PDA

View Full Version : Old Dominion Coaching Search

TexasTerror
January 15th, 2007, 10:43 PM
According to Nick Deriso, a decision may come as soon as Wednesday as it relates to the Grambling coach search, "that's the day Broadway is scheduled to interview with Old Dominion."

Yep, NCCU head coach Rod Broadway who interviewed for the Grambling vacancy is apparently among those interviewing for Old Dominion's position.

A bit early to fill the coaching spot at ODU, eh? Is Deriso off his rocker or is this real? No word I could find...

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/2007/01/in-beginning.html#links

NoSpinZone
January 15th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Very solid hire if it happens. Lots of contacts in the area from working at UNC and proven head coaching experience. 33-11 at any level is pretty solid.

jmuroller
January 16th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Rip Scherer, former JMU coach
Curt Newsome, former JMU OL coach now VT OL coach, Hampton Native
CNU Head Coach (can't think of his name right now)

Those are a few that I have heard.

JMUFortier
January 16th, 2007, 09:35 AM
CNU Head Coach (can't think of his name right now)

He would be Matt Kelchner.

89Hen
January 16th, 2007, 10:19 AM
A bit early to fill the coaching spot at ODU, eh?
It would appear a little premature. I seem to recall FAU and FIU having their coaches about a year and a half before their first season. That would mean next off-season for ODU.

mcveyrl
January 16th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I heard they're going to hire Wendy Larry...

She's the manliest (is that a word?) coach on campus...

Monarch Nation
January 16th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I heard they're going to hire Wendy Larry...

She's the manliest (is that a word?) coach on campus...

She could beat the living hell out of Dean Keener. :smiley_wi

We are scheduled to make a coaching announcement either this month of February. The advisors (Sheridan & Welsh) have suggested we hire this early so to start hiring ass't coaches. We will recruit a 2008 class which will redshirt and practice only. Our 2009 class will join them on the field.

mcveyrl
January 16th, 2007, 03:43 PM
She could beat the living hell out of Dean Keener. :smiley_wi

You'll get no argument from me on that one!!!xlolx xlolx

Sir William
January 16th, 2007, 04:13 PM
For those of us out of the loop, who is Wendy Larry?

ATrain
January 16th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Wendy Larry is the women's bball coach at ODU...she has led the Lady Monarchs to 15 consecutive CAA women's bball tournament titles. Thats five more than the Lady Flames of Liberty with 10 consecutive Big South titles.

CSUBUCDAD
January 16th, 2007, 06:40 PM
I am really glad to see ODU finally getting the football program off the drawing board and on the field. Always wondered why they had the huge stadium on campus and no football team to use it.

dustinadam
January 16th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I hope he gets the job at Old Dominion. I'm hearing that Brown is the man at Grambling.

TexasTerror
February 1st, 2007, 10:07 PM
Big fan of Mike London from his time with the Houston Texans. It'd be a great hire for ODU. A major FBS program's coach with experience at FCS in the region, FBS and even NFL...

ODU football coaching search progresses
BY DAVE FAIRBANK
[email protected] | 247-4637
February 1, 2007, 10:32 PM EST
University of Virginia defensive coordinator Mike London and William and Mary assistant head coach Bob Solderitch have interviewed with Old Dominion University officials about becoming the Monarchs' new football coach, according to sources. Solderitch has spoken with ODU officials twice, while London toured the ODU campus and facilities Thursday, said the sources, who spoke only on condition of anonymity.

It's unclear if either is a finalist for the job. ODU officials hope to introduce a head coach by mid-February, the next step in a timetable in which the Monarchs will begin play in 2009.

London, 46, a Hampton native, came back to Virginia last season after one year with the NFL's Houston Texans. Prior to that, he was an assistant with the Cavaliers, Boston College, Richmond and William and Mary.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/oducoaching.f2,0,6560319.story?coll=dp-sports-local

Sir William
February 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
This is a Fox News Alert from Pickens SC: Danny Ford will be named head football coach at ODU at a 2 o'clock press conference today. Inasmuch, the NCAA has already placed the Monarchs on 4-yrs probation.

TexasTerror
February 6th, 2007, 08:19 AM
London would be my personal pick for the ODU job. This column apparently disagrees saying that London would be better served by staying at Virginia than moving to ODU...

London better served at U.Va. than ODU
Published February 6 2007
As college football recruiters lock up the Class of 2007, one of the area's bigger sales jobs plays out at a place without the first helmet or tackling dummy.

Old Dominion seeks a head coach for its start-up program. There are dozens of interested parties, but the Monarchs' short list appears to include Virginia assistant and Hampton native Mike London.

London is an attractive candidate for several reasons: local ties; experience at the highest level of college football and the NFL; the fact that he would give ODU its only African-American head coach.

Not to mention that he is a surpassingly decent and principled fellow.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/columnists/dp-48341cm0feb06,0,7482615.column?coll=dp-sports-columnists

TexasTerror
February 6th, 2007, 08:21 AM
London would be my personal pick for the ODU job. This column apparently disagrees saying that London would be better served by staying at Virginia than moving to ODU...

London better served at U.Va. than ODU
Published February 6 2007
As college football recruiters lock up the Class of 2007, one of the area's bigger sales jobs plays out at a place without the first helmet or tackling dummy.

Old Dominion seeks a head coach for its start-up program. There are dozens of interested parties, but the Monarchs' short list appears to include Virginia assistant and Hampton native Mike London.

London is an attractive candidate for several reasons: local ties; experience at the highest level of college football and the NFL; the fact that he would give ODU its only African-American head coach.

Not to mention that he is a surpassingly decent and principled fellow.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/columnists/dp-48341cm0feb06,0,7482615.column?coll=dp-sports-columnists

Monarch Nation
February 6th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I'll re-post this here since my ODU Progress thread has turned into a conference realignment discussion.

Another head coaching name: Bobby Wilder - asst head coach and OC at Maine.

Virginian Pilot Article (http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=118879&ran=4614)

Scuttlebutt has it that a coaching announcement will be made Thursday or Saturday.

mainejeff
February 6th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I'll re-post this here since my ODU Progress thread has turned into a conference realignment discussion.

Another head coaching name: Bobby Wilder - asst head coach and OC at Maine.

Virginian Pilot Article (http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=118879&ran=4614)

Scuttlebutt has it that a coaching announcement will be made Thursday or Saturday.

Sounds like ODU may be waiting until after Signing Day.......which makes sense considering some of the candidates. Good move on ODU's part and the right thing to do considering that since they are not signing recruits until 2008.

Monarch Nation
February 8th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Sounds like Mike London is pulling out of consideration at ODU.

University of Virginia football coach Al Groh hinted strongly Wednesday that his defensive coordinator, Mike London, is seriously considering withdrawing as a candidate for the head-coaching opening at Old Dominion University.

Asked about London during a news conference to talk about 2007 football signings, Groh replied: "I'll leave it for Mike to make the final comment, but I feel very positive about the stability of our staff situation."

When reached Wednesday night at a recruiting celebration in Charlottesville, London declined to comment. One university official, who asked not to be named, said he expected London to address the situation publicly in the near future.

VP Article - Mike London (http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=119005&ran=7955)

UPDATE: London is definitely out.
VP Article - London Out (http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=119065&ran=4143)

Monarch Nation
February 9th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Just announced:

Bobby Wilder is the new head coach of Old Dominion.

ODU Announcement (http://odusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020907aaa.html)

VP Article (http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=119142&ran=28744)

Peems
February 9th, 2007, 04:57 PM
congrats! but back to wendy larry, does she hang out with coach taylor much?

mainejeff
February 9th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Just announced:

Bobby Wilder is the new head coach of Old Dominion.

ODU Announcement (http://odusports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020907aaa.html)

VP Article (http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=119142&ran=28744)

Good luck to Bobby Wilder in his new gig.......I will become an ODU fan now ;).

TexasTerror
February 10th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Congrats ODU on the hire...

Can't wait to hear more as your program grows and develops...

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Lots of love for Wilder...two articles about Wilder from the Daily Press...

Wilder ready to recruit:
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-wilder.f13,0,1122986.story?coll=dp-sports-local

Wilder flawless in first act:
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-teel.f13,0,1198738.column?coll=dp-sports-local

89Hen
February 12th, 2007, 09:26 PM
:eyebrow: I would have tried to get the CNU coach. :twocents:

Monarch Nation
February 13th, 2007, 07:24 AM
More on Wilder:

Wilder lays out vision - ODU football timeline (http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=119313&ran=33891)

TexasTerror
February 13th, 2007, 07:27 AM
$190,000 a year...very nice!

------------
TIMELINE TILL KICKOFF

Late Feb.: Luxury suites and club seats go on sale.

March: First assistant football coaches hired.

Construction on the field hockey/lacrosse and softball facilities on Powhatan Avenue begins.

May: An assistant athletic director assigned to football hired.

September: CAA begins playing football as a conference sport.

Feb. 6, 2008: National Signing Day; ODU announces its first class of players signing letters of intent.

Open tryouts for ODU students to walk on to play football.

June 2008: Powhatan complex completed.

July 2008: Foreman Field renovation begins.

Season tickets go on sale.

August 2008: First players arrive on campus to begin fall workouts.

September 2009: ODU plays first football game since 1940.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 13th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Good luck to Bobby Wilder in his new gig.......I will become an ODU fan now ;).
:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Say it ain't so! :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

henfan
February 13th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I'm puzzled by this hiring. Not sure why ODU would have went for an O-coordinator from a school with an offense that has really not set itself apart; a guy totally unfamilair with the recruiting area. On the good side, Wilder has plenty of experience in the CAA.

Do Maine fans have any feeling on Cosgrove's status if 2007 turns out to be less than stellar? How long does UM have Coz locked in?

Tribe4SF
February 13th, 2007, 01:25 PM
:eyebrow: I would have tried to get the CNU coach. :twocents:

He was an applicant.

PapaBear
February 13th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Do Maine fans have any feeling on Cosgrove's status if 2007 turns out to be less than stellar? How long does UM have Coz locked in?

My understanding is that 2007 is the last year of Coach Coz's contract.

What happens after this year is anybody's guess, of course. But the way I see it, anything but a total meltdown buys him an extension.

After all, the guy has to make up for the loss of his OC and a 4-year starter at QB -- plus gamebreaker Arel Gordon at RB; and also replace three legitimate NFL propsects on defense (Devito, King and Stone) along with all-A10 cornerback Manauris Arias.

Heck, if they win three or four games and play the rest competitively, there has to be optimism in Orono. Anything better than that, and Coz will be on the ballot in the 2008 Presidential Election.

mainejeff
February 13th, 2007, 07:59 PM

What happens after this year is anybody's guess, of course. But the way I see it, anything but a total meltdown buys him an extension.

After all, the guy has to make up for the loss of his OC and a 4-year starter at QB -- plus gamebreaker Arel Gordon at RB; and also replace three legitimate NFL propsects on defense (Devito, King and Stone) along with all-A10 cornerback Manauris Arias.

Heck, if they win three or four games and play the rest competitively, there has to be optimism in Orono. Anything better than that, and Coz will be on the ballot in the 2008 Presidential Election.

I have to begrudgingly agree with you, although I don't see him getting another 5 year contract extension. Maine would have to go 3-8 or worse for there to be any pressure at all to ditch Cosgrove. In fact, I'm not even sure that enough people care about the football program to raise much of a stink no matter what his record is. :(

Many Maine fans are just pleased that he's been "loyal" to the program......whoopee, a loyal coach that can't win.

henfan
February 15th, 2007, 10:43 AM

What happens after this year is anybody's guess, of course. But the way I see it, anything but a total meltdown buys him an extension...

Thanks for the info, PapaBear. I suspected Coz's contract had to be about ready to expire. I recall the hullabaloo during the last go around, which had Coz working without a contract for a period of time. UMaine was lowballing him.

I've always had a favorable impression of the guy. He seems like a genuinely decent man, loyal and a darn good recruiter and player developer. If there's any knock against Cosgrove, it would have to be his lack of ability to adjust his gameplans. That said, he almost always has his team ready to play. :twocents:

PapaBear
February 15th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the info, PapaBear. I suspected Coz's contract had to be about ready to expire. I recall the hullabaloo during the last go around, which had Coz working without a contract for a period of time. UMaine was lowballing him.

I've always had a favorable impression of the guy. He seems like a genuinely decent man, loyal and a darn good recruiter and player developer. If there's any knock against Cosgrove, it would have to be his lack of ability to adjust his gameplans. That said, he almost always has his team ready to play. :twocents:

If Coz is guilty of anything, maybe he's guilty of being too hands-off, when it comes to game planning. He appears to give his OC and DC pretty much full responsibility for it -- at least at the nuts-and-bolts level. (Which is as it should be. Otherwise, what's he paying them for?) I've observed him do virtually ZERO playcalling on offense.

To your other point, I will tell you that the players -- at least the several dozen that I know -- hold him in very high regard. He's honorable and loyal, yet fiery and no-nonsense when he has to be, too.

Should be an interesting year.xcoffeex