PDA

View Full Version : Is there a better RB in FCS than JMU's Abdullah?

PantherRob82
December 17th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Every time I watch him I am very impressed. Too bad he didn't make the final 3 for the Payton.

mcveyrl
December 17th, 2016, 11:54 AM
His only offer was JMU. JMU Sports did a good feature on him leading up to the SHSU game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chattownmocs
December 17th, 2016, 12:37 PM
He looked like an NFL starter to me.

ST_Lawson
December 17th, 2016, 01:36 PM
The new "Beast Mode"?....looked like it to me. NDSU had been known to be somewhat vulnerable to a big passing game at times, but they had one of the best run defenses out there and he went and did that....crazy. I know that NDSU had a few guys out due to injury, but still...very impressive.

BisonTru
December 17th, 2016, 01:38 PM
The only running back I've seen us struggle this hard to bring down was David Johnson, and he's doing pretty well in AZ.

alexale23
December 17th, 2016, 01:50 PM
The credit needs to go to the offensive line too....in the press conference Abdullah said his momma could have run through some of the holes.. he rarely went down on first contact... but really there where some large holes made possible by the O line

Longhorn
December 17th, 2016, 01:56 PM
A 5'11" and 220 RB with good feet, serviceable speed, and strong base...defenders do not trip him or take him down with arm tackles...and you've described Abdullah. He's also a good blocker and pass catcher. I think he'll get a serious shot at playing at the next level. He's poised to break the JMU single-season rushing record set by Curtis Keeton who was a 4th round draftee. Keeton had world class speed (fastest rookie as timed in the Combine), but I think Abdullah may be a better all-round RB.

Bisonator
December 17th, 2016, 02:10 PM
He's a very good back. Best back we've faced since David Johnson. Great vision and cut ability. Strong runner for his size and good speed. Not sure how he is as a receiver or in pass protection but he looked pretty good in the few plays I saw last night. Should have a great shot at a camp invite at the very least. Is he playing in any post season bowl games or all star games?

Longhorn
December 17th, 2016, 02:43 PM
He's a very good back. Best back we've faced since David Johnson. Great vision and cut ability. Strong runner for his size and good speed. Not sure how he is as a receiver or in pass protection but he looked pretty good in the few plays I saw last night. Should have a great shot at a camp invite at the very least. Is he playing in any post season bowl games or all star games?

Too early to know about post-season bowl invites, but he's deserving. I won't be surprised if he gets invited to a camp...the way he's played I might be more surprised if he's not a late draft selection.

Sadly, there is a bias against FCS skill players in the NFL because of questions about their level of competition. It often seems the FCS guys have to be "extra good" just to open NFL coaches eyes. As a recent example, I'm thinking about JMU's WR Daniel Brown who was not drafted, but he made the Ravens roster after being invited to camp, only to be left exposed as the Ravens kept bouncing Brown between the active roster and practice squad. The Bears grabbed him last time the Ravens pulled that stunt, and now it looks like Daniel has finally found a home. As a fan of FCS level FB it's frustrating that FCS players are often seen as "D2" talent, and I think it hurts the public's appreciation of the FCS game.

caribbeanhen
December 17th, 2016, 03:07 PM
The credit needs to go to the offensive line too....in the press conference Abdullah said his momma could have run through some of the holes.. he rarely went down on first contact... but really there where some large holes made possible by the O line

no doubt Abdullah looked like a superstar last night but I also give credit to the little timing disruptions and quick direction changes on those handoffs...it just takes an eyelash to spring a good RB. it's a perfect combination of timing and a very talented RB ..... coaching staff at JMU is a good one... Also on the TD run that was called back, he put on a burst of Southern speed.... real southern speed that just jumps out ...

No_Skill
December 17th, 2016, 03:29 PM
His vision and cutting are what impressed me the most. Very talented player.

Gil Dobie
December 17th, 2016, 03:53 PM
no doubt Abdullah looked like a superstar last night but I also give credit to the little timing disruptions and quick direction changes on those handoffs...it just takes an eyelash to spring a good RB. it's a perfect combination of timing and a very talented RB ..... coaching staff at JMU is a good one... Also on the TD run that was called back, he put on a burst of Southern speed.... real southern speed that just jumps out ...

He was fast, Allison caught him on the one break away. Allison ran a 10.73 100 M in Nebraska in HS and won state.

caribbeanhen
December 17th, 2016, 04:01 PM
He was fast, Allison caught him on the one break away. Allison ran a 10.73 100 M in Nebraska in HS and won state.

I noticed that... the play I was talking about was more of a quick 30 yard burst where Abdullah really went from zero to 50 pretty darn quick, but the play you mention where Allison caught him was very impressive... Franz Klamer down hill speed ....

geaux_sioux
December 17th, 2016, 04:23 PM
He was a really impressive player but nobody stood out as much as 68....

Twentysix
December 17th, 2016, 04:54 PM
He was really good. We shall see if he has an NFL career ahead of him.

Terry2889
December 17th, 2016, 09:06 PM

I ran a 10.73 in NJ and came in third in my high school's conference : ( True story....

ysubigred
December 17th, 2016, 10:42 PM
I ran a 10.73 in NJ and came in third in my high school's conference : ( True story....

WOW! I banged two chic's at one time xlolx

Bison56
December 17th, 2016, 11:34 PM
WOW! I banged two chic's at one time xlolx

But did you do it in high school?xlolx

ASU33
December 18th, 2016, 01:25 AM
I would say no. There are a few that's close but he's definitely #1 in my opinion.

Dukie95
December 18th, 2016, 05:57 AM
Previous coach put all his eggs in the Vad Lee basket and ignored all the other important team components like running racks, the backup QB and the defense.

I think two years of under use kept him off anyone's radar for the Payton.

PurpleStreamers
December 18th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Every time I watch him I am very impressed. Too bad he didn't make the final 3 for the Payton.

It's weird, but his stats weren't gaudy enough. Until two weeks ago, JMU's backup RB Cardon Johnson was really 1B to 'Dullah's 1A (and believe it or not faster), but he had been battling an Achilles injury and they finally had to sit him. They've been RBBC for a couple years now and while it hurt Abdullah's attempt to set records and win awards, it sure kept him fresh for this run and hopefully a pro career.

December 18th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Always a hard judgment to make as to the best RB. 1/2 of what a RB is successful at is because of their "O" line. Is he very good no doubt. Is the "O" line very good at opening up holes for him no doubt. Which is first the chicken or the egg??