PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh Names New OC and DC for 2017

ngineer
February 3rd, 2017, 09:22 PM
Head Coach Andy Coen announced that Scott Brisson has been elevated to OC at Lehigh along with coaching the QBs. Secondary coach, Craig Sutyak has been elevated to DC. Former DC Joe Bottiglieri has been named "Linebacker Coach and Senior Advisor to the Defensive Staff". Hmmmmmm. The Brisson appointment is natural. He coached the WRs fro several years, who have excelled, and therefore knows the offense inside out. Sutyak has been impressive with the development of the secondary over the past two years. And, obviously, Coen did not want to risk losing them. The "Bott" move is finesse. Joe is close to retirement and has been coaching over 40 years. This gives him time to ease out and still provide beneficial input with all his experience. Spring practice will begin March 24, with the annual Brown & White scrimmage on April 22 in Goodman Stadium.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 4th, 2017, 01:59 AM
On the surface I like the moves!

Botts did an respectable job of improving the defense but the unit never reached the level of the one's during his first stint as DC. Part of the problem was inheriting a defense, especially DL, that was completely devoid of D1 size. Only last year did it have SOME of the pieces needed to be successful at the FCS level. Hopefully Sutyak can continue instill a more aggressive/nasty defense that's able to win the LOS on a consistent basis. Lehigh's front 7 is still on the smallish side but not so much so that it can't be a legit Top 25/30 unit.

Brisson walks into the perfect situation for a first time D1 coordinator. Lehigh's offense literally returns just about every starter (2 5th year OL and QB Mayes counts) from one of the top units in the country. He doesn't have to reinvent the wheel by in 2017. His biggest task will be transitioning the offense from duel-threat Shafnisky to the pro-style Mayes on a full time basis. The only concern I'd really have is how he'll handle situational play calling. He does have big shoes to fill though. I thought Folmar was excellent as was Cecchini who held the position from 2010-2014. If nothing else, I don't think Troy Brown could screw up next year's offense.

Lehigh has been the most successful program in the PL and the constant staff turnover reflects that. 2017 has the potential to be a real special year for the Mountain Hawks. Keeping the changes in house was the smart thing to do.

LeopardBall10
February 6th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Don't know much about Brisson, but as long as he can color by number he should be fine. The PL defenses aren't much to write home about.

I do know Sutyak and I think the DC moves was the right one for Coen. He is a great coach, both X and Os and player development. I know a lot of guys who speak very highly of him. He also already has DC experience, even if it is at the D3 level. His defenses at F&M always preformed, and his play calling style fits the Lehigh mold, in that he loves to bring pressure, and eliminates pass attempts through that pressure.

RichH2
February 6th, 2017, 09:49 AM
Excellent moves by Andy. Scott will be fine at OC. He has learned from the best in his tours at Lehigh.
Apt timing to promote Sutyak. He was likely to be a DC somewhere next year. Prefer it be at Lehigh. Classy decision to kerp Botts on as a Senior advisor on D.

Lehigh'98
February 8th, 2017, 03:02 PM
Botts will still be calling the D from what I gather.

ngineer
February 8th, 2017, 08:08 PM
I think Botts will be in the box and Sutyak on the sideline. Botts now the "recommender" with Sutyak the final call.