View Full Version : Dartmouth v. Princeton at Yankee Stadium

Go Green
March 31st, 2017, 10:35 AM
http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/2017/03/breaking-news-big-green-fb-to-play-at.html

Game set for 2019.

Dartmouth already playing Brown at Fenway Park this November.

PAllen
March 31st, 2017, 01:08 PM
Everybody's trying to be like Lehigh/Lafayette.

citdog
March 31st, 2017, 02:11 PM
The ivy league is irrelevant.

Go Green
March 31st, 2017, 02:43 PM
The ivy league is irrelevant.

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/Record_14_-IvyFootball_Alums_Appear_on_NFL_Active_Rosters

I think the number will be higher this fall.

Go...gate
March 31st, 2017, 08:56 PM
It will be a good matchup, though Rutgers - Princeton would be more reflective of the 150th anniversary of College Football.

ASU33
April 1st, 2017, 08:54 AM
http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/2017/03/breaking-news-big-green-fb-to-play-at.html

Game set for 2019.

Dartmouth already playing Brown at Fenway Park this November.

nice!

Ivytalk
April 1st, 2017, 10:10 AM
What's the o/u on attendance for that one? I'll guess about 30K, including press and curiosity-seekers.

kdinva
April 1st, 2017, 11:49 AM
It will be a good matchup, though Rutgers - Princeton would be more reflective of the 150th anniversary of College Football.

xnodx xbowx

Go Green
April 1st, 2017, 12:28 PM

This guy agrees.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/3/31/15141634/rutgers-princeton-150th-anniversary-of-the-1st-ever-football-game

CFBfan
April 1st, 2017, 03:43 PM
What's the o/u on attendance for that one? I'll guess about 30K, including press and curiosity-seekers.

Tigers & Yale, Tigers and Crimson would attract a nice crowd but Tigers & Dartmouth,,,,not so sure

bulldog10jw
April 1st, 2017, 04:33 PM
Why?

Son of Eli
April 1st, 2017, 04:42 PM

When is is the last time a Princeton- Dartmouth game drew half that? My prediction is 20k tops. That's assuming two good teams both in contention for the title and nice weather. Otherwise more like 10k.

Go Green
April 1st, 2017, 05:55 PM
When is is the last time a Princeton- Dartmouth game drew half that? .

The game was drawing crowds of 20K at least in Princeton for most of the 1990s.

Go Green
April 1st, 2017, 05:59 PM
Why?

If you're asking why the game was scheduled to play at Yankee Stadium, sentiment seems to be that Princeton wanted to do something special to commemorate the 150th anniversary of college football, and Dartmouth matched up convenience wise on the schedule.

That, and this could be Princeton's way of saying "we're sorry--no hard feelings?" to Dartmouth for ending the season-ending series.

Son of Eli
April 1st, 2017, 06:54 PM

I hate to say this but most of those people in attendance have either passed away or are too old to attend games anymore. Such is the state of Ivy League football. More the reason for Princeton to play Rutgers in order to get much needed national media attention back on Ivy League football.

Go...gate
April 1st, 2017, 09:56 PM
If you're asking why the game was scheduled to play at Yankee Stadium, sentiment seems to be that Princeton wanted to do something special to commemorate the 150th anniversary of college football, and Dartmouth matched up convenience wise on the schedule.

That, and this could be Princeton's way of saying "we're sorry--no hard feelings?" to Dartmouth for ending the season-ending series.

Wasn't that more of a league decision? Why does Princeton owe Dartmouth an apology?

Go...gate
April 2nd, 2017, 01:49 AM

And that really was a long time ago. The 1992 game was for the Ivy League Championship and drew very well (over 27,000, IIRC). The 1996 game was the last game in Palmer Stadium history but could barely draw 16,000. At least one of the games between 1998-1999 was held at the new Princeton Stadium, which had mostly sell-outs in both years but mostly for curiosity over the ballpark. Since then, attendance has declined a great deal.

Go Green
April 2nd, 2017, 06:39 AM
Wasn't that more of a league decision? Why does Princeton owe Dartmouth an apology?

Most agree that Princeton was the driving force on the "league decision" to change the schedule.

At a minimum, if they were against the change, it wouldn't have happened.

CFBfan
April 2nd, 2017, 08:08 AM

that's decades ago! dartmouth is not a draw in the bronx

Go Green
April 2nd, 2017, 07:33 PM
dartmouth is not a draw in the bronx

Well, excuse us for not turning it down.

:)

Go...gate
April 3rd, 2017, 01:55 AM
Most agree that Princeton was the driving force on the "league decision" to change the schedule.

At a minimum, if they were against the change, it wouldn't have happened.

I don't know who "most agree" is defined as....

CFBfan
April 3rd, 2017, 06:29 AM
Well, excuse us for not turning it down.

:)
you're the guy spouting off about crowds of 20,000 plus THREE decades ago so excuse me for calling you out on it

Go Green
April 3rd, 2017, 06:36 AM
you're the guy spouting off about crowds of 20,000 plus THREE decades ago so excuse me for calling you out on it

I was responding to an inquiry from another poster who asked when was the last time D-P drew good crowds. Next time I'll let questions go unanswered so not to offend you.

Should also mention that Go... gate's suggestion that there were some extenuating circumstances in that decade that might have contributed to larger crowds is certainly accurate. But the crowds were what they were.

Go Green
April 3rd, 2017, 06:38 AM
I don't know who "most agree" is defined as....

When it was discussed on the Ivy board, people either agreed Princeton was the culprit, or at least didn't dispute the point. And believe me, we have people on that Board who are not hesitant to express disagreement.

In any event, if you have different ideas about how the change came about, I'd love to hear them. The Ivy, like many other leagues, is a conference where some schools have more clout than others. Nobody would have cared if Brown was pounding the table demanding that the schedule be switched to get out of its season-ending series with Columbia.

Go...gate
April 3rd, 2017, 08:12 PM
When it was discussed on the Ivy board, people either agreed Princeton was the culprit, or at least didn't dispute the point. And believe me, we have people on that Board who are not hesitant to express disagreement.

In any event, if you have different ideas about how the change came about, I'd love to hear them. The Ivy, like many other leagues, is a conference where some schools have more clout than others. Nobody would have cared if Brown was pounding the table demanding that the schedule be switched to get out of its season-ending series with Columbia.

I know I'm going to offend the Pennsylvania supporters on this page, but in football, among the alumni and Princeton faculty and administrators I have known down here since the early 1960's, there seems little question that Princeton values the Dartmouth rivalry far more than that with Penn.

There is far more history and significance in the PU - DC football rivalry than that which surrounds PU and Penn (save (a) the 1947 17-14 Tiger upset of an undefeated Quaker eleven and (b) the Quakers' 14-7 win over an undefeated Tiger squad in 1952, ending a PU winning streak which had begun in 1949).

In addition, a lot of DC alums live in New Jersey and the NYC metro area and they travel to Princeton for the game with friends and family, so attendance is good (by present Ivy standards).

Go...gate
April 3rd, 2017, 08:19 PM
I will say that Princeton athletics seems to be doing some strange things lately.

For example, men's basketball start timer are all over the place, even when TV is not a factor. Friday - Saturday 7:30 pm games are now 6:00 both nights - not very conducive to the attendance of non-student spectators.

DFW HOYA
April 3rd, 2017, 08:21 PM
No team is going to schedule a game in Yankee Stadium without planning for turnout. If Fordham can draw 21,375 vs. Holy Cross, surely the Tigers and Indians can match that.

https://collectableivy.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/princeton-dartmouth-1965.jpg

Go...gate
April 4th, 2017, 12:38 AM
No team is going to schedule a game in Yankee Stadium without planning for turnout. If Fordham can draw 21,375 vs. Holy Cross, surely the Tigers and Indians can match that.

I attended this game. An absolute sellout (45,725). Dartmouth won, 28-14.

And I hope you are correct, DFW HOYA. The two schools have played some truly outstanding games over the years.

Go Green
April 4th, 2017, 06:28 AM

I'll be there with my family. Will try to round up as many NYC-area friends as I can.

I think the Dartmouth-Brown game at Fenway in November should be a good barometer of what we can expect at Yankee Stadium in 2019.

Go Green
April 4th, 2017, 06:37 AM
I know I'm going to offend the Pennsylvania supporters on this page, but in football, among the alumni and Princeton faculty and administrators I have known down here since the early 1960's, there seems little question that Princeton values the Dartmouth rivalry far more than that with Penn.

There is far more history and significance in the PU - DC football rivalry than that which surrounds PU and Penn (save (a) the 1947 17-14 Tiger upset of an undefeated Quaker eleven and (b) the Quakers' 14-7 win over an undefeated Tiger squad in 1952, ending a PU winning streak which had begun in 1949).

In addition, a lot of DC alums live in New Jersey and the NYC metro area and they travel to Princeton for the game with friends and family, so attendance is good (by present Ivy standards).

I agree with all of this and have made these points on the Ivy Board. But this is the way I think it went down.

1) Current Princeton Coach Bob Surace plays for the Tigers in the late 1980s. Dartmouth sucks then. Penn is the league power.

2) The Ivy mandates that Dartmouth-Princeton close every year in the early 1990s. At the time, Dartmouth and Princeton are both the league powers, so both teams liked it. All is well for most of the decade.

3) Dartmouth falls on hard times in the late 1990s. Princeton hires former Dartmouth assistant Roger Hughes to be the head coach. Hughes likes Dartmouth a lot and maintains the season-ending rivalry (and he wins most of them). In the meantime, Penn is a league power.

4) Surace takes over in 2010. Dartmouth gets back on its feet.

5) Surace makes several comments over the years to the extent that he doesn't consider the Dartmouth game anything special and treats Dartmouth as any other league opponent. At least for part of that reason, Dartmouth goes on a winning streak against Princeton.

6) Surace takes an undefeated Princeton team to Hanover in 2014 with a new record-setting razzle dazzle offense hoping to clinch Princeton's first outright title in decades. Dartmouth takes an early lead, and a heavy New Hampshire blizzard snuffs out any chance Princeton has to come back.

7) A few months later, the league announces that Princeton and Penn will be closing and Dartmouth stuck with Brown.

Now, I wasn't in the room at the time the decision was made. But putting all the dots together, its hard not to believe that Princeton (Surace) was the driving force behind the change to the schedule. Former Princeton coaches Tosches and Hughes liked closing against Dartmouth. It appears that Surace thinks the Penn game is a bigger deal for Princeton. The change would not have happened if Princeton wasn't on board with it. So they got the votes to make it happen (Harvard and Yale probably didn't give a ---- either way, but likely voted to do whatever Princeton wanted).

So... here we are.

Go...gate
April 5th, 2017, 02:02 AM
I almost forgot the famous PU - DC "12th man" game in 1935 and the PU - DC "Hurricane Game" in 1950. Just so much history to the rivalry. Both teams have also derailed a few championship seasons for the other. Not to mention that the game has often decided the Ivy League or Eastern championship (Lambert Trophy).

Go Green
April 5th, 2017, 07:29 AM
I almost forgot the famous PU - DC "12th man" game in 1935 and the PU - DC "Hurricane Game" in 1950. Just so much history to the rivalry. Both teams have also derailed a few championship seasons for the other. Not to mention that the game has often decided the Ivy League or Eastern championship (Lambert Trophy).

Some good recent games as well.

Remember the "kick six" of Alabama-Auburn a few years ago? Princeton did it against Dartmouth in 2005.

Remember Pat Dye's decision to safely kick an extra point for a tie on the last play rather than a win against Syracuse in the Cotton Bowl? Princeton did pretty much the same thing (a FG on the one-yard line) against Dartmouth in 1995.

Remember when that team lined up for a field goal that would have tied the game late in the fourth quarter, saw it blocked, and a lineman picked it up and ran it 25 yards for the go-ahead touchdown? Actually.... I don't think that's ever happened except when Princeton did it against Dartmouth in 2004.

Oh well...

jimbo65
April 6th, 2017, 11:52 AM
I attended the Fordham, Holy Cross Game at YS. The crowd was substantial and appeared even more so since the upper deck was closed. We all had a great game day experience, terrific seats (though at $85 a pop), copious food & drink (also expensive). The staff, caterers etc. were all super polite and a vivid police presence was around the stadium pre & post game. Suggest you make every effort to attend. Fordham has a huge alum presence in the metro area and the stadium is accessible via public transportation from the BX & Manhattan campuses. HC I don't know the size of their alum base in the area. If Princeton & Dartmouth have a fairly substantial presence in the metro area you should be fine. IMO the game will not attract casual observers but you never know. After the game there is the Arthur Avenue section of the BX (think Dion & the Belmonts) with many fine restaurants. Suggest you consider Pasquale Rigoletto which has an attended parking lot behind the restaurant. Best of luck.

Son of Eli
April 8th, 2017, 04:07 AM
Remember when that team lined up for a field goal that would have tied the game late in the fourth quarter, saw it blocked, and a lineman picked it up and ran it 25 yards for the go-ahead touchdown? Actually.... I don't think that's ever happened except when Princeton did it against Dartmouth in 2004.

Oh well...

It happened on an extra point in the 1999 Yale-Brown game. Brown was going for an extra point to tie at the end of the game and Yale blocked it. Brown picked it up and scored a two point conversion to win the game. It was Yale's only loss that year.

bulldog10jw
April 9th, 2017, 08:53 PM
It happened on an extra point in the 1999 Yale-Brown game. Brown was going for an extra point to tie at the end of the game and Yale blocked it. Brown picked it up and scored a two point conversion to win the game. It was Yale's only loss that year.

Yale has found many ways to avoid an undefeated season since 1960. This may have been the strangest.