PDA

View Full Version : App St Football Speculation

TexasTerror
January 13th, 2007, 10:16 AM
What's a student newspaper know? Seems they're trying to get even more discussion about a move to FBS, away from FCS out there. Atleast the sports editor does make sure he lets everyone know that they should stay in FCS...
----------
Football future in question
ERIK RHYNE
Sports Editor

The talks will spark up again, as people speculate what is next for the Appalachian State University football team.

Will people push harder than before for Appalachian to make the move to the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision and play with the big boys Or rather, stay in the Southern Conference and continue its reign of the Football Championship Subdivision?

ASU currently holds a 22-game winning streak against FCS opponents. The team’s last loss came in the 2005 season when Furman University defeated Appalachian 34-31 in Greenville, S.C.

The Mountaineers also hold a home winning streak of 27 games, second only to the University of Southern California in all of Division I.

In winning their second national title, the Mountaineers become the first team since Georgia Southern University repeated as champions in 2000-01 and became only the fifth team in the FCS to ever repeat as national champions

The Mountaineers are also the first team in North Carolina to win a championship in football.

While there are valid points for making the move, there also are arguments to stay in the FCS.

http://theapp.appstate.edu/content/view/1830/39/

appfan2008
January 13th, 2007, 12:54 PM
that is our student paper for you... it is pretty bad

JDC325
January 14th, 2007, 09:42 AM

He only contradicts himself about a bizallion times. Sounded more like a highschool kid wrote that.

bobbythekidd
January 14th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Do not get me wrong, Appalachian could stick with any team in the Division I. ASU would probably walk over Duke University, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University.

They would possibly be able to hang with the best teams of the FCS. While not as likely, it could happen.

ASU 10 North Carolina St. 23xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

I would not say that is walking all over. And APP "possibly" hang with the best in FCS, but not likely???:confused:

BrevardMountaineer03
January 14th, 2007, 01:56 PM
ASU 10 North Carolina St. 23xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

I would not say that is walking all over. And APP "possibly" hang with the best in FCS, but not likely???:confused:

One thing I have learned (especially since being on AGS) is that every team has their extremists.

App is a great FCS team, they could hang with FBS teams, walk over, well that's another story.
(before I'm called a homer) But there are teams that can compete with App in the FCS. I still believe App is the best team in the FCS and next year will be tough, but they have had one heck of a 2 year run and deserve the accolades they get.

DFW HOYA
January 14th, 2007, 02:14 PM
This concept only makes sense if App St. is considering joining the Sun Belt for all sports.

The Sun Belt is the really only entrance point for the bowl subdivision at this point, but I suspect they'd woudln't be opposed to take three more and get to 12--outside of North Texas (who used to play in the old Missouri Valley), the conference is almost exclusively comprised of relative newcomers to I-A.

Could App compete with WKU, FIU. FAU and the LA schools? Maybe.

Mr. C
January 14th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Most App fans I have talked to have NO interest in the Sun Belt. One of the biggest obstacles to any Mountaineer plans for moving to the FBS is the fact that ASU is not a good fit with any existing conference. Boone, N.C. is not exactly the kind of media market that any of the existing conferences are excited by. If the Mountaineers ended up in the Sun Belt, they would quickly be the most competitive football program in the league. All they would need was the time to get up to 85 scholarships. But ASU would really be better off staying in the FCS than moving to the Sun Belt. The only way I would see ASU going anywhere would be if some schools like Georgia Southern and James Madison formed a new league with ASU.

Appstate29
January 14th, 2007, 09:36 PM

Could we? are you kidding? I don't think ASU would dominate even the Sunbelt, but WKU was a non-factor this year in FCS and I think FIU FAU and the LA schools would be non-factors as well.

Eyes of Old Main
January 14th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Could App compete with... FIU.

But could Appalachian hang in a STREET FIGHT with FIU?

Eyes of Old Main
January 14th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I think Appalachian could compete in the Sun Belt, maybe not win the league right off, but definately be respectible. But, why would they want to?

Would moving up help them land more BCS games? Probably not. They'd spend more on travel and scholarships and everything else.

For what? A trip to the New Orleans Bowl (the only Sun Belt tie-in) IF they win the conference? I'd rather stay in FCS and make the playoffs most every year.

appfan2008
January 14th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I think Appalachian could compete in the Sun Belt, maybe not win the league right off, but definately be respectible. But, why would they want to?

Would moving up help them land more BCS games? Probably not. They'd spend more on travel and scholarships and everything else.

For what? A trip to the New Orleans Bowl (the only Sun Belt tie-in) IF they win the conference? I'd rather stay in FCS and make the playoffs most every year.

^^^^I AGREE!!!!!!

Grizo406
January 14th, 2007, 11:14 PM
What's a student newspaper know?

...Georgia Southern University repeated as champions in 2000-01

GSU repeated in 1999-2000, not 2000-2001.

I can't remember who won in 2001, but it wasn't Georgia Southern.:D :D ;)

bobbythekidd
January 15th, 2007, 08:22 AM
GSU repeated in 1999-2000, not 2000-2001.

I can't remember who won in 2001, but it wasn't Georgia Southern.:D :D ;)
My records show that would be Montana in 2001.

lizrdgizrd
January 15th, 2007, 08:43 AM
He only contradicts himself about a bizallion times. Sounded more like a highschool kid wrote that.
He doesn't even have all his facts straight. App St. is the first NC school to bring home an NCAA national championship in football. But Lenoir-Rhyne and Elon have both won NAIA national championships.

NoSpinZone
January 15th, 2007, 09:38 AM
the conference is almost exclusively comprised of relative newcomers to I-A.

Correct, and most of the Sun Belt were very strong in D1aa's. I don't see how feel starting a new conference with teams like Georgia Southern, App St, and JMU moving up together would be any better or get better bowls/TV deals/ respect. The Sun Belt has been out there for few years and it's a brand name and progressing and improving. The ACC shake up helped them honestly break off the western teams and making it a southern league. I see them as having more potential than the MAC in the future. If I were ASU, GSU, or JMU why wouldn't you want to associate with teams like MTSU, Troy, WKU all pretty regional and with teams in nice markets in Texas and Florida to get you exposed in. I don't know if the Sun Belt would even expand at this point unless they went to 12 they seem happy to get to 9 and even conference games.

JDC325
January 15th, 2007, 10:07 AM
According to some rumor the SunBelt may be getting another bowl tie in with the GMAC bowl. Still a little early to tell the long term health of the SunBelt but another bowl tie in would not hurt. If App, GSU and JMU were to join I really think it would solidify that conference for good. JMO and nothing else. As for App, GSU or any school wanting to make the jump it comes down to good leadership, planning and support if you have it you end like Boise if you dont you end up like Buffalo.

KAUMASS
January 15th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Speculation? UMass was suppose to move to FBS in 1987 and has been speculating ever since!!

Appalachian the last two years could hang with any most FBS teams with only 63 scholarships..If they continue to get similar athletes like they have now and add another 25 scholarships, they could hang with any BCS conference champion. I know App. is upgrading its stadium, but you would have to upgrade up to 35k for seating..What is the upgraded stadium going to seat? UMass studied it and they need over $50 million to upgrade from 18k to 35k seating capacity. Add another $500,000 for another 23 scholarships per year or a $5-6 million endowment or grant to cover the scholarships per year. Additional items such as infrastructure to handle and attract a big name FBS school to play at your stadium is big dollars!!

If you do move to FBS.. best of luck and call UMass and see if they want to join in the move and if they want to start another conference together. You never know..any given year!!

OL FU
January 15th, 2007, 04:12 PM
First, I don't want you to go
Second, if you go best of luck
Third, if you go and then come on this board and bash FSC, then FU:nod: xlolx

GreatAppSt
January 15th, 2007, 06:14 PM
First, I don't want you to go
Second, if you go best of luck
Third, if you go and then come on this board and bash FSC, then FU:nod: xlolx

:nono: xlolx :p

rufus
January 16th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I think App State and Georgia Southern could work in the Sun Belt, but I can't see any of the CAA teams making that move. When it comes to basketball, the Sun Belt is a step down from the CAA. I think of the Sun Belt as more of a step sideways from the SoCon.

NoSpinZone
January 16th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I think App State and Georgia Southern could work in the Sun Belt, but I can't see any of the CAA teams making that move. When it comes to basketball, the Sun Belt is a step down from the CAA. I think of the Sun Belt as more of a step sideways from the SoCon.

I disagree. The Sun Belt and CAA are pretty much the same caliber most years and a step ahead of the Southern. The CAA just had a great year but they and are back to the normal 1 bid league of the last 20 years. Both the SB and CAA are 1 bid leagues that may get an NIT or two as well. The Southern just more of a one bid.

SoCon48
January 16th, 2007, 09:40 AM
This concept only makes sense if App St. is considering joining the Sun Belt for all sports.

The Sun Belt is the really only entrance point for the bowl subdivision at this point, but I suspect they'd woudln't be opposed to take three more and get to 12--outside of North Texas (who used to play in the old Missouri Valley), the conference is almost exclusively comprised of relative newcomers to I-A.

Hmm. Vs WKU with equal scholarship limits?? Maybe this will answer your doubts?

Appalachian State vs Western Kentucky

Record: 4-1-0

W 7-6 09-09-1972

Bowling Green, KY

L 42-7 09-08-1973

Boone, NC

W 17-16 09-08-1984

Bowling Green, KY

W 31-14 09-14-1985

Boone, NC

W 17-14 12-02-2000
Bowling Green, KY
Division I-AA Quarterfinal Playoff Game

Series ASU 4-1 with 3 out of 5 games played in Bowling Green.

SoCon48
January 16th, 2007, 09:55 AM

A voice of reason.

SoCon48
January 16th, 2007, 09:57 AM
He doesn't even have all his facts straight. App St. is the first NC school to bring home an NCAA national championship in football. But Lenoir-Rhyne and Elon have both won NAIA national championships.

I'm sure its possible someone brought home a Pop Warner or even a Junior College trophy, too.:eyebrow:
I think the kid was loosely referring to Div I.

SoCon48
January 16th, 2007, 10:04 AM

If you've read articles from other student newspapers, the Appalachina is pretty much the norm.
i don't criticize them because they've finally started supporting ASU athletics the past couple years for the first time in almost a decade.

lizrdgizrd
January 16th, 2007, 10:09 AM
If you've read articles from other student newspapers, the Appalachina is pretty much the norm.
i don't criticize them because they've finally started supporting ASU athletics the past couple years for the first time in almost a decade.
Why not criticize them for poor reporting? It's supposed to be a source for news, not misinformation.

Death Dealer
January 16th, 2007, 12:48 PM
They didn't ask me, but I hope you stay put in the SOCON.

JDC325
January 16th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Great point on both issues, however the as far as for football the potential for growth is limitless. GSU has been banging its head on the FCS cieling for years. The longest journey starts with the first step in FBS where teams like GSU, UM and App have reached the end of the road in what FCS can do for a schools football program in terms of attendance and support. If were not for GSU's exploding student population we might have actually been going backwards in attendance. The SunBelt no doubt is NOT the SEC nor will it ever be but if it just happens to be YOUR specific shcools first step in the journey of FBS just clean off the bottom of your shoe in a couple of years and keep on moving UP like Boise.

rufus
January 16th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I disagree. The Sun Belt and CAA are pretty much the same caliber most years and a step ahead of the Southern. The CAA just had a great year but they and are back to the normal 1 bid league of the last 20 years. Both the SB and CAA are 1 bid leagues that may get an NIT or two as well. The Southern just more of a one bid.
I'm not saying that the CAA is vastly superior to the Sun Belt or anything, but the CAA has held an average RPI advantage over the past five years.

YEAR CAA SBC
2006 10 18
2005 14 13
2004 13 16
2003 17 15
2002 11 19
AVG 13.0 16.2

Basketball is not the only reason for staying in the CAA. With the exceptions of UNCW and Georgia State, which don't have football, the Sun Belt does not make good geographic sense for the CAA schools. Even a "southern" school like JMU draws around 80% of its students from either the DC suburbs or northern states. There's just no connection with Sun Belt schools in the Deep South.

Academics also come into the picture. In the Sun Belt, you won't find too many schools like W&M', Delaware, JMU, or Northeastern. You won't find too many schools like Furman, Wofford, or even App State either. Academics certainly aren't the #1 factor in selecting a conference, but academics do matter.

mcveyrl
January 18th, 2007, 09:13 AM

By the way, the latest Bracketology has the CAA getting two teams in again.

Plus, Drexel has beaten all of the traditional Big 5 in the Philly area this season.

I think the CAA is at least to the point where it is an occasional two bid league. It is at least on its way up. IMO (unbiased of course :smiley_wi )

CharlestonAppFan
January 18th, 2007, 09:32 AM
A change in the next several years is inevitable, no matter what people talk about or speculate. App is becoming a great college in NC to go to, with their student applications beginning to increase significantly to prove it. The only hinderence that App will face will be communication and logistics in the area. Not much of it up there, although the communication aspect will continually improve thanks to technology.

Now logistics will have to improve dramatically. As most of you know, the closest airports are over 2 hours away and that hurts App in many ways. I don't see how this will change over the next few years, but something needs to happen in order for the move to work.

I'm not a proponent of App moving up to BCS, but I just think it will happen within the next several years (10) or less. I grew up in Lenoir, which is about 20 miles south of Boone. App used to be a nice, quiet little secret tucked away in the mountains with beautiful scenery, much like Western Carolina is today. But in the past 10 years, App's growth has been tremendous, with money pouring in from all over the south.

I see the determining factors being student population, the amount of money raised through support for all sports and academics, and the two areas mentioned above. I don't think the success of the sports programs contribute as the majority for the basis of moving up, although it doesn't hurt. With App's popularity growing as an academic institution and their improving athletics, I just think that the move will happen sooner rather than later. Just my opinion.

BigApp
January 18th, 2007, 12:59 PM
that's a nice post. good job! :thumbsup:

spoogemcgee18
January 18th, 2007, 01:40 PM
As those of you who have been to Boone know very well, it is a special place to say the least. Call it what you want: a hippie haven, an outdoorsman's paradise, or simply a slighty left of center little mountain community. The fact remains, there is something not quite "status quo" about the town and its inhabitants. Boonies are a special breed (insert inbred joke here).
As a community that loves their football team, it would be completely out of character to sell out and make the move to the BCS ranks. Take a stroll through town on any given day and you're bound to see someone protesting a major, "evil" corporation or "crooked" politician. Wal-Mart, McDonalds, Nike, George W.--no coporate entity or public figure is safe. "Money," "greed," "corruption"--all words you will hear tossed around. But these terms don't apply only to the corporate sector or the political world, but (I think all of you would agree) to the BCS as well.
So why, now, should the great citizens of Boone and Appalachian State University suddenly turn their backs on the ideals they hold so closely? It would be a shame to abandon the grassroots attitude that makes Boone such a great place.

CharlestonAppFan
January 18th, 2007, 02:10 PM
While I would agree with you, spoogie, on the culture of Boone to some extent being rather un-corporate, it is slowly changing. Like you stated, Boone used to be a secret place in the mountains where hippies, outdoors people, and mountain folk all patrolled the streets. It was known for the good um....good um...green leafy "vegetables" and they all flocked up there for it.

Now, I would have to say that it is slowly changing into more of a corporate climate. With the business school (where I graduated from) becoming more recognized, in large part due to the teachers that are hired being ex-corporate souls, App has a more significant impact on Boone than you may realize. The Professionalism Lecture Series is expanding, the Broyhills are investing huge sums of money, and the banking capital of the world is in Charlotte, right down the road. What's the best banking college in NC? Yes....it's App.

Watch over the next few years at the investment in Boone. More corporate businesses will invest their resources up there. I don't think the citizens of Boone are turning their backs on their ideals. The citizens have more opportunity now than in years past to make a great living. I imagine the hard core protesters will move closer to Linville or Valle Crusis and migrate to Lees Mcray.

All this leads to App becoming a more attractive candidate to move up with the big boys. More bells and whistles to larger conferences. After all, the NCAA is a business right? Just my opinion.

spoogemcgee18
January 18th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I agree with a lot of what you said CharlestonAppFan. I just think it's unfortunate that it is happening. All the money that's coming in is driving out the folks that can't afford to live there anymore. The High Country is a place of extremes--Extremely Rich or Extremely Poor. But that's a different matter all together and one that doesn't really belong on a football message board (although my previous post does show that they are linked).

As far as people moving out to Valle Crucis and Linville, those two places are way more expensive than Boone. And Lees Mcrae as a school leaves much to be desired (especially considering its $38,000 tuition), and from what I hear, is very close to kicking the bucket financially.

I also believe in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. As far as I'm concerned, things are just perfect with Appalachian Football right now. Students get free tickets, families from all over NC can afford tickets, and Saturdays in Boone are just incomparable. No reason to get greedy and spoil everything.

Appstate29
January 18th, 2007, 04:31 PM
as a student of the much acclaimed Business School, I Love all the corporate interest we are garnering. The Hippie culture permeating Boone in the past had its place, as it has its place now (adds some seasoning to the town), but there is a new movement in Boone now. We are a grade A institution and we deserve proper funding foremost, and opportunities. Football success helps, garnering corporate interest helps gain the ear of the UNC BOG and the state legislature, so hopefully one day we will finally get the funding we need, rather than the scraps from Chapel Hells table.

mistersykes
January 18th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I agree with a lot of what you said CharlestonAppFan. I just think it's unfortunate that it is happening. All the money that's coming in is driving out the folks that can't afford to live there anymore. The High Country is a place of extremes--Extremely Rich or Extremely Poor. But that's a different matter all together and one that doesn't really belong on a football message board (although my previous post does show that they are linked).

As far as people moving out to Valle Crucis and Linville, those two places are way more expensive than Boone. And Lees Mcrae as a school leaves much to be desired (especially considering its $38,000 tuition), and from what I hear, is very close to kicking the bucket financially.

I also believe in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. As far as I'm concerned, things are just perfect with Appalachian Football right now. Students get free tickets, families from all over NC can afford tickets, and Saturdays in Boone are just incomparable. No reason to get greedy and spoil everything.

I approve of this post. And CharlestonAppFan's posts too, although I wish it wasn't so. As much as I'd like to settle in Boone, I don't think I'd really like how everything is growing here. That's why I left Raleigh. That's why I'll leave Boone. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Appstate29
January 18th, 2007, 04:35 PM

I don't neccesarily agree with this sentiment. Status Quo positions lead to stagnation, which will ruin our Athletics department. I am not advocating a move to the FBS (although I think it may be our only option if the FCS doesn't make significant changes), but we have plenty of things to fix.

youwouldno
January 18th, 2007, 04:49 PM
The whole thing can be summed up pretty easily. App St's 'ceiling' as a football program is comparable to ECU. Of course App St would have to do quite a bit of work to get to that point, because ECU is C-USA and App would almost certainly have to start in the Sun Belt. Plus not everyone wants to go to school in the middle of nowhere.

Ultimately, App St will never overcome UNC and NC St on a long-term basis. App will never compete at the top of the BCS. Dreams of Boise St are just that-- dreams. Can App St be an OK team in the BCS? Yes. They will go to a crappy bowl here and there. One piece of unasked-for advice though: do not move up until Moore's successor is in place and successful.

appsfan
January 18th, 2007, 07:33 PM
All of you guys make good points. I personally would prefer to stay in the FCS if my opinion counted for anything. I see logistical problems moving to the BCS (conference affiliation, Title IX, etc.) Like an earlier poster I would much rather have a chance to go to Chattanooga ( or at least host a playoff game) than to a bowl (like the N.O, Bowl) and lose money on the trip. Once the move is made to the BCS level it is all about the money.

Appaholic
January 19th, 2007, 09:46 AM
One piece of unasked-for advice though: do not move up until Moore's successor is in place and successful.

You are so correct in that statement. As much as I am enjoying our current success, I know in the back of my mind that we should not be shocked the day Coach Moore announces his resignation. I would hate to see us move to FBS and then have to replace Coach Moore during the same time span.....would be two painful transitions that could potentially set us up to become another Duke.

I also agree with earlier posts about Boone transitioning to a more corporate status. One only has to drive down 321S to see the new corporate entities sprouting up everywhere. Thank goodness King Street has remained relatively free of drastic change.

But, I digrees back to football. I really hope we never move up to FBS as money becomes the driving force on all decisions. Frankly, I find it dignified to be associated with FCS where, come what may, the champion is decided every year on the field and not in a pressroom.:twocents:

NoSpinZone
January 19th, 2007, 09:55 AM
The whole thing can be summed up pretty easily. App St's 'ceiling' as a football program is comparable to ECU. Of course App St would have to do quite a bit of work to get to that point, because ECU is C-USA and App would almost certainly have to start in the Sun Belt. Plus not everyone wants to go to school in the middle of nowhere.

Ultimately, App St will never overcome UNC and NC St on a long-term basis. App will never compete at the top of the BCS. Dreams of Boise St are just that-- dreams. Can App St be an OK team in the BCS? Yes. They will go to a crappy bowl here and there. One piece of unasked-for advice though: do not move up until Moore's successor is in place and successful.

That ceiling isn't all that bad for App then because ECU has finished as high as the top 10 before, has great fan support, and for much of the 90's was arguably the best program in North Carolina.

youwouldno
January 19th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I didn't say App's ceiling was "all that bad." Not at all. But the chance of reaching that maximum potential is pretty low, as with any endeavor, and it's possible the major conferences have more of an advantage now than they used to (back when ECU was really good).

To properly analyze the situation, you can't just consider the absolute best outcome, but all the possible outcomes. On the balance App St is still a long ways from really being BCS-ready, and there are a number of permanent impediments that will prevent App St from being a ranked team with any kind of regularity.

lizrdgizrd
January 19th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I didn't say App's ceiling was "all that bad." Not at all. But the chance of reaching that maximum potential is pretty low, as with any endeavor, and it's possible the major conferences have more of an advantage now than they used to (back when ECU was really good).

To properly analyze the situation, you can't just consider the absolute best outcome, but all the possible outcomes. On the balance App St is still a long ways from really being BCS-ready, and there are a number of permanent impediments that will prevent App St from being a ranked team with any kind of regularity.
What do you see as "permanent impediments" for App St?

NoSpinZone
January 19th, 2007, 01:38 PM

If a glorified junior college in Idaho can assemble a team good enough to beat Oklahoma in a major bowl, anyone can with the right people in place.

youwouldno
January 19th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Just because something can happen, doesn't mean it will, or that it's likely.

App St's #1 problem is that North Carolina is saturated with football programs. UNC, NC St, Wake, and Duke are all ACC. Then there is ECU and a huge number of FCS programs. Look at who generally succeeds at the FBS level... Florida, Texas, SoCal, Ohio St... it's not by accident. Talent-rich states are the best ground to build a FBS program on. North Carolina has solid HS talent but the state is saturated with programs and programs outside NC recruit in the state of course.

The #2 problem is that there is nowhere to go conference-wise. The WAC (Boise) is not a horrible conference... similar to C-USA (smaller obviously) and much better than the Sun Belt. The problem for App St is that moving to the FBS via the Sun Belt introduces another major step before App could make any noise-- somehow getting into C-USA. If and when that could happen is totally unpredictable. A long-term presence in the Sun Belt could devastate App's chances of doing anything at the FBS level.

There are other problems, #3 probably would be the lack of a media market, but the first two are problematic enough. Rationally, I think the best App St can do is wait... forcing the issue, a la Troy, would be a very bad decision.

asufan87
January 19th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Rationally, I think the best App St can do is wait... forcing the issue, a la Troy, would be a very bad decision.

Which is exactly what App is doing. No one in an official capacity has ever publicly said App is going anywhere. Not sure why this topic receives so much debate.

NoSpinZone
January 19th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Just because something can happen, doesn't mean it will, or that it's likely.

App St's #1 problem is that North Carolina is saturated with football programs. UNC, NC St, Wake, and Duke are all ACC. Then there is ECU and a huge number of FCS programs. Look at who generally succeeds at the FBS level... Florida, Texas, SoCal, Ohio St... it's not by accident. Talent-rich states are the best ground to build a FBS program on. North Carolina has solid HS talent but the state is saturated with programs and programs outside NC recruit in the state of course.

The #2 problem is that there is nowhere to go conference-wise. The WAC (Boise) is not a horrible conference... similar to C-USA (smaller obviously) and much better than the Sun Belt. The problem for App St is that moving to the FBS via the Sun Belt introduces another major step before App could make any noise-- somehow getting into C-USA. If and when that could happen is totally unpredictable. A long-term presence in the Sun Belt could devastate App's chances of doing anything at the FBS level.

There are other problems, #3 probably would be the lack of a media market, but the first two are problematic enough. Rationally, I think the best App St can do is wait... forcing the issue, a la Troy, would be a very bad decision.

I don't think that is a good excuse. If a team in Idaho can find players App St should be able to in the #8 best talent producing state and situated close to several other states in the nation in the southeast. Similar moutain schools like Marshall and WV have very little talent in their state and find a way. If they move to FBS then it will not matter how many FCS are in NC because they will be ahead of those teams in the pecking order.

NC 5 teams... 8.5 million people
LA 5 teams....4.5 million people
AL 4 teams...4.5 million people

I don't think it's all that saturated when you consider Duke and Wake recruit mostly nationally because of academics and UNC and NCSU aren't football powers that are impossible to beat out on a recruit. The problem is outsiders coming into the state. Of the top 50 prospects in NC.

NC State 10
East Carolina 7
North Carolina 6
Wake Forest 4
Duke 2
Undecided 3
Out of state 18

http://recruiting.scout.com/3/2007_North_Carolina.html

The NC schools just need to do a better job of keeping the talent at home.

SO ILLmatic
January 20th, 2007, 10:59 AM
why couldnt App State play as an Independent in the BS instead of settling with the Sun Belt?

Appstate29
January 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM
why couldnt App State play as an Independent in the BS instead of settling with the Sun Belt?

We could and that has been discussed, but in today's football world conference affiliation is so vital to success (exception Notre Dame but they are certainly a special case). I don't see the Sunbelt as any different than the FCS and would never support a move there.

thmst30
January 21st, 2007, 02:57 AM
The only way I could support a move to FBS is if we got an invite to Conference USA. That would be our best chance of quickly garnering some attention and better recruits. I wouldn't want to have to go to the Sun Belt and work our way up some more, because it may not happen and then we could get stuck there and always be a below average FCS team.

PaladinFan
January 21st, 2007, 02:08 PM
I really don't think it says much for FCS football when our best team got beat by a 3-9 NCSU team. Heck, even UNC beat the Wolfpack.

What is this allure about I-A football anyway? I think part of it is the stigma of playing in the South, where unless you draw 80k plus to a game, you aren't real football.

Do you folks in Montana have that problem? Do people turn down their nose at you when you say you follow FCS football?

AppGuy04
January 21st, 2007, 02:18 PM
I really don't think it says much for FCS football when our best team got beat by a 3-9 NCSU team. Heck, even UNC beat the Wolfpack.

What is this allure about I-A football anyway? I think part of it is the stigma of playing in the South, where unless you draw 80k plus to a game, you aren't real football.

Do you folks in Montana have that problem? Do people turn down their nose at you when you say you follow FCS football?

and UNC beat you, whats your point?

BrevardMountaineer03
January 21st, 2007, 06:15 PM

It also wasn't our best ASU team...No offense to Trey Elder, but our starting QB didn't start that game...If we played that game toward the end of the season with Edwards starting, it would be a different story...maybe not an ASU win, but our offense would have performed better.

ASU Kep
January 22nd, 2007, 01:39 AM
We would've beaten NCSU, perhaps convincingly, at the end of the season. ASU has a history lately of starting off slow and then peaking at just the right times. All I gotta say is that if we win another NC, I couldn't care less about our first FBS game of the season.