PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Southern Conference TV Schedule

EagleCrusade
July 13th, 2005, 10:05 PM
2005 Southern Conference Television Schedule

Fox Sports Net South/Fox College Sports (FSN South/FCS)
October 15 Georgia Southern at Appalachian State, 3:30 p.m.
November 5 Furman at Georgia Southern, 4:00 p.m.

College Sports Television (CSTV)
September 1 Furman at Jacksonville State, 8:00 p.m.
November 12 Wofford at Furman, 3:30 p.m.

Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast (CSS)
September 3 *Georgia Southern at Northeastern, 2:00 p.m.
September 17 Georgia Southern at Wofford, 7:00 p.m.
September 24 Chattanooga at Georgia Southern, 7:00 p.m.
October 8 Western Carolina at Georgia Southern, Noon
October 8 Appalachian State at Furman, 3:30 p.m.
October 22 The Citadel at Georgia Southern, 3:30 p.m.
October 29 Chattanooga at Appalachian State, 3:30 p.m.
November 12 Western Carolina at Appalachian State, 3:30 p.m.
November 19 Furman at Chattanooga, 3:30

ESPNU
September 10 The Citadel at Florida State, 6:45 p.m.

*game also broadcast on CN8 (Comcast) network in New England

By Team
Appalachian State Mountaineers
October 8 @ Furman 3:30pm CSS
October 15 vs Georgia Southern 3:30pm FSNS
October 29 vs Chattanooga 3:30pm
November 12 vs Western Carolina 3:30 CSS

Chattanooga Mocs
September 24 @ Georgia Southern 7pm CSS
October 29 @ Appalachian State 3:30pm CSS
November 19 vs Furman 3:30pm CSS

Citadel Bulldogs
September 10 @ Florida State 6:45 ESPNU
October 22 @ Georgia Southern 3:30 CSS

Elon Phoenix
none

Furman Paladins
September 1 @ Jacksonville State 8pm CSTV
October 8 vs Appalachian State 3:30 CSS
November 5 @ Georgia Southern 4pm FSNS/FCS (national)
November 12 vs Wofford 3:30pm CSTV
November 19 @ Chattanooga 3:30 CSS

Georgia Southern Eagles
September 3 @ Northeastern 2pm CSS
September 17 @ Wofford 7pm CSS
September 24 vs Chattanooga 7pm CSS
October 8 vs Western Carolina Noon CSS
October 15 @ Appalachian State 3:30 FSNS
October 22 vs The Citadel 3:30 CSS
November 5 vs Furman 4pm FSNS/FCS (national)

Western Carolina Catamounts
October 8 @ Georgia Southern Noon CSS
November 12 @ Appalachian State 3:30pm CSS

Wofford Terriers
September 17 vs Georgia Southern 7pm CSS
November 12 @ Furman 3:30 CSTV

ccujacket
July 13th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Good group of CSS games. I'm looking forward to it.

walliver
July 13th, 2005, 10:35 PM
The Fox schedule looks pathetic. Fox sports is the only network listed which is widely distributed geographically as well as cable AND satellite (CSS is cable only, CSTV is primarily available on satellite [my cable company doesn't carry it]).

I am somewhat surprised that GSU vs. McNeese isn't on the list.

Also, I noticed that some less than interesting games appear (GSU vs Chattanooga and GSU vs. Citadel). Is GSU sponsoring these games?

Retro
July 13th, 2005, 11:01 PM
The whole fox sports regional setup is messed up.

Fox sports net needs a "fox sports net NATIONAL" station for everyone, so they can show their big 12 and pac 10 games and all their other nationally broadcast shows.

If they had this, it would free up the regional stations to show more actual regional games and shows.. Those regional stations could still still show some of those national broadcasts and other shows at various times.

It's kind of redundant to show the same pac 10 game on 30 different regional channels, when you could have it one national station and especially when most football fans who get the direct tv sportspack to see more variety in the first place...

The national station and your area regional station would be on regular cable or satellite, but if people knew there was going to more variety on those regional channels, you'd see a lot more people buying those stations..

It hurts the ability of those regional stations like Fox south, southwest, fox chicago, etc to schedule other games, in particular I-AA games because of their commitment to these pac 10 and big 12 games..

Retro
July 13th, 2005, 11:05 PM
CSTV is the only established one listed that shows one game nationally. Try getting SoCon games in Chicago, never happens because Fox is regional. I pay for all the Fox regional channels on DTV but get only one game, the closest regional one.

Ralph, that doesn't make sense.. If your buying the Sportspack on Direct tv, then you should get any college football games they show outside of anything broadcast on another local station. I know for a fact that last season that i could get Lehigh games from fox pittsburgh, Furman game from FOX south, SLC games on fox sw, etc...

The only sports the fox regional channels black out are the pro sports or the college games that are being played via ESPN gameplan... You may want to check into that.

ccujacket
July 13th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Also, I noticed that some less than interesting games appear (GSU vs Chattanooga and GSU vs. Citadel). Is GSU sponsoring these games?

CSS is headquartered in Atlanta.

EagleCrusade
July 13th, 2005, 11:16 PM
The Fox schedule looks pathetic. Fox sports is the only network listed which is widely distributed geographically as well as cable AND satellite (CSS is cable only, CSTV is primarily available on satellite [my cable company doesn't carry it]).

Someone sounds jealous.
GS vs Furman is the game-of-the-year.
GS vs APP is a huge huge rivalry!
CSS reaches millions of homes around the southeast. Its a whole lot better than C-SET, may it RIP.
I dont see how you can be angry with the SoCon's TV package. it shows a good amount of games, including all the big rivalries. To scoff at FSNS's choices of games....doesn't make sense at all.

TxSt02
July 14th, 2005, 01:55 AM
I just moved from Atlanta and CSS is by far the best sports channel out there for football coverage of all levels!!!

thirdgendin
July 14th, 2005, 06:35 AM

First, about Fox. It seems that the SoCon has shifted its Fox coverage in the past few years to allow more basketball games to be shown and fewer football games. That makes most schools happy, although not Furman, GSU, ASU and Wofford.

Yes, GSU is paying for those games on CSS. EagleCrusade left that part out of his original message. Here is the list according to the SoCon website:

2005 Southern Conference Television Schedule

Fox Sports Net South/Fox College Sports (FSN South/FCS)
October 15 Georgia Southern at Appalachian State, 3:30 p.m.
November 5 Furman at Georgia Southern, 4:00 p.m.

College Sports Television (CSTV)
September 1 Furman at Jacksonville State, 8:00 p.m.
November 12 Wofford at Furman, 3:30 p.m.

Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast (CSS)
September 3 *Georgia Southern at Northeastern, 2:00 p.m. (GSU production)
September 17 Georgia Southern at Wofford, 7:00 p.m. (SoCon production)
September 24 Chattanooga at Georgia Southern, 7:00 p.m. (GSU production)
October 8 Western Carolina at Georgia Southern, Noon (GSU production)
October 8 Appalachian State at Furman, 3:30 p.m. (SoCon/Furman production)
October 22 The Citadel at Georgia Southern, 3:30 p.m. (GSU production)
October 29 Chattanooga at Appalachian State, 3:30 p.m. (ASU/SoCon production)
November 12 Western Carolina at Appalachian State, 3:30 p.m. (ASU/SoCon production)
November 19 Furman at Chattanooga, 3:30 (Furman production)

ESPNU
September 10 The Citadel at Florida State, 6:45 p.m.

*game also broadcast on CN8 (Comcast) network in New England

thirdgendin
July 14th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Nope, when I check in to see the other games on Fox regionals they are all showing Indiana vs. Wisconsin or some other I-A crap. ALL OF THEM. I complained but to no avail. It may be different in other locales but not here. Empire and other stations had I-AA but rarely from Fox and very very rarely from the southern Fox stations.

I've never had a problem with the Sports pack on Directv. It's an awesome deal for about $.40/day. Many of the stations do show whatever I-A game is on, but if they're showing a I-AA game in their region, it's also on Directv.

Baldy
July 14th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Yes, GSU is paying for those games on CSS.

Really, and how much did we pay?

FU97
July 14th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Furman has paid for some games in the past (i.e. Furman-Pittsburgh last year). I don't know the cost. Typically you have to cover all production costs and provide announcers. I think CSS keeps advertising income to "pay" for the air time.

As I mentioned, Furman has done this quite a few times in the past. It's usually pretty obvious which ones they paid for as usually our normal radio announcer and a former Furman player are calling the game on TV.

thirdgendin
July 14th, 2005, 10:50 AM

I'm not sure. As was mentioned above, I imagine it includes production/crew costs and maybe some advertising rights.

But that's what "GSU Production" means. It looks like Furman is partially producing the ASU game and fully producing the Chattanooga game, while ASU has some games as well.

ccujacket
July 14th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Furman has paid for some games in the past (i.e. Furman-Pittsburgh last year). I don't know the cost. Typically you have to cover all production costs and provide announcers. I think CSS keeps advertising income to "pay" for the air time.

As I mentioned, Furman has done this quite a few times in the past. It's usually pretty obvious which ones they paid for as usually our normal radio announcer and a former Furman player are calling the game on TV.
That's what we must have done when the CCU/CSU game was on CSS last year since our radio announcer did the TV announcing.

EagleCrusade
July 14th, 2005, 11:17 AM
You're still going to watch it.

SuperEagle
July 14th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Is CSS on direct TV? I've never bought the sports pack but would be willing to if CSS was on it.

blueballs
July 14th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Is CSS on direct TV? I've never bought the sports pack but would be willing to if CSS was on it.

No

thirdgendin
July 14th, 2005, 01:31 PM

No, it's only on Charter and Comcast cable systems in the southeast.

Retro
July 14th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Nope, when I check in to see the other games on Fox regionals they are all showing Indiana vs. Wisconsin or some other I-A crap. ALL OF THEM. I complained but to no avail. It may be different in other locales but not here. Empire and other stations had I-AA but rarely from Fox and very very rarely from the southern Fox stations.

Ralph, I think your just referring to what's on everywhere on those stations.. If there is designated I-AA game on fox south or elsewhere, that is the only game available on that station at that time.. The other I-A games like their big 12 or pac 10 games of the week are usually on every fox regional channel and usually not pre-empted.. I've never seen where a scheduled I-AA game was overriden for I-A game as best i can recall..

If you have dtv sportspack, you should receive exactly what those stations shows.. They don't have alternate feeds except for something from the pro games packages for the most part.. If fox south has a socon game on, you should get it as well as a lehigh game on fox pittsburgh, provided the game is actually scheduled on that station.

FU97
July 14th, 2005, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure. As was mentioned above, I imagine it includes production/crew costs and maybe some advertising rights.

But that's what "GSU Production" means. It looks like Furman is partially producing the ASU game and fully producing the Chattanooga game, while ASU has some games as well.

I would guess that if CSTV didn't pick up the JSU and Woffy games, we would have looked to produce those on CSS as well.

Mr. C
July 14th, 2005, 06:04 PM
CSTV is the only established one listed that shows one game nationally. Try getting SoCon games in Chicago, never happens because Fox is regional. I pay for all the Fox regional channels on DTV but get only one game, the closest regional one.
If you had Dish Network, you would get those games on Fox Sports South and the other Fox networks. Dish doesn't black out those I-AA games from around the country, like DirecTV apparently does. The downside is that Dish hasn't started showing CSTV, ESPU or YES as of yet. If I had the extra cash, I would do two Dishes (Dish and DirectTV), so I would get all of those channels.

Bison_Kent
July 14th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Actually, I have DirecTV and where I live (Kansas) the Fox stations weren't blocked out that showed I-AA games. Examples included Fox Sports Net North and Fox Sports Net Rocky Mountain that showed the NDSU-Northern Colorado game. I taped it live since I was at the game.

I also saw and taped many Southland contests live on Fox Sports Net Southwest and none of these games were blocked.

I think DirecTV blocks out any games that are a part of any Pay-Per-View telecasts. Which for most I-AA contests aren't many.

TxSt02
July 14th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Really stupid question...

I know the IA conferences are part of a TV plan and money get distributed amongst conference members (I believe) and of course there is Notre Dame but how do IAA teams/conferences get money? Take the SoCon. Elon is zero games, does this mean they get zero money or do they still get a share of the pot? On the flipside what about Ga Southern? Are they getting more money for more appearances?

Ultimately is money paid directly to the teams or to the conferences? And when is this money paid out?

Thanks guys!

thirdgendin
July 14th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Really stupid question...

I know the IA conferences are part of a TV plan and money get distributed amongst conference members (I believe) and of course there is Notre Dame but how do IAA teams/conferences get money? Take the SoCon. Elon is zero games, does this mean they get zero money or do they still get a share of the pot? On the flipside what about Ga Southern? Are they getting more money for more appearances?

Ultimately is money paid directly to the teams or to the conferences? And when is this money paid out?

Thanks guys!

The simple answer is that there is no "pot" for I-AA schools. ABC, ESPN, etc. pay I-A conferences to televise their games. In I-AA, the conferences are the ones paying the networks most of the time. Sometimes, it's done at no cost, but I'm not sure of any instances in which I-AA schools would actually make any money directly from TV.

SoCon48
July 14th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Exactly, from talking to a SoCon official, the TV broadcasts are basically a break-even situation at best.

thirdgendin
July 15th, 2005, 05:35 AM
As I posted many times last year a I-AA game appeared on Fox regionals yet we in Chicagoland could not get the game on our DTV sportspack. Believe it. BTW, this is Big 10leven country (yuk), not 12 or pac.

That's weird. I've never heard of anyone else in America with that problem.

I believe the reason he mentioned Big 12 and Pac 10 is b/c they have contracts with Fox while the Big 10 is pretty much exclusively shown on ABC, ESPN and ESPN Plus.

SoCon48
July 18th, 2005, 03:05 PM
I prefer Fox. Never missed one of their broadcasts of my team. Still haven't figured out who in H can get those other networks. Sometimes wonder if they don't have more crew than viewers.

EagleCrusade
July 18th, 2005, 03:16 PM
I prefer Fox. Never missed one of their broadcasts of my team. Still haven't figured out who in H can get those other networks. Sometimes wonder if they don't have more crew than viewers.

You mean C-Set?

SoCon48
July 19th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Not anymore. They don't have a crew nor fans. They are now defunct, you know.