PDA

View Full Version : Names have been changed to protect the Keydets

TexasTerror
January 13th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Looks like one of our FCS fellas have pushed the Roanoke Times to catch up with the times and begin naming the two Div I subdivisions by the appropriate names...props to them!
--------------
Names have been changed to protect the Keydets

At least one Roanoke Times reader has complained about continued reference to the college football programs in Division I-A and Division I-AA.

Since Massachusetts and Appalachian State met Dec. 15 for the championship of the division formerly known as I-AA, those designations no longer have existed.

There is a Football Championship Subdivision for the teams that adhere to a 63-scholarship limit and the Football Bowl Subdivision for the schools that have an 85-scholarship limit.

"It's a marketing thing now," said Donnie White, the athletic director at VMI, the only former Division I-AA program in the Roanoke Times circulation area. "I've asked our coaches to be familiar with the terminology."

The proposal was made by Division I-AA athletic directors, who didn't limit their lobbying effort to the NCAA. They also had to get their Division I-A counterparts to buy into it.

"The problem was, most of the athletic directors felt the rest of their athletic programs, and not just football, were being labeled as Division I-AA," White said. "The designation was being used against them in recruiting for other sports."

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/wb/wb/xp-99601

redbirdtim
January 14th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Someone should get on Mark Schlabach of ESPN.com. He not only refers to the FCS as I-AA but also still considers WKU a I-AA school.