PDA

View Full Version : Murray State to Open Up with Louisville

TexasTerror
January 25th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Apparently this will be nationally-televised game. CSTV, ESPNU? No clue. Murray State will be in for a tough one...

Louisville to open '07 with Racers
Posted: January 25, 2007

Associated Press

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- New Louisville football coach Steve Kragthorpe will make his debut on national television on Thursday, Aug. 30, when the Cardinals open the 2007 season against in-state foe Murray State.

The Cardinals went 12-1 in 2006, winning the Big East title and the Orange Bowl. Louisville finished sixth in the final Associated Press poll, tied for the highest final ranking in school history. Kragthorpe replaced former coach Bobby Petrino on Jan. 9 after Petrino left to become the head coach of the Atlanta Falcons.

Murray State, which plays in the NCAA Championship Division (formerly Division I-AA), went 1-10 in 2006.

Louisville leads the all-time series 10-6, including a 68-0 victory over the Racers in their last meeting in 1990.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=171303

TexasTerror
January 25th, 2007, 08:15 PM
From Murray St Athletics...

Murray State University’s football team will open its 2007 season against the University of Louisville. The game was originally scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 1, but both institutions have tentatively agreed to move the contest to Thursday, August 30 at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium in Louisville, Ky. The meeting will be the first between the two programs since 1990.

“This is an excellent opportunity...
http://www.goracers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6700&ATCLID=752959

Maroons
January 26th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Hmm... Murray was very, very young last year. I believe almost half of their starters were true freshman. I don't see how this will be anything but a cake walk for the Cardinals. I'd like it to be otherwise, but I don't think Murray has the horses. I'm not sure anyone in the FCS does, really.

DetroitFlyer
January 26th, 2007, 09:42 AM
In the final 2006 GPI:

Murray State: 107/122

Dayton: 109/122

Granted, both programs had a down year. A "normal" year for Dayton ends up in the 60 range for GPI.

Even so, can you imagine Dayton playing Louisville next year? In the old scholarship days, Louisville was a staple on the Dayton schedule.

I am not against "money" games, but this one could be one of the ugliest games of 2007. I'm sure it will line the coffers of Murray State and maybe save the taxpayers of Kentucky and/or the MSU supporters some money.... I hope at the end of the day, both programs get what they need out of this game....

Killtoppers90
January 26th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I don't think Murray has the horses.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

That is an understatement!

Maroons
January 26th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroons
I don't think Murray has the horses.

That is an understatement!

Glad someone appreciates my play on words... :)

OSRacer
January 28th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I do not like this one...at all. The Orange Bowl champs to take on a 1-10 bad 1AA team....Even though we are 2 and 2 over the last 4 games with UL (going back to 1982) this may be the worst matchup in college football next year....

Footix
January 28th, 2007, 09:35 AM
What is the payout for this game? Louisville wanted Coastal, but Bennett declined b/c the cardinals weren't offering much more than $200,000.

OSRacer
January 28th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I believe 300,000....

Footix
January 28th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I believe 300,000....

That's trash ... Shows how far Coastal still has to go to earn some respect ... Either that or Louisville was left without other offers and upped their payout.

EKU05
January 29th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Louisville was pretty desperate. Vanderbilt backed out of a contract very late in the game. Honestly this may hamper Louisville's shot at the national title next year with the Big East still not getting the respect it deserves.

This one could be pretty nasty for the Racers.