PDA

View Full Version : SDSU's '07 schedule

89rabbit
January 24th, 2007, 05:51 PM
The SDSU Schedule has just been announced. 6 home games, all games agains FCS scholarship teams. Six of our opponents finished in the GPI top 25 this year.

AUGUST
30 at Western Illinois 6:05 p.m.
SEPTEMBER
8 at Youngstown State (Ohio) 6 p.m. ET
15 NORTHERN IOWA [Cereal Bowl] 7 p.m.
22 TEXAS STATE 7 p.m.
29 STEPHEN F. AUSTIN (Texas) [Hobo Day] 2 p.m.
[B]OCTOBER
6 at Georgia Southern TBA
20 *CAL POLY 7 p.m.
27 *at UC Davis 1 p.m. PT
NOVEMBER
3 at Central Arkansas 6 p.m.
10 *SOUTHERN UTAH 1 p.m.
17 *NORTH DAKOTA STATE 1 p.m.

Nice! xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

Freightliner
January 24th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Jacks fans....

Could you explain the tradition behind The Beef Bowl??

Couldnt find anything about on gojacks.com.

Thanks.

NorCalJack
January 24th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Ifyou are interested in the history of the Beef Bowl, read page 97 of the Media Guide. Here is the link.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/ClassLibrary/Page/Information/DataInstances/11146/Files/44397/Football_Media_Guide_06.pdf

Jacks02
January 24th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Jacks fans....

Could you explain the tradition behind The Beef Bowl??

Couldnt find anything about on gojacks.com.

Thanks.

From the SDSU Media Guide:

"South Dakota State University is home to the original Beef Bowl.

The Beef Bowl was started as SDSU's way of recognizing those individuals and firms involved in the beef industry in South Dakota.

Festivities include a pre-game barebcue with proceeds going toward scholarships in the Animal and Range Sciences Department, as well as presentation of the SDSU Friends of the Beef Industry Award. Proceeds from a live steer auction at halftime benefits the Jackrabbit Athletic Department.

Outside of Hobo Day (SDSU's Homecoming), the Beef Bowl usually ranks second for home game attendance. More than 10,000 people have attended each of the lat two Beef Bowls and five times overall.

The Beef Bowl will celebrate its 40th anniversary Oct. 7, when SDSU hosts Central Arkansas."

South Dakota relies heavily on ranching and agriculture and those industries are a very large part of the economy up here. SDSU is considered an engineering/agricultural college and has alot of research programs for both industries. There is also a Cereal Bowl held every year which is similar in raising scholarship money for the college, although that event has only been around for about 10 years.

89rabbit
January 25th, 2007, 02:20 AM
From the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070125/SPORTS0202/701250332/1002/SPORTS

Jackrabbits get home cooking in 2007
Football opponents include Northern Iowa, Youngstown St.

By Terry Vandrovec
[email protected]
Published: January 25, 2007

South Dakota State's football program got what it wanted - a six-game home schedule that includes a nearby national power.

The Jackrabbits also got a buyout check for a game that will never be played.

Montana will pay $50,000 to cancel a scheduled Sept. 15 appearance in Brookings. That date has been filled by Northern Iowa, giving the Jackrabbits six home games and an exclusively NCAA Division I Championship Subdivision (Division I-AA) slate for the 2007 season.

SDSU had only four games at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium in 2006 and has played two non-Division I teams each season since jumping to that level in 2004.

"We've pushed the fact that our fans need to get out and see this level of football," said Jacks coach John Stiegelmeier, whose 2006 club finished 7-4 and ranked 16th in the final Gridiron Power Index.

"Now they're going to have more opportunities than they ever have in Brookings." . . . (read more)

89Hen
January 25th, 2007, 08:03 AM
"Hobo Day"? :eyebrow:

89rabbit
January 25th, 2007, 08:16 AM
"Hobo Day"? :eyebrow:

Hobo Day = SDSU Homecoming - Also the "Biggest one day event (party) in the Dakotas.:beerchug:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Traditions/HoboDay/HoboDayHistory/Index.cfm

Hobo Day History
The date -- November 2, 1912.
The event -- the first Hobo Day at South Dakota State College.

In a world with so much emphasis placed on being fashionable, there occurs, one day out of the year, a time when everyone is allowed to dress in their dingiest and be proud of it.

Only the students, faculty and alumni of South Dakota State University know that this means one thing -- an annual extravaganza appropriately dubbed Hobo Day. . . . (read more)

BEAR
January 25th, 2007, 03:39 PM
"Hobo Day".....The Gulf South Conference held "hobo day" every weekend in most of the GSC conference games. :nod: xlolx

http://www.fa.mtu.edu/~dawgs/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2691&g2_serialNumber=2

A typical football game at Arkansas Tech..:rotateh: xlolx
(maybe only UCA fans will enjoy that crack)

BigApp
January 25th, 2007, 03:46 PM
do you get a free box of Trix cereal at "Cereal Day"? xlolx
http://static.flickr.com/55/117243650_04f12b2c51_o.jpg

http://i.xanga.com/Smart_Bad/cypress%20hill%20trix.jpg

http://tuppers.com/cereal/images/1999_pics/monica1.jpg

BigApp
January 25th, 2007, 03:48 PM
wait, the last one may be best suited for "Meat Day"...

NE MT GRIZZ
January 25th, 2007, 03:51 PM
7-4

Rabbit74
January 25th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Big App,

We didn't get a box of cereal at the cereal bowl, but if I remember correctly, we did get about $5,000,000 in donations from the Cereal Grains industry for research!!

89rabbit
January 25th, 2007, 06:33 PM
We also usually give the other team an L. SDSU has a .818 winning % for Cereal Bowl Games. :thumbsup:

Longnecker
January 25th, 2007, 07:08 PM
89 Rabbit et al: I would like to welcome you and all your fans to WIU. The game will be under the lights with the usual night start of 6:05. Hanson Field is a great venue for football as it is real grass and in a natural bowl. Tailgating starts 3 hours before gametime (stupid Univ rule) but the tailgate lot located at the south end of the field is a very friendly place and you should feel right at home. Your only problem will be getting to Macomb. It is an hour and half west of Peoria; an hour and half south of the Quad Cities; two hours southeast of Iowa City, and or three hours north of St.Louis - oh never mind, you can't get here from there, :)

BigApp
January 26th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Big App,

We didn't get a box of cereal at the cereal bowl, but if I remember correctly, we did get about $5,000,000 in donations from the Cereal Grains industry for research!!

That's a pretty sweet deal right there! 5 Bones is a lotta moolah.

Mountain Panther
January 26th, 2007, 08:32 PM
22 TEXAS STATE [Beef Bowl] 7 p.m.

This 3-game streak leaves me speechless......the competition and the names of the games are classic.

D-town
January 28th, 2007, 12:51 AM
89 Rabbit et al: I would like to welcome you and all your fans to WIU. The game will be under the lights with the usual night start of 6:05. Hanson Field is a great venue for football as it is real grass and in a natural bowl. Tailgating starts 3 hours before gametime (stupid Univ rule) but the tailgate lot located at the south end of the field is a very friendly place and you should feel right at home. Your only problem will be getting to Macomb. It is an hour and half west of Peoria; an hour and half south of the Quad Cities; two hours southeast of Iowa City, and or three hours north of St.Louis - oh never mind, you can't get here from there, :)

I am planning on making the trip. An old friend it teaching at WIU. I am sure I will be staying for all the pre/post game festivities. I have been there before and I hope to find it again.:smiley_wi

D-town
January 28th, 2007, 12:59 AM
22 TEXAS STATE [Beef Bowl] 7 p.m.

This 3-game streak leaves me speechless......the competition and the names of the games are classic.

Yes, we love our ag industry here. For Basketball we also have the Pork Classic (we auction off a pig at half time and a pregame BBQ) and the Lamb Bananza (auction off SDSU Lamb Pelts at halftime and Pregame BBQ). It is fun stuff that brings $$ to SDSU.

ccd494
January 28th, 2007, 03:56 PM
(we auction off a pig at half time and a pregame BBQ)

Shouldn't this be the other way around? Sell the pig before the game, eat him at the half? :eyebrow:

D-town
January 29th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Shouldn't this be the other way around? Sell the pig before the game, eat him at the half? :eyebrow:

The pig is alive when auctioned. There is a group (not sure if the still exist) that get donations called the "Ball Hogs" that try to buy the pig and keep it from being slaugtered. The sell rubber pig noises and stuff, its fun:thumbsup:

BEAR
January 29th, 2007, 07:00 AM
I'll start the bidding on that pig at $1! :hurray: I'll pay you $10 if you put an anti-razorback logo on its' side and snap a picture! :eyebrow: ...or would that be animal cruelty? :nod: xlolx

........maybe you oughta take the pig to the pregame bbq and ask him if he knows who that is spinning on the ole' roaster! xlolx

http://site.mawebcenters.com/roastapig1/_images//roasting3sm.jpg

:smiley_wi

BEAR
January 29th, 2007, 07:02 AM
The pig is alive when auctioned. There is a group (not sure if the still exist) that get donations called the "Ball Hogs" that try to buy the pig and keep it from being slaugtered. The sell rubber pig noises and stuff, its fun:thumbsup:

Rubber pig noises??? huh??