PDA

View Full Version : Regents approve expansion

Grizzaholic
January 13th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Regents subcommittee approves UM stadium expansion project

By BILL SCHWANKE of Missoulian.com

A subcommittee of the Montana Board of Regents - during a Friday conference call - decided to recommend to the full board next week that the University of Montana be allowed to go forward with an estimated $5 million project to expand Washington-Grizzly Stadium by 2,000 seats.

Subcommittee members Mark Semmens of Great Falls, Stephen Barrett of Bozeman and Clay Christian of Missoula were joined on the call by UM President George Dennison, Vice President Bob Duringer and Associate Vice President Rosi Keller from UM’s office of administration and finance, higher education commissioner Sheila Stearns and associate commissioner for fiscal affairs Mick Robinson, and UM student body president Andrea Helling.

The east-side expansion project would provide an additional 750 seats for UM students and 1,250 for the general public. Students currently have access to 3,000 seats plus 300 guest passes.

The university originally had proposed expanding by 4,000 seats. Dennison said the project was scaled back for three reasons, two of them suggested by UM athletic director Jim O’Day.

O’Day had expressed concerns that the university might build more seats than it could sell. He also recommended that the project include 500 so-called club seats, in part to accommodate longtime fans who have decided not to renew leases on stadium suites and will need other seating arrangements.

The third reason, Dennison said, was tied to how much UM students were willing to contribute through a proposed five-year addition to their athletic fee.

Negotiations with student government started late last year using the 4,000-seat proposal that would have required an additional $48 per semester added to the student athletic fee. Student representatives finally agreed to pay an additional $10 per semester for an additional 750 seats.

The student senate voted 19-2 to approve the idea, a margin Helling called “nearly unheard of” in terms of approving additional fees. The $4 per ticket charge students now pay in addition to the fee will be eliminated. It had been created to help pay down the $1 million shortfall UM athletics faced a few years back.

The proposed addition will stretch between the 35-yard lines, giving UM the ability to add on more easily in the future. Duringer said the club seats, which will be enclosed and come with additional amenities, will sell for between $1,000 and $1,250 a year compared to the 2006 season ticket price of $180 per seat.

Duringer also said the addition will be built with structural steel rather than the precast concrete used in the north end zone addition. He said that, also, would make adding on easier in the future.

Plans also call for widening the east concourse and adding additional concession and restroom facilities to accommodate more fans on that side.

Duringer said he believes future ticket revenue income from the new project, coupled with revenue from the north end zone - once it’s paid off - will help athletics become more self sustaining. That prediction drew a response of “famous last words” from Stearns.

Keller reported that the north end zone project will be paid off 1 1/2 years ahead of schedule, in fiscal year 2008.

Semmens questioned university officials about their confidence in being able to sell the new seats and the possible impact the club seating might have on selling the current stadium suites.

Duringer referred back to the north end zone project, saying the additional seats were nearly sold out before construction even started.

He also said the university rented a lift that would allow them to see what the sight lines would be from the proposed addition and the results were impressive.

“These’ll be the best seats in the stadium,” Duringer said Friday. “Between the quality of the seats, the demand we’ve had so far and the experience we had with the north end zone … within a year we will sell these seats out.”

As for the impact on suites, Dennison said the university currently has more people wanting them than can be accommodated.

Semmens noted that the financing plan contains no mention of in-kind or donated assistance for the project. Dennison said the university wants to use ticket and student revenue to finance the east-side addition and to allow donated funds and services to be used on future projects.

If the full board gives the go-ahead Duringer said structural engineers and architects will begin work on final designs. Plans call for the new seats to be completed before the 2008 season.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

This is all fine and dandy but for 7 million we could have built 4000, but we seem to be ass backwards and are going to spend 5 million on 2000.

TexasTerror
January 13th, 2007, 10:04 AM
That SGA really stepped it up in terms of giving support to athletics. It really is unheard of for that kind of result to occur...

BigApp
January 13th, 2007, 11:05 AM
where's the obligatory pic of WaGriz?? :D :D :D

NoCoDanny
January 13th, 2007, 12:28 PM
That SGA really stepped it up in terms of giving support to athletics. It really is unheard of for that kind of result to occur...

They stepped up at a $10.00 per semester fee increase but stepped down on the proposed $48.00 fee increase.

elkmcc
January 13th, 2007, 12:37 PM
This is all fine and dandy but for 7 million we could have built 4000, but we seem to be ass backwards and are going to spend 5 million on 2000.

This sounds like typical Bureaucratic logic to me. Why build something when you can build half of it for nearly the same price?:confused:

MplsBison
January 13th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I think there should be a 20k average attendance maximum for FCS.

The same way they have a 15k minimum for FBS.

If you're averaging more than 20k at your home stadium, you're outta here.

Bye bye Delaware and Montana.

AZGrizFan
January 13th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Go away. You make DaveK look like a fricking genius. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

BigApp
January 13th, 2007, 02:25 PM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

GRZZ
January 13th, 2007, 02:30 PM
They stepped up at a $10.00 per semester fee increase but stepped down on the proposed $48.00 fee increase.

There is a big difference between $10.00 & $48.00 and the students get less seats in with the smaller fees - as it should be.

jmuroller
January 13th, 2007, 02:38 PM
If I'm reading this right these seats are not just regular seats but are club seats that will be highly expensive. This should bring in additional revenue for future projects. Sounds like a winner to me.

Cal Poly Mustang
January 13th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Why should 20K attendance boot a team out of FCS? Having 20K fans at home doesn't make a team invincible.

-- Go Mustangs!

dakotadan
January 13th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Are there any renderings of what the expansion will look like?

NDSUFREAK
January 13th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Are there any renderings of what the expansion will look like?

5 hrs 6 mins without a pic of Wa Griz in this thread. They would put the current pic now 10 times, 1 rendering pic, and then 10 more pics of the current Wa Griz just to get it through to people on what the stadium looks like. ;)

MR. CHICKEN
January 13th, 2007, 03:10 PM
AH'D UH RATHERAH...SHOWED YA'LL DELAWARE STADIUM.......:rotateh:....AWK!

IT'S DUH SAME DIFFERENCE....BUT...WHIFF-OUT DUH BEAR......xlolx...BRAWK!

Grizzle G
January 13th, 2007, 03:11 PM
5 hrs 6 mins without a pic of Wa Griz in this thread. They would put the current pic now 10 times, 1 rendering pic, and then 10 more pics of the current Wa Griz just to get it through to people on what the stadium looks like. ;)

I want to see a pic of that pathetic dome.

NDSUFREAK
January 13th, 2007, 03:11 PM
AH'D UH RATHERAH...SHOWED YA'LL DELAWARE STADIUM.......:rotateh:....AWK!

YAY!!!! xlolx

NDSUFREAK
January 13th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I want to see a pic of that pathetic dome.

Well if you want to see it then you have to come here first.

gatadotcom
January 13th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Here's one rendering of how the Griz's stadium will look like.

http://www.gata.com/gataimages/WaGriz.jpg

Sir William
January 13th, 2007, 03:32 PM

That is hilarious!!:lmao:

NDSUFREAK
January 13th, 2007, 03:46 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

gatadotcom
January 13th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Oops. So sorry. I apologize. Please forgive me.

I forgot to include the new concessions stands into the rendering of the new University of Montana Stadium. Here is a finished and complete rendering.

http://www.gata.com/gataimages/WaGriz2.jpg

Ronbo
January 13th, 2007, 05:08 PM
If I'm reading this right these seats are not just regular seats but are club seats that will be highly expensive. This should bring in additional revenue for future projects. Sounds like a winner to me.

750 seats are student. Revenue from the student fees.

500 seats in the club area. I am hearing about $1000 to $1250 a season per seat.

375 seats will be Gold and Silver GSA seatback. They go for about $380 to $500 per seat per season.

375 seats will be regular season ticket and general admission. They are $180 a year.

So not even counting students this expansion should generate about $800,000 a year in additional revenue.

AZGrizFan
January 13th, 2007, 05:11 PM
750 seats are student. Revenue from the student fees.

500 seats in the club area. I am hearing about $1000 to $1250 a season per seat.

375 seats will be Gold and Silver GSA seatback. They go for about $380 to $500 per seat per season.

375 seats will be regular season ticket and general admission. They are $180 a year.

So not even counting students this expansion should generate about $800,000 a year in additional revenue.

......assuming they stop scheduling Fort Lewis. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Griz Grunt
January 13th, 2007, 05:41 PM

I forgot to include the new concessions stands into the rendering of the new University of Montana Stadium. Here is a finished and complete rendering.

Georgian architecture may surfice back east, but in the west we prefer...

http://people.montana.com/~rkdl/Griz-east.gif

NDSUFREAK
January 13th, 2007, 08:16 PM

hmmmm, those kegs mean less capacity....

Peems
January 13th, 2007, 08:33 PM
hmmmm, those kegs mean less capacity....

but happier fans! though everybody knows alcohol is not sold in wa/griz.

gatadotcom
January 13th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Georgian architecture may surfice back east, but in the west we prefer...

Grunt -

I truly look forward to the future when I can spend a great weekend in Missoula, watching my Eagles take on your Griz from seats in the new upper deck at Washington-Grizzly Stadium! It is a game that has been long overdue.

I hope it is then followed by a rematch in the cozy confines of Allen E. Paulson Stadium in the gnat capitol of the world, Statesboro, Georgia. Both of these games would be contests we'd discuss for years.

TheBisonator
January 14th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Is this kind of what Montana is going at??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/SmileyBoy/Wa-GrizExpansion.jpg

Not a big expansion, if you ask me...

Griz Grunt
January 14th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Grunt -

I truly look forward to the future when I can spend a great weekend in Missoula, watching my Eagles take on your Griz from seats in the new upper deck at Washington-Grizzly Stadium! It is a game that has been long overdue.

I hope it is then followed by a rematch in the cozy confines of Allen E. Paulson Stadium in the gnat capitol of the world, Statesboro, Georgia. Both of these games would be contests we'd discuss for years.

GATA, the mere mention of those games generates a sense of anticipation and brings a smile to many a fan's face :hurray: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif:hurray: . Hopefully these matchups can occur sooner than later. To help things along send an email to each of the following:

GSU Athletic Director, Sam Baker: [email protected]

UM Athletic Director, Jim O'Day: o'[email protected]

BisBison
January 14th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Grunt -

If you are thinking about a home and home with a Montana school, I suggest you get your home game 1st or it'll never happen. They both hate to travel and will duck out of their return engagement obligation.:nono: :nono:

MplsBison
January 14th, 2007, 01:29 PM
If a school must average 15k fans per game in order to be in the FBS, I see no reason why the FCS can't kick out teams who average more than 20k. Kick them up to the division they belong in.

BisBison
January 14th, 2007, 01:34 PM
If a school must average 15k fans per game in order to be in the FBS, I see no reason why the FCS can't kick out teams who average more than 20k. Kick them up to the division they belong in.

I must respectfully disagree. Why loose the strongest teams in the FCS? We need to concentrate on bringing the rest of the teams to that level. If teams can't compete let them drop down to D-II.

MplsBison
January 14th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I'd agree with an average attendance minimum for FCS too.

But there is precedent for kicking teams up to a higher level.

The NCAA decided years ago that teams with DI athletic departments were not allowed to have DIII football teams. Among others, the U of Dayton was forced to go DI in football.

GRZZ
January 14th, 2007, 02:50 PM
If you are thinking about a home and home with a Montana school, I suggest you get your home game 1st or it'll never happen. They both hate to travel and will duck out of their return engagement obligation.:nono: :nono:

Georgia Southern would not be backed out on by our AD in my opinion because most all of our fans want that series and would be making the trip. If that happened to get scheduled, it would stick. :twocents:

AZGrizFan
January 14th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Using your logic, we ought to kick Michigan, Ohio State, and USC all up to the pros, since they average WAY more fans than ANY pro team.

As I said earlier, you make DaveK look like a genius, and your logic defies explanation.

Lets punish those successful programs because the rest can't or won't develop that kind of fan support. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

BisBison
January 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Georgia Southern would not be backed out on by our AD in my opinion because most all of our fans want that series and would be making the trip. If that happened to get scheduled, it would stick. :twocents:

yeah, maybe:eyebrow: still I'd believe that when it happens. Your history is not to travel to FCS games you think you have a chance of losing, just ask Cal Poly or South Dakota State. It's called credibility sir, and you and your little friends in Bozeman don't have any right now. Sorry just my :twocents:

BisBison
January 14th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Using your logic, we ought to kick Michigan, Ohio State, and USC all up to the pros, since they average WAY more fans than ANY pro team.

As I said earlier, you make DaveK look like a genius, and your logic defies explanation.

Lets punish those successful programs because the rest can't or won't develop that kind of fan support. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Come on, we can both disagree with MplsBison, but DaveK a genius http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/smilies/retard.gif I hardly think so.xidiotx xidiotx

Ronbo
January 14th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Here is what should be done!

http://www.go-synthetic.com/Griz-east2.gif

GRZZ
January 14th, 2007, 05:38 PM
yeah, maybe:eyebrow: still I'd believe that when it happens. Your history is not to travel to FCS games you think you have a chance of losing, just ask Cal Poly or South Dakota State. It's called credibility sir, and you and your little friends in Bozeman don't have any right now. Sorry just my :twocents:

Montana's history is alot longer than 3 years. Hopefully the AD gets things sorted out, but four years does not a program make.

ThreadStopper
January 14th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I must respectfully disagree. Why loose the strongest teams in the FCS? We need to concentrate on bringing the rest of the teams to that level. If teams can't compete let them drop down to D-II.

Wouldn't be nice to draw a big crowd for a home game with a premire FCS program? But Montana is so comfortable raking in the cash playing at home that it makes moving up to "that level" next to impossible.

th0m
January 14th, 2007, 07:42 PM

That would look great, but wouldn't that be just a tad more than 2k seats? xlolx

Seriously though, is there any solid info as to what the expansion is going to look like? I'm always fascinated by stadium expansion.

EDIT: Never mind, the main article said it would be steel structure between the 35 yard lines...

GRZZ
January 14th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Wouldn't be nice to draw a big crowd for a home game with a premire FCS program? But Montana is so comfortable raking in the cash playing at home that it makes moving up to "that level" next to impossible.

So Montana is bad for wanting home games, but Cal Poly isn't?

I know what you are saying, but it is not Montana's responsibility to hold up the division by traveling to other sites. It is good to do home and homes, but a university's responsibility is to themselves first. That sounds arrogant, it is not meant to be. I am just saying that is not a valid argument. Again I will state that Montana shouldn't back out of home and homes but some people are really starting to pile on with unrealistic complaints.

UNHcats
January 14th, 2007, 09:04 PM
thats pretty sweet for UM but whens unh getting a new stadium!!!!!!

Griz Grunt
January 14th, 2007, 09:35 PM
That would look great, but wouldn't that be just a tad more than 2k seats? xlolx

No, not when using NCAA attendance equations. :nod:

Seriously though, is there any solid info as to what the expansion is going to look like? I'm always fascinated by stadium expansion.

Probably, but no one I know is privy to Griz mgnt info/specifics. You know as much about the proposed expansion as does Griz Nation

...EDIT: Never mind, the main article said it would be steel structure between the 35 yard lines...

elkmcc
January 14th, 2007, 10:20 PM

You are proof that No. Dakota jokes are told for a reason. Lets take the programs that bring credibility and $$ to the division and "kick" them out. Youbetcha! Brilliant.

BisBison
January 14th, 2007, 10:37 PM
You are proof that No. Dakota jokes are told for a reason. Lets take the programs that bring credibility and $$ to the division and "kick" them out. Youbetcha! Brilliant.

Hey, let's not get carried away. :nono: I've already called him on that ill-conceived idea. And last I checked Minneapolis is in Minnesota anyway.

EKU05
January 14th, 2007, 10:40 PM

Why in God's name would you want to kick the best programs out of the division. Do you have some kind of FCS death wish? The more programs that leave, the more the perception of us being "small time" is fed.

elkmcc
January 14th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Hey, let's not get carried away. :nono: I've already called him on that ill-conceived idea. And last I checked Minneapolis is in Minnesota anyway.

You have to admit this guy makes some pretty assinine statements. This is just one example. This is his MO and has been business as usual for him over at egriz. Sorry, no personal jab at you or other informed Bison intended.

PS: Personally I am beginning to wonder if being forced to move up might be all that bad. (It might be the only way the UM administration will let it happen) It seems more and more that Montana is not fitting the I-AA/FCS mold any longer. I hate to admit it because I like I-AA/FCS but I am afraid it is true. FCS opponents can't afford (to lure) Montana and Montana can't afford (to play) FCS/I-AA OOC opponents. FCS media members are envious and jealous of Montana to the extent that they will ignore Montana in spite of the fact that the Griz bring credibility and profitibility to the division. I'm thinking the pond is getting too small for the big fish.

lizrdgizrd
January 15th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I'd agree with an average attendance minimum for FCS too.

The NCAA decided years ago that teams with DI athletic departments were not allowed to have DIII football teams. Among others, the U of Dayton was forced to go DI in football.
We're already DI.

bluehenbillk
January 15th, 2007, 09:58 AM
In other news: Delaware continues to stand still.

NoSpinZone
January 15th, 2007, 10:11 AM

That would help make the stadium more balanced. It's strange having the endzone seating higher than the 50 yard lines. I still haven't figured out the corner upper deck thing.

Ronbo
January 15th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Well the way they did the end zone was based on future expansion. You see how a deck can tie in?

MplsBison
January 15th, 2007, 10:58 AM
This is his MO and has been business as usual for him over at egriz.

I've never posted at egriz.

89Hen
January 15th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Not for attendance figures. :cool:

nevadagriz
January 15th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Interesting a post about stadium expansion that gets Hijacked by Bison fans whining about the griz and their buyout? When will you ndsu people get over it? Most griz already agree with ya, but know we can't do much about it!

Ronbo
January 15th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Montana didn't buy out NDSU. We played them in a money game. We don't schedule DII for home and home. They got probably $75,000 to come play at Montana in 2003.

BisonBacker
January 15th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Go away. You make DaveK look like a fricking genius. xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx
That is no easy feat either

spelunker64
January 15th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Montana didn't buy out NDSU. We played them in a money game. We don't schedule DII for home and home. They got probably $75,000 to come play at Montana in 2003.

Yep, and it was Montana State that did the buyout for next year. $10,000 is too low of a price to set, our AD's fault. No complaining from this Bison fan. :twocents:

Tillou
January 15th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Well, at least your school has the fan support to be able to talk about expanding the stadium. I wish we had at least ONE game a year was sold out for us.