PDA

View Full Version : Win at all costs: Recruiting Rapists

Pages : [1] 2 3

Penguin Nation
July 24th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Ma’lik Richmond, convicted of rape while in HS, is on the current YSU roster.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/11/malik-richmond_n_5669903.html

I'm out. I can't support a team that recruits rapists. I believe in second chances, which is why I initially supported Bo, Carl, and many players with checkered pasts. Some mistakes can't be made even once. Rape? NFW. Maybe I'll follow YSU FB again after Bo leaves after the 2018 season. I say this as a previously lifelong fan, alumni, and donor. My wife is a JMU alum, so until YSU FB becomes respectable again, go Dukes.

Panther88
July 24th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Personally, I don't see a problem, penguin nation. Seems to be norm and on par for the american football life:

In May, Steubenville superintendent Michael McVey, 51, was charged with felony counts (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/23/michael-mcvey_n_5382894.html?utm_hp_ref=steubenville-rape) of tampering with evidence and obstructing justice, and misdemeanor counts of falsification and obstructing official business in relation to the case.
In April, volunteer football coach Matt Belardine was sentenced to 10 days in jail (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/22/matt-belardine-no-contest_n_5193024.html?utm_hp_ref=steubenville-rape) for one count of making a false statement and one count of enabling underage drinking. His house was the scene of an underage drinking party that preceded the incident.
Also in April, wrestling coach Seth Fluharty was ordered to perform 20 hours of community as punishment for failing to report the rape.

Again, what's the problem? I see nothing but american normalcy w/ respect to illegal malfeasance about a football program. americans love their beloved [football] and the "win @ all cost" attitude that seemingly goes w/ it. Even the farce that the ncaa is proudly displaying w/ the precious apr dealio was 40+ years long overdue. The ONLY thing most americans care about w/ regards to an athletic "student" is "can he block, run, catch, or pass?" xsmhx baylor, smu, youngstown st, florida, florida st, tennessee, uofh, et al.

RootinFerDukes
July 24th, 2017, 10:14 AM
You have every right to be pissed here. I would be. Bo is already known for not having the shiniest reputation and this isn't doing himself any favors.

We're not talking about an allegation here and a potential cover-up, he said she said situation. He was actually convicted.

The Dukes welcome you. That almost must have made for an interesting december/january in your household, unless your wife just doesn't care about cfb.

Penguin Nation
July 24th, 2017, 10:18 AM
http://www.yourohiovalley.com/story/24368870/released-from-juvenile-detention-facility

The rapist's attorney's statement makes it sound like Ma'lik is the victim.

Penguin Nation
July 24th, 2017, 10:23 AM
You have every right to be pissed here. I would be. Bo is already known for not having the shiniest reputation and this isn't doing himself any favors.

We're not talking about an allegation here and a potential cover-up, he said she said situation. He was actually convicted.

The Dukes welcome you. That almost must have made for an interesting december/january in your household, unless your wife just doesn't care about cfb.

We had a lot of fun with it. We couldn't make the game but had a house party and back yard tailgate instead. She mercifully didn't gloat too much.

POD Knows
July 24th, 2017, 10:25 AM
The crime is that this idiot gets a year in juvy, pretty weak.

Laker
July 24th, 2017, 12:21 PM
The rapist's attorney's statement makes it sound like Ma'lik is the victim.

"At sixteen years old, Ma'Lik and his family endured hardness beyond imagination for any adult yet alone child. He has persevered the hardness and made the most of yet another unfortunate set of circumstances in his life. As with each other obstacle, Ma'Lik has met it squarely, lifted his chin, and set his shoulders; he is braced for the balance of his life."

Sound like he is looking for a medal- or a chest to pin it on. A heroic rapist- just what every team needs. What a load of crap.

cx500d
July 24th, 2017, 01:06 PM

I'm out. I can't support a team that recruits rapists. I believe in second chances, which is why I initially supported Bo, Carl, and many players with checkered pasts. Some mistakes can't be made even once. Rape? NFW. Maybe I'll follow YSU FB again after Bo leaves after the 2018 season. I say this as a previously lifelong fan, alumni, and donor. My wife is a JMU alum, so until YSU FB becomes respectable again, go Dukes.

We'll take you as a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milktruck74
July 24th, 2017, 01:08 PM
So will he have to sit on the bus when the team visits Children's Hospital since he is a register sexual predator?

RootinFerDukes
July 24th, 2017, 01:23 PM
"At sixteen years old, Ma'Lik and his family endured hardness beyond imagination for any adult yet alone child. He has persevered the hardness and made the most of yet another unfortunate set of circumstances in his life. As with each other obstacle, Ma'Lik has met it squarely, lifted his chin, and set his shoulders; he is braced for the balance of his life."

Sound like he is looking for a medal- or a chest to pin it on. A heroic rapist- just what every team needs. What a load of crap.

That's a level of spin I thought we were only getting out of washington.

dewey
July 24th, 2017, 01:50 PM

JFC! It is amazing that YSU would allow him to be on the university let alone the football team. You have every right as a supporter to be pissed off.

Have you called or emailed YSU about this?

Come to the green and gold side.

Dewey

Penguin Nation
July 24th, 2017, 02:23 PM
JFC! It is amazing that YSU would allow him to be on the university let alone the football team. You have every right as a supporter to be pissed off.

Dewey

Have you called or emailed YSU about this? yes

Come to the green and gold side. I've got nothin' but love and respect for the Bison, and most Valley teams (everyone not called the Bears), but Dukes were my #2 for awhile.

dewey
July 24th, 2017, 03:13 PM

Come to the green and gold side. I've got nothin' but love and respect for the Bison, and most Valley teams (everyone not called the Bears), but Dukes were my #2 for awhile.What kind of response did you get from YSU?

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Penguin Nation
July 24th, 2017, 03:37 PM
What kind of response did you get from YSU?

Dewey

The AD was not in, and I spoke with his secretary. Apparently I'm the first to have called as she didn't know about it, and softly implied it wasn't true. I told her his name, jersey#, and the story behind it, and then she said, "OMG I remember that on the news!"

dewey
July 24th, 2017, 03:39 PM
The AD was not in, and I spoke with his secretary. Apparently I'm the first to have called as she didn't know about it, and softly implied it wasn't true. I told her his name, jersey#, and the story behind it, and then she said, "OMG I remember that on the news!"Unfortunately most fans probably don't remember/know this but the AD and coach certainly know about it.

Dewey

POD Knows
July 24th, 2017, 03:52 PM

DeweyHe served his time, what are going to do, bury this kid forever. Apparently society thought one year in juvy was enough. Let him play, society set him free, nobody gives a **** about victims of crime. He should be able to play in order to put another a another nail in the coffin of leftist criminal coddling. **** it, who cares. More evidence on the leftist cancer on society.

cx500d
July 24th, 2017, 05:23 PM
The AD was not in, and I spoke with his secretary. Apparently I'm the first to have called as she didn't know about it, and softly implied it wasn't true. I told her his name, jersey#, and the story behind it, and then she said, "OMG I remember that on the news!"

Apparently very quietly swept under the rug....

GodHelpTheBears
July 24th, 2017, 05:26 PM

Come to the green and gold side. I've got nothin' but love and respect for the Bison, and most Valley teams (everyone not called the Bears), but Dukes were my #2 for awhile.

I can tell there's a story behind that remark...let's hear it

cx500d
July 24th, 2017, 05:27 PM
I can tell there's a story behind that remark...let's hear it

No story, the key word is "respect"

GodHelpTheBears
July 24th, 2017, 05:31 PM
No story, the key word is "respect"

He can bitch and moan about having rapists on his team, but we don't allow them to sign/transfer in and if they mess up while they're here we kick them out. He wants a clean program but takes cheap shots at other clean programs

Penguin Nation
July 24th, 2017, 05:37 PM
He can bitch and moan about having rapists on his team, but we don't allow them to sign/transfer in and if they mess up while they're here we kick them out. He wants a clean program but takes cheap shots at other clean programs

Geez. kudos for suspending the QB who broke the dog's jaw, but there are clean programs that dominate the FCS. Don't get sensitive about not belonging in the Valley. I've said for years YSU MBB isn't good enough for Horizon MBB.

cx500d
July 24th, 2017, 05:42 PM

You may be clean, but you suck.

GodHelpTheBears
July 24th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Geez. kudos for suspending the QB who broke the dog's jaw, but there are clean programs that dominate the FCS. Don't get sensitive about not belonging in the Valley. I've said for years YSU MBB isn't good enough for Horizon MBB.

Wasn't YSU punished by the NCAA for lack of institutional control during the Tressel years? I also seem to remember our crappy football program having a winning record over YSU under Wolford.

Again, you made a remark in a thread unrelated to anything about my alma mater.

GodHelpTheBears
July 24th, 2017, 05:46 PM
You may be clean, but you suck.

I may use this for my sig - you ok with that?

cx500d
July 24th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Wasn't YSU punished by the NCAA for lack of institutional control during the Tressel years? I also seem to remember our crappy football program having a winning record over YSU under Wolford.

You are a sensitive little baby bear....

https://media.makeameme.org/created/dont-call-me-tsbqhm.jpg

BisonTru
July 24th, 2017, 05:56 PM
He served his time, what are going to do, bury this kid forever. Apparently society thought one year in juvy was enough. Let him play, society set him free, nobody gives a **** about victims of crime. He should be able to play in order to put another a another nail in the coffin of leftist criminal coddling. **** it, who cares. More evidence on the leftist cancer on society.

We've got 15 active threads on here that you can go off on your partisan crap. Who buttons your helmet in the morning?

Penguin Nation
July 24th, 2017, 06:11 PM

take it back.......sniff

GodHelpTheBears
July 24th, 2017, 06:12 PM
You are a sensitive little baby bear....

https://media.makeameme.org/created/dont-call-me-tsbqhm.jpg

I don't think we should have football at all, since you want to troll too. I know that's what you wanted to read but I really do believe it. Shame on me for defending our players for taking on a Sisyphean task. They were told they could compete here, at this level, and it's not my fault no one stepped in and said "seriously, you should go to Missouri Southern or SBU instead". They were lied to, and they have every right to stand up or walk out or make a scene on social media like I'm doing right now and they don't, because they really are good men. I'm just a numbnuts with a keyboard and no direction in life.

I admire their tenacity and their continued efforts. They will not succeed on the field. We all know this. I am proud of them anyway. I respect them anyway. We shouldn't have a football program, again - we can't pay for it and we can't compete with Valley programs INCLUDING NORTH DAKOTA STATE AND YOUNGSTOWN STATE but I will support the players that come here and play here while we do have a team, unless they're a convicted rapist or something awful like that.

POD Knows
July 25th, 2017, 07:36 AM
We've got 15 active threads on here that you can go off on your partisan crap. Who buttons your helmet in the morning?Yea, I get it but this thread is about how a kid, a convicted rapist, gets on a team and the initial punishment he received is part of the deal. He served his time, and the weak sentence was part of it, could I have left off the dig at the end of the post, probably, but it is what it is. There are a lot of sports threads that will weave in and out of things that are political, I have seen tons of "political" speak in the sports threads but I don't whine about it. I will leave the hall monitor stuff up to up you.

Penguin Nation
July 29th, 2017, 10:49 AM
http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/aug/17/throwing-a-flag-on-big-red/

Youngstown media outraged when the convicted rapist welcomed back to his HS team, but silent when welcomed to play for YSU. Typical Youngstown media.

ytownchief22
July 29th, 2017, 11:23 AM
The kid won't even see the field as a football player lol. Go Guins.

Penguin Nation
July 29th, 2017, 11:39 AM

It's ok to have a convicted rapist on the roster and wearing the YSU uniform, just so he doesn't play? That's where the line is?

Go Guins = Go Rapist....since he's one of the "guins"

JALMOND
July 29th, 2017, 12:02 PM
There was something along these same lines that surfaced this past spring as Oregon State was going through the baseball playoffs. From Danny Moran of OLive (some things in the article are not for the faint of heart).

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2017/06/luke_heimlich_sex_crime_surfac.html

Some justice was done. OSU did suspend the kid immediately, and he went from a sure first round pick in the major league draft to being not even drafted.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/19638591/oregon-state-pitcher-luke-heimlich-goes-undrafted

ytownchief22
July 29th, 2017, 12:36 PM
It's ok to have a convicted rapist on the roster and wearing the YSU uniform, just so he doesn't play? That's where the line is?

Go Guins = Go Rapist....since he's one of the "guins"

Not saying that. But the title of this thread is "win at all costs". The kid is not going to see the field, therefore he is not helping the team win at all costs. Does it bother me to see him on the team ? Yes. Am I going to whine and cry about it till the cows come home ? No because he's not having a major impact on my football team. Go guins= go rapist. Good generalization there. Go root for another team then.

Penguin Nation
July 29th, 2017, 01:00 PM
Not saying that. But the title of this thread is "win at all costs". The kid is not going to see the field, therefore he is not helping the team win at all costs. Does it bother me to see him on the team ? Yes. Am I going to whine and cry about it till the cows come home ? No because he's not having a major impact on my football team. Go guins= go rapist. Good generalization there. Go root for another team then.

If he's practicing with the team, he's "helping" the team. The very word "team" implies the collective group, including the convicted rapist. So yeah, cheer for the team, cheer for the rapist. Your call if that's what you want to do.

Whine and cry? Naw. That's what your rapist would be doing if he actually saw a real prison, as he was getting a taste of his own medicine.

dewey
July 29th, 2017, 01:03 PM
If he's practicing with the team, he's "helping" the team. The very word "team" implies the collective group, including the convicted rapist.

I agree. I wouldn't want him to be part of the football program.

Dewey

Bisonoline
July 29th, 2017, 01:12 PM
There was something along these same lines that surfaced this past spring as Oregon State was going through the baseball playoffs. From Danny Moran of OLive (some things in the article are not for the faint of heart).

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2017/06/luke_heimlich_sex_crime_surfac.html

Some justice was done. OSU did suspend the kid immediately, and he went from a sure first round pick in the major league draft to being not even drafted.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/19638591/oregon-state-pitcher-luke-heimlich-goes-undrafted

What justice was done?

Bisonoline
July 30th, 2017, 10:23 PM
Hows is this guy still on the team?

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_2090083a-7563-11e7-8507-6ffc30eabe8c.html?ref=yfp

Magee, arrested April 29 on simple burglary of an inhabited dwelling, was reinstated to the team over the summer. More punishment could be coming, the coach suggested. Magee has served as a reserve during his first two years in Baton Rouge, but he's expected to be an immediate backup at tackle this year. (http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_2090083a-7563-11e7-8507-6ffc30eabe8c.html?ref=yfp)“Got to see (what) his status is,” Orgeron said. “Everything is still unknown with Adrian. He’s going to be in camp. Got to figure out what his status is going to be throughout the season. Something yet to be determined.”
Magee's case is still pending. He is accused of breaking open the door to the apartment and stealing an Xbox, six Xbox games, $1,200 in cash, Gucci flip flops and a Bluetooth speaker. Magee returned some of the missing items and confessed to the burglary, according to a police report.

(http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_2090083a-7563-11e7-8507-6ffc30eabe8c.html?ref=yfp)

chattownmocs
July 31st, 2017, 03:12 AM
That's right, let the media tell you what to be outraged about. Who cares that they are brainwashing our kids with left-wing propaganda and turning them into gutless, anti-american cowards who can't think for themselves. No let's worry about whether someone who is a free man is allowed to play football or not.

If you are going to get mad, get mad at the justice system for letting him walk around.

citdog
July 31st, 2017, 04:28 AM
This is BAD. It's all BAD. Kid shouldn't be playing ANYWHERE.

chattownmocs
July 31st, 2017, 05:25 AM
This is BAD. It's all BAD. Kid shouldn't be playing ANYWHERE.

Again, why? Isn't the issue be whether he should be in prison or not, not what he's allowed to do by a public university as a free man?

Penguin Nation
July 31st, 2017, 08:43 AM
Can he legally play? Of course. All I'm saying is that personally, I cannot rah-rah behind an organization that supports a convicted rapist. Prison, and definitely his year in juvie, doesn't generally rehab anyone...so he's still a rapist in every sense of the word. In fact, I posted his attorney's statement that is very unapologetic. There was never any contrition or attempt to right past wrongs. There are ppl who cannot get a job the rest of their life because they were arrested for carrying a plant, but a brutal rape of a young girl is quickly forgotten. Ostracism would be a far more effective deterrent to than prison ever could be in terms of these brutal crimes, IMO. But rather than ostracize, YSU has chosen to support and enable an unapologetic rapist. The fact that all YSU fans are OK w/ this makes my distaste for YSU even stronger. All of the outrage on this thread is from non-YSU posters. Very sad. What you tolerate is what will continue...so maybe OJ will be the YSU RB coach this fall.

SU DOG
July 31st, 2017, 12:17 PM
Can he legally play? Of course. All I'm saying is that personally, I cannot rah-rah behind an organization that supports a convicted rapist. Prison, and definitely his year in juvie, doesn't generally rehab anyone...so he's still a rapist in every sense of the word. In fact, I posted his attorney's statement that is very unapologetic. There was never any contrition or attempt to right past wrongs. There are ppl who cannot get a job the rest of their life because they were arrested for carrying a plant, but a brutal rape of a young girl is quickly forgotten. Ostracism would be a far more effective deterrent to than prison ever could be in terms of these brutal crimes, IMO. But rather than ostracize, YSU has chosen to support and enable an unapologetic rapist. The fact that all YSU fans are OK w/ this makes my distaste for YSU even stronger. All of the outrage on this thread is from non-YSU posters. Very sad. What you tolerate is what will continue...so maybe OJ will be the YSU RB coach this fall.

Kudos to Penguin Nation for taking a moral stand even against his own team. I'm not against second chances, but our society seems to accept way too much trash and provide way too little in the form of consequences. If your daughter is at YSU, do you really feel OK with her sitting beside this guy in class? What about the long walks across campus? I know how I would feel if I was the father of this coed.

Yote 53
July 31st, 2017, 12:47 PM
Playing college football is a privilege, not a right. The player went through the legal system and has served his time, legally he is a free man, but that doesn't mean he deserves the privilege of playing college football. If I'm a YSU supporter I would be pissed and I'd let the administration know about it. Can't believe some big money donors haven't voiced their displeasure already.

Bisonoline
July 31st, 2017, 09:03 PM
Playing college football is a privilege, not a right. The player went through the legal system and has served his time, legally he is a free man, but that doesn't mean he deserves the privilege of playing college football. If I'm a YSU supporter I would be pissed and I'd let the administration know about it. Can't believe some big money donors haven't voiced their displeasure already.

So how long should they dog this kid before they allow him to live his life?

BisonTru
July 31st, 2017, 09:13 PM
So how long should they dog this kid before they allow him to live his life?

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/drunken-peasants-podcast/images/1/17/Cosby.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150809032019

chattownmocs
August 1st, 2017, 03:32 AM

Complete garbage. The statement "x is not a right, it's a privilege," doesn't necessarily line up with the 9th amendment. That said, this is a public university. I'm not sure that they have "the right" to go around imposing random unrelated penalties. 5th, 6th, 8th and 9th amendment questions abound.

Yote 53
August 1st, 2017, 09:11 AM
Complete garbage. The statement "x is not a right, it's a privilege," doesn't necessarily line up with the 9th amendment. That said, this is a public university. I'm not sure that they have "the right" to go around imposing random unrelated penalties. 5th, 6th, 8th and 9th amendment questions abound.

You think participating in an extra-curricular activity is a right? Wow. Wrong. It's a privilege. If it wasn't a privilege there is not a player anywhere that could be suspended or dismissed from a team for off-field issues because they have a "right" to be on that team.

ETA: He shouldn't have been recruited to begin with, the rape conviction should have been a disqualifying event. Now that he's been recruited and admitted under that known status YSU can't kick him off the team since he hasn't violated team rules since being on the squad. As an administrator of the school I would think long and hard about the type of person I have running the football program though.

Daytripper
August 1st, 2017, 09:20 AM
The institution also has the right determine the qualifications for entry into the school. Therefore they have the right to determine who can play sports as a representative of the university. I am all for second chances. We all needed them at some point in our lives. Also, it is not fair to interfere with a person's success after he has paid his dues to society. But, players are dismissed from teams and schools all of the time for "detrimental actions." How is refusing to let a bad dude join the team different from dismissing the same bad dude from the team?

Penguin Nation
August 1st, 2017, 10:30 AM
How long before his victim can live the life she would have before her brutal rape? She's changed forever.

The convicted rapist has completed his legal consequences. How long until there are no social consequences? In a decent society, never. Again, especially since this is an unrepentant rapist.

Serpentor
August 1st, 2017, 10:38 AM
How long before his victim can live the life she would have before her brutal rape? She's changed forever.

Yeah, but can the victim catch a deep out while getting shadowed by two safeties? I mean, we have to talk priorities here.

Penguin Nation
August 1st, 2017, 10:47 AM

How would his Constitutional Rights be violated if not permitted to play FB? Are convicted rapists a protected class of citizens? Not allowing a rapist to play FB is not a due process violation, if that's what your implying by noting the 5A. If its a due process violation, it'd be a 14A (nonfederal) violation, but its not even that. 6A? How can you claim issues with his trial when all he got was a year in juvie for a brutal rape? Even he nor his attorney never claimed that, nor is that relevant now. 8A? You are claiming not playing CFB is an "excessive fines imposed" or a "cruel and unusual punishment"? 9A is broad, vague, and surely not meant to protect rapists from the social consequences of their actions....but rather to state that Amerikans Rights extend beyond the first eight.

Penguin Nation
August 1st, 2017, 10:53 AM
Yeah, but can the victim catch a deep out while getting shadowed by two safeties? I mean, we have to talk priorities here.

Nailed it. Imagine his fate if instead he were a member of the Steubenville HS Chess Club.

BisonBacker
August 1st, 2017, 10:53 AM
If he's practicing with the team, he's "helping" the team. The very word "team" implies the collective group, including the convicted rapist. So yeah, cheer for the team, cheer for the rapist. Your call if that's what you want to do.

Whine and cry? Naw. That's what your rapist would be doing if he actually saw a real prison, as he was getting a taste of his own medicine.

I agree. I wouldn't want him to be part of the football program.

Dewey

I'm with you guys and that this is even a question or that they are allowing him to be on the team is so frreaking twilight zonish it's unreal. WTF Youngstown???????

Serpentor
August 1st, 2017, 11:09 AM
Nailed it. Imagine his fate if instead he were a member of the Steubenville HS Chess Club.

Exactly. Don't look to college football for morality. Anything with this much money wrapped up in it is going to demand wins at all costs.

POD Knows
August 1st, 2017, 11:19 AM
Exactly. Don't look to college football for morality. Anything with this much money wrapped up in it is going to demand wins at all costs.Yea, well, except there isn't much money in it at Youngstown I would imagine.

Thumper 76
August 1st, 2017, 12:01 PM

The convicted rapist has completed his legal consequences. How long until there are no social consequences? In a decent society, never. Again, especially since this is an unrepentant rapist.

Yeah. You don't get a second chance on rape like that. **** that guy.

BisonBacker
August 1st, 2017, 12:20 PM
This will be his player profile pic or should be.....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25671&stc=1

Hammersmith
August 1st, 2017, 02:14 PM
Just wondering, how many of you speaking about the rape actually know the details of it from the news article in a previous post? It's just that some posters seem to be throwing around adjectives that don't seem to fit the case. There are a host of other negative adjectives that could be used that would make more sense.

Thumper 76
August 1st, 2017, 02:26 PM
Just wondering, how many of you speaking about the rape actually know the details of it from the news article in a previous post? It's just that some posters seem to be throwing around adjectives that don't seem to fit the case. There are a host of other negative adjectives that could be used that would make more sense.

Yeah I read it. When you have photographic evidence showing you carrying an unconscious girl before the deed then I I will reference you to the dictionary for all of my sympathy for you. It's in there, between **** and syphilis. **** that guy.

Penguin Nation
August 1st, 2017, 03:12 PM

Which details? The photographic evidence of the rapists carrying the victim's body? The rapist's claims that the unconscious victim was "coming on to him"? Or are you referring to the post rape text bullying intended to intimidate the victim? The actual rape conviction in a Court of law?

Which adjectives of this rapist do you find objectionable, or don't fit?

Penguin Nation
August 3rd, 2017, 08:14 AM
http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/03/steubenville-defendant-joins-ysu/

Local media breaks their silence. The article is soft, mentions his sex offender status is downgraded, and from the title, "Steubenville's Richmond gets an opportunity at YSU," or subtitle, "Former Big Red player Richmond walk-on defensive lineman with Penguins," you'd never know why this is a worthwhile story. Even so, at least they covered it.

chattownmocs
August 3rd, 2017, 08:22 AM
If he's allowed to walk around a free man, there is no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to play college football for a public university. There is nothing about playing college football for a public university that reflects on anyone else or makes anyone else look bad.

When juveniles commit crimes in this country, they typically get out of prison when they turn 18. I don't agree with it, neither do a lot of people. So what? That's the way it is. I understand restrictions being placed on them. Playing college football isn't one of them. They still have to live there life now no matter what they have done.

Daytripper
August 3rd, 2017, 09:09 AM
If he's allowed to walk around a free man, there is no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to play college football for a public university. There is nothing about playing college football for a public university that reflects on anyone else or makes anyone else look bad.

When juveniles commit crimes in this country, they typically get out of prison when they turn 18. I don't agree with it, neither do a lot of people. So what? That's the way it is. I understand restrictions being placed on them. Playing college football isn't one of them. They still have to live there life now no matter what they have done.

I agree to an extent, but the university also has to consider how it reflects on them. As somebody mentioned previously, I would think twice about letting my daughter attend YSU knowing there is a convicted rapist roaming the campus.

Yote 53
August 3rd, 2017, 09:59 AM

It's called having an admissions policy. You do not have a right to play college football, much less be admitted to a college. Used to be there was a morals clause and if you were even caught cheating in school you could be expelled and your academic career was over. We've somehow lowered the bar to having to admit a convicted rapists because of "rights".

So much confusion about what people have a "right" to these days. Kind of like that UCF kicker who lost his eligibility because he made money off his YouTube channel. He kept talking about how he had freedom of speech, etc. He's right, nobody is going to throw him in prison for making money off his YouTube channel, but the NCAA has every right to enforce its rules. It may not be a big deal, and he may not make a lot of money doing it, but if they let it slide it creates a precedence. Then when some big name players like the QB's at Louisville, USC, or UCLA this year start a YouTube channel and make boatloads off it due to their celebrity the NCAA can't enforce the rule.

Like it or not, you have no "right" to play college football.

Penguin Nation
August 3rd, 2017, 10:18 AM
http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/03/ysu-coach-bo-pelini-explains-decision-former-steub/?mobile

It appears Pelini truly pursued and recruited the rapist after learning that he was a student st YSU.

I don't what's worse: Bo's support of rapists or the spelling and grammar in this article.

The Yo Show
August 3rd, 2017, 04:02 PM
Which details? The photographic evidence of the rapists carrying the victim's body? The rapist's claims that the unconscious victim was "coming on to him"? Or are you referring to the post rape text bullying intended to intimidate the victim? The actual rape conviction in a Court of law?

Which adjectives of this rapist do you find objectionable, or don't fit?

While I personally found what they did to be completely reprehensible and not defensible, it should be noted that Richmond was indeed remorseful for what he did and not unrepentant as you characterized. If you follow the link you can watch the video where he breaks down and cries while saying he ruined the victim's life forever. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2900435/Ohio-high-school-rape-convict-released-custody.html
"Both issued apologies to the victim's family during their 2013 sentencing but Trent Mays' apology was much less emotive than Richmond's. Mays merely apologized for taking and sending photos of the girl. 'No pictures should have been sent out, let alone been taken,' he said. Richmond broke into tears apologizing for 'ruining the victim's life forever.'"

The Yo Show
August 3rd, 2017, 04:03 PM
I will also add, I dont agree with the decision to let him on the team, and stress that I'm not condoning or defending what he did or the decision to accept him to the YSU football team.

Sycamore62
August 3rd, 2017, 04:13 PM
Yea, well, except there isn't much money in it at Youngstown I would imagine.

If you take into consideration all the people who's jobs are on the line in the entire school I would say there is a lot of money on the line.

Penguin Nation
August 3rd, 2017, 06:25 PM
While I personally found what they did to be completely reprehensible and not defensible, it should be noted that Richmond was indeed remorseful for what he did and not unrepentant as you characterized. If you follow the link you can watch the video where he breaks down and cries while saying he ruined the victim's life forever. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2900435/Ohio-high-school-rape-convict-released-custody.html
"Both issued apologies to the victim's family during their 2013 sentencing but Trent Mays' apology was much less emotive than Richmond's. Mays merely apologized for taking and sending photos of the girl. 'No pictures should have been sent out, let alone been taken,' he said. Richmond broke into tears apologizing for 'ruining the victim's life forever.'"

Yo, let me ask you this, which of these two possibilities are the most likely:

1) The rapist, after being coached by his attorney, puts on a rehearsed theatric performance at a sentencing hearing in front of a judge and the worldwide media.

or

2) The rapist, who carried around his unconscious and defenseless victim, and who later repeatedly intimidated the victim after the rape (re-victimizing her), suddenly altered his personality and ethos and realized how damaging and horrific his actions were.

On a personal note, I've spent a lot of time in Courtrooms. It is pure theater.

If you think the answer is #2, that the rapist had a moral and ethical transplant, I'd ask you to again read his attorney's unrepentant statement (released well after the video) that I posted earlier in this thread.

Paladin1aa
August 3rd, 2017, 07:55 PM
FWIW, the other rapist, Trent mays got 2years, but ended up starting at QB at Hocking College, a Juco, for two seasons. He is now at Central St. (Oh) and in the running to start at QB there.

If if you are looking for a real villain, check out Reno at Steubenville. Win at all costs there. YSU looks real bad here.

Penguin Nation
August 4th, 2017, 09:06 AM

Are you sure about that?

"...sophomore defensive end Ma’lik Richmond (Steubenville) will plant a hand on the ground after spending his high school career as a linebacker."

http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/04/shaking-off-the-rust/

Will women and children actually cheer for a rapist because he sacks a QB? It's like a sociopathic social experiment.

Penguin Nation
August 4th, 2017, 09:34 AM
"Pelini said. “Gosh, when I was at Nebraska I got rid of a lot of kids. Some of them weren’t even given a second chance.” "

http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/04/pelini-humble-richmond-wants-to-put-past/

Who were these guys Pelini rejected? Al-Qaeda? Did they participate in human sacrifice rituals? Did Ted Kaczynski try to walk on at NE?

ytownchief22
August 4th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Are you sure about that?

"...sophomore defensive end Ma’lik Richmond (Steubenville) will plant a hand on the ground after spending his high school career as a linebacker."

http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/04/shaking-off-the-rust/

Will women and children actually cheer for a rapist because he sacks a QB? It's like a sociopathic social experiment.

100% sure. Kid hasn't played a snap of football in 3 years

- - - Updated - - -

"Pelini said. “Gosh, when I was at Nebraska I got rid of a lot of kids. Some of them weren’t even given a second chance.” "

Who were these guys Pelini rejected? Al-Qaeda? Did they participate in human sacrifice rituals? Did Ted Kaczynski try to walk on at NE?

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/brown-suttles-kicked-off-nebraska-football-team/article_1322b003-9728-55f7-8a54-486c991302d4.html

Penguin Nation
August 4th, 2017, 10:22 AM
"Pelini said he will not make Richmond available to the media until he appears in a game, per his rules regarding underclassman players. When that will happen is unclear."

"Unclear" does not equal "never." What evidence do you have to support that he'll never play? The rapist is being referred to now by the media as a legit player/DE.

Either way, the rapist should never be invited on the team. Whether he plays is a secondary issue.

Penguin Nation
August 4th, 2017, 10:24 AM
100% sure. Kid hasn't played a snap of football in 3 years

- - - Updated - - -

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/brown-suttles-kicked-off-nebraska-football-team/article_1322b003-9728-55f7-8a54-486c991302d4.html

Pelini was forced to deal w/ a player assaulting another player. I was referring to who has he passed on in recruiting if he's actively pursuing rapists?...which he did w/ Richmond.

chattownmocs
August 4th, 2017, 10:25 AM
It's called having an admissions policy. You do not have a right to play college football, much less be admitted to a college. Used to be there was a morals clause and if you were even caught cheating in school you could be expelled and your academic career was over. We've somehow lowered the bar to having to admit a convicted rapists because of "rights".

So much confusion about what people have a "right" to these days. Kind of like that UCF kicker who lost his eligibility because he made money off his YouTube channel. He kept talking about how he had freedom of speech, etc. He's right, nobody is going to throw him in prison for making money off his YouTube channel, but the NCAA has every right to enforce its rules. It may not be a big deal, and he may not make a lot of money doing it, but if they let it slide it creates a precedence. Then when some big name players like the QB's at Louisville, USC, or UCLA this year start a YouTube channel and make boatloads off it due to their celebrity the NCAA can't enforce the rule.

Like it or not, you have no "right" to play college football.

He committed a crime that he went to prison and was released for. It has nothing to do with him going to college or NCAA violations. The state, and Youngstown STATE university, is part of the state, should not have the right to impose penalties after the fact on unrelated issues. I encourage to actually read the bill of RIGHTS. Especially the last 5.

ysubigred
August 4th, 2017, 01:09 PM
So to make this right,, Any violent crime should have the death penalty imposed on it and there would be no choice on a second chance to worry about xrolleyesx

I don't know the story or really don't care to know but "IF EVERYONE" at that party was not charged with some sort of crime to include the home owner than it was a injustice. Under age drinking/drugs etc,, Personal responsibility for your actions. Society is so ****ed up and it is only getting worse with the snowflakes and liberal thinking. Talk to a person under 21 these days, oral sex is not considered sexual relations :(

Carry on xsalutex

Penguin Nation
August 4th, 2017, 01:49 PM
So to make this right,, Any violent crime should have the death penalty imposed on it and there would be no choice on a second chance to worry about xrolleyesx

I don't know the story or really don't care to know but "IF EVERYONE" at that party was not charged with some sort of crime to include the home owner than it was a injustice. Under age drinking/drugs etc,, Personal responsibility for your actions. Society is so ****ed up and it is only getting worse with the snowflakes and liberal thinking. Talk to a person under 21 these days, oral sex is not considered sexual relations :(

Carry on xsalutex

Dude you absolutely nailed it. By saying a convicted and unrepentant rapist shouldn't wear a YSU FB uniform, I was really advocating for massive expansion of capital punishment. And yep, underage drinking is a crime, and all crimes really are equivalent. Also, definitely no one should care who they are cheering for...as long as they have a "Y" on their helmet.

ysubigred
August 4th, 2017, 02:20 PM
Dude you absolutely nailed it. By saying a convicted and unrepentant rapist shouldn't wear a YSU FB uniform, I was really advocating for massive expansion of capital punishment. And yep, underage drinking is a crime, and all crimes really are equivalent. Also, definitely no one should care who they are cheering for...as long as they have a "Y" on their helmet.

Okay xthumbsupx

Penguin Nation
August 4th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Too bad MS-13 really hasn't taken hold in Youngstown. Could you imagine the recruiting bonanza that'd be? Penguins would be back in the Natty baby!!

kdinva
August 4th, 2017, 02:53 PM
.....Under age drinking/drugs etc,, Personal responsibility for your actions......Carry on xsalutex

Six years ago, in Lexington, in the Summer, one of VMI's defensive starters was caught up town with two MJ joints in his car.....he was suspended from school for 12 months.....and no coach, teammate, alumnus, booster, etc., whined or complained at all....

The Yo Show
August 4th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Nation, I can't speak to his character beyond his actions. I have no idea whether or not he was being theatrical or sincere in his apology. Side note, from the time in the court room comment, are you a lawyer?

Penguin Nation
August 4th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Nation, I can't speak to his character beyond his actions. QUOTE]

Besides being a rapist and intimidating his victim, he may be a swell guy?

[QUOTE=The Yo Show;2505417] I have no idea whether or not he was being theatrical or sincere in his apology. Side note, from the time in the court room comment, are you a lawyer?

No, but acted as attorney pro se on multiple occasions (represented myself). When I didn't, attorneys would prepare scripts for testimony, and have rehearsals they'd scrutinize until it was "right"...just like theater. IMO, there is zero chance that was spontaneous emotion in that video. If he was contrite at that moment, he became very un-contrite afterward.

Bisonwinagn
August 5th, 2017, 12:29 AM
Well since the article is from the HuffingtonPost it's probably fake or fraudulant. Not wasting my time reading it.

chattownmocs
August 5th, 2017, 01:57 AM
According to college campus "rape culture" stats 25% of college females are sexually assaulted. The number is more likely around 4% using what most would consider sexual assault. So there are probably dozens of past or future rapists walking around every large college campus in America. With the way campus culture has devolved into a leftist, SJW, ranking-of-victim, anti-american breeding ground, it seems a bit odd to suddenly take a stand against rapists who have already been released from prison for their crime.

But, I guess people have their own priorities. Carry on.

Thumper 76
August 5th, 2017, 03:03 AM
According to college campus "rape culture" stats 25% of college females are sexually assaulted. The number is more likely around 4% using what most would consider sexual assault. So there are probably dozens of past or future rapists walking around every large college campus in America. With the way campus culture has devolved into a leftist, SJW, ranking-of-victim, anti-american breeding ground, it seems a bit odd to suddenly take a stand against rapists who have already been released from prison for their crime.

But, I guess people have their own priorities. Carry on.

Do you actually understand what you even type when you post, or do you just pound out words?

There's a pretty major difference between taking a stand against the general populace having rapists who have done their time in prison walk around on campus and having one publicly represent your university. If you don't understand the difference there, you will have somehow managed to prove to me that you are even dumber than I thought. Which would be truly baffling.

Oh, and can we get this retard to stop trying to make this a poli thread.

ytownchief22
August 5th, 2017, 08:18 AM
Does it make me uneasy he's on my team I root for ? Sure. There's a lot of backlash. But the kid has been on campus since Jan of 2016. Haven't heard a peep from anyone until he joined the football team this spring. That tells me he is keeping to himself and doing what he's supposed to be doing. Doesn't change the fact of what he did, but I digress.

Penguin Nation
August 5th, 2017, 08:55 AM
Does it make me uneasy he's on my team I root for ? Sure. There's a lot of backlash. But the kid has been on campus since Jan of 2016. Haven't heard a peep from anyone until he joined the football team this spring. That tells me he is keeping to himself and doing what he's supposed to be doing. Doesn't change the fact of what he did, but I digress.

False....not that that detail matters tho...

"The sophomore defensive end enrolled at YSU as a student last August and walked on to the team in January"

But I agree...it's awesome that he hasn't raped any unconscious girls, urinated on them, or bullied them for a whole year.

Also Chief, local media says the convicted rapist is going to play this fall. Again, what is your source that he isn't going to play? (not that whether he plays matters. Shouldn't even be on the team)

http://www.wfmj.com/story/36058006/teen-convicted-in-steubenville-rape-joins-ysu-football-tea

Penguin Nation
August 5th, 2017, 08:58 AM
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/ysu-football-team-welcomes-rapist

"I was always a proud YSU alum. I loved my time at YSU, and I always defended the school against any negative comments.
Yet, here I am, extremely disappointed with my college. Quite frankly, it’s embarrassing. And I know that I’m not alone. I have friends withdrawing their alumni donations, calling the school to make their voices heard, and publicly shaming the decision made by their administrators."

Penguin Nation
August 5th, 2017, 09:06 AM
Well since the article is from the HuffingtonPost it's probably fake or fraudulant. Not wasting my time reading it.

I agree. HuffPo sucks. However, it received worldwide news coverage due to its savage nature. Here's a link to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steubenville_High_School_rape_case

"In a 12-minute video later posted to YouTube, Nodianos and others talk about the rapes, with Nodianos joking that "they raped her quicker than Mike Tyson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tyson) raped that one girl" and "They peed on her. That's how you know she's dead, because someone pissed on her.""

Penguin Nation
August 6th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Petition being circulated:

https://www.change.org/p/bo-pelini-remove-steubenville-rapist-ma-lik-richmond-from-ysu-s-football-team/share?source_location=combo_psf&psf_variant=combo

Removing the rapist from the team isn't enough. Someone needs to be fired over this.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 6th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Why, after people serve their time for their crime do other's not in the legal system feel it isn't enough and want to piss on the rest of their life?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 6th, 2017, 12:13 PM
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/ysu-football-team-welcomes-rapist

"I was always a proud YSU alum. I loved my time at YSU, and I always defended the school against any negative comments.
Yet, here I am, extremely disappointed with my college. Quite frankly, it’s embarrassing. And I know that I’m not alone. I have friends withdrawing their alumni donations, calling the school to make their voices heard, and publicly shaming the decision made by their administrators."Why do you and the alumni not believe in second chances?

What should happen to this kid after you guys tar and feather him? He didnt make his sentence, why are you not going after the real problem?

Penguin Nation
August 6th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Why do you and the alumni not believe in second chances?

What should happen to this kid after you guys tar and feather him? He didnt make his sentence, why are you not going after the real problem?

Why, after people serve their time for their crime do other's not in the legal system feel it isn't enough and want to piss on the rest of their life?

There are "legal" consequences, and there are social consequences. He's fulfilled his legal consequences, and the also has to face social consequences. If one doesn't want to face these consequences, then don't do the crime. People are unemployable for life for carrying the wrong type of leaf in their pocket. I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying there are non-legal social consequences to certain actions. That's the norm.

Most people, myself included, are advocates for second chances. On ysupenguins.com, I advocated for multiple non-violent coaches and players to get a second chance. There is a difference, however, to those who've displayed predatory and sociopathic violent behavior. The details of the crime are terrible. All rapes are terrible, and this goes way beyond a disagreement about consent. If you're not familiar with what went on throughout the night of the gang rape, I'd ask that you research it.

It's interesting that you typed, "piss on the rest of their life", as the rapists urinated on the girl during the events of the evening.

No one is talking about tarring and feathering the rapist, or doing anything a fraction as heinous as what he did to that unconscious girl. We are not as savage as he is. We simply don't want him to represent YSU on the FB team.

Where's the line? If a convicted rapist can play D1 FB, can a murderer? A terrorist? Is there a line? Again, my line is a history of violence.

YSU is a public institution which derives 70% of its athletic budget from "institutional support", which mostly is student fees. Each full time student pays ~$900/year in student fees. The students have every right to voice their opinion on programs they are funding, and that represent their institution as a whole.

The real problem? That is a deep topic and very political. Nonetheless, rape and violence against women is a "real problem" and should be treated as such.

cx500d
August 6th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Why do you and the alumni not believe in second chances?

It can be a serious liability to a school. Baylor was filled with 2nd chances. Its one thing to give 2nd chances to people with stupid mistakes like DUI where hopefully they learn a lesson, its quite another for sex crimes, robbery, assault, etc., where their character really seems broken.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/02/03/baylor-sexaul-assault-scandal-art-briles-assistants

The Yo Show
August 6th, 2017, 02:41 PM
One thing I want everyone here to ponder, had this not made national news and the underage purpetrators of an admittedly dastardly crime become known nationwide, then we wouldn't have even known to be outraged. Ohio law (and I'm sure other states are like this) seals the criminal records of minors when they become adults. So how often does this happen and no one notice or care? xeyebrowx

From the Ohio justice policy center:

"Juvenile justice records are not criminal records, and juveniles do not receive criminalconvictions. Instead, juveniles who break the law are referred to as “adjudicated delinquents.” Infact, when a person with ONLY a juvenile record is asked whether he/she has been convicted of acrime, the legally-correct answer is “No.”

Since juvenile justice records are not public information, they will not appear on mostbackground checks. The records will not appear on a check from the Clerk of Courts, a sheriff’scheck, or on private background checks. However, juvenile records areavailable to the police, courts and prosecutors. "

Penguin Nation
August 6th, 2017, 04:13 PM
One thing I want everyone here to ponder, had this not made national news and the underage purpetrators of an admittedly dastardly crime become known nationwide, then we wouldn't have even known to be outraged. Ohio law (and I'm sure other states are like this) seals the criminal records of minors when they become adults. So how often does this happen and no one notice or care? xeyebrowx

From the Ohio justice policy center:

"Juvenile justice records are not criminal records, and juveniles do not receive criminalconvictions. Instead, juveniles who break the law are referred to as “adjudicated delinquents.” Infact, when a person with ONLY a juvenile record is asked whether he/she has been convicted of acrime, the legally-correct answer is “No.”

Since juvenile justice records are not public information, they will not appear on mostbackground checks. The records will not appear on a check from the Clerk of Courts, a sheriff’scheck, or on private background checks. However, juvenile records areavailable to the police, courts and prosecutors. "

FWIW, it made international news as it was picked up by The Guardian and the Daily Mail, and likely others.

Yo, I'm not sure what your point is. You are saying that outside of this case, how many less vile criminals go unnoticed in D1 athletics? Even if true (some get away with violent crime), I don't think that in any way lessens what Richmond did, or what consequences he should face.

I'm not saying you're doing this, as I'm not even sure of what your point is, but there are some serious rationalizations going on amongst the few YSU fans that exist, often with incorrect "facts" to support their rationalizations.

chattownmocs
August 7th, 2017, 01:29 AM
Do you actually understand what you even type when you post, or do you just pound out words?

There's a pretty major difference between taking a stand against the general populace having rapists who have done their time in prison walk around on campus and having one publicly represent your university. If you don't understand the difference there, you will have somehow managed to prove to me that you are even dumber than I thought. Which would be truly baffling.

Oh, and can we get this retard to stop trying to make this a poli thread.

Buddy you are embarrassing yourself. You aren't smart, your point is not logical. He's not representing the school as anything other than a football player. He's representing that he is eligible and good enough to play football for the school. Period! Everything is political in 2017. You haven't figured that out yet?

So far people crying because they don't want to be associated with him, don't want him representing them, supposedly don't want to endanger women, what else? Nothing?

No outrage that he was released from prison. Thats the only legitimate outrage. He's obviously not representong anything except his ability and desire to play football. Thats all. Leave him in prison or shut up. That's the only way to protect women. Nothing else helps women at all. A bunch of self-righteous hypocrites.

chattownmocs
August 7th, 2017, 05:58 AM
Let's be clear about what's happening here. The state of Ohio criminal justice system released this guy. No one from Youngstown State cared. If anyone wanted to protect women, they would have been furious then. They didn't know, they didn't care. They didn't pay any attention. Most people do know that juveniles who are convicted of rape and even murder are generally still released at 18. But that is the only way to protect women, the only way to protect society is to keep these violent assholes in prison.

But that would conflict with another one of their asinine position that prison is "legalized slavery." So they want all those thugs released, don't get it twisted. They don't care about women, children, minorities at all if it conflicts with another one of their positions. That's what is so hypocritical and dishonest about this nonsense.

Back to my point, the state of Ohio criminal justice system released him, as Is customary. Now they want the state of Ohio education system to punish him further in a way that doesn't help anyone in anyway. Next step attack the employer who hires him. Start petitions against them, protest them, force them to fire him. Get the media involved, etc etc etc. No facts, no widespread pertinent research, just False equivalences, logical fallacys, propaganda, fueled by nothing more than anecdotal evidence. Brainwashing techniques that have been around for a long time. But they are riddled with contradiction and hypocrisy, to the point where is just plain despicable.

Guess what it is called? THE DARK ART OF POLITICAL INTIMIDATION. Leftist thuggery under the guise of morality and tolerance.

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 08:54 AM
YSU being YSU.

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 09:03 AM
Nation, I can't speak to his character beyond his actions. I have no idea whether or not he was being theatrical or sincere in his apology. Side note, from the time in the court room comment, are you a lawyer?
Actions show character.

We know his character.

His prewritten, coached and rehearsed apology show nothing.

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Buddy you are embarrassing yourself. You aren't smart, your point is not logical. He's not representing the school as anything other than a football player. He's representing that he is eligible and good enough to play football for the school. Period! Everything is political in 2017. You haven't figured that out yet?

So far people crying because they don't want to be associated with him, don't want him representing them, supposedly don't want to endanger women, what else? Nothing?

No outrage that he was released from prison. Thats the only legitimate outrage. He's obviously not representong anything except his ability and desire to play football. Thats all. Leave him in prison or shut up. That's the only way to protect women. Nothing else helps women at all. A bunch of self-righteous hypocrites.

Resorting to insults = admitting defeat

Collegiate sports are referred to a University's front porch. Local (and national) news coverage is almost never about collegiate academic achievement, but rather athletics. Players are interviewed, they are given a bio page on the University website, and their performance viewed by millions on TV and webcasts. Academic achievers....maybe an "atta boy" from mom? Then there's also the resources devoted to student athletes.

When inviting a player to join a team, you are giving them a place on the stage, and its a large stage in D1. When interviewed, they will have University logos displayed on their unis, and their association with the University will be abundantly clear.

To put a convicted rapist on that stage is horrible optics, and puts the University in a terrible light for potential future students. Even if this is "fixed" today, the damage to the University is immeasurable. So much so that at least one person needs to be fired over this.

ytownchief22
August 7th, 2017, 09:28 AM
They are not kicking him off the team. Nobody said a word when he's been on campus since Jan of 2016 taking classes. If he were trying to join the chess club, nobody would care. People just like to complain. Get over it.

PAllen
August 7th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Actions show character.

We know his character.

His prewritten, coached and rehearsed apology show nothing.

The true measure of a man's character is what he does when he doesn't think anyone will notice. Certainly not what he does when he knows that everyone is looking.

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 09:44 AM
They are not kicking him off the team. Nobody said a word when he's been on campus since Jan of 2016 taking classes. If he were trying to join the chess club, nobody would care. People just like to complain. Get over it.

Chief, I've already corrected you. He's was first on campus in August of 2016 according to the Vindy.

So he's gone since August not raping any unconscious girls and then urinating on them? That earns him something?

IMO, you are desperately finding rationalizations to justify supporting a rapist's involvement with the team. You could really create any BS metric: "He is going to church for months now" or "He is donating time to a homeless shelter every weekend." None of that changes the night of abuse and rape he committed, and that he has lifelong social consequences to endure.

FWIW, I don't buy for a second that the rapist just happened to enroll at YSU, and Bo just happened to hear about him.

Question: Are you going to cheer when the rapist sacks the QB for has a TFL?

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Story of the petition going national:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/08/07/youngstown-state-football-team-petition-remove-malik-richmond-convicted-rape/544313001/

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20270505/petition-asks-youngstown-state-university-remove-malik-richmond-football-team

Much damage being done to the University's image on national scale. Someone needs to be fired, or resign. My suggestions: Bo Pelini, AD Ron Strollo, and/or President Tressel.

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Is anyone shocked Tressel is involved, potentially, in something like this?

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 09:53 AM

Bo claims it was his decision alone. I strongly suspect the AD knew. Tressel? Perhaps....just don't know....but the buck stops with him...he recruited and hired Pelini...so he's culpable either way.

Serpentor
August 7th, 2017, 09:58 AM

The sweatervest gets a lifetime pass. Screw the Hurricanes.

ytownchief22
August 7th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Chief, I've already corrected you. He's was first on campus in August of 2016 according to the Vindy.

So he's gone since August not raping any unconscious girls and then urinating on them? That earns him something?

IMO, you are desperately finding rationalizations to justify supporting a rapist's involvement with the team. You could really create any BS metric: "He is going to church for months now" or "He is donating time to a homeless shelter every weekend." None of that changes the night of abuse and rape he committed, and that he has lifelong social consequences to endure.

FWIW, I don't buy for a second that the rapist just happened to enroll at YSU, and Bo just happened to hear about him.

Question: Are you going to cheer when the rapist sacks the QB for has a TFL?

So this kid is supposed to go into hiding for the rest of his life and not be able to rehabilitate himself become a model citizen ? Gotcha. Again, didn't hear one god damn thing about him being on campus before he walked onto the football team. Nothing from anyone. If he happens to play and sacks the opposing QB, yep I'll cheer because he's apart of the team I cheer for. You don't wanna support YSU anymore ? Good riddance.

chattownmocs
August 7th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Resorting to insults = admitting defeat

Collegiate sports are referred to a University's front porch. Local (and national) news coverage is almost never about collegiate academic achievement, but rather athletics. Players are interviewed, they are given a bio page on the University website, and their performance viewed by millions on TV and webcasts. Academic achievers....maybe an "atta boy" from mom? Then there's also the resources devoted to student athletes.

When inviting a player to join a team, you are giving them a place on the stage, and its a large stage in D1. When interviewed, they will have University logos displayed on their unis, and their association with the University will be abundantly clear.

To put a convicted rapist on that stage is horrible optics, and puts the University in a terrible light for potential future students. Even if this is "fixed" today, the damage to the University is immeasurable. So much so that at least one person needs to be fired over this.

I'm admitting defeat? How? You are the one who is down to the pathetic "optics" argument. A vague meaningless term that leftists use when they have literally nothing left. "Immeasurable," what is immeasurable about it? You think this is the first time a convicted rapist has been allowed to play college football? So no, it factually is not immeasurable. The impact on a large state university is zero. Do you understand what the "state" in Youngstown State University. That means that YSU is run by the state of Ohio. Just like the criminal justice system that released an 18 year old rapist on society, which is par for the course in our country. It has nothing more to do with you personally, I know you would like to believe that's it's your school, it's not. The fact that you didn't care that this rapist was loose until he started playing football for "your" school, really exposes you personally and it's left you with such a poor argument.

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 10:17 AM
So this kid is supposed to go into hiding for the rest of his life and not be able to rehabilitate himself become a model citizen ? Gotcha. Again, didn't hear one god damn thing about him being on campus before he walked onto the football team. Nothing from anyone. If he happens to play and sacks the opposing QB, yep I'll cheer because he's apart of the team I cheer for. You don't wanna support YSU anymore ? Good riddance.

Not being on the FB team = "go(ing) into hiding for the rest of his life"? If you're going to hyperbolize, why not swing for the fences and say, "so you want him to be a monk recluse locked away in a Tibetan monastery for the rest of his life?!"

Yeah....I can't cheer for a convicted rapist....I have mirrors in my house that I gotta use from time to time.

FWIW, I went to YSU games at Fitch as a kid. Traveled to multiple (championship and non-championship) away games over the years. Two generations of my family went to YSU. Not to sound mysterious, but I have deep connections to the University...you've heard of my last name. Showcasing a rapist is egregious.....I can't support an organization that does that.

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 10:20 AM
I'm admitting defeat? How? You are the one who is down to the pathetic "optics" argument. A vague meaningless term that leftists use when they have literally nothing left. "Immeasurable," what is immeasurable about it? You think this is the first time a convicted rapist has been allowed to play college football? So no, it factually is not immeasurable. The impact on a large state university is zero. Do you understand what the "state" in Youngstown State University. That means that YSU is run by the state of Ohio. Just like the criminal justice system that released an 18 year old rapist on society, which is par for the course in our country. It has nothing more to do with you personally, I know you would like to believe that's it's your school, it's not. The fact that you didn't care that this rapist was loose until he started playing football for "your" school, really exposes you personally and it's left you with such a poor argument.

I don't want to turn this into a political thread, although I agree it has political elements.....but if you want government to protect you through a prison system... you're way more left than me.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 7th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Malik did his time, he is out and deserves a second chance on a very short leash.

This girl that started the petition needs to be kicked out of school. This is a teachable moment that YSU is failing to seize.

In the USA you have judges and juries that hand down sentences and enforce the law. This always wanting to pile on after legal recourse need to stop and this chick should be the poster child for it. She is obviously jealous of his success and drive and wants to take that away from him for her own personal inadequacies. She needs to learn that actions have consequences and when you mess with a persons life after he has served his sentence you are now the criminal.

Kick her out of school and send a message to all the other idiots that want to **** with other peoples lives instead of focusing on their own, its the right thing to do.

ysubigred
August 7th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Funny how this one kid whose case was blown up in the news via social media is now trying to get a life and there's push back from holier than thou hypocrites who don't know there asses from a hole in the ground. There has been plenty of "rapist" go though Y-Town and plenty of other colleges and universities on a football team unnoticed or noticed and it worked out for them.

Trust me, I wish it never happened but that was then this is now people need to move on. Key words was "Juvenile" with "under age drinking" and plenty of factors of blame to go around. Kid paid his debt to society under the LAW. "IF" the folks in Y-Town don't like the fact he walked on to the team to find a way forward then find another team to root for. It's not like the Y-Town fan base is loyal any how. They rooted over the years for plenty of other **** bags that should have been doing something other than playing football xrolleyesx

chattownmocs
August 7th, 2017, 10:37 AM
The state of Ohio released him from prison, none of them cared. The state of Ohio admitted him to one of their universities, no one cared. The state of Ohio let him play football, all hell breaks loose. That's as simply as I can put it. Hypocrites.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 7th, 2017, 10:47 AM
I bet the chick that started the petition is a "christian" white woman that is just trying to hold another black man down............................................

GreenGlasses
August 7th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Let's be clear about what's happening here. The state of Ohio criminal justice system released this guy. No one from Youngstown State cared. If anyone wanted to protect women, they would have been furious then. They didn't know, they didn't care. They didn't pay any attention. Most people do know that juveniles who are convicted of rape and even murder are generally still released at 18. But that is the only way to protect women, the only way to protect society is to keep these violent assholes in prison.

But that would conflict with another one of their asinine position that prison is "legalized slavery." So they want all those thugs released, don't get it twisted. They don't care about women, children, minorities at all if it conflicts with another one of their positions. That's what is so hypocritical and dishonest about this nonsense.

Back to my point, the state of Ohio criminal justice system released him, as Is customary. Now they want the state of Ohio education system to punish him further in a way that doesn't help anyone in anyway. Next step attack the employer who hires him. Start petitions against them, protest them, force them to fire him. Get the media involved, etc etc etc. No facts, no widespread pertinent research, just False equivalences, logical fallacys, propaganda, fueled by nothing more than anecdotal evidence. Brainwashing techniques that have been around for a long time. But they are riddled with contradiction and hypocrisy, to the point where is just plain despicable.

Guess what it is called? THE DARK ART OF POLITICAL INTIMIDATION. Leftist thuggery under the guise of morality and tolerance.

What a bunch of malarkey and stupidity in this post. Also a lot of misinformation. So that's what they teach you in Tennessee, remind me to never live there.

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 11:50 AM
More national media:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/petition-dismiss-malik-richmond-rape-case-ysu-youngstown-state/azyhk07duy6q12f49a4lwl69p

Letter to the editor:

"I’m an embarrassed alum who is ashamed of my alma mater. As long as Richmond is permitted to call himself a Penguin, I will not be one."

http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/06/with-rapist-on-football-team-ysu-shows-l/

ytownchief22
August 7th, 2017, 11:53 AM
He paid his debt. He was charged as a juvenile, not an adult. That's on the judge and system. We've had presidents running this country accused of rape and berating women. #7 of the Pittsburgh Steelers is still celebrated greatly after what he went through. This kid can't go get an education and walk onto the football team at an FCS school ? My god...

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 12:04 PM
If he wants and education, so be it.

I believe Rapistburger should be out if the league.

Football is not a right. You represent your university as an athlete. YSU has decided that a rapist is how they represent their university. Now as mounting attention happens he will be even further engraved as the face of the university.

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 12:39 PM
He paid his debt. He was charged as a juvenile, not an adult. That's on the judge and system. We've had presidents running this country accused of rape and berating women. #7 of the Pittsburgh Steelers is still celebrated greatly after what he went through. This kid can't go get an education and walk onto the football team at an FCS school ? My god...

He paid his legal debt. FIFY

There are social consequences to actions. If one does not like these social consequences, then don't rape unconscious girls and piss on them.

I own a business with mostly female employees. We scrutinize new employees carefully and review their criminal history, amongst other things. Things that have been expunged we've found in news reports. I would not hire a convicted rapist/Tier 2 sex offender. That is a social consequence of their sociopathic actions. I am, by far, not alone in that hiring process. Social consequences are the norm, and we all do it in one way or another.

Your ethos, and your personality are formed early in life. I generally heard by age 7. This article suggests much earlier: http://education-consumers.org/issues-public-education-research-analysis/childrens-behavioral-styles/ Are there individuals who've defied that and improved themselves in a transformative way? Yes, but those are exceptions and they are all deeply motivated. It's important to note that Ma'lik's actions were not just one reckless moment. It didn't even span the course of an evening. His post-rape bullying of the victim lasted weeks. That's who he is, and that's who's been invited on the YSU FB team. To say he's been on the YSU campus for a year without incident as a measure of his character is naïve and ignorant. I live in FL and get alligators in my yard. For the past year, they've not eaten one of my dogs. Should I take my fences down?

Thumper 76
August 7th, 2017, 01:05 PM
He paid his legal debt. FIFY

There are social consequences to actions. If one does not like these social consequences, then don't rape unconscious girls and piss on them.

I own a business with mostly female employees. We scrutinize new employees carefully and review their criminal history, amongst other things. Things that have been expunged we've found in news reports. I would not hire a convicted rapist/Tier 2 sex offender. That is a social consequence of their sociopathic actions. I am, by far, not alone in that hiring process. Social consequences are the norm, and we all do it in one way or another.

Your ethos, and your personality are formed early in life. I generally heard by age 7. This article suggests much earlier: http://education-consumers.org/issues-public-education-research-analysis/childrens-behavioral-styles/ Are there individuals who've defied that and improved themselves in a transformative way? Yes, but those are exceptions and they are all deeply motivated. It's important to note that Ma'lik's actions were not just one reckless moment. It didn't even span the course of an evening. His post-rape bullying of the victim lasted weeks. That's who he is, and that's who's been invited on the YSU FB team. To say he's been on the YSU campus for a year without incident as a measure of his character is naïve and ignorant. I live in FL and get alligators in my yard. For the past year, they've not eaten one of my dogs. Should I take my fences down?

Nah man, it's all good. He did a stint in juvy, let him be allowed to follow his dream without any consequences socially. /heavy sarcasm

You know what the government can't do? Tell me when I should stop treating someone like a rapist.

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Back to back home runs by Clenz and Thumper. Well said.

The Yo Show
August 7th, 2017, 01:16 PM
The point of my last post was not to excuse anything. Merely to ask how often this goes on and no one notices? Not excusing or justifying anything. Just a general question because it now seems way more probable to me that this happens where a rapist gets on a football team because the crime had been committed as a minor.

And if it hadn't made international news the coach who did it couldn't be expected to have known that since background checks and no press would have never tipped him off. Those individuals shouldn't play just like this guy but what makes it worse in this case is everyone should have known who this guy was due to press coverage of the crime.

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 01:23 PM
The point of my last post was not to excuse anything. Merely to ask how often this goes on and no one notices? Not excusing or justifying anything. Just a general question because it now seems way more probable to me that this happens where a rapist gets on a football team because the crime had been committed as a minor.

And if it hadn't made international news the coach who did it couldn't be expected to have known that since background checks and no press would have never tipped him off. Those individuals shouldn't play just like this guy but what makes it worse in this case is everyone should have known who this guy was due to press coverage of the crime.
Maybe UNI is really good at covering up rape but there is one known case of rape involving a football player(s) at UNI.

It was 2003.
The players were booted from the team the same day as the story broke.
The players were removed from the university almost instantly as well.
They were not allowed back on campus, let alone the team, following their time in prison

In 2008 we kicked our top WR off the team simply because his roommate (also a football player) was arrested on drug dealing charges. That WR was found to have done nothing wrong and all charges were dropped within 36 hours. Didn't matter. He wasn't let back on the team. He was the top WR and this was the week before playoffs started.

The Yo Show
August 7th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Maybe UNI is really good at covering up rape but there is one known case of rape involving a football player(s) at UNI.

It was 2003.
The players were booted from the team the same day as the story broke.
The players were removed from the university almost instantly as well.
They were not allowed back on campus, let alone the team, following their time in prison

In 2008 we kicked our top WR off the team simply because his roommate (also a football player) was arrested on drug dealing charges. That WR was found to have done nothing wrong and all charges were dropped within 36 hours. Didn't matter. He wasn't let back on the team. He was the top WR and this was the week before playoffs started.

well that is good but my post was about people who had committed crimes prior to being on a team not during their time as. And again in most cases which don't get press coverage if it involved a juvenile you would never know as a coach. Again it makes this situation YSU is going through more crazy because given the press coverage and how close Steubenville is to ytown, I see no ignorance argument. It must have been known and he was willingly brought on the teaM.

The Yo Show
August 7th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Also though, tressel said he was not consulted on the decision to bring this guy on the football team. For what it's worth, it falls on bo and strollo

Milktruck74
August 7th, 2017, 01:34 PM
So, while he was in Juvenile Detention, didn't he become a ward of the state? No longer domiciled with his parent(s)? Zero income? I'll bet he qualified for every available bit of need based aid.....Hmmmm, so the university didn't have to use any of it's athletic scholarship money on him....and as a walk-on, any of their 63 schollys!!!! Let word of this get out and a bunch of coaches are going to start recruiting the Penal system!!!!

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 01:36 PM
well that is good but my post was about people who had committed crimes prior to being on a team not during their time as. And again in most cases which don't get press coverage if it involved a juvenile you would never know as a coach. Again it makes this situation YSU is going through more crazy because given the press coverage and how close Steubenville is to ytown, I see no ignorance argument. It must have been known and he was willingly brought on the teaM.

Yo.....this is a side issue.....but do you actually believe that the rapist just happened to enroll at YSU in August 2016, and Bo just happened to learn of it later on?

IMO...the likelihood is that Bo recruited him well before August 2016. IOW, the scandal is actually deeper than what we know on the surface.

Neither one of us know. Just asking your opinion.

The Yo Show
August 7th, 2017, 01:41 PM
I don't know nation. I won't speculate. Maybe he knew more sooner maybe he didn't. Either way, when faced with the decision of allowing him on the team he made the wrong one in my opinion.

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 01:43 PM
Nah, same argument.

They served time and weren't let back on the team or the university.

By the logic YSU is using, those men should have been let back on to play - right?

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 01:49 PM
Yo.....this is a side issue.....but do you actually believe that the rapist just happened to enroll at YSU in August 2016, and Bo just happened to learn of it later on?

IMO...the likelihood is that Bo recruited him well before August 2016. IOW, the scandal is actually deeper than what we know on the surface.

What's interesting is his player bio says he sat out last year due to transfer rules.

So are they retroactively adding that last year, even though he wasn't part of the team, he sat out due to NCAA transfer rules or are they lying about him not being a member of the team last year?

http://www.ysusports.com/sports/fball/2017-18/bios/richmond_ma-lik_yc23
2016 (Sophomore): Sat out to fulfill NCAA transfer requirements.
Prior to YSU: Attended California (Pa.) and Potomac State College of WVU.
High School: Was a member of the Steubenville program.

He also has recruiting profiles though the websites.

There's something not adding up on it.

The Yo Show
August 7th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Nah, same argument.

They served time and weren't let back on the team or the university.

By the logic YSU is using, those men should have been let back on to play - right?

I don't think they should be let back on but then again I don't ink he should be on YSUs team. Back to my point though it is a different argument. You can absolutely impose team penalties on someone for actions committed while on he team. But just like other things in society, team punishments can't be retroactive for things committed prior to being on the team. At least in my eyes. But the way to have handled it would have been to simply not let him be on the team.

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Update on Change.org petition:

>7k signatures...original goal was 5k

There's now a petition in SUPPORT of the rapist (!), with seven signatures.

Thumper 76
August 7th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Update on Change.org petition:

>7k signatures...original goal was 5k

There's now a petition in SUPPORT of the rapist (!), with seven signatures.

Chattown for sure xlolx

Paladin1aa
August 7th, 2017, 02:26 PM
The word now out of Steubenville is NO ONE would touch him in D-I................................................. ................. EXCEPT YSU. Went from a P5 recruit to personna non grata. The fix was in at YSU. First Juco to get eligible academically, then to D-II Cal (Pa.). Anyway why I don't know. That would have been an all time coup had he stayed at Cal. Will be interesting to see how they keep him off the field at YSU. Players have already seen his abilities first hand.

Opener may have the faculty on strike AND a PROTEST crew for YSU's home opener.

What a circus.

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 02:33 PM
What's interesting is his player bio says he sat out last year due to transfer rules.

So are they retroactively adding that last year, even though he wasn't part of the team, he sat out due to NCAA transfer rules or are they lying about him not being a member of the team last year?

http://www.ysusports.com/sports/fball/2017-18/bios/richmond_ma-lik_yc23
2016 (Sophomore): Sat out to fulfill NCAA transfer requirements.
Prior to YSU: Attended California (Pa.) and Potomac State College of WVU.
High School: Was a member of the Steubenville program.

He also has recruiting profiles though the websites.

There's something not adding up on it.

Bo told the local media that the rapist joined the team in January 2017. I am not familiar with the requirements. Does that not fit with his bio?

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 02:35 PM
Bo told the local media that the rapist joined the team in January 2017. I am not familiar with the requirements. Does that not fit with his bio?
I'm not sure how it works.

Sure, he technically sat out last year but I'm not sure that's how it works.

Was there any contact between the two parties before Jan 17?

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure how it works.

Sure, he technically sat out last year but I'm not sure that's how it works.

Was there any contact between the two parties before Jan 17?

The rapist enrolled at YSU in August of 2016, and later in 2016 Pelini pursued the rapist.

This article goes through (the alleged) timeline: http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/04/pelini-humble-richmond-wants-to-put-past/

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 02:48 PM
So there was no contact before Jan of 17?

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 02:51 PM
So there was no contact before Jan of 17?

There was contact between Pelini and the rapist in the fall of 2016.

- - - Updated - - -

Story picked up by HuffPo:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/malik-richmond-youngstown-state-football-rapist_us_59888cb0e4b07e7f2150dd7e

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 02:51 PM
There was contact between Pelini and the rapist in the fall of 2016.
We're starting to get into some gray area when it comes to NCAA rules....

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 02:52 PM
We're starting to get into some gray area when it comes to NCAA rules....

Yeah...I just am not familiar with those rules.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 7th, 2017, 02:54 PM

Its not a scandal its a witchhunt

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 7th, 2017, 03:00 PM
https://www.change.org/p/jim-tressell-and-bo-pelini-support-ma-lik-richmond-to-continue-his-life-in-society-after-serving-his-time

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Its not a scandal its a witchhunt

Nah...we got the scandal.....no witch hunt necessary.

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 03:03 PM
https://www.change.org/p/jim-tressell-and-bo-pelini-support-ma-lik-richmond-to-continue-his-life-in-society-after-serving-his-time

You just can't get that elusive 8th person to sign.....

Paladin1aa
August 7th, 2017, 03:06 PM
Coming from D-II Cal. , he would have been ineligible and had to sit out last year. One year in college and another as a transfer ( redshirt) makes him a redshirt Soph. this season.

UNIFanSince1983
August 7th, 2017, 03:13 PM
I really don't want to read through this whole thing. My real question is can the kid even play?

Yote 53
August 7th, 2017, 03:14 PM

I actually agree with this. I know there probably were people, even UNI fans, who thought the kid got a raw deal because he was being punished for something he didn't do, his roommate was the one charged. Coaches know better, and the players know better. Coaches have been preaching to players forever about keeping their noses clean and don't put yourself in bad situations. You dang well know that player knew that his roommate was dealing. In the coaches eyes he was guilty by association. He was told to not put himself in bad situations. He was warned, and he didn't listen. The player should have found somewhere else to live, or removed himself from that situation somehow. He didn't and it resulted in negative publicity to the program, even if ultimately he wasn't charged and wasn't "guilty".

That's what some of the people in this thread don't get, playing college football is a privilege, not a right, and you do represent your school. You better not do anything to stain the school's reputation.

I swear, this type of stuff just doesn't happen in the hockey world, it's just not tolerated. I attended a Junior Hockey (under 20) camp this summer with my teenage son. There was a story told about how a player was sent packing home from the team, released, because he and some of his buddies were swearing and being vulgar at a local restaurant. Acting like a$$holes. Just happened there was a season ticket holder sitting in the booth next to them with his family. One phone call, one complaint, bam, that kid was gone. For acting like a jerk in public and not representing the logo, and we're actually sitting here debating whether a convicted rapist has a "right" to play D1 college football.

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 03:16 PM
I really don't want to read through this whole thing. My real question is can the kid even play?

Yes. According to Paladin above, was bound for P5 pre-rape. I've read he is impressive in practice at YSU.

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 03:37 PM

Still stalled at seven signatures. The rapist advocacy movement is off to a very slow start.

Who wrote that stream-of-consciousness petition anyway? YSU didn't need any more embarrassment.

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 03:43 PM
I actually agree with this. I know there probably were people, even UNI fans, who thought the kid got a raw deal because he was being punished for something he didn't do, his roommate was the one charged. Coaches know better, and the players know better. Coaches have been preaching to players forever about keeping their noses clean and don't put yourself in bad situations. You dang well know that player knew that his roommate was dealing. In the coaches eyes he was guilty by association. He was told to not put himself in bad situations. He was warned, and he didn't listen. The player should have found somewhere else to live, or removed himself from that situation somehow. He didn't and it resulted in negative publicity to the program, even if ultimately he wasn't charged and wasn't "guilty".

That's what some of the people in this thread don't get, playing college football is a privilege, not a right, and you do represent your school. You better not do anything to stain the school's reputation.

I swear, this type of stuff just doesn't happen in the hockey world, it's just not tolerated. I attended a Junior Hockey (under 20) camp this summer with my teenage son. There was a story told about how a player was sent packing home from the team, released, because he and some of his buddies were swearing and being vulgar at a local restaurant. Acting like a$$holes. Just happened there was a season ticket holder sitting in the booth next to them with his family. One phone call, one complaint, bam, that kid was gone. For acting like a jerk in public and not representing the logo, and we're actually sitting here debating whether a convicted rapist has a "right" to play D1 college football.
His roommate was very well known. That raid was the result of months long investigation by the Iowa DEA, Cedar Falls PD, Waterloo, PD and Black Hawk County Sheriff. His girlfriend was well known.

Victor got a **** deal. His name was 100% cleared before the team got back from the regular season finale on the road (at YSU I think). A **** way to end his senior year, and career. He "deserved" better, but he knew what would happen if Johnny got busted and Victor was with him.

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 03:53 PM
LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-sp-youngstown-state-rape-petition-20170807-story.html

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 04:03 PM
The thing with this case is the precedent it sets moving forward no matter what happens

1. The rapist is allowed to continue to be on the team. The precedent set here is that criminal history no longer matters as long as you're good at football. Not just something like petty theft, public intox, etc... We're talking rape. How do you justify kicking anyone off the team after that? Kid gets a DUI and you try to kick him, the comeback is "Yeah, but I didn't rape anyone". Stop recruiting a kid, like many schools do, because of their social media presence? Yeah, but they didn't rape anyone. What the hell kind of crimes were his players at Nebraska getting into that they didn't get a second chance, and how the hell were they covered up?

OR

2. Online petitions can now get players removed for things fans don't like.

UNIFanSince1983
August 7th, 2017, 04:15 PM
The thing with this case is the precedent it sets moving forward no matter what happens

1. The rapist is allowed to continue to be on the team. The precedent set here is that criminal history no longer matters as long as you're good at football. Not just something like petty theft, public intox, etc... We're talking rape. How do you justify kicking anyone off the team after that? Kid gets a DUI and you try to kick him, the comeback is "Yeah, but I didn't rape anyone". Stop recruiting a kid, like many schools do, because of their social media presence? Yeah, but they didn't rape anyone. What the hell kind of crimes were his players at Nebraska getting into that they didn't get a second chance, and how the hell were they covered up?

OR

The thing I see with #1 though is that this happened when he was 16 years old and he served time for the offense. Should no one ever get a 2nd chance after a mistake? (Yes I understand rape is one of the most heinous crimes you can commit). Are we to assume once a person has committed a serious crime they have no chance of becoming a better person especially when the mistake happened when the person was 16?

The more dangerous one is if this petition does get him removed. That right there is a slippery slope for sure.

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 04:18 PM
The thing I see with #1 though is that this happened when he was 16 years old and he served time for the offense. Should no one ever get a 2nd chance after a mistake? (Yes I understand rape is one of the most heinous crimes you can commit). Are we to assume once a person has committed a serious crime they have no chance of becoming a better person especially when the mistake happened when the person was 16?

The more dangerous one is if this petition does get him removed. That right there is a slippery slope for sure.
So Ray Rice, Greg Hardy, Darren Sharper (in the day) etc... you'd have no issue with your team signing them?

Daytripper
August 7th, 2017, 04:23 PM
So Ray Rice, Greg Hardy, Darren Sharper (in the day) etc... you'd have no issue with your team signing them?

They weren't 16 when they pulled their ****. They were grown-a** men. Not that I am taking sides, but his point was that this dude was still an immature kid.

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 04:25 PM
They weren't 16 when they pulled their ****. They were grown-a** men. Not that I am taking sides, but his point was that this dude was still an immature kid.
Rape at 16 isn't immature.

Daytripper
August 7th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Rape at 16 isn't immature.

Oh, I agree. At that age the body is ahead of the mind, though. I'm not defending him. And I don't think YSU should let him play football. Don't stop him from getting his education, but like others have said, letting him play football is telling all other future recruits that there are no consequences for your actions.

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 04:29 PM

OR

Bo really screwed YSU, and deserves to be fired for this. The damage he's done to the University's image, future enrollment, and future donations is irreparable for the near future. The damage far outweighs the positive publicity from being in the Natty. The best case scenario is that the rapist leaves the team voluntarily, and this all may fizzle away in time, but leave a few scars. The second best case scenario is that the University kicks the rapist off the team, the University claims that they are responsive to the student's, community's, and alumni's voice...and to ensure and underscore they're serious...fires Pelini. The worst case scenario is the spectacle of the rapist being a featured player/starter with accolades from the sports reporters. Those who oppose the rapist being on the team will become inflamed beyond belief, and the national media may stick with this story throughout the season. My suspicion of what will happen...the worst case scenario. Bo is stubborn, the AD is an idiot, and Tressel will try to convince Bo to leave after this season.

UNIFanSince1983
August 7th, 2017, 04:39 PM

Well these are very different things aren't they?

Darren Sharper was never charged with anything until he was out of the league so sure when he was playing why not. In fact from 2005-08 he was a Viking did you have a problem with him then?

Ray Rice seemed to be very contrite and sorry for what he had done. He, however, did not serve any time so it is hard to say whether this was sincere. If he could still play, and he had proven it was a one time thing and he was changed then why not?

Greg Hardy is a tougher one. He did not seem to be sorry for anything, and it was more of a pattern of behavior.

Lastly, all 3 mentioned and any other player you want to bring up were all adults at the time they committed their crimes. I just have a hard time disqualifying anyone who made one mistake for the rest of their life. Patterns of behavior are different, and if he gets in any sort of trouble while at YSU he should be booted. I am talking even a misdemeanor.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 7th, 2017, 04:59 PM
You just can't get that elusive 8th person to sign.....That's about right......only a few men left in this country.

Thumper 76
August 7th, 2017, 06:10 PM

Pretty sure at 16 he was well aware of how ****ed up what he was doing was.

Penguin Nation
August 7th, 2017, 07:02 PM
NBC (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/07/petition-requests-youngstown-state-remove-convicted-rapist-from-football-team/) sports: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/07/petition-requests-youngstown-state-remove-convicted-rapist-from-football-team/

SU DOG
August 7th, 2017, 07:41 PM
I was listening to Sirius Radio 84 College Sports Nation today when a guy from Montana called in. He is a regular on the show and a VERY loud-mouthed NDSU Fan. He mentioned the YSU situation. His thoughts were: "Let him play. What will happen to him playing against the Bison will be tougher to take than anything he got in prison."

Not sure why this is worth posting, but I guess it does show that national attention has been drawn to this story. Also, maybe there is a little humor to be shown here in what is a very serious situation(personally I align with Penguin Nation on the issue).
BTW, this same caller called out Bama, and indicated that the Tide, Texas, or any other FBS team would be beaten in Fargo. LOL!! He also said that nobody in FCS can possibly beat NDSU this year.

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 07:50 PM
You didn't have to prefix NDSU fan with "very loud mouthed"

It's all one and the same.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 7th, 2017, 08:54 PM
So Ray Rice, Greg Hardy, Darren Sharper (in the day) etc... you'd have no issue with your team signing them?Did they go to jail for their crimes do their time and then sign with a team?

Be honest.......

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 7th, 2017, 08:55 PM
Oh, I agree. At that age the body is ahead of the mind, though. I'm not defending him. And I don't think YSU should let him play football. Don't stop him from getting his education, but like others have said, letting him play football is telling all other future recruits that there are no consequences for your actions.Except this kid already did his time and paid for his actions.......continue the witch hunt

clenz
August 7th, 2017, 09:18 PM
Did they go to jail for their crimes do their time and then sign with a team?

Be honest.......

Sharper all came out after he had retired. He's spending the rest of his life in prison for being a serial rapist in multiple states - like 20+ cases of it. However, if he was in the prime of his career and got a shorter sentence he wouldn't be touched by any NFL team.

Ray Rice has yet to sign on with a team, 3 years later. He's one that I actually believe is "changed" after his incident. He's done a ton of work in the domestic abuse field and actually seems remorseful when he speaks.

Greg Hardy never went to jail due to some, interesting, turn of events with the party bringing the charges and interesting rumors as to why it happened. Dallas signed him (of course) but even they cut him. He can't find a home in an arena league anymore. One team was going to sign him, put it up to a fan vote on social media if they should sign him and the majority of fans voted no. Chances of him ever signing another NFL contract are about 0

Penguin Nation
August 8th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Paul Finebaum of ESPN has some advice for Tressel and Pelini:

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/20270505/petition-asks-youngstown-state-university-remove-malik-richmond-football-team

Over 9,000 signatures so far on Change.org .

TheRevSFA
August 8th, 2017, 12:25 PM
I'm sure it's been said but

criminal justice system should be used for reduction of crime and not as retribution for an offense. It should be both rehabilitative but also serve as a deterrent for offenses

In college sports, especially in college football, sexual assault is often aggrandized as opposed to discouraged. While the man deserves the opportunity to move on with his life and he needs constructive ways to spend his time (like going to college), football is a privilege not a right, and he shouldn't get to play or get the accolades that come with it

dgtw
August 8th, 2017, 01:01 PM
It is a different sport, but Mike Tyson was allowed to box after spending time in prison for rape.

ALPHAGRIZ1
August 8th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Only because online petitions hadn't been invented yet...........

cx500d
August 8th, 2017, 07:36 PM
It is a different sport, but Mike Tyson was allowed to box after spending time in prison for rape.

Which university was he representing?

dgtw
August 9th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Which university was he representing?

None, but he was granted a boxing license by the state of Nevada. He never fought in Ohio, however.

Penguin Nation
August 9th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Change.org update:

Signatures to remove rapist from the student-funded team: 10,419

Signatures to continue to feature a convicted rapist on the YSU athletic stage: 87

Story has gone international:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4772606/Steubenville-rapist-recruited-college-footabll-coach.html

http://elcumanes.com/2017/08/petition-started-to-have-youngstown-state-player-convicted/

http://footballhebdo.com/2017/08/petition-to-remove-convicted-youngstown-state-football/

Story picked up by a fashion magazine:

https://www.glamour.com/story/students-petition-steubenville-rapist-universitly-football-team

The first excerpt from Glamour Magazine in AGS history: "The school's Student Government Association, however, is siding with the petition calling for Richmond's removal. Its vice president, Ernie Barkett, told WFMJ (http://www.wfmj.com/story/36068560/football-team-member-prompts-challenge-from-ysu-student-leaders#.WYXAtS8lags.facebook) that they'd be arranging meetings with the school's president and athletic director. The Student Government Association also told the outlet in a statement that Richmond's inclusion on the team "completely disregards the years long work that has been undertaken by the administration of the university to increase the awareness and prevention of sexual assault across campus."

I read a tweet this morning that corporate sponsors of YSU FB may start being boycotted.

If YSU is hoping this dies down, they're mistaken. The outrage, and negative exposure to the University, is escalating. If the rapist plays, has his name called out by the broadcasters, and is interviewed like a FB celebrity, the blowback will get out of hand IMO.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 9th, 2017, 11:22 AM
I remember that case and I remember it well. I signed a change.org petition asking the judge to drop contempt charges against the victim (the reason I joined change.org). This guy has no business playing football at any level. If that young lady was my daughter, the "athletes" who raped her would be dead already.

Milktruck74
August 9th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Change.org update:

Signatures to remove rapist from the student-funded team: 10,419

Signatures to continue to feature a convicted rapist on the YSU athletic stage: 87

Story has gone international:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4772606/Steubenville-rapist-recruited-college-footabll-coach.html

http://elcumanes.com/2017/08/petition-started-to-have-youngstown-state-player-convicted/

http://footballhebdo.com/2017/08/petition-to-remove-convicted-youngstown-state-football/

Story picked up by a fashion magazine:

https://www.glamour.com/story/students-petition-steubenville-rapist-universitly-football-team

The first excerpt from Glamour Magazine in AGS history: "The school's Student Government Association, however, is siding with the petition calling for Richmond's removal. Its vice president, Ernie Barkett, told WFMJ (http://www.wfmj.com/story/36068560/football-team-member-prompts-challenge-from-ysu-student-leaders#.WYXAtS8lags.facebook) that they'd be arranging meetings with the school's president and athletic director. The Student Government Association also told the outlet in a statement that Richmond's inclusion on the team "completely disregards the years long work that has been undertaken by the administration of the university to increase the awareness and prevention of sexual assault across campus."

I read a tweet this morning that corporate sponsors of YSU FB may start being boycotted.

If YSU is hoping this dies down, they're mistaken. The outrage, and negative exposure to the University, is escalating. If the rapist plays, has his name called out by the broadcasters, and is interviewed like a FB celebrity, the blowback will get out of hand IMO.

Nah, Just use it to increase awareness, have the PA guy help out.... "Number 92, Convicted Rapist, Malik Richmond on the tackle for the Penguins."

Paladin1aa
August 9th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Well, YSU has released a statement about the rapist -- in a nutshell, he can be on the team as a practice player, but will NOT play in any games this season. Seems they are compromising on this to take the heat off. I have no idea how this will play in the community. I do know that if eligible nxt year, there is no way to keep him off the field with his talent. Pelini , the scum coach , gets to keep his recruit but can't play him this year. Tressel, the diplomat, throws up a Hail Mary.

Paladin1aa
August 9th, 2017, 09:07 PM
The full YSU statement can be found on WFMJ.com website and YSUs Facebook page. From the comments made this is not going down well at all. Alumni, students and much of the community remain outraged. Not sure it's over yet. Discussion of YSU business supporters being boycotted is rumored. Bo sure knows how to make a mess!!

rtzlunar
August 10th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Youngstown State defends decision to let student who was convicted of sexually assaulting a minor join football team, but says he won’t play in games this fall.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/08/10/youngstown-state-will-keep-convicted-rapist-football-team-wont-let-him-play-games?utm_source=Inside+Higher+Ed&utm_campaign=62d7be1946-DNU20170810&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1fcbc04421-62d7be1946-197572477&mc_cid=62d7be1946&mc_eid=a77df6a5c4

Penguin Nation
August 10th, 2017, 08:59 AM
YSU re-affirms that the internationally infamous rapist will NOT be removed from the YSU FB team, despite nearly 11k signatures that specifically asked that the sexual predator be "removed from the football team."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/player-who-served-time-for-rape-wont-play-for-youngstown-st/2017/08/09/caf56622-7d6e-11e7-b2b1-aeba62854dfa_story.html?utm_term=.a54c8a93d624

The entire statement is in this article:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/09/with-criticism-mounting-youngstown-state-wont-allow-convicted-rapist-to-play-in-2017/

The statement from YSU is inconsistent with earlier press reports about how the convicted rapist contacted Pelini:

-Vindy version: "He (Pelini) got a tip from someone in Steubenville that Richmond was on YSU’s campus as a student during the 2016 season." “[Saccoccia] told me he was [at YSU], but that Ma’lik wasn’t looking to play football at the time,” Pelini said. http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/04/pelini-humble-richmond-wants-to-put-past/

-YSU statement: "After matriculating at YSU, he (convicted rapist) expressed a desire to try out for the football program. Ma’lik was advised by the coaching staff that if he integrated himself within the campus community academically and socially and completed the fall semester in good standing, further discussions could occur." "In January, Ma’lik again inquired about trying out for the team."

Both cannot be true. IMO, likely neither are true. At he minimum, the convicted rapist felt Pelini was a sympathetic figure, and would be his best shot to being "normalized."

The YSU statement, as you'd expect is full of administrator speak, half truths, and outright falsehoods. One example of many, "YSU does not restrict any student’s ability to take part in extracurricular activities as long as they are in good standing with the institution." Absolutely false.All University's restrict student's participation for a variety of innumerable reasons including work ethic, interpersonal skills, attitude, etc. No University can or does select a player solely due to their interest and skill.

Speaking for myself personally, this angers me off even further. YSU doubled down on having a rapist on the team, and softly implies he may/will play in 2018 and 2019. I am not sure he even loses a year of eligibility as the statement claims, as he could redshirt this season.

Think of all the causes YSU could've championed, and they chose this. What a disgraceful organization, and what a pathetic excuse for a University.

clenz
August 10th, 2017, 09:10 AM
YSU re-affirms that the internationally infamous rapist will NOT be removed from the YSU FB team, despite nearly 11k signatures that specifically asked that the sexual predator be "removed from the football team."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/player-who-served-time-for-rape-wont-play-for-youngstown-st/2017/08/09/caf56622-7d6e-11e7-b2b1-aeba62854dfa_story.html?utm_term=.a54c8a93d624

The entire statement is in this article:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/09/with-criticism-mounting-youngstown-state-wont-allow-convicted-rapist-to-play-in-2017/

The statement from YSU is inconsistent with earlier press reports about how the convicted rapist contacted Pelini:

-Vindy version: "He (Pelini) got a tip from someone in Steubenville that Richmond was on YSU’s campus as a student during the 2016 season." “[Saccoccia] told me he was [at YSU], but that Ma’lik wasn’t looking to play football at the time,” Pelini said. http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/04/pelini-humble-richmond-wants-to-put-past/

-YSU statement: "After matriculating at YSU, he (convicted rapist) expressed a desire to try out for the football program. Ma’lik was advised by the coaching staff that if he integrated himself within the campus community academically and socially and completed the fall semester in good standing, further discussions could occur." "In January, Ma’lik again inquired about trying out for the team."

Both cannot be true. IMO, likely neither are true. At he minimum, the convicted rapist felt Pelini was a sympathetic figure, and would be his best shot to being "normalized."

The YSU statement, as you'd expect is full of administrator speak, half truths, and outright falsehoods. One example of many, "YSU does not restrict any student’s ability to take part in extracurricular activities as long as they are in good standing with the institution." Absolutely false.All University's restrict student's participation for a variety of innumerable reasons including work ethic, interpersonal skills, attitude, etc. No University can or does select a player solely due to their interest and skill.

Speaking for myself personally, this angers me off even further. YSU doubled down on having a rapist on the team, and softly implies he may/will play in 2018 and 2019. I am not sure he even loses a year of eligibility as the statement claims, as he could redshirt this season.

Think of all the causes YSU could've championed, and they chose this. What a disgraceful organization, and what a pathetic excuse for a University.
You get 5 years to play 4.

He graduated from HS in 2015
He was at 2 different colleges in 2015-2016
He's listed on the roster as having used 2016 year as a sit out year due to transfer rules - "technically" his RS year I guess
He's a RS Soph this year if I did eligibility regulations correctly. Meaning he can play 18 and 19

Yote 53
August 10th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Well, YSU has released a statement about the rapist -- in a nutshell, he can be on the team as a practice player, but will NOT play in any games this season. Seems they are compromising on this to take the heat off. I have no idea how this will play in the community. I do know that if eligible nxt year, there is no way to keep him off the field with his talent. Pelini , the scum coach , gets to keep his recruit but can't play him this year. Tressel, the diplomat, throws up a Hail Mary.

So a year from now the player will no longer be a convicted rapist? Yeah, this isn't going away.

Penguin Nation
August 10th, 2017, 09:32 AM
You get 5 years to play 4.

He graduated from HS in 2015
He was at 2 different colleges in 2015-2016
He's listed on the roster as having used 2016 year as a sit out year due to transfer rules - "technically" his RS year I guess
He's a RS Soph this year if I did eligibility regulations correctly. Meaning he can play 18 and 19

I suspected that the statement, "forfeiting a year of eligibility," was another falsehood from YSU. This is the same University that lied to the media during Ticketgate.

dcpsujag1
August 10th, 2017, 09:39 AM
wow i see there were alot of people on this board with NO SKELETONS in their closet especially from their teenage years. I dont condone what he did at the age of 16 but if he has not committed a crime since getting out of the juvenile system then the question becomes at what point does is he able to move on with his life? How is he to earn a living legally? ill tell you what will happen if you do take that away. He will start stealing. Thats what happens when humans go into survival mode.

Thumper 76
August 10th, 2017, 09:47 AM
wow i see there were alot of people on this board with NO SKELETONS in their closet especially from their teenage years. I dont condone what he did at the age of 16 but if he has not committed a crime since getting out of the juvenile system then the question becomes at what point does is he able to move on with his life? How is he to earn a living legally? ill tell you what will happen if you do take that away. He will start stealing. Thats what happens when humans go into survival mode.

Are you ****ing retarded? Yes I would bet (hope) that nobody here has a skeleton in their closet in the same stratosphere as what this POS did. Jesus wept. I cannot believe someone was dumb enough to go with the skeletons in the closet horse****. You embarrass yourself.

Nobody is saying he can't go to school. But a piece of scum like that damn well better not represent my university I support. Thank god I'm not a YSU supporter.

Thumper 76
August 10th, 2017, 09:50 AM

Translation: this hopefully appeases people enough for this to blow over and we can play him next year.

Penguin Nation
August 10th, 2017, 09:55 AM
A few comments from YSU alumni on the Change.org petition. Not a wise group to alienate, and there are not enough pro-rapists to make up for losing their support.

"As a YSU alum I am appalled that this man is allowed to participate in any extracurricular activities. I am not opposed to him getting a college education and bettering himself. Everyone deserves a chance at a good education. But after what he did- granted, he was 16 and admittedly intoxicated - it just does not seem appropriate for him to represent the university as a member of the football team."

"I'm a successful and proud YSU grad. I am absolutely sickened that Jim Tressle said he deserves a second chance. Not when you rape a woman and video tape it. You don't get to play football in college. Those are the consequences."

"I'm a 1996 alumni and I love ysu football however a known criminal that has been convicted of rape should not be allowed to play on the team. Rape is a horrible crime against women the young man does need to further his education and better himself And hopefully will not commit another crime. Absolutely not play football for ysu."

"As an alumni of YSU, I do not believe that this repulsive behavior of a student should be accepted and given an opportunity to represent the school in the field. There is no amount of time to accurately reflect the correct amount of time to be punished. He lost his entitlement to his glory days when he performed an in human act & destroyed the innocence of another's life."

"I'm a 2008 alumnus and disheartened my alma mater would even consider this."

TheRevSFA
August 10th, 2017, 09:57 AM

Definitely starting off strong with your first post....

dcpsujag1
August 10th, 2017, 10:03 AM
two things here: 1) i am not embarrassed by my comment. 2) I AGREE WITH YOU that football is a privilege not a right. I was speaking to the bigger picture here. This young man (he is not 16 anymore) should be able to attend school if qualified and be able to earn his degree and become a productive member of society. if he does not take advantage of that opportunity he has now then he deserves everything he gets after that. Now the playing football part in my opinion he shouldn't play. When you play a sport in high school/college you are an ambassador for said school and someone with that conviction should not be your schools ambassador.

Penguin Nation
August 10th, 2017, 10:03 AM

skeletons = a young unconscious girl, that I and a buddy dragged around, awakens mostly naked and with semen and urine on her after a night of rape...and I text bully her for weeks ?

Yeah...no "skeletons" here. No where even close.

The convicted rapist has gone rape free for a few years? Congrats rapist. I still don't want you repping my alma mater.

clenz
August 10th, 2017, 10:04 AM
My teenage skeletons involve skipping my senior prom to drive 4 hours to UNI to get drunk on a Saturday, while managing to not rape anyone, then sobering up and driving 4 hours home on Sunday....only time I drank before college actually
Swapping price tags on items to "save" a couple bucks.
Using the internet in ways that 15-16 years old "aren't supposed too".
Speeding

Not rape

Penguin Nation
August 10th, 2017, 10:10 AM
My teenage skeletons involve skipping my senior prom to drive 4 hours to UNI to get drunk on a Saturday, while managing to not rape anyone, then sobering up and driving 4 hours home on Sunday....only time I drank before college actually
Swapping price tags on items to "save" a couple bucks.
Using the internet in ways that 15-16 years old "aren't supposed too".
Speeding

Not rape

Hilarious! xlolx

POD Knows
August 10th, 2017, 10:17 AM
wow i see there were alot of people on this board with NO SKELETONS in their closet especially from their teenage years. I dont condone what he did at the age of 16 but if he has not committed a crime since getting out of the juvenile system then the question becomes at what point does is he able to move on with his life? How is he to earn a living legally? ill tell you what will happen if you do take that away. He will start stealing. Thats what happens when humans go into survival mode.STFU rapist, oh, and welcome to the board

Daytripper
August 10th, 2017, 10:23 AM

If you are seriously equating rape with having skeletons in your closet from your teens, then you are ignorant. Am I to assume that your skeletons include raping your classmates in high school?

Serpentor
August 10th, 2017, 10:25 AM
If you are seriously equating rape with having skeletons in your closet from your teens, then you are ignorant. Am I to assume that your skeletons include raping your classmates in high school?

I'll never look at Jack Skelton from The Nightmare Before Christmas the same way again.

Bison56
August 10th, 2017, 11:04 AM

Are you serious?

Milktruck74
August 10th, 2017, 11:15 AM

I'm sure Southern is proud to have you supporting their university.

kdinva
August 10th, 2017, 11:22 AM
YSU finally decides to bench this fellow for the year.....and it'll count against his "five year clock".....

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20170809215213291135008&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

Richmond, now 21, will be a member of the team at Youngstown State, but will forfeit a year of participation, the school said in a statement.

Yote 53
August 10th, 2017, 11:54 AM
YSU visits USD for Dakota Days this year. This whole deal should make for some interesting signage. The student body was not too kind to Bo the last time he came to Vermillion. This year could be very interesting, hopefully no lines are crossed.

YSU is completely tone deaf on this issue, it's not going to go away. Whether the player sits one year or ten it does not matter. If he steps on the field next season this whole circus starts over again.

Penguin Nation
August 10th, 2017, 12:15 PM
YSU visits USD for Dakota Days this year. This whole deal should make for some interesting signage. The student body was not too kind to Bo the last time he came to Vermillion. This year could be very interesting, hopefully no lines are crossed.

YSU is completely tone deaf on this issue, it's not going to go away. Whether the player sits one year or ten it does not matter. If he steps on the field next season this whole circus starts over again.

Looking at this purely from an unemotional financial and PR standpoint, this was administrative malpractice. I've posted alumni reactions, international media coverage, and petition results. Directly due to their steadfast support of putting an internationally infamous convicted rapist on the mostly student-funded FB roster, they've lost valuable and already limited support form the local and alumni communities. IDK what impact the boycott will have, but they may lose significant corporate support. People who were likely indifferent regarding YSU, now are disgusted by it. I suspect future enrollment will be impacted as well. Imagine if they passed on the rapist, and instead dedicated a day to community service...imagine how different the conversation would be today. There's even a newspaper editorial suggesting the issue of the rapist may be used as leverage in negotiations with faculty and University employee unions: http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/06/gift-for-ysus-faculty/

YSU administration deserves every bit of blowback coming their way.

gsf23nd
August 10th, 2017, 12:24 PM

Wait. Is YSU paying their players? How is not playing football at YSU going to keep him from legally earning a living?

clenz
August 10th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Looking at this purely from an unemotional financial and PR standpoint, this was administrative malpractice. I've posted alumni reactions, international media coverage, and petition results. Directly due to their steadfast support of putting an internationally infamous convicted rapist on the mostly student-funded FB roster, they've lost valuable and already limited support form the local and alumni communities. IDK what impact the boycott will have, but they may lose significant corporate support. People who were likely indifferent regarding YSU, now are disgusted by it. I suspect future enrollment will be impacted as well. Imagine if they passed on the rapist, and instead dedicated a day to community service...imagine how different the conversation would be today. There's even a newspaper editorial suggesting the issue of the rapist may be used as leverage in negotiations with faculty and University employee unions: http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/06/gift-for-ysus-faculty/

YSU administration deserves every bit of blowback coming their way.
This largely reminds me of Adrian Peterson after he beat his kid.

Vikings did nothing, ignored it. Media pressure grew and they still did nothing. Corporate sponsors ended their deals with the Vikings, directly citing the case, and all of a sudden he was suspended instantly.

The first sponsor pulled out from the Vikings on Sept 14th. He was suspended on the 17th after negotiations to keep the sponsor, and other sponsors, failed.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/daily-news/2014/09/vikings-pull-adrian-peterson-sponsors

Shortly after that Nike suspended their deal with him.

Damage was done - the sponsors never went back to the Vikings after that. There were some big ones as well - like Radisson Hotels

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2014/09/18/radisson-hotels-minnesota-vikings-adrian-peterson-pulled-sponsorship/15838217/

Radisson benefited greatly by its decision, according to data from Amobee Brand Intelligence, a northern California company that helps brands understand the world's online content and customers' interests. In a recent 12-hour period, Twitter sentiment around Radisson was 62% positive, 26% neutral and 12% negative. On the flip side, in the same period, there were about five negative tweets around the Vikings for every one positive tweet about the team.

"The positive sentiment around Radisson was mostly thanking them for forcing the NFL to take steps they weren't willing to take on their own," said Ammiel Kamon, executive vice president of products and marketing at Amobee. "The negative sentiment around Radisson was mostly around people who thought Radisson was overreacting."

And it looked like Radisson consumption was continuing to surge, according to Amobee data. The company said that if current projections held, 81% of Radisson consumption during the last three months would have occurred in a two-day period around its decision to suspend sponsorship of the Vikings.

"So basically, Radisson gets a quarter (of a year) worth of free publicity for the move, all because they were the company during this current NFL PR crisis willing to take the most definitive stand," Kamon said.

If YSU waits until the sponsor/donor damage is done, chances of it coming back is very low.

Paladin1aa
August 10th, 2017, 02:53 PM
The villain in all this is Bo. Once he found out Richmond was here, he went after him. Yep, win at all costs. Recruit a rapist the consequences be damned. Adding to this drama is the. Idiot AD Strollo , who is so inept and incompetent its a crying shame they keep this "local" good old boy around to screw up the athletic dept. Tressel gets C on this, damage is done and probably isn't over with yet, for moderating and coming up with a compromise. But bad PR with alumni, students and the community could be long lasting. They will be watching to see how this is handled next. If Bo gives him a schollie next year, I fear what comes next. Possible boycotts of business supporters of YSU football may yet occur. Good old Bo. Profane, bullheaded, doesn't give a sh it.

Milktruck74
August 10th, 2017, 04:23 PM
The villain in all this is Bo. Once he found out Richmond was here, he went after him. Yep, win at all costs. Recruit a rapist the consequences be damned. Adding to this drama is the. Idiot AD Strollo , who is so inept and incompetent its a crying shame they keep this "local" good old boy around to screw up the athletic dept. Tressel gets C on this, damage is done and probably isn't over with yet, for moderating and coming up with a compromise. But bad PR with alumni, students and the community could be long lasting. They will be watching to see how this is handled next. If Bo gives him a schollie next year, I fear what comes next. Possible boycotts of business supporters of YSU football may yet occur. Good old Bo. Profane, bullheaded, doesn't give a sh it.

As an incarcerated juvenile he is a ward of the state. Bo doesn't need to give him a schollie, he already gets to go for free on a need based aid...and probably some state Rehab program. All the while, the what does the girl get????

clenz
August 10th, 2017, 04:29 PM
As an incarcerated juvenile he is a ward of the state. Bo doesn't need to give him a schollie, he already gets to go for free on a need based aid...and probably some state Rehab program. All the while, the what does the girl get????
This is where it gets tricky regarding when Bo knew he was on campus and when he contacted "recruited" him.

A kid receiving academic or need based aid, and not an athletic scholarship, can still have that aid counted against the scholarship cap depending the contact before they walked on.

As I said, this whole thing really screams of really tip toeing the NCAA line for recruiting, red-shirting, etc...

I'm sure YSU dotted every I and crossed every T they could think of with him, but with this amount of scrutiny on him I can promise you if there is a stone that can be turned by someone it will

Penguin Nation
August 10th, 2017, 05:55 PM
Wait. Is YSU paying their players? How is not playing football at YSU going to keep him from legally earning a living?

Depends. Is their name Ray Isaac?

jk. Who knows what happened there.

Penguin Nation
August 10th, 2017, 06:05 PM

I supported Bo coming to YSU and supported him after his meltdown versus NDSU in 2015. I supported his sometimes wayward transfers and players, and even his brother. Man I feel like a chump. Bo is a disgrace, has caused tremendous harm to YSU for years to come, and needs to be first in line to be fired. The AD is an absolute moron and is so clueless that I can't even guess his level of involvement or approval. He may have been watching Nickelodeon and drinking from sippy cups this whole time for all I know. Tressel condoned it, recruited Pelini, and is almost as responsible as him. The last hope is the BOT, who I suspect will just let the train wreck continue.

The Yo Show
August 10th, 2017, 06:36 PM
While YSU shouldn't have added him in the first place, since they were going to let him be on the team, if they did drop him from the team at this point do they not risk him filing a lawsuit claiming Title IX discrimination? From the legal standpoint (and I'm no expert), it would appear that if YSU reverses course now (while morally correct), it would be subject to legal ramifications if he decided to pursue a Title IX discrimination case?

"Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”), 20 U.S.C. §1681 et seq., is a Federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs and activities. All public and private elementary and secondary schools, school districts, colleges, and universities (hereinafter “schools”) receiving any Federal funds must comply with Title IX. Under Title IX, discrimination on the basis of sex can include sexual harassment or sexual violence, such as rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, and sexual coercion."
"A complaint of discrimination can be filed by anyone who believes that a school that receives Federal financial assistance has discriminated against someone on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age. The person or organization filing the complaint need not be a victim of the alleged discrimination, but may complain on behalf of another person or group."

source: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/title-ix-rights-201104.html

Again, obviously the morally correct thing (and to avoid this issue) would have been to simply not accept him on the team. However, if he gets kicked because of a petition at this point regarding his past, there would most definitely seem to be potential legal ramifications for YSU. Stupid they got themselves in this mess. Anyone else have input on this? Maybe a lawyer?

Penguin Nation
August 10th, 2017, 07:38 PM
While YSU shouldn't have added him in the first place, since they were going to let him be on the team, if they did drop him from the team at this point do they not risk him filing a lawsuit claiming Title IX discrimination? From the legal standpoint (and I'm no expert), it would appear that if YSU reverses course now (while morally correct), it would be subject to legal ramifications if he decided to pursue a Title IX discrimination case?

"Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”), 20 U.S.C. §1681 et seq., is a Federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs and activities. All public and private elementary and secondary schools, school districts, colleges, and universities (hereinafter “schools”) receiving any Federal funds must comply with Title IX. Under Title IX, discrimination on the basis of sex can include sexual harassment or sexual violence, such as rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, and sexual coercion."
"A complaint of discrimination can be filed by anyone who believes that a school that receives Federal financial assistance has discriminated against someone on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age. The person or organization filing the complaint need not be a victim of the alleged discrimination, but may complain on behalf of another person or group."

source: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/title-ix-rights-201104.html

Again, obviously the morally correct thing (and to avoid this issue) would have been to simply not accept him on the team. However, if he gets kicked because of a petition at this point regarding his past, there would most definitely seem to be potential legal ramifications for YSU. Stupid they got themselves in this mess. Anyone else have input on this? Maybe a lawyer?

IDK Yo. Much legal language is intentionally ambiguous. My interpretation of the that is that rapists are not a protected class of individuals, but rather "sexual harassment or sexual violence, such as rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, and sexual coercion" are specified forms of prohibited sexual discrimination. IOW, "All public and private elementary and secondary schools, school districts, colleges, and universities (hereinafter “schools”) receiving any Federal funds" can't do those things to its student-athletes.

If it is actually, in fact, declaring rapists to be a protected class.....then I know a few organizations that would riot if they knew about that....and rightfully so

The Yo Show
August 10th, 2017, 08:02 PM
To me, it is how I interpret the statement when I read it. If they receive federal funds they can't discriminate on the basis of sex in education programs and activities and it clarifies saying "discrimination on the basis of sex can include sexual harassment or sexual violence, such as rape sexual assault, sexual battery and sexual coercion." To me that is legally protecting from discrimination (ie a prohibited action against a protected class) and would apply if he was kicked off the team. Again, I'm no lawyer or legal expert, just an interpretation.

Slightly off topic, but this is why I have the political views that I have and the problem I have with overly broad and vague language like this. Some lawyer is going to get rich arguing this point and winning the case (IF it hasn't been done already). Sure it is mostly doing alot of good, but that language clearly will cause it to be applied in a way that likely was not intended when it was legislated (giving benefit of the doubt to Congress on this).

Paladin1aa
August 10th, 2017, 08:19 PM
The easy way out of this mess is to keep him on the team, don't dress him for games and after the season is over , letting him know that walking on next year will not be possible ( and keep other walk ons off the team). Problem solved but may not calm the furor for awhile. In the mean time, Tressel orders Strollo to screen ALL players Bo recruits as schollie players and walk on. Can't be on the team until cleared by the athletic dept. I wouldn't put it pass Bo to do this again. He has a track record.

Champs
August 10th, 2017, 08:31 PM
This fiasco is another example of an inept AD. And while Pelini collects millions of dollars from Nebraska, he tarnishes YSU with his win at all costs attitude. Disgusting !

Penguin Nation
August 10th, 2017, 09:01 PM
https://miamisocgender.wordpress.com/2015/05/11/should-title-ix-protect-rapists/

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/title-ix-rights-201104.pdf

Yo, after reading the second link from the US Dept of Education, I really don't see how a rapist is protected by Tile IX because he's a rapist.

The first link is a case from Columbia (complete w/ a trigger warning lol), and the rapist claimed he was being discriminated against as he felt he was falsely accused. That doesn't apply here as YSU's rapist is a known convict.

Title IX just doesn't apply here, IMO.

Penguin Nation
August 11th, 2017, 06:46 AM
Interesting read:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/11/ncaa-announces-sexual-violence-policy/

"Brenda Tracy, a rape survivor and activist who speaks to college teams across the country about sexual violence , is a member of the commission. She has called for the NCAA to ban athletes with a history of sexual violence."

"Tracy has promoted a petition urging Youngstown State to not allow Richmond to play.“I think that playing sports and playing NCAA sports is a privilege. It is not a right,” Tracy said. “If we’re going to be placing student-athletes in that position of power and influence — to drive narrative, to drive conversation, to affect culture — then behavior matters. Right now, I feel like Youngstown is sending the message that violence against women, rape all of these things are OK. It doesn’t affect your ability to play sports.”"

"Two years ago, the Southeastern Conference barred schools from accepting transfers who had been dismissed from another school for serious misconduct, defined as sexual assault, domestic violence or other forms of sexual violence.
Indiana announced in April that it would no longer accept any prospective student-athlete who has been convicted of or pleaded guilty or no contest to a felony involving sexual violence. In July, the athletic director at the University of Illinois said the school was working on a similar policy.
Tracy said the NCAA has not ruled out implementing a policy like Indiana’s."

It looks like as YSU is recruiting rapists and attempting to normalize convicted rapists, most other Universities are going in a very different direction....treating rapists as...well...rapists.

Penguin Nation
August 11th, 2017, 06:50 AM
Update: Change.org petition to remove the rapist now with over 11k sigs

Yote 53
August 11th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Title IX does not apply. Rapists are not a protected class.

Penguin Nation
August 11th, 2017, 05:58 PM
The YSU student (Katelyn Davis) who began the Change.org petition now has started a gofundme account to raise money to increase awareness on the matter (fliers, t-shirts) and to stage protests on campus. Any surplus funds will be donated to rape survivor support groups. Katelyn appears to be an exceptional person.

https://www.gofundme.com/wqusbb

chattownmocs
August 11th, 2017, 06:45 PM
Damn I thought you leftist thugs would have gotten him kicked out of school by now. Of course it took them about 5 minutes to get someone arrested for street preaching so I don't know if I should be happy or sad.

Penguin Nation
August 12th, 2017, 08:33 AM
A scathing NY Daily News editorial:

"If you’re looking for a college football team to hate-watch this season, a team to root against every Saturday and hope for terrible things like last-second losses and missed field goals and fumbles to happen to, look no further than Youngstown State. That’s because in a college football landscape littered with them, these guys might be the biggest jerks of all.
First and foremost, Youngstown State president Jim Tressel and head coach Bo Pelini are allowing a convicted rapist to join the Penguins' football team. That’s bad enough. But rushing to the front of the line to give a kid who was convicted of raping an unconscious girl in high school a second chance is only half of what makes these guys the biggest jerks in sports this week.

When he was 16, Ma’lik Richmond and a high school football teammate were convicted of raping an out-cold girl, whom they took pictures of that they shared with friends."

"That’s right, he (Pelini) sought out a convicted rapist, who was minding his own business..."

"If you’ve followed Pelini’s career, you know he has a long track record of being a jerk."

"His boss at Youngstown, Tressel, isn’t much better."

"...Tressel and Pelini and the rest of the Youngstown administration have completely botched the whole thing by announcing this week that Richmond can practice and be a part of the football team this year, but he can’t play in 2017."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/youngstown-state-prez-coach-jerks-letting-richmond-team-article-1.3403403

Serpentor
August 12th, 2017, 09:46 AM

"If you’re looking for a college football team to hate-watch this season, a team to root against every Saturday and hope for terrible things like last-second losses and missed field goals and fumbles to happen to, look no further than Youngstown State. That’s because in a college football landscape littered with them, these guys might be the biggest jerks of all.
First and foremost, Youngstown State president Jim Tressel and head coach Bo Pelini are allowing a convicted rapist to join the Penguins' football team. That’s bad enough. But rushing to the front of the line to give a kid who was convicted of raping an unconscious girl in high school a second chance is only half of what makes these guys the biggest jerks in sports this week.

When he was 16, Ma’lik Richmond and a high school football teammate were convicted of raping an out-cold girl, whom they took pictures of that they shared with friends."

"That’s right, he (Pelini) sought out a convicted rapist, who was minding his own business..."

"If you’ve followed Pelini’s career, you know he has a long track record of being a jerk."

"...Tressel and Pelini and the rest of the Youngstown administration have completely botched the whole thing by announcing this week that Richmond can practice and be a part of the football team this year, but he can’t play in 2017."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/youngstown-state-prez-coach-jerks-letting-richmond-team-article-1.3403403

Damning, but keep in mind The New York Daily News is socialist trash. You might as well quote the Village Voice.

Schism55
August 12th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Dang, there is some serious venom in that article.

Lorne_Malvo
August 12th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Damning, but keep in mind The New York Daily News is socialist trash. While I do agree, I am having difficulty finding anything in that article that I disagree with.

Bisonoline
August 12th, 2017, 03:36 PM

The guy make a good point. If hes going to be on the team them play him. You dont bench him from the court of public opinion. His transgression was sometime ago and he paid his debt to society. If you let him in your school he should be allowed to play.

Plus he was pretty spot on when it comes to Tressle and Bo.

Penguin Nation
August 12th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Dang, there is some serious venom in that article.

It's a Christmas card compared to what these guys deserve. :)

Paladin1aa
August 12th, 2017, 07:29 PM
It's pathetic that the YSU board has so many "fans" that think this is all O.K. And that others are making a mountain out of a molehill. Speaks pretty low of many over there. Bo can do no wrong. Fu cking amazing !

As for the Daily opinion, what more needs to be said ?

Penguin Nation
August 12th, 2017, 08:35 PM
It's pathetic that the YSU board has so many "fans" that think this is all O.K. And that others are making a mountain out of a molehill. Speaks pretty low of many over there. Bo can do no wrong. Fu cking amazing !

As for the Daily opinion, what more needs to be said ?

Some serious rationalizations based on obvious misinformation, and just overall unbelievable pathology there. My favorite is the claim that 'students (or taxpayers) who don't go to games have no right to complain about an internationally infamous gang rapist wearing the YSU uniform (even though they are paying for that uniform). Unreal what ppl can talk themselves into. Not a good look for YSU fans. I don't live in Ytown anymore, but I sure hope that isn't representative of Ytown today. I don't think it is as the petition has over 11k sigs, and the gofundme page crushed its fundraising goal w/in 24 hours.

I'm embarrassed and ashamed to have an association with that school.

Paladin1aa
August 12th, 2017, 09:59 PM
I don't live in Ytown ( thank god), but do live in the Warren - Youngstown metro area. I can assure the local media (Vindy and Tribune) have covered the story and put out the story which has caused many of the "fans" to berate the papers. Much of the area is MAJOR upset. Why do you think Tressel forced Bo to back off and not play him after recruiting him to play for YSU so quickly ? As I said, the villain in this is Bo. Tressel did a major turn around because of the damage that could be done to YSUs finances AND to the business supporters of YSU football. The die hards are clueless. The attempts at rationalizing this away are juvenile. Some of the "supporters" are nothing more than scum. They exposed themselves and are in a small minority , even in this area, let alone nationally. YSU will have trouble living this down because of the idiot coach, administration and "fans".

Penguin Nation
August 12th, 2017, 10:17 PM
I don't live in Ytown ( thank god), but do live in the Warren - Youngstown metro area. I can assure the local media (Vindy and Tribune) have covered the story and put out the story which has caused many of the "fans" to berate the papers. Much of the area is MAJOR upset. Why do you think Tressel forced Bo to back off and not play him after recruiting him to play for YSU so quickly ? As I said, the villain in this is Bo. Tressel did a major turn around because of the damage that could be done to YSUs finances AND to the business supporters of YSU football. The die hards are clueless. The attempts at rationalizing this away are juvenile. Some of the "supporters" are nothing more than scum. They exposed themselves and are in a small minority , even in this area, let alone nationally. YSU will have trouble living this down because of the idiot coach, administration and "fans".

That's really the silver lining here IMO...that after something so egregious happened, so many good ppl stepped forward in a big way and expressed their outrage. That does speak well of the community on the whole. I think the only way to have fixed this was to fire Bo immediately (and maybe others), cut the rapist from the team, issue a groveling public apology, and subject the athletic department to a rape education/awareness course. But instead they doubled down....idiots.

milleniumkat
August 13th, 2017, 08:29 AM

My God that quote is sickening. Sheesh.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170813/7e25d66da18653fd40003b4f7097cb9a.png

"Do the things, win the points"

Penguin Nation
August 13th, 2017, 08:55 AM
Bertram de Souza responds to the blistering NY Daily News piece:

"The details of Richmond’s criminal behavior are now memorialized in newspaper and television stories across America and around the world. The fact that Richmond and a high school football teammate at Steubenville High School preyed on a defenseless girl and took pictures that they shared with friends shocked the senses of all decent human beings."

"While Tressel, Pelini, and Athletic Director Ron Strollo deserve some praise for recognizing that the Richmond situation had become untenable, Youngstown State University’s reputation has taken a national hit.It should come as no surprise that the Daily News’ Grossman referred to Tressel’s and Pelini’s own travails in explaining why there was such a myopic view when it came to convicted rapist Richmond."

"By now, some crusty old sports writer has undoubtedly chosen this moniker for Youngstown State University: “School for Scoundrels”."

http://www.vindy.com/news/2017/aug/13/another-black-eye-for-valley/?mobile

YSU has an Athletic Department budget of ~$15M. To spend any of that to internationally shame the University is madness. In an organization with accountability, there would be a swift response and heads would roll...but this is the University that keeps an inept and scandal-ridden AD around for 16 years and counting.

Paladin1aa
August 15th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Richmond missed practice last Thursday , but remains on the team. He got an upgrade on his number , moving from assigned #96 to his preferred #12. Listed as a 6'4, 250 DE.

clenz
August 15th, 2017, 10:52 AM
So he's even getting to determine what number he gets rather than being told "be glad you're on the ****ing team, you can deal with whatever the **** we give you"

Or the fact he even gets a ****ing number this year...wow.

Good to see who is running that program.

Penguin Nation
August 16th, 2017, 08:17 AM
"By now, some crusty old sports writer has undoubtedly chosen this moniker for Youngstown State University: “School for Scoundrels”."

or "Gang Rapist Sanctuary"?

I guess gang rapists are now a part of the "State of Youngstown" recruiting zone.

While YSU adds sexual predators/gang rapists to its recruiting goals, the rest of the CFB world is moving in a different direction.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/29/sec-to-ban-adding-transfers-disciplined-for-serious-misconduct/

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/new-indiana-policy-bans-athletes-with-history-of-sexual-or-domestic-violence/yshm7fhvc4281ea4eh8q1vxdc

For Bo to be such a staunch advocate for a gang-rapist, as well as his anger issues, really makes me think there's something seriously wrong with that guy.

clenz
August 16th, 2017, 08:43 AM
For Bo to be such a staunch advocate for a gang-rapist, as well as his anger issues, really makes me think there's something seriously wrong with that guy.
You're shocked this guy has some priority issues?

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/546/264/hi-res-26547db14df47f90589e9b518dd01bc4_crop_north.jpg?h= 533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top

I'd love to know what guys at Nebraska did that didn't get them a second chance. If spending time in prison for rape isn't enough to keep you off the team, I can't imagine anything short of murder would.

Penguin Nation
August 16th, 2017, 08:47 AM
From the Oregonian:

"The two United States Senators from Oregon and six colleagues on Tuesday sent a letter (https://www.wyden.senate.gov/download/?id=8C498D44-194F-462E-A8ED-091D4E4C6774&download=1) to an NCAA commission that recommended "a strong, uniform policy" for prospective student-athletes who have "serious misconduct violations" in their past."

"While Indiana University adopted a policy in April banning student-athletes convicted of a felony involving "sexual violence" and requiring mandatory criminal background reviews for every prospective student-athlete, the NCAA does not have a uniform policy on the issue.The letter specifically cited the Indiana policy as an example for the NCAA."

"Last week, Youngstown State bowed to public pressure and said Ma'lik Richmond would not play with the team in 2017. As a high school student in Ohio, Richmond was one of two teens convicted of sexually assaulting a minor in the Steubenville High School rape case. He transferred to the university last year and walked onto the football team with the blessing of coach Bo Pelini."

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/08/ron_wyden_jeff_merkley_co-sign.html

Bo and YSU continue to be an embarrassing example in the national media of what is wrong with having a policy of recruiting rapists.

Penguin Nation
August 16th, 2017, 08:52 AM
You're shocked this guy has some priority issues?

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/546/264/hi-res-26547db14df47f90589e9b518dd01bc4_crop_north.jpg?h= 533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top

I'd love to know what guys at Nebraska did that didn't get them a second chance. If spending time in prison for rape isn't enough to keep you off the team, I can't imagine anything short of murder would.

I haven't seen a single example of Bo passing over someone because of past conduct as a recruit. He had to deal with issues when a player assaulted another player at NE, but there he had no choice, and that's really not even related to this. BTW, I get the feeling that girl in the pic never heard some of those words used that way before. xlolx

walliver
August 16th, 2017, 09:03 AM
I haven't seen a single example of Bo passing over someone because of past conduct as a recruit. He had to deal with issues when a player assaulted another player at NE, but there he had no choice, and that's really not even related to this. BTW, I get the feeling that girl in the pic never heard some of those words used that way before. xlolx

Also notice that she has moved her right hand down to protect her lady parts.

clenz
August 16th, 2017, 09:12 AM
That will always be one of my favorite, easy access, photos.

The look on his face, the players faces and her face are just priceless.

It also helps that she is MUCH easier to look at than Bo

Paladin1aa
August 16th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Keep in mind Bo was constantly in the news at Nebraska. Foul mouth, anger tantrums,recruits with checkered pasts, etc. The more the spotlight was on him , the worse he looked.

Ysu has tried to hide him. Yet Bo always finds a way back to the spotlight, lol.

Last year was a combo of Wolfs recruits and Bo's transfers and a LOT of luck. He might need a lot of rapist recruits to help with his poor recruiting. Few transfers in but quality of players is dropping. What lies ahead ?

clenz
August 16th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Keep in mind Bo was constantly in the news at Nebraska. Foul mouth, anger tantrums,recruits with checkered pasts, etc. The more the spotlight was on him , the worse he looked.

Ysu has tried to hide him. Yet Bo always finds a way back to the spotlight, lol.

Last year was a combo of Wolfs recruits and Bo's transfers and a LOT of luck. He might need a lot of rapist recruits to help with his poor recruiting. Few transfers in but quality of players is dropping. What lies ahead ?
That's what gets me most about YSU last year.

YSU was garbage.
YSU was worse than UNI through like week 6. Equally as bad at the very least. 50 seconds from losing to UNI and looked like ass.

A QB switch got just enough juice in the offense to ride a defense with 5 NFLers on it to a title game.

**** YSU

DirtyDukes
August 16th, 2017, 01:21 PM
That's what gets me most about YSU last year.

YSU was garbage.
YSU was worse than UNI through like week 6. Equally as bad at the very least. 50 seconds from losing to UNI and looked like ass.

A QB switch got just enough juice in the offense to ride a defense with 5 NFLers on it to a title game.

**** YSU

Not to mention their fans said us throwers streamers "made us feel unsafe". That's a direct quote.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
August 16th, 2017, 01:36 PM
That's really the silver lining here IMO...that after something so egregious happened, so many good ppl stepped forward in a big way and expressed their outrage. That does speak well of the community on the whole. I think the only way to have fixed this was to fire Bo immediately (and maybe others), cut the rapist from the team, issue a groveling public apology, and subject the athletic department to a rape education/awareness course. But instead they doubled down....idiots.

This. I can only imagine the fallout if something like this happened at ETSU. Think about it, Bo knew: 1) this guy was convicted of rape, 2) bringing a guy like that on his team would cause a major problem and 3) that problem would be bad for the school as well. What does he do? He said to hell with what the others think. It would be akin to (fill in the blank)'s swim team trying to add Brock Turner. I really don't envy the YSU fans on here for your plight. If Carl Torbush brought someone like that on at ETSU, he would be fired same day and you can run and tell that, homeboy.

Paladin1aa
August 16th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Hey, YSU wasn't bad. Beating UNI was great. They had a good team. To recount, Rivers, a Wolf recruit, was a top NFL choice. The other DE was a Bo transfer , where he had been in trouble at Nebraska for exposing himself.

But YSU got lucky in the playoffs after being good during the season. That is the real truth. The problem is Bo is a villain trying to sneak a rapist on the team because he is a player. Hence the title of this thread - Winning at all costs.

Lorne_Malvo
August 16th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Hey, YSU wasn't bad. Beating UNI was great. They had a good team. To recount, Rivers, a Wolf recruit, was a top NFL choice. The other DE was a Bo transfer , where he had been in trouble at Nebraska for exposing himself. But YSU got lucky in the playoffs after being good during the season. That is the real truth. The problem is Bo is a villain trying to sneak a rapist on the team because he is a player. Hence the title of this thread - Winning at all costs. The problem with Bo is a list too large for most people to even attempt to type out.

clenz
August 16th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Hey, YSU wasn't bad. Beating UNI was great. They had a good team. To recount, Rivers, a Wolf recruit, was a top NFL choice. The other DE was a Bo transfer , where he had been in trouble at Nebraska for exposing himself.

But YSU got lucky in the playoffs after being good during the season. That is the real truth. The problem is Bo is a villain trying to sneak a rapist on the team because he is a player. Hence the title of this thread - Winning at all costs.
YSU was 28 seconds, plus the loss the week after to SDSU, awa from being 4-3 through 7 weeks rather than 5-2. Not only that, YSU wasn't a good 4-1 going into the UNI game. Wins over Duquense and Robert Morris, 8th place South Dakota and Illinois State who didn't hit a stride until late.

UNI had a 10-0 lead until the last 11 minutes of the game. It was 10-7 until the final 28 seconds.

YSU had 254 yards of offense despite having the ball for 36 minutes. UNI ran 9 plays in the second half...9... and it still took the entire half to score more than once for YSU.
YSU threw 3 picks by 3 different QBs. No passing TDs. They were 5-14 passing for 28 yards in the game.
UNI was complete garbage last year and YSU needed UNI to go "We don't even want to play offense" to get that win.

Even the week before, which was a 20-6 win over Illinois State was 10-6 until there was 2:23 left in the game. Illinois State going for points late, because they needed too, gave YSU favorable field position to make the score what it was. YSU was 6-18 passing for 89 yards in that game. It was the YSU defense that won that one.

The loss to SDSU YSU was 12-22 passing.

It wasn't until Hunter Wells was put in that things changed. Davis completed 51% of his passes for 108 yards per game - that includes 2 games against NEC teams. Wells stepped in and was average, and with YSU's defense that all it took. He only threw for 190 per game. Also had 2 1,100+ yard rushers that are now gone.

YSU, to their credit, found a formula to win games last year but were inches from being 5-6 rather than 8-3 in the regular season

Regular season wins were
4 point over UNI - scored with 28 seconds left to take the lead
3 point over ISUb - Trailed the entire game until the last half of the fourth quarter
7 point win over SIU - game was tied with 5 minutes left
45 point win over MSU - MSU sucks

Even look at the playoffs
14 point win over Samford - legit
16 point win over JSU - legit
7 point win over Wofford - 2 OT
2 point win over EWU - miracle could never be replicated catch with 1 second on the block

I've always said "Good times find ways to win close games". YSU found a way to win them last year, so credit to them. Looking at their results it's pretty clear they swung above their weight the entire season.