PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Recruiting

atlGAmocs
January 26th, 2007, 10:44 AM
According to the Chatttanooga Times Free Press UTC has 16 verbals[URL="http://http://www.tfponline.com/absolutenm/templates/content_no_ads.aspx?articleid=8804&zoneid=39"]

Rodney Allison's loading up in the defensive backfield. I guess he is tired of giving up 300+ ypg in the air. Looks like a good class so far. Only 1 BCS transfer so far. There are 5 JUCOs and 10 high schoolers. I don't think he's addressed the RB situation as much as we need to.

Eyes of Old Main
January 27th, 2007, 10:04 AM
According to posts over at Terrierfans.com, Wofford may be having its best recruiting class ever. Glad to hear Chattanooga is doing well too.

BrevardMountaineer03
January 27th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I haven't heard on ASU's recruiting class. Hpe the SOCON stacks up so that we can move up in Top Conferences with the rest of the FCS.

citdog
January 27th, 2007, 03:50 PM
We have 3 shrine bowl verbals and the kicker from Beaufort High. The State (Columbia, SC) Paper ranked Coach Higgin's first class #1 in the State. Not including the Cow College and the BCS Chickens.

FUwolfpacker
January 27th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Who are the Shrine Bowl verbals? Just wondering...

youwouldno
January 27th, 2007, 04:59 PM
El Cid has landed a few Shrine Bowl O-linemen, I don't think they were that highly recruited though.

Furman has focused on GA as usual, followed by TN... a solid effort in FL which is good to see.

Blueandwhitefightfight
January 27th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Georgia Southern has really stepped the recruiting up a few notches this year. Even with VanGorder leaving, we will still have one of the strongest recruiting classes I-AA has ever seen.

youwouldno
January 27th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Georgia Southern has really stepped the recruiting up a few notches this year. Even with VanGorder leaving, we will still have one of the strongest recruiting classes I-AA has ever seen.

xidiotx

BigApp
January 27th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I've thought it for 2+ years now, Allison's got the Mocs pointed in the right direction. If you can keep him...

Blueandwhitefightfight
January 27th, 2007, 05:56 PM
xidiotx

Call me an idiot all you would like. It's obvious you don't know anything about me and don't know to what extent I "would know".

umassfan
January 27th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I find this funny... by reading this thread... the whole SOCON should move to the FBS within 4 years because they are all getting the best recruiting class ever for I-AA

youwouldno
January 27th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Call me an idiot all you would like. It's obvious you don't know anything about me and don't know to what extent I "would know".

I am pretty much sure you have limited knowledge of the thousands of recruiting classes compiled in FCS history. To say GSU, coming off a 3-8 season and with a coaching change, will have one of the best classes ever is a totally inane statement. You can't even judge a class for years. I doubt this GSU class will be in the top 5-10 of FCS this year, let alone all-time.

I find this funny... by reading this thread... the whole SOCON should move to the FBS within 4 years because they are all getting the best recruiting class ever for I-AA

One silly GSU fan doesn't constitute "the whole SoCon" either.

Baldy
January 27th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Georgia Southern has really stepped the recruiting up a few notches this year. Even with VanGorder leaving, we will still have one of the strongest recruiting classes I-AA has ever seen.:eyebrow:

Appstate29
January 27th, 2007, 08:39 PM

I heard that ASU has a recruiting class coming in that would challenge the Colts for a spot in the Superbowl.

ASU Kep
January 27th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I heard that ASU has a recruiting class coming in that would challenge the Colts for a spot in the Superbowl.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: xlolx

appfan2008
January 27th, 2007, 09:38 PM
The truth is it is impossible to know just how good any one class could be for any one school until we see them play... on that same note I think we would be lying if any of us believe our class is the best ever bc it is all a wait and see thing

asufan87
January 27th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I'm still waiting after many years for the one coach who will actually step up to the plate on signing day and acknowledge they had a poor recruiting class.

citdog
January 27th, 2007, 11:53 PM
For all interested, the recruiting for The Citadel is covered very well at

www.thelordsofdiscipline.net

AppMan
January 28th, 2007, 12:07 AM
It is my understanding ASU has basically finished its recruiting and has 16-17 committments. All high school players, no 1-A transfers or juco's. Was told we have several players who were offered by other schools walking on next fall. Coach Moore is said to be very pleased with the class.

ASU Kep
January 28th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I'm still waiting after many years for the one coach who will actually step up to the plate on signing day and acknowledge they had a poor recruiting class.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Lionsrking
January 28th, 2007, 12:15 AM

That's essentially what Pete Richardson at Southern did last year. I don't have link or a direct quote but I recall seeing his press conference on the news last year and he didn't sound very enthused about his class. One reason you'll never hear it is because most coaches actually believe the players they sign are good, or else they wouldn't recruit them. Plus they have to keep the alumni excited heading into spring practice and later on the fall.

PaladinFan
January 28th, 2007, 12:27 AM
It's all completely subjective. Different teams recruit different athletes. Furman loves to concentrate on a strong linebacking corps, ASU on their defensive line, GSU likes quick backs, etc. All focus on different areas.

At this point to say one recruiting class is better than another is loony. All the SoCon schools get relatively the same two star athletes. It's all in what you need in a given season.

ButlerGSU
January 28th, 2007, 10:06 AM
It's all completely subjective. Different teams recruit different athletes. Furman loves to concentrate on a strong linebacking corps, ASU on their defensive line, GSU likes quick backs, etc. All focus on different areas.

At this point to say one recruiting class is better than another is loony. All the SoCon schools get relatively the same two star athletes. It's all in what you need in a given season.

That's exactly right. You can judge these players in 2-3 years but not a week before signing day.

Saint3333
January 28th, 2007, 11:00 AM
It is my understanding ASU has basically finished its recruiting and has 16-17 committments. All high school players, no 1-A transfers or juco's. Was told we have several players who were offered by other schools walking on next fall. Coach Moore is said to be very pleased with the class.

I think we'll be most impressed with the defensive secondary and d-line recruits. Four d-linemen will likely sign, one kid is 6'7" - 275 lbs. We are going to need one to two of these guys to contribute next season to make another run.

catamount man
January 28th, 2007, 01:01 PM
WCU has landed 4 verbals by name so far, but others are being courted.

QB Zach Jaynes Pisgah High School Canton, NC
DT Calvin Johnson Dematha High School Dematha, MD
DE Matt Winter Dorman High School Spartanburg, SC
LB Ricky Trower E.E.Smith High School (I think this is in Fayetteville, NC)

We've had 3 straight recruiting weekends in Cullowhee so hopefully something good is gonna come of it. I haven't spoken to anybody in the know though in 3 weeks.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

PaladinFan
January 28th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Furman picks up a verbal from a running back out of Marysville, TN named "Tank" Baker. Excited about this guy. We've had a lot of success with big running backs from East Tennessee (namely Mr. Felton).

atlGAmocs
January 29th, 2007, 09:11 AM
FCS recruiting rankings are far too subjective. UTC has had three or four highly "rated" classes in a row, yet has yet to prove its worth on the field.

"It is my understanding ASU has basically finished its recruiting and has 16-17 committments. All high school players, no 1-A transfers or juco's. Was told we have several players who were offered by other schools walking on next fall. Coach Moore is said to be very pleased with the class."

I wish Chattanooga could get to the point in recruiting where we take just 1 or 2 JUCO/transfers. I think this speaks to the health of ASU's program and depth. Hats off to Jerry Moore and staff:hurray:

flexbone
January 29th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Since we are all wishing -

I wish there was a "Rivals" or "Scouts" type site that kept up with FCS recruiting. During the season - it would be nice to see a list of possible recruits we are focusing on and what they are thinking, who they like etc..

FUwolfpacker
January 29th, 2007, 01:09 PM

I wish there was a "Rivals" or "Scouts" type site that kept up with FCS recruiting. During the season - it would be nice to see a list of possible recruits we are focusing on and what they are thinking, who they like etc..

Agreed. Unfortunately, it probably won't ever happen. What I did was go through all the southeastern states on scout.com and find guys mentioning Furman, same for Rivals.com. Once I got that list, I checked papers like the AJC, Phil Kornblut's updates, etc. Others from the UFFP found articles about Furman targerts, and all of them were added to our list. Even then, about half of our commits weren't mentioning us on rivals or scout.com. Just the way it is unfortunately.

Probably won't ever see a FCS recruiting service though. Not near as much money in it as there is in FBS, plus finding those guys mainly mentioning FCS schools would be harder since they aren't the guys getting all the pub. It would be possible, but it would take a lot of work and you probably wouldn't make a ton of money if any.

Getting info about FCS targets has gotten easier over the last couple of years though. With the growing obsession over recruiting, local papers are starting to get into the act which is where you'll find a lot of the info on the FCS guys.

Blueandwhitefightfight
January 29th, 2007, 01:42 PM

There is one for Georgia Southern. It is The Perch on TSCSports.com . You have to pay but the information is pretty good.

catamount man
January 29th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Quan Warley, the 2006 AP player of the year in North Carolina, has verbally committed to Western Carolina. Running back from Thomasville, NC.:hurray:

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

(same hometown as Brad Hoover!)

PaladinFan
January 29th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Quan Warley, the 2006 AP player of the year in North Carolina, has verbally committed to Western Carolina. Running back from Thomasville, NC.:hurray:

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Still doesn't leave anyone to block for him... ;)

catamount man
January 29th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I do know we had 2 OL flunk out, but we redshirted some studs last year and hopefully Ben Davies finally kicks the injury bug and can play up to his potential. I feel we'll be better than 2006. Hell, can't get much worse.:bawling:

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Peems
January 29th, 2007, 07:19 PM

while joe glenn didnt come out and say anything. he had the "lost class" of 2002, the year he left. i believe only dustin dlouhy our productive D-end was one of his recruits who actually did something.

atlGAmocs
January 30th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Mocs commit list up to 18. The 3 most recent commits are all local Chattanooga products. This brings the count to 1 BCS transfer, 5 JUCO and 12 HS athletes. I like the trend towards more high school players that will be with the program 4-5 years versus 2 from the JUCO's. This is the best way to build a consistent winning program. Now the hope is these are good football players

AppGuy04
January 30th, 2007, 12:23 PM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

he went where he could play, can't blame him

youwouldno
January 30th, 2007, 01:14 PM
he went where he could play, can't blame him

Not to mention where he was offered a scholarship.

AppGuy04
January 30th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Not to mention where he was offered a scholarship.
I would imagine WCU wasn't the only offer he got

youwouldno
January 30th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Who knows, recruiting info for non-major conference schools is basically bits and scraps. The way WCU's program is right now though, I doubt they are beating out lots of FBS and top-flight FCS programs for players.

GaSouthern
January 30th, 2007, 05:09 PM
GSU has 5 commits and 1 transferr that I know of to date :eyebrow:

we'll see how many we can get with the coaching change come feb.

catamount man
January 30th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Who knows, recruiting info for non-major conference schools is basically bits and scraps. The way WCU's program is right now though, I doubt they are beating out lots of FBS and top-flight FCS programs for players.

This is from Asheville's Citizen-Times website. Full story tomorrow in the print ACT. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WCU football team lands two-time AP Player of the Year
by Tyler Norris Goode
published January 30, 2007 3:03 pm

Signing day is more than a week away, but a two-time Associated Press Player of the Year has decided to play his college football in Cullowhee.

Quan Warley, a tailback for Class 1-AA state champion Thomasville, has committed to Western Carolina. Earlier this afternoon, Thomasville coach Benjie Brown confirmed that Warley made a verbal commitment to the Catamounts.
Advertisement

Warley was the state’s AP Player of the Year his junior and senior years. Only two other players (Chris Leak of Charlotte Independence in 1997-98 and Nick Maddox of Kannapolis Brown in 2000 and 2002) earned that honor twice.

“He and his parents had a great visit out there (to WCU), and they are real comfortable with the situation,” said Brown, who recently completed his seventh season as the Bulldogs’ head coach.

For a complete report, pick up a copy of Wednesday's Citizen-Times.

Staff Writer Andrew Pearson contributed to this report.

elonphan
January 30th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Agreed. Unfortunately, it probably won't ever happen. What I did was go through all the southeastern states on scout.com and find guys mentioning Furman, same for Rivals.com. Once I got that list, I checked papers like the AJC, Phil Kornblut's updates, etc. Others from the UFFP found articles about Furman targerts, and all of them were added to our list. Even then, about half of our commits weren't mentioning us on rivals or scout.com. Just the way it is unfortunately.
Once scout/rivals lists schools of interest for a player, do they ever update it with additional schools? Do some states get covered better than others? It seems to me that Georgia really gets thorough coverage of its players.

FUwolfpacker
January 31st, 2007, 10:05 AM
Once scout/rivals lists schools of interest for a player, do they ever update it with additional schools?

They do....if they're being recruited by a school with a rivals or scout.com site. If a player is added to the database and a school with one of those sites isn't heavily recruiting them...their profile is not usually updated that often. That's the way it seems to work at least.

Do some states get covered better than others? It seems to me that Georgia really gets thorough coverage of its players.

Georgia is covered pretty well. With the AJC covering recruiting now, GA is covered well on both the FBS and FCS level. In states like NC and SC, if a player isn't going to a FBS school, they rarely get covered (Unless it's a higher profile guy in the state who chooses a FCS school like Quan Warley(NC) or Malcolm Long(SC) ).

SoccerSmells
January 31st, 2007, 10:22 AM
There's likely one of three reasons that the big boys in state, in both N.C. and S.C., weren't recruiting their respective players of the year.

1. Grades, 2. Slow/Small, 3. Grades

The Cats have been known to take some non qualifiers and sit them out for a year up in the 'whee. Anybody else in the SoCon do this regularly?

SoccerSmells
January 31st, 2007, 10:28 AM
Now, mind you, I don't know if either of these youngsters have qualified or not, I'm just making guesses based on history and similar situations.

And I'm NOT picking on Western. I like their colors.

AppGuy04
January 31st, 2007, 10:34 AM

The only thing I can think of is that he played 1A football, the smallest class, thus doesn't get alot of looks. Otherwise, you would think people would be beating down his doors

FUwolfpacker
January 31st, 2007, 11:37 AM
As far as Malcolm Long goes, grades were definitely an issue. I don't know about Warley, but playin in single A probably had some effect. But if a guy can play, he can play....regardless of level.

catamount man
January 31st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Malcolm Long gave a verbal to SC State yesterday.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

FUwolfpacker
January 31st, 2007, 06:44 PM
Malcolm Long gave a verbal to SC State yesterday.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Yes....that's why I mentioned him with Quan Warley. Forgot to include that info. Thanks for mentioning it.