PDA

View Full Version : Idaho To FCS - Not ALL Bad

SU DOG
August 1st, 2017, 08:12 PM
Interesting article:

http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/idaho-back-together-with-fcs-doesnt-bad.html

BigGoosie13
August 1st, 2017, 08:39 PM
Didn't read the article, but I would love for SDSU to get a home-and-home going with them, that I do know.

dewey
August 1st, 2017, 09:06 PM
Interesting article:

http://thecomeback.com/ncaa/idaho-back-together-with-fcs-doesnt-bad.html

God article but at least one detail is wrong.

"Last season, North Dakota State and South Dakota State played in the FCS Semis, drawing the largest-ever rating for an FCS game."

I think Idaho coming back to the GAS and Big Sky is a great thing for the FCS.

Dewey

Laker
August 1st, 2017, 09:13 PM
Personally I think Idaho back with their old Big Sky rivals is a great thing.

They are the first team to come back to FCS from FBS but they shouldn't be the last.

dgtw
August 2nd, 2017, 11:00 AM

They are the first team to come back to FCS from FBS but they shouldn't be the last.

They only dropped down because the Sun Belt kicked them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 2nd, 2017, 11:05 AM

Hopefully UMass is next!!

Daytripper
August 2nd, 2017, 11:08 AM
Texas State should drop back also.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 2nd, 2017, 11:14 AM
God article but at least one detail is wrong.

"Last season, North Dakota State and South Dakota State played in the FCS Semis, drawing the largest-ever rating for an FCS game."

I think Idaho coming back to the GAS and Big Sky is a great thing for the FCS.

Dewey

I'm pretty sure the largest ever viewed FCS games were Montana v App State in the 2009 semis....and Montana vs NDSU to begin the season 2 years ago.....both games in Missoula.

GetEmGriz
August 2nd, 2017, 11:51 AM
I'm pretty sure the largest ever viewed FCS games were Montana v App State in the 2009 semis....and Montana vs NDSU to begin the season 2 years ago.....both games in Missoula.

The Montana vs App State game in 2009 was the largest viewed FCS game up until last year's NDSU/SDSU playoff game. If there ever is a Montana/NDSU playoff game, that will break records.

Schism55
August 2nd, 2017, 12:10 PM
The Montana vs App State game in 2009 was the largest viewed FCS game up until last year's NDSU/SDSU playoff game. If there ever is a Montana/NDSU playoff game, that will break records.
Ummmm

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400854530

ursus arctos horribilis
August 2nd, 2017, 12:30 PM
The article also says they will lose 22 scholarships which is true on it's face but Idaho is probably only giving up about 10-12 scholarships because I remember looking into this a couple years back and they were only giving around 70 I think it was.

They will have better attendance and their balance sheet will quickly start looking bette with the cost reductions. They were never FBS. I am happy to have them in conference again.

ASU33
August 2nd, 2017, 03:16 PM
The article also says they will lose 22 scholarships which is true on it's face but Idaho is probably only giving up about 10-12 scholarships because I remember looking into this a couple years back and they were only giving around 70 I think it was.

They will have better attendance and their balance sheet will quickly start looking bette with the cost reductions. They were never FBS. I am happy to have them in conference again.

True!

kdinva
August 2nd, 2017, 03:17 PM
They will have better attendance ......

Agree: Idaho will draw more for games vs. EWU and Montana vs. Ga. State, Ga. Southern, etc....

ursus arctos horribilis
August 2nd, 2017, 03:23 PM
Agree: Idaho will draw more for games vs. EWU and Montana vs. Ga. State, Ga. Southern, etc....

Their local economy in Moscow will do much better as well due to us dicks purchasing hotels, beers, foods, etc. too.

It hurts their pride, I know that but I think this will be prety good for them in the next decade. It's also got to be hard on their pride that they have beena punchline for the last couple of decades.

KPSUL
August 2nd, 2017, 03:24 PM
Hopefully UMass is next!!
The Patriot League can have'em. You need at least one more team anyway.

UNH picked up an incoming Freshman this summer who had been an Idaho commit. Wondering if they had rescinded his previous scholarship offer.

Utgrizfan
August 2nd, 2017, 06:44 PM
The only issue I have with Idaho coming back is that it won't change the scheduling Shenanigans the Big Sky has been going with for the last couple years. Personally I'd like us to add another or drop another school so we could break the division down into "pods" foe scheduling purposes, for example:

NORTH:
-Montana
-MSU
-Idaho
-ISU
-EWU
-PSU
-UNC

SOUTH:
-UC-Davis
-Sac State
-Cal Poly
-NAU
-WSU
-SUU
-San Diego (purely as an example)

Ideally we would have one team leave the conference however I'm not sure which program would want to / need to.

catamount man
August 2nd, 2017, 06:55 PM
One good thing about Idaho's time in FBS. They participated in 3 bowl games and won all 3 of them. As far as I know they will be the only FCS team to go undefeated in FBS bowl games. Idaho/Montana, Idaho/ISU, Idaho/EWU may have to be on my bucket list someday.

Laker
August 2nd, 2017, 06:58 PM

Ideally we would have one team leave the conference however I'm not sure which program would want to / need to.

Add New Mexico State???

Utgrizfan
August 2nd, 2017, 07:00 PM
Add New Mexico State???

They would be an ideal choice if not for their Athletic Department seeming hell-bent on remaining FBS

WestCoastAggie
August 2nd, 2017, 07:17 PM
The only issue I have with Idaho coming back is that it won't change the scheduling Shenanigans the Big Sky has been going with for the last couple years. Personally I'd like us to add another or drop another school so we could break the division down into "pods" foe scheduling purposes, for example:

NORTH:
-Montana
-MSU
-Idaho
-ISU
-EWU
-PSU
-UNC

SOUTH:
-UC-Davis
-Sac State
-Cal Poly
-NAU
-WSU
-SUU

The Big Sky could just split in half.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 2nd, 2017, 08:54 PM
Ummmm

There is something that the 2009 App-Montana playoff game, the 2012 Georgia Southern-ODU playoff game, the 2015 NDSU-UNI playoff game, and the 2016 NDSU-SDSU playoff game have in common (besides that they all had great TV ratings).

They were all on the second Saturday of December. This is usually the week after the FBS conference championship games when the Heisman Trophy presentation is given. It always seems to produce the highest-rated TV games, at least of late. This date sets up the perfect national stage for the subdivision, and the FCS should take note of it.

Anthony215
August 3rd, 2017, 08:21 AM
I think Idaho stepping down to FCS is the best move long term for their program. Bruised egos aside the program was never making any money as a FBS program, became a dormat for all other FBS programs and despite winning a bowl game last season they historically have been pushovers. Hard to win a kid who has other G5 offers away to play in a small 40 year old dome. More than likely they're probably operating on 70-75 scholarships for the 2017 season which is their last FBS season.

Laker
August 3rd, 2017, 08:39 AM
Texas State should drop back also.

After they spent so much money on a new secondary mark? :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGTtAhWUIAAqaL_.jpg:large

Hammersmith
August 3rd, 2017, 09:09 AM

NORTH:
-Montana
-MSU
-Idaho
-ISU
-EWU
-PSU
-UNC

SOUTH:
-UC-Davis
-Sac State
-Cal Poly
-NAU
-WSU
-SUU

I would love to see the Summit/MVFC take UNC off your hands so that the Summit would have a travel partner for Denver and the MVFC could break into divisions without the West being an absolute bloodbath, but I don't see any good reason for UNC to want to make the switch. The choice for them is mostly neutral, but the couple positives(better basketball and marginally better football) don't outweigh the negatives(UNC identifies as a mountain/western school and almost all the Summit/MVFC schools are midwestern).

mmiller_34
August 3rd, 2017, 09:42 AM
So, when do Idaho fans start showing up at AGS?

clenz
August 3rd, 2017, 10:35 AM
They don't.

They literally shut their fan board down after the move was announced.

mmiller_34
August 3rd, 2017, 11:02 AM
They don't.

LOL

Grizalltheway
August 3rd, 2017, 11:02 AM
Ummmm

Please delete this

mvemjsunpx
August 3rd, 2017, 11:59 AM
They don't.

It's still there: http://scout.com/college/idaho/Board

clenz
August 3rd, 2017, 12:03 PM
They brought it back then.

It was gone for a while. I know that for a fact

ursus arctos horribilis
August 3rd, 2017, 01:17 PM
They brought it back then.

It was gone for a while. I know that for a fact

Yeah, we had a thread here when it shut down. I expect very few to show up here right away. I think we have one "MT Vandal" or something like that who was here now and then even prior to the announcement I think.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 3rd, 2017, 01:20 PM
I think Idaho stepping down to FCS is the best move long term for their program. Bruised egos aside the program was never making any money as a FBS program, became a dormat for all other FBS programs and despite winning a bowl game last season they historically have been pushovers. Hard to win a kid who has other G5 offers away to play in a small 40 year old dome. More than likely they're probably operating on 70-75 scholarships for the 2017 season which is their last FBS season.

I had mentioned n an earlier post that they were only at just over 70 even before this move from what I remember. I don't think they had to do a thing to reach that mark.

mvemjsunpx
August 3rd, 2017, 02:29 PM
Yeah, we had a thread here when it shut down. I expect very few to show up here right away. I think we have one "MT Vandal" or something like that who was here now and then even prior to the announcement I think.

Was it actually shut down? I remember something about the owner/moderator leaving, but I'm not sure the board actually went dark (despite possible claims that it would). The posts on the Scout board still go back to 2001.

dgtw
August 3rd, 2017, 04:30 PM
I lurked on their board for a while after the decided to drop down. A lot of people were saying they would no longer support Idaho football.

I do recall something about the owner or admin leaving, but not really sure what it was about.

I have popped back in from time to time and never been unable to get in. I looked earlier today and the board had a different look. So maybe they did close and reopen under new management.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 3rd, 2017, 04:34 PM
Was it actually shut down? I remember something about the owner/moderator leaving, but I'm not sure the board actually went dark (despite possible claims that it would). The posts on the Scout board still go back to 2001.

I'd have to go look at the date cuz I don't go visit it too often but was looking a few times after the announcement and they did say it was closing up shop but don't know if it did or not.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 3rd, 2017, 04:36 PM
I lurked on their board for a while after the decided to drop down. A lot of people were saying they would no longer support Idaho football.

I do recall something about the owner or admin leaving, but not really sure what it was about.

I have popped back in from time to time and never been unable to get in. I looked earlier today and the board had a different look. So maybe they did close and reopen under new management.

That was what I noticed as well. The board is either a different software or a newer one cuz the look is very different and actually more like AGS now that it used to be.

Bisonoline
August 3rd, 2017, 05:13 PM

If I remember correctly he refused to be associated with the FCS or something like that.

Grizalltheway
August 3rd, 2017, 05:41 PM
If I remember correctly he refused to be associated with the FCS or something like that.
But he was fine with being a laughingstock of FBS? Funny/sad.

Laker
August 3rd, 2017, 06:12 PM
But he was fine with being a laughingstock of FBS? Funny/sad.

I told my students for decades- don't burn your bridges, it is easier to cross one that swim across a flood.

I was in the general office when a high school junior got news that her folks were moving to new job and she would have to leave a spot where she had been all of her life. She was crying and hugging people when I saw her through the window. She gave me the finger for no reason other than nervousness. Later she found out that she could finish the school year with another family. She was pretty apologetic and said, "You know that I wasn't serious when I gave you the finger, right."

I said, "Of course I knew that you were kidding. But I'm still giving you a detention for it." She said, yep, I deserved it.

cx500d
August 3rd, 2017, 06:16 PM
I told my students for decades- don't burn your bridges, it is easier to cross one that swim across a flood.

I was in the general office when a high school junior got news that her folks were moving to new job and she would have to leave a spot where she had been all of her life. She was crying and hugging people when I saw her through the window. She gave me the finger for no reason other than nervousness. Later she found out that she could finish the school year with another family. She was pretty apologetic and said, "You know that I wasn't serious when I gave you the finger, right."

I said, "Of course I knew that you were kidding. But I'm still giving you a detention for it." She said, yep, I deserved it.
You dick!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n7zfnbdyAW8

catamount man
August 3rd, 2017, 07:34 PM

They are all hot air. Guarantee you if Idaho gets a couple of BSC titles under their belts and make the playoffs consistently that they will be rockin in the Kibbie Dome.

mvemjsunpx
August 3rd, 2017, 09:05 PM

The comical self-loathing on that board is at a level even Idaho State & Northern Colorado can't match.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 4th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Idaho will be a whipping boy for awhile until they up their talent level, then in a few years they will be an above average BSC team on a consistent basis.

POD Knows
August 4th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Idaho will be a whipping boy for awhile until they up their talent level, then in a few years they will be an above average BSC team on a consistent basis.So they will just suck on a national level.

Bisonwinagn
August 5th, 2017, 12:37 AM
When do they start the 5 year transition period? xcoffeex

GABison
August 5th, 2017, 11:08 AM
This is the Idaho site I check in with every once and while.

http://scout.com/college/idaho/Board

Schism55
August 5th, 2017, 02:18 PM
They are all hot air. Guarantee you if Idaho gets a couple of BSC titles under their belts and make the playoffs consistently that they will be rockin in the Kibbie Dome.
Absolutely this.
Here's hoping the administration/faculty/students and fans are fully supportive.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 5th, 2017, 06:36 PM
When do they start the 5 year transition period? xcoffeex

Well, all their athletes are/were recruited under D1 rules so I assume it just a matter of getting down under the FCS requirements through attrition. As I've said previously they are really not far over FCS rules currently and once they split some scholarships I doubt it would take long.

Now, if they were recruiting under D2 rules and moving up then the 5 years would indeed be appropriate to clear out the D2 kids.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 5th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Absolutely this.
Here's hoping the administration/faculty/students and fans are fully supportive.

They won't be fully supportive for a while but after a few years with the freshmen class coming in next season and going to games it will begin was away fairly quickly I would think. Once all the students that were "FBS fans" are gone, it's pretty much over.

GreenGlasses
August 5th, 2017, 11:56 PM
Idaho will be a whipping boy for awhile until they up their talent level, then in a few years they will be an above average BSC team on a consistent basis.

Idaho was 9-4 last year, If Paul Patrino stays I think they can keep their winning going, for them its just tooooo little to stay FBS right now.

Idaho Wins Last Year:
Montana State 20-17
UNLV 33-30 OT
Louisiana Monroe 34-31
New Mexico State 55-23
Louisiana Lafayette 23-13
Texas State 47-14
South Alabama 38-31
GA State 37-12
Bowl Game: Colorado State 61-50

Idaho Losses Last Year
#8 Washington 14-59
Washington State 6-56
Troy 13-34
Appy State 19-34

They should fit in well with the Big Sky were they were from 1963-1995. If they come in an start to win some I could see the Kibbe Dome rockin' soon with Montana, Eastern Washington, Northern Arizona, North Dakota and Weber State

citdog
August 6th, 2017, 12:07 AM
Idaho was 9-4 last year, If Paul Patrino stays I think they can keep their winning going, for them its just tooooo little to stay FBS right now.

Idaho Wins Last Year:
Montana State 20-17
UNLV 33-30 OT
Louisiana Monroe 34-31
New Mexico State 55-23
Louisiana Lafayette 23-13
Texas State 47-14
South Alabama 38-31
GA State 37-12
Bowl Game: Colorado State 61-50

Idaho Losses Last Year
#8 Washington 14-59
Washington State 6-56
Troy 13-34
Appy State 19-34

They should fit in well with the Big Sky were they were from 1963-1995. If they come in an start to win some I could see the Kibbe Dome rockin' soon with Montana, Eastern Washington, Northern Arizona, North Dakota and Weber State

Montana State STUNK and besides the Huskies and the Cougars could have been the BEST team they played ALL year. The sun belch champion would have been knocked out of the FCS Playoffs in the FIRST ROUND.

GreenGlasses
August 6th, 2017, 12:42 AM
The sun belch champion would gave been knocked out of the FCS Playoffs in the FIRST ROUND.

Since there were co-champs in the Sun Belt setting at 10-3, I would think they would both have a top 5-6 seed where the Cit could only pull a 10 seed at 10-2. And well they got beat by #19 and unseeded Wofford in the 1st round, since the Cit avoided playing Wofford in conference, they didn't know what hit them. Both Appy State and Arkansas State the Sun Belt co-champs would have dispatched the Cit in record time.

Now back to the regularly scheduled posts on this thread about Idaho, sorry for hijacking the thread.

BTW The Cit sucks and so does Furman.....

citdog
August 6th, 2017, 12:59 AM
Since there were co-champs in the Sun Belt setting at 10-3, I would think they would both have a top 5-6 seed where the Cit could only pull a 10 seed at 10-2. And well they got beat by #19 and unseeded Wofford in the 1st round, since the Cit avoided playing Wofford in conference, they didn't know what hit them. Both Appy State and Arkansas State the Sun Belt co-champs would have dispatched the Cit in record time.

Now back to the regularly scheduled posts on this thread about Idaho, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Shows what YOU know. THE CITADEL defeated Wofford in Spartanburg in Week 9. You should REALLY NOT show your ignorance on a public forum and just keep it as a private affair among your own family. The Citadel, BACK TO BACK SOUTHERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS were the #6 seed. PRETTY SAD that pig's ass, ga and the mountain goat humpers from Boone faired so POORLY in the SoCon their last two years but moved "UP" to the sun belch and were among the best teams that ****ty league have EVER produced...

cx500d
August 6th, 2017, 01:39 PM

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder261/38558261.jpg