PDA

View Full Version : Grambling Coaching Search

TexasTerror
January 16th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Would Kippy Brown take a paycut as large to go to Grambling? Perhaps? Alabama A&M is working hard to keep their head coach, Anthony Jones. Grambling may want to hire from within, a former player, Albert Lewis, but at this point, I think Rod Broadway is the best coach of the four...

Broadway has overhaul skills
Grambling football coaching prospect helped rebuild North Carolina Central
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

GRAMBLING — Should he get the job at Grambling State, Rod Broadway would begin in a far better place.

And would, likely, be making far better money.

Broadway interviewed Monday for the vacant position of head football coach as GSU seeks to replace Melvin Spears, who was let go on Dec. 18 after three years at the helm.

The North Carolina Central head coach is one of at least four finalists reportedly set to meet with Grambling, including Detroit Lions assistant Charles "Kippy" Brown, Alabama A&M head coach Anthony Jones and Grambling volunteer assistant Albert Lewis.

Broadway arrived having taken NCCU from Division II tatters to consecutive Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association titles in just four seasons.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070116/SPORTS/701160336/1006

HIU 93
January 16th, 2007, 12:27 PM
"...a far better place..."? I think that is a reach. He might make more money, but "...a far better place..."? Homer journalism taken to the extreme.

lizrdgizrd
January 16th, 2007, 01:34 PM
"...a far better place..."? I think that is a reach. He might make more money, but "...a far better place..."? Homer journalism taken to the extreme.
I think the writer was trying to say that Grambling's football program is in better shape than NCCU's was when Broadway took over there. And if so, that's a poor writer.

MACHIAVELLI
January 16th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Are you that the coaching job at THE ICON and the coaching job at NCCU are the same?

McNeese75
January 16th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Is the Capt'n still looking for a job????:cool:

Mr. C
January 16th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Is the Capt'n still looking for a job????:cool:
He does have coaching experience and he was an All-American and NFL lineman. He's also spent some time living in New Orleans (good recruiting ties for going to Grambling). And don't forget that UNI tradition he would bring with him. I think he is a solid candidate. Did I miss anything on his resume?

TexasTerror
January 16th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I'm curious to what happens with the ongoing investigation at Grambling. If the results come out soon, does that make that job less attractive?

Sly Fox
January 16th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I'm surprised to see Kippy's name on that list. I have a feeling he's going to get a shot as a head coach in the NFL somewhere down the line if he stays in the pro game.

dustinadam
January 16th, 2007, 11:58 PM

The lead says ... "would begin at a far better place."

Story goes on to relate how when Broadway started at NCCU the program was so cash strapped that their players have to share helmets.

Reading is fundamental.

MACHIAVELLI
January 18th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I think that Broadway is the safe candidate. I think Brown still has other Pro aspiriations. I wouldn't be suprised if he withdrew his name from the race. I hope Jones does the same.