PDA

View Full Version : 2017 CAA Football Media Day Tuesday 7/25

KPSUL
July 24th, 2017, 10:33 PM
Comments and reactions to the CAA Media Day scheduled for Tuesday, July 25th. 9:00 - 1:30

RootinFerDukes
July 25th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Well let's not get too excited for the upcoming season guys. Goodness gracious. It's like you're at work right now or something.

Anywho, the preseason poll was pretty much as expected except for the following:
#5 Delaware
#6 Albany

Delaware jumping all the way up to #5 with Rocco there without winning a single game? Remember, they finished #10 in 2016. I think that's a stretch this early.
Albany is disrespected by being placed #6. Yes that's where they were at the end of 2016, but shouldn't they see a slight bump with another year and their RB back?

jmu007
July 25th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Not a lot of new information really. Will say though, was nice to see Robert Carter get a nod as All CAA as a special teams player. (as mentioned over on JMU board)

BestDaneSinceHamlet
July 25th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Any word on TV contract?

UIWWildthing
July 25th, 2017, 10:55 AM
10th. Well, at least we're ranked ahead of someone!

CenMEBlackBearFan
July 25th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Maine picked 9th, the same as last yr and finished 4th. Having 4 starters on first team was 2nd only to JMU. Will find out if we are for real on 8/31, can't wait!!!

Henny
July 25th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Well let's not get too excited for the upcoming season guys. Goodness gracious. It's like you're at work right now or something.

Anywho, the preseason poll was pretty much as expected except for the following:
#5 Delaware
#6 Albany

Delaware jumping all the way up to #5 with Rocco there without winning a single game? Remember, they finished #10 in 2016. I think that's a stretch this early.
Albany is disrespected by being placed #6. Yes that's where they were at the end of 2016, but shouldn't they see a slight bump with another year and their RB back?

I think the coaches in the league realize UD is reinvesting in football and hiring Coach Rocco and his staff is a major step in that direction.

RootinFerDukes
July 25th, 2017, 11:45 AM
The upcoming streaming deal for the CAA. It looks like regular linear TV is no more for CAA football.

Greg Madia‏ @Madia_DNRSports (https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports)

Commish Joe D’Antonio: “We’ve been in negotiation with CBS Digital and Twitter.” … Says CAA is waiting on contracts to officially announce.

BestDaneSinceHamlet
July 25th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Fine by me. As long as I can watch it somewhere, I don't care.

The upcoming streaming deal for the CAA. It looks like regular linear TV is no more for CAA football.

Greg Madia‏ @Madia_DNRSports (https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports)

Commish Joe D’Antonio: “We’ve been in negotiation with CBS Digital and Twitter.” … Says CAA is waiting on contracts to officially announce.

NHwildEcat
July 25th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Agreed. I'd like in addition to any TV games for their to be streaming options for ALL games. It is 2017 after all!

Fine by me. As long as I can watch it somewhere, I don't care.

KPSUL
July 25th, 2017, 02:37 PM
#4 to #9 in the Preseason poll is truly a toss up. UNH placed 4th for 13 years of consistency, not an assessment of returning player strength, or the fact that we play our toughest games on the road (JMU, W&M and Albany) But frankly it makes sense to me - somebody had to be there. You really can't argue against success, and as long as Sean McDonnell is there they will be playing to win every week, and finding a way to do it frequently.

KPSUL
July 25th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Maine picked 9th, the same as last yr and finished 4th. Having 4 starters on first team was 2nd only to JMU. Will find out if we are for real on 8/31, can't wait!!!

Wishing you the very best! Starting on Sept 1st.

Gangtackle11
July 25th, 2017, 03:55 PM
I'm a little more cautious about my 'Cats. I'll have to see how we look against Lehigh before I grant them a playoff season. Lost 2 major parts to their defense as Tanoh Kpassagnon & Austin Calitro have moved on. Also lost 3rd team All-CAA DE Brian Osei on other side.

Offense didn't show up in all 4 losses so the 9-4 record was a little misleading. Best wins were Lehigh, Albany & Maine. Decent teams, but not sure it gives me a lot of confidence that this team is a 8-9 win squad. Plus Idc if Ferrante has been been there 30 years it's still a huge difference being the head guy now. Lots more than just football to think about when you are the man in charge.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but of the top 4 teams I think my 'Cats have the most questions to answer.

Excited for 9/2 to get here. Bring on the Mountain Hawks!!

bluehenbillk
July 26th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Any of the few Nova fans out there hear rumors of the UD-VU game being played at Citizens Bank Park in November??

centraljerseycat
July 26th, 2017, 07:58 AM
I'm looking forward to Sept 2nd at Lehigh as well. I'm not worried about the defense. Whether the Cats make the playoffs in 2017 will ride on the offense moving the ball against good competition and whether they've overcome their perennial battle of missed 30 yard field goals.
Bring on the Mountain Hawks!

Gangtackle11
July 26th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Any of the few Nova fans out there hear rumors of the UD-VU game being played at Citizens Bank Park in November??

I haven't. Don't have my tickets either, but you would think they'd tell their season tix holders at some point.

The Pud
July 26th, 2017, 01:18 PM
I think Richmond should be No. 1 and JMU No. 2.

RootinFerDukes
July 26th, 2017, 01:19 PM

Care to elaborate further?

The Pud
July 26th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Care to elaborate further?

No disrespect, but Richmond looks like a more balanced team heading into 2017, along with new head coach who is a proven winner. Essentially, in my humble opinion, JMU QB, Bryan Schor, will need to find new weapons in the passing game as three of his top five favourite targets have graduated. Also, JMU loses stud running back Khalid Abdullah, and the offensive line has some big holes to plug.

RootinFerDukes
July 26th, 2017, 01:32 PM
No disrespect, but Richmond looks like a more balanced team heading into 2017, along with new head coach who is a proven winner. Essentially, in my humble opinion, JMU QB, Bryan Schor, will need to find new weapons in the passing game as three of his top five favourite targets have graduated. Also, JMU loses stud running back Khalid Abdullah, and the offensive line has some big holes to plug.

This is all true but you're then failing to acknowledge the probably FCS best depth at the RB position, including a transfer from GA Tech, Marcus Marshall, who was their leading rusher the last two seasons. Word is the WR corp had a great spring including some up and coming talent that was deeper on the depth chart last year. One of the new OL starters was really the starter for the entire playoffs last year, so he isn't REALLY new. As far as I'm concerned, that counts as a returning starter.

DirtyDukes
July 26th, 2017, 02:16 PM

You troll as well as Soft Houston plays football, but i'll play along.

Richmond's new coach is a benefit? LOL Okay, lets ignore our head coach who won like 100 COTY awards last year. Also, we return Terrance Alls and John Miller (caught winning TD at NDSU).

Also, Rootin, you listed Marcus' dad instead of Marcus himself - easy mistake since he played at JMU.

RootinFerDukes
July 26th, 2017, 02:19 PM

Richmond's new coach is a benefit? LOL Okay, lets ignore our head coach who won like 100 COTY awards last year. Also, we return Terrance Alls and John Miller (caught winning TD at NDSU).

Also, Rootin, you listed Marcus' dad instead of Marcus himself - easy mistake since he played at JMU.

I did. Shoot. I will correct it haha. Another JMU great of course.

Gangtackle11
July 26th, 2017, 02:23 PM

You can help your argument by losing to Richmond in season opener.

The Pud
July 26th, 2017, 02:34 PM
You can help your argument by losing to Richmond in season opener.

This indeed very true, and likely to happen. Too bad Sammy isn't playing Nova.

jmufan999
July 26th, 2017, 03:05 PM
This indeed very true, and likely to happen. Too bad Sammy isn't playing Nova.

no, they would beat you, too. I can name at least 4 CAA teams who I am almost positive would beat you in your own house:

JMU
Ticks (multiple TDs)
UNH (multiple TDs)
Nova (could be close, simply because I don't trust the QB so it would be low scoring, and therefore close)

possibly Stony Brook. that would be an interesting game. really not much of a passing game for SBU, but they would pound you up the middle all game long and you have shown that you can't really stop that. but if you get a lead, SBU couldn't come back and the game could get out of hand in your favor. I don't know what to think of Delaware and Maine at this point, so I can't comment.

The Pud
July 26th, 2017, 03:14 PM
no, they would beat you, too. I can name at least 4 CAA teams who I am almost positive would beat you in your own house:

JMU
Ticks (multiple TDs)
UNH (multiple TDs)
Nova (could be close, simply because I don't trust the QB so it would be low scoring, and therefore close)

possibly Stony Brook. that would be an interesting game. really not much of a passing game for SBU, but they would pound you up the middle all game long and you have shown that you can't really stop that. but if you get a lead, SBU couldn't come back and the game could get out of hand in your favor. I don't know what to think of Delaware and Maine at this point, so I can't comment.

Very good points. Sammy's defensive has shown a definite weakness when playing a team with a solid running game. Hopefully the new Defensive Coordinator will correct this issue in 2017

KPSUL
July 26th, 2017, 03:19 PM

What he said, and:

If any CAA team has been hurt by the loss of their #1 receiver it would be Richmond, not JMU. Richmond relied more exclusively on Brian Brown than JMU did on Brandon Ravenel.

citdog
July 26th, 2017, 10:31 PM
Virginia FCS Football Fans should make sure to tune into ESPN RADIO Harrisonburg for FCS Nation Friday nights during the season. More info to follow...

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 27th, 2017, 02:17 AM

Not saying it won't end up that way - and certainly hope it does - but I cannot see anything to suggest this at current time. Too many questions-

-how do we adjust to new systems?
-is Lauletta healthy?
-Can we replace Brian Brown's production?
-Can we navigate a brutally imbalanced home versus road conference schedule?

I was pretty surprised that we took 3 1st place votes off JMU.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 27th, 2017, 02:34 AM

JMU
Ticks (multiple TDs)
UNH (multiple TDs)

Let's not get carried away here.

Did the Kats fail to show up in the cold in Harrisonburg back in December? Absolutely.

Are the Kats still one of the top programs in FCS? Absolutely.

Is Sam State going to be out to prove something to themselves and everyone else on 8-27? Yep.

Do I feel like JMU fans are setting up to ridicule us "spatter" supporters if we lose? 100% yes.

RootinFerDukes
July 27th, 2017, 06:02 AM
If UR can't beat soft Houston State, you're going to have to temper those expectations a bit. Shsu wouldn't be top 4 in today's caa, not when you get drubbed by 58 points.

Their defense was atrocious. UR should have a field day on 8/27.

DirtyDukes
July 27th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Spatters by forty

The Pud
July 27th, 2017, 08:00 AM
Spatters by forty

Richmond by 52

CHIP72
July 27th, 2017, 08:59 AM

Based on what I saw on the Villanova football website yesterday (7/26), it appears The Battle of the Blue will be played at Villanova Stadium and have a 1 PM start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmufan999
July 27th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Let's not get carried away here.
Did the Kats fail to show up in the cold in Harrisonburg back in December? Absolutely.
Are the Kats still one of the top programs in FCS? Absolutely.
Is Sam State going to be out to prove something to themselves and everyone else on 8-27? Yep.
Do I feel like JMU fans are setting up to ridicule us "spatter" supporters if we lose? 100% yes.

I had a whole post on this, but I don't feel like getting into it. I will say that many JMU fans, including myself, are rooting for Richmond. strength of schedule is crucial so we always need you to do well out of conference.

some JMU fans could be setting it up to ridicule you if you lose. you're right. i'm not doing that, because I truly believe SHSU does not have the same talent level as you all. but yes, if you lose, there will be endless ridicule and to be honest, you'll probably deserve it. that will either mean you choked or you're just not going to be very good this year. lot of pressure on the Spatters since there is almost no outcome that will be "impressive" to anyone. despite the pressure, you should win easily and a win is really all that matters.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 27th, 2017, 03:06 PM
I had a whole post on this, but I don't feel like getting into it. I will say that many JMU fans, including myself, are rooting for Richmond. strength of schedule is crucial so we always need you to do well out of conference.

some JMU fans could be setting it up to ridicule you if you lose. you're right. i'm not doing that, because I truly believe SHSU does not have the same talent level as you all. but yes, if you lose, there will be endless ridicule and to be honest, you'll probably deserve it. that will either mean you choked or you're just not going to be very good this year. lot of pressure on the Spatters since there is almost no outcome that will be "impressive" to anyone. despite the pressure, you should win easily and a win is really all that matters.

I think anyone would be foolish to judge a program on a single result. Should everyone still be judging JMU as being soft as a pillow because Colgate ran over, around and through JMU in November of 2015?

Somebody else can provide the list of teams that Sam State has defeated in the playoffs over the last 5 years. I know that one of them was at Villanova in a Quarterfinal.

jmufan999
July 27th, 2017, 08:39 PM
I think anyone would be foolish to judge a program on a single result.

dude. TWO RESULTS. they've been outscored by a score of 127-17 the last two games they've played against decent teams!!! 7 of which came against our 3rd stringers. so, 127-10 against starters. let that simmer for a minute. there are MEAC teams that could do better than that. if they had lost 35-17 both games, no one would be this confident. 110 point margin. even you, with the incredibly obvious agenda, has to see the enormous disparity there. i realize you're going to keep fighting, but i can almost guarantee that 90% of AGS will agree with me. the other 10% are Tick/Kat fans.

jmufan999
July 27th, 2017, 08:47 PM
i didn't even notice these other "points" you made. but they're absolutely ridiculous, so i'll address them.

Should everyone still be judging JMU as being soft as a pillow because Colgate ran over, around and through JMU in November of 2015?

if we had the same head coach, staff, system... sure. absolutely. people had reason to question us at the beginning of 2016. and we didn't figure out the defense last year until the Villanova game. we're obviously a different defense now. it would be asinine to compare the Withers program to the Houston program.

Somebody else can provide the list of teams that Sam State has defeated in the playoffs over the last 5 years. I know that one of them was at Villanova in a Quarterfinal.

let's see. someone was missing from that Villanova game. who was it? hm.... seems like it was an important player. who had played the week before. John Something? He won some kind of Palter Wayton award? am i correct on the award name?

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 27th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Well, I guess that pretty much settles it. Great work.

cx500d
July 27th, 2017, 09:40 PM
dude. TWO RESULTS. they've been outscored by a score of 127-17 the last two games they've played against decent teams!!! 7 of which came against our 3rd stringers. so, 127-10 against starters. let that simmer for a minute. there are MEAC teams that could do better than that. if they had lost 35-17 both games, no one would be this confident. 110 point margin. even you, with the incredibly obvious agenda, has to see the enormous disparity there. i realize you're going to keep fighting, but i can almost guarantee that 90% of AGS will agree with me. the other 10% are Tick/Kat fans.

Im sure JSU had some 3rd stringers in there too.

DirtyDukes
July 28th, 2017, 08:12 AM
The amount of spatters Sandbagging in this thread is TOO DAMN HIGH

Gangtackle11
July 28th, 2017, 09:40 AM
I think anyone would be foolish to judge a program on a single result. Should everyone still be judging JMU as being soft as a pillow because Colgate ran over, around and through JMU in November of 2015?

Nova makes no excuses losing to Sammy 34-31 w/o Walter Payton Award winner John Robertson out due to a concussion suffered in the game the week before. They beat us fair & square.

The Pud
July 28th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Nova makes no excuses losing to Sammy 34-31 w/o Walter Payton Award winner John Robertson out due to a concussion suffered in the game the week before. They beat us fair & square.

I traveled down from NYC to see that game. To date that is the best college football game I have ever seen. Game could have gone either way. Sammy was without its star WR and Safety, but still managed to pull out the win.

jmufan999
July 28th, 2017, 09:13 PM
you know, i didn't go back far enough in time. if you look at the game after the Villanova game, i had forgotten that the next game for SHSU against NDSU was a 35-3 loss. so that's three straight playoff losses: 35-3, 62-10, and 65-7. 13 total points scored against starters in three playoff blowouts. an average of 4.3 points/game against starters. that's incredible. ps - as if it couldn't get worse, the results are trending in the wrong direction (although you could argue that NDSU would have put up way more, but they simply have a different style of offense).

Dirty is right. there is CRAZY Tick sandbagging going on and who cares. go for it. sandbag away. won't make a lick of difference so whatever makes you feel good. i'll be watching, while simultaneously laughing and crying. which is also what i do during sex.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 29th, 2017, 02:57 PM
We are a touchdown underdog in the game. Is Vegas sandbagging on us all too?

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 29th, 2017, 02:59 PM
i'll be watching, while simultaneously laughing and crying. which is also what i do during sex.

You've never had sex, have you? What you are describing just doesn't happen during sex with a human woman.

cx500d
July 29th, 2017, 03:33 PM
You've never had sex, have you? What you are describing just doesn't happen during sex with a human woman.

https://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/5798318_700b.jpg

RootinFerDukes
July 29th, 2017, 06:36 PM
I'm watching the media day youtube videos of Cignetti and Huesman and I noticed two key differences between the tone from each new HC. Cignetti is saying "we will have a championship program". Huesman is more of a "well, we'll see. the hope is to win and compete". It's almost as if he's punting this season.

KPSUL
July 29th, 2017, 08:26 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25609&stc=1

DirtyDukes
July 30th, 2017, 08:57 AM

That's interesting. Regardless, I honestly think you guys win by multiple TDs.

jmufan999
July 31st, 2017, 04:18 PM

on what site(s)? I have yet to see a line on the game. I checked two sites.