PDA

View Full Version : ESPN3 on Xbox

stevdock
November 29th, 2016, 10:39 AM
I have looked all over and have contacted ESPN, but still have not gotten an answer. I tried to watch the playoff games last weekend through our xbox and there were absolutely no playoffs games available. I deleted and reinstalled the app, and still nothing. I even called my brother to check his and he had the same issue. Anybody else have this problem?? And is there a way around it??

CappinHard
November 29th, 2016, 10:41 AM
I have looked all over and have contacted ESPN, but still have not gotten an answer. I tried to watch the playoff games last weekend through our xbox and there were absolutely no playoffs games available. I deleted and reinstalled the app, and still nothing. I even called my brother to check his and he had the same issue. Anybody else have this problem?? And is there a way around it??

Buy an amazon fire stick.

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2016, 10:49 AM

I did for most of the day but the San Diego Cal Poly game did show up on my Xbox. I do with they would add like a search function like on the app and on PC.

Buy an amazon fire stick.
No. That's literally throwing away money considering an XB1 does everything a Fire stick does. I would rather ESPN just fix their ****.

TheEagleSHSU
November 29th, 2016, 10:52 AM

Are you dealing with an Xbox 360 or Xbox One?

My 360 stopped supporting ESPN3 and wouldn't play anything, now my kid has taken it from me. lol

Sammy94
November 29th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Amazon Fire Stick is the answer.

stevdock
November 29th, 2016, 10:54 AM
I did for most of the day but the San Diego Cal Poly game did show up on my Xbox. I do with they would add like a search function like on the app and on PC.

No. That's literally throwing away money considering an XB1 does everything a Fire stick does. I would rather ESPN just fix their ****.

By the time the San Diego Cal Poly game was ready to start I was way past the point of continuing to look for it. Wish I would have known that game was there.

Are you dealing with an Xbox 360 or Xbox One?

My 360 stopped supporting ESPN3 and wouldn't play anything, now my kid has taken it from me. lol

Xbox One.

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Amazon Fire Stick is literally how you throw away $40 when you own an Xbox One already.
FIFY

Sammy94
November 29th, 2016, 11:10 AM
I have no issues with Fire Stick, plus I can watch any streamed game not just ESPN

clenz
November 29th, 2016, 11:15 AM
The ESPN app on Xbox is the worst app experiment I've ever had. It's slow, laggy, and mostly unusable. My Roku and fire stick are flawless

AmsterBison
November 29th, 2016, 11:27 AM
By the time the San Diego Cal Poly game was ready to start I was way past the point of continuing to look for it. Wish I would have known that game was there.

Xbox One.

JSUSouthener is right: The XBox ESPN app needs to have a search function. A bloated, slow, but fancy UI is no substitute for a functional one.

That said, you could try this: in the app, there is a Favorites channel... you might try adding NDSU FB as one of your favorite teams - then, presumably, NDSU football games would show up on that channel. Seems like I had to log into ESPN and set my favorites up there.

UNIFanSince1983
November 29th, 2016, 11:31 AM
There are a ton of different things you have to do. Sometimes you have to go down to the ESPN3 section instead of just LiveTV. As the LiveTV doesn't include ESPN3 sometimes. Then other times you have to go to NCAAF because the ESPN3 section doesn't have all the ESPN3 games for some reason. It is terrible. I have some of the same issues on my Fire Stick as well so it isn't exclusive to my Xbox One.

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2016, 11:32 AM
There are a ton of different things you have to do. Sometimes you have to go down to the ESPN3 section instead of just LiveTV. As the LiveTV doesn't include ESPN3 sometimes. Then other times you have to go to NCAAF because the ESPN3 section doesn't have all the ESPN3 games for some reason. It is terrible. I have some of the same issues on my Fire Stick as well so it isn't exclusive to my Xbox One.
I wish they would give it a similar layout to the mobile app so you had the option to search games. Having to scroll through pre-selections is trash.

TheEagleSHSU
November 29th, 2016, 11:33 AM
I now just watch the "Watch ESPN" (ESPN3) on my iPad, Works fine, no issues.

UNDColorado
November 29th, 2016, 11:38 AM

For a while I streamed the games via PS4 watch espn app. But as Clenz pointed out below it was laggy so I switched to computer and HDMI cable with no issues. I imagine the app on my PS4 would work better if connected to a hard line but computer was way easier with no hard line needed.

BearDownMU
November 29th, 2016, 11:46 AM
I have an Xbox One and a PS4. I looked for the games on both systems this past weekend and couldn't find them either.

As everyone said, the apps are just not great. No search, laggy, you name it. I ended up just running them through a browser via Watch ESPN.

But that sucked, because I wanted to batch on the big TV.

UNIFanSince1983
November 29th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Chromecast does work well with the app on your phone, an ipad, or a computer. Actually probably the best experience is through the Chromecast because it does have all the features of the mobile apps or the website.

SeattleGriz
November 29th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Basic question. You still have to get your ESPN through a cable provider that has an agreement with ESPN to provide online streaming. Just because you have an XBOX gold account doesn't make you now get games, when before you couldn't due to said provider? Correct?

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Basic question. You still have to get your ESPN through a cable provider that has an agreement with ESPN to provide online streaming. Just because you have an XBOX gold account doesn't make you now get games, when before you couldn't due to said provider? Correct?
Correct. You still have to login through your TV Provider to stream games on the ESPN app.

SeattleGriz
November 29th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Correct. You still have to login through your TV Provider to stream games on the ESPN app.
Thanks. I fortunately have a provider with an agreement, but my bro in Montana is always asking me about getting it through his PS4 and I didn't know what to tell him.

Montana has it rough for ESPN3. Very few providers offer the service. Hell, I could be wrong, but remember Montana raising such a stink about lack of online access, ESPN changed their minds and allowed their game to be purchased via TV.

mmiller_34
November 29th, 2016, 12:16 PM
I've had the same problems on Xbox One. The app has been terrible for years and it doesn't look it it will ever get better. For the past 3 SDSU games it didn't show up as an option until halfway through the 1st quarter... As I was watching it on my phone no problem.

The other thing I have noticed about ESPN 3 is that they are not archiving all games to be able to be "replayed". I wanted to watch a replay of the UNI game but, nope, not available.

jmu8
November 29th, 2016, 12:20 PM

I don't believe that's correct. For access live programming that's on ESPN and ESPN 2 via the xbox app, you need to have an affiliate. I say "affiliate" because you can have fios and no TV package and still have ESPN and ESPN 2 live programming through xbox one app. Also, ESPN3 programming should be available to all with xbox gold regardless of affiliate. I would need to confirm this, but that's what I read.

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2016, 12:26 PM
I don't believe that's correct. For access live programming that's on ESPN and ESPN 2 via the xbox app, you need to have an affiliate. I say "affiliate" because you can have fios and no TV package and still have ESPN and ESPN 2 live programming through xbox one app. Also, ESPN3 programming should be available to all with xbox gold regardless of affiliate. I would need to confirm this, but that's what I read.
It is correct because I have to login to my AT&T account to get the WatchESPN part of the app to work.

clenz
November 29th, 2016, 12:28 PM
To watch anything on espn3 you need an espn authorized account. Be it cable, dish, or fios.

CappinHard
November 29th, 2016, 12:29 PM
FIFY

It sure sounds like that for as crappy as the ESPN3 app is for XBOX One is, $40 for a fire stick might be a solid investment. As they say, you can wish ESPN would fix the app in one hand and s*** in the other and see which one fills up faster... I would rather buy a fire stick.

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2016, 12:33 PM
It sure sounds like that for as crappy as the ESPN3 app is for XBOX One is, $40 for a fire stick might be a solid investment. As they say, you can wish ESPN would fix the app in one hand and s*** in the other and see which one fills up faster... I would rather buy a fire stick.
or you know, worse comes to worse I take the HDMI out of my Xbox and plug it in my laptop and watch the games that way like I did Saturday. I'd rather not waste the $40 on something I don't need. Plus if I got it purely to stream JSU games on ESPN it would spend 44-ish weeks a year gathering dust or in a drawer somewhere.

I could put that money to a better use. Like buying more Fireball.

TheRevSFA
November 29th, 2016, 01:28 PM
I just run watchespn on my phone and then cast it up to the screen. Easier than dealing with the ESPN App on Xbox

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2016, 01:30 PM
I just run watchespn on my phone and then cast it up to the screen. Easier than dealing with the ESPN App on Xbox
What do you use to screen cast?

FearTheBeak
November 29th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Yeah I have actually had this problem myself, honestly I would just watch it on another device (PC,phone,tablet). They updated the app a couple years ago, took away the search function,
stopped saving all the game replays, and over all the app functions very poorly. I wish there was a way to go back, It used to be a great way too watch football.

Avoid it at all cost!

jacks10
November 29th, 2016, 01:37 PM
I have been having trouble with my PS3 as well

Dukie95
November 29th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Yeah, same here. Couldn't find it on Xbox, glad to see it wasn't only me. Had to watch the games on PC.

TheRevSFA
November 29th, 2016, 01:38 PM

I actually have a lightning to HDMI cable I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightning-Digital-Adapter-MD826AM/dp/B009WHV3BM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480448310&sr=8-2&keywords=iphone+to+hdmi

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Woof. For $40 I'll pass and stick with my laptop as a backup option.

UNIFanSince1983
November 29th, 2016, 01:45 PM

Chromecast is the way to go. However, if you are just concerned about FCS football streaming then just using your computer with HDMI is the most efficient and cheapest (if you already have said laptop).

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Chromecast is the way to go. However, if you are just concerned about FCS football streaming then just using your computer with HDMI is the most efficient and cheapest (if you already have said laptop).
Yeah, that's probably what will happen. Like I said earlier in the thread, XB1 does pretty much everything a Fire Stick or a Chromecast will. The only problem is ESPN made a garbage app for it. It still runs Netflix and my Prime Video flawlessly.

BisonTru
November 29th, 2016, 01:51 PM

I use AppleTV. A little more expensive but this was my setup last weekend. 2 Apple TVs and a laptop to TV.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161129/dee1a02b82acb7972924f4f5ff434811.jpg

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2016, 01:53 PM
I use AppleTV. A little more expensive but this was my setup last weekend. 2 Apple TVs and a laptop to TV.

My ex had an Apple TV. I used to use the **** out of that thing.

TheRevSFA
November 29th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Woof. For $40 I'll pass and stick with my laptop as a backup option.

I didn't pay for it :)

UNIFanSince1983
November 29th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Yeah, that's probably what will happen. Like I said earlier in the thread, XB1 does pretty much everything a Fire Stick or a Chromecast will. The only problem is ESPN made a garbage app for it. It still runs Netflix and my Prime Video flawlessly.

Well I said earlier the Fire Stick app isn't the best either. In fact it has most of the same flaws I have found. They need to up their app game. Well aside from their mobile apps which are great.

BisonTru
November 29th, 2016, 02:16 PM
They only issue I have with the AppleTV-Iphone,ipad route is every once in a while it has a glitch and the game stops, and the only way I've figured out to get it restarted is to completely turn off and turn back on the device(iphone, ipad) and re-start the game.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this and maybe if anyone has an easier quicker fix.

jacks10
November 29th, 2016, 02:22 PM
How did you get 4 screens on the TV?

BisonTru
November 29th, 2016, 02:24 PM

Laptop, I don't believe the app on your phone/ipads will do 4 screens.

jacks10
November 29th, 2016, 02:32 PM
do you need a certain type of tv?

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2016, 02:39 PM
do you need a certain type of tv?
Just any TV with an HDMI plug in will work.

jacks10
November 29th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Just any TV with an HDMI plug in will work. appreciate the help!

cx500d
November 29th, 2016, 07:59 PM
I also use an Apple TV and have had no issues except one time a couple weeks ago for some reason I couldn't get the ESPN app on apple TV to run, so I used airplay from my laptop to the apple tv which worked fine.

cx500d
November 29th, 2016, 08:12 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23979&stc=1
I've done that using the watchESPN website on my laptop (can select 4 streams by selecting the 4-rectangle icon in the lower right and select the games you want in each quadrant. Then I maximize the window to just show the games and use airplay to my appleTV to stream it to the big screen.

BisonTru
November 29th, 2016, 08:28 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23979&stc=1
I've done that using the watchESPN website on my laptop (can select 4 streams by selecting the 4-rectangle icon in the lower right and select the games you want in each quadrant. Then I maximize the window to just show the games and use airplay to my appleTV to stream it to the big screen.

Can you airplay from any PC or does it have to be a Mac?

cx500d
November 29th, 2016, 08:51 PM
airplay is built-in and seamless for Mac to appletv or iphone/ipad to appleTV. If you have a windows pc there are 3rd party apps that do the trick for you (like airparrot which will work with appletv or chromecast, for example, from a windows pc.)

Can you airplay from any PC or does it have to be a Mac?

70MilesFromCanada
November 29th, 2016, 11:43 PM

Actually, with Comcast you do not need a tv subscription for ESPN3.
You only need to purchase internet from them.
You do have to log into your Comcast/Xfinity account.
However, since you do not have a cable box your viewing has to be on smartphones, tablets, laptops or pcs.
You can "cast" the stream to your pc (it may not be full screen depending on your setup).
If your smart tv has the WatchEspn app you can watch directly on the tv.

SENOREIDA
November 30th, 2016, 06:57 AM
I have had a problem with the ESPN app for Xbox One for at least a year now. It drives me crazy, especially when trying to watch Coastal games I know are on ESPN3. I usually give up trying to find them and hook my laptop up to my TV via and HDMI cord and watch on the TV. It is a horrible app.

Drblankstare
November 30th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Last week was the first time I've had any real issue with the app on my XboxOne. It can be buggy and slow, but the games were always there. I watched the games on my IPad Air, which is fine, but not the same.

I emailed and tweeted ESPN and what do you know, I didn't hear **** back from them. It's almost if they don't ****ing care.