PDA

View Full Version : Stony Brook lands Mason

YoUDeeMan
January 25th, 2007, 12:04 PM
What the article doesn't say is that Dave Wannestadt, Pitt's coach, would not release Mason from his scholarship if Mason decided to go to Delaware. Other DI teams, yes, but Delaware, no. :bang: xidiotx

Posted by Otto Fad on the blue-hen forum -
Stony Brook lands Mason
TRANSFER FROM PITTSBURGH.

Former P'burg star decides on Division I-AA program from NEC.
Corky Blake
Easton Express-Times
January 25, 2007

Brandon Mason, the 2003 Express-Times Football Player of the Year from
Phillipsburg High School, will be in a Stony Brook University uniform this
fall.

Mason left the University of Pittsburgh program last September and enrolled at Delaware Tech with the intention of playing for the Delaware Blue Hens.

But Mason's coach at Phillipsburg, Phil Rohm, mentioned his former star
player's name in passing to a Stony Brook recruiter, and the Seawolves were hot on Mason's trail.

"They went through Coach Rohm and they were good about it," said Mason, who's currently enrolled at the Long Island university. "They were calling me every week. This is definitely the best opportunity for me. They have a new facility and the stadium is real big, much bigger than it looks on the Internet site."

Stony Brook is a member of the Northeast Conference, which competes at the Division I-AA level and awards a limited number of full scholarships. The Seawolves won the NEC in 2005. They were 5-6 overall and 5-2 in the conference last fall.

Mason rushed for a Phillipsburg single-season record 1,880 yards in 2003. He played as a true freshman at Pitt in 2004, rushing 17 times for 40 yards. Mason's sophomore season, coach Dave Wannstedt's first at Pitt, was cut short after three games by an ankle injury.

Mason was recruited by Walt Harris, who left for Stanford after the 2004
season. The 6-foot-1, 220-pound Mason will be a junior this fall.

"I have two years of eligibility left and potentially three," Mason said.
Stony Brook is coached by Chuck Priore, who's entering his third season.
Priore's staff includes former Lafayette assistant Joe Tricario as his
defensive coordinator and former Lafayette player Damian Wroblewski as his offensive line coach.

Bison_Kent
January 25th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Well, that writer didn't do his homework. Stony Brook is now a former member of the NEC and will play as an Independant this year. I believe the Sea Wolves will be offering near the full scholarship amount allowed soon and was why they left the NEC that only allows now up to 30 scholarships.

YoUDeeMan
January 25th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Well, that writer didn't do his homework. Stony Brook is now a former member of the NEC and will play as an Independant this year. I believe the Sea Wolves will be offering near the full scholarship amount allowed soon and was why they left the NEC that only allows now up to 30 scholarships.

Another note: Damian Wroblewski is on the Blue Hen's staff now. :nod:

henfan
January 25th, 2007, 01:09 PM
As implied, this decision was made for Mason to a large extent by his former coach, which is sad. Things must be pretty bad at UPitt for Wannestadt if he fears losing players to an FCS program.

It worked out well for Stony Brook and, hopefully, for Mason.:thumbsup:

GoGuins
January 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Guess we'll see him at the Ice Castle on 9/15

Franks Tanks
January 25th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Another note: Damian Wroblewski is on the Blue Hen's staff now. :nod:

Wow good for Him, I played with him at Lafayette and he was truly one of the fierceist competitors ive been around. Also Corky Blake for the express times is Lafayette's beat writer and believe me he usually doesnt do his homework.