PDA

View Full Version : MO State hires offensive coordinator from UL-Lafayette

douglasdmb
January 23rd, 2007, 11:06 PM
New OC served as head of the 11th best rushing offense in all of I-A last season.

Things are lookin better every day for Bears football...

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070123/SPORTS0401/701230386/1096

Christophel joins Bears' football staff

Terry Allen gets new offensive coordinator from Division I-A's Louisiana-Lafayette.

by Lyndal Scranton
Tuesday, January 23, 2007

New Missouri State football offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Rob Christophel has an interesting take when asked his offensive philosophy.

"I like to make the defense do what it's supposed to do," Christophel said. "I want them to know the field is 52 yards wide and 120 yards long, when you include the end zones."

Or, put more simply, "spread them out."

Christophel, saying he prefers a one-back set and putting the football in the air, has spent the last five seasons as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Division I-A Louisiana-Lafayette. His offenses there led the Sun Belt Conference in nine offensive categories in 2005 and were second in total offense last season.

Christophel replaces Steve Brickey on Terry Allen's staff at Missouri State. Brickey left after last season to become offensive coordinator at Samford.

Allen called Christophel "a perfect fit for us for what we want to do.

"His offensive beliefs are very similar to mine. We'll see a little more of Rob's wrinkles in our offense. I think you might see the ball in the air a little more."

Not that the Bears will become a one-dimensional, pass-only team.

Christophel said the offense will feature multiple looks, with a proper mix of run and pass.

"In today's game I think you have to be able to both run the football and throw it to be successful," he said.

Prior to his time at Louisiana-Lafayette, Christophel was offensive coordinator from 1997-2002 at Lambuth University, an NAIA school in Jackson, Tenn. He also spent time coaching offense in I-AA at Idaho State and Murray State.

Christophel said the Missouri State job appealed to him because of the potential. He said he was "amazed" at how good the facilities were when he came to interview for the job.

"Many years ago when I started out at Murray State we played (at Missouri State) and I always had been kind of interested in the direction the program was going," he said. "They had some good years.

"When I spoke to coach Allen upon learning the job was open, and knowing what he's done with programs in the past, I thought this was a great opportunity."

Christophel will have a chance to mold the offense from the ground up. Only four starters return from an offense that averaged 17.2 points, next-to-last in the Gateway Conference.

"I haven't had a chance to study our (returning) personnel yet," Christophel said, "but I'm looking forward to getting started.

"I want to be part of helping build this program into a Gateway Conference champion and a I-AA playoff contender."