PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Ga. Southern vs. Colorado St.

GSU Eagle
January 24th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Heard that we may have finally completed our schedule for 2007. We have the 7 SoCon games plus home vs. West Georgia and South Dakota St. Away OCC games vs. Coastal Carolina and Colorado St.

The Colorado St. is the last weekend of the season before the 1st week of the playoffs.

PaladinFan
January 24th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Sounds like Hatcher will have his hands full first year through.

Laserlips
January 24th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Sounds like Hatcher will have his hands full first year through.

You know what's so funny?

I think 99.9% of the GSU fans "feel" that getting Coach Hatcher to replace Brian Van Gorder is more than just a coaching change.. The whole attitude surrounding the football program has changed, and all for the better.. GSU football is fun again, and win, lose, or draw next season we are gonna see some exciting football in Paulson Stadium.

Coach Hatcher is a breath of fresh air, he is precisely what the GSU football program needed, and we are darn lucky to get him. I honestly believe that he will indeed turn the GSU program around and do it much quicker than most folks think possible.

Brian Van Gorder is probably a good defensive coach.. He absolutely was a fish out of water when it came to the skills necessary in a head coach. It takes more than a large EGO to be a good head coach, and sadly that's about all BVG had to offer.

I'm excited about GSU football the upcoming season, and in the seasons to come under our new Coach Hatcher... I'm not saying we will whip everybody's butts we play, but I'll bet you you will see a different GSU football team this year, with a different attitude and if you whip our Eagles you'll have to bring your lunch.

As Coach Hatcher says, "who says you can't win 'em all? Somebody has to, and it might as well be the little Hatchman's team". That statement is 180 degrees different from our Greyhound gone ex-coaches attitude.

The old adage about "when you're on bottom, there's no place to go but up" is just about the sentiment most of us feel about the GSU program. BVG came in dismantled a good football program, realized he was way in over his head, skillwise, and took the first think smokin' out of the boro'.

The day BVG waved goodbye to GSU football and his feeble attempt at being a head coach everyone was a winner.. :hurray: :hurray:

Coach Hatcher, IMO, is bringing GSU the football program back to its roots, and thank goodness for it..

Come on football season!

J. Pomeroy

proasu89
January 24th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Glad yall are excited down there. Good luck, but not too much.

PaladinFan
January 24th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I was thinking about this in the car this afternoon. Say GSU hires Chris Hatcher last year, is there still the call to arms about abandoning the option?

I expect GSU to have a great rebound season. Our date down there, with all respect to App, scares me more than any game on our schedule. We don't play well in Paulson (or we play well, but not well enough).

Good to hear there is life back in fan's after last season. I would not be relishing a visit to Colorado in November though.

Kill'em
January 25th, 2007, 07:37 AM
I was thinking about this in the car this afternoon. Say GSU hires Chris Hatcher last year, is there still the call to arms about abandoning the option?

I expect GSU to have a great rebound season. Our date down there, with all respect to App, scares me more than any game on our schedule. We don't play well in Paulson (or we play well, but not well enough).

Good to hear there is life back in fan's after last season. I would not be relishing a visit to Colorado in November though.
Good question. Hatcher stated in the press conference that he designs his offense based on the skills of the players. Since we weren't much of a passing team before, I doubt he would have made us a serious air-attack right away. None of us knows what the offense will look like. I don't think he knows for sure, yet. We'll probably know more after spring practice, after he has a chance to evaluate the players. Whatever it will be, it has to be better than last year's "prevent offense." I'm really stoked for September!

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

89Hen
January 25th, 2007, 07:55 AM
The Colorado St. is the last weekend of the season before the 1st week of the playoffs.
An intersting match-up, especially that late in the season. The AFA has had some luck against CSU, maybe GSU will be able to run the option against them.

blueballs
January 25th, 2007, 09:35 AM
As a GSU fan/booster I'm scratching my head over this one.

Are we that hard up for a 1-A game that we have to fly across two time zones the week after playing Wofford and Furman back to back and the week immediately preceding the playoffs?

If we are lucky enough to actually make the playoffs after that stretch I'm wondering if there'll be anything left in the tank, especially if we draw a road game the first round.

This game should have been made for September if at all.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 25th, 2007, 09:47 AM
As a GSU fan/booster I'm scratching my head over this one.

Are we that hard up for a 1-A game that we have to fly across two time zones the week after playing Wofford and Furman back to back and the week immediately preceding the playoffs?

If we are lucky enough to actually make the playoffs after that stretch I'm wondering if there'll be anything left in the tank, especially if we draw a road game the first round.

This game should have been made for September if at all.

Georgia Southern fans are so cute, expecting playoffs after a 3-8 season with a new head coach. xlolx

Baldy
January 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Georgia Southern fans are so cute, expecting playoffs after a 3-8 season with a new head coach. xlolx
Expecting playoffs? :nono:
What part of, "If we are lucky enough to actually make the playoffs.....", did you not understand? :eyebrow:

GannonFan
January 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Very odd choice to play a cross country IA game that late in the year. Plus, Fort Collins will be pretty cold at that time of year, and you play at elevation (it's about 5000 ft above sea level). Could be a tough one to play after getting through a whole regular season. Odd choice indeed.

lizrdgizrd
January 25th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Very odd choice to play a cross country IA game that late in the year. Plus, Fort Collins will be pretty cold at that time of year, and you play at elevation (it's about 5000 ft above sea level). Could be a tough one to play after getting through a whole regular season. Odd choice indeed.
You gotta take the games you can get. :o

NE MT GRIZZ
January 25th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Great opportunity. CSU is very beatable.
Terrible time of year.
What is the payout?

89Hen
January 25th, 2007, 10:22 AM
we have to fly across two time zones the week after playing Wofford and Furman back to back and the week immediately preceding the playoffs?

I've never quite understood these arguments. One, you're talking about 18-22 year old kids. They're pretty resiliant. Two, is a two and a half hour plane ride to Colorado somehow more draining than a six hour bus ride to Boone? :eyebrow:

GannonFan
January 25th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I've never quite understood these arguments. One, you're talking about 18-22 year old kids. They're pretty resiliant. Two, is a two and a half hour plane ride to Colorado somehow more draining than a six hour bus ride to Boone? :eyebrow:

Maybe the bus ride to Boone is nice because of all the pretty foliage? ;)

OL FU
January 25th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Sounds great. GSU has rarely played I-A's. Might as well let the kids and the fans see the Rockies when you do.

blueballs
January 25th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Absolutely I expect us to get to the playoffs and I expect to win every game. I'm quite sorry that perhaps your football history has dampened your expectations of your team. I've never played a game personally or had my team take the field where I didn't expect to win.

Here's what Hatcher himself said last week: "I expect to win every game, somebody's got to win, it might as well be the ole Hatch man."

One other thing, a plane ride per se is no worse than a bus ride. It is the jet lag of coming back after a tough game and having a holiday that week that concerns me, especially after 3 tough games in a row of which two are on the road.

Laserlips
January 25th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Hey...

Never hurts to think positively... :thumbsup:

And if the butthole BVG were still at the helm of the GSU football program nobody would be making such statements about potentially being a playoff team this upcoming season.. Trust me.

The best thing about last season, and BVG's short visit to the 'boro, is that hey, 3-8 isn't too hard to improve on, and getting rid of BVG and his outsized EGO is a blessing of a semi-religious nature.

I honestly think the "Hatchman" is gonna do great things for the GSU football program. Whatever changes Coach Hatch deems it necessary to make to the GSU program will be will be accepted by the average GSU fan as quite frankly Coach Hatch is a WINNER, and a nice guy.. Hard sometimes to have both in the same package, but this gentleman is the real deal in my estimation.

Coach Hatch has embraced all of the traditions that come with the GSU football program (yellow busses, Eagle Creek, ect.) and we have all embraced Coach Hatch. The very things that BVG threw under the bus with his "vision" of GSU football are the things that made GSU football in the past. Some folks don't care much for the past, until their team HAS a past, then it's a different story.. I'll bet APP State folks feel the same thrill watching a Championship Flag flying in their stadium just as we do with our six.. Having six national championships in the past doesn't mean squat for the present, or generally anyone not a GSU fan, but it does represent GSU football history, and to us, it's a big deal.

I would venture to say that GSU would NEVER have come close to adding another flag to the pole at Paulson under BVG, and at some point up the road I would not be surprised at all for the Hatchman didn't do just that very thing.. Seven has a nice ring to it.

We have a struggle ahead of us. It will take time to build, re-build, whatever, the GSU football program into being the perennial playoff contender we expect to always be.. But I think Coach Hatcher is gonna do great things at GSU, and I hope to be right there in the stands yelling for our Eagles while it happens.:hurray:

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

89Hen
January 25th, 2007, 01:16 PM
It is the jet lag of coming back
No offense bb, but if you get jet lag from a two hour time difference in which you only spent two days in the other time zone... :eyebrow:

blueballs
January 25th, 2007, 01:48 PM
No offense bb, but if you get jet lag from a two hour time difference in which you only spent two days in the other time zone... :eyebrow:

I played a ton of softball tournaments out west and really struggled getting to work on Mondays afterward nearly every time and it also seemed like it took an extra day to get the soreness out and get my legs back.

Trust me, it isn't just that trip that concerns me. It is the cumulative effect of that trip, coming after those two rough conference games, with a holiday thrown in, and having a short week followed by a potential playoff game that could be another roadie, that concerns me. If we draw a road game after that gauntlet in the playoffs I'm not sure if the team would be in a position to play its best ball. It would be tough enough if it were a home game.

Here's another question... hypothetically... let's say GSU is 8-2 or even 7-3with a win in Boone and a win at Wofford and loses the last game at CSU. Do they get an invite???

If you're trying to get what may well be an at large berth does having a loss in the last game affect it- even if it is a 1-A???

Personally, I like having the 1-A in September and having the bye before the playoffs, but I ain't the man making it up so what do I know?

89Hen
January 25th, 2007, 01:59 PM
hypothetically... let's say GSU is 8-2 or even 7-3with a win in Boone and a win at Wofford and loses the last game at CSU. Do they get an invite???
Yes on the first, on the fence on the second. Would take a special year, one like this past year to get in at 7-4. There are a couple more eligible teams this year that is going to make 7-4 less and less of a possibility.

NoCoDanny
January 25th, 2007, 02:26 PM
An intersting match-up, especially that late in the season. The AFA has had some luck against CSU, maybe GSU will be able to run the option against them.

Interesting logic. My take on it would be that because CSU sees the option every year as part of their rivalry game w/ Air Force there wont be any surprises and they'll have a huge advantage.

89Hen
January 25th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Interesting logic. My take on it would be that because CSU sees the option every year as part of their rivalry game w/ Air Force there wont be any surprises and they'll have a huge advantage.
I would agree if they canned AFA every time they played them. Some teams can't stop the option no matter how many times they see it.

JDC325
January 25th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I dont think GSU is going to be running the option.

GannonFan
January 25th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I would agree if they canned AFA every time they played them. Some teams can't stop the option no matter how many times they see it.

*cough* W&M *cough*

89Hen
January 25th, 2007, 03:17 PM
*cough* W&M *cough*
xlolx I actually thought about that pasting URI put on them two years ago when I made that post. :nod:

89Hen
January 25th, 2007, 03:18 PM
GSU not running an option is a weird thought.

NE MT GRIZZ
January 25th, 2007, 03:39 PM

I wish they wouldn't have ran it in 2000!:bawling:

Baldy
January 25th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Sounds great. GSU has rarely played I-A's. Might as well let the kids and the fans see the Rockies when you do.
Actually, CSU will be the first non-BCS I-A we've played in 20 years. :eek:

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 25th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Like I said in the GSU schedule thread, Paul Johnson took a 4-7 team from 1996 and took us to the quarterfinals in '97. 8-3 is very doable.

Kill'em
January 26th, 2007, 07:26 AM
You laugh, but this is what sets Georgia Southern apart from a lot of other schools. We expect to win. That's what made last season so hard to take but that is the past. There is no reason to think this will be the norm, now that BVG has left. It may not get better with The Hatchman in charge, but with his track record, I feel confident he will bring us back where we belong.

GannonFan
January 26th, 2007, 09:01 AM
You laugh, but this is what sets Georgia Southern apart from a lot of other schools. We expect to win. That's what made last season so hard to take but that is the past. There is no reason to think this will be the norm, now that BVG has left. It may not get better with The Hatchman in charge, but with his track record, I feel confident he will bring us back where we belong.

I thought what set Georgia Southern apart from other schools was their quick trigger on coaching changes? No? ;)

Laserlips
January 26th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I thought what set Georgia Southern apart from other schools was their quick trigger on coaching changes? No? ;)

That too! :D

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

PaladinFan
January 26th, 2007, 09:25 AM

I agree. The Eagles DID go 3-8, but look at the scores. They lost to Furman by 3, lost to National Champs ASU in overtime, lost a few forgettable games to the likes of Citadel and CCSU. As far as I know, the only team that soundly whipped them was NDSU.

I would venture to say that GSU, and I'm not going too far out on a limb here, probably has the most "athletic" team in FCS football. Speed doesn't take a day off. No, I don't see them beating Furman or App next year and they always (for some reason) struggle to beat Wofford, but they could, and probably will, have a very respectable season in 2007.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 26th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I would venture to say that GSU, and I'm not going too far out on a limb here, probably has the most "athletic" team in FCS football. Speed doesn't take a day off. No, I don't see them beating Furman or App next year and they always (for some reason) struggle to beat Wofford, but they could, and probably will, have a very respectable season in 2007.

If they don't beat Furman or App, and they lose to Colarado State, then exactly how would GSU make the playoffs? Based on their quality win over Wofford?

Can they do better than 3-8? Sure; I hope they do. But if you're saying that you expect the playoffs - or are looking at the Colorado State game as a possible momentum-killer into the playoffs - you're basically saying that you're expecting to beat Furman or App, no?

lizrdgizrd
January 26th, 2007, 10:35 AM
If they don't beat Furman or App, and they lose to Colarado State, then exactly how would GSU make the playoffs? Based on their quality win over Wofford?

Can they do better than 3-8? Sure; I hope they do. But if you're saying that you expect the playoffs - or are looking at the Colorado State game as a possible momentum-killer into the playoffs - you're basically saying that you're expecting to beat Furman or App, no?
I would think that if the situation is similar to last year an 8-3 GSU would make it into the playoffs almost on history alone.

JDC325
January 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I wish they wouldn't have ran it in 2000!:bawling:
Where you at that game?

GoldandBlack
January 26th, 2007, 02:00 PM

That's exactly the way we like it - when everyone assumes GSU will beat Wofford.

parr90
January 26th, 2007, 05:04 PM

WE will beat Furman and App. We have the talent to beat any team in AA. Talent alone doesnt win games but if we put it together, look out!

Frosty The Snowbuff
January 28th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Heard that we may have finally completed our schedule for 2007. We have the 7 SoCon games plus home vs. West Georgia and South Dakota St. Away OCC games vs. Coastal Carolina and Colorado St.

If that CSU matchup holds true.....You have an honorary Eagle for the day here....