PDA

View Full Version : SoCon shakeups

Catamount87
December 15th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Two teams will have new head coaches, Furman and UTC. WCU has a new defensive coordinator, John Wily. Oddly enough, Mercer's Bobby Lamb is on at least one published list for the UTC job. It sure looks like the SoCon is headed for another shakeup year in 2017!

catamount man
December 15th, 2016, 07:10 PM
Wiley in Cullowhee should help the defense ten fold. GO CATS!!!

BearDownMU
December 15th, 2016, 07:43 PM
I have no inside information, but I'd be floored if CBL left Mercer for UTC.

UCMoc
December 15th, 2016, 07:48 PM
That was one of the most surprising names on the list. I'd be pretty shocked if there were even discussions there. It seems odd for both sides.

citdog
December 15th, 2016, 08:47 PM

Lamb to vermin!!!!

furman sucks

PaladinFan
December 15th, 2016, 08:50 PM
SI writer is reporting that Furman is going to name Des Kitchings head coach.

No idea who the writer is, or who the source is, but take it for what it is worth.

Smitty
December 16th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Does UTC have anybody internal that would be considered or are they all going with Huesman?

Mocs123
December 16th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Jeff Durden our OC and Rusty Wright our LB coach are interviewing today. IMO - Durden is a legitimate candidate, and has also interviewed for the Lafayette HC job, and will follow Huesman to Richmond if he doesn't get either job. He also interviewed for the VMI HC job a year or two ago.

Rusty Wright - to me, would be a hard sell going from one of our position coaches to the HC job. He is a "Chattanooga" guy though. Rusty has accepted the LB coaching job at Georgia State if he doesn't get the HC job and will not follow Huesman to Richmond.

Per sources - Huesman will be taking 4-5 assistants with him. I am not sure who though, but I assume DC Bratherite(sp) is a given.

moccasinjoe
December 16th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Does UTC have anybody internal that would be considered or are they all going with Huesman?

My understanding is that Jeff Durden (Offensive Co) and Rusty Wright (Linebacker Coach) were being interviewed today.

PaladinFan
December 16th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Furman scuttlbut appears to suggest that Kitchings verbally accepted the position and then backed out this morning.

My guess is NC State showed up with some dead presidents.

utcfan
December 16th, 2016, 12:39 PM
112/15/16"Chattanooga: The Times Free Press reports Chattanooga hasn’t held any interviews with candidates yet, but a hire could happen as soon as Sunday. Interviews will begin on Friday, with current aessistants Jeff Durden and Rusty Wright going first.

12/16/16
Chattanooga: According to the Times Free Press, offensive coordinator Jeff Durden, linebackers coach Rusty Wright and Charleston Southern head coach Jamey Chadwell will interview for the Chattanooga head coaching job today.<br /

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-tickerPress reports Chattanooga hasn’t held any interviews with candidates yet, but a hire could happen as soon as Sunday. Interviews will begin on Friday, with current assistants Jeff Durden and Rusty Wright going first."

12/16/16
Chattanooga

citdog
December 16th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Furman scuttlbut appears to suggest that Kitchings verbally accepted the position and then backed out this morning.

https://images.vcoins.com/product_image/56/B/6/Bt9nayE57qJLH4gN2CSoD6b38xWAZ3.jpg

Sycamore62
December 16th, 2016, 04:46 PM

Here's a theory. Our new AD is a former Asst AD at NC State and our job just came open "last night" but officially today at 4pm

Sycamore62
December 16th, 2016, 04:51 PM
What would Furman pay? ISUb would prolly be in the mid 200k. it would also go a long way in Indiana

PaladinNation
December 16th, 2016, 07:40 PM
What would Furman pay? ISUb would prolly be in the mid 200k. it would also go a long way in Indiana

Des was making 291k at NCST my guess is he's now making more. Appears the thought of Des leaving caused some concern with the Wolfpack faithful.

All that being said looks like the right man is now actually being offered the job… Clay Hendrix.

I've heard every rumour you can imagine. That Des wasn't offered -- That Furman was leaning towards him -- That there was a verbal agreement…who the hell knows.

If I had to guess Furman is paying between 250 - 270k.

mmiller_34
December 16th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Oops. Wrong thread.

Not sure how I got here.. uh.. I concur that Furman would probably out pay Indiana State for a couch.

Milktruck74
December 16th, 2016, 08:26 PM
One thing that UTC has going for is no state income tax. It doesn't seem like much until you start talking $250-300k salaries.....that is $20-25k take home....or $2,000 a month for your wife to spend....

PaladinFan
December 16th, 2016, 09:48 PM
Looks like Clay Hendrix will be the man at Furman. I think a really strong hire for the Paladins. Will have to await the official announcement, though

kdinva
December 18th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Wofford's Def. Coord, is taking the same position at Ga. State......

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Mocs123
December 18th, 2016, 11:08 AM
That may hurt as Woffords D was fantastic this year.

citdog
December 18th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Wofford's Def. Coord, is taking the same position at Ga. State......

Guys don't usually leave Wofford. Perhaps NotsoYounganymoreTerrier or Dungeon Joe can elaborate...

The Cats
December 18th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Guys don't usually leave Wofford. Perhaps NotsoYounganymoreTerrier or Dungeon Joe can elaborate...

Appy State did steal their DC away a few years back.

Reign of Terrier
December 18th, 2016, 12:27 PM

We don't pay our coaches enough by virtue of being a small school. Loyalty and consistency with coaches is what gets us where we are but our defensive coaches have just been depleted in recent years.

PaladinFan
December 19th, 2016, 05:31 AM
Furman holds a press conference today at 1:00 announcing new head coach.

No reports from Furman, but all sources seem to indicate it will be Air Force's Clay Hendrix.

walliver
December 19th, 2016, 08:17 AM

One problem with a long-term stable coaching staff is that there is no way to advance. Coordinators can't advance to head coach, position coaches can't advance to coordinator.
Nate Woody left for Appy because they doubled his salary. His successor left after one year for personal reasons. Fuqua probably got a big pay raise, and a chance to move up to head coach in a few years. I worry about some of our offensive position coaches because our OC is going anywhere and they are trapped where they are.

Unfortunately, Mike Ayers is human and will likely retire in the next few years. Maybe we can lure Fuqua back for HC when that happens.

kdinva
December 19th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Furman holds a press conference today at 1:00 announcing new head coach.

No reports from Furman, but all sources seem to indicate it will be Air Force's Clay Hendrix.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

looks to be Hendrix......will he bring the option to Furple?

FUBeAR
December 19th, 2016, 09:31 AM

looks to be Hendrix......will he bring the option to Furple?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVIWoDJwK38

PaladinFan
December 19th, 2016, 10:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVIWoDJwK38

I expect an offensive system akin to what Furman ran 15 years ago. Paladins already have personnel that should fit the scheme - dual threat QBs, stable of running backs, and a lot of returning starters on the OL.

I noted on our forum, but I am excited to see any run heavy offensive scheme featuring PJ Blazejowski, Darius Morehead, and Thomas Gordon. All three of those guys can scoot.

PaladinFan
December 19th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Furman live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDA7bM02FdU&feature=em-lss

CID1990
December 19th, 2016, 01:13 PM
firmun sucks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
December 19th, 2016, 01:18 PM
firmun sucks

Less so today than yesterday.

PurpleStreamers
December 19th, 2016, 01:48 PM
The SoCon is one run-heavy league. Just a tough row to hoe.

walliver
December 19th, 2016, 06:05 PM
The SoCon is one run-heavy league. Just a tough row to hoe.

And then there's Samford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mocs123
December 19th, 2016, 06:26 PM
And then there's Samford.

And VMI

PaladinFan
December 19th, 2016, 06:51 PM
And VMI

Be interested to know if those two teams change it up a bit.

With most other conference team heavy in the running game, you'd think they'd have to give their defense something other to look at it in practice.

PaladinNation
December 19th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Be interested to know if those two teams change it up a bit.

With most other conference team heavy in the running game, you'd think they'd have to give their defense something other to look at it in practice.

I loved what Coach Hendrix said today… we wll run the ball, and we'll throw it too. We will be a multi-offense and have fun.

PaladinFan
December 20th, 2016, 06:34 AM
I loved what Coach Hendrix said today… we wll run the ball, and we'll throw it too. We will be a multi-offense and have fun.

Watching Air Force highlights, the Falcons essentially run what Furman used to run with a bit more option thrown in.

I expect Furman to do on offense what we used to do - throw it 15ish times a game and just beat the crap out of you on the ground. I do not know why we ever went away from that formula.

PaladinNation
December 20th, 2016, 06:50 AM
Watching Air Force highlights, the Falcons essentially run what Furman used to run with a bit more option thrown in.

I expect Furman to do on offense what we used to do - throw it 15ish times a game and just beat the crap out of you on the ground. I do not know why we ever went away from that formula.

My guess is after Coach Johnson left we became an offense similar to playing football on XBox. IMO Furman hasn't had an offensive identity since CBJ left for Vandy.

Catamount87
December 20th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Hmm, an interesting pick over in Chattanooga. What do y'all think?

UCMoc
December 20th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Hmm, an interesting pick over in Chattanooga. What do y'all think?

It's either brilliant or idiotic. Time will tell. I trust our AD as he has consistently made very good hires.

walliver
December 20th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Be interested to know if those two teams [VMI and Samford] change it up a bit.

With most other conference team heavy in the running game, you'd think they'd have to give their defense something other to look at it in practice.I've read that Cobb is not coming back next year, so I wonder if VMI adjusts their offense.

Mocs123
December 20th, 2016, 08:36 AM
I've read that Cobb is not coming back next year, so I wonder if VMI adjusts their offense.

Really? Is he going to transfer somewhere or is he hanging up the cleats?

The do have a Hodges on thier roster and we know what those guys can do.

Catamount87
December 20th, 2016, 09:38 AM
It's either brilliant or idiotic. Time will tell. I trust our AD as he has consistently made very good hires.

It'll be interesting to see who he brings aboard on his staff.

Catamount87
December 20th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Really? Is he going to transfer somewhere or is he hanging up the cleats?

The do have a Hodges on thier roster and we know what those guys can do.

Hanging up the cleats it appears. http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/vmi-qb-cobb-decides-to-forgo-final-year-of-eligibility/article_a98061e6-9cc2-51c0-9033-0fafdd8549f1.html

PaladinFan
December 20th, 2016, 09:46 AM
I've read that Cobb is not coming back next year, so I wonder if VMI adjusts their offense.

There's a risk in being so dependent on a single player, I think. Player may be a great one, but at some point, he's going to go do something else.

Good luck to him.

PaladinFan
December 20th, 2016, 09:54 AM
My guess is after Coach Johnson left we became an offense similar to playing football on XBox. IMO Furman hasn't had an offensive identity since CBJ left for Vandy.

It'd be an interesting autopsy.

Of note, when Hendrix mentioned at the press conference that he was going to focus on the running game, he was met with a round of applause from those in attendance. I get the feeling Furman's time wandering in the wilderness will soon be at a close.

UCMoc
December 20th, 2016, 10:58 AM
It'll be interesting to see who he brings aboard on his staff.

So far we know he is bringing his DC and a few others.

TTUEagles
December 20th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Good get by Furman to bring in Quarles as OC - if nothing else, should be a huge recruiting help.

PaladinFan
December 20th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Good get by Furman to bring in Quarles as OC - if nothing else, should be a huge recruiting help.

Nothing official from the University, but looking like Furman will bring in George Quarles as offensive coordinator. I understand more wins than any high school coach in the country the last 10 years. Also gives Furman an instant foothold in Tennessee.

Hard to dislike what Furman is doing right now.

CID1990
December 20th, 2016, 11:48 AM
On the El Cid front, nothing to report.

citdog
December 20th, 2016, 11:56 AM

No it's not.

PaladinNation
December 20th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Coach Hendix wasn't kidding about future Furman offenses… George Quarles is a big time get. And if rumors are correct more to come.

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Article/Maryville-High-Schools-George-Quarles-owner-of-state-and-nationa-49926769

Mocs123
December 20th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Maryville (and nearby Alcoa) are TN HS powerhouses.

PurpleStreamers
December 20th, 2016, 04:37 PM
So former SoCon news but not sure it's worthy of its own thread, the Elon HC Skrosky just quit to go be an assistant at FIU. Another chance for Chadwell? Mickey?

Milktruck74
December 20th, 2016, 05:09 PM
Mickey maybe....but two schools passed on Chadwell last week, I think the best thing he can do is go back to CSU and win a bunch of games next year. As teams pass, it starts to make others wonder whats up.

OL FU
December 20th, 2016, 07:25 PM
No it's not.

As a lover of. History you should know the citadel has about two maybe Three more good years

catamount man
December 20th, 2016, 08:06 PM
New WCU defensive coordinator John Wiley will be replacing Chris Collins who took a position on Scott Satterfield's staff at Georgia State.

FUBeAR
December 21st, 2016, 01:06 AM
New WCU defensive coordinator John Wiley will be replacing Chris Collins who took a position on Scott Satterfield's staff at Georgia State.

This is a bit confusing...

I think what you are saying is "New WCU Defensive Coordinator, John Wiley, will also be Coaching the Linebackers position at WCU, replacing Chris Collins, who just took a position on Shawn Elliott's staff at Georgia State."

Correct?

Also - former Furman and Newberry Player, Josh Stepp, will be joining Elliott's staff Coaching TE's & RB's at Georgia State. Josh Stepp has been the Head Football Coach and AD at Lexington HS in Lexington, SC. His twin brother, former Furman Player, Justin Stepp, is the Receivers Coach at SMU, under former Clemson OC, Chad Morris.

FUBeAR
December 21st, 2016, 01:08 AM
No it's not.

Seems like something is missing from this post...

catamount man
December 21st, 2016, 06:23 AM
Yeah that didn't sound right. WCU will be replacing Chris Collins. I assume JW will have a say but I could be wrong. Thanks for pointing my error out.

PaladinFan
December 21st, 2016, 10:48 AM
Furman announces Drew Cronic will be the new offensive coordinator and QBs coach.

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2016-17/releases/20161221hb7z7w

In my view, Furman has made three stellar hires already. Cronic just coming off a 22-3 record as HC of NAIA Reinhardt.

FUBeAR
December 21st, 2016, 11:31 AM
Furman announces Drew Cronic will be the new offensive coordinator and QBs coach.

http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2016-17/releases/20161221hb7z7w

In my view, Furman has made three stellar hires already. Cronic just coming off a 22-3 record as HC of NAIA Reinhardt.

That is all...

Mocdaddy
December 21st, 2016, 11:55 AM
What happened to George Quarles as Furman's OC?

PaladinFan
December 21st, 2016, 12:10 PM
What happened to George Quarles as Furman's OC?

Been some confusion on that.

All reports are that Quarles is coming to Furman. Seems his role will be position coach and assistant head coach.

My guess is Cronic will coach the QBs. Quarles will probably handle the running backs. Signs also appear to indicate that Brian Bratton will remain on staff, and I presume he will be back coaching WRs.

FUBeAR
December 21st, 2016, 12:45 PM
Been some confusion on that.

All reports are that Quarles is coming to Furman. Seems his role will be position coach and assistant head coach.

My guess is Cronic will coach the QBs.

You are PSYCHIC!

http://furmanpaladins.com/information/directory/Cronic_Drew?view=bio

"Drew Cronic is in his first season as the Paladins’ offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach."

PaladinFan
December 21st, 2016, 01:02 PM
My "guess" is the entire paragraph, which you edited.

The Cats
December 21st, 2016, 03:39 PM
I say congrats to both Furman and Chattanooga on your new hires. I hope they work out great, just not too great.

PaladinNation
December 22nd, 2016, 07:24 AM
To our SoCon brothers… you'll have to pardon us Paladins, it's been a long, long time since we've felt a real of hope of a path to getting back to consistantly playing for the SoCon championship.

Still there is no guarantee that all the news of this week will spark success in TR, but at least it appears the school is giving it its best shot. The hiring of Clay Hendrix has already won one battle, its shown the school the importance of football at Furman.

citdog
December 22nd, 2016, 11:20 AM
furman sucks

kdinva
January 4th, 2017, 01:43 PM
Mercer loses Def. assistant to Presby:

Presbyterian (FCS – SC): Per source, Mercer safeties coach / co-special teams coordinator Mitch Doolittle is joining the staff as defensive coordinator.

catamount man
January 4th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Mercer loses Def. assistant to Presby:

Presbyterian (FCS – SC): Per source, Mercer safeties coach / co-special teams coordinator Mitch Doolittle is joining the staff as defensive coordinator. Clearly for the promotion only. No offense to any PC fans.

Libertine
January 4th, 2017, 11:39 PM
Clearly for the promotion only. No offense to any PC fans.

It's probably just as much personal as it is a promotion. Doolittle is a PC alum who played for new (again) PC head coach Tommy Spangler during Spangler's first stint in Clinton.

catamount man
January 5th, 2017, 07:15 PM
It's probably just as much personal as it is a promotion. Doolittle is a PC alum who played for new (again) PC head coach Tommy Spangler during Spangler's first stint in Clinton. Yeah, the kid from Ninety Six, SC. I thought that name rang a bell.

Reign of Terrier
January 6th, 2017, 08:12 PM
Wofford promoted in-house for our new DC, Shiel Wood.

That's how we do it until we one day soon run out of in house staff which is looking more likely than it did 5 years ago

catamount man
January 7th, 2017, 06:49 AM
Wofford promoted in-house for our new DC, Shiel Wood.

That's how we do it until we one day soon run out of in house staff which is looking more likely than it did 5 years ago

Rumor has it that 2017 will be Ayer's swan song. If so, he deserves all the best of a good retirement. That is one man who has always held himself and his team to the best of standards and the Southern Conference will more than miss him.

FUBeAR
January 7th, 2017, 12:47 PM
Unconfirmed...but..."VMI offensive line coach Gordie Sammis has accepted the offensive line job at Lafayette. Sammis spent the last two years at VMI."

While the VMI program has definitely been on an upswing the past 2 years, I didn't see the OL making the same type of progress that other position groups had. Whether this was due to the existing talent level and/or the longer 'learning curve' typically associated with OLine OR to Coaching, I don't know...but this may NOT be a bad thing for VMI...depending on the quality of the replacement hired.

ETSUfan1
January 8th, 2017, 06:56 AM
ETSU OL Coach Losey to Southern Miss. Great coach...will be missed.

kdinva
January 11th, 2017, 10:00 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C12ortXWEAEyPvH.jpg

xdrunkyx

PaladinNation
January 11th, 2017, 04:17 PM
Welcome to the SoCon Chad Staggs… Furman gets it's new DC.
http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2016-17/releases/20170111kkw04h

PaladinFan
January 11th, 2017, 07:56 PM
Welcome to the SoCon Chad Staggs… Furman gets it's new DC.
http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2016-17/releases/20170111kkw04h

Football scoop also reporting that Charleston Southern DL coach Skylor Magee likely to join him.

walliver
January 11th, 2017, 10:43 PM
Will there be anybody left to coach in North Charleston?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

kdinva
January 12th, 2017, 10:11 AM

CitDog says he'll volunteer! xtroublex

citdog
January 12th, 2017, 10:27 AM
CitDog says he'll volunteer! xtroublex

https://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_460w/Boston/2011-2020/2013/02/22/BostonGlobe.com/Travel/Images/16CHARLESTON[1].png

If it isn't betwixt the Ashley and the Cooper I ain't interested.

I also don't love the Jewish Carpenter enough.

OL FU
January 12th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Ashley and the Coopahxcoolx

walliver
January 12th, 2017, 06:22 PM
Ashley and the CoopahxcoolxThe two rivers that come together to form the Atlantic Ocean.

OL FU
January 14th, 2017, 07:03 AM
The two rivers that come together to form the Atlantic Ocean.

OK so I repped you on the wrong post. It was supposed to be this one:D

One of South Carolina's many claims to fame.

ElCid
January 14th, 2017, 11:03 AM
Ashley and the Coopahxcoolx

After I was married, me and my wife, from Charleston, named our first cat and dog Copper and Ashley....true story.

catamount man
January 15th, 2017, 08:27 PM
I wonder if the cadets still crash CofC's Roach-a-thon and get drunk and eat the roaches? They were in the late 80s that much I know of.

kdinva
January 18th, 2017, 10:22 AM
One more, from N. Charleston to Greenville:

Furman (FCS): Rod Wilson has joined the staff and will coach the linebackers. Wilson coached the inside linebackers at Charleston Southern (FCS) the past few seasons.

Libertine
January 18th, 2017, 12:31 PM

Furman (FCS): Rod Wilson has joined the staff and will coach the linebackers. Wilson coached the inside linebackers at Charleston Southern (FCS) the past few seasons.

CoachingSearch.com says Wilson turned down the DC job at CSU to move to Furman.

BullDog85
January 18th, 2017, 07:09 PM
CoachingSearch.com says Wilson turned down the DC job at CSU to move to Furman. The rats are jumping the ship.

PaladinFan
January 18th, 2017, 09:09 PM

Furman quietly building a pretty impressive staff.

Charleston Southern has sported one of the nation's best defenses the past few years, and Furman has raided just about every coach they had on that side of the ball.

citdog
January 18th, 2017, 11:48 PM
furman sucks

PaladinFan
January 19th, 2017, 05:10 AM
furman sucks

Decidedly less so today than 3 months ago.

PaladinNation
January 19th, 2017, 06:47 AM
Furman quietly building a pretty impressive staff.

Charleston Southern has sported one of the nation's best defenses the past few years, and Furman has raided just about every coach they had on that side of the ball.

One of the knocks on the past football staff… it appeared Furman had lost many relationships in SC with high schools and was missing on in-state players. I think that issue has many layers. Relationships being one and academics the other.

Now with the additions of Staggs, Magee and Wilson… it appears Clay is serious about recruiting in-state players and has backed that up in hiring these guys.

Now can Coach Hendrix really bring the Dins back? We're watching the recruiting since Clay has became HC. Furman has quickly gotten involved with some new players that the past staff didn't have on their radar.

New Commits that backup Furman's commitment to running the ball and a multi-set offense.

JeMar Lincoln QB Ware Co Georgia
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/5328938/57e58cd890f99324981b9c7e

Cole Neely 6-3 260 C/OT offers: AFA, Army, CSU, EKU, Elon, G-W, JSU, Southern, Townson, FU
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2980744/57e558d70aff7a2d8c1fe6e5

Libertine
January 19th, 2017, 08:03 AM
The rats are jumping the ship.

That ship was built on a flatbed trailer and towed around by a golf cart. It wasn't seaworthy anyway. ;)

ElCid
January 19th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Decidedly less so today than 3 months ago.

I am fairly sure Furman sucks forever.

citdog
January 19th, 2017, 04:10 PM
I am fairly sure Furman sucks forever.

furman sucks

PaladinFan
January 20th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Furman hires Peter Lusk as OL coach: http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2016-17/releases/20170120ef2dn7

citdog
January 20th, 2017, 11:20 AM
furman sucks

catamount man
January 20th, 2017, 04:17 PM
My CATS, so far, have only lost 1 position coach and that was former player Chris Collins who took a position with Georgia State. I am quite certain new DC John Wiley, and Speir, can find a replacement. Giddy for Cullowhee in 2017. GO CATS!!!

PaladinFan
February 3rd, 2017, 03:47 PM
Furman announces David Simms, former Georgia Tech running back and assistant head coach at Shorter, will be the running backs coach.

http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2016-17/releases/20170203haiv0j

I think this will just about round out Furman's coaching staff.

citdog
February 3rd, 2017, 03:54 PM
Furman announces David Simms, former Georgia Tech running back and assistant head coach at Shorter, will be the running backs coach.

http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2016-17/releases/20170203haiv0j

I think this will just about round out Furman's coaching staff.

furman sucks

OL FU
February 7th, 2017, 09:56 AM
furman sucks

You miss me doncha buddyxnodx

kdinva
February 8th, 2017, 11:18 AM
....now Wilson is headed to the KC Chiefs, per Coachingsearch.com;

Kansas City Chiefs: Furman linebackers coach Rod Wilson has joined the Chiefs as assistant special teams coach. Wilson had joined Furman in January after four years at Charleston Southern. He played under current Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub with the Bears and served as a Chiefs training camp assistant in 2015.

kdinva
February 8th, 2017, 11:20 AM
Also, for Furman, from coachingsearch.com;

Furman (SC): Air Force Prep inside linebackers coach Ken Lamendola has joined the Furman staff as inside linebackers coach. Lamendola spent two years at Air Force Prep

PaladinFan
February 8th, 2017, 11:44 AM
Also, for Furman, from coachingsearch.com;

Furman (SC): Air Force Prep inside linebackers coach Ken Lamendola has joined the Furman staff as inside linebackers coach. Lamendola spent two years at Air Force Prep

Wilson looked like a solid hire, but I'm not terribly worked up over NFL teams poaching our coaches. Lamendola is a young guy who is our third hire with Air Force ties.

Furman is going to look a lot different on both sides of the ball. Clear indication they are moving to a run heavy offense and a 3-4 base defense. I expect some multiple offense with elements of Air Force and Auburn. I anticipate Furman will have an offense that doesn't really look like any other offense in the conference.

That first game of the season is looking interesting with Furman at Wofford. Wofford will be the favorite, but I expect they aren't going to have a foggy clue what Furman will look like on offense.

citdog
February 8th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Wilson looked like a solid hire, but I'm not terribly worked up over NFL teams poaching our coaches. Lamendola is a young guy who is our third hire with Air Force ties.

Furman is going to look a lot different on both sides of the ball. Clear indication they are moving to a run heavy offense and a 3-4 base defense. I expect some multiple offense with elements of Air Force and Auburn. I anticipate Furman will have an offense that doesn't really look like any other offense in the conference.

That first game of the season is looking interesting with Furman at Wofford. Wofford will be the favorite, but I expect they aren't going to have a foggy clue what Furman will look like on offense.

furman sucks

kdinva
February 12th, 2017, 01:41 PM
VMI 4th Classman QB Hodges interacting with The Army Chief of Staff, Gen. Milley

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4dwwD3UYAEhBds.jpg

citdog
February 12th, 2017, 01:43 PM
VMI 4th Classman QB Hodges interacting with The Army Chief of Staff, Gen. Milley

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4dwwD3UYAEhBds.jpg

Why is his chin sticking out? Dude needs to learn how to BRACE...do y'all not teach that important life skill at vmi anymore???

kdinva
February 12th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Why is his chin sticking out? Dude needs to learn how to BRACE...do y'all not teach that important life skill at vmi anymore???

He was bracing/at attention, until the General said: "at ease"......common practice....

citdog
February 12th, 2017, 03:15 PM
He was bracing/at attention, until the General said: "at ease"......common practice....

Your WHOLE 4th Class System is "at ease" Lexington is a country club compared to the Knob System...

kdinva
February 12th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Your WHOLE 4th Class System is "at ease" Lexington is a country club compared to the Knob System...

I'll give you the fact the Knobs don't "break out/are recognized" for another month.....VMI's Rat Breakout was last Saturday.....other than that, very little difference (that I have been told by grads of both schools)........meanwhile, what's up in Ladson South?

citdog
February 12th, 2017, 04:52 PM
I'll give you the fact the Knobs don't "break out/are recognized" for another month.....VMI's Rat Breakout was last Saturday.....other than that, very little difference (that I have been told by grads of both schools)........meanwhile, what's up in Ladson South?

Longer. Harder. sounds about right! Y'all do your thing pretty well.

dixiechs
February 14th, 2017, 04:54 PM
oh dear. he isnt "sticking his chin out" he is speaking to General Milley. and please, yalls nobs dont look half so tight as our rats. ps...the underestimating of VMI in the next few years will be to Socon teams peril. Except when Sammy plays VMI, then all my bets are off the table.
:Pxsmiley_wix

citdog
February 14th, 2017, 10:10 PM
oh dear. he isnt "sticking his chin out" he is speaking to General Milley. and please, yalls nobs dont look half so tight as our rats. ps...the underestimating of VMI in the next few years will be to Socon teams peril. Except when Sammy plays VMI, then all my bets are off the table.

ALL the rats have their chins out now... Knobs don't for another month...

kdinva
February 17th, 2017, 07:42 PM
ANOTHER Chuck South Asst. Coach off to Greenville.....

Furman: Source tells FootballScoop Josh Miller (Charleston Southern) is expected to be new defensive line coach at Furman.

PaladinFan
February 17th, 2017, 09:02 PM
ANOTHER Chuck South Asst. Coach off to Greenville.....

Furman: Source tells FootballScoop Josh Miller (Charleston Southern) is expected to be new defensive line coach at Furman.

Appears Georgia State's DL coach went to the Falcons in some capacity, GSU hired Furman's Skylor McGee, and then Furman went and plucked the only defensive assistant they had not already hired away from Charleston Southern.

citdog
February 17th, 2017, 09:44 PM
furman sucks

Milktruck74
February 18th, 2017, 07:48 AM

That is a BIG game, it'll determine who take sole possession of 5th place.

The Cats
February 18th, 2017, 10:44 AM

Not really....

catamount man
February 18th, 2017, 03:20 PM
Seems like all Hendrix is doing is poaching Charleston Southern's staff. Wish them well though except any game against Western Carolina. GO CATS!!!

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2017, 05:49 AM
Seems like all Hendrix is doing is poaching Charleston Southern's staff. Wish them well though except any game against Western Carolina. GO CATS!!!

On defense, Furman hired Chad Staggs from Charleston Southern. As FCS hires go, its hard to argue with that move. Staggs ran one of the top defenses in the subdivision. I expect he would have also been in Greenville if Furman had hired Chadwell instead of Hendrix.

Staggs brought along two of his defensive staff. One left for an NFL gig and the other for Georgia State. Furman replaced the linebackers coach with a young coach from the Air Force Academy. They replaced the defensive line coach with Miller from Charleston Southern. They also hired Addison Williams, who was the defensive coordinator at Tusculum. Of course, they also retained Duane Vaughan, who was the recruiting coordinator and safeties coach at Furman already.

dixiechs
February 21st, 2017, 12:46 PM

keep dreaming:p

Milktruck74
February 21st, 2017, 01:07 PM
keep dreaming:p

Ok, your right....I was stretching a bit....7th place!!!

SU DOG
February 22nd, 2017, 11:43 AM
Another UTC coordinator gone:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2017/feb/22/staley-leaving-nfl-position/414209/

PaladinFan
February 22nd, 2017, 12:25 PM
I get the impression that after signing day, there is a whole other round of coaching changes.

It would be better to lose someone other than your defensive coordinator on the eve of spring practice, but at some point the musical chairs will stop.

FUBeAR
February 22nd, 2017, 07:32 PM

keep dreaming:pMilktruck is, I think, actually being quite generous to the Keydets, historically speaking.

If I'm not mistaken, the last time VMI played a SoCon game to, potentially, finish anything higher than 5th place in the SoCon, I played in that game! The 'Roos actually had a shot to go undefeated in the Conference & win the SoCon, but they fell to the Furman Paladins 33-21 at home. Furman clinched their 2nd of 4 consecutive SoCon Championships with the win and it was a very sad day for the Home Team in LexVegas on Nov. 14, 1981.

But...take heart Keydet Fans, the following week, VMI bounced back from that bitter disappointment, went to Blacksburg, and whipped the VaTech Hokies in a shutout!

citdog
February 22nd, 2017, 07:36 PM
Milktruck is, I think, actually being quite generous to the Keydets, historically speaking.

If I'm not mistaken, the last time VMI played a SoCon game to, potentially, finish anything higher than 5th place in the SoCon, I played in that game! The 'Roos actually had a shot to go undefeated in the Conference & win the SoCon, but they fell to the Furman Paladins 33-20 at home. Furman clinched their 2nd of 4 consecutive SoCon Championships with the win and it was a very sad day for the Home Team in LexVegas on Nov. 14, 1981.

furman sucks

FUBeAR
February 22nd, 2017, 07:52 PM
furman sucks

We darn sure SUCKED the following Saturday; I'll grant you that.

citdog
February 22nd, 2017, 08:08 PM

A Father and Son went home happy that day and a Mother and Sister in a huff.

ElCid
February 22nd, 2017, 08:25 PM

A Father and Son went home happy that day and a Mother and Sister in a huff.

First game against Furman I ever saw. I think this Knob scored an overnight that weekend.

citdog
February 22nd, 2017, 08:27 PM
First game against Furman I ever saw. I think this Knob scored an overnight that weekend.

Genl Grimsley LOVED to beat furman. Almost as much as he loved beating the huns.

ElCid
February 22nd, 2017, 08:33 PM
Genl Grimsley LOVED to beat furman. Almost as much as he loved beating the huns.

He was a good guy. It was cool having a WWII vet in command during my time there.

PaladinFan
February 23rd, 2017, 08:10 AM
Interesting write up on some old conference mates - http://www.thegeorgeanne.com/sports/article_a4d306f2-308c-5603-9916-60bc70ad5541.html

Georgia Southern's athletics budget has increased by $8million a year. Total enrollment in Statesboro has increased by only 156 students.

I suppose if you only increase your revenue pool by 156 people, seems like you would have to rely pretty heavily on conference revenue sharing and increased booster participation to make up for the $8m increase in expenditures.

walliver
February 23rd, 2017, 09:47 AM
Interesting write up on some old conference mates - http://www.thegeorgeanne.com/sports/article_a4d306f2-308c-5603-9916-60bc70ad5541.html

Georgia Southern's athletics budget has increased by $8million a year. Total enrollment in Statesboro has increased by only 156 students.

I suppose if you only increase your revenue pool by 156 people, seems like you would have to rely pretty heavily on conference revenue sharing and increased booster participation to make up for the $8m increase in expenditures.

App State was prepared for the move, Georgia Southern rushed things, or at least delayed in making preparations. GSU will struggle financially in the Sun Belt for a while. Unless they can come up with more money to pay their coaches, the football head coach job will be a revolving door of young coaches either being drawn away to a bigger payday or being fired for not successfully running the triple option.

On the other hand, GSU was much better prepared for the move than the last Sun Belt addition.

Catamount87
February 24th, 2017, 08:40 AM
App State was prepared for the move, Georgia Southern rushed things, or at least delayed in making preparations. GSU will struggle financially in the Sun Belt for a while. Unless they can come up with more money to pay their coaches, the football head coach job will be a revolving door of young coaches either being drawn away to a bigger payday or being fired for not successfully running the triple option.

On the other hand, GSU was much better prepared for the move than the last Sun Belt addition.

Once they both announced their intention of moving up I started questioning if GSU was really ready for it. App just came across as a much more prepared athletic dept and school, better positioned financially and better positioned in coaching and players. Look at the results on the field, ASU clearly is getting it done, GSU has started to stumble a bit.

GSU
Conf
Overall

8-0
9-3

6-2
9-4

4-4
5-7

Total
18-6
23-14

ASU
Conf
Overall

6-2
7-5

7-1
11-2

7-1
10-3

Total
20-4
28-10

FUBeAR
February 24th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Once they both announced their intention of moving up I started questioning if GSU was really ready for it. App just came across as a much more prepared athletic dept and school, better positioned financially and better positioned in coaching and players. Look at the results on the field, ASU clearly is getting it done, GSU has started to stumble a bit.

GSU
Conf
Overall

8-0
9-3

6-2
9-4

4-4
5-7

Total
18-6
23-14

ASU
Conf
Overall

6-2
7-5

7-1
11-2

7-1
10-3

Total
20-4
28-10

Interesting. I wasn't aware that either of them were still fielding a Football Team.

walliver
February 24th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Interesting. I wasn't aware that either of them were still fielding a Football Team.

A few GSU fans believe they aren't.

Libertine
February 24th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Look at the results on the field, ASU clearly is getting it done, GSU has started to stumble a bit.

GSU
Conf
Overall

8-0
9-3

6-2
9-4

4-4
5-7

Total
18-6
23-14

ASU
Conf
Overall

6-2
7-5

7-1
11-2

7-1
10-3

Total
20-4
28-10

How much of that is institutional and how much of that is Willie Fritz leaving GSU for Tulane, I wonder?

PaladinFan
February 24th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Perhaps symptomatic.

Since Paul Johnson left in 2001, Georgia Southern has not had a single coach last more than 4 seasons. Tyson Summers barely survived one season. They lost a bunch of coaches this year without a head coaching change. Not exactly a model of a healthy program.

kdinva
February 26th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Not FB......but whaaatt?

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2017/feb/26/mocs-latest-setback-loss-senior-day/414774/

one starter not coming out for 2nd half......other Moc issues....

Mocs123
February 26th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Yes, things are not rosy in Mocs BB land. While we have the most talented roster we have had in 20 years, I think the coach has lost control. What started off is a very promising year, has recently taken a turn for the worse.

FUBeAR
February 26th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Not FB......but whaaatt?

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2017/feb/26/mocs-latest-setback-loss-senior-day/414774/

one starter not coming out for 2nd half......other Moc issues....

Not just a Starter...also a Senior...and it was Sr. Day in Chattanooga. Have to wonder if that's going to be a 'wrap' for him, then.

walliver
April 24th, 2017, 01:54 PM

Another CSU coach hits the road.

catamount man
April 29th, 2017, 11:09 AM
I'm hearing WCU's AD has suspended QB Tyrie Adams the rest of the semester from all athletic activities. A longtime WCU source posted on another board that it's "not good".

If he is not on the field in September, we're relying on a career backup and a transfer from Presbyterian. WHY CAN'T OUR KIDS BEHAVE THEMSELVES?!!!! ARGH!!!

Through it all, GO CATS!!!

Milktruck74
April 30th, 2017, 10:10 AM
I'm hearing WCU's AD has suspended QB Tyrie Adams the rest of the semester from all athletic activities. A longtime WCU source posted on another board that it's "not good".

If he is not on the field in September, we're relying on a career backup and a transfer from Presbyterian. WHY CAN'T OUR KIDS BEHAVE THEMSELVES?!!!! ARGH!!!

You'd think they couldn't get into too much trouble in The Whee!!!!!

catamount man
April 30th, 2017, 03:04 PM
You'd think they couldn't get into too much trouble in The Whee!!!!! It's the isolation that CAUSES it.

walliver
May 1st, 2017, 12:50 PM

Did he do something horrible ... like dating outside the family?

Unfortunately, bad behavior happens almost everywhere now. To some extent it is due to schools no longer tolerating bad behavior, and also kids are being cuddled and treated as superstars in high school.

PaladinFan
May 1st, 2017, 02:07 PM
Did he do something horrible ... like dating outside the family?

Unfortunately, bad behavior happens almost everywhere now. To some extent it is due to schools no longer tolerating bad behavior, and also kids are being cuddled and treated as superstars in high school.

To paraphrase a former Georgia governor, to fix the problem sometimes you need a better class of player.

tigonian02
May 1st, 2017, 06:41 PM
Perhaps symptomatic.

Since Paul Johnson left in 2001, Georgia Southern has not had a single coach last more than 4 seasons. Tyson Summers barely survived one season. They lost a bunch of coaches this year without a head coaching change. Not exactly a model of a healthy program.

You are correct that a bunch of coaches left this season (including pretty much the entire offensive staff). The reasoning you ask? A few were legitimately looking to get out, but for the majority, Tyson Summers allowed many of them to find another job and drift peacefully away instead of publicly making a scene. CTS isn't what anyone would call a top of the line head coach by any means. No one was happy about it, but his last win at home against Troy secured his second chance in Statesboro and so far he seems like he got the picture. During the spring game the offensive line already looked miles better than last year.

GSU
Conf
Overall

8-0
9-3

6-2
9-4

4-4
5-7

Total
18-6
23-14

ASU
Conf
Overall

6-2
7-5

7-1
11-2

7-1
10-3

Total
20-4
28-10

App State is doing pretty well for themselves. Georgia Southern's last year however wouldn't have been 5-7 with any kind of competent coaching. That team had all the tools to succeed in the Sunbelt last year and the coaches just threw it all away. Pure Madness really...as a result, some people's draft status got tanked.

PaladinFan
May 2nd, 2017, 06:41 AM
Just my opinion, App State was far better prepared for the move to FBS than Georgia Southern was.

Smitty
May 2nd, 2017, 07:05 AM

Supposedly it is related to academics, not exactly bad behavior.

catamount man
May 3rd, 2017, 06:20 AM
Supposedly it is related to academics, not exactly bad behavior. Well that makes me feel better somewhat. Hopefully Tyrie gets his head on straight. GO CATS!

tigonian02
May 3rd, 2017, 08:05 PM
Just my opinion, App State was far better prepared for the move to FBS than Georgia Southern was.
Probably a valid opinion if I say so myself. All I'm really trying to say is that GaSouthern isn't exactly struggling. Much of our current struggles are a timing issue. Willie Fritz got into it with our AD and then Bolted. Our AD in an effort to find a HC that would stay around for a while found newbie Tyson Summers, whose home town is like 2.5 hours from Statesboro. He barely survived his first season, but hopefully learned a lot in the process (including that you can't take a spread guy and an air raid guy and make a competent option offense).

App brought in someone who also "wanted " to get back to Boone. Their coach already knew the offense and so when they went thru their growing pains in 2014 it wasn't as terrible (although at first it looked like it was going to be).

Daytripper
May 4th, 2017, 07:54 AM
Probably a valid opinion if I say so myself. All I'm really trying to say is that GaSouthern isn't exactly struggling. Much of our current struggles are a timing issue. Willie Fritz got into it with our AD and then Bolted. Our AD in an effort to find a HC that would stay around for a while found newbie Tyson Summers, whose home town is like 2.5 hours from Statesboro. He barely survived his first season, but hopefully learned a lot in the process (including that you can't take a spread guy and an air raid guy and make a competent option offense).

App brought in someone who also "wanted " to get back to Boone. Their coach already knew the offense and so when they went thru their growing pains in 2014 it wasn't as terrible (although at first it looked like it was going to be).

What was the beef about between Fritz and the AD?

PaladinFan
May 4th, 2017, 11:13 AM

Just reading reports, I do think there is cause for concern when your budget increases 7 million (or whatever the number was) without a necessary increase in revenue and you rotate through head coaches every three years.

It's not exactly out of character for Georgia Southern to run off a good coach because he doesn't win enough fast enough or with the panache the fan base expects.

tigonian02
May 6th, 2017, 08:33 PM
What was the beef about between Fritz and the AD?

There are posters out there with for more "in the know" information than me, but I think it basically boiled down to two guys who had their idea of how the program should be run, which created a lot of tension and a situation where it didn't take too long before Fritz left. Another reason we now have a HC with little experience who won't fight with our AD's micro-managing style. Btw, the OC we hired this year (Cook) was Tyson Summers first choice last year, but our AD wouldn't sign a 2 year agreement with him and so a deal couldn't be reached...amazing how quickly that tune changed after last year.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 7th, 2017, 03:40 PM
How much of that is institutional and how much of that is Willie Fritz leaving GSU for Tulane, I wonder?

0% and 100% respectively.

Well, maybe not so much Fritz leaving as the fact that after Fritz left we had a veritable bumper crop of head coaches to choose from from Mike Houston, Jamey Chadwell, Russ Huesman, and John Grass and we went with a G5 defensive coordinator that no one has ever heard of. Whiffing on hires is really more of a problem than prematurely running coaches out of town for Georgia Southern. The only head coach who may have not been given a fair shot was Chris Hatcher, and that's borderline.

The only difference between App State and Georgia Southern is that Scott Satterfield (who if I'm not mistaken makes less money than Fritz did) is still there and App hasn't had to make a head-coaching change.

Laker
May 7th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Article about Chatty thinking about moving to the OVC or the Sunbelt. Any validity to this?

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2017/may/07/football-attendance-decline-may-lead-utc-look/426797/

citdog
May 7th, 2017, 05:34 PM
Article about Chatty thinking about moving to the OVC or the Sunbelt. Any validity to this?

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2017/may/07/football-attendance-decline-may-lead-utc-look/426797/

So why not move to the Big South and spend even less Gene Henley??

Or the Pioneer League and spend even less than that???

Or D-III??

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2017, 08:38 AM
So why not move to the Big South and spend even less Gene Henley??

Or the Pioneer League and spend even less than that???

Or D-III??

It is sort of a strange argument, that a team that struggles historically with attendance and doesn't even field core sports (baseball) would be looking to move up.

I think the SoCon, perhaps unlike every other conference in the country, has to strike a balance appealing to large public state universities, small private colleges, and military colleges. It is hard to strike that balance and make everyone happy.

There is no question that App/GSU's departure from the conference hurt everyone at the gate. Those two programs generally traveled well (Georgia Southern moreso than App State for much of their time), and would be a big home game for every team in the league. It does seem sort of dumb to make a move hoping that another team's fan base will come prop your program up, though.

As I noted elsewhere, I am still in favor of the SoCon expanding westward and out of the Carolinas. There's certainly reason to think that UTC, like GSU/App before it, will eventually become discontent as the large state school in a league with a bunch of private schools and military colleges.

Mocs123
May 8th, 2017, 09:09 AM
I don't think so. We don't have the money for the Sun Belt and don't think a move to the OVC would increase attendance (other than the JSU game).

Do we think more Chattanooga would come out to see us play Western Illinois than Western Carolina?

Attendeence suffered last year because we had an unappealing OOC, played our opener (against a D2) at the same time a hyped up UTK was playing, and most of all, we played our September games at 2pm in a very HOT year.

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2017, 11:02 AM
I don't think so. We don't have the money for the Sun Belt and don't think a move to the OVC would increase attendance (other than the JSU game).

Do we think more Chattanooga would come out to see us play Western Illinois than Western Carolina?

Attendeence suffered last year because we had an unappealing OOC, played our opener (against a D2) at the same time a hyped up UTK was playing, and most of all, we played our September games at 2pm in a very HOT year.

I have not run the numbers, but I expect attendance is down probably most places. Even Nick Saban has to get on to Alabama fans for leaving early.

There is far more accessibility to games now with live streaming. Where I used to have to listen to Furman football over the internet radio or show up to the game, now I can watch them play from my living room. I am far less likely to go to a game now than I used to be (not to mention, the team's been hot garbage for a while now).

walliver
May 9th, 2017, 09:27 AM
I have not run the numbers, but I expect attendance is down probably most places. Even Nick Saban has to get on to Alabama fans for leaving early.

There is far more accessibility to games now with live streaming. Where I used to have to listen to Furman football over the internet radio or show up to the game, now I can watch them play from my living room. I am far less likely to go to a game now than I used to be (not to mention, the team's been hot garbage for a while now).

We also need to consider that millennials are less interested in football than their predecessors. There are students who arrive and tailgate and then go back to the dorms. Even at schools which seem to have great student enthusiasm, such at Clemson, much of that enthusiasm is due to the limited number of student tickets. And even at Clemson, a know a number of people who show up for the tailgate and watch the game on TV from the parking lot. I suspect that most schools will see dwindling attendance over the next few decades as older die-hard fans pass on.

Sell-out games by teams playing outdoors in FCS are very uncommon, and you can say the same for the G5 and the bottom half of the P5.

To some extent, there are demographic changes at work, but I believe a major contributing factor is that the games are now too long. Ten years ago, a typical Wofford game was about 2 hours and 30 minutes (since we rarely do that thing where you throw the ball up in the air). Now, every few minutes, the man in the red hat walks on the field and all action comes to a complete halt for several minutes. Currently, even games against the Citadel, who also doesn't do much of the throw the ball up in the air stuff, take longer than 3 hours. There is no more action than before, but the game takes 45 minutes longer to play. I, for one, would be willing to pay a few dollars for each ESPN3 viewing if they would get rid of the TV time-outs and get on with the game.

Although many of us enjoy tailgating, there are a significant people who want to come to the game, watch the action, and then go home. Speeding up the game may help, but stadium access is important, too. I went to the Furman game last year and was directed to a parking lot in a different zip code from the stadium. They give away tee shirts for people making shorter walks than that ;). In the future, schools are going to have to modify game-day flow to improve attendance if they hope to bring in more that hard-core fans.

tigonian02
May 9th, 2017, 09:59 PM
It is sort of a strange argument, that a team that struggles historically with attendance and doesn't even field core sports (baseball) would be looking to move up.

I think the SoCon, perhaps unlike every other conference in the country, has to strike a balance appealing to large public state universities, small private colleges, and military colleges. It is hard to strike that balance and make everyone happy.

There is no question that App/GSU's departure from the conference hurt everyone at the gate. Those two programs generally traveled well (Georgia Southern moreso than App State for much of their time), and would be a big home game for every team in the league. It does seem sort of dumb to make a move hoping that another team's fan base will come prop your program up, though.

As I noted elsewhere, I am still in favor of the SoCon expanding westward and out of the Carolinas. There's certainly reason to think that UTC, like GSU/App before it, will eventually become discontent as the large state school in a league with a bunch of private schools and military colleges.

Well said Paladin

PaladinFan
May 10th, 2017, 04:43 AM
We also need to consider that millennials are less interested in football than their predecessors. There are students who arrive and tailgate and then go back to the dorms. Even at schools which seem to have great student enthusiasm, such at Clemson, much of that enthusiasm is due to the limited number of student tickets. And even at Clemson, a know a number of people who show up for the tailgate and watch the game on TV from the parking lot. I suspect that most schools will see dwindling attendance over the next few decades as older die-hard fans pass on.

Sell-out games by teams playing outdoors in FCS are very uncommon, and you can say the same for the G5 and the bottom half of the P5.

To some extent, there are demographic changes at work, but I believe a major contributing factor is that the games are now too long. Ten years ago, a typical Wofford game was about 2 hours and 30 minutes (since we rarely do that thing where you throw the ball up in the air). Now, every few minutes, the man in the red hat walks on the field and all action comes to a complete halt for several minutes. Currently, even games against the Citadel, who also doesn't do much of the throw the ball up in the air stuff, take longer than 3 hours. There is no more action than before, but the game takes 45 minutes longer to play. I, for one, would be willing to pay a few dollars for each ESPN3 viewing if they would get rid of the TV time-outs and get on with the game.

Although many of us enjoy tailgating, there are a significant people who want to come to the game, watch the action, and then go home. Speeding up the game may help, but stadium access is important, too. I went to the Furman game last year and was directed to a parking lot in a different zip code from the stadium. They give away tee shirts for people making shorter walks than that ;). In the future, schools are going to have to modify game-day flow to improve attendance if they hope to bring in more that hard-core fans.

Longer games plus more accessibility to content isn't a great mix for attendance.

Interestingly, I looked at the numbers the other day and was surprised at the findings. Wofford and the Citadel played a (relatively) tough defensive game last year that last 3:12 with one overtime that went 9 total plays for both teams. There were 21 combined passing attempts to 111 rushing attempts.

Furman and Samford played last year a game that went 3:17 minutes. There were close to 90 passing attempts between the two teams, 57 incompletions, 47 first downs, and 59 points.

That the second game lasted only five minutes longer than the first is pretty incredible to me, and I suppose is only explained by television time outs forcing the Citadel/Wofford game to slow down, or the Samford/Furman game to speed up.

Bucs2016
May 10th, 2017, 09:23 AM

For attendance boosts id argue to only expand within it. FCS has no TV deal concerns. Like when the Big South added Stony Brook, it did NOTHING for our attendance. Thats a huge NYC area school. But we would draw more fans playing tiny D2 Newberry than Stony Brook because of travel. We have Monmouth now and it does nothing for us.

The SoCon....and even more so the Big South...needs teams that are closer not farther. Games that people who are just as much fans of Clemson, UGA, Bama etc can just decide the morning of a game to hop in the car and make a road trip to the FCS game.

Attendance wise the Big South would gain more by adding SC State or a D2 like West Georgia or Carson Newman than we would chasing someone far away. In fact hypothetically I guarantee most Big South teams would see more attendance boosts by hosting Newberry than UTC, particularly GWU, CSU and especially PC. Now we are chasing U of Jax for some reason. Those folks are driving to any game except maybe CSU. Id assume the SoCon is in the same boat, but you guys have that issue in that the bigger school you go after the more likely they are looking at FBS.

Bucs2016
May 10th, 2017, 09:34 AM
Longer games plus more accessibility to content isn't a great mix for attendance.

Interestingly, I looked at the numbers the other day and was surprised at the findings. Wofford and the Citadel played a (relatively) tough defensive game last year that last 3:12 with one overtime that went 9 total plays for both teams. There were 21 combined passing attempts to 111 rushing attempts.

Furman and Samford played last year a game that went 3:17 minutes. There were close to 90 passing attempts between the two teams, 57 incompletions, 47 first downs, and 59 points.

That the second game lasted only five minutes longer than the first is pretty incredible to me, and I suppose is only explained by television time outs forcing the Citadel/Wofford game to slow down, or the Samford/Furman game to speed up.

I wonder how many plays went "under further review"? Biggest scam TV ever pulled is the constant petty booth reviews. It buys them 5 to 10 minutes to shove commercials in. NOTICE the clock restarts now after first downs once ball and chains set???? Combined with the speedy offenses....they rush the actual action but slow it down with reviews.

Im no conspiracy theorist. But dang. If you're a TV exec and someone said: "Sir...we can encourage faster play by running the clock more...but keep the real time the same by reviewing stuff all the time...which means we can shove more commercials into the same time frame."

Makes sense.

walliver
May 10th, 2017, 10:44 AM
I wonder how many plays went "under further review"? Biggest scam TV ever pulled is the constant petty booth reviews. It buys them 5 to 10 minutes to shove commercials in. NOTICE the clock restarts now after first downs once ball and chains set???? Combined with the speedy offenses....they rush the actual action but slow it down with reviews.

Im no conspiracy theorist. But dang. If you're a TV exec and someone said: "Sir...we can encourage faster play by running the clock more...but keep the real time the same by reviewing stuff all the time...which means we can shove more commercials into the same time frame."

Makes sense.

The clock has always restarted after the downs markers are moved. What is fairly new is restarting the clock after an out-of-bounds play. They probably should do the same after an incomplete pass (except the last 2 minutes of course). Reviews are a big delay. IMHO if the refs can't make a decision within a minute or so, then there is not incontrovertible evidence and play should continue. Although I would really prefer to get rid of it altogether. The Man in the Red Hat is a major problem. I wouldn't mind if the game were on ESPN or ESPN2, but for a game on ESPN3 or one of the conference streaming networks, it makes little sense. How valuable is commercial time during a streamed FCS game?

ElCid
May 10th, 2017, 01:07 PM
The clock has always restarted after the downs markers are moved. What is fairly new is restarting the clock after an out-of-bounds play. They probably should do the same after an incomplete pass (except the last 2 minutes of course). Reviews are a big delay. IMHO if the refs can't make a decision within a minute or so, then there is not incontrovertible evidence and play should continue. Although I would really prefer to get rid of it altogether. The Man in the Red Hat is a major problem. I wouldn't mind if the game were on ESPN or ESPN2, but for a game on ESPN3 or one of the conference streaming networks, it makes little sense. How valuable is commercial time during a streamed FCS game?

Seriously! It isn't as if anyone watches them anyway. I always flip to another game.

walliver
May 10th, 2017, 01:26 PM
Seriously! It isn't as if anyone watches them anyway. I always flip to another game.

It is a problem when you at the game. The break isn't long enough to go get a Coke, but long enough to be irritating.

ElCid
May 10th, 2017, 01:29 PM
It is a problem when you at the game. The break isn't long enough to go get a Coke, but long enough to be irritating.

Yeah, at the game reviews are a problem. I was actually referring to the commercials on ESPN 3 in general. Sorry I wasn't clear. Sometimes there is just a title on and no commercial.

kdinva
June 10th, 2017, 02:46 PM
The Citadel's D-Line coach moves to JMU......

James Madison: The Citadel defensive line coach Roy Tesh has joined the JMU staff as outside linebackers coach / special teams coordinator, and previous OLB coach / special teams coordinator John Bowers has resigned to take a job in California closer to his family. Tesh spent three years at The Citadel.

citdog
June 10th, 2017, 02:51 PM
The Citadel's D-Line coach moves to JMU......

James Madison: The Citadel defensive line coach Roy Tesh has joined the JMU staff as outside linebackers coach / special teams coordinator, and previous OLB coach / special teams coordinator John Bowers has resigned to take a job in California closer to his family. Tesh spent three years at The Citadel.

Coach Tesh is now firmly hooked to the Houston wagon and will go as high as Mike does. I don't believe either of them will be at JMU this time next year.

PaladinFan
June 10th, 2017, 08:00 PM
Can't figure out how to post photos, but Furman has introduced new "old" jerseys. Uniforms sort or replicate the classic Furman look and jettison the garish black combinations they've used in recent years.

I'll get around to posting them at some point, but if you saw Furman play prior to 2013, the uniforms look like that with extra large "PALADINS" across the front.

citdog
June 10th, 2017, 08:03 PM
the uniforms look like that with extra large "PALADINS" across the front.

You misspelled SUCKS.

youcanbankit
June 13th, 2017, 05:53 AM
Oh the good old days.....good times back then.

Can't figure out how to post photos, but Furman has introduced new "old" jerseys. Uniforms sort or replicate the classic Furman look and jettison the garish black combinations they've used in recent years.

I'll get around to posting them at some point, but if you saw Furman play prior to 2013, the uniforms look like that with extra large "PALADINS" across the front.

Mocs123
June 13th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Not directly football related but there is a rumor UTC AD David Blackburn is stepping down today.

Of note that it was rumored that friction between him and Hursman is one of the major reasons that Hursman left (along with $$$).

SU DOG
June 13th, 2017, 12:05 PM
Not sure that this is the right thread for this, but since it follows the UTC comment, I see that UTC got an Auburn LB xfer recently.
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/former-auburn-linebacker-cameron-toney-transfer-fcs-school/

JSUSoutherner
June 13th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Not directly football related but there is a rumor UTC AD David Blackburn is stepping down today.

Of note that it was rumored that friction between him and Hursman is one of the major reasons that Hursman left (along with $$$).
Was this expected or are people just jumping ship over there?

Mocs123
June 13th, 2017, 05:20 PM
I am not surprised he is leaving after not getting the UTK AD position (which he wanted) but I am surprised that he left with no job lined up (that we know about) and that he left so suddenly.

This next AD hire could be key in the upward trend of our athletic department.

Milktruck74
June 14th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Was this expected or are people just jumping ship over there?

Speculation is he didn't really have a choice. He was a part of the reason Huesman is gone. I'm surprised it took this long. But, he did a good job keeping the momentum going...I think the next guy takes it to another level!!!!!

Catamount87
June 14th, 2017, 03:49 PM
Speculation is he didn't really have a choice. He was a part of the reason Huesman is gone. I'm surprised it took this long. But, he did a good job keeping the momentum going...I think the next guy takes it to another level!!!!!

You best hope that "the next guy" doesn't want to then bring in "his guys" and muck up everything. Sadly, that happens on the regular.

Milktruck74
June 14th, 2017, 04:06 PM
You best hope that "the next guy" doesn't want to then bring in "his guys" and muck up everything. Sadly, that happens on the regular.

I think the next guy is a very hungry Scott Altizer (interim, already in place).....bad news is we will have to replace him in 3-5 years....after he adds a few sports.