because they think they're 'better' then I-AA? Because they don't think they'd get a bid (whether auto or at-large)? Because they want to show support the PFL teams who are left out by the "OG"? What? :confused:

89Hen
February 1st, 2007, 10:22 AM
Personally, I have zero problem with USD playing Azusa Pacific. They are local rivals, and one sub-D-I a year is fine, even if they are NAIA.
I agree. Delaware has WCUPA. However, IF the intent is to make the playoffs, Azusa isn't going to help. The same way that WCUPA doesn't help UD. When the Hens beat WCUPA 84-0 a few years back, we actually dropped in the polls. I thought it was ridiculous, but I didn't have much ground on which to stand. If you play a weak team, don't expect to get credit for beating them. It's basically a throw away game in the I-AA landscape.

JMG1MON
February 1st, 2007, 10:31 AM
It actually would now.

Since when 89?? Everything I have ever seen is that you need to offer the full amount of scholarships at the FCS level in order for a game to count towards a bowl game at the BCS level.

bluehenbillk
February 1st, 2007, 10:46 AM
You have to go undefeated with that schedule & that may not even be enough.

"L.C. I feel your pain"

89Hen
February 1st, 2007, 10:47 AM
Since when 89?? Everything I have ever seen is that you need to offer the full amount of scholarships at the FCS level in order for a game to count towards a bowl game at the BCS level.
http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2006-07/2006-07_d1_manual.pdf

30.9.2.2 Exception — Division I-AA Opponent. [I-A] Each year, a Division I-A institution may count one victory against a Division I-AA opponent toward the six-win minimum, provided the Division I-AA opponent has averaged 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of grants-inaid per year in Division I-AA football over a rolling two-year period. (Adopted: 10/28/97 effective 8/1/98, Revised: 4/28/05)

AFAIK, PL grants-in-aid count.

ereiz03
February 1st, 2007, 02:25 PM
"I can't believe they can't get some Ivy or Patriot school to do a home-and-home."

The Ivy League teams that USD contacted to play this season said that they would not play USD again until Josh Johnson graduated.....no joke.

YoUDeeMan
February 1st, 2007, 02:48 PM
You have to go undefeated with that schedule & that may not even be enough.

"L.C. I feel your pain"

Hey, nice way to get around Big Brother's sig ban! :thumbsup:

AggiePride
February 1st, 2007, 02:50 PM
"I can't believe they can't get some Ivy or Patriot school to do a home-and-home."

The Ivy League teams that USD contacted to play this season said that they would not play USD again until Josh Johnson graduated.....no joke.
:thumbsup: Riiiight buddy.

proasu89
February 1st, 2007, 02:51 PM
Are you that delusional? Do you think that this message board or any other has an impact on the Ivy League's decision not to participate in the playoffs. FWIW, it's quite the hypocritical stance they are taking in leaving football out when other sports participate in post season action. What % of FCS fans would this message board represent anyway? .001%
Wow, what clout we must have. It's quite simple, schedule better competition.

YaleFootballFan
February 1st, 2007, 02:56 PM

I guess you can eliminate Yale and Dartmouth from among the Ivies that allegedly said that. Dartmouth's redundant OOC schedule (UNH/HC/Colgate) is set for the next decade and Yale's 07-12 schedule has been set for a few years now.

89Hen
February 1st, 2007, 03:37 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :rolleyes: :cool:

DUPFLFan
February 1st, 2007, 04:31 PM

Don't know where you are getting that from. When my son (Drake player) was recruited by the Ivy's there was NO financial aid offered... NONE...

It is need based only.

Model Citizen
February 1st, 2007, 04:40 PM
DU, he was probably asking about need-based aid. Unless you're very wealthy :thumbsup: they would've offered you something. Maybe not as much of a discount on full tuition as you anticipated...

As for USD, I don't think we offer as much as Harvard. Harvard's got bucks.

BigApp
February 1st, 2007, 10:05 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx dude, crazy assed statements like this don't garner you any respect on this board...xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

citdog
February 1st, 2007, 11:07 PM
Azusyza Pacific? Is that those guys from the movie The Life Aquatic, starring Bill Murray?

GOTOREROS
February 1st, 2007, 11:37 PM
Azusyza Pacific? Is that those guys from the movie The Life Aquatic, starring Bill Murray?

Hey, that's a great movie! :nod:

citdog
February 1st, 2007, 11:38 PM
I am going to find and kill the shark that ate my friend...... possibly with dynamite.

GOTOREROS
February 1st, 2007, 11:41 PM
I am going to find and kill the shark that ate my friend...... possibly with dynamite.

"You must swear, legally swear that you will not kill that shark, or whatever it is, if it actually exists."

citdog
February 2nd, 2007, 06:40 PM
Call me Stevesy!

TexasTerror
March 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Schedule confirmed...

Of note, "Ky Snyder, USD's Executive Director of Athletics, has also secured contracts for future football contests with Ivy League members Harvard and Princeton. The Toreros will play at Harvard in 2012, and host the Crimson in 2013; and play at Harvard again in 2018, and host in 2019. The Toreros will host Princeton in 2014, and play the Tigers in New Jersey in 2017."

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022807aaa.html

BigApp
March 3rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
09/01 @ Azusa Pacific
09/08 Marist
09/15 Northern Colorado
09/22 OPEN
09/29 @ Butler
10/06 @ Valparaiso
10/13 Drake
10/20 Jacksonville
10/27 @ Dayton
11/03 Davidson
11/10 @ Morehead State
11/17 @ UC-Davis

AZGrizFan
March 3rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Let me say it again... HYPERBOLE. You want a schedule for USD that would give them a sniff?

UC-Davis, Cal Poly, NAU and UNC.

That would be ONE ranked team from last year. Not the top four. Not Notre Dame and USC. Now, of course they do actually have to produce with this schedule. Probably 10-1. That would mean they could still have a sniff without even beating a ranked team. But you'd like everyone to believe that the "Old Guard" wants them to beat AppSt, Montana, YSU and Furman to get a bid. :nonono2:

Thank you for not including UMass as one of the top 4. :D ;) :thumbsup:

catdaddy2402
March 3rd, 2007, 05:40 PM

Big difference there in that Navy is in the same classification as Notre Dame, thus counts towards postseason eligibility.

BisonBacker
March 4th, 2007, 07:19 AM

GOTOREROS

That may be your opinion but there had better not be any SD fans on here this fall telling us they deserve to be in the playoffs again. :bang:

ucdtim17
March 4th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Big difference there in that Navy is in the same classification as Notre Dame, thus counts towards postseason eligibility.

And Navy is actually good, which everyone likes to ignore when bashing ND for scheduling them

JMG1MON
March 4th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Notre Dame isn't the only team that gets bashed for having Navy on the schedule. Navy doesn't get anywhere near the respect it deserves.

March 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM
That may be your opinion but there had better not be any SD fans on here this fall telling us they deserve to be in the playoffs again. :bang:They scheduled pretty good OOC.

CopperCat
March 4th, 2007, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=GOTOREROS]Here is what I have heard from the San Diego football office.....Someone said we were playing Southern Utah but it looks like we already have 11 games on the scheudle below. Perhaps a change has been made to add/drop someone....I would love to see Azusa Pacific gone and Southern Utah in its place....

2007 Tentative Schedule

Nice to see some USD fans back on the board.:nod:

Col Hogan
March 4th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Thank you for not including UMass as one of the top 4. :D ;) :thumbsup:

Took care of the Griz last season...

wannabegaucho
March 4th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Azusa Pacific... who's next: Occidental? j/k

GoAgs72
March 4th, 2007, 11:31 PM
I'm not going to trash USD. They played a competitive game with UC Davis last season. I'm glad to have them coming back this season. We need the home games. I assume we will go to USD next year?? Like most GWFC members, we can't get most BSC members to come for home games (except Sac State) so why trash a team willing to come to Davis?

AZGrizFan
March 4th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Took care of the Griz last season...

Really? We played them? I never knew.... xcoffeex

March 5th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Really? We played them? I never knew.... xcoffeexNo. 3 UMass 19, No. 2 MONTANA 17

AZGrizFan
March 5th, 2007, 01:15 AM
No. 3 UMass 19, No. 2 MONTANA 17

Thanks for the info. What did coulson think of that game? :smiley_wi

Col Hogan
March 5th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the info. What did coulson think of that game? :smiley_wi

"And after their wins this weekend, there is little doubt that the cream has risen to the top."

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=82705

DUPFLFan
March 5th, 2007, 07:32 AM
: smh :
You know, it's pretty sad when a fan comes on to simply post his teams schedule and gets eight pages of trash.

Speaks to the prejudice against non-scholly teams...:mad:

To those concerned about USD posts.. Perhaps your prejudice causes it.

WyomingGrizFan
March 6th, 2007, 01:57 AM
On my own part, I would luv to play San Diego; maybe not in the autumn type games when it's generally warm but probably in November when it's not so warm. Road game preferably, that is. Needless to say I'am getting mighty tired of snow these days. Looking forward to spring football.:nod:

Sounds like they got a pretty good wbb team; maybe schedule a couple games there as well?

The Moody1
March 6th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I guess you can eliminate Yale and Dartmouth from among the Ivies that allegedly said that. Dartmouth's redundant OOC schedule (UNH/HC/Colgate) is set for the next decade and Yale's 07-12 schedule has been set for a few years now.

Yale and Dartmouth heard about Josh Johnson when he was in grade school and scheduled around him.