PDA

View Full Version : UCONN LB Transfers to Delaware

HENJOHN
January 30th, 2007, 07:36 AM
According to a newspaper in Harrisonburg, Va and the UD Recruiting board, this guy is transferring from UCONN to UD. A 6-3, 225 LB, Jonathon Smith started 2 games for the Huskies this past season and played in all 12 games.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/MFootball/2007/Bios/smithjo.html

SunCoastBlueHen
January 30th, 2007, 07:47 AM
We've now brought in a couple transfer LBs and a defensive end. Now we just need a couple defensive backs and an interior lineman or two and we'll be all set! :thumbsup:

89Hen
January 30th, 2007, 08:14 AM
We're getting pretty close to filling our defensive wish list. IF these guys are good, we may have an interesting fall. :thumbsup:

jmuroller
January 30th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Is your whole defense next year going to be transfers?

mcveyrl
January 30th, 2007, 09:50 AM

They hope! It sounds like it might just work, though. Hope that they're good, except when we visit, at which point I hope they develop some sort of week-long virus.

GannonFan
January 30th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Well, if we only line up 3 or 4 guys, then yes, I guess you're right, they'll all be transfers. We may still try to field the whole 11 though, even if that means some non-transfer guys, just to be on the safe side. :smiley_wi

jmuroller
January 30th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Honest question here..

Is KC on the hot seat? How many games does he have to win next year to keep his job? UD has a proud tradition and I'm sure they won't put with many more 5-6 seasons.

SunCoastBlueHen
January 30th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Honest question here..

Is KC on the hot seat? How many games does he have to win next year to keep his job? UD has a proud tradition and I'm sure they won't put with many more 5-6 seasons.

I don't think his job is in immediate danger - but is he starting to feel some pressure? Absolutely. If the Hen's do not make the playoffs this coming season, the heat will be turned up on KC and I'm sure he knows it.

Keep in mind - our AD let our previous basketball coach run the program completely into the ground before he was finally let go.

mcveyrl
January 30th, 2007, 09:58 AM
This gets us further off topic, but...

Do any Hen fans think that he's gone if you all don't make the playoffs this year?

GannonFan
January 30th, 2007, 10:03 AM
KC's not going to be fired pretty much regardless of what he does this year, no matter what some hotheads on a message board may think. UD doesn't work that way and they certainly don't care what is said on a message board - we're not GSU. Certainly there would be upset fans if UD only goes 6-5 this year, especially with what the offense is returning (10 starters plus a healthy Cuff and a stud in Flacco at QB), but there were some dry periods under Tubby as well and he lasted pretty long. Of course, I don't think we're going 6-5 or worse this year so the point will probably be moot.

In reality, what could spell the doom for KC would be any further off-the field incidents - winning football games is important, but not as important as having quality character guys wearing the uniforms. Having those 3 guys last off season get busted for a felony was easily one of the worst periods I can remember in UD's football history - most people don't fault KC personally for that as there was little indication that these guys were felon-material, and KC has done all the right things since then, but anything close like that happening again would mean that KC isn't getting it done. Of course, there were 97 guys or so last year who weren't felons so KC may very well be doing okay in that area.

But to answer your question, as long as he doesn't go 0-11 next year he won't be fired.

HENJOHN
January 30th, 2007, 10:11 AM
This gets us further off topic, but...

Do any Hen fans think that he's gone if you all don't make the playoffs this year?

No way this will happen............but it will be a moot point since we will be revisiting the Post season again in 2007........:nod:

mcveyrl
January 30th, 2007, 10:25 AM
No way this will happen............but it will be a moot point since we will be revisiting the Post season again in 2007........:nod:

I, unfortunately, agree. Sounds like the defense is shaping up to give the offense the help it needs...

I wouldn't be surprise if UD and JMU reversed this year

ChickenMan
January 30th, 2007, 11:14 AM
KC bought himself some good time with the '03 title... but when you combine the off the field problems with UD's modest play over the past two seasons... the natives are definately beginning to get restless. Another mediocre season isn't likely to result in KC being sacked in '07... but a subpar year will... turn the heat way up and the wolves would likely be at the door if major improvement didn't occur by '08.

89Hen
January 30th, 2007, 11:17 AM
KC's not going to be fired pretty much regardless of what he does this year, no matter what some hotheads on a message board may think.
What he said. I rarely even go on gohens.net anymore because of all the negativity. The few idiots ruin it for everyone else. Keeler's job should not even be in question at this point. :cool:

Also, as SunCoast said, UD is not quick on the draw to fire coaches.

ChickenMan
January 30th, 2007, 11:29 AM
but there were some dry periods under Tubby as well and he lasted pretty long.

After going 6-3 & 2-7 in his first two years... Tubby had only five other seasons over the next 34 years where he failed to win at least 7 or more games. TR did hit somewhat of a dry spell '87 through '90 when the Hens went 25-20.

Unfortunately KC has already had three sub 7 wins seasons in his first five years.

89Hen
January 30th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Unfortunately KC has already had three sub 7 wins seasons in his first five years.
Hard to pin 2002 on him and FWIW, as you know they were two chip shot FG's away from 8-4.

GannonFan
January 30th, 2007, 11:48 AM
What he said. I rarely even go on gohens.net anymore because of all the negativity. The few idiots ruin it for everyone else. Keeler's job should not even be in question at this point. :cool:

Also, as SunCoast said, UD is not quick on the draw to fire coaches.

You just need to ignore the real bad culprits - plenty of good information on that site from the posters that are truly in the know. ;)

89Hen
January 30th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Tubby had only five other seasons over the next 34 years where he failed to win at least 7 or more games.
God bless Tubby, but he also failed to win a I-AA National Championship. I think I'd rather suffer through a couple more sub 7 win seasons and have NC's then win 7+ every year but never the big one.

89Hen
January 30th, 2007, 11:55 AM
You just need to ignore the real bad culprits
Yeah, but you know how much I like to argue and those guys preoccupy me when I go there.

jmufootball2
January 30th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Flacco is good, but you lose your great TE, who is going to step up cathing the ball?

ChickenMan
January 30th, 2007, 12:09 PM
God bless Tubby, but he also failed to win a I-AA National Championship. I think I'd rather suffer through a couple more sub 7 win seasons and have NC's then win 7+ every year but never the big one.

As I already posted... '03 bought KC some good time... but that won't last forever. I'm no KC basher... but the fact is... after 4 or 5 years a new coach has 'his' players and 'his' program in place and it's usually time enough to get a decent read on where the program is headed. I'm not nearly ready to advocate pulling the plug on Keeler... but fact is... the jury is still out relative to KC's ability to produce a quality football program. The next two years are critical.

ChickenMan
January 30th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Flacco is good, but you lose your great TE, who is going to step up cathing the ball?

Other than that great TE... everyone else is back along with what looks like a strong group of red-shirt Fr WRs.

bluehenbillk
January 30th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Keeler will be back for the '08 season no matter what but I agree that he is feeling some heat for going .500 over the past 2 seasons. UD just have different expectations than the rest of the CAA when it comes to football. The fan base is rabid & quick tempered, even Tubby got hammered for years. The main problem UD ran into the past 2 years were crappy previous recruting classes, but UD has got better in that area.

UD's offense looks like it can be as potent as any in the CAA this year with 10 returning starters. The defense is what has lost a lot of games the past 2 years.