PDA

View Full Version : Brian VanGorder Speaks to WTOC About Leaving Georgia Southern

Kill'em
January 17th, 2007, 10:24 PM
He spoke his mind, that's for sure. What he said is something that I was afraid might happen, his family getting harassed for this season. This does cross the line. Yes, it bothers me what he said about our program and his ego brought on lots of the troubles he has faced. But this should never get to his family. Unfortunately, this is not unique. It happens quite often in sports.
I think the change will benefit both BVG and the Georgia Southern family.

Here is the link:
http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5953353

griz37
January 17th, 2007, 10:30 PM
If our community and Eagle Nation were better educated, they'd respect what's going on here and what's happening.

Nice dig at the Georgia Southern fans. : smh :

Kill'em
January 17th, 2007, 10:38 PM
He gave some parting shots but why not? We've been all over him since he got here. Like it or not, he is entitled to his say. I just don't agree with all of it. His heart was in the right place, but his personality did him in. Folks would have been less resistant to change and even more tolerable of the 3-8 record if he would have been more humble.

bobbythekidd
January 17th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I can't say I don't like the guy, I never met him. I can say I did not want him here as HC, I thought he was a loser of a coach. When our fans attacked his kids... just over the line. Poor taste and shows no class. His 5 kids did nothing to GSU. I have never said anything nice about BVG, but if it were my kids, I would have left on the first bus out of town.

Blue
January 17th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Let the peckerwood be part of a coaching staff at ugay and go 3-8 and see just how lovely he gets treated by his beloved dog nation.

If you can't stand the heat get the hell outta the kitchen. I guess that what the sissy boy is doing.

I bet all of the coaches and their families think he's a swell guy. Think they might feel betrayed just a bit?

I don't follow pro football but from this day forward I'lll be a fan of whomever is playing the Falcons.

Good riddance to VanGoober.

LarryBoy
January 17th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Let the peckerwood be part of a coaching staff at ugay and go 3-8 and see just how lovely he gets treated by his beloved dog nation.

If you can't stand the heat get the hell outta the kitchen. I guess that what the sissy boy is doing.

I bet all of the coaches and their families think he's a swell guy. Think they might feel betrayed just a bit?

I don't follow pro football but from this day forward I'lll be a fan of whomever is playing the Falcons.

Now that's the kind of classy response to this situation that makes a guy want to coach somewhere. Or stay somewhere.

GSU Just One More Time
January 17th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I agree that his family should have never been brought into it and I hate that they were. He may have gotten a raw deal in the fact that 1/2 the Eagle Nation didn't want to see Mike go. This started back when PJ left. There was a large group that wanted Rusty (Erk's Son) to get the job. So Mike started with just enough rope to hang himself. BVG comes in and here we go again Eagle Nation split. I am sure that some of y'all will say that didn't happen but if you really look back and think about it you know it is true. BVG's character as a coach is in question to me but that is all I have the right to question. I will say that he never backed down from what he want to do and I respect that. I am done talking about BVG and look forward to the Eagles Future. GO EAGLES

CCU97
January 17th, 2007, 11:32 PM
OK...so the big question is..since Hatcher likes to pass the ball...who do you guys have that can actually throw the thing? Best of luck you guys have had a rough go of it wit BVG...can't wait for you to come to Coastal in the fall...one of the few games i can get back to see...

BALD EAGLE
January 17th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Kill'em and bobbythekidd, I do not know all facts about his family being attacked, and I certainly agree any harassment was wrong.

My question for you is do you know all the facts? If not you might consider getting them before making statements such as his family was attacked.

What does his family was attacked mean? Were they attacked physically or verbally?

As I stated, I do not know all facts, but after listening to BVG for a year I would not be surprised if he is making more out of this than really happened to make himself look better after he quit.

Just an opinion.

GO EAGLES

"JUST ONE MORE TIME"

aggie6thman
January 17th, 2007, 11:49 PM
The coach wouldn't comment on specifics, but family friends tell WTOC it included booing and heckling the VanGorder children at their own school sports events.

That is taken directly from the article. You guys take football to the next level at Georgia Southern.:rolleyes:

bobbythekidd
January 17th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Kill'em and bobbythekidd, I do not know all facts about his family being attacked, and I certainly agree any harassment was wrong.

My question for you is do you know all the facts? If not you might consider getting them before making statements such as "his family was attacked".

What does "his family was attacked" mean? Were they attacked physically or verbally?

As I stated, I do not know all facts, but after listening to BVG for a year I would not be surprised if he is making more out of this than really happened to make himself look better after he quit.

Just an opinion.

GO EAGLES

"JUST ONE MORE TIME"
You asked a question so I will respond. Not attacking, just answering.
No, I do not have all the facts. I heard none of it myself. He (BVG) got on film and claimed it was fact. If it is, shame on those that did it. If it is untrue, shame on him.
All I am saying is, once one writes it here, it is thier belief or what they claim to be fact.
He claims that it is fact, on the record. Not one person has disputed it. History being the guide here, if there was any hint at untruth, one of the TSC "vultures" would have been all over it. Since none have, I will take that as having some basis.
Naturally we can assume it was verbal, if his kids were attacked physically, there would be a police report and the offenders hospital stay to back that one up.

Kill'em
January 18th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Forgive me on that one, I should have specified "verbal" attacks. No, I don't have all the facts, however, this came from the inteview with BVG. He may be arrogant but I don't remember his being a liar. As rough as he has been talked about on TSC, it wouldn't surprise me it happened.

AppGuy04
January 18th, 2007, 06:24 AM

Hmmmm, looks like I might have been rightxcoffeex

rokamortis
January 18th, 2007, 06:39 AM
As an outsider I have a prety strong opinion. I admit that I'm not as close to the situation as the eagle fans, but I have followed it closely.

No one should ever harass children, but as a head coach that is something that comes with the territory. We don't know who did the 'harassing' - it very well could have been other children. But he brought it on himself and he's just simply looking for a copout. He's trying to get people to feel sorry for him and divert attention away from his atrocious acts. He could have eased into the situation and people would have respected him even after an 3-8 season. but he came in like a steamroller and crushed everything the 'eagle nation' knew and loved while screaming " I'm the best and I'm going to take this program to the next level". If the eagle fans weren't better educated, it was because he lied to them. He set the bar that high and had to live with the repercussions .

With his attitude and actions he made the eagle fans believe that he was the next coming of Erk. He destroyed a number of traditions, didn't have the players at Erk's memorial service, and never accepted full responsibility for his actions during the season. Now he says any future success will be because of his blood, sweat, and tears - I call BS. He left the program in turmoil and didn't have the courage to stick it out. Any real leader would stay the course and prove he is the winner that he keeps saying he is.

OL FU
January 18th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Sounds to me like he realized that he made a mistake. That is not a horrible thing to realize. I am not sure his ego will let him admit it or let him admit the damage that he has done to Georgia Southern.

With that said, there is enough blame to go around including Baker and at least, some of the fans.

Time to get your stuff together guys, the SoCon needs you to be strong:nod:

andy7171
January 18th, 2007, 08:40 AM

What a dumbass response this was!

Millwoch
January 18th, 2007, 08:40 AM
If you have ever seen a game in Statesboro, you are not surprised that the fans act this way. When I was a kid(around 10 years old), I had adult GSU fans spit on me at a game. Very uncivilized group of people. I doubt very seriously that they had ever set foot in a class room at GSU. It is ashamed that the true Alums put up with this, but they do?

But I think overall, this move is good for GSU football. I think the Van Gorder"s biggest mistake was taking the ball out of his best playmakers hands, no matter what offense you run. It was very obvious they had a ton more talent and speed then The Citadel when they played this year, but they were out hustled and coached...thus Citadel won.

NoCoDanny
January 18th, 2007, 09:03 AM
He's trying to get people to feel sorry for him and divert attention away from his atrocious acts. .

What exactly were his atrocious acts? Did he lose some football games or did he slaughter refuges?

AppGuy04
January 18th, 2007, 09:23 AM
What exactly were his atrocious acts? Did he lose some football games or did he slaughter refuges?

Didn't you know that a 3-8 season in Statesboro equates to Hitler-esque murders:rolleyes:

youwouldno
January 18th, 2007, 09:30 AM
I understand why he left if his kids are being harassed. Not that he's anything other than a terrible coach, mind you.

henfan
January 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM
The most discouraging comments in this sordid incident came from Sam Baker. Dude says he's disappointed. Imagine that! Hey, if you don't demonstrate loyalty (eg.- Stowers, and Sewak), you don't deserve loyalty back (VanGorder.) Hard to feel sorry for an administration who only believes you should stick by coaches that win championships.

Seems like the folks in Statesboro need to take a cold hard look in their mirrors and do a little soul searching. These are the kinds of things happen when you sell out your program to unreasonable expectations. :twocents: :twocents:

Best of luck, GSU. Apparently, you've got much bigger issues than simply replacing a football coach.

AggiePride
January 18th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Just lame. Sheds some light on the whole thing.

I can't help but believe him. He would be a heartless person to throw out boldfaced lies and put that cherry on top of the whole situation.

pete4256
January 18th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Didn't you know that a 3-8 season in Statesboro equates to Hitler-esque murders:rolleyes:

Go take a look at the interview. I think watching it in full will blow your mind about what kind of man we had for a head coach. His three and eight record is immaterial compared to the personal qualities he displays in the interview.

It is beyond description. I challenge all of you to check it out. You would think BVG had been fired. The immaturity and unprofessionalism of even giving an interview of the nature he did after leaving ON HIS OWN TERMS is astounding.

He said two basic things:

1) "I couldn't handle the stress. The fans and the media are uneducated and cruel, especially those from the THREE evil dailies who cover GSU. They should have been cheerleading my vision instead of reporting my progress." Basically, that translates into "I am not fit to be a head coach." Surely you must see that.

2) "My family and I couldn't stand being small-time." He said--fairly overtly--that he was used to having his rear kissed in Athens and in the NFL, and that he couldn't adjust to the pathetically little scene of both Statesboro and FCS. He wanted his kids to grow up in "the big time, a UGA situation." So the question is, "why did he come here in the first place?"

But, I challenge you to read it on your own. You would not want this man coaching your school. His insecurities and inability to deal with the challenges of leadership are astounding. And before Tuesday, I could not be called an "anti-BVG militant." I hoped he'd finish what he started.

BVG is not head coaching material, and had we conducted a proper search when we hired him, we might have found that out, like every other college he's applied to has found out.

AppGuy04
January 18th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Basically, that translates into "I am not fit to be a head coach." Surely you must see that.

Sounds more like what you want it to mean that what he actually said.

rokamortis
January 18th, 2007, 10:41 AM

Perhaps my word choice is a little strong. I could care less if he won or lost football games but he came into the place and destroyed many of the traditions - so that is what I meant by atrocious. I especially feel that him not letting the player's go to Erk's memorial service was pretty bad. I also didn't like how he didn't accept any blame.

But I'm sure you think that's fine with all your program has gone through. Just be sure to keep the sharp objects from your kickers :smiley_wi

putter
January 18th, 2007, 10:45 AM
WOW! Kind of Jeckyl and Hyde with a major ego attached. After watching that I think GSU is better off having BVG gone. Saying things like I want to be at the highest level, play in front of large crowds etc. is a big jab. Did he not do any research as to what kind of program he was coming to? Hopefully the next coach will come in and give the Eagles what they deserve.

pete4256
January 18th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Sounds more like what you want it to mean that what he actually said.

Did you watch the interview yet?

Can you name one career HC who has been all-but-unable to have a professional relationship with the reporters who cover his team? Ad do you really think there are that many who cover GSU?

Can you think of a successul coach who couldn't cope for more than a couple of months with the rude treatment he received in the midst of a five game losing streak?

How did Sewak handle his firing (and remember, he was FIRED)? How did Jerry Moore handle the criticism that reached its peak after the 2004 season? Did he quit? How do think Bobby Lamb handles the constant second-guesing of his playcalling? And those three guys, fine coaches all, are not Bobby Bowden. They're simply professional coaches.

When BVG glared into the camera and said, "no one ever questioned me to my face" with the impied threat that he'd love the opportunity to beat up the first fan to do so, it was clear to me that this insecure egomaniac should never have gotten the GSU job and that he will never get a head coaching opportunity again. Anywhere.

And attack the fanbase all you want, but we aren't the ones who fired Sewak and hired BVG.

AppGuy04
January 18th, 2007, 11:12 AM
And attack the fanbase all you want, but we aren't the ones who fired Sewak and hired BVG.

Ofcourse you didn't, but just because you don't sign the contract doesn't mean you didn't do it

Like I said before, THE FANS called for Sewak's firing, any AGS member can vouch for that, and THE FANS exhalted when BVG was hired, AGS members can vouch for that too.

pete4256
January 18th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Ofcourse you didn't, but just because you don't sign the contract doesn't mean you didn't do it

Like I said before, THE FANS called for Sewak's firing, any AGS member can vouch for that, and THE FANS exhalted when BVG was hired, AGS members can vouch for that too.

Because some of the twelve GSU fans who were on AGS then didn't like Sewak, that means that his firing was a democratic move?

But based on my own memory, I remember the App fans on here in 2004 saying that Moore should and would be fired. Especially after that 2004 signing class, which was supposed to be so disastrous. App's administrators were smart enough to ignore those yahoos.

And of course most GSU fans exalted when BVG was hired. I did it too, on AGS no less. He had an impressive resume. But now it's clear why he was never hired as a HC anywhere before. He regularly applied when he was at UGA. Maybe a real coaching search by our administration would have uncovered that.

OL FU
January 18th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Well to state the obvious there is blame to go all around. Coach, Admin, AD, fans.

To those of us that watch edGSU this year, it was obvious that BVG was not the coach that you guys wanted or hoped he would be. You don't go from a playoff team to 3-8 with almost 100% of the same personnel overnight.

AppGuys point is taken. GSU fans could stand a little looking in the mirror and saying ok maybe we share some of the blame too. I mean just because BVG is too small to do that, doesn't mean you guys can't be bigger than him:smiley_wi

AppGuy04
January 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Because some of the twelve GSU fans who were on AGS then didn't like Sewak, that means that his firing was a democratic move?

But based on my own memory, I remember the App fans on here in 2004 saying that Moore should and would be fired. Especially after that 2004 signing class, which was supposed to be so disastrous. App's administrators were smart enough to ignore those yahoos.

And of course most GSU fans exalted when BVG was hired. I did it too, on AGS no less. He had an impressive resume. But now it's clear why he was never hired as a HC anywhere before. He regularly applied when he was at UGA. Maybe a real coaching search by our administration would have uncovered that.

I don't know any University that would fire a football coach if the fans wanted to keep him. GSU must be the exception to the rule:rolleyes:

You weren't even registered on this website in 2004, just like me, so don't go making stuff up. Sure there were people wanting Moore's head, but I wasn't one of them, as I have stated before, or does your memory escape you since you keep bringing that up.

Can't blame anyone but your own University for that. They "searched" long and hard, oh wait, thats right, they didn't. Just like now, they have someone 2 days later. Please! Thats not a search. I hope the new HC doesn't "surprise" you GSU fans like BVG apparently did

pete4256
January 18th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Well to state the obvious there is blame to go all around. Coach, Admin, AD, fans.

To those of us that watch edGSU this year, it was obvious that BVG was not the coach that you guys wanted or hoped he would be. You don't go from a playoff team to 3-8 with almost 100% of the same personnel overnight.

AppGuys point is taken. GSU fans could stand a little looking in the mirror and saying ok maybe we share some of the blame too. I mean just because BVG is too small to do that, doesn't mean you guys can't be bigger than him:smiley_wi

If that's what AppGuy said, I would have agreed with him. But it's not.

Your understanding of the situation is pretty accurate, there are some issues in the Eagle Nation. I don't think the fanbase (or 95% of them) are much different from fans elsewhere. BVG's smallness has made HIM the focal point currently.

pete4256
January 18th, 2007, 11:37 AM
You weren't even registered on this website in 2004, just like me, so don't go making stuff up. Sure there were people wanting Moore's head, but I wasn't one of them, as I have stated before, or does your memory escape you since you keep bringing that up.

Yes I was. Ralph has redone the boards since then. I think sometime in the summer of 2005. Ask him.

Why don't you check your inside sources with GSU and find out about Sewak's termination? I'm sure you know how it went down. Hell, maybe you were in the room.

And while you're trying sarcasm with that last point about the coaching searches, I originated that thought. Who do you think I'm blaming the situation on?

OL FU
January 18th, 2007, 11:37 AM
If that's what AppGuy said, I would have agreed with him. But it's not.

Your understanding of the situation is pretty accurate, there are some issues in the Eagle Nation. I don't think the fanbase (or 95% of them) are much different from fans elsewhere. BVG's smallness has made HIM the focal point currently.

The difficulty is that you fired Sewak I know that there are arguments that he was fired for other reasons, but, to us outsiders, it looks like you fired him because he did not win a NC. That is why people are looking at GSU fans and goingxidiotx

Whether it is right or wrong

BigApp
January 18th, 2007, 11:42 AM
wait. BVG is calling out GSU fans for their behavior? That's odd, I thought Appalachian had the worst fans!

OL FU
January 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM
wait. BVG is calling out GSU fans for their behavior? That's odd, I thought Appalachian had the worst fans!

It's a tie:p

BigApp
January 18th, 2007, 11:46 AM
ok, as long they don't surpass us! :smiley_wi

pete4256
January 18th, 2007, 11:49 AM
The difficulty is that you fired Sewak I know that there are arguments that he was fired for other reasons, but, to us outsiders, it looks like you fired him because he did not win a NC. That is why people are looking at GSU fans and goingxidiotx

Whether it is right or wrong

The subject of Sewak split, and continues to split, the Eagle nation into factions. Many loved him, many disliked him. Of course the fanbase was impatient waiting for him to make an NC run.

But the reason he was fired was entirely political and apparently played out among the very upper echelon of GSU folks (I mean the top five, not the top 500). The massive amounts of negativity heard then and now concerning Sewak is mostly propaganda; rhetoric rather than essence.

The decision to fire Sewak irked many and troubled many more. We tried to put a unified face on things after attacks such as the infamous Coulson article, but the unity wasn't convincing then, and probably never will be with regard to Sewak. In fact a retired GSU AD who weighs in on GSU from time to time said Tuesday that it's time to re-hire Sewak.

The problem with posters like AppyGuy is they have no sense of complicated scenarios. Is all monolithic with them: "Eagle fans are all stupid!"

And then they presume that they know more about it than us, which REALLY cracks me up.

JDC325
January 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM

POTT TO KETTLExlolx

Was not to long ago App fans were saying no Moore.

You go 3-8 after dramatically ARROGANTLY making changes at any school it is not going to be a bed of roses at any school. This is not a GSU specific problem. Let Mark Richt go 3-8 next year at UGA and see what happens. He got thrown under the bus for just losing a few games. EVERY school has there idiot fanantics they just seem to be in greater number and louder at schools with winning traditions. I dont deny some LOCAL idiot fanatic classless rednecks probably did make it uncomfortable for VG family but I have heard much worse horror stories like that for alot at many other schools and I doubt you could find ONE experienced head coach that has not endured similar treatment throughout their career. It is dead wrong to have that mentallity, participate in those acts OR not to speak out against it but ANY head coach can tell to one degree or another it is probably parr for the course when times get tough. Just ask Bowden.

OL FU
January 18th, 2007, 11:55 AM
The subject of Sewak split, and continues to split, the Eagle nation into factions. Many loved him, many disliked him. Of course the fanbase was impatient waiting for him to make an NC run.

But the reason he was fired was entirely political and apparently played out among the very upper echelon of GSU folks (I mean the top five, not the top 500). The massive amounts of negativity heard then and now concerning Sewak is mostly propaganda; rhetoric rather than essence.

The decision to fire Sewak irked many and troubled many more. We tried to put a unified face on things after attacks such as the infamous Coulson article, but the unity wasn't convincing then, and probably never will be with regard to Sewak. In fact a retired GSU AD who weighs in on GSU from time to time said Tuesday that it's time to re-hire Sewak.

The problem with posters like AppyGuy is they have no sense of complicated scenarios. Is all monolithic with them: "Eagle fans are all stupid!"

And then they presume that they know more about it than us, which REALLY cracks me up.

Interesting take a Sewak's firing.
I have heard others. This one seems plausible. :nod:

JDC325
January 18th, 2007, 11:56 AM

SOME and SOME go read on TSC. It was pretty divided on both but however you want to see it is fine. Sewak was not ran out due to the fans most older alumni liked him. Although I dont hold our AD in the highest regard he did say off the field issues did play apart in his firing but it is alot easier for a rival fan just to throw stones when they have been JUST a guitly with Moore the only difference is he survived.

walliver
January 18th, 2007, 04:39 PM
The coach wouldn't comment on specifics, but family friends tell WTOC it included booing and heckling the VanGorder children at their own school sports events.

Unfortunately, this is not a GSU-only problem. I have seen the same thing in South Carolina high school football. A high school coach in upstate SC resigned after a poor (but not horrible) season when a bunch of rednecks started calling his home and cursing at his kids when they answered the phone. I doubt if the people involved in Statesboro were actually GSU grads.

Kill'em
January 18th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Actually, you'll find this at any level of any sport. College sports get a lot of attention because of the high-dollar boosters.

ngineer
January 18th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Just another example of how sports in our society has gotten our of control and out of kilter with what should be our priorities. Ranks up there with the Texas cheerleading scandals, parents attacking Little League coaches, etc.With Van Gorder's story, I would think any coach with a family will think twice before wanting them to be exposed to such an environment...: smh :

pete4256
January 18th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Just another example of how sports in our society has gotten our of control and out of kilter with what should be our priorities. Ranks up there with the Texas cheerleading scandals, parents attacking Little League coaches, etc.With Van Gorder's story, I would think any coach with a family will think twice before wanting them to be exposed to such an environment...: smh :

Did you SEE the interview? I think you're missing the point and buying into some shadowy accusations from a first-class prick who's trying to deflect the crap he knows --deep down--he deserves right now.

JohnStOnge
January 18th, 2007, 08:24 PM
"VanGorder says all the transition was necessary whether fans realize it or not...

We've set this up for success. Good football people, knowledgeable football people would understand that,"

I'll preface what I'm going to say by noting that it's not really VanGorder's fault that GSU's Adminsitration decided to fix something that wasn't broken (Georgia Southern's offensive system).

But...I think that's a crock. I don't think any dramatic transition was necessary. I think that after 2005 they needed to improve their defense...but that's about it.

As far as setting up for success...I think the program had success before the Adminsitration went brain dead. I guess people were spoiled by never losing first round playoff games and paniced after they lost a couple. But, to me, what Georgia Southern's adminsitration did by (in my opinion) panicing and ditching the system and tradition that made it the most successful I-AA program over time in history was insane.

I seriously, seriously doubt VanGorder was going to bring them back to where they were before he got there. I'll never know, but I doubt it. I think Georgia Southern was what it was because of the system Erk Russel established and the continuity in running it. I don't know if they can ever get it back now. Deciding to hire somebody who was going to totally change it, I think , was a huge mistake.

JohnStOnge
January 18th, 2007, 08:40 PM
By the way...VanGorder presided over the worst season in Georgia Southern history. They'd only had one losing season before, in 1996, and that was 4-7.

bobbythekidd
January 18th, 2007, 08:44 PM
"VanGorder says all the transition was necessary whether fans realize it or not...

We've set this up for success. Good football people, knowledgeable football people would understand that,"

I'll preface what I'm going to say by noting that it's not really VanGorder's fault that GSU's Adminsitration decided to fix something that wasn't broken (Georgia Southern's offensive system).

But...I think that's a crock. I don't think any dramatic transition was necessary. I think that after 2005 they needed to improve their defense...but that's about it.

As far as setting up for success...I think the program had success before the Adminsitration went brain dead. I guess people were spoiled by never losing first round playoff games and paniced after they lost a couple. But, to me, what Georgia Southern's adminsitration did by (in my opinion) panicing and ditching the system and tradition that made it the most successful I-AA program over time in history was insane.

I seriously, seriously doubt VanGorder was going to bring them back to where they were before he got there. I'll never know, but I doubt it. I think Georgia Southern was what it was because of the system Erk Russel established and the continuity in running it. I don't know if they can ever get it back now. Deciding to hire somebody who was going to totally change it, I think , was a huge mistake.
Is your real name Paul Johnson?xlolx xlolx

You are correct in your thoughts. The "populi" in the Eagle Nation seem to be behind Hatcher. My self admitted overly high expectations have taken a "wait and see" attitude.
Wonder why the coach at Grand Valley State was not interveiwed, or maybe Giff at GT?

igo4uni
January 18th, 2007, 10:31 PM
By the way...VanGorder presided over the worst season in Georgia Southern history. They'd only had one losing season before, in 1996, and that was 4-7.

good point.

AppGuy04
January 19th, 2007, 07:45 AM
The "populi" in the Eagle Nation seem to be behind Hatcher.

This was the case when BVG was hired

What makes this any different?

My concern is that it took y'all approximately less than 24 hours to hire a coach. Others have complained that BVG wasn't researched enough before his hire. Does the GSU Admin make the same mistake twice??

Baldy
January 19th, 2007, 08:16 AM
This was the case when BVG was hired
Not hardly. That might be your perception from afar, but that definitely isn't the case.

What makes this any different?

My concern is that it took y'all approximately less than 24 hours to hire a coach. Others have complained that BVG wasn't researched enough before his hire. Does the GSU Admin make the same mistake twice??
Research? These aren't some no-name Joes off the street. Hatcher has been on our radar for a while and is a proven entity. He's a local guy and people in the 'business' know who and what he is, PLUS he was available.

Kill'em
January 19th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Sure, this was quick, Unlike BVG, though, Hatcher brings very impressive credentials that make it hard to argue with his being named Head Coach. BVG came in boasting about his credentials, Hatcher's speak for itself.