PDA

View Full Version : Hatcher to be named new Georgia Southern Head Coach

ButlerGSU
January 18th, 2007, 12:11 PM
ESPN is reporting now that Hatcher met with his VSU team this morning and will be announced as the new GSU head coach tomorrow at a press conference. The local press in Statesboro and Savannah are both reporting it as well.

Bison_Kent
January 18th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Here is that report:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2734992&campaign=rss&source=NCAAHeadlines

CSU BUCS
January 18th, 2007, 04:32 PM
He uses the “Air Raid” Offence that Hal Mumme used at Iowa Wesleyan, Valdosta State, and Kentucky. Another deciple of Mumme is Mike Leach at Texas Tech. If you have watched Texas Tech’s offence then you have seen the “Air Raid” and the Offence Hatcher will run at GSU.

OL FU
January 18th, 2007, 04:34 PM
He uses the “Air Raid” Offence that Hal Mumme used at Iowa Wesleyan, Valdosta State, and Kentucky. Another deciple of Mumme is Mike Leach at Texas Tech. If you have watched Texas Tech’s offence then you have seen the “Air Raid” and the Offence Hatcher will run at GSU.

:rolleyes: I am glad he will run the type of offense that Furman is so good at stopping:rolleyes:

nothingbutjsu
January 18th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Chris Hatcher will be named Georgia Southern's head football coach at a press conference Friday, the Valdosta Times reported Thursday afternoon and sources close to the situation confirmed to the Statesboro Herald.

Georgia Southern has called a press conference for 11 a.m. at the Bishop Building to introduce Hatcher.

Hatcher replaces Brian VanGorder, who resigned Tuesday to accept an assistant coaching position with the Atlanta Falcons. VanGorder was 3-8 in his lone year at Georgia Southern.

Hatcher, a Macon native and the Blazers’ star quarterback from 1991-1994, has accumulated impressive credentials in seven seasons with the Blazers, compiling a 76-12 overall record and a .842 winning percentage, third-best in the nation at any level. He led VSU to a Division II national title in 2004.

Some Georgia Southern fans favored Hatcher during the Eagles’ last coaching search 14 months ago, but he was never interviewed. This time, Georgia Southern isn’t overlooking the successful leader, who would become the program’s sixth full-time head coach.
Hatcher began his coaching career as a student assistant at Valdosta State in 1995 and later spent one season at Central Florida and three at Kentucky before returning to the Blazers to take the head job in 2000.

spelunker64
January 19th, 2007, 08:02 AM
See ya in Fargo Mr. Hatcher!

catdaddy2402
January 19th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Good hire. Hatcher was in the running for a couple FBS head coaching jobs, and was mentioned a couple of times for FSU's OC position.

appfan2008
January 19th, 2007, 09:04 AM
that espn article used Iaa instead of fcs :nono:
but is that really a surprise?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 19th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Wasn't this hiring done *awfully* fast? BVG hasn't even been gone a week. I know that it is an extremely important time of year with recruiting, but could this be another "emotional decision" by the GSU folks that could bite them in the ass again? :twocents:

trusty
January 19th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Wasn't this hiring done *awfully* fast? BVG hasn't even been gone a week. I know that it is an extremely important time of year with recruiting, but could this be another "emotional decision" by the GSU folks that could bite them in the ass again? :twocents:

Don't know only time will tell. On paper Hatcher seems to be a really good fit. He has a great record and seems to know what he is doing. I think it was a great hire and we needed to do it quick with what time of year it is. It can't get any worse than last season and the idiot that BVG was.

OL FU
January 19th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Don't know only time will tell. On paper Hatcher seems to be a really good fit. He has a great record and seems to know what he is doing. I think it was a great hire and we needed to do it quick with what time of year it is. It can't get any worse than last season and the idiot that BVG was.

Was he number two on the least of interviewees last year?

pete4256
January 19th, 2007, 10:13 AM

That's a legitmate concern, but this may not have been as much of a knee jerk reaction as it appears. There are a few reasonable factors in SB's haste:

1) With all of the upheaval over the last 13 1/2 months, there has definitely been a "new coach" radar in place. Hatcher was all over that radar last year (at least from the fan perspective) and the chief knock against him was that he doesn't run the triple option. That won't be nearly as much of an issue now (as long as he doesn't downplay GSU's success with it).

2) Hatcher is MUCH more of a known commodity as a head coach. He's a name in South Georgia, and GSU folks have before now had much the same attitude towards him that Ohio State folks must have had toward Tressel (without nearly the amount of condescension). We've been impressed with his on-field accomplishments for a long time, and he has a reputation for leadership. Hiring BVG was a MUCH less clear proposition. He had no HC experience to speak of, and he was definitely not a "small town Southerner."

3) Timing may well have been of the essence in this case. Personally, I don't think one recruiting class is that important (compared to hiring the right guy). If it were about recruiting, I would have preferred to wait. Now that Hatcher is our guy, I think that the Rice job and Hatcher's potential candidacy for similar HC opportunities and FBS OC positions were the decisive factors in our haste, not recruiting. Additionally, a long, drawn-out hiring process that came down between Hatch and a "GSU man" such as Giff Smith might have further divided the fanbase as they rooted for one candidate or the other.

So, these MAY be mitigating factors. Of course I'm concerned at the timeline, but there's not much to second-guess about Hatcher. Since we've ditched the option anyway, he's about as good a candidate as we could hire.

That being said, if Hatcher is successful, Sam will look like a visionary for throwing VanGorder to the wolves as a scapegoat and replacing him with the real deal. The hastiness will look all the more brilliant. If Hatcher doesn't succeed, our AD's fate is sealed anyway.

Either way, I DO think the AD's hiring practices should be looked at (in fact, they should have been looked at before now).

As long as GSU folks can keep their expectations realistic, this will be a good hire. What we need now is leadership, and hopefully Hatcher has a better idea of that than BVG (it'd be hard not to). On-field success can wait a couple of years.

trusty
January 19th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Was he number two on the least of interviewees last year?

OL FU I really don't know. The story I heard last year was a commitee was formed to hire a new coach and that interviews would start. Of course then the rumors started about Nall, Smith, etc. Later we heard that only BVG was contacted and this group was 1 high dollar booster that had influence. Not sure how this one happened but it was quick and I hope it was right. It seems right.

henfan
January 19th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Hatcher seems like a terrific fit for GSU on so many levels. Let's hope the GSU administration and boosters demonstrate a modicum of patience with him.

Good luck to GSU with recruiting.:thumbsup:

ButlerGSU
January 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM
I just got back home from the press conference and all I can say is wow.

A great professor from my undergraduate days was there and he leaned over and said to me "That's how Erk use to speak."

It gave me chills.

BDA_Wookie
January 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM
As long as GSU folks can keep their expectations realistic, this will be a good hire. What we need now is leadership, and hopefully Hatcher has a better idea of that than BVG (it'd be hard not to). On-field success can wait a couple of years.

Amen pete...I would happily settle for an over .500 season this year, making the playoffs would be gravy.

Hatcher seems a likable guy who his team WANT to do well for.

As you can tell, I am looking forward to see what he can do - I was NOT feeling the same at this point last year, what with BVG's attitude & lack of class. :twocents:

Thanks for the report B-GSU...you think it will be on the news/YouTube/anything?

ButlerGSU
January 19th, 2007, 11:28 AM
He said "the only major change I plan to bring to Georgia Southern next season is more wins."

Also said he worked hard at VSU to build the kind of traditions we have at Georgia Southern. Talked about recruiting players who buy into college traditions. We can expect to see players "ride to Paulson on two old rusted school buses for as long as they will run." Also said he was going out to Beautiful Eagle Creek to find the best places to collect water at. Called Erk his 'idol' growing up in nearby Macon.

GRZZ
January 19th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Smart guy. Calls all GSU's favorite coach his idol. I like him already and am excited for you guys!

Baldy
January 19th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I believe we're in good hands. :nod: :thumbsup:

bobbythekidd
January 19th, 2007, 12:09 PM
He said "the only major change I plan to bring to Georgia Southern next season is more wins."
I might change my signature line to this. :nod: I sure am excited now.
Thanks for the update as I was unable to see the conference b/c of the stupid server.

youwouldno
January 19th, 2007, 12:09 PM
GSU fans should at least be a tad gun shy after the BVG fiasco. Hatcher is a very promising HC but you have to play the games...

GaSouthern
January 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM
www.bullochheadlinenews.com has some great video clips from the press conference!!!

catamount man
January 19th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Great hire Eagles.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Baldy
January 19th, 2007, 05:53 PM
www.bullochheadlinenews.com has some great video clips from the press conference!!!
So does www.WTOC.com.
This guy is a nice breath of fresh air. He expects to win and win often, right out of the box. Why not? He's been there done it, and he's used to it. :nod:

MplsBison
January 19th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Air raid?

Hmm.

Well, as long as it's not the option.

4 wide and 5 wide sets are not exactly my favorite either. But they do open up the inside run lanes for a single back or even a running QB.

I assume everything will be out of shotgun.

phillyAPP
January 19th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I am happy for GSU !!
I went to Statesboro for the game this year. It was Great. 2 overtimes. Great hitting all game long. We won because of conditioning,everyone was rolling over to get up after every play in OT.
Almost like a NY Giants and Philly EAGLES game with all the trash talk but mostly people having fun.
I do have to say, its great that GSU has 6 NC wins, but that is history, and GSU fans like a buddy i work with need to live in the present.
I Hope APP is not living in the past this year, or it will be the past.

youwouldno
January 19th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Air raid?

Hmm.

Well, as long as it's not the option.

4 wide and 5 wide sets are not exactly my favorite either. But they do open up the inside run lanes for a single back or even a running QB.

I assume everything will be out of shotgun.

Is there any reason you think anyone wants to keep hearing your anti-option asides? Just register your uneducated opinion and move on...

Grizo406
January 19th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the link!

The buses are back, and it looks like there are good times ahead for my 2nd favorite FCS team.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Baldy
January 19th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the link!

The buses are back, and it looks like there are good times ahead for my 2nd favorite FCS team.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Hope to see you guys in Chattanooga in the near future. With Hatcher at the helm, I feel confident it will happen very very soon. :nod: :thumbsup:

citdog
January 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I feel confident that if "the community and Eagle Nation were better educated " (BVG) that ya'll would not be the winning the award for once prominent program now reduced to being the butt of jokes. You people in South Ga really are a hoot! Thanks for the laughs and the first of many, many, richly deserved 3-8 seasons.

BTW your b-ball team sucks too!

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 20th, 2007, 03:09 PM
GSU fans should at least be a tad gun shy after the BVG fiasco. Hatcher is a very promising HC but you have to play the games...

We are not going to be 3-8 or worse this time, I can promise you. In fact, with a few breaks in key games this year, we could very well be in the playoffs again.

youwouldno
January 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Yeah but still, Hatcher is coming into a tough situation. A winning record would be hard to complain about, objectively, though playoffs are possible. The problem for Hatcher next season is that he has no QB...

blueballs
January 20th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Yeah but still, Hatcher is coming into a tough situation. A winning record would be hard to complain about, objectively, though playoffs are possible. The problem for Hatcher next season is that he has no QB...

The problem is that he has no proven QB. He also needs to get the kicking game straightened out. GSU should be able to get 8 wins or more if he gets those two things in order, but that's a BIG if, the rest of the team coming back is pretty solid.

youwouldno
January 20th, 2007, 05:52 PM
GSU's QB situation is not real great. At that position the Eagles are towards the bottom of the conference. Considering Hatcher's offense, a good QB is essential. Clark has some talent but now he's gone through a transfer and a coaching change.

ButlerGSU
January 20th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Rumor has it Chris Griffin is back in classes and will rejoin the team.

seantaylor
January 21st, 2007, 12:39 AM
If this is true, GSU will be in the mix for the Socon title.

Baldy
January 21st, 2007, 01:15 AM
I feel confident that if "the community and Eagle Nation were better educated " (BVG) that ya'll would not be the winning the award for once prominent program now reduced to being the butt of jokes. You people in South Ga really are a hoot! Thanks for the laughs and the first of many, many, richly deserved 3-8 seasons.

"many, many, richly deserved 3-8 seasons"???
Just who in the hell do you think we are? The Chitadel??? xlolx

youwouldno
January 21st, 2007, 01:43 AM
If this is true, GSU will be in the mix for the Socon title.

How many downs has Griffin played? He's a better athlete than Clark but the latter might fit better in Hatcher's system.

Baldy
January 21st, 2007, 02:14 AM
How many downs has Griffin played? He's a better athlete than Clark but the latter might fit better in Hatcher's system.
Don't know about that. Fabian Walker was the QB who guided Valdosta State to the 2004 DII championship and he is much more like Griffin than he is Clark.

ASU Kep
January 21st, 2007, 03:40 AM
Wow. Seems like a terrific hire for GSU. Might take him a year or two to get ya'll back to pre-BVG, but he certainly seems like the man to do it.

TruckinEagle
January 21st, 2007, 04:04 AM
The season before Hatcher took over as coach of the Blazers, VSU had a record of 4-7. The Blazers improved to 10-2 and won the conference in his first year.

Will history repeat itself?

Laserlips
January 21st, 2007, 08:46 AM

citdog:

I'm kinda new here, so could you help me out and give me a breakdown on the win/loss records between GSU and the Citadel in football?

Thanks!

JP

phillyAPP
January 21st, 2007, 09:44 AM
GSU will be a team to watch this year. Hatcher will make lemonaide out of some of the GSU lemons. They have the talent. Hatcher is a real Coach. he will find the right quarterback and the team will be in the hunt for the SoCon championship.

This will be a brutal year in the SoCon. Every game will be a fight. The Champ will be the most consistent team, errors will kill.

Welcome to THE ROCK!!

GO APPS, fight APPS, kick A** !!!!!

citdog
January 21st, 2007, 11:43 AM
jp, i believe that the LAST TIME your transfers and other mercs stepped on the field against Citadel Men you went home with an L. That's all that matters to me. Anything else i can clear up for u?

Baldy
January 21st, 2007, 11:51 AM
jp, i believe that the LAST TIME your transfers and other mercs stepped on the field against Citadel Men you went home with an L. That's all that matters to me. Anything else i can clear up for u?
yeah, how about clearing this up for me.
Why is it that the only time the Chitadel "Men" can beat GSU, is when GSU is having a down year? xlolx

seantaylor
January 21st, 2007, 11:57 AM
yeah, how about clearing this up for me.
Why is it that the only time the Chitadel "Men" can beat GSU, is when GSU is having a down year? xlolx

I'll clear that up. It's because Citadel is a garbage program.

citdog
January 21st, 2007, 12:01 PM
We had 14 down years in a row and you beat us some of those years. WE have a BETTER TEAM than you do right now, our WIN over you proved that. I also seem to recall beating you on your homecoming in that backwater little town you call home. GSU is done, you will NEVER get out of the bottom half of the Conference because that is where schools and fans of your ilk belong.

citdog
January 21st, 2007, 12:03 PM
I'll clear that up. It's because Citadel is a garbage program.

scoreboard my clayeating friend.

YesAppCan
January 21st, 2007, 12:28 PM
that espn article used Iaa instead of fcs :nono:
but is that really a surprise?

ESPN has 0, zero, nada, NO interest in FSC or 1-AA as they still refer to it. It's very obvious. A shame none the less.

Baldy
January 21st, 2007, 12:31 PM
We had 14 down years in a row and you beat us some of those years. WE have a BETTER TEAM than you do right now, our WIN over you proved that. I also seem to recall beating you on your homecoming in that backwater little town you call home. GSU is done, you will NEVER get out of the bottom half of the Conference because that is where schools and fans of your ilk belong.
Funny, I kinda remember you saying the same thing after your last fortunate win in 2003. If I remember correctly, the Chitadel "Men" took it in the rectum by 5 TD's in 2004 and 2005. You can prolly expect a return to normal in 2007. :nod:

Remember, there is a reason Cit has the lowest all-time winning percentage in the SoCon. Your team sucks. xlolx :thumbsup:

MplsBison
January 21st, 2007, 12:32 PM
ESPN has 0, zero, nada, NO interest in FSC or 1-AA as they still refer to it. It's very obvious. A shame none the less.

I don't think they choose to have low interest.

They have to sell advertising to make money.

redsoxfancollegeman
January 21st, 2007, 12:48 PM
Citdog,

Its funny how Citadel fans will say point to the scoreboard when they beat us by 3 points one year. So lets just do that, lets look at the score board.

2006: Citadel 24, GSU 21
2005: Citadel 14, GSU 49
2004: Citadel 7, GSU 42
2003: Citadel 28, GSU 24
2002: Citadel 24, GSU 28
2001: Citadel 6, GSU 14
2000: Citadel 10, GSU 27

Citadel has not had a winning season since 1997 where they went 6-5, the closest they came was a 6-6 season.

GSU leads the head to head matchup 11 - 3, the most Citadel has ever scored against GSU was 34 points, however GSU scored 51 that game and played for a National Championship that year. Citadel has won 2 Socon Championships, GSU has won 8. How many national championships has Citadel won? Oh thats right, shut the hell up.

I have always given props to the military schools who have to field teams by using just the players that choose to go to those schools, which usually is not the better athletes. But dont for one second think that because you beat us this past year (when we had option players running a spread offense) that it means you are a better program that us. Were you a better team this past year, yes, you won on the field. Will GSU probably hang 40+ on you guys next year or the year after, definitely. I understand you are proud of your team as well you should be because they do very well considering who they are comprised of, but you cannot call us the bottom of the conference when this is our first losing season since 1996.

So lets rehash, we have not had a losing season since 1996 and you have not had a winning one since 1997 and you think youre better than us? Hmmm...I guess that military brainwashing runs deep enough to ignore statistics.

ButlerGSU
January 21st, 2007, 01:04 PM

Beating an off year team by 3 does not mean you have better team. The home team is always given 3 points due to the crowd, well maybe not at the Citadel...

citdog
January 21st, 2007, 01:37 PM
AS I said in the previous post SCOREBOARD! For the next 8 months GSU and her legion of fans are bottom dwellers of the SoCon and must take the abuse that comes with that. When you take the field next season you will have an opportunity to get back where you once were. Until then.... YOU SUCK!

ButlerGSU
January 21st, 2007, 02:13 PM
AS I said in the previous post SCOREBOARD! For the next 8 months GSU and her legion of fans are bottom dwellers of the SoCon and must take the abuse that comes with that. When you take the field next season you will have an opportunity to get back where you once were. Until then.... YOU SUCK!

hahaha, right.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

phillyAPP
January 21st, 2007, 02:28 PM
Come on GSU fans - give CitDog a break, he is partying while he can.
Let the dog bark while he can, its what makes it fun.
We all know his hill is much harder to climb. They are having a little brother who pecks away at beating you and occationally has his day. We let him enjoy it till next time. The next time you win its back to same old thing. Someday APP may lose to THE CIT and I promise they will be able to brag.
Like The dog said "you've had your days to brag".

Welcome to THE ROCK
GO APPS,FIGHT APPS, KICK A** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laserlips
January 21st, 2007, 03:39 PM

citdog:

Let me see now.. Citadel had FOURTEEN down years in a row, right? And how many times in those FOURTEEN years were you beaten by GSU?

Looks like we have like, THIRTEEN down years to go before we get to being as sorry a team as you have already proven to be.....

You Sir, are as full of **** as a Christmas turkey.xidiotx

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

redsoxfancollegeman
January 21st, 2007, 03:56 PM
yes, georgia southern had a down year...believe it or not it happens. and if wofford or app st. or even furman fans want to take this time to shove that in our face, I can handle it. but what i cannot handle is fans from a school who is right next to us at the bottom talking $#it. had citadel even had a .500 record I could give them some credit, but they didnt. the point is that citadel is so unused to having anyone below them in the SoCon since VMI left that they have to take every shot they can. You guys wanna say you had a better team this year, Ill even concede that and say you did because you won. But in no way does that mean you should question the program that we have here. Did a lot of teams beat up on Nebraska when they abandoned the option...yes. Did anyone question the quality of their program...not outloud anyway. Same kind of story...you ignorant citadel fans who cant gloat respectfully need to get back in ranks, go run your eight miles for the day and go back to doin what you know best, polishing your roomates skin flute.

parr90
January 21st, 2007, 04:04 PM

I love it! A citadel guy talking smack.

citdog
January 21st, 2007, 04:21 PM
yes, georgia southern had a down year...believe it or not it happens. and if wofford or app st. or even furman fans want to take this time to shove that in our face, I can handle it. but what i cannot handle is fans from a school who is right next to us at the bottom talking $#it. had citadel even had a .500 record I could give them some credit, but they didnt. the point is that citadel is so unused to having anyone below them in the SoCon since VMI left that they have to take every shot they can. You guys wanna say you had a better team this year, Ill even concede that and say you did because you won. But in no way does that mean you should question the program that we have here. Did a lot of teams beat up on Nebraska when they abandoned the option...yes. Did anyone question the quality of their program...not outloud anyway. Same kind of story...you ignorant citadel fans who cant gloat respectfully need to get back in ranks, go run your eight miles for the day and go back to doin what you know best, polishing your roomates skin flute.

We were not next to you in the standings..... you were BELOW us.
We are used to having people below us...... YOU
As far as having a gloating problem....... your bretheren on this site have that market cornered.
You suck... until september of this year....... get used to it!

Parr it is quite fun!

ButlerGSU
January 21st, 2007, 04:25 PM
As far as having a gloating problem....... your bretheren on this site have that market cornered.

Parr it is quite fun!

This is so funny coming from a team that made the playoffs when? Had a winning record when? Keep try'n El Cid

bobbythekidd
January 21st, 2007, 04:32 PM

Parr it is quite fun!
True dat, citdog.
If you look at the standings, we will suck until September. Fine. We had a down year, we stumbled often. It will make the whipping you receive in October that much sweeter.
I said we suck, I told you your team will be whipped. Everyone is happy. Stop all this bickering or move it to the smack board. this thread is about Hatcher.:twocents:

Laserlips
January 21st, 2007, 04:43 PM
True dat, citdog.
If you look at the standings, we will suck until September. Fine. We had a down year, we stumbled often. It will make the whipping you receive in October that much sweeter.
I said we suck, I told you your team will be whipped. Everyone is happy. Stop all this bickering or move it to the smack board. this thread is about Hatcher.:twocents:

AND:

Speaking of Coach Hatcher...

You've gotta love it when he comments: "who says you can't win 'em all, somebody has to win ... It might as well be the Little Hatchman's team"...

I am so pleased with the absence of BVG and the presence of Coach Hatch that I could almost excuse the ignorance of Citdog...

Almost..:thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

citdog
January 21st, 2007, 04:54 PM
How am I ignorant? At least I haven't hired TWO COACHES in a row whose offensive system doesn't fit the athletes I have! That's ignorance!

See you at General Hagood this season, which will be quite different in appearance than your last visit.

bobbythekidd
January 21st, 2007, 05:03 PM
How am I ignorant? At least I haven't hired TWO COACHES in a row whose offensive system doesn't fit the athletes I have! That's ignorance!

See you at General Hagood this season, which will be quite different in appearance than your last visit.
Won't that be an away game for you?

bobbythekidd
January 21st, 2007, 05:05 PM
oh, I don't think Hatcher is a bad hire. If you knew enough about him, I bet you would agree.

Baldy
January 21st, 2007, 05:30 PM
Won't that be an away game for you?
Yes.
Again, excuse his ignorance. xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 21st, 2007, 05:42 PM
2003: Citadel 28, GSU 24

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Don't remind me of that game!!

citdog
January 21st, 2007, 06:31 PM