PDA

View Full Version : APP facility update

tarmac
January 22nd, 2007, 01:51 PM
http://www.goasu.com/article/8501/?fSession=d7bbd169505f821eddba3a232d5314244f7fcf94

Facilities Enhancement Progress
by Appalachian Sports Information

Updated January 17, 2007 - Appalachian State University athletics' $32 million facilities enhancements are in full swing on the ASU campus.

Progress on Jim and Betty Smith Baseball Stadium, located behind the Broyhill Inn, is well underway. Construction of the walls, dugouts and outfield fences are nearing completion and light standards have been erected. The playing surface has been leveled and the installation of FieldTurf will begin shortly. The Mountaineers remain on pace to make their debut at their new home this spring.

At the site of ASU's former baseball home, Red Lackey Field, construction is also underway on the Sofield Family Indoor Practice Facility. The facility will feature an 80-yard X 60-yard artificial surface that will allow all 20 of ASU's varsity sports to practice and train during times of inclement weather.

The steel for the building has been delivered, the former outfield fence taken down and the footprint of the building has been dug out. Completion is also scheduled for this spring.

As soon as enough progress has been made on the Sofield Facility to allow for construction vehicles to vacate the playing surface, the former Red Lackey Field will be converted into the first-ever on-campus home for ASU softball. Like Mountaineer baseball, the softball Apps are expected to be able to play in their new facility this spring.

Facilities enhancement progress will be updated periodically at www.GoASU.com throughout the construction projects.

For a complete overview of ASU's athletics facilities enhancement campaign, click here.

spoogemcgee18
January 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
That's just great. Not a single mention of the Kidd Brewer enhancements. I have a feeling the '07 season is going to be a messy one with all the construction and what not.
On the plus side, the indoor facility is going to be an excellent recruiting point.

GaSouthern
January 22nd, 2007, 02:26 PM
That's just great. Not a single mention of the Kidd Brewer enhancements. I have a feeling the '07 season is going to be a messy one with all the construction and what not.
On the plus side, the indoor facility is going to be an excellent recruiting point.

Just in time for us to get there in october :(

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 22nd, 2007, 02:33 PM
:thumbsup:

BigApp
January 22nd, 2007, 03:35 PM
Just in time for us to get there in october :(

here's to an early Welcome! :D

JDC325
January 22nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Congrats to App...can we borrow your AD for a year or ten!

lizrdgizrd
January 22nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Anyone know if they're planning to finish the baseball stadium before they start on KBS? Or have they already started on KBS?

BigApp
January 22nd, 2007, 04:36 PM

Our old one is available! :cool:

appfan2008
January 22nd, 2007, 04:46 PM
Anyone know if they're planning to finish the baseball stadium before they start on KBS? Or have they already started on KBS?

... that is exactly the problem they havent begun anything on KBS... I wake up every morning from my dorm and look out the window in hopes of there being no press box and everyday I am disappointed

gvilleapp
January 22nd, 2007, 07:54 PM
I don't know about your AD, but I think you may have finally got it right as far as a head football coach. Sounds like he has great relationships with hs coaches down there to go along with a good track record. Any word if he is going to stick with the spread offense?

bobbythekidd
January 22nd, 2007, 10:25 PM
I don't know about your AD, but I think you may have finally got it right as far as a head football coach. Sounds like he has great relationships with hs coaches down there to go along with a good track record. Any word if he is going to stick with the spread offense?
He will run his own offence. He calls it the Hatch Attack. OL FU claims Furman is the master at stopping it.
His success in Div II is unmatched, I hope he is able to make it happpen again.
KBS, on the otherhand, is too small for the current fan base. If the performance drops in football the stands may well be empty. I understand your AD using the extra funds to improve the other sports venues while he can. Those seats are NEVER full. KBS will improve last, IMO. Just another way to increase donations.:twocents: