PDA

View Full Version : JSU finally got the message. Cutting back on transfers.

JSUSoutherner
January 17th, 2017, 11:31 AM
It seems Grass and the staff are shifting their focus more toward the high school recruits rather than taking all the transfers that come our way and taking more time developing kids for the long term rather than take transfers for the short term. We've had very good success with our high school players like Barge, Darius Jackson, and Jenkins among others and most of our leaders are the ones we picked up from the high school ranks. It seems our staff is looking for more of that and we have also seen a focus in our recruiting on big linemen. Our only transfer so far this season is BJ Autry, a 6-5 330 pounder from Baylor and we have several big high school kids on the radar. Hope we can get some of them to come in. Defintely looking forward to seeing how the program fares over the next couple years.

Also, Grass says he's sticking around. So BIG plus there.

This is a year where we're not taking a lot of transfers, so we'll turn down a lot of really good players that we could probably get, but I feel very comfortable where our roster is and how we've managed our roster of the last several years. We'll take a few transfers if we can get the right people and they are the right fit after spring training this summer. But this is a big high school recruiting year for us.

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/sports/20170115/jsus-grass-talks-recruiting-future-plans

WHUP UTC!

Bison56
January 17th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Interesting, do you think it has something to do with the last playoff game and all the BS on the field?

JSUSoutherner
January 17th, 2017, 12:40 PM
I'm sure that and the beatdown from NDSU both played a part. The YSU game was embarrassing. Not so much because of the score but because of the way some of our players decided to handle themselves.

BEAR
January 17th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Great plan by JSU! UCA used to take whoever would transfer and have 10+ on the roster but this new coach in his third year is big on high school kids. He will take maybe 4 or 5 C.C. transfers or FBS transfers, but usually not at key positions like QB. Of course I'm not fooling myself if a 5 star QB wanted to transfer to UCA I don't see him turning him down...but overall we've gotten a few linemen and some defensive players that filled the needs in a totally depleted area at best. When Conque was here he loaded up on them!

Bisonoline
January 17th, 2017, 03:52 PM
I'm sure that and the beatdown from NDSU both played a part. The YSU game was embarrassing. Not so much because of the score but because of the way some of our players decided to handle themselves.

You cant develop a culture on the backs of transfers. When you can develop a team culture it becomes more about team than self.

citdog
January 17th, 2017, 04:11 PM
You cant develop a culture on the backs of transfers. When you can develop a team culture it becomes more about team than self.

Like the Senior Cadets in the Receiving Corps at The Citadel this past season. They were recruited by Kevin Higgins for a passing game that threw the ball 45 times a game. They stayed and learned to be blockers in the Triple Option. They got two of these

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e35/13259580_625018630982441_1160963118_n.jpg?ig_cache _key=MTI2MzE2MTAwNzQwNTgyMjY3MQ%3D%3D.2

Thumper 76
January 17th, 2017, 04:34 PM

Feels like Grass was hoping taking JSU from nothing to something would get him a FBS gig quick, and now that it hasn't happened he wants to build something more long lasting.

Or, he used transfers to raise the profile of the program to make it so he could get higher quality hs recruits once that happened.

Or, he just got tired of the lack of discipline he was getting from his transfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
January 18th, 2017, 12:31 AM
Feels like Grass was hoping taking JSU from nothing to something would get him a FBS gig quick, and now that it hasn't happened he wants to build something more long lasting.

Or, he used transfers to raise the profile of the program to make it so he could get higher quality hs recruits once that happened.

Or, he just got tired of the lack of discipline he was getting from his transfers.

My guess is a combination of guess B and C.

Cocky
January 18th, 2017, 06:35 AM

Discipline hasnt been a transfer problem. Our HS recruits are just as likely to be problems as transfers. Discipline and athletic ability are not related and most transfer come because of athletic ability not other issues.

Milktruck74
January 18th, 2017, 07:45 AM
I agree transfers do come with baggage, but you can't lay the lack of discipline on them alone. That is a culture thing and falls directly at the feet of the coaching staff. Coaches are like parents, they will get what they demand (most of the time)...too many coaches want to be their players friends and not mentors. Hell, I've seen coaches at a frat party...and not a GA, actual coaches....nothing good can come from that.

cx500d
January 18th, 2017, 06:51 PM
It seems Grass and the staff are shifting their focus more toward the high school recruits rather than taking all the transfers that come our way and taking more time developing kids for the long term rather than take transfers for the short term. We've had very good success with our high school players like Barge, Darius Jackson, and Jenkins among others and most of our leaders are the ones we picked up from the high school ranks. It seems our staff is looking for more of that and we have also seen a focus in our recruiting on big linemen. Our only transfer so far this season is BJ Autry, a 6-5 330 pounder from Baylor and we have several big high school kids on the radar. Hope we can get some of them to come in. Defintely looking forward to seeing how the program fares over the next couple years.

Also, Grass says he's sticking around. So BIG plus there.

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/sports/20170115/jsus-grass-talks-recruiting-future-plans

WHUP UTC!

I think in the long run that tactic is best. Sam Houston loves the transfers, and you saw how exposed they were. They love to talk about their Texas, TCU, etc., transfers that got kicked off their original teams for one felony or another.

IBleedYellow
January 18th, 2017, 08:28 PM
I'll just drop the story about how the entire JSU team was talking **** to NDSU instead of running out as a team when they were announced in Frisco last year.

So hopefully Grass can turn that culture around.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ysubigred
January 20th, 2017, 09:42 AM
I was shocked that Coach Grass had so many transfer?! He seems like a class act who likes discipline. Transfers for the right reason is sometimes a good thing.

Milktruck74
January 20th, 2017, 11:25 AM
Transfers for the right reason is sometimes a good thing.

Agreed, but that is about 1 in 10. If your team has two (probably 3 max) transfers/Jucos in a year, then I feel your coach is doing it right....if you have more, lookout....here comes the baggage!!!!