PDA

View Full Version : Beau Baldwin to Cal?

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 03:15 PM
New contract in hand, with a new buy out.....are we going to see the buy out used just a a couple weeks after it was put in place?

Bruce Feldman thinks so

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/821102729560879104

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Wait...did I read this right

His new contact has no buy out?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jan/15/new-contract-rewards-beau-baldwins-winning-ways-wi/

Under its terms, Baldwin’s base salary of $240,000 will increase by $10,000 annually through 2021. The contract is loaded with incentives: $2,000 for winning the Big Sky title, a like amount for each playoff win through the quarterfinals and $4,000 for reaching the title game.

Winning another FCS title would be worth $10,000.

Other bonuses would be paid if the Eagles reach certain thresholds in the classroom and at the gate.

The incentives total $34,000 annually.

There is no buyout clause should Baldwin leave during the term of the contract.

“I appreciate the continuous support from Dr. Cullinan and our athletic administration towards the support of our program,” Baldwin said. “We look forward to even greater things in the future.”

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 03:41 PM
More smoke rolling out from Cheney

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2017/1/16/14286748/breaking-cal-hires-ewu-hc-beau-baldwin-offensive-coordinator

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 04:00 PM
EWU calls presser for 3:15 Pacific Time.

Bye Bye Beau?

dewey
January 16th, 2017, 04:12 PM
What a big loss for EWU this would be. Baldwin has turned EWU into a perennial top 5-10 team.

Dewey

clenz
January 16th, 2017, 04:18 PM
Seriously,

Who does Beau have photos/videos/texts/voicemails of and doing/saying what to get a brand new contract with ZERO buy out? I mean...wow

IBleedYellow
January 16th, 2017, 04:27 PM
How the hell do you not have a buyout on a National Title winning coach?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 16th, 2017, 04:28 PM
What a big loss for EWU this would be. Baldwin has turned EWU into a perennial top 5-10 offense.

Dewey
FIFY

ursus arctos horribilis
January 16th, 2017, 04:34 PM
I would imagine Beau said "no signee if buyout in placey" and that is how it came about. I highly doubt it was not done for some specific reason like this. He has been a great coach and elevated the program so at some point you probably have to go along with his requests that would allow for his future betterment.

I'm just guessing at that of course but seems like the only way it would have happened. What is EWU gonna say..."no"....doubt that.

Silenoz
January 16th, 2017, 04:38 PM
Thank You Jesus

ursus arctos horribilis
January 16th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Thank You Jesus

You're welcome.

superman7515
January 16th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Seriously,

Who does Beau have photos/videos/texts/voicemails of and doing/saying what to get a brand new contract with ZERO buy out? I mean...wow

The same reason Calipari doesn't have a buyout in his contract; if there is no buyout clause, the only way out of the contract is to get fired or renegotiate, so no one else can hire Calipari until 2021 because there's no way out of his contract without lawsuits for tortious interference and, of course, the courts reserve the right to impose injunctive relief that would prevent Calipari from taking the theoretical new job or that would force Calipari to work for free since he would not be allowed to benefit from the contractual relationship that arose from the illegal breach. EWU could sue any school that hired Baldwin for damages, both punitive and any losses the school can show it incurs, as well as force Baldwin to forgo any salary at his new job.

kalm
January 16th, 2017, 05:09 PM
Gulp

Hambone
January 16th, 2017, 05:20 PM
For EWUs sake hopefully they have a short list that they can act on right away. I'm guessing with him being in the running for some HC vacancies earlier they have something that is quickly actionable.

Laker
January 16th, 2017, 05:39 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/758378704691040256/z13jgU6Q_bigger.jpgEWU AthleticsVerified account‏@EWUAthletics (https://twitter.com/EWUAthletics)

BREAKING: @EWUFootball (https://twitter.com/EWUFootball) head coach Beau Baldwin accepts the Off. Coordinator job at Cal, effectively ending his 9-year run with the Eags.

Daytripper
January 16th, 2017, 06:05 PM
For EWUs sake hopefully they have a short list that they can act on right away. I'm guessing with him being in the running for some HC vacancies earlier they have something that is quickly actionable.

Chip Kelly.

centennial
January 16th, 2017, 06:05 PM
Welcome to the club EWU. I was perplexed that Nevada passed on him. Hire from within and keep it going.

Redbird007
January 16th, 2017, 06:15 PM
How the hell do you not have a buyout on a National Title winning coach?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I am assuming it is the "you get what you pay for" meaning Baldwin had leverage and would have wanted more base salary to insert that clause. Cheaper salary you get fewer restrictions.

TheKingpin28
January 16th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Wow. Can't blame him for leaving for more dollars but this sucks for sure.

Bisonoline
January 16th, 2017, 06:20 PM
Wow. Can't blame him for leaving for more dollars but this sucks for sure.

Its more about a move up in the career path. The dollars just happen to come along with that move.

NDSU Fan
January 16th, 2017, 06:26 PM
EWU will move forward with interim co-head coaches in run game coordinator Aaron Best and defensive coordinator Jeff Schmedding.

SeattleBobcat
January 16th, 2017, 08:05 PM
What a big loss for EWU this would be. Baldwin has turned EWU into a perennial top 5-10 team.

Dewey

This is a big loss to the Big Sky, unless some other teams start playing some quality football, EWU has been the BSC for the past few years. But EWU will feel this no doubt. Sure they should have some pretty talented players, but they do lose a lot. Plus its hard for any coach to make a seamless transition. NDSU did it, but they promoted within from their bread and butter. EWU can't hire there OC, because Baldwin was their OC. So now you bring in a new coach and then have to build around what they want to do. So I definitely think EWU is out of contention for at least the next 2 years, and the Big Sky will look more like the NEC until then.

Grizalltheway
January 16th, 2017, 08:26 PM
I think Pflugrad is still looking for work...

TheKingpin28
January 16th, 2017, 08:27 PM
Its more about a move up in the career path. The dollars just happen to come along with that move.

The only reason why I said dollars instead of career is that it's Cal. Not the best program out there. 1 Conference Title in 42 years does not look good and would be the reason why I think the dollars are the bigger reason. That's not to say this won't help his career going to a P5 school with significant following and exposure.

The Yo Show
January 16th, 2017, 08:27 PM
I have never heard of co-head coaches

Cocky
January 16th, 2017, 08:47 PM
Had a high school in Alabama do it a few years back but never in college.

centennial
January 16th, 2017, 09:58 PM
This is a big loss to the Big Sky, unless some other teams start playing some quality football, EWU has been the BSC for the past few years. But EWU will feel this no doubt. Sure they should have some pretty talented players, but they do lose a lot. Plus its hard for any coach to make a seamless transition. NDSU did it, but they promoted within from their bread and butter. EWU can't hire there OC, because Baldwin was their OC. So now you bring in a new coach and then have to build around what they want to do. So I definitely think EWU is out of contention for at least the next 2 years, and the Big Sky will look more like the NEC until then.

EWU has been the only consistent good team out of the Big Sky in the last few years. NDSU did win 2 NC's after our coaches got raided. Every new coach comes in with new ideas, wants to have a signature on the program even when they inherit the playbooks from a really successful predecessors. Some new coaches might not have the same understanding of concepts, after a year or two the players and the schemes change. The point I am making is current coaching success even with continued coaching doesn't mean you stay a successful program. Look at Oregon after Chip Kelly. This is good news for Montana, and others in the Big Sky like North Dakota, Montana State but bad for the FCS. We lose a coach that was taking down PAC-12 teams.

mvemjsunpx
January 16th, 2017, 10:21 PM
I think Pflugrad is still looking for work...

And he's still going to be. xcoffeex

dudeitsaid
January 16th, 2017, 10:41 PM
Welcome to the club EWU. I was perplexed that Nevada passed on him. Hire from within and keep it going.

I can tell you that's what I'm hoping for! These are uncertain times...

dudeitsaid
January 16th, 2017, 10:45 PM

I see this as more of a possibility if we hire from outside. If we keep the core of our current coaches together, and bring in a quality OC, EWU is still very stacked in regards to talent, and has one of the top recruiting classes in the FCS. If they retain those recruits and their continuity, I think we have a couple of promotable assistants that can keep the team near the top.

But, it's hard to imagine a coach walking in and having the kind of success Baldwin had. He truly is a tremendous coach and person.

citdog
January 16th, 2017, 10:48 PM

If The Citadel can lose the Coach that beat NDSU and won the Chipper and go 10-2 and win the Southern Conference the following year with a hire from within, Brent Thompson, who had never been a Head Coach I think EWU will be fine.

Bisonoline
January 16th, 2017, 11:02 PM

You dont develop coaches?

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 16th, 2017, 11:47 PM
Happy to see Baldwin move on!! Tough loss for EWU but it was time for him to try his luck at FBS!

dgtw
January 17th, 2017, 06:38 AM

It said interim. I guess you need someone to answer the phone, but why have interim co-head coaches? I guess it is just giving them something to put on their resume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dewey
January 17th, 2017, 07:13 AM
Sounds like a big payday for Baldwin.

http://easterneronline.com/38770/sports/beau-baldwin-leaving-ewu-for-offensive-coordinator-position-at-cal/

"The news comes just a month after EWU athletic director Bill Chaves announced that Baldwin and the school were negotiating a new five-year contract that was set to expire after the 2021 season. The Spokesman-Review reported that Baldwin was set to make $240,000 next season, not including incentives. For reference, former Cal offensive coordinator Jake Spavital’s salary was $385,000 in the 2016 season, according to USA Today."

I am surprised that he never got a HC job at PAC12 or MWC school.

http://www.swxrightnow.com/story/34271231/beau-baldwin-leaves-eastern-washington-hired-as-offensive-coordinator-at-cal

"Baldwin had a 58-14 Big Sky record for a winning percentage of .806 to rank as the fifth-best in league history. His .733 winning percentage overall (85-31) is seventh all-time in the 53-year history of the Big Sky. He was just four wins shy of the school record of 89 victories by Dick Zornes from 1979-93 during EWU's transition from NAIA to NCAA Division I and the Big Sky.

The 2016 season was the sixth time Baldwin has taken the Eagles to the playoffs as head coach (2009-10-12-13-14-16), plus two more as offensive coordinator (2004-05). Eastern finished his final season 12-2 overall after a perfect 8-0 league campaign, winning the school's seventh title with Baldwin as a coach (2004-05-10-12-13-14-16). He coached in a total of 29 postseason playoff games (12 appearances) with a record of 18-10-1, including eight appearances in the FCS Playoffs and two at both the NCAA Division II and NAIA levels when he was at Central Washington.

In his nine years as Eastern's head coach, the Eagles ranked in the top 10 in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision in passing offense eight times and total offense six seasons. Eastern led the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision in passing offense in 2016 (401.0 yards per game), 2015 (353.3) and 2011 (368.5), and scoring in 2014 (44.1 points per game). In EWU's last 13 seasons (2004-2016), including 12 with Baldwin on the coaching staff, EWU has ranked in the top 10 in passing 11 times, total offense on nine occasions and scoring five times.

Included in Baldwin's victories as head coach were a pair of wins over Pac-12 Conference opponents – Oregon State 49-46 in 2013 and Washington State 45-42 to open EWU's 2016 campaign. In 2009, in his second year as head coach, the Eagles fell at Cal 59-7."

Dewey

Mattymc727
January 17th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Rough time to leave a couple weeks before signing day. Hopefully the interim guys can hold the class together....

Iridebikes
January 17th, 2017, 08:25 AM
More smoke rolling out from Cheney

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2017/1/16/14286748/breaking-cal-hires-ewu-hc-beau-baldwin-offensive-coordinator

No smoke here. Beau did a great job for us and deserves the opportunity to move on. He not only is an outstanding coach but ran a good program that we are proud to be associated with . Thanks for everything Beau. Best wishes in your new adventure.Our AD,Bill Chaves has made several great hires sofar and there's no reason to believe that he won't do the same this time.

Bisonator
January 17th, 2017, 08:54 AM
Congrats to Coach Baldwin. Always seemed like a stand up guy and a very good coach.

I'd think EWU would be fine with keeping the current staff in place and not losing a ton of recruits. It's a little different when your HC leaves for another HC job and raids the staff as well. Looks like NDSU gets to break in another new BSC school head coach again. Hopefully it goes better then it did in Missoula in 2015!

walliver
January 17th, 2017, 12:23 PM
The same reason Calipari doesn't have a buyout in his contract; if there is no buyout clause, the only way out of the contract is to get fired or renegotiate, so no one else can hire Calipari until 2021 because there's no way out of his contract without lawsuits for tortious interference and, of course, the courts reserve the right to impose injunctive relief that would prevent Calipari from taking the theoretical new job or that would force Calipari to work for free since he would not be allowed to benefit from the contractual relationship that arose from the illegal breach. EWU could sue any school that hired Baldwin for damages, both punitive and any losses the school can show it incurs, as well as force Baldwin to forgo any salary at his new job.

It is hard to imagine any forward-looking FCS coach signing a contract where he can be fired but can't quit.

kalm
January 17th, 2017, 01:23 PM
RB's coach, Kiel McDonald is heading to Utah. So we now need a HC, OC, QB coach, RB coach, and TE coach.

clenz
January 17th, 2017, 01:27 PM
RB's coach, Kiel McDonald is heading to Utah. So we now need a HC, OC, QB coach, RB coach, and TE coach.
Welcome to UNI's world

Currently UNI needs

OC
QB
WR
RB
OL
DL
CB
SS
ST

Basically all we have is Farley (HC), Danielson (TE) and Johnson (DC/LB)

kalm
January 17th, 2017, 01:37 PM
Welcome to UNI's world

Currently UNI needs

OC
QB
WR
RB
OL
DL
CB
SS
ST

Jesus...what happened?

Daytripper
January 17th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Welcome to UNI's world

Currently UNI needs

OC
QB
WR
RB
OL
DL
CB
SS
ST

Yes, WTH happened?

clenz
January 17th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Jesus...what happened?
Really complex answer with a short/easy/scape goat answer of two words - Mark Farley.

Not to take this topic too far off EWU, but it was asked.

Farley's seat is scorching hot in CF right now, for many reasons. One of them is his ability/willingness (or lack there of) to treat/pay assistant coaches well/correctly. He's notoriously hard to work for. Eric Sanders (the QB who played for UNI, holds the FCS completion % record) was here coaching for a year or two. He grew up an hour from CF. Played QB at UNI. A legend in CF. He left coaching at UNI and took a high school gig in Florida rather than deal with Farley.

Some of the coaches we've lost this year are "up and comers" and hired by bigger programs. The rest I've heard anywhere from a revolt against Farley to Farley firing them because they didn't work hard enough/push players enough. I've heard a bunch of things. All I know is that UNI is down a bunch of coaches.

It's a lot more complex than that, but you get the point.

Last year's staff and current status at UNI

HC: Mark Farley - still here

Associate HC/Co-OC/RB Bill Salmon - retired...or planned to retire. Been coaching at UNI for 30 years. His retiring was never made public, but it's widely known he was going to retire. He may not at this point simply out of respect for the program.

Co-OC/WR Ryan Mahaffey - gone to WKU as TE coach - Was here for a year, the heir apparent to Salmon. Played at UNI under Salmon and Farley. After a NFL stint he was a TE coach at UNI. Went to Notre Dame as a GA.

QB Collin Klein - (yes, that Heisman finalist Collin Klein) Interviewing with Air Force. From Colorado Springs. He's as good as gone. He was here one year

OL Ben Barkema - fired...real recently. No story known beyond that as of now. Supposedly him and Farley had little/no relationship and never talked (?)

TE/OT Nick Danielson - still on staff and actively recruiting

------------------------------

DC/LB Jeremiah Johnson - still here

Asst HC for Defense/DB/Director of Recruiting Brandon Lynch - off to ECU...big loss. He was GREAT

DL/Player Dev Bryce Paup - now DL coach at Minnesota. He didn't want to coach at all 4 years ago. Farley talked him into it. It apparently grew on him. The majority of UNI fans I interact with want him to be the next HC. I have a conspiracy theory on that I can share if you care

Safeties Olaitan Oguntodo - Reportedly gone, no true confirmation but very strongly believed he's gone

---------------------------------

UNI didn't have a special teams coach last year and it showed.

Hell, I've half heard rumors even our Director of Football Ops guy could be gone. He played WR at UNI, was a GA at UNI (could step into a coaching role if asked/needed)

Sure, some of it is bigger programs poaching guys moving up. A lot of it sure seems like a total reset of a failed system.

So yeah...essentially

http://cdn1.thecomeback.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/dumpsterfire-600x356.png

superman7515
January 17th, 2017, 05:42 PM
It is hard to imagine any forward-looking FCS coach signing a contract where he can be fired but can't quit.

You can quit, but that involves you first renegotiating and some sort of punitive measures being put in place, usually a large return of previous salary and the employer not allowing you to go to a direct competitor. Kentucky is notorious for it; neither Calipari nor Mark Stoops have buyout clauses because UKentucky has made it well known that they will tie up the other school/business in court so long that it does no good to attempt to take one of their head coaches. Even the NBA's Sacramento Kings backed off Calipari because the Wildcats said they'd tie it up in court so long that he wouldn't coach a single game for the first two years of his contract.

YoUDeeMan
January 18th, 2017, 07:16 AM
You can quit, but that involves you first renegotiating and some sort of punitive measures being put in place, usually a large return of previous salary and the employer not allowing you to go to a direct competitor. Kentucky is notorious for it; neither Calipari nor Mark Stoops have buyout clauses because UKentucky has made it well known that they will tie up the other school/business in court so long that it does no good to attempt to take one of their head coaches. Even the NBA's Sacramento Kings backed off Calipari because the Wildcats said they'd tie it up in court so long that he wouldn't coach a single game for the first two years of his contract.

Then how is Beau gone?

superman7515
January 18th, 2017, 08:18 AM
Then how is Beau gone?

You'd have to ask EWU why they lack the testicular fortitude of Kentucky.

clenz
January 18th, 2017, 08:26 AM
You'd have to ask EWU why they lack the testicular fortitude of Kentucky.
I'm guessing....just guessing...

It has something to do with Kentucky being able to have a basketball budget (just men's basketball) that is the same size as the entire athletic budget at EWU.

Maybe it has to do with Kentucky basketball profiting nearly as much as EWU's entire athletic budget....EWU's budget is about 13m. UK basketball profits about 10M

Maybe...it has to do with Kentucky probably having two dozen, plus, donors that donate more per year on their own than EWU gets in total donations per year (1M)

Comparing UK football to EWU football is like saying "Well, Apple would do this so if mom and pop shop in downtown smalltown America it's because they lack the fortitude to do it"

kalm
January 21st, 2017, 07:27 PM
Former player, long time oline coach, and running game coordinator Aaron Best has been hired.

https://twitter.com/EWUFootball

He deserves it and will continue CBB's culture.

I'm happy with this.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 21st, 2017, 08:11 PM
Former player, long time oline coach, and running game coordinator Aaron Best has been hired.

I'm happy with this.

Good work by EWU then.

dudeitsaid
January 21st, 2017, 10:40 PM

I'm happy with this.

Agree. Now, the next important step...assembling an offensive coaching staff. Hope Best can surround himself with people that can get the most out of EWU's offensive talent, and we continue to see the defense evolve. We have the talent on the team to be a force for a long time to come, but shrewd coaching so often is the difference between who wins when talented teams go head to head.

Iridebikes
January 23rd, 2017, 07:13 AM
Agree. Now, the next important step...assembling an offensive coaching staff. Hope Best can surround himself with people that can get the most out of EWU's offensive talent, and we continue to see the defense evolve. We have the talent on the team to be a force for a long time to come, but shrewd coaching so often is the difference between who wins when talented teams go head to head.

I'm glad to hear that one of the existing coaches, in this case Aaron Best, earned the job. I agree that it gives us a better chance to extend the existing culture. With the kids we have in the stable I would think that we should have the opportunity to get so really good,up and coming offensive coaching talent. Maybe even some experienced coaches. Who wouldn't want to coach the young offensive tools that we have? It going to be fun!!!!