PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville Ditches Penn for Walsh

Go Green
May 5th, 2017, 09:18 AM
The Dartmouth blog reports that Jacksonville has told Penn that they don't want to go to Philly in September.

http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/2017/05/jacksonville-times-two.html

Jacksonville would rather play Walsh. Penn had to scramble to fill the void... and apparently Ohio Dominican was the best they could do on short notice.

Any JU fans care to shed some light on the thinking here? You did beat Penn when they came to Florida a few years ago. Kind of bad form not to do the return game without some additional explanation....

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 5th, 2017, 09:31 AM
The Dartmouth blog reports that Jacksonville has told Penn that they don't want to go to Philly in September.

Jacksonville would rather play Walsh. Penn had to scramble to fill the void... and apparently Ohio Dominican was the best they could do on short notice.

Any JU fans care to shed some light on the thinking here? You did beat Penn when they came to Florida a few years ago. Kind of bad form not to do the return game without some additional explanation....

Pretty sleezy move by Jacksonville!! Penn basically has a scrimmage now before they head to Lehigh on the 23rd....

Model Citizen
May 5th, 2017, 10:36 AM
The blog can report anything you want, but is there any evidence that JU initiated the schedule change?

Go Green
May 5th, 2017, 11:17 AM
The blog can report anything you want, but is there any evidence that JU initiated the schedule change?

Other than the fact that it's a Penn home game, not yet. The Penn fans on the Ivy Board are pointing the finger at JU.

If Penn was the one who canceled the game, then I hope JU's fans will tell us that.

Model Citizen
May 5th, 2017, 12:06 PM
JU has fans?

Schism55
May 5th, 2017, 12:31 PM
JU has fans?
Zing!

kdinva
May 5th, 2017, 01:18 PM
JU has fans?

some......up until 2015, they sat in their own lawn chairs around the running track at home games...

cx500d
May 5th, 2017, 05:31 PM
Thats a Montana State move....

Son of Eli
May 7th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Dartmouth should cancel their home and away Jacksonville series for 2019 and 2020 before Jacksonville pulls the same stunt on them. There might still be time to get New Hampshire to fill those slots.

bonarae
May 7th, 2017, 10:11 PM
We should boycott the Dolphins football program at all costs... xcoffeex

Go...gate
May 7th, 2017, 11:20 PM
Dartmouth should cancel their home and away Jacksonville series for 2019 and 2020 before Jacksonville pulls the same stunt on them. There might still be time to get New Hampshire to fill those slots.

....or Colgate.

Go Green
May 8th, 2017, 08:10 AM

I'm sure Dartmouth will at least want to hear what Jacksonville's reason was before we ever consider that.

In any event, stuff happens. Dartmouth made UNH postpone a couple of games after yet another blowout Wildcat win in the late 2000s. Penn screwed Lafayette when a more attractive opponent was available, and that resulted in hard feelings. Colgate canceled a game against Dartmouth for similar reasons (although Dartmouth was probably happy to get out of that game).

Model Citizen
May 8th, 2017, 09:25 AM
Trivia question for Go Green: From which PFL school did Teevens' sister-in-law graduate?

Go Green
May 8th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Trivia question for Go Green: From which PFL school did Teevens' sister-in-law graduate?

If this is Kirsten Teevens' sister, I know that they met at DePauw when Buddy was coaching there. Otherwise, I know nothing about Kirsten's background. So I'll guess that her family is from Indiana, and the sister went to Butler.

If you're talking about Shaun Teevens' wife... I couldn't even guess.

Model Citizen
May 8th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Good guess, but that's strike one.

As a hint, I'll tell you that Kirsten is the great granddaughter of someone who founded a Big Five accounting firm.

Go Green
May 8th, 2017, 10:52 AM
Good guess, but that's strike one.

As a hint, I'll tell you that Kirsten is the great granddaughter of someone who founded a Big Five accounting firm.

Google tells me that Kirsten's maiden name was Anderson. But I'm not finding any siblings for her. Indeed, she was the only child listed in her mother's obituary write-up in the DePauw newsletter (Kirsten's parents apparently attended DePauw as well).

Model Citizen
May 8th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Second hint...Kirsten has a younger sister and a younger brother. I believe the sister is unmarried.

Model Citizen
May 8th, 2017, 10:59 AM
I also stalk Meryl Streep, BTW.

Go Green
May 8th, 2017, 11:14 AM
Second hint...Kirsten has a younger sister and a younger brother. I believe the sister is unmarried.

Always great to learn more info about Buddy's family.

But I already did a couple of searches, and can't find any answers. And given that the sister's last name is "Anderson," I'm waving the white flag here. I'm not going to find her on google.

Anthony215
May 8th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Penn taking on a D2 or D3 opponent makes more sense than Jacksonville taking on a NAIA/D2/D3 member as Jacksonville plays in a conference where the conference champion gets the NCAA automatic playoff berth. Essentially they're taking away a game that would count towards being playoff eligible for a game against a team they'll probably beat down without the win helping their post season aspirations. Also takes away a great road trip for their players coming to Philadelphia on a sunny fall day.

Anthony215
May 8th, 2017, 12:24 PM
Penn's attendance seems to increase when they host Villanova or early season Ivy League games but I certainly think they need to find a way to get at least 10-15k fans regularly to Franklin Field especially when they've won a share of the Ivy League title in 2 consecutive years.

RichH2
May 8th, 2017, 12:39 PM
I'm sure Dartmouth will at least want to hear what Jacksonville's reason was before we ever consider that.

In any event, stuff happens. Dartmouth made UNH postpone a couple of games after yet another blowout Wildcat win in the late 2000s. Penn screwed Lafayette when a more attractive opponent was available, and that resulted in hard feelings. Colgate canceled a game against Dartmouth for similar reasons (although Dartmouth was probably happy to get out of that game).

Think you mean Lehigh not Lafayette. LU refused to reschedule Penn until recently.

DFW HOYA
May 8th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Penn's attendance seems to increase when they host Villanova or early season Ivy League games but I certainly think they need to find a way to get at least 10-15k fans regularly to Franklin Field especially when they've won a share of the Ivy League title in 2 consecutive years.

So what happened from the days when Penn drew 34,000 vs Yale in the 1980's? Is it the decline in the Ivy product, the fan base, or that people would rather stay at home and watch South Carolina play Texas A&M than show up for a game at Franklin Field?

Model Citizen
May 8th, 2017, 12:53 PM
...given that the sister's last name is "Anderson," I'm waving the white flag here.

I see a point of confusion may have been the family changing the spelling from "Andersen" at some point after great granddaddy's time.

The answer to the question is Drake.

Although you didn't win the grand prize--Clenz's collection of licensed Drake athletic wear--I'll be sending you the home version of PFL Trivia. Thanks for playing.

Go Green
May 8th, 2017, 01:25 PM
So what happened from the days when Penn drew 34,000 vs Yale in the 1980's? Is it the decline in the Ivy product, the fan base, or that people would rather stay at home and watch South Carolina play Texas A&M than show up for a game at Franklin Field?

Penn is hardly the only Ivy team that has seen attendance tank in the past generation-plus.

On the other hand, they've been hit the hardest and without any easy solutions. Yale plays in front of tons of empty seats as well, but they haven't been a league power in a while. Penn has won plenty of championships while seeing attendance drop....

Go Green
May 8th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Think you mean Lehigh not Lafayette. LU refused to reschedule Penn until recently.

You may be right.

Story as I remember it was that Penn canceled the game to go out to California to play St. Mary's. Lehigh didn't take it well and refused to return Penn's calls trying to get the series back on schedule.

- - - Updated - - -

Although you didn't win the grand prize--Clenz's collection of licensed Drake athletic wear--I'll be sending you the home version of PFL Trivia. Thanks for playing.

Looking forward to next time! :)

RichH2
May 8th, 2017, 03:48 PM
You may be right.

Story as I remember it was that Penn canceled the game to go out to California to play St. Mary's. Lehigh didn't take it well and refused to return Penn's calls trying to get the series back on schedule.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking forward to next time! :)
Actually Penn never told Sterrett. He found out from a newspaper article much to late to try to reschedule. Luckily Albany generously stepped in to help us. True he refused to deal with Penn for over a decade. Cant blame him

Go...gate
May 8th, 2017, 04:49 PM

Right - we had a chance to play at Syracuse and Dartmouth was very gracious in allowing us to do so. I believe you played Bucknell instead.

I have very little sympathy for Pennsylvania and its scheduling shenanigans. Penn, dating back to Harry Gamble, has pulled that nonsense on Colgate a few times through the years. Not very nice.

Ivytalk
May 8th, 2017, 10:05 PM
I also stalk Meryl Streep, BTW.
Wait, what?

Go Green
May 9th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Actually Penn never told Sterrett. He found out from a newspaper article much to late to try to reschedule.

That's a part of the story that I had not heard. Certainly explains why Lehigh was so pissed...

I can only assume there was miscommunication in at Penn with the football office and athletic director's office each expecting the other to inform Lehigh of the news, and neither did.

Go Green
May 9th, 2017, 06:35 AM
Right - we had a chance to play at Syracuse and Dartmouth was very gracious in allowing us to do so. I believe you played Bucknell instead.

We did. Bucknell was available, Colgate also had a long winning streak against us, and Teevens had been demanding to schedule new OOC opponents besides the UNH/Colgate/Holy Cross slate for years. So all worked out for everyone.

We will never know what would have happened if Dartmouth had said "no" to Colgate's request to get out of the game. :)

RichH2
May 9th, 2017, 07:57 AM
That's a part of the story that I had not heard. Certainly explains why Lehigh was so pissed...

I can only assume there was miscommunication in at Penn with the football office and athletic director's office each expecting the other to inform Lehigh of the news, and neither did.
Probably so. No difference tho. Bottom line no one at Penn thought important enough to follow up. I hated Penn before that and still do :).

Lehigh Football Nation
May 9th, 2017, 10:05 AM
There was a time where reneging on an Ivy League football game scheduling agreement was unthinkable. Perhaps this might change some minds.

Hard to believe that Penn couldn't get somebody else. For example, why not Valparaiso? They travel ON THE ROAD to play Trinity International (an NAIA school) that week. What would it be to them if they played Penn instead? It would be a 1000% upgrade, and would be a trip to Philly for those student-athletes.

dgtw
May 9th, 2017, 12:07 PM
There was a time where reneging on an Ivy League football game scheduling agreement was unthinkable. Perhaps this might change some minds.

Hard to believe that Penn couldn't get somebody else. For example, why not Valparaiso? They travel ON THE ROAD to play Trinity International (an NAIA school) that week. What would it be to them if they played Penn instead? It would be a 1000% upgrade, and would be a trip to Philly for those student-athletes.

So it would be OK for Valpo to break their word to Trinity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lehigh Football Nation
May 9th, 2017, 12:14 PM
So it would be OK for Valpo to break their word to Trinity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.

Trinity is an NAIA school that isn't a peer of Valpo athletically. Trinity might be a nice, Evangelical Christian university, but they're not NCAA.

Anthony215
May 9th, 2017, 02:14 PM

I completely agree if you're going to travel make it a worthwhile trip. Valparaiso can fly out of MDC for only about $330 per person. And I'm sure they'd receive a bigger check from Penn than they will a small Christian private NAIA school like Trinity International.

seelarke
May 10th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Wish Presbyterian College would schedule some games with Ivy League schools.

Model Citizen
May 10th, 2017, 03:11 PM

So, Valpo is supposed to screw Trinity International to get a more attractive game?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 10th, 2017, 04:16 PM
So, Valpo is supposed to screw Trinity International to get a more attractive game?

Again, absolutely.