View Full Version : ARMY transfer to APP

GreatAppSt
July 12th, 2005, 03:16 PM
July 09, 2005

Laws bolts Army for Appalachian State

By Justin Rodriguez
Times Herald-Record
[email protected]

Quarterback Chase Laws is the second high-profile Army football player to leave the team in five months because of his unwillingness to serve a five-year military commitment after graduation.
Army coach Bobby Ross can live with that. But Ross is unhappy with the way Laws handled the matter.
"I'm a little upset because this was going on for a while," Ross said of Laws, slated to be second on the depth chart behind senior Zac Dahman when Army opens practice on Aug. 5. "(Laws) had been talking to other schools. If we would have known this going into the spring, we could have gotten (David) Pevoto more reps (at quarterback). That would have helped him."
Ross said that Laws was granted his release from West Point last month and confirmed that he departed "because he felt reluctant to go into the Army."
Laws did not return several phone calls seeking comment. His mother, Wanda, said last night that her son is transferring to Division I-AA Appalachian State in Boone, N.C.
Because Appalachian State is a I-AA school, Laws doesn't have to sit out a year, but could opt to be red-shirted. Appalachian State returns one of the best I-AA quarterbacks in the nation – senior Richie Williams, who passed for 3,109 yards and 24 touchdowns last season. Laws would have been a junior at West Point this fall. Cadets who attend their first class as a junior and leave prematurely generally must return tuition – about $200,000 – or serve active duty. If cadets leave before their junior year, they have no obligation to the Army.
The departure of Laws leaves Pevoto, a highly regarded sophomore, No. 2 behind Dahman, followed by senior Connor Crehan. Laws gave Dahman a run for his job during the spring and intrigued many Army fans because of his ability to run the option. Laws outplayed Dahman during the Black/Gold spring game, but Ross said he often was inconsistent.
Like Laws, standout fullback Tielor Robinson left the Academy after completing the spring semester, saying the military lifestyle wasn't for him. Robinson, who would have been a junior this year, is transferring to Duke.
"I'm disappointed because you come here and get two years free education," Ross said. "In Robinson's case three, because he went to the prep school. I know they aren't breaking any rules, but I don't like it at all. Things happen.

Josh
July 12th, 2005, 04:03 PM
This kid is leaving I-A to be a 3rd string QB in I-AA??? He will play behind Richie and Trey. If I were him I would have gone to Elon or somewhere he can start unless he is going to play defensive back.

eagleskins
July 12th, 2005, 04:55 PM
This kid is leaving I-A to be a 3rd string QB in I-AA??? He will play behind Richie and Trey. If I were him I would have gone to Elon or somewhere he can start unless he is going to play defensive back.

If he couldn't get on the field at Army, there is no way I would take him.

asufan87
July 12th, 2005, 05:12 PM
I would be surprised if the young man is receiving any scholarship aid this year. I suspect he may be paying his own way.

Josh
July 12th, 2005, 05:15 PM
He has to be but why pay your own way to sit on the bench this year unless he is going to play corner or something?

Good luck to him but if I was him I would have gone to VMI, Elon, etc where he could start and make an impact.

Saint3333
July 12th, 2005, 06:53 PM
ASU is loaded with QBs and WRs, but could use a couple DLs and another RB. Maybe the new guy can help the running game as he was an option QB and not a passer.

nlwwln
July 12th, 2005, 07:08 PM
you cant blame a guy for having a change of heart, i wish him all the best of luck and hope he will be able to be a contributor at app state you cant ever count anyone out, you dont know the kind of heart this kid has, i for one would never count out any walk on, maybe he heard the mountains callin him to app state

Mr. C
July 12th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Ironically, App State has had transfers from Navy and Air Force in the last two or three years (QB turned WR Eric Elsener and WR Josh Baldwin). What's next a transfer from Coast Guard? Neither Elsener and Baldwin has made much of an impact, in fact Elsener almost single-handedly cost ASU the SoCon championship when the Mountaineers lost his start to Wofford in 2003. If the Mountaineers had started an injured Richie Williams, who knows what might have happened? He nearly led them to a comeback in a quarter and a half after Elsener had made a mess of things. Laws will be hard pressed to see anything more than mop-up action with THREE good QBs (including the freshman recruit) already at App State.

GreatAppSt
July 12th, 2005, 10:04 PM
He should be at RB/FB after K Richardson we're very thin here. ASU needs desperatly get some form of running game going again for more balance.

Eagle_77
July 12th, 2005, 11:41 PM
I keep hearing people say make him a running back. How big is this guy? Hight, weight, etc. Being that he was a QB i doubt he is in running back shape and would have to work this year on putting on some weight. If this is the route he is planing then he should redshirt so he would help the team more the next season.

veritech137
July 13th, 2005, 12:08 AM
he is about 6 foot 1 and 205 pounds or so. He is from Charlotte, NC.

GaSouthern
July 13th, 2005, 07:07 PM
he was an option QB before so I think a running back is totally realistic, thats what we are hoping our former QB does for Green Bay Packers remember?