PDA

View Full Version : AGS Coach of the Year

BisonTru
December 7th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Vote!

Daytripper
December 7th, 2016, 12:20 PM
You guys..... you're welcome for the idea.

BisonTru
December 7th, 2016, 12:25 PM
BTW, I would have voted for Dale Lindsey but he didn't finish top 10 and it only allows ten choices.

Jacked_Rabbit
December 7th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Why is the MVFC COY, John Steigelmeier (SDSU) not listed as an option?!?!?! #pollfail

Bison56
December 7th, 2016, 01:17 PM
What about Bo Pelini?

Jacked_Rabbit
December 7th, 2016, 01:19 PM
What about Bo Pelini?

This is a COACH of the year poll, not DICKHEAD...

Bison56
December 7th, 2016, 01:20 PM
This is a COACH of the year poll, not DICKHEAD...

Despite your personal feelings he has done a great job this year.

The Pud
December 7th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Despite your personal feelings he has done a great job this year.

not when you compare him to K.C. Keeler baby!

Bison56
December 7th, 2016, 01:33 PM
not when you compare him to K.C. Keeler baby!

Who?

The Pud
December 7th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Who?

Not your coach, so go back to drinking your warm milk.

70MilesFromCanada
December 7th, 2016, 01:41 PM
This poll is already "homer" central.
No way in h*** that the NDSU coach is ahead of the UND coach.

NDSU is so good they could have the Geico gekco
or Flo (the Progressive Insurance spokeswoman)
as head coach and still win the Natty!

They don't need no stinking coaches.
Therefore they can't be eligible for any coach of the year awards.

xbowx

Bison56
December 7th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Not your coach, so go back to drinking your warm milk.

Is that the guy who coaches that D2 team SHSU?

BisonTru
December 7th, 2016, 01:48 PM

xbowx

So far NDSU has 3 homer votes, and one outsider. UND has 2 homer votes, and one outsider. Neither one looks like they will win, IMO, rightfully so.

Bisonator
December 7th, 2016, 02:05 PM

xbowx
You guys got worked by the only good teams you played. That choke job last week had some serious coaching issues as well.

Most of the teams listed had decent records last year too. When you look at the competition these teams played and beat this year it shouldn't be that hard.

Twentysix
December 8th, 2016, 01:11 PM
Bo Pelini....

stevdock
December 8th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Bo Pelini....

Part of me wants to say he got the most improvement out of his team compared to any team in the conference, especially as messed up as their offense was most of the year. But the other part of me says he might have just been more in control of himself this year ;)

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 8th, 2016, 04:10 PM

xbowx

Swing and a miss about Klieman. With all of the injuries this year (2 AAs) and still end up 10-1....damn good in my book.

BEAR
December 8th, 2016, 04:27 PM
It's hard to vote against a coach that was named FCS coach of the year and Eddie Robinson winner, is undefeated, has one of the best offenses in the nation, and has a record of winning...even if he is a coach for a conference rival. xlolx

UNIFanSince1983
December 8th, 2016, 04:35 PM
It's hard to vote against a coach that was named FCS coach of the year and Eddie Robinson winner, is undefeated, has one of the best offenses in the nation, and has a record of winning...even if he is a coach for a conference rival. xlolx

Well they were in the semi's last year. So he didn't exactly need to reinvent the wheel. Same with Klieman. I mean if you want to give it to the coach that just wins every year then it should be Klieman. I am a firm believer in Coach of the Year being a coach who did a lot with less. Or pulled something unexpected.

That being said I did vote Houston in this thread. Obviously JMU was good last year, and were supposed to be good again this year. However, I am not sure people thought they would be this level of good. Especially with losing Vad Lee.

70MilesFromCanada
December 8th, 2016, 05:18 PM
Swing and a miss about Klieman. With all of the injuries this year (2 AAs) and still end up 10-1....damn good in my book.

Reread my post.
I think you made my case for me.

Thumper 76
December 8th, 2016, 08:48 PM
Disappointed Stig didn't make the list. Not a gaudy record but think he deserves some big props for a bunch of things, from how he coached the NDSU game, completely switching the offensive mentality from years past, turning the season completely around from being 1-2 after the Poly game and having his defense go from giving up 400+ rushing yards in that game to giving up just 50ish yards against UNI and only giving up 7 to a good Nova team. Plus he was the MVFC coach of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonTru
December 8th, 2016, 09:08 PM
Disappointed Stig didn't make the list. Not a gaudy record but think he deserves some big props for a bunch of things, from how he coached the NDSU game, completely switching the offensive mentality from years past, turning the season completely around from being 1-2 after the Poly game and having his defense go from giving up 400+ rushing yards in that game to giving up just 50ish yards against UNI and only giving up 7 to a good Nova team. Plus he was the MVFC coach of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd agree with this. I think he should be on the list. I just copied Stats top 10, and he wasn't up for consideration on their list.

BisonTru
December 8th, 2016, 09:19 PM
This is my estimated count of the non homer votes:

Mike Houston - 17
Brent Thompson - 12
KC Keeler - 5
Bubba Schweigert - 5
Chris Villarrial - 4
Chris Klieman - 3
Broderick Fobbs - 3
Brian Bohannon - 2

ElCid
December 8th, 2016, 10:25 PM
Well mine is definitely a homer vote, but really it isn't.

Brent Thompson:

- First year as a head coach.
- The Citadel went 8-0 in SOCON play for the first time ever. And one of only a few teams to have ever been undefeated in SOCON play.
- Only first year coach at The Citadel to ever win 10 games in their first season or really any season, but one - 1992.
- The Citadel is a pretty hard place to coach at considering the distractions and heavy work load (military and academic).
- The Citadel only had 5 home game scheduled this year and one of those was moved to opponents place due to hurricane. And The Bulldogs still went 10-2.

This is somewhat of a no brainer for me, homer or not. Its coach of the year not team of the year.

lionsrking2
December 8th, 2016, 11:22 PM
I voted for Broderick Fobbs. He's a bright young coach with a big future, and has done an incredible job turning Grambling's program around. 11-1 this season with the only loss being a 10-point loss at Arizona in a game they led at halftime, 21-3. You could make a great case for everyone on this list, but considering the circumstances, Fobbs stands out IMO.

MTfan4life
December 9th, 2016, 05:08 AM
I voted for Broderick Fobbs. He's a bright young coach with a big future, and has done an incredible job turning Grambling's program around. 11-1 this season with the only loss being a 10-point loss at Arizona in a game they led at halftime, 21-3. You could make a great case for everyone on this list, but considering the circumstances, Fobbs stands out IMO.

I see Coach of the Year as one who did something very surprising, especially compared to last season. 2015 was Broderick's year. He took Grambling from the slop and turned them into an undefeated conference slate in the SWAC. Because of that success, this season was really just a progression rather than a big surprise. The same goes for people like Keeler and Klieman. Those two teams have been elite since the turn of the decade.

I look at someone like Beau Baldwin after Eastern's collapse last season. Their turnaround from getting smoked the entire second half of the season to being very elite this season was quite the rise. Of course, they did have the talent waiting in the wings.

So, then I would go with Villarial of St. Francis. They haven't really had a good year in the NEC and until the Wagner loss, they took a train on their conference slate. What Coen did at Lehigh was also very noteworthy. Or even Lindsey at San Diego. Just a couple seasons ago they made the playoffs and got obliterated by a relatively weak Montana team. This time around they smoked through their conference and knocked off a team who had been their only loss. What he has done their with very little to work with in the athleticism/talent category has been tremendous. I'm surprised he wasn't on this list. Another guy I'd mention is Mike Ayers. Although I haven't been as surprised by them as most other people, so he wouldn't get my vote. Then the final guy I'm surprised wasn't in the poll was Steve Campbell of UCA. Aside from the Sam Houston beatdown, they came to work and played some great defense this season in a conference where scores are usually pretty high.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 9th, 2016, 06:37 AM
Reread my post.
I think you made my case for me.

You're a genius....any smo could have coached this team...xrolleyesxxnutsx

milleniumkat
December 9th, 2016, 07:06 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161209/bb0770ae97b7b4cced6be9a0c425e505.jpg

www.KinderGentlerMK.edu

70MilesFromCanada
December 9th, 2016, 07:42 AM
You're a genius....any smo could have coached this team...xrolleyesxxnutsx

Hey there now ... Flo might not be a coach but she is no smo.

McNeese75
December 9th, 2016, 08:47 AM

xthumbsupx Fobbs is doing a phenomenal job xnodx

RootinFerDukes
December 9th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Just like with every poll AGS disagrees with what the national media says about COY. Maybe it's that tough SLC schedule that's inspiring STATS?

milleniumkat
December 9th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Just like with every poll AGS disagrees with what the national media says about COY. Maybe it's that tough SLC schedule that's inspiring STATS?

i tremble at the thought of ags actually agreeing with us on anything.

www.KinderGentlerMK.edu

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2016, 09:48 AM
The STATS COY voting also shows how the powerful MEAC voting bloc is that exists among the STATS voters. Two MEAC coaches made the top 10 in the STATS voting and both have yet to receive a single vote here.

Mark my words, it's going to be comical to see how high NC A&T finishes in the STATS poll. I'm going to guess #18 or so.

carney2
December 9th, 2016, 08:40 PM
None of the above. I nominate Frank Tavani.

Twentysix
December 9th, 2016, 08:43 PM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolx

stevdock
December 9th, 2016, 08:50 PM
I'm sorry but they should revote after tonight. I know it's a regular season award but voters please wise up and look at the actual schedule. There are about 75 coaches who probably could have put up as good of a fight with their teams.

ngineer
December 9th, 2016, 09:19 PM
Well they were in the semi's last year. So he didn't exactly need to reinvent the wheel. Same with Klieman. I mean if you want to give it to the coach that just wins every year then it should be Klieman. I am a firm believer in Coach of the Year being a coach who did a lot with less. Or pulled something unexpected.

That being said I did vote Houston in this thread. Obviously JMU was good last year, and were supposed to be good again this year. However, I am not sure people thought they would be this level of good. Especially with losing Vad Lee.

Agreed. Reason I voted for Fobbs. Grambling program had fallen on hard times and it has turn around. Takes a lot of work to do that. Same for some others, like The Citadel's coach who would get my 1A vote.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 9th, 2016, 11:21 PM
No doubt about it, its Klieman