PDA

View Full Version : UCA AD Leave for Ole Miss DC Job

TexasTerror
January 16th, 2007, 08:17 AM
An AD leaving may not be big news for most of you, but when you consider UCA is in the midst of going through the transition process under the NCAA's watchful eye, this is an important transaction that will lead to a very critical hire.

The new AD will have to continue with the transition process to Div I, work forward with facilities upgrades and more importantly, work with UCA President Lu Hardin on finding a home for the recently reinstated UCA mens' soccer team.
-------------------
CONWAY, Ark _ University of Central Arkansas Athletic Director John Thompson has accepted the defensive coordinator position at the University of Mississippi.

Thompson, 51, the director of athletics at UCA since May 2006, will join the staff of Coach Ed Orgeron, who played for Thompson when he was the defensive coordinator at Northwestern State in the early 1980s.

"I am very thankful to UCA and to Ole Miss for this opportunity,' Thompson said on Monday. "I've enjoyed this job very much and I'm excited about joining Coach Orgeron at Ole Miss. I believe we can do great things there. Ole Miss has a great tradition and I'm honored to be able to join their team there and be a part of it.'

Thompson was hired last year to lead the UCA athletic program in its first year as an NCAA Division I program. UCA moved to Division I and joined the Southland Conference on July 1, 2006.

"John Thompson was an excellent athletic director and I hate to see him leave UCA,' said UCA President Lu Hardin. "However, this is an extraordinary opportunity and I am personally happy for Coach Thompson.'

Thompson has a 28-year background as a football coach and is recognized as one of the top defensive coordinators in the nation. He has five previous stints in the Southeastern Conference, having coached at Arkansas, Florida, LSU, Alabama and South Carolina, as well as Southern Mississippi and Memphis. He was also head coach at East Carolina for two seasons.

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=16&article=1653

Purple Pride
January 16th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I think JT will find he won't have any shortage of volunteers to help him load the U-Haul. What a hack. He's had 12 jobs in those 28 years(anywhere from 6 yrs to 1 month). This'll tell you a little about his integrity. Just change the university and town and you can run it every couple of years, guaranteed.:mad: :twocents:

http://www.ucafans.com/redesign/article.php?article_id=149

Purple Pride
January 16th, 2007, 10:30 AM
"I think the bottom line for me is I didn't think God was ready for me to settle and you have to listen to Him."
John Thompson as quoted in LCD

I guess God made him bail this time.:nono: :eek:

Purple Pride
January 16th, 2007, 10:44 AM
"Among those on President Hardin's current short list could be former University of Arkansas coach Ken Hatfield, who has recently moved to northwest Arkansas; former UCA head football coach Harold Horton, a vice-president with the UA Foundation and still a popular figure in Conway; and Arkansas-Little Rock Athletic Director Chris Peterson.

"Another aspect of this search is that I am personally immersed in the legislative session almost daily, particularly on budget issues" Hardin said. "So, I have work to do in both areas. I've also talked to Tom Burnett (Soutland Conference commissioner), who has offered his help. And with his connections, that could be very valuable."

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/011607/loc_0116070004.shtml

lizrdgizrd
January 16th, 2007, 11:03 AM
"Among those on President Hardin's current short list could be former University of Arkansas coach Ken Hatfield, who has recently moved to northwest Arkansas; former UCA head football coach Harold Horton, a vice-president with the UA Foundation and still a popular figure in Conway; and Arkansas-Little Rock Athletic Director Chris Peterson.

"Another aspect of this search is that I am personally immersed in the legislative session almost daily, particularly on budget issues" Hardin said. "So, I have work to do in both areas. I've also talked to Tom Burnett (Soutland Conference commissioner), who has offered his help. And with his connections, that could be very valuable."

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/011607/loc_0116070004.shtml
I remember Hatfield from my time at Clemson. He was a pretty good coach, but we all thought he'd make a good AD as well. Maybe he'll get his shot.

TexasTerror
January 16th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Burnett is a sensational Commish. Does not get as much credit as he deserves and he is very committed to UCA and your program. His work towards cutting down the transition period, getting UCA a televised football game this past season, etc is really showing his dedication to UCA.

Bear Fan 101
January 16th, 2007, 12:01 PM
and more than a few of us appreciate his hard work and support of UCA as well!

JoshUCA
January 16th, 2007, 12:43 PM
and more than a few of us appreciate his hard work and support of UCA as well!
Ditto!