PDA

View Full Version : 2016 All-CAA Teams Announced

smallcollegefbfan
November 22nd, 2016, 10:08 AM
http://caasports.com/news/2016/11/22/FB_1122161643.aspx

JMU’S SCHOR, VILLANOVA’S KPASSAGNON HEADLINE 2016 CAA FOOTBALL ALL-CONFERENCE AWARDS

RICHMOND, Va. (November 22, 2016) – CAA Football announced its 2016 post-season award winners on Tuesday, headlined by James Madison junior quarterback Bryan Schor being selected as the league’s Offensive Player of the Year and Villanova senior defensive lineman Tanoh Kpassagnon being chosen as the conference’s Defensive Player of the Year.

Other major award recipients included James Madison’s Mike Houston as CAA Coach of the Year, JMU senior wide receiver/returner Rashard Davis as Special Teams Player of the Year, Towson freshman running back Shane Simpson as Offensive Rookie of the Year and New Hampshire freshman cornerback Prince Smith, Jr. as Defensive Rookie of the Year. New Hampshire senior cornerback Casey DeAndrade was honored with the Chuck Boone Leadership Award.
CAA Football’s all-conference awards are voted on by the league’s 12 head coaches. CAA champion James Madison led all teams with 14 selections, including 10 first-team honorees, while Richmond had 12 players named to the squad and Maine followed with 10.

In his first year as a full-time starter, Schor completed 156-of-213 passes for 2,026 yards and 18 touchdowns and also ran for 545 yards and nine TD’s. The junior led the nation in completion percentage (73.2%) and ranked second in FCS in passing efficiency (178.2). Schor, who was second in the CAA in total offense (257.1 ypg), threw for over 200 yards in six games and rushed for over 100 yards twice. He completed better than 60% of his passes in nine of the Dukes’ 10 contests.

Kpassagnon was a dominant force on the Villanova defensive line. The senior led the league and ranked 12th in FCS with 19.0 tackles for loss and also topped the conference and was 21st in FCS with 8.5 sacks. Kpassagnon recorded 40 total tackles, recovered two fumbles and also blocked a kick. He played a key role on a Wildcats’ defense that ranked third nationally in scoring defense (14.9 ppg) and total defense (265.1 ypg).

Houston guided James Madison to a 10-1 overall record and the school’s first outright CAA Football championship since 2008 with a perfect 8-0 mark. The Dukes, who received a #4 national seed and a first-round bye in the NCAA FCS playoffs, closed the regular season on an eight-game winning streak that included road victories over three nationally ranked opponents.

Davis averaged an incredible 31.9 yards on nine punt returns and tied a CAA record by returning three of them for touchdowns. The senior found the end zone on a pair of 76-yard returns against Morehead State and Elon and had a 75-yard return for a score vs. Central Connecticut State. Davis also contributed as a wide receiver, making 31 receptions for 345 yards and two touchdowns.

Simpson topped the CAA and ranked sixth in FCS with 166.8 all-purpose yards per game. The freshman averaged a CAA-best 26.9 yards on kickoff returns, which ranked 13th in FCS, highlighted by a school-record 100-yard touchdown return against New Hampshire. Simpson was also Towson’s leading rusher with 784 yards and three touchdowns.

Smith made a big impact in the New Hampshire secondary, leading the team and ranking second in the CAA with five interceptions. He tied a conference record by returning two of the interceptions for touchdowns against Towson and Stony Brook. The freshman made 25 tackles and also led the Wildcats with 11 pass breakups.

DeAndrade was the recipient of the prestigious Chuck Boone Leadership Award, an honor that embodies the highest standards of leadership, integrity, teamwork and sportsmanship in academics and athletics. The senior cornerback once again excelled on the field, earning first-team all-conference honors at cornerback and third-team accolades as a punt returner. The Wildcats’ captain, who is majoring in kinesiology/pedagogy, was a first-team Academic All-District honoree and is on the ballot for Academic All-America honors. The Boone Award is selected by the CAA Football athletics directors.

- - - Updated - - -

2016 All-CAA Football First Team
(as voted on by the head coaches)
OFFENSE
QB Bryan Schor James Madison Jr.
RB Khalid Abdullah James Madison Sr.
RB Elijah Ibitokun-Hanks UAlbany So.
FB/HB Anthony Manzo-Lewis UAlbany Jr.
WR Brian Brown Richmond Sr.
WR Brandon Ravenel James Madison Sr.
WR Micah Wright Maine So.
TE Jonathan Kloosterman James Madison Jr.
OL Thomas Evans Richmond Sr.
OL Mitchell Kirsch James Madison Sr.
OL Tad McNeely New Hampshire Sr.
OL Timon Parris Stony Brook Jr.
OL Aaron Stinnie James Madison Jr.
OL Jerry Ugokwe William & Mary Sr.
PK Griffin Trau Richmond So.
KR Shane Simpson Towson Fr.
PR Rashard Davis James Madison Sr.

DEFENSE
DL Andrew Ankrah James Madison Jr.
DL Winston Craig Richmond Sr.
DL Tanoh Kpassagnon Villanova Sr.
DL Patrick Ricard Maine Sr.
DL Cam Shorey New Hampshire Sr.
LB Charles Bell Delaware Jr.
LB Austin Calitro Villanova Sr.
LB Omar Howard Richmond Sr.
LB Michael Nicastro UAlbany Sr.
LB Christophe Mulumba Tshimanga Maine Sr.
CB Casey DeAndrade New Hampshire Sr.
CB Taylor Reynolds James Madison Sr.
S Raven Greene James Madison Jr.
S Rob Rolle Villanova Jr.
P Jake Ryder Towson Sr.

2016 All-CAA Football Second Team
OFFENSE
QB Kyle Lauletta Richmond Jr.
RB Kendell Anderson William & Mary Sr.
RB Dalton Crossan New Hampshire Sr.
FB/HB James Pavik Richmond Sr.
WR Ray Bolden Stony Brook Jr.
WR DeVonte Dedmon William & Mary Jr.
WR Christian Summers Towson Sr.
TE Andrew Caskin William & Mary Jr.
OL Connor Bozick Delaware Sr.
OL Matt Frank James Madison Sr.
OL Brody Kern Delaware Jr.
OL Brad Seaton Villanova Sr.
OL Nicholas Vergos Richmond Sr.
PK John Gallagher Elon Sr.
KR Harold Cooper Rhode Island Jr.
PR Micah Wright Maine So.

DEFENSE
DL Ousmane Camara Stony Brook Jr.
DL Malachi Hoskins UAlbany Jr.
DL Bilal Nichols Delaware Jr.
DL Brandon Waller Richmond Jr.
LB Shane Lawless Stony Brook So.
LB Troy Reeder Delaware So.
LB John Silas Elon Sr.
LB Gage Steele James Madison Sr.
CB Rayshan Clark UAlbany Sr.
CB Trey Reed William & Mary Sr.
S Tyrice Beverette Stony Brook Jr.
S Jaheem Woods Stony Brook Sr.
P Gunnar Kane James Madison Sr.

2016 All-CAA Football Third Team
OFFENSE
QB Dan Collins Maine Sr.
RB Stacey Bedell Stony Brook Jr.
RB Aaron Forbes Villanova So.
RB Wes Hills Delaware Jr.
WR Terrence Alls James Madison Jr.
WR Andre Dessenberg Towson Sr.
WR Neil O’Connor New Hampshire So.
WR Tyler Wilkins Richmond So.
TE Ryan Bell Villanova Jr.
TE Garrett Hudson Richmond Jr.
OL Max Andrews Maine Sr.
OL Jamil Demby Maine Jr.
OL Chris Durant William & Mary Jr.
OL Andrew Lauderdale New Hampshire Sr.
OL Kevin Malloy UAlbany Sr.
PK Aidan O’Neill Towson Fr.
KR Earnest Edwards Maine Fr.
PR Casey DeAndrade New Hampshire Sr.

DEFENSE
DL Jose Duncan Rhode Island Jr.
DL John Haggart Stony Brook So.
DL Bryan Osei Villanova Sr.
DL Isaiah Stephens William & Mary Jr.
LB DeVaughn Chollette New Hampshire Sr.
LB Stephen Lubnow William & Mary Sr.
LB Sterling Sheffield Maine So.
LB Ed Shockley Villanova Jr.
CB Nassir Adderley Delaware So.
CB Najee Goode Maine Jr.
CB Darin Peart Stony Brook Jr.
S Brendan Coniker Richmond Jr.
S Monty Fenner Towson Jr.
S Pop Lacey New Hampshire Fr.
P John Hinchen Villanova Jr.

COACH OF THE YEAR
Mike Houston, James Madison
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Bryan Schor, James Madison (QB - Jr.)
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Tanoh Kpassagnon, Villanova (DL - Sr.)
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Rashard Davis, James Madison (PR/WR - Sr.)
OFFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Shane Simpson, Towson (RB - Fr.)
DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Prince Smith, Jr., New Hampshire (CB - Fr.)
CHUCK BOONE LEADERSHIP AWARD
Casey DeAndrade, New Hampshire (CB - Sr.)

ZableNoise
November 22nd, 2016, 10:11 AM
Call me biased but I think Kendall Anderson should have been 1st team.

smilo
November 22nd, 2016, 10:12 AM
Surprised to see Aaron Forbes so far down, but understandable with the position's depth both in the conference and on the team...should be preseason first teamer next year however.

MacThor
November 22nd, 2016, 10:24 AM

You're biased.
You're also correct. :)

Professor Chaos
November 22nd, 2016, 10:30 AM
So JMU has a pretty talented offense huh?

ccd494
November 22nd, 2016, 10:42 AM
There weren't three quarterbacks in the CAA better than Dan Collins???

DirtyDukes
November 22nd, 2016, 10:59 AM
http://static.celebuzz.com/uploads/2013/07/15/will-ferrell-1.gif

But apparently Schor and Khalid are our only offensive weapons. ;)

flyrod
November 22nd, 2016, 11:14 AM

Nah!
its just a "watered down CAA" :Dxblahxxblahx
Got a bridge to sell in Brooklyn if your interested. :D:D

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2016, 11:34 AM
Interesting that Pop Lacey made the third team All-CAA [true freshman] but Prince Smith won the award for DROY.

I still think UNH's TE Jordan Powell is the best TE in the conference, but he's obviously being penalized for only playing half the season.

The CAA has a collection of dreadful QB's, so it's no surprise to me that Collins got the honor. He made some ridiculous throws against NH in the finale. IMO, Cam Shorey has been, at best, UNH's third best lineman this season. Rick Holt and Ryan Sosnak up the middle have been better, IMO. Surprised to see him make first team. The ends have been really disappointing this year.

DeAndrade vs. Pelletier should be fascinating this weekend. No one even throws at him anymore.

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2016, 11:56 AM
You're biased.
You're also correct. :)

I didn't see Ibitokun-Hanks of Albany this year, but the stats have those three (with Abdullah) very even. I'm sure it was a tough call. I know I was certainly impressed with Anderson. You'd think the tie would go to the senior.

flyrod
November 22nd, 2016, 12:08 PM

Biased
or NOT
your right he should have been on 1st team with Abdullah
Anderson is a beast RB

BestDaneSinceHamlet
November 22nd, 2016, 12:12 PM
Hanks was 90% of the Albany offense and before he hurt his leg in the final game was on pace to be the No. 3 RB in the nation.

MacThor
November 22nd, 2016, 12:14 PM
I didn't see Ibitokun-Hanks of Albany this year, but the stats have those three (with Abdullah) very even. I'm sure it was a tough call. I know I was certainly impressed with Anderson. You'd think the tie would go to the senior.

Well I got to see them both, and we completely stuffed Ibitokun-Hanks, while Anderson destroyed us. So my assessment is based on empirical evidence.
However, Ibitokun-Hanks had > 300 yards more than Anderson and almost twice the TDs, so I can see why they made the selection.

Admittedly I'm a little disappointed at Schor over Lauletta - he had over 3000 yards! - but JMU did run the table and we chuck it quite a bit more.

Dukie95
November 22nd, 2016, 12:25 PM
Well I got to see them both, and we completely stuffed Ibitokun-Hanks, while Anderson destroyed us. So my assessment is based on empirical evidence.
However, Ibitokun-Hanks had > 300 yards more than Anderson and almost twice the TDs, so I can see why they made the selection.

Admittedly I'm a little disappointed at Schor over Lauletta - he had over 3000 yards! - but JMU did run the table and we chuck it quite a bit more.

Yeah, no argument there, Lauletta was just as deserving, team record probably tipped the scales. RE: Anderson, I was only looking at conference-only stats, because the OOC SOS's vary wildly.

jmufan999
November 22nd, 2016, 01:24 PM
There weren't three quarterbacks in the CAA better than Dan Collins???

based on "arm talent", I would say he was one of (if not THE) most talented passers I saw all year. He's got a nice arm, good release, just makes some questionable decisions. The talent is clear.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2016, 02:53 PM
I think they got it right with Abdullah and Ibitokun-Hanks, but many of these selections are very tough to call.

KPSUL
November 22nd, 2016, 03:10 PM
IMO, Cam Shorey has been, at best, UNH's third best lineman this season. Rick Holt and Ryan Sosnak up the middle have been better, IMO. Surprised to see him make first team.

Cam Shorey has been in for way more plays than either Holt or Sosnak this season and those downs he's been in a nose tackle position not DE, while those other two guys are on the sidelines. It's the obvious passing downs that Shorey has played in the middle and the reason why he is not getting many sacks this year. I don't know if he deserves an All-Conference selection, but he has been UNH's most valuable DL guy.

WrenFGun
November 22nd, 2016, 08:24 PM
Cam Shorey has been in for way more plays than either Holt or Sosnak this season and those downs he's been in a nose tackle position not DE, while those other two guys are on the sidelines. It's the obvious passing downs that Shorey has played in the middle and the reason why he is not getting many sacks this year. I don't know if he deserves an All-Conference selection, but he has been UNH's most valuable DL guy.

I think great players need to make a difference; I thought Horton and Shorey were hugely talented, but neither showed much in situations this year. You're right about the DT spot, though. I'm sure he'd have brought more than Kania and Reisert on the end of he didn't have to play DT.

Tribe4SF
November 23rd, 2016, 09:50 AM

Anderson was severely limited during first four games, missing Hampton game and carrying only 24 times for 90 yards in the other three. Over final seven games he carried 193 times for 987 yards despite not being near 100%. Ibitokun-Hanks was certainly deserving as well.

jmudukes
November 23rd, 2016, 04:18 PM
Very surprised Anderson wasn't on first team...good season for him though.