PDA

View Full Version : Frisco gets company

bluehenbillk
April 21st, 2017, 02:43 PM
The Miami Beach Bowl has left town and landed in, you guessed it, Frisco.

Frisco Bowl will feature AAC vs. Sun Belt in 2017 & 2019 & AAC vs. MAC in 2018

DFW HOYA
April 21st, 2017, 03:04 PM
That's now four bowls in the Dallas area, plus the I-AA championship game. Overkill?

Model Citizen
April 21st, 2017, 03:14 PM
Nah. Even the Coastal Carolina cheerleaders want to get to Dallas.

BisonTru
April 21st, 2017, 03:20 PM

Only if Dallas pays. No free rides in Conway. 😃

RootinFerDukes
April 21st, 2017, 03:24 PM
40 bowls now? overkill?! I thought the mothership was bleeding money? Why do bowls keep cropping up like weeds?

The FCS title game will be better attended unless SMU goes... even then.

edit: i see this is replacing the miami beach bowl, so it's still just 39 bowls. Thank God. 40 would've just been too much.

bluehenbillk
April 21st, 2017, 03:35 PM
Well this game will be played in the same stadium as the FCS NC game.

Cocky
April 21st, 2017, 04:00 PM

Any named Debbie?

GodHelpTheBears
April 21st, 2017, 05:19 PM
That's now four bowls in the Dallas area, plus the I-AA championship game. Overkill?

Nah. ESPN isn't putting this event on to sell tickets.

kdinva
April 22nd, 2017, 08:14 AM
They waited until the stadium renovations/upgrades were done, so the bowl game won't have Caterpiller tractors showing up in the TV end zone shots.....

Hammerhead
April 23rd, 2017, 09:07 PM
Will probably have better teams in the FCS title game than in the bowl game. The last Miami Beach bowl featured Central Michigan who was 6-6 during the regular season.

Anthony215
April 24th, 2017, 07:44 AM
I don't understand why they would move a bowl game from Sunny Miami in December to Dallas??? The AAC got shafted with this move although they'll try to use we wanted to get a location closer to our Western schools (SMU, Tulsa, Houston) excuse.

RootinFerDukes
April 24th, 2017, 10:20 AM
No one was showing up to the Miami Beach Bowl and i'm sure they were bleeding too much money. If it's in Frisco, at least it's drive-able for the SMU, Tulsa, Tulane and Houston fans. The Western AAC and Western Sun Belt are all within a reasonable driving distance.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 24th, 2017, 10:57 AM
I'll ask this question since nobody else seems to want to. Does this mean that the FCSNCG will have to move? Like, this year?

RootinFerDukes
April 24th, 2017, 11:08 AM
I'll ask this question since nobody else seems to want to. Does this mean that the FCSNCG will have to move? Like, this year?

No. These Miami Beach Bowl games were played from 12/19-12/22 over the past three years. I would assume they'll aim to keep it around that same pre-christmas time frame.

BisonTru
April 24th, 2017, 11:09 AM

Why would it have to move?

POD Knows
April 24th, 2017, 11:28 AM
Why would it have to move?

He doesn't know when the championship game is because Lehigh football is usually shut down well over a
month prior to the game

Anthony215
April 24th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Logistically wise I guess it makes sense and the years the AAC is tied into the game they will probably use it for one of their western schools since all other AAC affiliated bowls seem to be on the East Coast besides the Hawaii Bowl.

PAllen
April 24th, 2017, 01:45 PM
He doesn't know when the championship game is because Lehigh football is usually shut down well over a
month prior to the game

Around here sometimes I feel like the Afghan who's helping out ISAF because he believes in the cause against the Taliban.

BadlandsGrizFan
April 24th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Every school loves to get a game in Texas regardless of when it is. Any chance to get your brand infront of kids in Texas ups your recruiting chances. DFW is quite possibly the best recruiting region in the country.

I'm sure none of these college coaches are upset about getting a game in the region.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 24th, 2017, 05:09 PM
So the Frisco area is now going to support the Cotton Bowl, the FCSNCG, and now this? I understand it's not all on the same weekend, but how much appetite will the area have for this?

Furthermore, the reason WHY the Miami Bowl is relocating to Frisco is that they've seen the success of the FCSNCG. They probably want the FCSNCG out of there. Do we know that Frisco even wants the FCSNCG anymore?

Put it this way: I can see the area wanting to keep the FCSNCG. I can see the area wanting the bowl game instead of the FCSNCG. I have a hard time believing they want both.

BisonTru
April 24th, 2017, 05:18 PM
So the Frisco area is now going to support the Cotton Bowl, the FCSNCG, and now this? I understand it's not all on the same weekend, but how much appetite will the area have for this?

Furthermore, the reason WHY the Miami Bowl is relocating to Frisco is that they've seen the success of the FCSNCG. They probably want the FCSNCG out of there. Do we know that Frisco even wants the FCSNCG anymore?

Put it this way: I can see the area wanting to keep the FCSNCG. I can see the area wanting the bowl game instead of the FCSNCG. I have a hard time believing they want both.

Why would you want less tourism? They gonna get sick of money.

Sent from the John using TapaTalk

DoWe
April 24th, 2017, 05:21 PM

You got you a source for that statement? Or, is it just more BS?

Lehigh Football Nation
April 24th, 2017, 05:25 PM
You got you a source for that statement? Or, is just more BS?

Why else would they be going there? It stands to reason that they are going to Frisco because they've been hosting a successful event. If you think Frisco wasn't hawking themselves by mentioning the FCSNCG, that makes no sense.

DoWe
April 24th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Why else would they be going there? It stands to reason that they are going to Frisco because they've been hosting a successful event. If you think Frisco wasn't hawking themselves by mentioning the FCSNCG, that makes no sense.
So, more BS.

GodHelpTheBears
April 24th, 2017, 06:28 PM
I don't understand why they would move a bowl game from Sunny Miami in December to Dallas??? The AAC got shafted with this move although they'll try to use we wanted to get a location closer to our Western schools (SMU, Tulsa, Houston) excuse.

From sunny Miami to...sunny Dallas. It was over 80 on Christmas day in the DFW area last year. Don't behave as if this is being moved to somewhere in the midwest.

GodHelpTheBears
April 24th, 2017, 06:39 PM

1) Pizza Hut Park and Jerryworld are an hour apart with light traffic. The Metroplex as a rule does not have light traffic, which makes attendance cannibalization highly unlikely.

2) My understanding is that the Miami Beach Bowl was scheduled very early in bowl season, as in before Christmas. As we all know, the NCG is played after New Year's.

BisonTru
April 24th, 2017, 06:40 PM
From sunny Miami to...sunny Dallas. It was over 80 on Christmas day in the DFW area last year. Don't behave as if this is being moved to somewhere in the midwest.

Having been to Frisco 4 times it can be a bit chilly in January. One year it was 65-70. The other three were at least a light jacket weather.

Also from past experiences there is zero chance Frisco wants to lose this game. It's been sold out 6 of the 7 years they've had it.

That last paragraph is more in response to LFN than you bear.

GodHelpTheBears
April 24th, 2017, 06:41 PM
Having been to Frisco 4 times it can be a bit chilly in January. One year it was 65-70. The other three were at least a light jacket weather.

Also from past experiences there is zero chance Frisco wants to lose this game. It's been sold out 6 of the 7 years they've had it.

I felt just felt it was worth pointing out. xthumbsupx

BisonTru
April 24th, 2017, 06:48 PM
Cmon LFN, they aren't trying to replace the FCS CG with this. Hopefully then can get better attendance being potentially closer to some schools.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/football/51dqan/picture121888983/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/21MIAMI+BEACH+BOWL_CPJ

cx500d
April 24th, 2017, 07:06 PM
Just 4? So you aren't a real fan I guess.

Bisonoline
April 24th, 2017, 07:46 PM

Where do you come up with this ****? xrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesx

citdog
April 24th, 2017, 08:01 PM

http://www.rehabcenter.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Paint-Thinner.png

TheKingpin28
April 24th, 2017, 08:06 PM

https://twitter.com/AwfulWhiteQBs

My best guess.

cx500d
April 24th, 2017, 08:10 PM
I think I posted what a couple of the HIGH school stadiums look like around Frisco... Never mind the Cotton Bowl (choose one, original or Jerryworld) are an hour from Frisco.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24880&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24881&stc=1

DFW HOYA
April 24th, 2017, 08:33 PM
http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/the-five-best-high-school-football-stadiums-in-dfw-7115295

cx500d
April 24th, 2017, 11:23 PM
That articles getting a little dated with McKinney opening this year and Frisco in jerryjr world...

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/the-five-best-high-school-football-stadiums-in-dfw-7115295

RootinFerDukes
April 25th, 2017, 08:14 AM

Please stop it with this conspiracy theory nonsense. The city of Frisco is probably contractually obligated to hold the FCS game through 2020, or whatever year. They'd have to buy it out and pay a considerable amount of money just to move it elsewhere.

In the DFW area, there is now:

Frisco Bowl
Armed Forces Bowl
Heart of Dallas Bowl
Cotton Bowl

That's four bowl games and an occasional FBS playoff game played in Cowboys stadium every four or so years.

mango433
April 25th, 2017, 08:50 AM

Yes, because if I know one thing in life it's that Texans HATE football. xrolleyesx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 25th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Please stop it with this conspiracy theory nonsense. The city of Frisco is probably contractually obligated to hold the FCS game through 2020, or whatever year. They'd have to buy it out and pay a considerable amount of money just to move it elsewhere.

Frisco Bowl
Armed Forces Bowl
Heart of Dallas Bowl
Cotton Bowl

That's four bowl games and an occasional FBS playoff game played in Cowboys stadium every four or so years.

Perhaps the DFW area's appetite for football is insatiable, but I have some serious doubts.

walliver
April 25th, 2017, 09:25 AM

Frisco Bowl
Armed Forces Bowl
Heart of Dallas Bowl
Cotton Bowl

The only one with a lot of interest in the entire DFW metro area is the Cotton Bowl.
The FCS championship attracts primarily fans of the teams involved, as do the other bowl games. I doubt that many Dallas or Fort Worth residents are driving to Frisco to see the FCS championship unless they happen to be fans of an involved team.

The Miami Beach Bowl and FCS championship are fairly small games compared with the big bowls, and there is no reason Frisco can't rent hotel rooms and sell beer to both crowds.

If Frisco loses interest, Chattanooga would take the game in a heartbeat (and Charleston would have if the Citadel hadn't decided to tear down half their stadium).

Lehigh Football Nation
April 25th, 2017, 09:44 AM
So, more BS.

Here's what is known:

* ESPN acquired the bowl from the AAC
* ESPN was in negotiations with the town of Frisco and Hunt Properties (which owns the stadium)
* ESPN televised the FCSNCG in that same stadium and Hunt Properties

So you can crawl back down into that hole from whence you came now

Daytripper
April 25th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Perhaps the DFW area's appetite for football is insatiable, but I have some serious doubts.

Locals don't necessarily go to the FCSNCG. These are fans flying and driving in from outside of the Dallas area. The bowl games likely draw more locals.

cx500d
April 25th, 2017, 04:47 PM
There are a number of locals that go...I have some work buddies that have season tickets for the Dallas soccer team that plays at Frisco. They have rights to buy tickets for the FCS game as well, and they do. During my 5 times at the FCS, I've met locals who just show up after buying tickets at the last second, either in front of the stadium or online because someone is always unloading at the last second. Probably in the hundreds at best, but other than the first year, which was cold, they have pretty much been sold out (on paper).

Locals don't necessarily go to the FCSNCG. These are fans flying and driving in from outside of the Dallas area. The bowl games likely draw more locals.

Bisonoline
April 25th, 2017, 05:13 PM

You dont own a business do you. What do you think the Hotel, Bar, Restaurant and tourism industry would say to your idiotic question?

I know for a fact that some of the bar-restaurants in Frisco gave their employees the chance to pick what which weekend they wanted to work. The FCS Championship weekend or New years eve and day. Guess which one they picked so they could make more money.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 25th, 2017, 06:10 PM

Miami is just not as much of a football city as Dallas. The MBB hosted South Florida a couple of years ago and got only around 21k in attendance.

This move also puts it nearer a lot of western SBC, CUSA, and AAC schools.

Putting G5 bowls in cities outside the conference footprint is just not a good business model.

citdog
April 25th, 2017, 06:13 PM
western SBC, CUSA, and AAC schools.

https://memecrunch.com/meme/2284P/phil-hartman-sinatra-never-heard-of-em-next/image.jpg?w=400&c=1

Lehigh Football Nation
May 23rd, 2017, 02:08 PM
Nah, Frisco's success with the FCSNCG had absolutely nothing to do with ESPN's decision.

http://espnevents.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Frisco-Bowl-Announcement-Twitter.jpg

RootinFerDukes
May 23rd, 2017, 02:29 PM
I'm sorry but that's some BULL**** if they're using an FCS national championship game photo to showcase their stupid ass bowl. There will never be that many butts in those seats for the Frisco Bowl, I promise you that.

JFC they even took the time to photoshop out the team names in the endzone.

BadlandsGrizFan
May 23rd, 2017, 03:51 PM
You dont own a business do you. What do you think the Hotel, Bar, Restaurant and tourism industry would say to your idiotic question?

I know for a fact that some of the bar-restaurants in Frisco gave their employees the chance to pick what which weekend they wanted to work. The FCS Championship weekend or New years eve and day. Guess which one they picked so they could make more money.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that Frisco wants as many of these types of sporting events as it can get. I've sat in the meetings with councilmen and city leaders to discuss these very issues.

Frisco has branded itself as the sports Mecca of the US. It has two farm system teams for the Mavericks and Rangers, FC Dallas, and the world headquarters of the Cowboys. It also has some of the nicest indoor soccer facilities in the country. Baylor is currently constructing the first of its type, state of the art Neuroscience and sports rehab facility right next to the Star.

They just locked in the Conference USA mens and womens basketball tourneys, Texas Tech holds its spring game in Frisco, and they're working on bringing multiple professional boxing events to the star. Last year the D2 mens basketball national championships were help in Frisco also.

Bottom line is Frisco is sports hungry and the leaders in Frisco have the expertise and know how to get these big events done and attract them to Frisco. I have said as much numerous times on this page but nobody seems to listen. The FCS chipper is going to be here for A VERY LONG TIME!

Daytripper
May 23rd, 2017, 04:04 PM
I can tell you with absolute certainty that Frisco wants as many of these types of sporting events as it can get. I've sat in the meetings with councilmen and city leaders to discuss these very issues.

Frisco has branded itself as the sports Mecca of the US. It has two farm system teams for the Mavericks and Rangers, FC Dallas, and the world headquarters of the Cowboys. It also has some of the nicest indoor soccer facilities in the country. Baylor is currently constructing the first of its type, state of the art Neuroscience and sports rehab facility right next to the Star.

They just locked in the Conference USA mens and womens basketball tourneys, Texas Tech holds its spring game in Frisco, and they're working on bringing multiple professional boxing events to the star. Last year the D2 mens basketball national championships were help in Frisco also.

Bottom line is Frisco is sports hungry and the leaders in Frisco have the expertise and know how to get these big events done and attract them to Frisco. I have said as much numerous times on this page but nobody seems to listen. The FCS chipper is going to be here for A VERY LONG TIME!

It is also home to the main offices of the Southland Conference.

ASU33
May 23rd, 2017, 04:12 PM
I'm sorry but that's some BULL**** if they're using an FCS national championship game photo to showcase their stupid ass bowl. There will never be that many butts in those seats for the Frisco Bowl, I promise you that.

Facts!

Milktruck74
May 23rd, 2017, 04:16 PM

While I agree....in fairness, how many FOOTBALL game pic do they have to choose from? I know there is a Soccer team that plays there regularly, but how many football games have they had there, outside of the FCSNC?

Milktruck74
May 23rd, 2017, 04:19 PM
I just looked it up, they do have HS football there, and those pics are probably about as full.

GodHelpTheBears
May 23rd, 2017, 06:08 PM
So two thoughts about the postseason "glut" in the Metroplex:

1) ESPN does not care about butts in seats - think of Pizza Hut Park as an open air studio for broadcasting a football game. I imagine many of the tickets will be underwritten by somebody, whether it's the schools themselves, local businesses or local government so that ESPN doesn't eat a significant loss.

2) DFW is very spread out. Frisco and Arlington are at least an hour apart. The fact that the four bowls will all be in different communities means there will be little cannibalism of whatever "local market" there is, with "local market" being more relevant in the sense that the company in Frisco won't feel any peer pressure about having to purchase tickets for games in Dallas, Fort Worth or Arlington.

cx500d
May 23rd, 2017, 10:38 PM
It could be SMU vs North Texas and not be a sellout.

DoWe
May 24th, 2017, 01:02 AM
Why does any of this even matter? Frisco is a municipality with its own agenda. If FCS wants a location that appeals exclusively to the FCS for their championship game I am sure you can find one. Beyond that, Frisco owes nothing to the FCS, nothing at all.

RootinFerDukes
May 24th, 2017, 07:42 AM
It could be SMU vs North Texas and not be a sellout.

An FCSNCG featuring EWU and Maine would draw more people than a bowl game between SMU and UNT. That's a fact, jack!

bluehenbillk
May 24th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Cmon don't be stoopid.

ST_Lawson
May 24th, 2017, 09:18 AM
An FCSNCG featuring EWU and Maine would draw more people than a bowl game between SMU and UNT. That's a fact, jack!

I'd call it a toss-up....0=0....although if a random armadillo wanders into the stadium, that could really skew the results one way or the other.

BadlandsGrizFan
May 24th, 2017, 09:36 AM
I really dont understand what everybody's issue with this is.

Two things I've never heard in my life;

1. Thats just too much football for Texas....

2. Frisco is just too good at making money off sporting events...

IBleedYellow
May 24th, 2017, 10:46 AM
I really dont understand what everybody's issue with this is.

Two things I've never heard in my life;

1. Thats just too much football for Texas....

2. Frisco is just too good at making money off sporting events...

HOW DARE FRISCO BRING IN MORE MONEY!

Lehigh Football Nation
May 24th, 2017, 11:39 AM
The FCSNCG contract puts the game in Frisco until 2020. The question is, whether the next round of negotiations with the NCAA will result in the NCAA re-upping and extending the contract, or not. I'm not totally sure what the presence of an ESPN-owned bowl means to the negotiation, but it clearly now means Frisco can afford to lose the FCSNCG and most likely not suffer financially. So how bad does Frisco want it, and how bad does the NCAA want it there? The presence of a bowl game won't help on either front.

Bisonoline
May 24th, 2017, 03:11 PM
The FCSNCG contract puts the game in Frisco until 2020. The question is, whether the next round of negotiations with the NCAA will result in the NCAA re-upping and extending the contract, or not. I'm not totally sure what the presence of an ESPN-owned bowl means to the negotiation, but it clearly now means Frisco can afford to lose the FCSNCG and most likely not suffer financially. So how bad does Frisco want it, and how bad does the NCAA want it there? The presence of a bowl game won't help on either front.
You dont make damn bit of sense. Youve already been trying to bang this drum earlier. JFC

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 24th, 2017, 03:19 PM
All I know is the only way I'll make it to Frisco is if Lehigh makes it to the title game. No way in hell would I piss away money to see Temple play in a bowl game there....

dgtw
May 24th, 2017, 08:28 PM
On a side note, Conference USA will play their basketball tournaments in Frisco next year at the Cowboys' practice facility.

Apparently they are going to play a men's game and a women's game at the same time with a big curtain between two courts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
May 24th, 2017, 09:18 PM
On a side note, Conference USA will play their basketball tournaments in Frisco next year at the Cowboys' practice facility.

Apparently they are going to play a men's game and a women's game at the same time with a big curtain between two courts.

WTF? Why? LFN thinks Frisco is pretty flush with big events and doesnt want anymore. xdizzyx

RootinFerDukes
May 25th, 2017, 10:16 AM
All I know is the only way I'll make it to Frisco is if Lehigh makes it to the title game. No way in hell would I piss away money to see Temple play in a bowl game there....

I am the same way. I didn't hesitate to go to Frisco to see JMU play. If JMU moved to FBS and played in the Frisco bowl, however, I wouldn't have even entertained spending the money to go. Bowl games are just not worth your time unless it's within reasonable driving distance and minimal cost.

DFW HOYA
May 25th, 2017, 12:15 PM

Don't underestimate ESPN's financial position in this. If the Worldwide Leader is taking on even more water on subscribers, they may opt out of the second and third-tier bowl business altogether.

Schism55
May 25th, 2017, 04:38 PM
Don't underestimate ESPN's financial position in this. If the Worldwide Leader is taking on even more water on subscribers, they may opt out of the second and third-tier bowl business altogether.
Have to disagree on this. ESPN has already shown they will shed talent before programming.

flyrod
May 25th, 2017, 04:48 PM
I am the same way. I didn't hesitate to go to Frisco to see JMU play. If JMU moved to FBS and played in the Frisco bowl, however, I wouldn't have even entertained spending the money to go. Bowl games are just not worth your time unless it's within reasonable driving distance and minimal cost.

​THIS!!!!!

RootinFerDukes
June 5th, 2017, 01:17 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/sports/frisco-to-host-fcs-bowl-game-sportsday-onair/vp-BBBQCeY

Honestly... I don't blame them for not noticing their glaring mistake throughout this segment. The G5 is a lot closer to FCS than the P5 anyways.

DFW HOYA
August 18th, 2017, 10:59 PM
http://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/michael-berry/content/2017-08-18-watch-katy-tx-unveils-70-million-high-school-stadium/

cx500d
August 19th, 2017, 09:08 AM
http://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/michael-berry/content/2017-08-18-watch-katy-tx-unveils-70-million-high-school-stadium/

Maybe sammy can move out of their track stadium and rent it.

Wildcat1997
August 19th, 2017, 10:25 AM
http://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/michael-berry/content/2017-08-18-watch-katy-tx-unveils-70-million-high-school-stadium/Damn, a high school stadium cost more than our brand new stadium.

kdinva
August 19th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Maybe sammy can move out of their track stadium and rent it.

...or airlift it to N. charleston/Ladson...

kdinva
August 19th, 2017, 12:48 PM

did mention eight different HS will use it.....could be at least three games per weekend....

RootinFerDukes
August 19th, 2017, 03:30 PM
We can move it to that HS stadium. I wouldn't even be mad.

cx500d
August 19th, 2017, 03:34 PM
We can move it to that HS stadium. I wouldn't even be mad.

Nobody would.

KnightoftheRedFlash
August 30th, 2017, 06:43 PM

Wow. What a silly statement. I attended the Army bowl win over North Texas at the HOD Bowl in the Cotton Bowl. North Texas brought a large contingent.

A Frisco Bowl between UNT and SMU would be filled.