PDA

View Full Version : 2017 (Way Too Early) Missouri Valley Football Conference Predictions

youcanbankit
March 4th, 2017, 01:48 PM
School

Conf. Wins

Conf. Losses

NDSU

Youngstown State

SDSU

Illinois State

UNI

South Dakota

Western Illinois

Indiana State

Missouri State

Southern Illinois

BisonTru
March 4th, 2017, 02:17 PM
SDSU isn't losing two games with Taryn, Jake, and Dallas.

Sent from the John using TapaTalk

Thumper 76
March 4th, 2017, 02:19 PM
I'm assuming you got YSU beating SDSU. SDSU has OWNED the guins at the ice castle in recent years and Stig has always done pretty well against Bo coached teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
March 4th, 2017, 02:20 PM
Also, who do u have NDSU losing to

youcanbankit
March 4th, 2017, 02:21 PM
SDSU isn't losing two games with Taryn, Jake, and Dallas.

You think they are 7-1? Lost 19 seniors....

youcanbankit
March 4th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Also, who do u have NDSU losing to

It will be an upset victory, probably on the road. You have SDSU, Youngstown, Eastern Washington away. With a little break here and there, and some home field advantage, my pick is one of those three.

BisonTru
March 4th, 2017, 02:25 PM

They are returning three maybe four first team all conference players on offense.

Their defense is going to have to give up a lot of points to lose games.

BisonTru
March 4th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Btw I love that folks think Thumps is a Bison fan. 👍

Thumper 76
March 4th, 2017, 02:28 PM

xlolx they return something like 17 starters overall. The entire o line is back besides a part time OT. They lost the #3 WR. Other than that one of the best offenses in the country is entirely intact. On defense they lost a little more but nothing that's going to torpedo them by a long shot. It's pretty easy to argue that SDSU returns the most from last year in the MVFC.

Thumper 76
March 4th, 2017, 02:28 PM
Btw I love that folks think Thumps is a Bison fan. 👍

Finally got to change my damn avatar back. You can thank IBY for that one. ****.

Thumper 76
March 4th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Also, I remember correctly YSU loses a decent number of guys from last years team. I don't see them repeating their run from last year. I would actually drop them below ISUr, who seems to be repeating the pattern they did before they went to the natty last time. Not saying they will be that level of good, but I bet they'll be better than last year.

*this is all with it being pre spring games and me not having really delved deep into this **** again xlolx

BisonFan02
March 4th, 2017, 02:43 PM
SDSU will lose to someone they shouldn't.

Bucs2016
March 4th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Brutal league. Still NDSUs to lose.

Thumper 76
March 4th, 2017, 05:28 PM

Probably

TheKingpin28
March 4th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Probably

yep

GodHelpTheBears
March 4th, 2017, 10:46 PM
I hate my alma mater.

They aren't getting a single cent from me until leadership, from the President to the Board of Governors to the athletic director are removed. Every single one of them. They are killing Missouri State.

ValleyTalk
March 5th, 2017, 06:35 AM
In Bo and Hunter we trust...

YSU has a very favorable home schedule this year... ILSU, SDSU (prime time), and NDSU (prime time). Hopefully the fairweather bandwagon fans of Youngstown show up this year now that we have a contender again.....

dewey
March 5th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Finally got to change my damn avatar back. You can thank IBY for that one. ****.

Personally I liked the avatar that IBY had for you betterxlolx

It is funny how everyone assumed you were a NDSU fan.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
March 5th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Personally I liked the avatar that IBY had for you betterxlolx

It is funny how everyone assumed you were a NDSU fan.

Dewey

It's all that tailgating I tell you.

POD Knows
March 5th, 2017, 11:21 AM
School

Conf. Wins

Conf. Losses

SDSU

Youngstown State

NDSU

Illinois State

UNI

South Dakota

Western Illinois

Indiana State

Missouri State

Southern Illinois

Book it

ytownchief22
March 5th, 2017, 12:13 PM
YSU lost some talented seniors, especially on the defensive side of the ball and at RB. But have talent waiting in the wings.

BisonTru
March 5th, 2017, 06:57 PM
There are 4 returning first team all-conference offensive players. All four are Jackrabbits.

There are 6 returning first team all-conference defensive players. Three are Bison.

The story going into next year is NDSU's D vs. SDSU's O, IMO.

Illinois State, Youngstown, UNI, and Western will be in the mix, but at this point they are battling for the 3, 4, and maybe 5th playoff spot. Again in my way early opinion.

Edit: I'm looking at some rosters and starts from last year. SDSU is losing one offense lineman and a part time WR from their offense. That's it.

Thumper 76
March 5th, 2017, 09:19 PM
There are 4 returning first team all-conference offensive players. All four are Jackrabbits.

There are 6 returning first team all-conference defensive players. Three are Bison.

The story going into next year is NDSU's D vs. SDSU's O, IMO.

Illinois State, Youngstown, UNI, and Western will be in the mix, but at this point they are battling for the 3, 4, and maybe 5th playoff spot. Again in my way early opinion.

Edit: I'm looking at some rosters and starts from last year. SDSU is losing one offense lineman and a part time WR from their offense. That's it.

The o lineman was doing part time duties with a freshman at the end of the year around 50/50 split.

To add to your point above, three of SDSUs all conference returners were pretty damn high on the Peyton Award voting and NDSU returns your lb from injury who would have been a Buchanan award finalist. Those are going to be two nasty units.

ST_Lawson
March 6th, 2017, 08:24 AM

https://i.imgur.com/CjqkXtq.jpg

Professor Chaos
March 6th, 2017, 08:57 AM

Did you look up how many seniors the YSU team lost that you predict going 7-1?

Btw, we're 25 posts in and no mention of the official MVFC offseason thread sponsor?

Hopefully the high ups at Casey's General Store HQ don't hear about this. They might enlist TheFan to freeze some assets of those responsible.

Thumper 76
March 6th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Did you look up how many seniors the YSU team lost that you predict going 7-1?

Btw, we're 25 posts in and no mention of the official MVFC offseason thread sponsor?

Hopefully the high ups at Casey's General Store HQ don't hear about this. They might enlist TheFan to freeze some assets of those responsible.

Let's hope they are lenient due to it being started by a new SoCon poster.

clenz
March 6th, 2017, 10:11 AM
That's because we've already had an official MVFC 2017 off and in season thread going for a while.

Also, UNI won't even win 3 conference games this year. Book it.

POD Knows
March 6th, 2017, 10:12 AM
That's because we've already had an official MVFC 2017 off and in season thread going for a while.

Also, UNI won't even win 3 conference games this year. Book it.

So, are they going to win 6?

clenz
March 6th, 2017, 10:19 AM
So, are they going to win 6?
They won't get to three. We will be lucky to get to 4 total wins.

We have 2 offensive coaches on staff and 3 defensive coaches. That's it. We don't have a coaching staff. We sure as hell aren't going to have a team worth a damn

POD Knows
March 6th, 2017, 10:49 AM
They won't get to three. We will be lucky to get to 4 total wins.

We have 2 offensive coaches on staff and 3 defensive coaches. That's it. We don't have a coaching staff. We sure as hell aren't going to have a team worth a damn

LOL, OK, I see where you went.

GodHelpTheBears
March 6th, 2017, 07:56 PM
We'll get pumped up the pooper just like every year.

Our athletics are an embarrassment. It's like I told my sister a couple of months ago, it may not be ideal, but athletics are the front yard of a university, and when you throw appliances on to it and let the weeds grow up to people's waists, it makes you look like you don't give a damn about anything. It conveys a complete lack of standards, and people will project that onto the rest of what you do.

Thumper 76
March 6th, 2017, 08:12 PM
We'll get pumped up the pooper just like every year.

Our athletics are an embarrassment. It's like I told my sister a couple of months ago, it may not be ideal, but athletics are the front yard of a university, and when you throw appliances on to it and let the weeds grow up to people's waists, it makes you look like you don't give a damn about anything. It conveys a complete lack of standards, and people will project that onto the rest of what you do.

I honestly think your coach is pretty decent.

IBleedYellow
March 6th, 2017, 08:59 PM
NDSU loses one game... At home.

As is tradition.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

GodHelpTheBears
March 6th, 2017, 09:45 PM
I honestly think your coach is pretty decent.

I agree with you, but for a coach to succeed at a football graveyard, they need to be better than decent.

At least he got a bump in recruiting travel funds so his staff can recruit Texas the way he wanted to. Ours is realistically a two-cycle rebuild, but he'll only get through 2019 because of our state budget situation. I hoped we could do this right, with a dedicated indoor practice facility and a budget cushion so he wouldn't have to take multiple buy games like in '15...but we'll never offer the ideal situation.

We've been so bad for so long that I think we're stuck with veteran D-II head coaches or P-5 assistants with no HC experience as our hiring pool. I can't imagine a young coach putting his career at risk by coming here.

Thumper 76
March 6th, 2017, 10:00 PM
I agree with you, but for a coach to succeed at a football graveyard, they need to be better than decent.

At least he got a bump in recruiting travel funds so his staff can recruit Texas the way he wanted to. Ours is realistically a two-cycle rebuild, but he'll only get through 2019 because of our state budget situation. I hoped we could do this right, with a dedicated indoor practice facility and a budget cushion so he wouldn't have to take multiple buy games like in '15...but we'll never offer the ideal situation.

We've been so bad for so long that I think we're stuck with veteran D-II head coaches or P-5 assistants with no HC experience as our hiring pool. I can't imagine a young coach putting his career at risk by coming here.

Y'all got a lot more going for you than the trees do. If they can make the playoffs so can you.

GodHelpTheBears
March 6th, 2017, 10:06 PM
Y'all got a lot more going for you than the trees do. If they can make the playoffs so can you.

I bet it looks easier from the outside. Two of the Gateway's best head coaches couldn't crack the code.

dewey
March 7th, 2017, 12:48 PM
NDSU loses one game... At home.

As is tradition.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Can this be the tradition where the season ends with another National Championship in Friscoxdrunkyx

Dewey

Thumper 76
March 7th, 2017, 02:02 PM
I bet it looks easier from the outside. Two of the Gateway's best head coaches couldn't crack the code.

Hey, I hear ya from that standpoint. I just look at your facilities and your location and have to think you certainly have advantages over some of the Valley schools. Plus being in Missouri instead of the frozen flatlands should be an advantage for recruiting. Obviously easy for me to say, but there is a route for Misery St to success there somewhere. It's just tougher when you're in the MVFC. I saw a lot better Bears team this year than they were a year ago.

GodHelpTheBears
March 7th, 2017, 07:31 PM
Hey, I hear ya from that standpoint. I just look at your facilities and your location and have to think you certainly have advantages over some of the Valley schools. Plus being in Missouri instead of the frozen flatlands should be an advantage for recruiting. Obviously easy for me to say, but there is a route for Misery St to success there somewhere. It's just tougher when you're in the MVFC. I saw a lot better Bears team this year than they were a year ago.

We were ten miles away from the X on the map instead of thirty...but yeah, we improved.

I don't see us getting back to 4-7. This year's non-con is tougher, we'll put a new starting QB out there behind a green offensive line and Dylan Cole graduated. We have good pieces, but you have to build from the lines out in this conference more than most, and other than Colby Isbell on the defensive side, we just aren't there right now.

We might be better overall but I highly doubt our record shows it.

Yote 53
March 15th, 2017, 09:54 AM
USD was 3-5 in conference last year with many close losses. Yotes figure out how to win those close ones this year and improve to at least 5-3 in conference this season. I'm thinking 5-3 in conference, 2-1 OOC, 7-4 overall.

POD Knows
March 15th, 2017, 10:40 AM
We were ten miles away from the X on the map instead of thirty...but yeah, we improved.

I don't see us getting back to 4-7. This year's non-con is tougher, we'll put a new starting QB out there behind a green offensive line and Dylan Cole graduated. We have good pieces, but you have to build from the lines out in this conference more than most, and other than Colby Isbell on the defensive side, we just aren't there right now.

We might be better overall but I highly doubt our record shows it.

Hell, just two short years ago, you beat the current BSC FB co-champs by 38, you have going for you, which is nice.

Thumper 76
March 15th, 2017, 01:24 PM
USD was 3-5 in conference last year with many close losses. Yotes figure out how to win those close ones this year and improve to at least 5-3 in conference this season. I'm thinking 5-3 in conference, 2-1 OOC, 7-4 overall.

Very plausible, but looking at the Yotes schedule I would lean more towards a 4-4 record with who you have at home vs on the road. You could be a better team and end up with the same record as last year with how the schedule sets up. That last 3 game stretch in particular could be brutal as hell playing @UNI, @NDSU, then SDSU. Plus playing at ISUr and WIU that's not an easy schedule by a long shot. I personally give you guys a better shot at beating Bowling Green than going 5-3 in conference the more I think about it. If I was betting I would go with 6-5 or 5-6 for the yotes. Not a huge difference besides the playoffs though.

Paladin1aa
March 15th, 2017, 01:31 PM
YSU drops next season. Lose too many top players. They have one more season with Wolfs last class and then reality sets in. I'd rate SDS and NDS at the top. ILS and then a toss up with YSU and UNI. However waiting to see if more top BCS transfers come in. H.S. Recruits were down again, so we will see

ST_Lawson
March 20th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Just doing a quick glance at our schedule, my best guesses at this point...

In conference:
Wins - South Dakota, Missouri State, Indiana State, Southern Illinois
Losses - Northern Iowa, North Dakota State, South Dakota State
Toss-up - Illinois State

That would put us either 5-3 or 4-4 in the conference. We have USD, MSU, and SIU all at home. SDSU is also at our place, but with the talent they have coming back, I don't see us beating them.
On the road at UNI and NDSU which will both be tough (although we've had luck against UNI at their place, and they've had some coaching problems lately, so I think we have a decent chance there). Illinois State is away, but we usually have a good crowd there since it's so close...so that's a toss-up for me.

Out of conference, we play three away games, one should be winnable (Tennessee Tech), one should be a close one (Northern Arizona), and one should be pretty tough...probably a loss (Coastal Carolina). We beat NAU by 14 last year, but that was at our place, so this time it'll be "at altitude" (almost 7k feet above sea level) and in their dome, so it could be much closer, although I still see us winning.

5-3 in conference, plus 2-1 OOC...looks like about a 7-4 record optimistically, although 6-5 or 5-6 are definitely possible if things don't swing our way in a couple of games.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 15th, 2017, 08:57 PM
My early spring top 5:

NDSU
SDSU
Ill State
WIU
YSU