PDA

View Full Version : Richmond's New Head Coach Will Be.......

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2016, 09:59 AM
... who?

Got to believe the Spiders were preparing for this moment, given Rocco's seemingly packed bags for months. But unlike the other times, I don't see an obvious name to be in the running to replace him. Maybe a promotion from within?

Mocs123
December 13th, 2016, 10:22 AM
I hope I am wrong but I hear Richmond wants Russ Huesman from Chattanooga.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2016, 10:31 AM
How about VA Tech's Galen Scott?

bluehenbillk
December 13th, 2016, 10:32 AM
May not be from within, reports are most/all Rocco's staff going to Delaware with him.

kdinva
December 13th, 2016, 10:41 AM
I hope I am wrong but I hear Richmond wants Russ Huesman from Chattanooga.

I hope Coach Huesman stays at Chatty........I don't know if he could recruit the southeastern high school talent to Richmond, UR tougher academics, 13,000 seat smaller stadium......

walliver
December 13th, 2016, 10:44 AM
I hope Coach Huesman stays at Chatty........I don't know if he could recruit the southeastern high school talent to Richmond, UR tougher academics, 13,000 seat smaller stadium......
Wasn't he DC at Richmond when he took the Chatty HC job?

Gate83
December 13th, 2016, 10:45 AM
Posted it on other threads, but wouldn't bet against Huesman being announced as Rocco's replacement during AD Gill's 1:30 press conference today.

kdinva
December 13th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Wasn't he DC at Richmond when he took the Chatty HC job?

yes......

SFspidur
December 13th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Richmond and Chatty are in a bidding war over Huesman...no decision yet.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/34033798/reports-link-mocs-russ-huesman-to-other-coaching-vacancies

walliver
December 13th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Russ Huesman received a raise in January (2016) that pays him roughly $231,000 annually through 2020.
Reports show that Richmond's former Head Coach Danny Rocco who is leaving for Delaware made roughly $438,000 annually.

A good reason to move. I wonder how much Chatty countered.

BisonTru
December 13th, 2016, 12:33 PM
I think Lauletta has a shot at the NFL. Keeping him in a pro style offense would be best for that. Obviously you aren't going to select a coach or offense solely for one players NFL chances, but just making the point.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2016, 12:39 PM
O/T BisonTru I thoroughly enjoy your new AVI.

ur2k
December 13th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Getting Huesman may be the only saving grace for our dumbass AD who let a great coach walk.

SFspidur
December 13th, 2016, 01:24 PM

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2016/dec/13/university-tennessee-chattanooga-head-football-coach-russ-huesman-offered-same-position-university-richmond/402818/

The UTC administration has countered by putting together a financial package to attempt to keep Huesman in Chattanooga, another source said. That package could go north of $275,000, although Richmond could offer substantially more money, possibly up to two times Huesman's current salary of $230,738.

Eight Legger
December 13th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Huesman may be the only hire that can placate an angry fanbase right now. Hope we get it done.

BisonTru
December 13th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Richmond and Chatty are in a bidding war over Huesman...no decision yet.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/34033798/reports-link-mocs-russ-huesman-to-other-coaching-vacancies

So Rocco was getting 428K and Delaware swiped him away. What is Delaware paying?

FUBeAR
December 13th, 2016, 01:38 PM

Not sure if you are joking or not. I'll assume you aren't...

I was very impressed with Coach Huesman in the Recruiting process. Also, I spent about 1/2 hour chatting with him during a summer camp a few years back...and when each one of his Chatt players walked by, he asked them questions about how they were doing in certain classes or getting along with their Dr. So-and-So or if they had connected with 'Suzie' for extra tutoring. He appeared to me to be very focused on academics. Also, having been at Richmond before, I don't think he would have any difficulty at all recruiting there.

And Chatt never uses 13,000 of those seats anyway :)

kdinva
December 13th, 2016, 01:43 PM
And Chatt never uses 13,000 of those seats anyway :)

so noted.....

SFspidur
December 13th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Chatty raising their bid...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2016/dec/13/university-tennessee-chattanooga-head-football-coach-russ-huesman-offered-same-position-university-richmond/402818/

The UTC administration has countered by putting together a financial package to attempt to keep Huesman in Chattanooga, another source said. That package is in the range of $315,000 to $325,000, although Richmond could offer substantially more money, possibly up to two times Huesman's current salary of $246,000.

MR. CHICKEN
December 13th, 2016, 03:50 PM
So Rocco was getting 428K and Delaware swiped him away. What is Delaware paying?

....HE GETS UH....TUBBY RAYMOND........PORTAIT....xnodx...BRAWK!

longtimemocfan
December 13th, 2016, 04:08 PM

Not sure the exact amount. I heard it was a lucrative offer to the $ 231,000 he's getting now. I doubt it's $ 450,000 Rocco was getting at Richmond.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2016, 04:17 PM
Huesman right now

https://media.giphy.com/media/2VYui7kj5C5I4/giphy.gif

Mocs123
December 13th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Between 315-325K

dgtw
December 13th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Doesn't Huesman have another son who is in high school? When does he graduate and does he play football?

chattownmocs
December 13th, 2016, 05:27 PM
Russ, I know they may have a little deeper pockets. But they are trying to pay you far less than they just paid danny #% $% rocco. Didn't they already pass you over for Mike London and watch him springboard into the Virginia job on your back? Now they want you to come and kick danny roccos ass, which you will do, for far less money than they paid him? Don't do it russ, this is your Alma mater. Look what you have built. This is where you have unfinished business. Hopefully you are just doing this to get as much money from utc as you can.

FUBeAR
December 13th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Russ, I know they may have a little deeper pockets. But they are trying to pay you far less than they just paid danny #% $% rocco. Didn't they already pass you over for Mike London and watch him springboard into the Virginia job on your back? Now they want you to come and kick danny roccos ass, which you will do, for far less money than they paid him? Don't do it russ, this is your Alma mater. Look what you have built. This is where you have unfinished business. Hopefully you are just doing this to get as much money from utc as you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnfSoaJxe3Y

longtimemocfan
December 13th, 2016, 06:05 PM
Hopefully you are just doing this to get as much money from utc as you can.

It's called leverage. Coaches do this all the time to get what they want.

chattownmocs
December 13th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Hopefully you are just doing this to get as much money from utc as you can.

It's called leverage. Coaches do this all the time to get what they want.

Which is why I'm hopeful that is what is going on here....

JSUSoutherner
December 13th, 2016, 06:31 PM
But in the unlikely (cause I'd be surprised if it happened) event he does leave, who takes over at UTC?

chattownmocs
December 13th, 2016, 06:37 PM
He gone. Please do not hire someone because they are a good recruiter.

longtimemocfan
December 13th, 2016, 06:50 PM
But in the unlikely (cause I'd be surprised if it happened) event he does leave, who takes over at UTC?

I'll be surprised is he actually leaves too, but if he does they've started a thread on mocnation on some possible candidates which includes Marcus Satterfield ( HC Tenn.Tech ) former OC at Chattanooga. Adam Fuller ( DC Marshall ) former DC. To name just a few.

PaladinFan
December 13th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Interesting the difference in some of these coaching searches.

Huseman publicly announced as having been offered the Richmond job after Delaware very openly recruited their head coach.

Furman is an iron box right now. I'm sure there are some folks "with knowledge" but there's been no news leaked on who Furman is even looking at, interviewing, or talking to.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 13th, 2016, 08:32 PM

Huseman publicly announced as having been offered the Richmond job after Delaware very openly recruited their head coach.

Furman is an iron box right now. I'm sure there are some folks "with knowledge" but there's been no news leaked on who Furman is even looking at, interviewing, or talking to.

There would have been rioting here today if there wasn't some kind of positive news floated out there. It sort of had to be this way for us.

It does sound like this has a good chance of working out for the Spiders.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 13th, 2016, 08:33 PM
May not be from within, reports are most/all Rocco's staff going to Delaware with him.

Has anybody released anything official about this?

dudeitsaid
December 13th, 2016, 09:08 PM

Guess that's one way to try to beat a conference rival.

tribefan40
December 13th, 2016, 09:14 PM
I think Lauletta has a shot at the NFL. Keeping him in a pro style offense would be best for that. Obviously you aren't going to select a coach or offense solely for one players NFL chances, but just making the point.

Lauletta is set to graduate - look for the transfer to UD...

Mocs123
December 13th, 2016, 09:19 PM
What was Rocco's beef with the Richmond administration? I was surprised he left for another CAA school that has a good history, but much less success the past decade. UD surely didn't pay him much more than the $450K that UR was paying him. UR is a top 10 team for crying out loud.

utcfan
December 13th, 2016, 09:19 PM
I have read the RH has a fairly large ($600K to $1M depending on source) buyout.

Mocs123
December 13th, 2016, 09:26 PM
I have read the RH has a fairly large ($600K to $1M depending on source) buyout.

It was originally reported as $1M by the Chattanooga Times-Free Press, but I have since heard it is actually $150K per year till 2020.

I am sure Richmond is aware of the buyout and OK with it. I get the feeling that money is not an issue at UR.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 13th, 2016, 09:48 PM
It was originally reported as $1M by the Chattanooga Times-Free Press, but I have since heard it is actually $150K per year till 2020.

I am sure Richmond is aware of the buyout and OK with it. I get the feeling that money is not an issue at UR.

I believe Delaware will be helping pay for it, whatever it is.

spdram
December 13th, 2016, 09:51 PM
Rocco's beef, lot's of rumors flying around -- very few have any real support. There was a very public Title IX issue with a player that he felt was not handled right, probably correct since they have revamped the system. Have been talking about new football building, he may have thought it was to slow or not going to happen. Most of the remaining items were typical stuff with most programs. Personally I believe Rocco is one that prefers to build rather than sustain.

jsnow84
December 13th, 2016, 10:09 PM
Rocco was unhappy because they restricted his budgets, the admin didn't really support the program sufficiently, etc. He actually would have gone back to Liberty if the stars aligned correctly and there was an opening. (He had a reasonable beef with the previous AD there). He is better off at Delaware and will probably do a good job for them.

Mocs123
December 13th, 2016, 10:13 PM
Doesn't Huesman have another son who is in high school? When does he graduate and does he play football?

Huesman has a daughter, who I think is a SR in HS this year and a son, who is 13-14 years old.

Mocs123
December 13th, 2016, 10:20 PM
Is Richmond a better job than Chattanooga? I am certainly not impartial but I don't think it is. It sounds like they have the same problems that Chattanooga has, and has less fan support.

Of course they probably are offering $100K more than the Mocs are. Virginia does have a state income tax, which would probably take ~$25K of that.

FUBeAR
December 13th, 2016, 10:22 PM

No need to speculate (although this is from 2009) - https://hkm.com/football/wp-content/uploads/coach-contracts/russhuesman-utc-employment-contract.pdf

Base Salary x Number of Years Remaining

mcveyrl
December 13th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Is Richmond a better job than Chattanooga? I am certainly not impartial but I don't think it is. It sounds like they have the same problems that Chattanooga has, and has less fan support.

Of course they probably are offering $100K more than the Mocs are. Virginia does have a state income tax, which would probably take ~$25K of that.

Va. state income tax is not nearly as large as federal. I haven't lived there in several years, but I think it tops out at around 9%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SU DOG
December 13th, 2016, 10:33 PM

Could Jamey Chadwell be in the mix for Furman? Thought I heard that somewhere.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 13th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Va. state income tax is not nearly as large as federal. I haven't lived there in several years, but I think it tops out at around 9%.

VA income tax is 5-6% but on all $400k of the income. His math is on.

PaladinNation
December 14th, 2016, 06:20 AM
Could Jamey Chadwell be in the mix for Furman? Thought I heard that somewhere.

I know this is a thread about Richmond, will dig up the FUrman thread to post more… but yes it was reported on twitter that Chadwell has been on the Furman campus this week.

Sammy94
December 14th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Could be the first time Bowers has seen the same head coach from the last game of the year to the first game of the following year.

chattanoogamocs
December 14th, 2016, 08:15 AM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2016/dec/14/huesman-accepts-richmond-offer/402989/

F'N Hawks
December 14th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Huesman it is. Big move for the Spiders.

UNIFanSince1983
December 14th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Someone find Chattown and back him off the cliff.

chattanoogamocs
December 14th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Huesman accepts Richmond job

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2016/dec/14/huesman-accepts-richmond-offer/402989/

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the double post, computer is acting weird this morning.

mcveyrl
December 14th, 2016, 08:24 AM
VA income tax is 5-6% but on all $400k of the income. His math is on.

Oh yea, brain fart there...

rokamortis
December 14th, 2016, 08:34 AM

Good question. I don't see it as a huge upgrade but obviously the money is better and the conference overall is a bit better. Doesn't seem like a big step up - then again UR's coach left for a lateral move if not a slight step down.

JMUNJ08
December 14th, 2016, 09:10 AM
All of this just means Coach Houston is getting a raise after year 1 in the 'burg...

walliver
December 14th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Could Jamey Chadwell be in the mix for Furman? Thought I heard that somewhere.I think Chadwell would actually be a better fit at Chattanooga. He's a good coach, but probably a little rough around the edges for the erudite Paladins.

ur2k
December 14th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Very good hire for us and a huge way for our AD to save face after Danny tried to burn the thing down on his way up 95.

moccasinjoe
December 14th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Wow. As a 1979 graduate and season ticket holder at Chattanooga since 1981, this really surprises me. It is very disappointing that Huesman would make this move away from his alma mater. There must be something other than money involved that the average Joe is not aware, unless Huesman is more greedy than it appeared. This does not appear to be a move up except that Richmond has very deep pockets. I appreciate all the hard work that Huesman has done turning our program around, but just surprised he would leave for this situation when there is more work to be done.

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 14th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Very good hire for us and a huge way for our AD to save face after Danny tried to burn the thing down on his way up 95.

+1. Welcome back RH!

- - - Updated - - -

Could be the first time Bowers has seen the same head coach from the last game of the year to the first game of the following year.

I thought about this. Pretty random, huh?

walliver
December 14th, 2016, 10:41 AM
All of this just means Coach Houston is getting a raise after year 1 in the 'burg...How long do you think he will stay? He is obviously a rising star.

JMUNJ08
December 14th, 2016, 11:05 AM
How long do you think he will stay? He is obviously a rising star.

Great question. I know the university loves him and have had discussions to confirm that. However, he is a better coach/ man than Withers was. Not sure he is a puddle jumper or not but the thought is he would work good at an FBS program in the P5. Part of Withers quick move was he was promised FBS and we weren't getting there in the timeline he was probably given. If Houston enjoys the friendly confines of JMU, being a bigger fish, and we can scrape together some real $$$'s, we can keep him for a little while.

MacThor
December 14th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Lauletta is set to graduate - look for the transfer to UD...

Definitely going to keep an eye on that one. I somehow doubt it.
Spider alumni from the NC team are applauding the hire. Our defense has not been as good since RH left. The offense is still loaded.
Lauletta is the leader of this team and, even after losing Brown, has a stable of talented receivers he's comfortable with, plus the three-headed running back monster will be back next year.
Perhaps one of the two QBs who were redshirting this year may follow. I have no idea how the rules would work if KJ transferred. Can his year of sitting out be the redshirt year he gave up for the playoffs?

Eight Legger
December 14th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Wow. As a 1979 graduate and season ticket holder at Chattanooga since 1981, this really surprises me. It is very disappointing that Huesman would make this move away from his alma mater. There must be something other than money involved that the average Joe is not aware, unless Huesman is more greedy than it appeared. This does not appear to be a move up except that Richmond has very deep pockets. I appreciate all the hard work that Huesman has done turning our program around, but just surprised he would leave for this situation when there is more work to be done.

All due respect to Chatty, but here are the playoffs records of both schools:
UTC – 4 playoff appearances (3 under Huesman), one appearance in the quarterfinals
UR – 11 playoff appearances, eight appearances in the quarterfinals, three in the semifinals, one national title

So yeah, UR is a better program. UTC certainly has a lot of potential to continue growing, however. I am somewhat surprised we were able to draw him back here and away from his alma mater, too, but I am very glad to have him back.

longtimemocfan
December 14th, 2016, 03:46 PM
All due respect to Chatty, but here are the playoffs records of both schools:
UTC – 4 playoff appearances (3 under Huesman), one appearance in the quarterfinals
UR – 11 playoff appearances, eight appearances in the quarterfinals, three in the semifinals, one national title

So yeah, UR is a better program. UTC certainly has a lot of potential to continue growing, however. I am somewhat surprised we were able to draw him back here and away from his alma mater, too, but I am very glad to have him back.

Your getting a very good coach especially defensively. He still will have to defeat some of his demons he had here. Special teams always plagued him here on a consistent basis and it cost him dearly in some of his playoff losses. The other biggy is he was only 13-21 in games decided by a touchdown or less. He should serve you well and I think he understands the culture at Richmond. Best of luck to him and your program.

PaladinFan
December 14th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Since 1995

Furman is 2-6 against UTC coached by Russ Huesman

14-0 against UTC teams not coached by Russ Huesman

Bye!

Scrappy94
December 14th, 2016, 04:17 PM
As much as I respect Huesman, I don't think his coaching trends will change because he took a new job. If I were a Richmond fan, I would get used to blowing out bad teams, losing by 1 score to good teams, almost always losing the big game, being on the bubble for a playoff seed, blowing out opponents in the first round, and finally losing by 5 or in overtime in the 2nd round. No disrespect to Richmond or Huesman, but these have been his trends for the last few years, and I don't see them changing.

spdram
December 14th, 2016, 08:00 PM
always liked the Mocs, and wish them the best. Sucks as we know for sure. Few points, RH developed great relationships while here and has maintained many of them since he left. I was also told his wife was from VA.

chattownmocs
December 14th, 2016, 08:19 PM
The question really comes down to whether he can start winning some close games. If he was .500 in close games Chattanooga would be a top 3-5 program in the country right now without a doubt. The illusion that richmond is an easier job or better program from the richmond people is fantasy. He will not be able to match the talent level he has had at chattanooga. Won't happen. He will need to start performing better in close games and if he does he can afford a slight talent downgrade.

Spider from the North
December 14th, 2016, 08:30 PM
The illusion that Richmond is a ....better program from the Richmond people is fantasy.
I suppose that what you say may appear true if you ignore the facts.
Maybe you should re-read the posts of this thread.
Maybe you could also share the basis of your reasoning as to why Huesman left Chatty for Richmond.

chattownmocs
December 14th, 2016, 08:50 PM
I suppose that what you say may appear true if you ignore the facts.
Maybe you should re-read the posts of this thread.
Maybe you could also share the basis of your reasoning as to why Huesman left Chatty for Richmond.

What facts? Historical success? Things change. I see richmond going a little further in the playoffs the last few years solely because of who they have played.

What I'm saying should be music to your ears. Surely this guy's terrible luck in close games won't follow him. I can promise you that he'll never get shutout by a team like eastern washington. He went there for money and because he likes richmond. Not because he will be able to win there more easily. I think that much is pretty clear. We lost to the number 1 ranked team in the country 3 straight years and thoroughly outplayed them twice. I doubt he's packing his bags because he can't win here

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 14th, 2016, 08:56 PM
What facts? Historical success? Things change. I see richmond going a little further in the playoffs the last few years solely because of who they have played.

What I'm saying should be music to your ears. Surely this guy's terrible luck in close games won't follow him. I can promise you that he'll never get shutout by a team like eastern washington. He went there for money and because he likes richmond. Not because he will be able to win there more easily. I think that much is pretty clear. We lost to the number 1 ranked team in the country 3 straight years and thoroughly outplayed them twice. I doubt he's packing his bags because he can't win here

I understand how you're feeling today because i felt the same way yesterday. It's OK. I'm sorry.

PaladinFan
December 14th, 2016, 09:51 PM
I expect Richmond's pay is better. May also advise where Huseman sees UTC football currently. Cannot ignore that the Mocs have lost a lot of their talented core the last two seasons. Rest of the SoCon is quickly closing the talent gap.

bostonspider
December 15th, 2016, 07:14 AM
He knows that UR has the ability to win a national title, as they did in his last season at UR. He left for more than just the money as he turned down 500k from Delaware a few weeks ago. He said UR was the ONLY FCS job he would have left UTC for.

MR. CHICKEN
December 15th, 2016, 07:36 AM
He knows that UR has the ability to win a national title, as they did in his last season at UR. He left for more than just the money as he turned down 500k from Delaware a few weeks ago. He said UR was the ONLY FCS job he would have left UTC for.

...LINK?.......IFIN' TRUE....HE WAS UH FOOL.......ROCCO LEFT...UNHAPPY WHIFF......SPIDER REGIME....&...8K...vs...22K......WON'T TAKE LONG FO' HUESMAN.....TA RUE DUH DAY.....BROCCO!!

MR. CHICKEN
December 15th, 2016, 07:48 AM

....HEY DOUGH-DOUGH.......IT'S WHAT DEY ALL SAY.........xrolleyesx........BROCCO!

bostonspider
December 15th, 2016, 08:36 AM
https://twitter.com/paulshahen/status/809175185488281603?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

bostonspider
December 15th, 2016, 08:39 AM
...LINK?.......IFIN' TRUE....HE WAS UH FOOL.......ROCCO LEFT...UNHAPPY WHIFF......SPIDER REGIME....&...8K...vs...22K......WON'T TAKE LONG FO' HUESMAN.....TA RUE DUH DAY.....BROCCO!! Be prepared after 5 years for him to look to move on. He did it to Liberty and he did it to UR, I would assume he will do it to UD. But he should be able to rebuild your moribund program.

PAllen
December 15th, 2016, 08:50 AM
The Richmond HC gig is also a pretty clear stepping stone to UVa or another FBS gig. More money, more exposure, better chance at an FBS gig in a few years. Makes sense to me.

MR. CHICKEN
December 15th, 2016, 09:04 AM
Be prepared after 5 years for him to look to move on. He did it to Liberty and he did it to UR, I would assume he will do it to UD. But he should be able to rebuild your moribund program.

.....DAT'S ALL WE ASK.........CAIN'T WAIT...TA SQUASH DUH SPIDERS.....AS YA SIT ON YER TUFFETS...........BROCCO!

MR. CHICKEN
December 15th, 2016, 09:07 AM
The Richmond HC gig is also a pretty clear stepping stone to UVa or another FBS gig. More money, more exposure, better chance at an FBS gig in a few years. Makes sense to me.

......NEED UH POLL...DOES HE (HUESMAN)......GET EVENTUALLAH CANNED.......OAR.....JOIN DUH MILLION DUCAT CLUB?......EITHER WAY....YER IN DUH SAME BOAT......BROCCO!

bostonspider
December 15th, 2016, 09:23 AM
I would assume you could say the same for Rocco. Does he have success and leave for an FBS gig, or who knows, maybe JMU considering his FCS movement... Or does he crash and burn like the last UD coach.

bostonspider
December 15th, 2016, 09:38 AM
It’s a top-10 job (in the FCS),” Huesman said of Richmond. “I left a top-10 job to come here. ... I knew Richmond. I knew what I was getting, what I was coming to, and that made a big, big difference in it. If you’re just an outsider looking and don’t really know what Richmond’s all about, you probably don’t make this move.

bostonspider
December 15th, 2016, 09:42 AM
http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/university-richmond/article_44783cf8-6e11-5132-a880-f0748d7f4cf3.html

Mattymc727
December 15th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Too bad this guy wont help you beat UNH!

Richmond hasnt beaten UNH since 2007

Huesman is 0-1 as well!

Thumper 76
December 15th, 2016, 11:15 AM
From an outsider looking in the CAA just got a bunch better by getting a good coach to resuscitate UD and a good coach to keep UR on track while the SoCon just got worse bye losing a coach who had given a historically mediocre team success and molded them into a top program for the conference.

Mocs123
December 15th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Huesman is a good coach and should do well at UR.

bostonspider
December 15th, 2016, 11:35 AM
I think it is interesting that Rocco said he had taken UR as far as HE could. Well Huesman was at UR when they went further (i.e. National Champs), and he expects to get the Spiders back there.

FUBeAR
December 15th, 2016, 12:16 PM
From an outsider looking in the CAA just got a bunch better by getting a good coach to resuscitate UD and a good coach to keep UR on track while the SoCon just got worse bye losing a coach who had given a historically mediocre team success and molded them into a top program for the conference.

I think you're settling up accounts at lunchtime instead of waiting until the end of the banking day.

If Chadwell goes to Chattanooga, I think one could say he is "a coach who had given a historically mediocre team success and molded them into a top program for the conference." And that he will "a good coach to keep UTC on track." Could one not?

If Furman hires Hendrix, I think one could say he is "a good coach to resuscitate FU." Could one not?

And then the 'accounts' would be in balance.

Now, I could see making the argument that Rocco is a proven Head Coach and Hendrix is not proven in that role...but if you knew how well thought of he is at Furman and at Air Force, then you wouldn't be so quick to make that argument. Those that do know would only give you a "we'll see" as a retort to your out of balance claim. They would not agree.

Besides...if the SoCon can lose 2 teams with 9 I-AA/FCS Championships between them and be the 2nd strongest conference in FCS, with 4 clearly Playoff-worthy Teams, just 3 seasons later, we can all be confident (or fearful, depending upon perspective) the SoCon can well survive (and advance) after a couple of spins on the Coaching carousel this season.

walliver
December 15th, 2016, 02:19 PM

I don't see how the SoCon gets worse by losing Huesman. He turned around a traditionally horrible (not mediocre) team, but only made the playoffs twice (there were several close calls prior to that). His most likely replacement (Chadwell) took over a program in even worse shape, with worse resources, and has made similar achievements. If Chatty falters, FU and Mercer are in position to step it up a notch and the SoCon will be OK.

I don't resent the CAA for any of this, they were kind enough to take Elon off our hands.

Mocs123
December 15th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Chattanooga was snubbed in 2013 (8 wins - left at home)
Chattanooga was a #8 seed in 2014 beat ISUb in the 2nd round and lost in the semis to UNH.
Chattanooga beat Fordaham in the first round and lost to JSU in OT in the 2nd round in 2015
Chattanooga beat Weber State in the first round this year, but lost to SHSU in the 2nd round

walliver
December 15th, 2016, 05:56 PM
Chattanooga was snubbed in 2013 (8 wins - left at home)
Chattanooga was a #8 seed in 2014 beat ISUb in the 2nd round and lost in the semis to UNH.
Chattanooga beat Fordaham in the first round and lost to JSU in OT in the 2nd round in 2015
Chattanooga beat Weber State in the first round this year, but lost to SHSU in the 2nd round

To my shame, I got my information from Wikipedia, I should have known better.

Nevertheless, if Chatty gets Chadwell, there will be no net loss to the conference.

longtimemocfan
December 15th, 2016, 06:11 PM

Nevertheless, if Chatty gets Chadwell, there will be no net loss to the conference.

Agree !! Russ had trouble beating the really good competition and was never better than 9-4. Losing all 3 playoff road games.

Thumper 76
December 15th, 2016, 07:22 PM

This is true. As it sits it is a loss.

Execute008
December 17th, 2016, 10:01 AM

Wow so he really is going to Delaware. Richmond can't catch a break.

chattownmocs
December 17th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Agree !! Russ had trouble beating the really good competition and was never better than 9-4. Losing all 3 playoff road games.

Wrong. He went 10-4 in 2014.

chattownmocs
December 17th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Russ Huesman in his 8 years at chattanooga vs FCS opponents:

10-19 vs ranked opponents
3-15 in 1 score games vs ranked opponents

Over the last 6 years chattanooga played 21 games against ranked fcs opponents. 1 out of 21 times they lost by more than 1 score. That's the good news. Huesmans teams are ultra competitive. The bad news. He's 1-13 in 1 score games in those 21 games.

It was there to be had at chattanooga. He couldn't grab it.that may all change at a program that is used to winning.

kdinva
December 24th, 2016, 08:53 PM
At least five UTC assistants are following Coach H to Richmond:

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Richmond: Chattanooga assistants who have followed Russ Huesman to Richmond include Jeff Durden (offensive coordinator), Adam Braithwaite (defensive coordinator), Adam Ross (OL), Carey Bailey (DL) and Rod West (DB).

I have not heard/read if Sparky Woods followed Rocco To Delaware, or what....

citdog
December 24th, 2016, 09:24 PM

38-35

SUCK IT SPARKY!!!

BigHouseClosedEnd
December 24th, 2016, 09:51 PM
Sparky is still at UR.

citdog
December 24th, 2016, 10:08 PM
Sparky is still at UR.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/postandcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/7c/d7c974ae-a5a3-596e-bb97-ded6e762f151/5806566181c91.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C782

longtimemocfan
December 25th, 2016, 09:03 AM
At least five UTC assistants are following Coach H to Richmond:

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Richmond: Chattanooga assistants who have followed Russ Huesman to Richmond include Jeff Durden (offensive coordinator), Adam Braithwaite (defensive coordinator), Adam Ross (OL), Carey Bailey (DL) and Rod West (DB).

Yeah he also on two different occasions said he told the recruits that they needed to honor their commitments to Chattanooga. He has since offered to at least one of them.

DallasSpider
December 25th, 2016, 11:39 PM
Yeah he also on two different occasions said he told the recruits that they needed to honor their commitments to Chattanooga. He has since offered to at least one of them.

That is a recruit's decision not Russ' whether he chooses to stay committed to UTC or not. When a recruit decommits he is fair game to anyone, so you would figure the coach who offered him previously would do it again. There is nothing dishonorable about that. In fact, decommitting would be the smartest move by a recruit when a coach changes. It allows the smoke to clear and allows for a clean evaluation of his future.

Bisonoline
December 26th, 2016, 12:40 AM
That is a recruit's decision not Russ' whether he chooses to stay committed to UTC or not. When a recruit decommits he is fair game to anyone, so you would figure the coach who offered him previously would do it again. There is nothing dishonorable about that. In fact, decommitting would be the smartest move by a recruit when a coach changes. It allows the smoke to clear and allows for a clean evaluation of his future.

Much to consider. Are you committing to a coach? The school? The program? A combination?

When Bohl left most of our recruits stayed with us due to long standing tradition and a winning program. Many schools dont have a winning programs so they are committing to the coaches sales pitch hoping to build a winning program and tradition.

longtimemocfan
December 26th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Much to consider. Are you committing to a coach? The school? The program? A combination?

When Bohl left most of our recruits stayed with us due to long standing tradition and a winning program. Many schools dont have a winning programs so they are committing to the coaches sales pitch hoping to build a winning program and tradition.

Not sure of the exact specifics on this recruit, but from what I can gather he pulled his commitment when Russ moved to Richmond. He said he wanted to see more or less what kind of staff would be in place and that Chattanooga would still be one of his top choices. Richmond gave him a offer from that point. Did he say what he did to make him look better because he wanted to go with Russ ? Who really knows at this point.