PDA

View Full Version : Any Patriot Recruiting News?

DFW HOYA
January 14th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Have any other PL schools been making news on the recruiting front?

Very quiet on the Hoya front. Don't know if that's good or bad, but with fewer offers available than everyone else in the league, the staff has to work a lot harder on reaching recruits.

Go...gate
January 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Also quiet for Colgate at this time.

LBPop
January 14th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Have any other PL schools been making news on the recruiting front?
Very quiet on the Hoya front.

In my short experience, Georgetown has always been among the last to reveal their list. Of course the final signing day is more than two weeks away, so there's still time. Last year Coach Kelly did not put out the Hoya list until very late, but since he started so late that was to be expected. I will be very interested in seeing how well he and his staff do with a full recruiting season to work with. Given the number of freshmen who made significant contributions in 2006, I am encouraged--but I'm always encouraged. :rolleyes:

ngineer
January 14th, 2007, 10:31 PM
LFN has some names up on his blog that have Lehigh on their 'short list'. There are also some names being bandied about on the Lehigh Voy Board, but nothing concrete as yet.

Pard94
January 15th, 2007, 07:13 AM
There have been a few names thrown around over on the Lafayette board as well. Most of them list Lafayette as one of a few schools making their pitches. Usual suspects...Colgate, Lehigh, HC and the Ivies listed as other suitors.

Ken_Z
January 15th, 2007, 02:36 PM
appears Bucknell and the Hoyas are going after a number of the same kids:

LB Trey Hunsucker: Has received no scholarship offers yet, but the 4.0 GPA student has narrowed his list of schools to Colgate, Bucknell, Georgetown, Navy, Wofford and William & Mary.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Clarkston running back Isiah Bell will visit Georgetown on Jan. 20 and Bucknell the following weekend.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Jared Turcotte of Lewiston High (Maine) already had received a few awards for his outstanding senior season. He won the Gatorade Award as the state´s top football player late last fall and was selected to two newspapers´ all-state teams.

Turcotte, a fast and powerful running back, saved the best for last as he was named the winner of the 36th James J. Fitzpatrick Trophy, Maine´s most prestigious high school athletic award, at a banquet Sunday night at Portland´s Holiday Inn By The Bay. The award goes to the state´s top high school football player based on voting by high school coaches and members of the media.

Turcotte is being recruited aggressively by Division 1-AA colleges, including Maine, Bucknell, Holy Cross and, a late-comer, Georgetown. He postponed a campus visit to Orono this past weekend to focus on Sunday night's ceremonies but plans to go there and to visit at least one more school (Bucknell) in the coming weeks. He plans to study pre-med and hopes to join a program where he can continue to play running back.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

it appears all three are bright inividuals so i assume Bucknell will do well in these recruiting battles :)

Ken_Z
January 16th, 2007, 07:33 AM
another one courtesy of Andy (Lafayette):

Nick Bandoni, Carteret, NJ Rated #24 OLB in the country by ESPN

Bandoni, 6-foot-2 and 235-pounds, told NJVarsity.com where he took his first visit to and his plans for the rest of the month.

"I went to Georgetown this weekend and it was great," said Bandoni. "Next weekend I'm going to check Bucknell out and maybe a couple more schools the weeks after that."

Bandoni currently holds offers from Georgetown, Bucknell, Colgate, and Lafayette, plus he is still receiving consistent interest from William & Mary and Monmouth. The visit to Georgetown was his first.

Fordham
January 16th, 2007, 08:40 AM
I have no idea at this point how things are going in Ram land. Just crossing my fingers at this point.

Regarding all of the common recruits between B-nell and G-town, it'll be very interesting to see if one school gets the lion's share of these guys. Also, is there any link here to the fact that these two schools clearly have the best and most 'big time' hoops programs out of the schools who play PL football?

carney2
January 16th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Same old, same old. Very little information for Patriot League (or most CS [formerly I-AA] schools) at this time. I don't expect to see any recruiting lists until after letter of intent day (although Lafayette released their list on February 2nd last year).

Also, some very strange "information" gets passed around at this time of the year. Examples:

A recruit who is considering Lafayette and a couple D-III schools. He must be good.

The 6'2", 235 lb. linebacker mentioned previously who is rated the #24 OLB in the country and is considering Patriot League schools almost exclusively. No BS (formerly I-A) interest? Not even an inquiry from the A-10 or the Ivys? Something's wrong there.

PapaBear
January 16th, 2007, 11:07 AM
He postponed a campus visit to Orono this past weekend to focus on Sunday night's ceremonies but plans to go there and to visit at least one more school (Bucknell) in the coming weeks. He plans to study pre-med and hopes to join a program where he can continue to play running back.

If he does a visit to Orono, Maine will sign him. The coaches and players there give off a sense of welcoming unity that is second to none.

Fordham
January 16th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Interesting angle that your guys take there Papa. Perhaps we should stop with our impersonal, treat the players like cattle and offer them little to no support academically or athletically strategy.

Pard4Life
January 16th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Quitter than last year it seems... future of the league hangs in the balance.

PapaBear
January 16th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Interesting angle that your guys take there Papa. Perhaps we should stop with our impersonal, treat the players like cattle and offer them little to no support academically or athletically strategy.

Not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic. But just for the record, UMaine has a well-trained and very involved academic support staff and maintains extensive academic oversight over student-athletes throughout their careers. Hope I didn't imply otherwise.

My point was, I don't think it's Maine's academic or athletic support that separates it from a lot of other schools. I think it's the closeness of the players and coaches. At least that's what drew my son there (compared with other A10 and Patriot schools he visited). It's also what I've heard from other parents -- of both upperclassmen and newbies.

And before someone brings it up ... I'm well aware of Maine's past issues with player discipline. Can't speak for those incidents, but I can tell you that, in just the past two seasons that my son has been there, I know of at least three players (starters and significant backups) who've been dismissed from the team, or severely punished in other ways, for what most people would consider fairly minor offenses. They don't tolerate much nonsense up in Orono.

mainejeff
January 16th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Hey Papa.....Any news on Maine recruiting other than the Treister (the Portland QB)?

Fordham
January 16th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic. But just for the record, UMaine has a well-trained and very involved academic support staff and maintains extensive academic oversight over student-athletes throughout their careers. Hope I didn't imply otherwise.

My point was, I don't think it's Maine's academic or athletic support that separates it from a lot of other schools. I think it's the closeness of the players and coaches. At least that's what drew my son there (compared with other A10 and Patriot schools he visited). It's also what I've heard from other parents -- of both upperclassmen and newbies.

And before someone brings it up ... I'm well aware of Maine's past issues with player discipline. Can't speak for those incidents, but I can tell you that, in just the past two seasons that my son has been there, I know of at least three players (starters and significant backups) who've been dismissed from the team, or severely punished in other ways, for what most people would consider fairly minor offenses. They don't tolerate much nonsense up in Orono.

Oh it was absolutely sarcastic <side note - did you seriously think my previous post just laid out our recruiting strategy? :eyebrow: >. Not a knock at Maine in any sense but rather how definitive your "Maine will sign him" was and then using team unity as the reason. I'm sure Maine is great but you have no idea what the team chemistry at Bucknell or G-town is by comparison and you have no idea what role the relative strength of each school's academic profile will play in his decision. So if he wants to become a doctor and gets accepted at G-town, where they also have a great medical school, you're going to tell me that he's going to pick team chemistry over what, for all you know, could be his life long dream of becoming a doctor?

Maybe you'd argue it's just semantics but it came off as arrogant as hell to me when you have no idea what the relative strengths of the other schools are or what this kid desires in a program.

PapaBear
January 16th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Oh it was absolutely sarcastic <side note - did you seriously think my previous post just laid out our recruiting strategy? :eyebrow: >. Not a knock at Maine in any sense but rather how definitive your "Maine will sign him" was and then using team unity as the reason. I'm sure Maine is great but you have no idea what the team chemistry at Bucknell or G-town is by comparison and you have no idea what role the relative strength of each school's academic profile will play in his decision. So if he wants to become a doctor and gets accepted at G-town, where they also have a great medical school, you're going to tell me that he's going to pick team chemistry over what, for all you know, could be his life long dream of becoming a doctor?

Maybe you'd argue it's just semantics but it came off as arrogant as hell to me when you have no idea what the relative strengths of the other schools are or what this kid desires in a program.

You're right. It did sound arrogrant. Didn't mean it that way. I guess I played the football card a little heavier than I should have.

But just so you know, I'm not totally ignorant of the ambience (academic, social or otherwise) available on other campuses. My son visited many, some officially and some unofficially, during the recruiting process. And I know personally many athletes that have visited and signed with others. Including Fordham. And Bucknell. (But ... team chemistry at Georgetown? Football? :eyebrow: )

What YOU may not be factoring in is that a full ride to a school with less prestigious academics may play a bigger role in the kid's decision than will a secured -- but not scholarshipped -- admission to a school with a higher academic pedigree. I was assuming the kid would pick a schollie over a non-schollie, and figure he could get a good education either way. Not a 100% accurate assumption, I admit. But certainly a justifiable one.

Anyway, crtitique taken and noted.

Fordham
January 16th, 2007, 03:42 PM
no problem and thanks for a great follow-up reply. If it was a major offense I would've just taken direct umbrage v. the sarcasm - no big deal overall.

That said:

1. Georgetown's chemistry is great and I hear their biology is very well regarded as well.

2. Regarding the schollies - I absolutely factor that in. It's a huge hole in the allure of PL football imo, particularly now that NEC schools are offering them as well and recruiting for the small niche of available players has just gotten that much tougher for us all.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 16th, 2007, 04:03 PM
1. Georgetown's chemistry is great ...

Wait.. are you saying that Lehigh is impersonal, treats the players like cattle and offers them little to no support academically or athletically?

This post was 100% humorous.

Fordham
January 16th, 2007, 04:10 PM
This post was 100% humorous.

eh, it wasn't really that funny.

:p

Andy
January 16th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Colgate, Cornell?

January 9, 2007

Pittsburgh, PA (CSTV U-WIRE) -- Freshman defensive end McKenzie Mathews is leaving the Pitt football team and transferring from the University, according to a statement released by head coach Dave Wannstedt yesterday.

"McKenzie is uncertain whether he wants to continue playing football," Wannstedt said.

"He has informed us that he will transfer from Pitt, perhaps to a smaller school closer to home.

"We wish him well in his future pursuits."

Mathews saw action in nine games this past season as a true freshman. He recorded 10 tackles, five solo and five assisted during his action.

Mathews was recruited out of Christian Brothers Academy in Syracuse, N.Y. ///////

Mathews was Rivals rated #5 player in NY and #14 Weakside DE in the country. 6-2 225 GPA: 3.15 SAT: 1160

mainejeff
January 16th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Hey Papa.....Any news on Maine recruiting other than the Treister (the Portland QB)?

I guess not......

Fordham
January 16th, 2007, 08:54 PM
interesting to me to see how many of these kids have Gtown among their final choices. I do not remember that happening in previous years.

also interesting that pretty much none of the articles here or on your respective school boards have Fordham listed as a finalist among the kids that you're looking at. They all read: looking at various A10 schools, Laf, Lehigh, HC, Gtown or Bnell. Haven't seen a Fordham yet. Either we're going where you guys aren't for our group this year or it's not gonna be a good off season in Ramland.

DFW HOYA
January 16th, 2007, 09:08 PM
interesting to me to see how many of these kids have Gtown among their final choices. I do not remember that happening in previous years.

I think some of this may be attributable to Kevin Kelly. His prior experience as a defensive coordinator at Marshall and his recent positions recruiting for Syracuse and Navy give him a step up on working with prospects where Georgetown was probably not even considered in the past.

TheValleyRaider
January 16th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Colgate, Cornell?

January 9, 2007

Pittsburgh, PA (CSTV U-WIRE) -- Freshman defensive end McKenzie Mathews is leaving the Pitt football team and transferring from the University, according to a statement released by head coach Dave Wannstedt yesterday.

"McKenzie is uncertain whether he wants to continue playing football," Wannstedt said.

"He has informed us that he will transfer from Pitt, perhaps to a smaller school closer to home.

Mathews saw action in nine games this past season as a true freshman. He recorded 10 tackles, five solo and five assisted during his action.

Mathews was recruited out of Christian Brothers Academy in Syracuse, N.Y. ///////

Mathews was Rivals rated #5 player in NY and #14 Weakside DE in the country. 6-2 225 GPA: 3.15 SAT: 1160

I suppose Colgate would qualify as a "smaller school closer to home" for a CBA kid, but if he's uncertain about continuing with football as the article states, there are certainly plenty of places nearby he could go, including Hamilton, Utica, LeMoyne, Ithaca, Morrisville, Cortland...(some D-III, some non-Football). I'm also not sure Cornell would quite qualify as "smaller" than Pitt, but I'm not 100% on that. If he really is unsure about his football future, a lower-level school like a D-III might make more sense :twocents:

Andy
January 17th, 2007, 11:28 AM
...well, you have me smiling, VR. Coming out of HS this kid made comments about the importance of academics in his decision, he was down to Pitt, BC, and Michigan. Now, he can, with all probability, attend one of the best U's in the country in Gate or Cornell for nothing. If he chooses SUNY Morrisville, I'll donate to the Colgate booster club.

LBPop
January 17th, 2007, 12:19 PM
his recent positions recruiting for Syracuse and Navy give him a step up on working with prospects where Georgetown was probably not even considered in the past.

To expand a little on that, Coach Kelly will tell you that when he was recruiting for Navy he was speaking to many of the same type of kids that he is now recruiting for Georgetown. Ironically, three years ago he was recruiting LBKid for Navy. Now the Kid is playing for him at Georgetown.

I have said before that Coach Kelly believes that if he can get a recruit to visit Georgetown, he can get them to come to Georgetown. As DFW has explained so many times, the only real obstacle is money. Money would even out the financial aid imbalance in the PL and would even out the facilities imbalance as well. Past that, Georgetown is tough to beat. :nod:

Ken_Z
January 17th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Past that, Georgetown is tough to beat. :nod:

well, except on the field :D

Fordham
January 17th, 2007, 12:47 PM
eh, they're tough for us to beat.

and, pop, I think everyone realizes that G-town is a sleeping giant in the PL but the "money" thing is a pretty big hurdle.

DetroitFlyer
January 17th, 2007, 01:20 PM
http://dayton.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=53711

This kid is reported to be looking at Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham, Holy Cross, Lafayette and Lehigh. This is a trend that I have picked up on the last couple of years. My Flyers seem to be banging heads with the Ivy and PL many times for recruits. Last year we had what I think was our best recruiting class ever! I anxious to see how we do this year!

TheValleyRaider
January 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM
...well, you have me smiling, VR. Coming out of HS this kid made comments about the importance of academics in his decision, he was down to Pitt, BC, and Michigan. Now, he can, with all probability, attend one of the best U's in the country in Gate or Cornell for nothing. If he chooses SUNY Morrisville, I'll donate to the Colgate booster club.

Hey, if he's willing to come to Colgate, I'm sure we'll gladly take him. But, if the coach is to be believed when it comes to his losing interesting in football (if I-A coaches are to be believed about anything), then maybe I'll be careful about getting my hopes up. Of course, Morrisville was something of a stretch I suppose...:) .

Certainly though, Hamilton and Ithaca aren't slouches academically :twocents:

LBPop
January 17th, 2007, 02:59 PM
well, except on the field :D

Please give me just a moment while I remove the knife from my back. Thanks.xlolx :rolleyes: :( :bawling:

JoltinJoe
January 24th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Two reliable posters on the Fordham board report that Fordham has received a commitment from Iona Prep QB Sean Mara, who was also being recruited by Rutgers. Don't know whether Rutgers has offered though.

Mara is the grandson of one of Fordham's most famous football alumni, Wellington Mara, the late former owner of the New York Giants.

Also, one of the posters indicate that Fordham has received commitments from two WRs from Texas. Nice to see that we continue to recruit well in the Lone Star State.

danefan
January 24th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Colgate, Cornell?

January 9, 2007

Those academic #'s look more like a SUNY school than Cornell or Colgate. Hmm....maybe Albany? Scholarships are a beautiful thing aren't they?:hurray:

But if he doesn't want to play football anymore...thats a whole different story. But Albany's former LB coach is now the DB coach at Pitt, so I'm sure they'll have the scoop.

carney2
January 24th, 2007, 08:51 AM
A posting on the Lehigh board (of all places) said that Lafayette got 100% commitments from prospects on the first weekend of campus visits. No confirmation that I know of.

ngineer
January 24th, 2007, 01:16 PM
A posting on the Lehigh board (of all places) said that Lafayette got 100% commitments from prospects on the first weekend of campus visits. No confirmation that I know of.

A lot of those posts are suspicious and based on a lot of loose talk on all sorts of subjects. I would be very surprised if that number of students looking at PL type of schools would be making verbals (which aren't much of a commitment anyway) without visiting their other prospectives.

JMG1MON
January 24th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Two reliable posters on the Fordham board report that Fordham has received a commitment from Iona Prep QB Sean Mara, who was also being recruited by Rutgers. Don't know whether Rutgers has offered though.

Mara is the grandson of one of Fordham's most famous football alumni, Wellington Mara, the late former owner of the New York Giants.

Also, one of the posters indicate that Fordham has received commitments from two WRs from Texas. Nice to see that we continue to recruit well in the Lone Star State.

Sean Mara was being recruited as a walkon at Rutgers. The odds of him ever seeing the field at Rutgers was/is none. Schiano tends to offer some diamonds in the rough real late (like the morning of signing day, i.e. Ron Girault), so that could have been the case with Mara.

carney2
January 24th, 2007, 01:48 PM
A lot of those posts are suspicious and based on a lot of loose talk on all sorts of subjects. I would be very surprised if that number of students looking at PL type of schools would be making verbals (which aren't much of a commitment anyway) without visiting their other prospectives.

I agree. Your logic is ironclad. You will note that my report states that all of this is unconfirmed.

JoltinJoe
January 24th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Sean Mara was being recruited as a walkon at Rutgers. The odds of him ever seeing the field at Rutgers was/is none. Schiano tends to offer some diamonds in the rough real late (like the morning of signing day, i.e. Ron Girault), so that could have been the case with Mara.

The way you phrase this is misleading. Rutgers currently has a glut of talented quarterbacks and did tell Mara that they did not intend to offer a quarterback in this class unless it was left holding scholarships. But to suggest that he definitely couldn't cut it at the Division I-A/BCS level is an assumption on your part. Mara rated 5.2 on rivals.com, which is deemed to be at least a I-A mid-major prospect.

ngineer
January 25th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Two names have surfaced as having given verbal commitments to Lehigh:

John Veniero--West Essex, NJ. Was All-County RB at 6'2", 185 and rushed for 1500+

Davis Brown--Hopewell, NJ. #2 NJ all-state OL/DL 6' 265lb.