PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: YSU players and drug tests

dungeonjoe
December 12th, 2016, 08:33 PM
Breaking news out of Youngstown.

http://wkbn.com/2016/12/12/sources-ysu-football-players-may-be-suspended-for-semifinal-game/

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 12th, 2016, 08:36 PM
Ohh gees....

First twitter gate now pee gate..

FUBeAR
December 12th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Breaking news out of Youngstown.

http://wkbn.com/2016/12/12/sources-ysu-football-players-may-be-suspended-for-semifinal-game/

This has been up for 6 minutes already and citdog has not weighed in with his opinion. He slippin'

BTW - If you ask me, YSU should have to forfeit last week's game. Wofford should be declared the winner and make the trip out to EWU.

...and that opinion has NOTHING to do with the fact that my Bracket Challenge Team picked Woffy to go the final 4 nor that I picked Woffy as my Team to win in the Elimination Game....nothing at all to with that....nothing...really...no, really!

caribbeanhen
December 12th, 2016, 08:41 PM
so this is real?

penguinpower
December 12th, 2016, 08:59 PM
What they did is legal in Colorado

citdog
December 12th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Cheaters Gonna Cheat...

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 12th, 2016, 09:01 PM

Exactly. The whole thing is ridiculous. I thought a player was able to fail one without any penalty/suspension? Are these multiple infraction issues or special NCAA playoff rules?

penguinpower
December 12th, 2016, 09:03 PM
Very unfortunate, but outside of a few players the rest of the team was good. The players that did do the Ganja should be dealt with much more severely than the NCAA single game suspension requirement. I say kick them off the team. I wouldn't want them on my team.

BisonTru
December 12th, 2016, 09:06 PM
Very unfortunate, but outside of a few players the rest of the team was good. The players that did do the Ganja should be dealt with much more severely than the NCAA single game suspension requirement. I say kick them off the team. I wouldn't want them on my team.

Meh, I wouldn't ruin a kids college career over some pot. They were dumb, and a one game suspension seems appropriate.

Bisonoline
December 12th, 2016, 09:23 PM

It may be legal but team rules are team rules. You either follow them or pack your ****. Plus doing this crap during the season and playoffs?

JSUSoutherner
December 12th, 2016, 09:27 PM
This has been up for 6 minutes already and citdog has not weighed in with his opinion. He slippin'

BTW - If you ask me, YSU should have to forfeit last week's game. Wofford should be declared the winner and make the trip out to EWU.

...and that opinion has NOTHING to do with the fact that my Bracket Challenge Team picked Woffy to go the final 4 nor that I picked Woffy as my Team to win in the Elimination Game....nothing at all to with that....nothing...really...no, really!
Even though the tests came back after the Jax State game? That makes sense.

It may be legal but team rules are team rules. You either follow them or pack your ****. Plus doing this crap during the season and playoffs?

THANK YOU

alexale23
December 12th, 2016, 09:28 PM
....and California,Oregon,Washington,Mass,Alaska,Maine

citdog
December 12th, 2016, 09:29 PM
Meh, I wouldn't ruin a kids college career over some pot. They were dumb, and a one game suspension seems appropriate.

There are two places in this Subdivision where you get expelled for that.

kalm
December 12th, 2016, 09:30 PM

Completely this. Yes weed is unfortunately banned and they shouldn't let their team down by breaking the rules. But any rational adult knows that weed is relatively harmless...especially compared to booze. And I hate to break it to some of ya, but elite college football players have been smoking weed and passing tests since forever.

It will be nice when the country grows up and does away with attitudes like calling a failed test for marijuana, "substance abuse".

- - - Updated - - -

And both of those places are run by complete and utter morons.

SeattleGriz
December 12th, 2016, 09:30 PM
I think they lose half a season for a positive.

70MilesFromCanada
December 12th, 2016, 09:37 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24153&stc=1

Although Onterrio Smith (Minnesota Vikings) had a problem with it, the Whizzinator is highly recommended.

DUMB QUESTION: How do I prevent a thumbnail when I upload a photo and insert it into a message? It's driving me nuts. Thx.

TheKingpin28
December 12th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Just remember this though:

http://deadspin.com/da-admits-he-let-alabama-football-players-off-easy-beca-1782329285

Criminal justice is only in the eye of the beholder, unless your name is Nick Saban

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/12/11/snl-blindsides-alabama-academics-with-john-cena-as-a-football-player/?utm_term=.5abd32bf463e

Bisonoline
December 12th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Completely this. Yes weed is unfortunately banned and they shouldn't let their team down by breaking the rules. But any rational adult knows that weed is relatively harmless...especially compared to booze. And I hate to break it to some of ya, but elite college football players have been smoking weed and passing tests since forever.

It will be nice when the country grows up and does away with attitudes like calling a failed test for marijuana, "substance abuse".

- - - Updated - - -

And both of those places are run by complete and utter morons.

While I do agree with you on the stupid laws this is about being on a team. Breaking the rules and letting your teammates down and putting them in a bad position. Not only publicity wise but now the team will be short players.
You just cant fix stupid.

MR. CHICKEN
December 12th, 2016, 10:50 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24153&stc=1

Although Onterrio Smith (Minnesota Vikings) had a problem with it, the Whizzinator is highly recommended.

DUMB QUESTION: How do I prevent a thumbnail when I upload a photo and insert it into a message? It's driving me nuts. Thx.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24154&stc=1.....FLAW IN DUH BOARD...AH'VE GOT DUH SAME PROB......USED TA WORK NICE...NOW GET DUH REPEAT....MAKES FO' UH UN-CLEAN POST.....'NOTHERAH WAY TA INSERT?........xdontknowx........BRAWK!

FUBeAR
December 12th, 2016, 10:55 PM
Even though the tests came back after the Jax State game? That makes sense.

So...I was joking in my 1st post...BUT, I didn't know, at the time, that this was a result of testing after the JSU game. If this was an NCAA Post-Season Test...and the prescribed 'punishment' was a suspension for 1 game (or for the rest of the Playoffs...or whatever)...and YSU used Players that were, by NCAA rules, ineligible to play vs. Wofford, then, seriously, I do think they should forfeit and Wofford should head out to EWU. In an individual sport, you can 'post-date' the forfeit...say, a wrestler wins a Sectional event and then is found post-match, to have violated NCAA drug rules, then the 2nd Place wrestler can move along to the next round. Hard to do that with Team Sports because of the time it takes to process the tests and the preparation required - practice & logistics to get a different Team to the next round; so a next-game (or rest of Playoffs) suspension makes sense. If, though, a Team ignored such an NCAA-mandated suspension, then that's an EXTRAORDINARY violation and EXTRAORDINARY consequences would be in order.

I have no idea that this is/is not what happened....but if it did...Terriers may want to hit the practice field tomorrow...

Lehigh Football Nation
December 12th, 2016, 11:15 PM
Seriously, if YSU players failed a drug test two weeks ago yet Pelini let the players suit up and play last week anyway, how can you have them play the game this Saturday? That's the key question - what did Bo know, and when did Bo know it?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 12th, 2016, 11:30 PM
Seriously, if YSU players failed a drug test two weeks ago yet Pelini let the players suit up and play last week anyway, how can you have them play the game this Saturday? That's the key question - what did Bo know, and when did Bo know it?

Where's the NCAA on this then? I hate to go all Spadola and Lehigh but didn't the NCAA contact Lehigh before the Towson game about the tweets during the week? They basically told Sterrett/Coen to suspend him without saying suspend him. Lehigh balked and the NCAA forced the issue the next week against NDSU.

I'm not sure the true parallels here other than the NCAA sucks....

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2016, 12:42 AM
Some key details:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/dec/13/ysu-mum-on-which-players-or-substance-in/?newswatch

According to the NCAA’s website, stimulants, anabolic agents, diuretics and other masking agents, street drugs, peptide hormones and analogues, anti-estrogens and beta-2 agonists are all classes of drugs that are banned.

The NCAA also tests for steroids and masking agents year-round while testing for stimulants and recreational drugs during championships, such as the FCS playoffs.

At this time, it is not known if these suspensions are coming from the NCAA or from Youngstown State.

According to Dana Balash, sports director for 21 WFMJ-TV, The Vindicator’s broadcast partner, because of a positive result when YSU was tested after the Jacksonville State game, the results were re-tested later, which may have been the cause of the delay in suspending players until this week.

The NCAA splits urine samples given after championship events into two containers. After a positive test, the second specimen was tested at the NCAA testing site.

The NCAA’s website does not mention anything regarding forfeiture, meaning YSU’s win over Jacksonville State should stand regardless of drug-testing outcomes.

Still a lot we don't know, most importantly, whether they tested positive for reefer or for steroids. We also don't know whether this is NCAA-directed or Youngstown State voluntary. If it's NCAA-directed, then the NCAA needs to say precisely what the violation was and when Youngstown State was informed, and the "what did Bo know" question becomes relevant.

YSUGUIN
December 13th, 2016, 04:23 AM
While I do agree with you on the stupid laws this is about being on a team. Breaking the rules and letting your teammates down and putting them in a bad position. Not only publicity wise but now the team will be short players.
You just cant fix stupid.

I totally agree, the team has to be devastated, not to mention us fans who support them.

YSUGUIN
December 13th, 2016, 04:29 AM
To clarify, I do not think the laws are stupid, I believe the team was let down by some of the players. Apparently this testing is rather routine for playoff games? I'm not sure, have not really found the "rule book" on this topic yet, but if it is so routine, and YSU is the only team that is in trouble because of it, I am totally disappointed in our team, well, in some of our players. It will be interesting to see who doesn't show up. But, I will still watch, and support, the majority of our team. Go Guins.

penguinpower
December 13th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Pelini didn't knowingly play anyone as a result of the the test. NCAA only tested 12 at Jax State. One person popped.

The following week more testing was done on the rest of the team. The wofford game was played before the results came in. At the time of the wofford game they only knew that one player was positive for weed.

Why can't anyone piece that together?

ValleyTalk
December 13th, 2016, 06:10 AM
Pelini didn't knowingly play anyone as a result of the the test. NCAA only tested 12 at Jax State. One person popped.

The following week more testing was done on the rest of the team. The wofford game was played before the results came in. At the time of the wofford game they only knew that one player was positive for weed.

For the folks calling for them to forfeit the Wofford game, from the folks I talked with, the timeline described above is accurate. One source I know didn't know anything about it until late in day Sunday. Also, PP, Martin may not be the same situation, hence he got suspended a half last week.

Milktruck74
December 13th, 2016, 06:32 AM

and 3 in FBS and 2 in D3.

clenz
December 13th, 2016, 07:02 AM

I don't know.

I know UNI had a player get popped in the playoffs last season. He was apparently popped after Portland State and then played the next week at NDSU. Why? Because the results, supposedly, weren't given to UNI in time. Hell, the news of who it was didn't break until the second week of January when he declared he would be forgoing his red-shirt senior season to go to the NFL. It was never announced why he was leaving. It didn't take long to figure it out for those with connections. He was also randomly tested after Cal Poly. I never heard which one was the positive - of if he was for sure one of the players tested after PSU.

Supposedly the NCAA gave the choice that the sanction could be announced as him being suspended for a year, or since he was draft eligible he could declare for the draft and not a word would need to be said by UNI, the player, or the NCAA. And that's how UNI lost a linebacker that had 255 tackles, 30 TFL, 15.5 sacks, 3 picks and 10 forced fumbles in 2 and had been a multitime All Conference LB selection with eligibility left.

I don't know how long it takes to get the results back but I wouldn't bet on it being some sinister plan on the part of YSU.....

If you're getting me to say something like that, and not taking the soft toss in a home run derby chance to slam YSU then you know something is up.

kalm
December 13th, 2016, 07:18 AM
To clarify, I do not think the laws are stupid, I believe the team was let down by some of the players. Apparently this testing is rather routine for playoff games? I'm not sure, have not really found the "rule book" on this topic yet, but if it is so routine, and YSU is the only team that is in trouble because of it, I am totally disappointed in our team, well, in some of our players. It will be interesting to see who doesn't show up. But, I will still watch, and support, the majority of our team. Go Guins.

The laws and players can both be stupid. That is the case here. It would be like the NCAA suspending a 20 year old for underage drinking.

clawman
December 13th, 2016, 07:28 AM
These players deserve some privacy but that comes with a perception of secrecy. The school needs to get in front of this and lift the veil of secrecy while respecting the privacy of the players. They are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Ask YSU President Jim Tressel how secrecy works?
In the mean time how can someone jump to a conclusion without knowing the rest of the story?

PAllen
December 13th, 2016, 08:45 AM
So if they played a player who should have been ineligible due to the mandatory 1 game suspension, shouldn't YSU have to vacate the win over Wofford? Hopefully they lose this week and the point is moot, but how terrible would it be for them to win the semi final, then have the NCAA step in and declare them to have lost in the quarterfinals due to the ineligible player. Knowing the NCAA, they'd probably just wait until a month after the season to impose such a penalty, but still, can you imagine?

Libertine
December 13th, 2016, 08:47 AM
\ In the mean time how can someone jump to a conclusion without knowing the rest of the story?

That's kind of what we do as a species. Like, ALL THE TIME.

FUBeAR
December 13th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Knowing the NCAA, they'd probably just wait until a month after the season to impose such a penalty, but still, can you imagine?

Yes, and since Pelini and Tressel are have Nebraska and Ohio State heritage, the NCAA will put Central Connecticut on 2 years probation.

MR. CHICKEN
December 13th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Yes, and since Pelini and Tressel are have Nebraska and Ohio State heritage, the NCAA will put Central Connecticut on 2 years probation.

...........xlolxxlolxxlolx.......AWK!

clenz
December 13th, 2016, 09:02 AM
So if they played a player who should have been ineligible due to the mandatory 1 game suspension, shouldn't YSU have to vacate the win over Wofford? Hopefully they lose this week and the point is moot, but how terrible would it be for them to win the semi final, then have the NCAA step in and declare them to have lost in the quarterfinals due to the ineligible player. Knowing the NCAA, they'd probably just wait until a month after the season to impose such a penalty, but still, can you imagine?
You're assuming YSU knew. I can tell you, based on something similar with UNI last year as I already pointed out, it's entirely likely YSU had no idea if it was between the second round and the quarters.

ysubigred
December 13th, 2016, 09:10 AM
You're assuming YSU knew. I can tell you, based on something similar with UNI last year as I already pointed out, it's entirely likely YSU had no idea if it was between the second round and the quarters.

Knowing the discipline Bo instills on his players I'd say these young men would have rather faced the sheriffs department than Bo xsmiley_wix

http://nocoastbias.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Untitled-1-516x250.png

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2016, 09:10 AM

Probably because that's all hearsay at this point based on what I've seen. I've read all the articles that have popped up on Twitter and there's a lack of any information whatsoever coming from YSU or the NCAA on this. Just the standard "go to the SID" from those not in the athletic department and those in the AD saying "we have a policy to not comment on suspensions".

If it's so easy to piece together where are you getting the information in your above post?

Pinnum
December 13th, 2016, 09:52 AM

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/student-loan-ranger/2015/04/15/drug-convictions-can-send-financial-aid-up-in-smoke

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Pelini refusing to answer any questions about whether anyone is suspended or why in his weekly presser.

https://lessonsfromtheendofamarriage.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/pcfv01p10_15.jpg

If his strategy is to avoid any distractions he's going to achieve the opposite effect with this gag order.

ElCid
December 13th, 2016, 11:06 AM

Exactly. You may or may not agree with the whole pot thing, but it is irrelevant. The rules have been established and you either follow them or you do not. Unless of course you believe everyone can just follow rules which they believe in and ignore the rest. And if that is the case, you may not like the rules I would like to break in regard to some things.

There is only one thing important with this story and that is the timeline. Right now, there is too much speculation and YSU is obvious in damage control so they are most likely trying to craft the appropriate response. They also, obviously, took advantage of any of the rules regarding testing and retesting. It may not look good, but it if was a case of them following the rules, then don't get mad at them, get mad at the rules. I will wait until it plays out before I begin attacking. Hopefully it will be expedited.

ValleyTalk
December 13th, 2016, 11:50 AM
At the end of the day the 4-5 nailed won't be making the trip and won't be playing Saturday. Time for the next man up in those spots to prepare like crazy for this one. I can only imagine the chewing out Bo gave these 4-5 young men. College prepares you for life. These men are learning the hard way that you will be held accountable for all your actions. Nobody is above the law.

JMUisat14
December 13th, 2016, 11:56 AM
....and California,Oregon,Washington,Mass,Alaska,Maine

And DC...

penguinpower
December 13th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Exactly. You may or may not agree with the whole pot thing, but it is irrelevant. The rules have been established and you either follow them or you do not. Unless of course you believe everyone can just follow rules which they believe in and ignore the rest. And if that is the case, you may not like the rules I would like to break in regard to some things.

There is only one thing important with this story and that is the timeline. Right now, there is too much speculation and YSU is obvious in damage control so they are most likely trying to craft the appropriate response. They also, obviously, took advantage of any of the rules regarding testing and retesting. It may not look good, but it if was a case of them following the rules, then don't get mad at them, get mad at the rules. I will wait until it plays out before I begin attacking. Hopefully it will be expedited.

You have no basis for your response. You simply don't know. I know what is going on and all you do is spew hatred and conspiracy toward YSU. You bring no value to this conversation. I think they should expel them. Simple as that.

Time line conspiracy is just that. One person popped at Jax State. Further testing was done on more players the following week. Those results came in late Sunday afternoon indicating further issues. That happened after the Wofford game. And it is not performance enhancing it is performance attenuation drugs that could only help an opposing team.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2016, 12:27 PM
At the end of the day the 4-5 nailed won't be making the trip and won't be playing Saturday. Time for the next man up in those spots to prepare like crazy for this one. I can only imagine the chewing out Bo gave these 4-5 young men. College prepares you for life. These men are learning the hard way that you will be held accountable for all your actions. Nobody is above the law.

Pretty sure that is the problem - we can only imagine the punishments doled out rather than getting the complete story from either Youngstown or the NCAA.

kalm
December 13th, 2016, 12:34 PM
You have no basis for your response. You simply don't know. I know what is going on and all you do is spew hatred and conspiracy toward YSU. You bring no value to this conversation. I think they should expel them. Simple as that.

Time line conspiracy is just that. One person popped at Jax State. Further testing was done on more players the following week. Those results came in late Sunday afternoon indicating further issues. That happened after the Wofford game. And it is not performance enhancing it is performance attenuation drugs that could only help an opposing team.

I didn't see Elcid spewing any hatred.

I brought up the legality issue with the caveat that regardless they let down their team. Agreed that rules are rules and the two are separate issues but to clarify, testing positive for weed does not equal substance abuse or performance enhancement. I agree with you there. That's a separate story that I find interesting. How we view drugs in this country is truly idiotic and I guarantee you these guys are not alone in getting high. It was just dumb to take the risk and get caught.

Redbird007
December 13th, 2016, 12:40 PM
I didn't see Elcid spewing any hatred.

I brought up the legality issue with the caveat that regardless they let down their team. Agreed that rules are rules and the two are separate issues but to clarify, testing positive for weed does not equal substance abuse or performance enhancement. I agree with you there. That's a separate story that I find interesting. How we view drugs in this country is truly idiotic and I guarantee you these guys are not alone in getting high. It was just dumb to take the risk and get caught.

dumb to take the risk and get caught AND PUT YOURSELF IN PLACE WHERE YOU MAY NOT PLAY YOUR OPTIMAL GAME. Hell other teams should be sending bags of weed to their opponents.

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2016, 12:42 PM
dumb to take the risk and get caught AND PUT YOURSELF IN PLACE WHERE YOU MAY NOT PLAY YOUR OPTIMAL GAME. Hell other teams should be sending bags of weed to their opponents.
Well, at least they weren't trying to sell it. Although if they got caught doing that they wouldn't have missed any games I guess... xrolleyesx

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Well, they weren't trying to sell it. If they were they wouldn't have missed any games I guess... xrolleyesx

Likewise, had they simply been jetting around in a car paid for by donors, denials all around.

Paladin1aa
December 13th, 2016, 12:47 PM
It appears that there will be 5 suspensions, with 2 being 1st team All- MVFC and 2 being 2nd team All -MVFC. The 5th is a role player who is used often. Check the All -MVFC teams and you realize this is a significant hit with the players it could be. And YSU is NOT deep at some of these positions. Guins just became a serious underdog.

CockyGeek
December 13th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Oh no... The dreaded pot that many many more athletes do on a daily basis and just don't get caught. Lots of players get several suspensions for it. Just make them sit a game or whatever .

Redbird007
December 13th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Well, at least they weren't trying to sell it. Although if they got caught doing that they wouldn't have missed any games I guess... xrolleyesx

I see where you are coming from ..... Hey how's the weather?

woffordgrad94
December 13th, 2016, 12:52 PM
In my line of work (nuclear power plant contractor) we are subject to both pre-job and random drug and alcohol tests. If you fail for alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, or anything else, you're gone with no questions. Fired. Sacked. Goodbye. Hit the road, jack. You are eligible to reapply for unescorted nuclear plant access again after three years, but good luck with that. I've never seen anyone allowed back simply because there are too many clean people wanting these jobs. And I agree with this policy 100%. I for one think weed is stupid and don't see the appeal, It alters your brain, just like alcohol. I necertried it and never will. And these YSU players are selfish clowns who thought only of themselves and not their teammates and they deserve to be suspended about five games apiece. And IF YSU coaches knew about the failed drug tests and played those players anyway, then the coaches should be fired and YSU should forfeit the game they played in. I will say that I do not however think that is the case. I don't think they knew until after the Wofford game. Now I realize that a lot of you will see me as a wet blanket and disagree with some or all of this post, but this is how I feel.

Redbird007
December 13th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Oh no... The dreaded pot that many many more athletes do on a daily basis and just don't get caught. Lots of players get several suspensions for it. Just make them sit a game or whatever .

When you see a sports team hand out multiple suspensions at the same time that is likely going to be for failed NCAA drug tests. The team may mask it by saying the suspensions are handed out for violation of teams rules or not living up to team responsibilities at different times.

Lehigh'98
December 13th, 2016, 01:01 PM
In my line of work (nuclear power plant contractor) we are subject to both pre-job and random drug and alcohol tests. If you fail for alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, or anything else, you're gone with no questions. Fired. Sacked. Goodbye. Hit the road, jack. You are eligible to reapply for unescorted nuclear plant access again after three years, but good luck with that. I've never seen anyone allowed back simply because there are too many clean people wanting these jobs. And I agree with this policy 100%. I for one think weed is stupid and don't see the appeal, It alters your brain, just like alcohol. I necertried it and never will. And these YSU players are selfish clowns who thought only of themselves and not their teammates and they deserve to be suspended about five games apiece. And IF YSU coaches knew about the failed drug tests and played those players anyway, then the coaches should be fired and YSU should forfeit the game they played in. I will say that I do not however think that is the case. I don't think they knew until after the Wofford game. Now I realize that a lot of you will see me as a wet blanket and disagree with some or all of this post, but this is how I feel.

Luckily, your opinion is becoming archaic and dated with the passing of legalization in many states.

jsualumnus
December 13th, 2016, 01:10 PM
I just was thinking how bad it was for us, JSU, to get beat like we did and these dudes were pot heads... I'd understand if it were PED's and we lost like we did, but if it was pot then damn it!

kalm

Literally no one is denying they broke the rules and were selfish in their behavior. I'm also quite sure no one has a problem with requiring high risk jobs such as yours to be performed while sober.

You're of course entitled to the rest of your opinion regarding weed and booze but it comes off as quite ignorant. Grow up.

woffordgrad94
Luckily, your opinion is becoming archaic and dated with the passing of legalization in many states.
That might be, but they say they aren't ever changing the drug test rules for nuclear power plants. Not even, now get this, not even in states where the crap is legal now. So I can't partake and keep my job even if I wanted to. It's an NRC thing. After all, would you want some stoned high as **** clown working on nuclear power plant equipment where a mistake coukd cause another Three Mile Island or Chernobyl type incident?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2016, 01:19 PM
I'm OK with drug testing for people working on anything nuclear. Carry on.

woffordgrad94
December 13th, 2016, 01:21 PM
Oh, and I do drink alcohol IN MODERATION. That won't show up on the drug test after a few hours. Marijuana still shows up for at least a month after a joker smokes it. I never, however, drink and drive and fail to either have a designated driver or use an Uber like so many other people do.

TheRevSFA
December 13th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Yeah and even if weed is legal, companies still drug test, and my company has strict rules against using drugs or alcohol while working.

It's the discretion of the employer.

Iridebikes
December 13th, 2016, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=Lehigh'98;2435578]Luckily, your opinion is becoming archaic and dated with the passing of legalization in many states.[/QUO

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 13th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Pot is legal in Washington. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't there been drug testing after the Eastern Washington home playoff games? Won't there be testing after this week's semi-final game? Won't pot be one of the things they'll be testing for? Isn't the legalization therefore irrelevant? Until the NCAA and universities change their rules, that's what the players have to adhere to. To not do so, is dumb and lets your teammates and your school down. My gawd, how much discipline does it really take to not do weed during season?

kalm
December 13th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Oh, and I do drink alcohol IN MODERATION. That won't show up on the drug test after a few hours. Marijuana still shows up for at least a month after a joker smokes it. I never, however, drink and drive and fail to either have a designated driver or use an Uber like so many other people do.

You're more dangerous after a few hours post drinking than someone who last smoked weed 29 days ago.

TheRevSFA
December 13th, 2016, 01:32 PM
You're more dangerous after a few hours post drinking than someone who last smoked weed 29 days ago.

Exactly.

Weed isn't my thing (personal choice) but I sure as hell don't have issue with it...

Floridabison
December 13th, 2016, 01:50 PM
Opinions on pot use are moot as it relates to the situation. The legal or illegal laws in any given state are irrelevant.

If this is true or in question. YSU should take the high road and remove the players involved from the team until the investigation is complete. If it is true, they should vacate the win. Period.

Ask Baylor if they would do it differently if it happens again. Different yet same

ysubigred
December 13th, 2016, 02:07 PM
It appears that there will be 5 suspensions, with 2 being 1st team All- MVFC and 2 being 2nd team All -MVFC. The 5th is a role player who is used often. Check the All -MVFC teams and you realize this is a significant hit with the players it could be. And YSU is NOT deep at some of these positions. Guins just became a serious underdog.

Hmmm,, I only know of 1-1st teamer and 1-2nd teamer? You're either more up to date than I am, or just BS going around xconfusedx

clenz
December 13th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Opinions on pot use are moot as it relates to the situation. The legal or illegal laws in any given state are irrelevant.

If this is true or in question. YSU should take the high road and remove the players involved from the team until the investigation is complete. If it is true, they should vacate the win. Period.

Ask Baylor if they would do it differently if it happens again. Different yet same
That.....

um.....

Not even close.

BisonTru
December 13th, 2016, 02:11 PM

Baylor's guys were (allegedly) raping people. These kids smoked a little pot. One game suspension and all should be good in my book.

ysubigred
December 13th, 2016, 02:15 PM

LOL Vacate a W for a pot allegation?? Actually should be awarded extra points for being so mellow xbowx

TheRevSFA
December 13th, 2016, 02:16 PM

Yeah doing a bongload isn't the same as forceably penetrating a woman against her will

clenz
December 13th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Yeah doing a bongload isn't the same as forceably penetrating a woman against her will
And then systematical covering it up as an athletic department.

crabby terrier
December 13th, 2016, 02:19 PM

The NCAA picks a specific number of players at random and gives them a urine test after the game. I was celebrating in the team hotel after the El Cid win and I heard college administrators talking about some of the players that were away giving urine samples.

Floridabison
December 13th, 2016, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=TheRevSFA;2435651]Yeah doing a bongload isn't the same as forceably penetrating a woman against her will[/QUOTE

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2016, 02:27 PM
And then systematical covering it up as an athletic department.

And then having Jerry Fallwell Jr. look into your heart, decide you're innocent, and have him hire you

Wait that was a step too far

BisonTru
December 13th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Youngstown State University football player Martin Ruiz is facing firearm charges in Summit County, according to court records.

http://wkbn.com/2016/12/13/youngstown-state-football-player-faces-firearm-charges/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I-AA Fan
December 13th, 2016, 03:33 PM
Guys:

1. I guess I am the only one who carries a roster to the games? Look at the stats sheet (coaches level) and look at the player participation list. Obviously Someone was missing from our return and WR corpse for 1/2 the game. A lineman was out the entire game (but I also know that he was injured), as was an uninjured starting TB that did not play and it was "a coaches decision" if you listen to the post-game. I have no issue with them keeping it nameless, as long as they acknowledge that it happened and the correct steps have been taken.

2. Why does everyone think Tressel is involved in YSU athletics? He has not been officially involved since 2000& the rest was as a benefactor until his hiring as University President. Jim Tressel has ZERO to do with the day-to-day activities of YSU football, other than he usually signs the contracts that Ron Strollo (the AD and person who is actively involved in the day-to-day activities of the Athletics department) gives him to sign. Tressel can certainly question a contract, but that is not likely to happen. Yes, Tressel can and does attend every YSU game. My gosh he is amazing in that he attends everything YSU does. I just saw him in Columbus where he was being honored and meeting with the area alumni association to get mentors for the school freshman from the Columbus area. Assuming it is an open practice, he can even go in the locker-room, talk to the team, watch practice just like any other employee. He could probably even comment on players and make recommendations ...but that would probably violate the "spirit" of the law. Something that he simply would not do. He is no Saint, but he is no idiot and a quality president ...much better than I would have ever thought. Is he cheating their as well ;). I also think he is still under NCAA order until next year.

3. The rules are clear for substance use/abuse and distinguished from performance enhancing stimulants. If this is weed, then the NCAA will likely turn it over to the school with or without recommendation. If it is performance-enhancing drugs then we are all "out of our leagues" to even begin commenting. The latter is doubtful.

4. This has almost nothing to do with weed. These kids violated the law and let their team down ...is there anymore to say that is not some attempt to politicize this topic or spread unfounded, unintelligent and unwarranted hatred for YSU employees? Furthermore the violators should be lucky that it happened in a random school-program test, or it would be a legal matter staying with them the rest of their lives. As yu see in the last post before this one. I am amazed that they would let so many people down and they knew there was mandated testing and STILL did it. It is simply a question of character and brains.

So much for my Sudso commercial. All of this being said, let's move on and see how we can game plan for EWU ...weather not looking promising for even NE Ohio and Eastern Washington residents. Not to mention the 30+ players that attend YSU from the South and SoCal.

On a more personal note, I am so very proud of this club and all of the issues (and QB's) they have gone through this season, they have exceeded my expectations, but not their own. They are certainly not finished yet.

PurpleStreamers
December 13th, 2016, 04:06 PM
And then having Jerry Fallwell Jr. look into your heart, decide you're innocent, and have him hire you

Wait that was a step too far

LFN - the whole "PL/Lehigh is holier than thou" routine irks me sometimes, but this is funny!

woffordgrad94
December 13th, 2016, 04:45 PM
I totally agree. That's why I only drink if I am off the next day and only if I can walk back home or back to my motel or have someone to drive me. But you're still fired from my job if you have weed in your system from 29 days ago and it shows up in a drug test. I know you people disagree with that, but oh well...what you think does not matter here.

woffordgrad94
December 13th, 2016, 04:58 PM
I have learned that a starting linebacker for YSU is facing gun charges. He was suspended during the regular season but allowed to play in the playoffs. I will simply say that I am fairly certain that they would never do that at Wofford...that player would be kicked off the team and maybe expelled from school. Gun charges are a whole lot worse than smoking pot. And RB Ruiz is now facing gun charges on campus...he played against Wofford too. Again, I am fairly certain that Wofford would not have a young man like Mr. Ruiz on any of its athletic teams and the school might expel him. Wofford once had a very promising freshman defensive back who was caught stealing a TV from a dorm room. He was kicked off the team and expelled. I bet this person would have continued to play football at YSU. And Bo Pellini is VERY defensive about the gun brothers, refusing to comment on the stories and blaming the breaking of the stories on the media and the team's success and banning the reporter breaking the story from practice. YSU and Mr. Pellini must REALLY want to win football games very badly. And perhaps they should change their name from Penguins to Outlaws. Wow, there's some ****ed up **** going on up there.

kalm
December 13th, 2016, 05:08 PM
I totally agree. That's why I only drink if I am off the next day and only if I can walk back home or back to my motel or have someone to drive me. But you're still fired from my job if you have weed in your system from 29 days ago and it shows up in a drug test. I know you people disagree with that, but oh well...what you think does not matter here.

So the fact weed can be detected in your system longer than booze makes you less of a "joker"?

TennBison
December 13th, 2016, 05:31 PM

Because your athletic department is not making any comments that is why.

ValleyTalk
December 13th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Because your athletic department is not making any comments that is why.
Well guess who does know the whole story, the NCAA compliance folks. If the NCAA finds something in addition, they will most certainly come out with it. These five players are out and it is time for this team to move on. Can't undo the selfish actions of these five student-athletes.

JMUisat14
December 13th, 2016, 05:46 PM
So the fact weed can be detected in your system longer than booze makes you less of a "joker"?

The amount of "Holier than thou" posts on this thread is hilarious. Some people really need to get a grip. How many lives have been ruined by alcohol, how many by pot? Or better yet, how many millions of dollars does alcohol addiction cost our healthcare system vs pot?

Hint: it's not even f***ing close

At the end of the day everyone is just chasing a dopamine release. some like to get there with food, some with alcohol, some with green, and others exercise like it's their job... the list is endless. Different strokes for different folks.

ValleyTalk
December 13th, 2016, 05:48 PM
I have learned that a starting linebacker for YSU is facing gun charges.
Next time, a simple Google search will answer things you read on the web.

Link: http://wkbn.com/2016/08/23/ysu-players-sentenced-for-shots-fired-on-campus/
Lee Wright was sentenced to one year of probation and 150 hours of community service for improper handling of a firearm.

dungeonjoe
December 13th, 2016, 06:08 PM

Link: http://wkbn.com/2016/08/23/ysu-players-sentenced-for-shots-fired-on-campus/
Lee Wright was sentenced to one year of probation and 150 hours of community service for improper handling of a firearm.

Different player than the one you mention:
http://wkbn.com/2016/12/13/youngstown-state-football-player-faces-firearm-charges/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Redbird007
December 13th, 2016, 06:12 PM

As a nuclear operator I hope they test you each and every day. As for the football players why is the NCAA testing for something that is not performance enhancing? I could see why a coach might want to know if a player is smoking weed and showing up sluggish but the NCAA? The NCAA might as well go do some random apartment/dorm searches to check to see what else is going on. I am not pro-weed but just seems a waste of time.

Daved
December 13th, 2016, 06:15 PM
I have learned that a starting linebacker for YSU is facing gun charges. He was suspended during the regular season but allowed to play in the playoffs. I will simply say that I am fairly certain that they would never do that at Wofford...that player would be kicked off the team and maybe expelled from school. Gun charges are a whole lot worse than smoking pot. And RB Ruiz is now facing gun charges on campus...he played against Wofford too. Again, I am fairly certain that Wofford would not have a young man like Mr. Ruiz on any of its athletic teams and the school might expel him. Wofford once had a very promising freshman defensive back who was caught stealing a TV from a dorm room. He was kicked off the team and expelled. I bet this person would have continued to play football at YSU. And Bo Pellini is VERY defensive about the gun brothers, refusing to comment on the stories and blaming the breaking of the stories on the media and the team's success and banning the reporter breaking the story from practice. YSU and Mr. Pellini must REALLY want to win football games very badly. And perhaps they should change their name from Penguins to Outlaws. Wow, there's some ****ed up **** going on up there.You are right--Ruiz did play against Wofford--one play,he was suspended for the first half and ran the ball once in the second half--had he played chances are the game wouldn't have been so close.

dungeonjoe
December 13th, 2016, 06:17 PM

It is not the drugs that are the problem for me. It's the guns. It's the coach suspending players for season only to reinstate them for the playoffs. It is the seeming lack of institutional control.

YSUGUIN
December 13th, 2016, 06:23 PM

I agree! I am a state employee, nurse, had to be pre-tested and have random tests. Not a problem, agree with what you say, agree with the policy.

taper
December 13th, 2016, 06:45 PM
It is not the drugs that are the problem for me. It's the guns. It's the coach suspending players for season only to reinstate them for the playoffs. It is the seeming lack of institutional control.

The 2 guys with the negligent discharge on campus deserve what they got, but the recent story is a joke. Arrested for having a gun in the closed glovebox? Completely constitutional, whether or not certain people want to believe otherwise.

As for YSU(and other public institutions) not discussing player discipline, I think FERPA covers this. On campus discipline isn't announced for regular students, why are athletes different?

PAllen
December 13th, 2016, 06:45 PM
As a nuclear operator I hope they test you each and every day. As for the football players why is the NCAA testing for something that is not performance enhancing? I could see why a coach might want to know if a player is smoking weed and showing up sluggish but the NCAA? The NCAA might as well go do some random apartment/dorm searches to check to see what else is going on. I am not pro-weed but just seems a waste of time.

If you can't understand how abuse of a pain killer could be used to improve performance in a contact sport, then well....

PAllen
December 13th, 2016, 06:49 PM

Honest question, is there any chance at a second test depending on what you tested positive for? I completely understand and agree with the idea behind the policy, but I'd hate to fire a whole shift because someone brought poppy seed bagels into the break room.

Iridebikes
December 13th, 2016, 06:50 PM
The amount of "Holier than thou" posts on this thread is hilarious. Some people really need to get a grip. How many lives have been ruined by alcohol, how many by pot? Or better yet, how many millions of dollars does alcohol addiction cost our healthcare system vs pot?

Hint: it's not even f***ing close

At the end of the day everyone is just chasing a dopamine release. some like to get there with food, some with alcohol, some with green, and others exercise like it's their job... the list is endless. Different strokes for different folks.

The abuse of alcohol and the use of marijuana both have detrimental effects. Please do a little reading on effects of marijuana usage from the National Institute of Health. The best thing that we can do for these young men is to encourage them to take advantage of the opportunity that they've been given to play D1 ball and take care of their bodies by not polluting them with these substances.

ValleyTalk
December 13th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Different player than the one you mention:
You said linebacker, I gave you the linebacker. You are speaking of Ruiz, the running back.

TennBison
December 13th, 2016, 07:04 PM
In the end, it does not matter if anyone thinks a little pot is a bad thing or not. It is a simple thing to understand, pot is a forbidden substance according to the NCAA. Players are made aware when they join a team of the rules. Just like the saying when it comes to drinking, there is no such thing as just a little drunk. Chances are that this is not the first time they have smoked pot( if that is indeed what they were found to have had in their systems). Young men make mistakes, they need to pay for it, learn from it, and move on. You don't need to like the rules, but you do have to abide by them and if you can't then to bad.

penguinpower
December 13th, 2016, 07:06 PM
I cannot believe how many people support using weed. I have never used the stuffand I've been told it is not good for you and it is against the law. So why would anyone give a pass on this?

BisonTru
December 13th, 2016, 07:11 PM
I cannot believe how many people support using weed. I have never used the stuffand I've been told it is not good for you and it is against the law. So why would anyone give a pass on this?

Literally nobody in this entire thread has said they should get a pass. The debate is really some think a one game suspension is sufficient, and others are asking for more. I believe you want them expelled. That seems pretty excessive for the offense committed, IMO.

TennBison
December 13th, 2016, 07:19 PM
The abuse of alcohol and the use of marijuana both have detrimental effects. Please do a little reading on effects of marijuana usage from the National Institute of Health. The best thing that we can do for these young men is to encourage them to take advantage of the opportunity that they've been given to play D1 ball and take care of their bodies by not polluting them with these substances.
To many TV news shows that debate the Pros/Cons of legalizing pot have shown that the pot smoked now has become twice as strong as pot smoked like 4-5 years ago. And that the stuff from back in the 80's is like drinking 3% beer and that today's pot is like drinking moonshine. It is a proven fact that drug use progresses at the same % in just as many people as alcohol use does in drinkers. To many people fall back on the old thinking of the 60's, believing it is just a harmless release. And to some it is, but to some it isn't, and the reason alcohol always gets the most negative press and has a higher percentage per population of heavy to abusive drinkers is because it is legal and almost anyone can go down the street and buy it.

dungeonjoe
December 13th, 2016, 07:20 PM
You said linebacker, I gave you the linebacker. You are speaking of Ruiz, the running back.

I didn't say linebacker that was 94. I realize we Wofford fans all look alike:)

SeattleGriz
December 13th, 2016, 07:26 PM
Some key details:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/dec/13/ysu-mum-on-which-players-or-substance-in/?newswatch

Still a lot we don't know, most importantly, whether they tested positive for reefer or for steroids. We also don't know whether this is NCAA-directed or Youngstown State voluntary. If it's NCAA-directed, then the NCAA needs to say precisely what the violation was and when Youngstown State was informed, and the "what did Bo know" question becomes relevant.
It's called a screen and confirm. Run an inexpensive test and only back it up with the more expensive one when it is positive.

The second test does take longer and you also have to tack into account how long it took the NCAA to get it to the lab.

penguinpower
December 13th, 2016, 07:27 PM
Literally nobody in this entire thread has said they should get a pass. The debate is really some think a one game suspension is sufficient, and others are asking for more. I believe you want them expelled. That seems pretty excessive for the offense committed, IMO.

Yes expelled. How can you win with that culture?

penguinpower
December 13th, 2016, 07:36 PM
I was told that the University cannot use names unless they indicted or found guilty in a court of law. The results are in and I say they are guilty. But I say in this case they are guilty until proven innocent. How are you innocent when you get the results? Anyone a lawyer on here?

penguinpower
December 13th, 2016, 07:38 PM
I don't understand.

semobison
December 13th, 2016, 07:39 PM

i am 57 years old and you are in about the 10% of people I know who have never smoked weed. Pot was a big part of my college experience and I knew many athletes that smoked the green leaf back in the days before testing. That being said, I grew out of it when I got into the work force but have known many more people whose lives were ruined by alcohol. Yes it is against the law or rules but I feel bad for these KIDS. The NCAA is still light years behind the realities of pot and alcohol use and abuse!

dudeitsaid
December 13th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Weed is how you really "make the game slow down."

Redbird007
December 13th, 2016, 07:50 PM
If you can't understand how abuse of a pain killer could be used to improve performance in a contact sport, then well....

OK then test for ibuprofen and aspirin too. Like these players are really smoking weed to manage pain and play football.

BisonHype!
December 13th, 2016, 07:52 PM
This whole thing stinks for the YSU players and the fanbase. I still wish them luck against EWU, but it will be even more difficult down a few players. Shame on the players that tested positive for putting the season in jeopardy.

penguinpower
December 13th, 2016, 07:58 PM
This whole thing stinks for the YSU players and the fanbase. I still wish them luck against EWU, but it will be even more difficult down a few players. Shame on the players that tested positive for putting the season in jeopardy.

Totally agree!

dudeitsaid
December 13th, 2016, 08:02 PM
Obviously, the issue of smoking marijuana is a polarizing one in our modern society in general. Some may see that as a big moral failure of the players in itself. But I think there is enough debate on the issue to put it in the same class as if they had become intoxicated. Probably also against the rules, but not really perceived to be a critical moral issue in our country overall.

The big factor, as has been repeated, is that if they knowingly broke team rules, regardless of what those rules are, there should be appropriate consequences.

Honestly, I'd rather face the team at full strength. Whoever wins, I'd rather there be no doubt they are the better team.

BisonHype!
December 13th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Obviously, the issue of smoking marijuana is a polarizing one in our modern society in general. Some may see that as a big moral failure of the players in itself. But I think there is enough debate on the issue to put it in the same class as if they had become intoxicated. Probably also against the rules, but not really perceived to be a critical moral issue in our country overall.

The big factor, as has been repeated, is that if they knowingly broke team rules, regardless of what those rules are, there should be appropriate consequences.

Honestly, I'd rather face the team at full strength. Whoever wins, I'd rather there be no doubt they are the better team.

I honestly believe that most will know that EWU is the better team even though this handicaps YSU a little. I don't think there will be a question unless this turns into a one possession game. That being said, I will be rooting for the fellow MVFC team.

BisonTru
December 13th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Yes expelled. How can you win with that culture?

Really?

I can bet you NDSU has players that smoke, and we win a lot. Hopefully they're smart enough to give it up anywhere near playoff time or any other time they may be tested.

This isn't a culture problem this is players being dumb, and/or a coaching staff that didn't inform them the NCAA does random testing in the playoffs.

mvemjsunpx
December 13th, 2016, 08:41 PM
I was told that the University cannot use names unless they indicted or found guilty in a court of law. The results are in and I say they are guilty. But I say in this case they are guilty until proven innocent. How are you innocent when you get the results? Anyone a lawyer on here?

Possession of marijuana is a crime, not having it in your system.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 13th, 2016, 08:53 PM
So let me get this straight, this is not just kids with positive drug tests, but they also had guns? Are these different kids, or the same kids?

Drunk football players packing heat is not a good look

penguinpower
December 13th, 2016, 09:08 PM
So let me get this straight, this is not just kids with positive drug tests, but they also had guns? Are these different kids, or the same kids?

Drunk football players packing heat is not a good look
Guns, where are you getting guns?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Redbird007
December 13th, 2016, 09:13 PM
In the end, it does not matter if anyone thinks a little pot is a bad thing or not. It is a simple thing to understand, pot is a forbidden substance according to the NCAA. Players are made aware when they join a team of the rules. Just like the saying when it comes to drinking, there is no such thing as just a little drunk. Chances are that this is not the first time they have smoked pot( if that is indeed what they were found to have had in their systems). Young men make mistakes, they need to pay for it, learn from it, and move on. You don't need to like the rules, but you do have to abide by them and if you can't then to bad.

I agree with the concept that rules have to be followed and there should be some form of discipline. That is not point. I am on the broader topic of where the ncaa is focused. I think the NCAA needs to reevaluate what they are testing and trying to detect. Testing for pot, when it is now legal in 6 states and does not help performance, seems like a waste of time. How about the NCAA finish up with the academic debacle at the University of North Carolina? Seems like that woudl be much more productive.

penguinpower
December 13th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Possession of marijuana is a crime, not having it in your system.

Wow. Truely living in a world I don't understand

Schwarz04
December 13th, 2016, 09:27 PM
I agree with the concept that rules have to be followed and there should be some form of discipline. That is not point. I am on the broader topic of where the ncaa is focused. I think the NCAA needs to reevaluate what they are testing and trying to detect. Testing for pot, when it is now legal in 6 states and does not help performance, seems like a waste of time. How about the NCAA finish up with the academic debacle at the University of North Carolina? Seems like that woudl be much more productive.

Whether pot being illegal is a good law or not, it's the law, how hard is it to understand that, and not break the law, especially when you know there is substance testing for it and you're in the middle of a deep playoff run?

TennBison
December 13th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Guns, where are you getting guns?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Your RB who only was in for one play last weekend. He was pulled over I believe a few days before the game based on the date in the mug shot. During the traffic stop they found he was in possession of pot, and had a loaded weapon in the car.

MR. CHICKEN
December 14th, 2016, 07:19 AM
Your RB who only was in for one play last weekend. He was pulled over I believe a few days before the game based on the date in the mug shot. During the traffic stop they found he was in possession of pot, and had a loaded weapon in the car.

......WHAA...DOES UH LAD......WHO CAN BENCH HIS OWN WEIGHT.....25 REPS.....NEED UH LOADED ROD....xconfusedx....OH YEAH.......DUH MEXICANS.......xeekx....BROCCO!

Redbird007
December 14th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Whether pot being illegal is a good law or not, it's the law, how hard is it to understand that, and not break the law, especially when you know there is substance testing for it and you're in the middle of a deep playoff run?
Well it is not the law in several states now so it is not black and white as you seem to make it. Should the ncaa only test in states where it is illegal? Again the Young Penguins broke team rules and ncaa rules and need to be disciplined. That i agree. However, prospectively is this something (pot) that NCAA should be testing for given it is legal in several states and does not enhance performance? Seems like a waste of time to me. If they are going to check for pot that is now legal in some states then some could make the argument that the NCAA should also be checking for underage alcohol. I am not advocating smoking pot but it just seems like the NCAA is getting into an area that does not make any sense.

jmufan999
December 14th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Wow. Truely living in a world I don't understand

you're coming across as an old geezer, so I'm not at all surprised you don't understand this world. you're suggesting that after someone gets caught with weed or tests positive, they should be thrown off the team and then kicked out of school. you said "expelled". maybe you meant kicked off the team instead. both are totally ludicrous, but expulsion is so incredibly asinine that I wouldn't even know where to begin. so I agree, this world must be very confusing to you, Grandpa.

UNIFanSince1983
December 14th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Well it is not the law in several states now so it is not black and white as you seem to make it. Should the ncaa only test in states where it is illegal? Again the Young Pengiums broke team rules and ncaa rules and need to be disciplined. That i agree. However, prospectively is this something (pot) that NCAA should be testing for given it is legal in several states and does not enhance performance? Seems like a waste of time to me. If they are going to check for pot that is now legal in some states then some could make the argument that the NCAA should also be checking for underage alcohol. I am not advocating smoking pot but it just seems like the NCAA is getting into an area that does not make any sense.

The legality in certain states doesn't matter. A private "employer" can test you and punish you for whatever they want. If the NCAA says it is illegal in their rules then that is what it is. However, there is truly no reason to be testing for it. It does not enhance performance. In fact some might argue it is degrades performance. It does have great medical purposes and is great for pain and far less addictive and harmful than the opiate painkillers most of these athletes will be prescribed and are not illegal according to the NCAA. Like you say while they are at it maybe they should test for alcohol or suspend players for drinking. That is far worse than pot. In the end it will take a while before these things are changed so kids just need to know they will be tested after playoff games.

kalm
December 14th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Weed is how you really "make the game slow down."

Can't let this little gem go unnoticed!xsmileyclapx

There are some excellent points in the preceding 3 posts. Again, for the 5th time, no one is saying these guys shouldn't have followed the rules but if you think testing positive for weed is proof of anything more serious than having two pints at the bar you are woefully misinformed. It's an interesting societal question that every year costs the tax payers billions of dollars so it's a relevant side note.

Lehigh'98
December 14th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Can't let this little gem go unnoticed!xsmileyclapx

There are some excellent points in the preceding 3 posts. Again, for the 5th time, no one is saying these guys shouldn't have followed the rules but if you think testing positive for weed is proof of anything more serious than having two pints at the bar you are woefully misinformed. It's an interesting societal question that every year costs the tax payers billions of dollars so it's a relevant side note.

Correct. I'd like to hear the people that want to expel these kids say they would do the same if they got caught having a few beers.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2016, 11:32 AM
http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/dec/14/pelini-mum-team-suspensions-gun-charges/

Sources have told The Vindicator that Martin Ruiz, 21, a Youngstown State University senior running back, is one of five players suspended from playing Saturday in the FCS national semifinal game against Eastern Washington.

While sources said Ruiz is one of five players who failed NCAA substance testing, The Vindicator also obtained records from Stow Municipal Court that show Tallmadge police arrested Ruiz after a traffic stop for making an improper turn about 12:20 a.m. Dec. 6 – three days after the Penguins’ victory over Jacksonville State.

A report from Tallmadge police said officers smelled marijuana inside the car after the traffic stop. Police made Ruiz and a passenger get out of the vehicle so they could search it.

Reports said suspected marijuana residue was found on the driver’s seat and a loaded handgun was found in the glove compartment.

Ruiz told police the gun was not his, though he did know it was in the car, reports said. Reports said Ruiz also told police the gun did not belong to the passenger who was with him.

Ruiz was taken to the Summit County jail before appearing via video arraignment later Dec. 6 in Stow Municipal Court.

Ruiz should not have played a single down against Wofford.

Redbird007
December 14th, 2016, 11:45 AM

That is the same thing I thought. I wonder how that happened?... meaning if the coaches only used him for one down given the noise/legal issues out there why use him at all? In my mind the fact that he played one down is no different than if he played the whole game. Hard to understand what the coaches were thinking.

ElCid
December 14th, 2016, 11:48 AM

You sir are an idiot. Re-read my post. I was defending YSU you bone head. Comprehension is FUNDAMENTAL.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 14th, 2016, 11:58 AM
YSU players are not very smart..........all they had to do is wait to smoke this week in Washington where pot is legal, come on people use your brains......................................

grayghost06
December 14th, 2016, 12:45 PM
As a lifelong Nebraska fan, I can only imagine the volcano that erupted when Pelini found out. Seriously, I don't know how he hasn't had a heart attack or stroke
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/451038023791038464/wG6l0e_5_400x400.jpeg

ysubigred
December 14th, 2016, 01:08 PM

Did you ever think there was nothing prohibiting him from playing? Maybe the one play was to send Mr. Ruiz a message that this is his last as a YSU player xsmileyclapx

P.s. he gained 3 yards not like he took it to the house and changed the game geeezzz!!

citdog
December 14th, 2016, 01:22 PM
So these suspensions aren't "Just for Weed" after all....

cidgrad89
December 14th, 2016, 01:28 PM
I take offense that you find men who have put their lives on the line for this great nation are "morons". I'll buy you a one way ticket to anywhere in the world you would like. PM me if interested.

Criticize our football program, fine. Criticize soldiers and I'm coming after you (figuratively of course)

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2016, 01:32 PM
I take offense that you find men who have put their lives on the line for this great nation are "morons". I'll buy you a one way ticket to anywhere in the world you would like. PM me if interested.

Criticize our football program, fine. Criticize soldiers and I'm coming after you (figuratively of course)
xconfusedx

Who are you even talking to?

Sycamore62
December 14th, 2016, 01:51 PM
You in here for some marijuana?
MARIJUANA?!?!?!?!?!?!?
MAN THIS IS SOME BULLS**T
I used to suc* d**k for Coke
You ever su**ed d**k for Marijuana?

I didnt think so

ysubigred
December 14th, 2016, 01:54 PM
You in here for some marijuana?
MARIJUANA?!?!?!?!?!?!?
MAN THIS IS SOME BULLS**T
I used to suc* d**k for Coke
You ever su**ed d**k for Marijuana?

I didnt think so

xconfusedx AARP ^^^ :D

Sycamore62
December 14th, 2016, 01:54 PM
xconfusedx AARP ^^^ :D
From Half Baked

ysubigred
December 14th, 2016, 01:57 PM
From Half Baked

You're too young to watch that stuff

Sycamore62
December 14th, 2016, 01:59 PM
You're too young to watch that stuff
Possibly, if anyone wants to borrow my VHS copy they can, just give me an address.

kalm
December 14th, 2016, 02:54 PM

Well I don't want you offended and I'll admit I jumped the gun a little there in not thinking it through on who Citdog was referring to. :D

Those circumstances are different and while the premise in this day and age of treating pot different than booze is silly, I get the distinction in this instance. IOW's I was in no way intending to criticize our troops.

Peace? xthumbsupx

ysubigred
December 14th, 2016, 03:02 PM

Not to beat you up but "Soldier, Soldiers, Cadet" is always capitalized xsalutex

dudeitsaid
December 14th, 2016, 03:05 PM
As a lifelong Nebraska fan, I can only imagine the volcano that erupted when Pelini found out. Seriously, I don't know how he hasn't had a heart attack or stroke
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/451038023791038464/wG6l0e_5_400x400.jpeg
He must only avoid that because he has a comfort animal.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Schwarz04
December 14th, 2016, 03:10 PM
Well it is not the law in several states now so it is not black and white as you seem to make it. Should the ncaa only test in states where it is illegal? Again the Young Penguins broke team rules and ncaa rules and need to be disciplined. That i agree. However, prospectively is this something (pot) that NCAA should be testing for given it is legal in several states and does not enhance performance? Seems like a waste of time to me. If they are going to check for pot that is now legal in some states then some could make the argument that the NCAA should also be checking for underage alcohol. I am not advocating smoking pot but it just seems like the NCAA is getting into an area that does not make any sense.

Okay whatever... It still seems pretty simple to me. If there's something illegal in the state you are living in or going to school in or visiting, why the **** would you do it?

JMUisat14
December 14th, 2016, 03:17 PM

Translation: I have an uninformed opinion on something and have let the institutions that exist in my life shape that entire opinion. It is an opinion on something I actually have zero personal experience with.

Holy cow. This mindset can not die out fast enough. And I'm not talking about pot anymore. Just in general, people need to be more curious about the world around them and less trusting of the status quo.

Again, I am not giving these players a free pass and I don't think anyone in this thread is. If those are the rules, as ill-conceived as they may be, those are the rules. You have to play the game if you want to win. But the "they should be expelled for smoking a plant" is just comical.

dudeitsaid
December 14th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Well I don't want you offended and I'll admit I jumped the gun a little there in not thinking it through on who Citdog was referring to. :D

Those circumstances are different and while the premise in this day and age of treating pot different than booze is silly, I get the distinction in this instance. IOW's I was in no way intending to criticize our troops.

Peace? xthumbsupx

I don't know...there are some slight differences. Alcohol actually can be used socially, with no intent of intoxication. But I don't know of anyone that smokes weed for the wonderful aroma and flavor it produces. Of course, the debate about the merits of legalizing weed, and it's relationship to alcohol consumption is probably a conversation for an entirely different thread.

Thumper 76
December 14th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Okay whatever... It still seems pretty simple to me. If there's something illegal in the state you are living in or going to school in or visiting, why the **** would you do it?

xlolx pretty sure it's illegal to drink underage, and I guarantee the majority of every team has done it.

I also guarantee the vast majority of college kids nowadays have smoked weed as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redbird007
December 14th, 2016, 08:07 PM

OH you were never a kid and never broke a rule. Just so you know our prisons in this country are full..aka people break laws all the time. Who knows why people do what they do. I have no idea why the players choose to smoke weed and break the law other than they wanted to get high. I never said it was ok to break laws. That said should the ncaa check teams on Saturday mornings to see if any athletes are underage and consuming alcohol the night before?

TheKingpin28
December 14th, 2016, 08:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cil7tOPh4qM

About 99.9% of the time, this man makes me want to clock him in the face for his idiocracy, but he is right on this.

clawman
December 14th, 2016, 09:09 PM
OH you were never a kid and never broke a rule. Just so you know our prisons in this country are full..aka people break laws all the time. Who knows why people do what they do. I have no idea why the players choose to smoke weed and break the law other than they wanted to get high. I never said it was ok to break laws. That said should the ncaa check teams on Saturday mornings to see if any athletes are underage and consuming alcohol the night before?
You make an interesting point and a bogus one. Your first sentence implies this is the first time they tried it. How would you know that?
And, if the NCAA said they were going to test every player BEFORE the game and those that failed would not play, how many would give it a shot?

Schwarz04
December 14th, 2016, 10:17 PM

I don't ever recall saying that? I will say that they picked about the worst posssible time to break the law though...

Redbird007
December 14th, 2016, 10:26 PM
I don't ever recall saying that? I will say that they picked about the worst posssible time to break the law though...

agree with you 100%

Redbird007
December 14th, 2016, 10:31 PM
You make an interesting point and a bogus one. Your first sentence implies this is the first time they tried it. How would you know that?
And, if the NCAA said they were going to test every player BEFORE the game and those that failed would not play, how many would give it a shot?

What?

Iridebikes
December 15th, 2016, 07:33 AM
Translation: I have an uninformed opinion on something and have let the institutions that exist in my life shape that entire opinion. It is an opinion on something I actually have zero personal experience with.

Holy cow. This mindset can not die out fast enough. And I'm not talking about pot anymore. Just in general, people need to be more curious about the world around them and less trusting of the status quo.

Again, I am not giving these players a free pass and I don't think anyone in this thread is. If those are the rules, as ill-conceived as they may be, those are the rules. You have to play the game if you want to win. But the "they should be expelled for smoking a plant" is just comical.

There is room for disagreement on your perspective. You don't need to try something to know that it may not be good for your. For example, listening to others and by using your own reasoning abilities its fairly easy to deduce that jumping out of an airplane without a parachute would cause you harm. May not meet your standard but I'm not curious enough to find out how badly I could hurt myself. Especially if the plane if flying. Directing that to the use of pot, there is substantial research to show that it does, and can have negative long term effects. If someone wants to use it, fine. Its their choice to break the laws (depending on where they live) and potentially harm themselves. But there is nothing inherently noble about being "curious" when there is potential damage. TO me that's stupid. By the way JMU looks really good. Not going to be surprised if they take down NDSU.

FUBeAR
December 15th, 2016, 07:43 AM
This thread seems to have gotten off track with this back-and-forth debating of unimportant issues.

Back to the REAL ISSUE - What's the latest of whether or not YSU has to forfeit the win over Wofford, sending the Terriers to EWU this week???

(and making my Team's bracket have all Final 4...and reinstating me in the Elimination Challenge...BTW)

MR. CHICKEN
December 15th, 2016, 07:54 AM
This thread seems to have gotten off track with this back-and-forth debating of unimportant issues.

Back to the REAL ISSUE - What's the latest of whether or not YSU has to forfeit the win over Wofford, sending the Terriers to EWU this week???

(and making my Team's bracket have all Final 4...and reinstating me in the Elimination Challenge...BTW)

.....SORRAH BEAR........HELMETS & PADS....IN MOTH-BALLS.....FILM ROOM...PAD-LOCKED....PLAY-BOOKS....ON E-BAY!..........BROCCO!

ysubigred
December 15th, 2016, 07:59 AM

WOW!! You have to be the biggest dumb ass on this site xthumbsupx Grow the **** upxcrazyx

cx500d
December 15th, 2016, 08:00 AM
YSU players are not very smart..........all they had to do is wait to smoke this week in Washington where pot is legal, come on people use your brains......................................

It doesn't matter if a state says pot is legal, the federal government still says it's illegal. The state may not prosecute but the Feds can. Federal employees can and will be fired for popping for pot even if the live in a state where it's "legal." I was an athlete in the mid 80s at ndsu and I remember getting the whiz quiz ~ monthly during the season. I guess the schools dont do that anymore?

FUBeAR
December 15th, 2016, 08:10 AM
WOW!! You have to be the biggest dumb ass on this site xthumbsupx Grow the **** upxcrazyx

http://new2.fjcdn.com/comments/5258165+_7fd5d909c14d834ad7c2f9d38bdffbd2.jpg

Sycamore62
December 15th, 2016, 08:10 AM
It doesn't matter if a state says pot is legal, the federal government still says it's illegal. The state may not prosecute but the Feds can. Federal employees can and will be fired for popping for pot even if the live in a state where it's "legal." I was an athlete in the mid 80s at ndsu and I remember getting the whiz quiz ~ monthly during the season. I guess the schools dont do that anymore?

It seems like a huge waste of money if they do it correctly. Why dont they test guys for important stuff like Cheesin'

Smokey 1
December 15th, 2016, 08:11 AM

It wouldn't matter if it was legal with the Feds as long as the NCAA has a prohibition on it no matter how stupid that is.

ysubigred
December 15th, 2016, 08:26 AM
http://new2.fjcdn.com/comments/5258165+_7fd5d909c14d834ad7c2f9d38bdffbd2.jpg

xdrunkyx

http://imoviequotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/103-Dumb-and-Dumber-quotes.gif

kalm
December 15th, 2016, 08:27 AM
There is room for disagreement on your perspective. You don't need to try something to know that it may not be good for your. For example, listening to others and by using your own reasoning abilities its fairly easy to deduce that jumping out of an airplane without a parachute would cause you harm. May not meet your standard but I'm not curious enough to find out how badly I could hurt myself. Especially if the plane if flying. Directing that to the use of pot, there is substantial research to show that it does, and can have negative long term effects. If someone wants to use it, fine. Its their choice to break the laws (depending on where they live) and potentially harm themselves. But there is nothing inherently noble about being "curious" when there is potential damage. TO me that's stupid. By the way JMU looks really good. Not going to be surprised if they take down NDSU.

Apply that same reasoning to pot and bath salts. And then pot and beer.

cx500d
December 15th, 2016, 09:11 AM
It wouldn't matter if it was legal with the Feds as long as the NCAA has a prohibition on it no matter how stupid that is.

Exactly!

McNeese72
December 15th, 2016, 09:52 AM
so this is real?

You will know for sure if they have to sit out 6 games next season. That's if it was recreational drugs. If it was P.E.D.'s it will be a whole season.

If it is like McNeese, the University won't (or can't) make a statement about it. We had two players miss 6 games this season (for what they said was "violating team rules" and one player (a defensive starter) just leave before his senior year. We heard rumors that the one player was taking P.E.D.'s. We found out the other two would be missing after the playoff game with Sam and before Spring drills. Putting two and two together, we figured the drug testing after the Sam playoff game probably indicated a positive recreation drug result.

Doc

ysubigred
December 15th, 2016, 09:55 AM
You will know for sure if they have to sit out 6 games next season. That's if it was recreational drugs. If it was P.E.D.'s it will be a whole season.

If it is like McNeese, the University won't (or can't) make a statement about it. We had two players miss 6 games this season (for what they said was "violating team rules" and one player (a defensive starter) just leave before his senior year. We heard rumors that the one player was taking P.E.D.'s. We found out the other two would be missing after the playoff game with Sam and before Spring drills. Putting two and two together, we figured the drug testing after the Sam playoff game probably indicated a positive recreation drug result.

Doc

Most suspended guys are SR's, won't matter for YSU players they are done.

McNeese72
December 15th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Pelini refusing to answer any questions about whether anyone is suspended or why in his weekly presser.

https://lessonsfromtheendofamarriage.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/pcfv01p10_15.jpg

If his strategy is to avoid any distractions he's going to achieve the opposite effect with this gag order.

The NCAA prohibits the coaches from making any comments about drug suspensions. At McNeese they would only say "suspensions for violating team rules".

Doc

The Yo Show
December 15th, 2016, 12:55 PM
So the university confirmed it all now.
http://wkbn.com/2016/12/14/ysu-confirms-some-football-players-failed-ncaa-testing/

Bogus Megapardus
December 15th, 2016, 01:14 PM

http://wkbn.com/2016/12/14/ysu-confirms-some-football-players-failed-ncaa-testing/

"WKBN confirmed that another player . . . was disciplined for last week’s game under YSU rules for an arrest in Tallmadge. He has been charged with illegally carrying a gun."

I don't know how you guys do it in the MVFC, but the PL rules require weapons to be holstered prior to entering the field of play. Illegal carrying of the gun can result in a 15-yard penalty (from the spot of the foul) plus loss of down.

FUBeAR
December 15th, 2016, 01:17 PM
"WKBN confirmed that another player . . . was disciplined for last week’s game under YSU rules for an arrest in Tallmadge. He has been charged with illegally carrying a gun."

The PL rules require weapons to be holstered prior to entering the field of play. Illegal carrying of the gun can result in a 15-yard penalty (from the spot of the foul) plus loss of down.

I hope EWU's Defense has watched enough game film. Tough to stop 'em...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW4Y6mpCXgQ

BisonTru
December 15th, 2016, 01:28 PM
I'd like for them to just come out with the names. We will all know on Saturday, but from a competitive standpoint. Keeping EWU unsure who will be missing is an advantage. They've said the suspended won't travel, but that's another chess move that could be played as well.

penguinpower
December 15th, 2016, 01:43 PM
University is not permitted to release the names under the law. That is the problem, but the names were released on the YSU by the village idiot on the YSU message board and I saw the names on EW message board. ****ing village idiot.

MR. CHICKEN
December 15th, 2016, 01:47 PM
....DEY POST.....SHOPLIFTERS.......PEEPERS & DRAWER DROPPERS....KIDDIE PORN'ERS....IN DUH PAPERS.....SHAME IS UH POWERFUL DETERRENT.......IF YA CARE WHAA...PEOPLE THINK....BROCCO!

Bisonator
December 15th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Sad situation and a really disappointing and stupid selfish move by those players. Still hoping the rest of the Penguins give it everything they have and leave it all on the field!xthumbsupx

ysubigred
December 15th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Sad situation and a really disappointing and stupid selfish move by those players. Still hoping the rest of the Penguins give it everything they have and leave it all on the field!xthumbsupx

I'm hearing we won't miss the selfish players one bit. The players sitting behind them on the depth chart was chomping at the bit to get in and are as talented just not as seasoned xthumbsupx Also as you all witnessed we should not miss the TB. we have several very capable runners on the roster.

Gil Dobie
December 15th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Any other players from NDSU, EWU or JMU fail any drug test?

dudeitsaid
December 15th, 2016, 04:32 PM
I'd like for them to just come out with the names. We will all know on Saturday, but from a competitive standpoint. Keeping EWU unsure who will be missing is an advantage. They've said the suspended won't travel, but that's another chess move that could be played as well.

Maybe...but if so, very, very slight. The EWU coaches are preparing the team to face the best team they've ever faced. If they are unsure, they will err on the side of the best players being on the field.

TennBison
December 15th, 2016, 05:24 PM
They say they don't release the names in order to protect the players (or in this case, non players now). To bad that YSU and the NCAA can't understand that when those players (starters for sure) are not at the game, that at that point their names will be known.

penguinpower
December 15th, 2016, 10:38 PM
They say they don't release the names in order to protect the players (or in this case, non players now). To bad that YSU and the NCAA can't understand that when those players (starters for sure) are not at the game, that at that point their names will be known.

Spot on.

penguinpower
December 15th, 2016, 10:40 PM
Maybe...but if so, very, very slight. The EWU coaches are preparing the team to face the best team they've ever faced. If they are unsure, they will err on the side of the best players being on the field.

NDSU is the best team they've ever faced

- - - Updated - - -

We have an uphill battle, but I like our chances.

Twentysix
December 15th, 2016, 11:21 PM
NDSU is the best team they've ever faced

- - - Updated - - -

We have an uphill battle, but I like our chances.

I'm rooting for you guys. Gotta admit though, if NDSU can get past JMU it's going to be a glorious matchup either way. All MVFC final would be glorious, but so would kicking the **** out of EWU in the chipper.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 16th, 2016, 12:15 AM
I'm rooting for you guys. Gotta admit though, if NDSU can get past JMU it's going to be a glorious matchup either way. All MVFC final would be glorious, but so would kicking the **** out of EWU in the chipper.

The only time NDSU kicked the **** out of EWU, it drew a 15 yard flag thrown by Bill Fette.

Twentysix
December 16th, 2016, 12:25 AM
The only time NDSU kicked the **** out of EWU, it drew a 15 yard flag thrown by Bill Fette.

Bitch, I'll talk to you tomorrow night.

Screamin_Eagle174
December 16th, 2016, 01:14 AM
Bitch, I'll talk to you tomorrow night.
xlolx Good luck to the Bison. Granted, I wouldn't be too upset if the Dookies won either... would be easier to get a ticket. :D

Execute008
December 17th, 2016, 09:56 AM

Lol they didn't say what the test were but i was thinking that's what it was for as well.