PDA

View Full Version : Bailiff Leaves TxSt for Rice

TexasTerror
January 18th, 2007, 05:44 PM
KRIV-TV in Houston is reporting Bailiff as the new HC for the Rice Owls...

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=2105061&version=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

Great news for Rice!

Bailiff is a great coach on the field and more importantly, off the field. Off the field, he has completely turned around the GPA of football players in San Marcos and has made a solid commitment to academics.

Off the field, he has shown a commitment to the city of San Marcos and to the university itself. He has made huge strides in bringing more folks in the community into the fold as part of the Bobcat fan base.

Bailiff will have a solid core of players to work with and I think these guys will buy into his system. Great news for Rice!

Now the search for a coach turns to Texas State...

Mr. C
January 18th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Wow. Bad news for the Bobcats. He had done a lot to get Texas State heading in the right direction.

Hey, David, let's play for overtime.
:D xlolx :nod:

TxState_GO_CATS!
January 18th, 2007, 05:53 PM
sad day for Bobcat fans...Coach Bailiff was a great coach.

best of luck to him.

now who do we turn to?

blackfordpu
January 18th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Oh no bobcats, whatever will you do now?

TexasTerror
January 18th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Bobcat fans are responding...

Lots of blame put on the administration. Would like to know why this is the case? I better not hear more talk of FBS...

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11386

Spooney-Cat
January 18th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Sad Day in Bobcatland. Well, let the search commence. The new coach will have some shoes to fill, as TT accurately pointed out, he has done a lot to turn this community around!

TexasTerror
January 18th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I'm very curious to see how this impacts their program...

What coordinators and coaches are going to leave with Bailiff? Rice needs a whole staff outside of a few guys that stayed with the Owls after Todd Graham took all of his staff save a few and Major Applewhite left...

TexasTerror
January 18th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Houston Chronicle article is posted here...

It'll probably continually be updated as more information becomes available...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4481423.html

bobcatfan06
January 18th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Bailiff was promised that he would get summer scholarships, pay raises for his asst. coaches, better facilities, etc. to possibly go to I-A. Bailiff wanted to take us to the next level and he was never given any of the above. He was flat out lied to about everything when he was hired and he was tired of f'ing with the administration. Texas State is f'ed as long as we keep our current AD and pResident.

TexasTerror
January 18th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Rice University has announced a press conference for 11 AM tomorrow (Friday) morning...

slycat
January 18th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Bobcat fans are responding...

Lots of blame put on the administration. Would like to know why this is the case? I better not hear more talk of FBS...

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11386

some of our fans always blame the administration. maybe he didnt get a few things he was promised but he was one of the top paid FCS coaches. the way i see it is he would a have left anyway since rice is paying him 500K and we were paying 150K.

best of luck to him he will be missed. he was oen of the best coaches we ever had.

im just curious to see who we get next. i'd like a promotion withen. ACU and West Texas A&M have been improving and their coaches might not be bad to get. or how about Sewak from GSU? (unless he only knows the triple option, in that case no thanks.)

slycat
January 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I'm very curious to see how this impacts their program...

What coordinators and coaches are going to leave with Bailiff? Rice needs a whole staff outside of a few guys that stayed with the Owls after Todd Graham took all of his staff save a few and Major Applewhite left...

this is what worries me the most. that and the fact that signing day is weeks away.

Sam_Kats
January 18th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Baliff leaving HAS to affect recruiting...if he had brought me in, I would think about my other options. Boy, that has to be a great feeling to get a $350k raise!?!

My wife would be GOING BONKERS!!!:nod:

bobbythekidd
January 18th, 2007, 07:54 PM
some of our fans always blame the administration. maybe he didnt get a few things he was promised but he was one of the top paid FCS coaches. the way i see it is he would a have left anyway since rice is paying him 500K and we were paying 150K.

best of luck to him he will be missed. he was oen of the best coaches we ever had.

im just curious to see who we get next. i'd like a promotion withen. ACU and West Texas A&M have been improving and their coaches might not be bad to get. or how about Sewak from GSU? (unless he only knows the triple option, in that case no thanks.)
I started to post a response, but I better not.

I will say this, Welcome to the the world of overly high expectations.:nod:

Hope you promote from within. If Baliff leaves a playbook around and "new coach" gets an awesome QB, ya'll will be fine.

ButlerGSU
January 18th, 2007, 08:13 PM

Hope you promote from within. If Baliff leaves a playbook around and "new coach" gets an awesome QB, ya'll will be fine.

PLEASE HIRE SEWAK! (Then we don't have to pay him anymore xlolx xlolx xlolx )

bobbythekidd
January 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM
PLEASE HIRE SEWAK! (Then we don't have to pay him anymore xlolx xlolx xlolx )
He is getting a paycheck and a masters degree, courtesy of GSU. Why would he want to leave and do a job? I do suspect the eye candy in Texas is close to that of GSU.:eek: :eek:
Might be AN OPTION.

ngineer
January 18th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I think all the Texas State fans should calm down....and take a knee...;)

slycat
January 18th, 2007, 09:00 PM

this is what i would rather see. we have a great young qb with 3 years left so im not worried about that.

slycat
January 18th, 2007, 09:00 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :rotateh: :rotateh:

ButlerGSU
January 18th, 2007, 09:12 PM

Hahahaha, that could be the Smart A$$ line of the year! I love it!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

TexasTerror
January 18th, 2007, 09:24 PM
From the Statesman

HOUSTON — Texas State coach David Bailiff told his players Thursday night that he had accepted the head coaching job at Rice.

"We hate the fact that we are losing him, but we want our people to be successful and this is a wonderful opportunity for David. We wish him all the success in the world," Texas State President Denise M. Trauth said in a news release.

Rice scheduled a news conference for Friday morning, but wouldn't say who had been named coach.

The Owls were left scrambling a week ago when Todd Graham bolted for Tulsa after one season. Graham left just three days after signing a contract extension to stay at Rice.

Bailiff, 48, led the Bobcats to a 21-15 record in three seasons. Texas State won its first Southland Conference championship in 2005 and reached the Division I-AA national semifinals. The Bobcats went 5-6 in 2006.

Bailiff was in Houston on Thursday and then returned to San Marcos to meet with his players and athletic director Larry Teis, Texas State sports information director Ron Mears said.

"That a school like Rice University would hire David is a great compliment not only to him, but also to Texas State," Trauth said.

Teis said Bailiff made sure the university would work to continue the football program's success.

"He pointed us in a new direction, and now it is time for us to continue in that direction," Teis said.

Teis named assistant head coach Brad Wright as interim coach.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/gen/ap/FBC_Rice_Coach.html

MACHIAVELLI
January 18th, 2007, 11:30 PM

flatline ^^^___________________ xlolx

Bison_Kent
January 19th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Here is the official statement from Texas State on Bailiff's resignation.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=83195

I am sorry to see him go too but this is the nature of the coaching.

BearsCountry
January 19th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I know Bailiff's wife family. They are all from my hometown.

jmuroller
January 19th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Rice is a tough job. Good luck to him!

Spooney-Cat
January 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Classic! Nice ngineer. (Although that still haunts me). :bang:

henfan
January 19th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Man, this sucks! :mad: This is a big loss for the FCS.

Hopefully, TSU can backfill the job with some approaching Baliff's considerable abilities. Good luck.

Sly Fox
January 19th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Rice is a tough job. Good luck to him!

The 2006 season proved it wasn't as tough as most everyone thought.

TexasTerror
January 19th, 2007, 03:28 PM
UH (and their buddies at Lamar) are badmouthing this move...

Everyone badmouthed the folks at UH when they brought in Art Briles.

Cougar High and Cougar Middle never change...

Sly Fox
January 19th, 2007, 03:31 PM
This was not even a popular move on the Rice board (http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/cusa/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=29&sid=6cc0fe0808dd0ccf19ca4e11ad66e281).

Any candidates emerging in San Marcos? Dare I suggest Ron Schroeder? :D

bobcatfan06
January 19th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Brad Franchione, Don Carthel are two names I have heard been flung around. Mike Schultz (asst. at TCU) is my pick. If not him Don Carthel. I don't want any part of the Franchione clan.

bobcatfan06
January 19th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Holy crap, I don't know what happened there. Mods you can delete all those. I'm sorry, stupid internet.

bison95
January 19th, 2007, 04:09 PM
I just **** myself:nod: xlolx

TexasTerror
January 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Brad Franchione, Don Carthel are two names I have heard been flung around. Mike Schultz (asst. at TCU) is my pick. If not him Don Carthel. I don't want any part of the Franchione clan.

Mike Schultz was my preferred pick for the Kats head coaching job...:thumbsup:

TexasTerror
January 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM
This was not even a popular move on the Rice board (http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/cusa/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=29&sid=6cc0fe0808dd0ccf19ca4e11ad66e281).

Things are turning around. Seems people are buying into Bailiff after hearing him talk. Del Conte and Bailiff sure said a lot of things that seemed to be Todd Graham-related...

I've always lurked the Rice board and they are an interesting bunch compared to other boards...

slycat
January 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM

sounds good to me. franchione may only be good in that his name may bring in some recruits and maybe we could steal some juco transfers from blinn. schultz and carthel are at the top of my list though.

txstatebobcat
January 19th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Mike Schultz was my preferred pick for the Kats head coaching job...:thumbsup:

did he apply for the Kats job? Just curious because his name is being thrown around at bobcatfans.com, and I'm not sure if that's just wishfull thinking on someone's part.

Reed Rothchild
January 19th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Goodbye Baliff, thanks for playing for OT