PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern's next coach

Eaglegus2
January 17th, 2007, 08:35 PM
will be announced tomorrow or Friday. Word from alumni in the Valdosta area state Chris Hatcher has been hired to coach the Eagles. Chris Hatcher is the coach of Valdosta State University. His D-II team won the National Championship in 2005.

I am hoping this information is correct. This was my choice before Van Gorder was hired.

ButlerGSU
January 17th, 2007, 08:41 PM
With a .810 winning % in 6 seasons he seems for real but we'll have to see how he does at the next level.

Eaglegus2
January 17th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Just received another call.....done deal.

Hatcher is the new coach.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Purple Pride
January 17th, 2007, 09:08 PM
:thumbsup: Man, I'm glad we beat the Eagles this year. I'd hate to play them now. GREAT HIRE GSU. Chris will rock the house and I don't think you'll appreciate this steal for years to come.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dbackjon
January 17th, 2007, 09:10 PM
If true, great hire!!!

ButlerGSU
January 17th, 2007, 09:12 PM
If true he will bring a lot of young energy and seems to be a great motivator but it would be unrealistic to say his current level of competition is the same as the SoCon. Then again, he'll have more resources to work with at GSU than VSU.

It speaks well of Georgia Southern University if we can take him away from Rice University, who he was interviewing with this week.

I think I'm still numb from the shock of the past few days. To say the past 9 months have been rough on GSU fans is an understatement to say the least.

Tribe4SF
January 17th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Man, I wish the guy luck! :rotateh:

In two short years, the storied GSU program has managed to dismantle itself. I can only imagine how the players feel, and recruits have got to be concerned. This is a real shame. Van Gorder will take the short term heat, but something more fundamental has got to be wrong. A guy gets the greatest FCS coaching deal ever, and they can't keep him past one year? Whoever's been driving the boat in Statesboro needs to take a hard look at themselves.

Purple Pride
January 17th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I hate to keep being an ego buster.....BUT DAMN. Ya'll ain't gonna belive what Hatcher can do at GSU.:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

bobbythekidd
January 17th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I hope EagleGus is accurate. If it is true it will continue what BVG started. A bit of tweaking rather then a wholesale overhaul. This could be good news. The guy is a winner. I wonder what it took to get him out of Valdosta???

Purple Pride
January 17th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I hope EagleGus is accurate. If it is true it will continue what BVG started. A bit of tweaking rather then a wholesale overhaul. This could be good news. The guy is a winner. I wonder what it took to get him out of Valdosta???
"What BVG started". You're kidding me, right? Have you ever seen a game Chris Hatcher has coached? If you thin BVG was gonna "learn ya'll the spread", I've got news. You're goin' to school. Triple-O? PLEASE!!!

Coach H will move this mother down-field....Guaranteed.:thumbsup:

Seven Would Be Nice
January 17th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I like the sound of this guy. Hope its better for us next season.:hurray:

bobbythekidd
January 17th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Local media just said he has till Friday to accept or decline. TSC posters say he is going to take it.

Edit: I had the day wrong

ITEagle
January 17th, 2007, 10:38 PM
its official...he has until friday to accept the position. word out of valdosta is that he will take it.

bobbythekidd
January 17th, 2007, 10:38 PM
"What BVG started". You're kidding me, right? Have you ever seen a game Chris Hatcher has coached? If you thin BVG was gonna "learn ya'll the spread", I've got news. You're goin' to school. Triple-O? PLEASE!!!

Coach H will move this mother down-field....Guaranteed.:thumbsup:
I am afraid I don't understand your post. Try typing slower, I am from Georgia.:smiley_wi

BALD EAGLE
January 17th, 2007, 10:53 PM

Purple Pride, I very much agree with you.

It really hurts me to say this but Ga. Southern was one of the worse coached teams, especially on offense, that I have ever watched.

GO EAGLES

"JUST ONE MORE TIME"

Purple Pride
January 17th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I am afraid I don't understand your post. Try typing slower, I am from Georgia.:smiley_wi
I've read talk of how BVG moved GSU from their triple-o to the spread. He was there a year and recruited it, so it'd supposedly set them back even more to go back. Hatcher doesn't run a triple option. BVG wishes he could run a spread as an assistant under Hatcher. I haven't broke down the recruits and transfers so far, (probably won't). But, they better be good or Hatch will get better.:nod: :nod: :nod:

Purple Pride
January 17th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I've read talk of how BVG moved GSU from their triple-o to the spread. He was there a year and recruited it, so it'd supposedly set them back even more to go back. Hatcher doesn't run a triple option. BVG wishes he could run a spread as an assistant under Hatcher. I haven't broke down the recruits and transfers so far, (probably won't). But, they better be good or Hatch will get better.:nod: :nod: :nod:

You know, that didn't really help you either. Let me break it down.

Your last coach couldn't carry Hatch's jock.:twocents:

bobbythekidd
January 17th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I see, I know Hatcher is not an option coach. Therefore, to go from a psudo-spread back to an option would be another overhaul. While a passing attack is what BVG was trying to acheive, and Hatcher excels at passing attack game it would only require tweaking. You thought, I thought Hatcher was an option coach. That was the confusion.

As far as BVG and holding jocks, your right. See the last line of my sig.
-BOB

Purple Pride
January 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I see, I know Hatcher is not an option coach. Therefore, to go from a psudo-spread back to an option would be another overhaul. While a passing attack is what BVG was trying to acheive, and Hatcher excels at passing attack game it would only require tweaking. You thought, I thought Hatcher was an option coach. That was the confusion.

As far as BVG and holding jocks, your right. See the last line of my sig.
-BOB
:thumbsup:
I really think Hatch is gonna take it too a new level.:nod:

bobbythekidd
January 17th, 2007, 11:24 PM
With a name like Purple Pride,I assumed you were a Furman fan. Why do you think so much of Hatcher? in Arkansas?

Purple Pride
January 17th, 2007, 11:52 PM
With a name like Purple Pride,I assumed you were a Furman fan. Why do you think so much of Hatcher? in Arkansas?
UCA Bears. Conway Arkansas.

We just moved up from the GSC and we've had all of the "Hatch Attack" we wanted. Seriously though, this is a GREAT move for both.

slycat
January 17th, 2007, 11:57 PM
this guy sounds like a great pick up if it all goes through.

bobbythekidd
January 18th, 2007, 12:03 AM
UCA Bears. Conway Arkansas.

We just moved up from the GSC and we've had all of the "Hatch Attack" we wanted. Seriously though, this is a GREAT move for both.
You say that like I have never heard of Central Arkansas.xlolx
GSU vs Central Arkansas 34-31 L
Does this ring a bell? I just did not connect the dots.

youwouldno
January 18th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Good move by GSU. I wonder if Hatcher will modify his offense for SoCon play... should be interesting.

JoshUCA
January 18th, 2007, 09:17 AM
You say that like I have never heard of Central Arkansas.xlolx
GSU vs Central Arkansas 34-31 L
Does this ring a bell? I just did not connect the dots.

Well, UCA used to play int he Gulf South Conference along with Valdosta State, and during our coach's time in the GSC we NEVER EVER beat Valdosta. We came close a couple of times, but never could get it done. That is why some of us UCA fans hold Hatcher with such high regard. (or at least that is why I do:nod: )

jmuroller
January 18th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Good move by GSU. I wonder if Hatcher will modify his offense for SoCon play... should be interesting.

Does he run some kind of offense that only works in D2? What is so special about the SoCon that you have to run a certain offense? The man is known for his offense...He needs to worry about getting a QB and making the defense dominant again.

pete4256
January 18th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Does he run some kind of offense that only works in D2? What is so special about the SoCon that you have to run a certain offense? The man is known for his offense...He needs to worry about getting a QB and making the defense dominant again.

Yeah. A better question would be whether he would modify his offense to make use of the playmaker(s) he's inherited.

Footix
January 18th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Well it was proven this season that Furman especially struggles with a wide-open, spread offense -- i.e. Coastal and The Citadel. That could play in Southern's favor.

Laserlips
January 18th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Man, I wish the guy luck! :rotateh:

In two short years, the storied GSU program has managed to dismantle itself. I can only imagine how the players feel, and recruits have got to be concerned. This is a real shame. Van Gorder will take the short term heat, but something more fundamental has got to be wrong. A guy gets the greatest FCS coaching deal ever, and they can't keep him past one year? Whoever's been driving the boat in Statesboro needs to take a hard look at themselves.

Tribe4SF:

Actually the "storied" GSU program did not "dismantle itself".. It was DISMANTLED by a new head coach who's EGO was much greater than his ability as a head coach.

BVG came to town saying basically two things: 1. "There is NO OPTION in GSU football.. 2. If Brian Van Gorder can't win at GSU then he isn't a very good coach.

He made the first statement true, and the 2nd was, and is true. He might be a very good defensive coach, but his skills as a Head coach are simply inferior. You simply cannot be a winner in our football conference because you think you are hot stuff. If you can "talk the talk" AND walk the walk that's one thing. To talk only doesn't hack it.

IMO GSU and it's faithful owe BVG a debt of gratitude. No because he screwed up the football program, but because he took the job at Atlanta. Now we don't have to pay his salary after he got fired, or listen to any more excuses from him about how the fans in Statesboro aren't intelligent enough to appreciate what wonderful things he brought to GSU football.

BVG's ego IMO far exceed his coaching ability... But thank God and Greyhound he's GONE!

I am much more optomistic about the future of GSU football at this moment than I have been over a year. The big "TEAM", little "ME" fostered by ERK never was a part of Mr. Big Shot's makeup. It was ALL about HIM..

I'm not saying that a new coach can make our beloved GSU Eagles into a powerhouse in one year, but I do think the potential for a return to quality football in Paulson Stadium took a giant leap forward as the Ryder Rental truck took BVG's EGO back to Atlanta.

Good riddance to BVG, and who says prayers aren't answered! :hurray:

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

GoldandBlack
January 18th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I'm guessing that with Chris Hatcher's personality and prior success as a head coach, he'll be given more slack in bringing the program back than Van Gorder was with his heavy-handed approach.

At least, for GSU's sake, I hope he will be. I think next years team will be a huge improvement over this years with Hatcher in charge, but he ain't gonna make them contenders for an NC overnight, either.

youwouldno
January 18th, 2007, 11:23 AM

I'm not suggesting he should or would change his entire offense, just that he might tweak it a bit. He's inheriting players he didn't recruit and it remains to be seen how pass-first offenses will do in the conference... there haven't been many recently, Elon is the only one right now I guess.

youwouldno
January 18th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Well in fairness Furman has focused on stopping the run because of what our league competition has done offensively in the past. I'm sure Lamb knows he will have to adapt as there is more passing in the SoCon.

OL FU
January 18th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Well in fairness Furman has focused on stopping the run because of what our league competition has done offensively in the past. I'm sure Lamb knows he will have to adapt as there is more passing in the SoCon.

I agree. But we do have problems stopping the pass and we have, with a few exceptions over the last 25 years.

Somethings are not criticisms. They just are what they are

gophoenix
January 19th, 2007, 06:43 AM
It's a good hire by GSU. Man, there are some real quality coaches in this conference now.

BDA_Wookie
January 19th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Thank the Lord (or anyone else who had a hand in this) that wanker is gone.

For the first time in recorded history, I was actually ashamed of GSU Football & what it had become.

Let's hope Hatcher is as good as advertised.

Wookie out