PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology 5.0

FargoBison
November 6th, 2016, 08:46 AM
Still not sure how to digest the committee's rankings, I expect them to change though since they admit they didn't put much work into them. EWU And NDSU both had impressive wins, still not sure how they are not 1 and 2 if they win out. The 8 seed was very tough to figure out, thought about UND and Chattanooga. Starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel for last team in, if NC A&T lost to NCCU I think they would be in.

Samford at Illinois State vs 1. EWU
UND at Montana vs 8. SDSU
St Francis at YSU vs 5. JMU
San Diego at Cal Poly vs 4. SHSU

Wofford at Liberty vs 6. The Citadel
WIU at Chattanooga vs 3. JSU
Villanova at UCA vs 7. Richmond
UNH at Lehigh vs 2. NDSU

Autobids: EWU, Liberty, JMU, SDSU, St. Francis, Jacksonville State, Lehigh, San Diego, The Citadel, SHSU

At Large: NDSU,Chattanooga, Richmond, UND, Montana, YSU, Cal Poly, Villanova, WIU, Samford, UCA, UNH, Wofford, Illinois State

Bubble: Maine, NAU, NC A&T/NCCU, Tennessee St, Fordham, UNI, CSU, Sacred Heart

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2016, 08:49 AM
If this is a "snapshot in time" (to borrow our esteemed xrolleyesx playoff selection committee chair's term) I think CSU is still in the picture but it really doesn't make a difference because their game against Liberty next week is the de facto Big South title game and the loser is very likely out so it doesn't really affect the bubble.

FargoBison
November 6th, 2016, 08:51 AM
If this is a "snapshot in time" (to borrow our esteemed xrolleyesx playoff selection committee chair's term) I think CSU is still in the picture but it really doesn't make a difference because their game against Liberty next week is the de facto Big South title game and the loser is very likely out so it doesn't really affect the bubble.

Good catch, I have Liberty beating them but they should still probably be on the bubble line.

Engineer86
November 6th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Looks pretty solid. IF Lehigh gets to Fargo, that would be a tempting trip.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 08:53 AM
I bet a 9-2 UND team gets a seed over SDSU.

I still think if both EWU and NDSU are 10-1 that NDSU will be the #1 seed with the head to head.....although will it really matter with both getting 3 potential home games....

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2016, 08:56 AM

I still think if both EWU and NDSU are 10-1 that NDSU will be the #1 seed with the head to head.....although will it really matter with both getting 3 potential home games....
The interesting decision if UND is seeded will be does the committee pod SDSU with NDSU once again or do they pod SDSU with UND since that's still a bus trip and it's probably more "fair" considering SDSU would be one of the strongest unseeded teams and UND would likely be seeded much lower than NDSU. You'd also think the committee would be slightly sympathetic to the fact that in the last 4 years SDSU has been in the pod getting fed into NDSU 3 times.

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 08:56 AM

Yeah I don't seed SDSU getting a seed over UND or Chatty with how the committee has made up the top 10 right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FargoBison
November 6th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Like I said the 8 seed was a crapshoot. I felt like SDSU has played a much tougher schedule, had a much better win at NDSU and doesn't have a bad loss when comparing their resume to UND. I stressed more over Chattanooga since they don't have any bad losses but again they don't really have that great win.

ngineer
November 6th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Looks pretty solid. IF Lehigh gets to Fargo, that would be a tempting trip.

Would love to make that trip, as I missed out in 2011. With a full compliment of receivers I think we'd make it interesting.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 09:15 AM
The interesting decision if UND is seeded will be does the committee pod SDSU with NDSU once again or do they pod SDSU with UND since that's still a bus trip and it's probably more "fair" considering SDSU would be one of the strongest unseeded teams and UND would likely be seeded much lower than NDSU. You'd also think the committee would be slightly sympathetic to the fact that in the last 4 years SDSU has been in the pod getting fed into NDSU 3 times.

Although it would be nice to get another crack at SDSU but man, for both teams, it would be nice to see other teams in the playoffs.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I don't seed SDSU getting a seed over UND or Chatty with how the committee has made up the top 10 right now

Ya, who knows what they will do....xeyebrowx

BadlandsGrizFan
November 6th, 2016, 09:29 AM
aStill not sure how to digest the committee's rankings, I expect them to change though since they admit they didn't put much work into them. EWU And NDSU both had impressive wins, still not sure how they are not 1 and 2 if they win out. The 8 seed was very tough to figure out, thought about UND and Chattanooga. Starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel for last team in, if NC A&T lost to NCCU I think they would be in.

UNH at Lehigh vs 2. NDSU

Autobids: EWU, Liberty, JMU, SDSU, St. Francis, Jacksonville State, Lehigh, San Diego, The Citadel, SHSU

At Large: NDSU,Chattanooga, Richmond, UND, Montana, YSU, Cal Poly, Villanova, WIU, Samford, UCA, UNH, Wofford, Illinois State

I would love this scenario. Please be on the committee

NDSUtk
November 6th, 2016, 09:38 AM
I just don't think a 6-5 Missouri Valley team makes it. In this scenario, I'm referring to Illinois State. They are 5-5 overall, 3-4 in the Valley. Obviously best they can finish is 6-5 (4-4). I know they beat an FBS Big 10 opponent and SDSU but I'm still not sure there committee will take a 6-5 this year. I know it happened last year, so I could very well be wrong. Just my two cents.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

kalm
November 6th, 2016, 09:44 AM
I just don't think a 6-5 Missouri Valley team makes it. In this scenario, I'm referring to Illinois State. They are 5-5 overall, 3-4 in the Valley. Obviously best they can finish is 6-5 (4-4). I know they beat an FBS Big 10 opponent and SDSU but I'm still not sure there committee will take a 6-5 this year. I know it happened last year, so I could very well be wrong. Just my two cents.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

They would deserve to be in over a 7-4 Wofford and possibly a 7-4 UNH based on quality wins and SoS. Not that that's what WILL happen.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Would be somewhat shocked if UND doesn't get a home game in first round. Money/cost is on the committee's list.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 6th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Would be somewhat shocked if UND doesn't get a home game in first round. Money/cost is on the committee's list.

IMO, they will at 9-2.

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 10:07 AM

Likely 1st round games are Montana or SDSU, how can UND afford to outbid those two with their budget situation?

geaux_sioux
November 6th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Likely 1st round games are Montana or SDSU, how can UND afford to outbid those two with their budget situation?

Private funds. Not saying it will happen but it certainly could. No matter what I don't see how we could outbid Montana though.

birdsflyhigh
November 6th, 2016, 10:09 AM
As of now the ISU Redbirds have an #8 ranked SOS, and if they beat MSU, then it'll be 4 out of 5 wins to close the season. Of the 5 losses, 3 of them were by a combined total of 9 points.

Illinois State was still finding their way with consistency and keeping penalties down through the first part of the season, but the Redbirds have found their groove and definitely deserve their shot in the playoffs. The MVFC is an absolute meat grinder and is still far-and-away the #1 ranked conference in the Massey composite ratings.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 10:13 AM

If the bid pays for the flight why couldn't they send a random team from out east to the Midwest? To me it depends who all bids and who all makes it as at larges.

FargoBison
November 6th, 2016, 10:15 AM
If the bid pays for the flight why couldn't they send a random team from out east to the Midwest? To me it depends who all bids and who all makes it as at larges.

Bids are sealed until the field is set.

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2016, 10:17 AM
The committee chair from the last two years made it sound like they are obligated to create a bracket that maximizes bus trips as much as possible. They also "claim" that the bids aren't opened until the pairings have been set. Obviously there's some common sense that plays into that. Last year they paired Montana and SDSU together, which is a flight, even though I would guess both bid pretty well (even though SDSU would be hosting in Sioux Falls). Then they paired Western Illinois and Dayton together and I don't know if WIU bid at all because Dayton got that home game. Pairing Dayton with SDSU and WIU with Montana would've definitely made them more gate revenue but it would've added a flight (WIU was bus distance from Dayton).

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 10:20 AM
Right. The field doesn't tell them who has home games. The bids do. They open bids and start slotting at larges, no?

FargoBison
November 6th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Right. The field doesn't tell them who has home games. The bids do. They open bids and start slotting at larges, no?

The bracket is set and then the bids are opened and home games are decided.

BisonTru
November 6th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Back from the dead, Illinois State now holds wins over South Dakota St, Western Illinois, and Northwestern. They have a likely win vs. Missouri St left which will put them at 6-5 to finish the season. Very interesting bubble team that I think almost all of us had written off a few weeks ago.

Cocky
November 6th, 2016, 11:58 AM
And a loss to EIU.

ST_Lawson
November 6th, 2016, 12:40 PM
...Then they paired Western Illinois and Dayton together and I don't know if WIU bid at all because Dayton got that home game.

Just FYI, we did not bid. I don't really see us having any home playoff games for the next few years unless we improve enough to get a seed (not this year, but maybe in the next couple of years). We just don't have the money for it and with our lack of attendance, especially by students, we'd be losing money on pretty much any bid.

KPSUL
November 6th, 2016, 12:45 PM
aStill not sure how to digest the committee's rankings, I expect them to change though since they admit they didn't put much work into them. EWU And NDSU both had impressive wins, still not sure how they are not 1 and 2 if they win out. The 8 seed was very tough to figure out, thought about UND and Chattanooga. Starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel for last team in, if NC A&T lost to NCCU I think they would be in.

UNH at Lehigh vs 2. NDSU

If UNH is selected and plays Lehigh in a first round game, I'd think they would get a home game. UNH has outbid 3 consecutive 1st round Patriot League playoff opponents with 7000 less stadium seats.

I don't see Maine as a bubble team. They already have 4 losses, if they lose either of their final two games (SB & UNH) they will not get a bid at 6-5. If they win out, including a final game win over UNH, they will almost certainly end up getting the 4th and final playoff slot coming out of the CAA.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Would love to make that trip, as I missed out in 2011. With a full compliment of receivers I think we'd make it interesting.

I would seriously consider getting a rental car and driving out! My one Lehigh friend would likely go. Be a great trip!! I've been there once, it's on my list to get back!

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 6th, 2016, 12:56 PM
If UNH is selected and plays Lehigh in a first round game, I'd think they would get a home game. UNH has outbid 3 consecutive 1st round Patriot League playoff opponents with 7000 less stadium seats.

I don't see Maine as a bubble team. They already have 4 losses, if they lose either of their final two games (SB & UNH) they will not get a bid at 6-5. If they win out, including a final game win over UNH, they will almost certainly end up getting the 4th and final playoff slot coming out of the CAA.

We'll see. According to Ngineer Lehigh put in a quality bid. Colgate and Lafayette are not good barometers imo. Colgate was outbid by Wagner in 2012 lol. In 2013 Lafayette was 3-6 the week bids are usually submitted. I'm not sure their administration knows they have a football team. Fordham hosted Sacred Heart in 2014 before traveling to Durham.

Rollbird5
November 6th, 2016, 01:01 PM
As of now the ISU Redbirds have an #8 ranked SOS, and if they beat MSU, then it'll be 4 out of 5 wins to close the season. Of the 5 losses, 3 of them were by a combined total of 9 points.

Illinois State was still finding their way with consistency and keeping penalties down through the first part of the season, but the Redbirds have found their groove and definitely deserve their shot in the playoffs. The MVFC is an absolute meat grinder and is still far-and-away the #1 ranked conference in the Massey composite ratings.

In the loss to South Dakota they admitted the refs basically screwed us over that game with 7(?) blown calls that went against us too.

RabidRabbit
November 6th, 2016, 01:29 PM
If SDSU, UND, and UCA win out, then the selection committee has some tough choices on the seeds.

A SDSU finishing as the MVFC autobid winner, would be tough to leave out, especially if NDSU loses one more. Even if SDSU shares the title, need to kick them to a seed, if nothing else, to not feed to NDSU in the 2nd round.

Likewise, a UND finish as a no loss Big Sky co-champ would be a tough team to pass up as a seed.

I see the Southland perfect team, whether SHSU or UCA as being seeded, and the other not seeded. The difficulty of most of that conference schedule is milk toast.

Richmond needed to be the 7-1 CAA winning the autobid from the CAA to be a seed due to Stony Brook FUBAR. They can only be a 6-2 multi-team co-champ this year. A multi-team CAA champ at 6-2 may not receive any seed. If one does, it would be the team with an FBS scalp, ie, Richmond.

Pretty sure that NDSU, EWU are locks for seeds due to P-5 FBS wins. The Citadel, SHSU, likewise are near locks if no FCS losses.

Chatty- Knock off Alabama, ya, get top seed. But we know that's as improbable as the Cubs winning a world series.

ElCid
November 6th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Chatty- Knock off Alabama, ya, get top seed. But we know that's as improbable as the Cubs winning a world series.

So you are saying there is a chance?xlolxxlolx

KPSUL
November 6th, 2016, 01:39 PM
We'll see. According to Ngineer Lehigh put in a quality bid. Colgate and Lafayette are not good barometers imo. Colgate was outbid by Wagner in 2012 lol. In 2013 Lafayette was 3-6 the week bids are usually submitted. I'm not sure their administration knows they have a football team. Fordham hosted Sacred Heart in 2014 before traveling to Durham. That's true, in 2014 UNH was seeded #1. How soon we forget! I'd expect that Lehigh, with a football tradition would pony up a lot more than other PL teams and Goodman Stadium can seat more than Wildcat. But I suspect UNH will make a solid effort to get a playoff game 1st year in the newly renovated stadium if the opportunity presents itself. Villanova will end up with a seed if they can beat JMU, so we'll take St Francis and you guys can go to Conway Arkansas.

RabidRabbit
November 6th, 2016, 01:45 PM
xdrunkyx
So you are saying there is a chance?xlolxxlolx

Any Given Saturday. Feed the whole Tide team some good raw oysters the night before, along with salmonella infected chicken (undercooked), maybe.xwhistlexxdizzyx

Much more likely xanim_chaixMocs

BigSouthFan
November 6th, 2016, 02:34 PM

UNH at Lehigh vs 2. NDSU

There's not a good chance for the SoCon to get 4 in is there? Wofford is about to play Chatt, if Wofford wins, is Chatt still in? I'm guessing that's the scenario you went with because a 7-4 Wofford team probably doesn't make the cut for an at-large considering they lost to any good team they played. Chatt probably still gets in at 8-3 with losses to Citadel, Wofford, Bama, and the win over Samford huh? Or a better chance.

Yes, this game in Lynchburg next weekend is win and you're in. Congratulations to Liberty for sealing up at least a tie for the Big South Championship! A tie would stink if they still miss the playoffs with a CSU loss. Should be a great game wish I could make it.

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 03:08 PM
In the loss to South Dakota they admitted the refs basically screwed us over that game with 7(?) blown calls that went against us too.

Then they would likely hold that against you for the SDSU game where the MVFC admitted to two blow calls that took two TDs off the board for SDSU as well xcoffeex

Rollbird5
November 6th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Then they would likely hold that against you for the SDSU game where the MVFC admitted to two blow calls that took two TDs off the board for SDSU as well xcoffeex

So we only won 38-35 instead of 38-21? That's fine with me

milleniumkat
November 6th, 2016, 04:08 PM

Didn't the NCAA make mention that the bidding process was changing or being less a factor? Or was that squashed. I thought it was discussed in the same meeting regarding lessening regionalization.

"You Can't run with #81!"

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 04:23 PM
So we only won 38-35 instead of 38-21? That's fine with me

Yeah cause the TD that was ruled as incomplete to tie the game immediately before the INT in the end zone wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome at all xeyerollx

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Didn't the NCAA make mention that the bidding process was changing or being less a factor? Or was that squashed. I thought it was discussed in the same meeting regarding lessening regionalization.

The whole meeting was a fraud to placate people that won't affect much, at least from the SDSU perspective. Nothing has changed the bidding process to my knowledge.

milleniumkat
November 6th, 2016, 04:45 PM
The whole meeting was a fraud to placate people that won't affect much, at least from the SDSU perspective. Nothing has changed the bidding process to my knowledge.

That would explain how the "hubbub" of the beginning of the meetings was followed by deafening silence following the meetings.

milleniumkat
November 6th, 2016, 04:47 PM
So can you clarify briefly, are the bids submitted prior to the beginning of the playoffs? Or is it done round by round? I've never gotten a consistent answer.

grizband
November 6th, 2016, 05:00 PM
So can you clarify briefly, are the bids submitted prior to the beginning of the playoffs? Or is it done round by round? I've never gotten a consistent answer.

Pretty sure all bids are submitted before the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

FargoBison
November 6th, 2016, 05:07 PM
NoBowls.com(This is purely as if the season ended today)....

http://nobowls.com/images/week10.png

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 05:10 PM
NoBowls.com

http://nobowls.com/images/week10.png

They really have Liberty and CSU in?

FargoBison
November 6th, 2016, 05:11 PM

Forget to add in my post that they do theirs as if the season ended today.

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 05:11 PM
Forget to add in my post that they do theirs as if the season ended today.

Doesn't make that better

Gangtackle11
November 6th, 2016, 05:39 PM
My take this week:

#1 NDSU v. WIU/Montana

#8 Central Arkansas v. St.Francis, Pa./Illinois State

#4 The Citadel v. Liberty/Samford

#5 SHSU v. Cal Poly/San Diego

#3 Jacksonville St. v. Villanova/UNH

#6 JMU v. Youngstown St./Lehigh

#7 Chattanooga v. Richmond/Wofford

#2 E.Washington v. SDSU/UND

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2016, 05:52 PM
My take this week:

#1 NDSU v. WIU/Montana

This is pretty much impossible. This would add one second round flight for sure and possibly two if Montana would win where there could be bus trips if you switch the unseeded matchups around here.

That led me to another frustrating realization that if both SDSU and UND are unseeded it's a virtual certainty that they'll be matched up against each other with the winner fed into NDSU. What great balance for the bracket to match up two of the strongest unseeded teams in the first round and then send the winner to one of the top 4 (should be top 2) seeds in the 2nd round xrolleyesx. (Yeah, yeah, I realize that's how the system works but it doesn't mean it doesn't suck)

dudeitsaid
November 6th, 2016, 06:06 PM

UNH at Lehigh vs 2. NDSU

Agree, this adds an element of oddity to the "brackatology" conversations. It almost needs to be a "This is how I would set the field," versus trying to figure out what the committee would do. Unless there is some level of revision to the top 10, I won't have much confidence in our ability to predict a different seeding.

RootinFerDukes
November 6th, 2016, 06:23 PM
A nice bracket but I will say, isn't it hard to not follow the seeding that was just released by the committee this week? It doesn't really matter if posters think team A should be higher than team B, team A wasn't higher than team B.

Cocky
November 6th, 2016, 07:39 PM
How does Stony Brook get left out with wins over ND and Richmond which most have in the playoffs? Of course they need to win enough games first but they are not the only team needed more wins.

ElCid
November 6th, 2016, 07:44 PM
How does Stony Brook get left out with wins over ND and Richmond which most have in the playoffs? Of course they need to win enough games first but they are not the only team needed more wins.

Maybe due to losses against Sacred Heart and W&M? And getting crushed by NH. The best they can be is 7-4. Too many better teams at 8-3.

FargoBison
November 6th, 2016, 07:47 PM
A nice bracket but I will say, isn't it hard to not follow the seeding that was just released by the committee this week? It doesn't really matter if posters think team A should be higher than team B, team A wasn't higher than team B.

I was ready to do that but then the committee chair admitted their rankings didn't involve really any kind of process or discussion and that things may very well change when they meet as a group in Indy. So now I don't know what to think, if the rankings stay consistent I may be more likely to stick to them but for now I'm just looking at them loosely.

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Can't speak for the OP but for me its some really bad losses that neutralize those good wins. Their loss to Sacred Heart is looking worse and worse by the week and losing to W&M isn't a good look a week after getting stomped by UNH. They got the benefit of the doubt from me until this week but they just have too many ugly losses (either due to opponent or margin).

FargoBison
November 6th, 2016, 08:16 PM
Yeah, Stony Brook is a mess right now and I felt like going into this week that W&M was their most winnable game. I think this week Maine will take them out of their misery.

Cocky
November 6th, 2016, 08:35 PM
But were listing ISUr, WIU, TSU and others with bad losses but not as good of wins? Every at large will have something bad against them in the end.
If they are not worthy then Richmond and ND have a bad loss.

F'N Hawks
November 6th, 2016, 08:37 PM
But were listing ISUr, WIU, TSU and others with bad losses but not as good of wins? Every at large will have something bad against them in the end.
If they are not worthy then Richmond and ND have a bad loss.

IIRC, a "bad loss" is losing at home to Idaho State. Or losing to Presbyterian, and so forth. Losing to a 5-7 win team from a major conference is not "bad". It's just a loss, IMO.

Thumper 76
November 6th, 2016, 08:46 PM
IIRC, a "bad loss" is losing at home to Idaho State. Or losing to Presbyterian, and so forth. Losing to a 5-7 win team from a major conference is not "bad". It's just a loss, IMO.

I think the context of the situation matters more. If we're talking about a team involved as a seed a bad loss more harshly judged to me.

FargoBison
November 6th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Richmond getting blown out to SB is a bad loss, UND losing by a few points on the road not as much.

I guess I could add SB back to the bubble, their game vs Maine is basically a bubble elimination game.

Cocky
November 6th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Not advocating for them but their resume looks at least similiar to several on the list. If they beat Maine and Albany I probably wont have to say anything for them. Their early wins look good and their late losses look bad.

This whole deal is hard because there are very few games against other conferences. MVC plays BS and a few others while the east coast teams play each other and southern teams play each other. Wish the top teams would play more teams from other parts of the USA to get more comparisons.

KPSUL
November 6th, 2016, 09:26 PM
My take this week:

#1 NDSU v. WIU/Montana

#8 Central Arkansas v. St.Francis, Pa./Illinois State

#4 The Citadel v. Liberty/Samford

#5 SHSU v. Cal Poly/San Diego

#3 Jacksonville St. v. Villanova/UNH

#6 JMU v. Youngstown St./Lehigh

#7 Chattanooga v. Richmond/Wofford

I don't see two teams from the Southland with seeds. The winner of the Central Ark. vs SHSU game will get the only one from the SL. I don't see two seeds out of the SoCon while the MVFC, Big Sky and CAA each get only one. Also if JMU beats Nova and Elon, finishing 8-0 in the CAA, they'll be seeded at least 4th, maybe higher depending how other top teams fare. If Nova wins in a real close one over JMU, we could possibly see two seeded CAA teams. I'm sure there are similar two seeded team scenarios for the Big Sky and MVFC.

ngineer
November 6th, 2016, 10:17 PM
Pretty sure all bids are submitted before the playoffs.

I've been told the bids have already been submitted.

Twentysix
November 6th, 2016, 10:39 PM
I've been told the bids have already been submitted.

I thought they were submitted next week.

RootinFerDukes
November 7th, 2016, 06:55 AM
I was ready to do that but then the committee chair admitted their rankings didn't involve really any kind of process or discussion and that things may very well change when they meet as a group in Indy. So now I don't know what to think, if the rankings stay consistent I may be more likely to stick to them but for now I'm just looking at them loosely.

Thanks. I had missed that news. Well if they aren't putting deep thought into it, I say, what's the point then? Why release anything?

kalm
November 7th, 2016, 08:13 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by F'N Hawks http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/buttons/viewpost-right.png

QUOTE=Thumper 76;2408340]I think the context of the situation matters more. If we're talking about a team involved as a seed a bad loss more harshly judged to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Both of these points are valid. This is the challenge when dealing with weak SoS's. Losses to Albany, SB, ISUr, South Dakota, Nicholls, EIU, etc are not bad losses. These are all teams that have proven they have the talent to rise up and compete with practically anyone. If you have 4 or 5 of those types on your schedule every year it's tough to go unscathed. Losses to those type of teams should be on par with 2-3 score wins over teams you should beat by 30+

nevadagriz
November 7th, 2016, 11:20 AM
Montana should do the right thing and not submit a bid! If they finish at 8-3 they are a playoff caliber team however they are not deserving of a home game! If UND does not get a buy in the first round send them there. Poly deserves to feast on sandiego not Montana.

dbackjon
November 7th, 2016, 11:34 AM
For NAU - it's real simple - win out , and at 7-4, with wins over UND and Montana, they are in.

Utgrizfan
November 7th, 2016, 11:57 AM
For NAU - it's real simple - win out , and at 7-4, with wins over UND and Montana, they are in.

I don't think it is as cut-and-dry as that, NAU will only have six wins against D1 competition and that could very well come back to bite them in the ass.

Bison56
November 7th, 2016, 11:58 AM

Its not really that simple.

F'N Hawks
November 7th, 2016, 11:59 AM

Would need to look at the other 7-4 resumes but with only 6 D1 counters you are in trouble, IMO.

dbackjon
November 7th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Yes, it really is that simple.

BadlandsGrizFan
November 7th, 2016, 01:36 PM

Its simple to realize y'all arent going to the playoffs this year.....quit scheduling D2 schools....thats simple

F'N Hawks
November 7th, 2016, 01:38 PM
The way I see it either Northern Iowa makes the playoffs (maybe, at 6-5) or SDSU gets a seed. Can't be both since play each other the last week of the year. If SDSU wins they get a seed, IMO.

If UNI wins there is a real chance we see a selection day battle between them and Illinois State for the coveted 6-5 at-large.

dbackjon
November 7th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Its simple to realize y'all arent going to the playoffs this year.....quit scheduling D2 schools....thats simple

So are you going to legislate teams travel to Flagstaff? We try to get FCS teams to come, they won't.

You get to buy wins over Mississippi Valley State, Bully for you!

F'N Hawks
November 7th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Is the OVC really only going to get one team?

Only one I saw who might get in is Tennessee State but their resume is poor. UT-Martin can only get to 7 wins (not beating Jax) and one of them is Bacone College or something. But their best win is over Eastern Illinois, who has five losses.

Bison56
November 7th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Is the OVC really only going to get one team?

Only one I saw who might get in is Tennessee State but their resume is poor. UT-Martin can only get to 7 wins (not beating Jax) and one of them is Bacone College or something. But their best win is over Eastern Illinois, who has five losses.

Its all they deserve.

F'N Hawks
November 7th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Its all they deserve.

But last year a quote that came out after selection day was that the "OVC deserved two teams - it is a two-team conference". So they let Eastern Illinois go get the hell kicked out of them in the first round.

hope your right.

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2016, 02:25 PM
But last year a quote that came out after selection day was that the "OVC deserved two teams - it is a two-team conference". So they let Eastern Illinois go get the hell kicked out of them in the first round.

hope your right.
Yeah, but IIRC their justification for including EIU was "no bad losses" (imagine that :)). This year they've got plenty of good losses and bad losses. Tennessee St has a bad loss @Murray St (even @EIU might look like a bad loss by season's end with the swoon they're in). The only shot the OVC has for a 2nd team is if UTM upsets JSU.

Cocky
November 7th, 2016, 02:31 PM

hope your right.

Or you could be the Big Sky and everyone go home after one game. This didnt make the selection committee look too bad from by passing ND.

You wont have to worry about the OVC having two this year unless we drop a bomb against UTM.

MontanaVandal
November 7th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Didn't the Griz do schedule D2 schools all the time, then complain about losing in Chattanooga?

citdog
November 7th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Yeah, but IIRC their justification for including EIU was "no bad losses" (imagine that :)). This year they've got plenty of good losses and bad losses. Tennessee St has a bad loss @Murray St (even @EIU might look like a bad loss by season's end with the swoon they're in). The only shot the OVC has for a 2nd team is if UTM upsets JSU.

Murray State is 4-2 in the OVC and might have the best Qb in that entire league. The Racers might be all that JSU can handle plus some this week.....

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Murray State is 4-2 in the OVC and might have the best Qb in that entire league. The Racers might be all that JSU can handle plus some this week.....
Meh... no idea on the circumstances but they lost to Missouri St and got hammered by SIU who are two bottom of the barrel teams with suspect defenses in the MVFC. They're probably playing better now but I kinda doubt they have the horses to put up points on JSU.

EDIT: Looks like Humphries didn't play against SIU so that's probably a big part of explaining that debacle of a game for them.

jacksfan29
November 7th, 2016, 02:53 PM

Just beat UND and then we can talk... xthumbsupx

dbackjon
November 7th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Just beat UND and then we can talk... xthumbsupx

Agreed. But that would be part of winning out :)

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Problem with that is Murray has no O-line, no run game, and hasn't seen anyone that sends the amount of pressure we do. Humphries will spend most of the afternoon on his back. We sacked Humphries 7 times last year and this defense is considerably better than last year's.

jacksfan29
November 7th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Agreed. But that would be part of winning out :)

I understand but I'm not sure you can win in Grand Forks. I really hope you do... it would make a lot of people very happy, I just don't see it happening.

Grizalltheway
November 7th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Didn't the Griz do schedule D2 schools all the time, then complain about losing in Chattanooga?

What do you mean complain about losing in Chattanooga?

dbackjon
November 7th, 2016, 03:59 PM
I understand but I'm not sure you can win in Grand Forks. I really hope you do... it would make a lot of people very happy, I just don't see it happening.

WE are used to playing indoors

It'll just be like a home game ;)

F'N Hawks
November 7th, 2016, 04:04 PM

Rah rah rah...gooooooooo team!!

xthumbsdownx

BadlandsGrizFan
November 7th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Im not disagreeing with you, just saying its not simple like you said....if it were simple to buy wins...like it is for Montana...everyone would do it.

So are you going to legislate teams travel to Flagstaff? We try to get FCS teams to come, they won't.

BadlandsGrizFan
November 7th, 2016, 04:26 PM
Ya i didnt get this either.....

What do you mean complain about losing in Chattanooga?

grizband
November 7th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Ya i didnt get this either.....
Think he meant title games...

Grizalltheway
November 7th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Think he meant title games...

I get that, but what does that have to do with us playing D-II teams some of those years?

grizband
November 7th, 2016, 05:46 PM
I get that, but what does that have to do with us playing D-II teams some of those years?
I have no idea...

Professor
November 7th, 2016, 05:56 PM
I don't understand why the NCAA makes teams bid. They should pick the home teams and subsidize the costs imo

beerkat
November 7th, 2016, 07:12 PM
I don't understand why the NCAA makes teams bid. They should pick the home teams and subsidize the costs imo

In a perfect world it would work that way but that would take away from the bar tab funds for the various committees when they meet.

ngineer
November 7th, 2016, 07:39 PM

What's the capacity of Cowell?? Goodman has 16,000 permanent seats and room for another 4,000 on the hill behind the south endzone. We got a home game against JMU in 2004.

ngineer
November 7th, 2016, 07:43 PM
I would seriously consider getting a rental car and driving out! My one Lehigh friend would likely go. Be a great trip!! I've been there once, it's on my list to get back!

If that happens there may be room on the plane carrying the team. The charter we took to Liberty had room for about 40 of us alums. That time of year I'd at least fly to MSP and rent a car.

KPSUL
November 7th, 2016, 08:12 PM
What's the capacity of Cowell?? Goodman has 16,000 permanent seats and room for another 4,000 on the hill behind the south endzone. We got a home game against JMU in 2004.

It's called Wildcat Stadium for now, but I think that's just a placeholder. Hard to say what the capacity of Wildcat actually is. I've seen numbers between 11,500 and 13K and some change. But they sell way more ticket than that to some games, although the SB game had an announced attendance of only 6500. Goodman has way more seats and that berm in the endzone is huge. UNH ticket prices have been raised up to a range of $25 - $50, but I think the NCAA sets prices at a lower level for playoff games so that wouldn't effect the amount of total revenue possible.

FCSFBFAN
November 7th, 2016, 08:58 PM

Mississppi Valley State is as close to a D2 as it gets.

NAU put themselves in tough spot scheduling a D2 and Arizona State. That's like throwing out two games that count. Every year they must go 7-2 to get their 7 wins which makes it tough.

The head to head wins over both Montana and UND would have to play in their favor.

ngineer
November 7th, 2016, 10:45 PM
It's called Wildcat Stadium for now, but I think that's just a placeholder. Hard to say what the capacity of Wildcat actually is. I've seen numbers between 11,500 and 13K and some change. But they sell way more ticket than that to some games, although the SB game had an announced attendance of only 6500. Goodman has way more seats and that berm in the endzone is huge. UNH ticket prices have been raised up to a range of $25 - $50, but I think the NCAA sets prices at a lower level for playoff games so that wouldn't effect the amount of total revenue possible.

Interesting term...never thought of it as a "berm". In these parts we refer to the gravel shoulder along a road as a berm. Physically, it's part of the natural bowl that the stadium was built around. A favorite location for alot of the students...and my granddaughters who are not impressed with my 50 yard line seats, but rather be in the end zone rolling down the hill. About 20 times during the Fordham game, and that was in just one half when my daughter decided to take them home before they got sick!

dbackjon
November 8th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Mississppi Valley State is as close to a D2 as it gets.

NAU put themselves in tough spot scheduling a D2 and Arizona State. That's like throwing out two games that count. Every year they must go 7-2 to get their 7 wins which makes it tough.

The head to head wins over both Montana and UND would have to play in their favor.

Problem for many western teams is that there are no other FCS teams in the area.

BadlandsGrizFan
November 8th, 2016, 03:24 PM
So you complain that Montana "buys" win like MVSU and St Francis.....than complain that you cant get other FCS schools like those two to come to Flagstaff....than you complain that theres no schools besides D2 or FBS in the west to play...and than repeat that cycle...every year when NAU misses the playoffs....

Its so clear that Montana has outgrown the BSC in every phase of running a program, save the product on the field..hahaha

Problem for many western teams is that there are no other FCS teams in the area.

Grizalltheway
November 8th, 2016, 05:35 PM
So you complain that Montana "buys" win like MVSU and St Francis.....than complain that you cant get other FCS schools like those two to come to Flagstaff....than you complain that theres no schools besides D2 or FBS in the west to play...and than repeat that cycle...every year when NAU misses the playoffs....

Its so clear that Montana has outgrown the BSC in every phase of running a program, save the product on the field..hahaha

Give it time...just look at the recruits Stitt has brought in already.

JSUFightingCocks
November 9th, 2016, 12:34 PM
At this point I believe that JSU should be ahead of NDSU. Granted we both have one loss, JSU lost to a P% conference LSU that gave BAMA a run for their money until late in the game. While NDSU might have beaten a down IOWA team, they did lose to SDSU and the game should not have been as close as it was from what I saw, and that loss was made to look even worse after SDSU's loss to ISUr. I'm new here and trying to put my foot in the door, just my opinion on this fact. xpeacex

Professor Chaos
November 9th, 2016, 12:46 PM
At this point I believe that JSU should be ahead of NDSU. Granted we both have one loss, JSU lost to a P% conference LSU that gave BAMA a run for their money until late in the game. While NDSU might have beaten a down IOWA team, they did lose to SDSU and the game should not have been as close as it was from what I saw, and that loss was made to look even worse after SDSU's loss to ISUr. I'm new here and trying to put my foot in the door, just my opinion on this fact. xpeacex
Welcome!

Not a bad first post but you're missing a very big part of the argument between the two teams and that's who each team's 8 wins are against. I'll grant you that JSU has a "better loss". However, if you look at it objectively you have to grant that NDSU has better wins than JSU... and it's not even close IMO. Both who you lost to and who you beat must be weighed. If you think JSU's better loss offsets NDSU's better wins I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Cocky
November 9th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Welcome!

Not a bad first post but you're missing a very big part of the argument between the two teams and that's who each team's 8 wins are against. I'll grant you that JSU has a "better loss". However, if you look at it objectively you have to grant that NDSU has better wins than JSU... and it's not even close IMO. Both who you lost to and who you beat must be weighed. If you think JSU's better loss offsets NDSU's better wins I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

The argument should be do you think team A is better than team B not which one has the better schedule, win or loss. Some will be easier to judge by their schedule but in the end the team the committee agrees is the best should be 1 and on down the line.

Professor Chaos
November 9th, 2016, 01:32 PM
The argument should be do you think team A is better than team B not which one has the better schedule, win or loss. Some will be easier to judge by their schedule but in the end the team the committee agrees is the best should be 1 and on down the line.
And that's how you prove who's better when you don't have head-to-head comparisons to look at. You look at who you beat and who you lost to and compare that to who other teams beat and who they lost to. It's not a new concept and it's used at every level where seeds/rankings are determined by a selection committee.

JSUSoutherner
November 9th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Why? Our offense is disgustingly inconsistent.

Anyone can lose to LSU. It's not really a mark in our favor.

KPSUL
November 9th, 2016, 07:24 PM
Interesting term...never thought of it as a "berm". In these parts we refer to the gravel shoulder along a road as a berm. Physically, it's part of the natural bowl that the stadium was built around. A favorite location for alot of the students...and my granddaughters who are not impressed with my 50 yard line seats, but rather be in the end zone rolling down the hill. About 20 times during the Fordham game, and that was in just one half when my daughter decided to take them home before they got sick!

OK I acquiesce, embankment or simply incline may have been more fitting. The berm is just the top of the structure. But it is not a hill either. I'll be willing to call it whatever you'd like after UNH beats Lehigh there during our next visit.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2016, 08:10 PM
OK I acquiesce, embankment or simply incline may have been more fitting. The berm is just the top of the structure. But it is not a hill either. I'll be willing to call it whatever you'd like after UNH beats Lehigh there during our next visit.

UNH's last visit didn't go so well. The time before that they escaped with their 9th life. If they meet it will likely be a coin-flip type game......

ngineer
November 9th, 2016, 10:14 PM
UNH's last visit didn't go so well. The time before that they escaped with their 9th life. If they meet it will likely be a coin-flip type game......

Yes, another 'rematch" with UNH would be a good game. Could also get one of the other CAA runnerups as well, but gotta take care of business on 11/19.

milleniumkat
November 10th, 2016, 07:31 AM

Wake up and embrace reality. LSU was a national espn joke of a program the weeks surrounding when you played them. The game was only close because Miles kept running a terrible QB out there. As soon as he switched to the backup, the game was never a contest. A few weeks later, Miles got canned for being terrible. LSU is light years ahead today of where they were when you played them. You guys got lucky playing them then and not now

kalm
November 10th, 2016, 08:06 AM
And that's how you prove who's better when you don't have head-to-head comparisons to look at. You look at who you beat and who you lost to and compare that to who other teams beat and who they lost to. It's not a new concept and it's used at every level where seeds/rankings are determined by a selection committee.

Yep.

Compare losses between JSU and NDSU and JSU's is a little better. Now compare wins and it's clear who should be seeded higher. It's even more noticeable with SHSU.

Lehigh'98
November 10th, 2016, 08:18 AM
I would be interested to see NDSU have to go on the road in the playoffs. It's absolutely amazing that they have not had to in their run. Astonishing.

Matt
November 10th, 2016, 08:22 AM
I REALLY don't wanna read through all of this, so if this has been asked just point me to it. What do people think about the prediction that Richmond will be seeded? I have a feeling we're more likely to have a first round home game and then travel (potentially to Harrisonburg). I know we didn't drop a lot after the JMU game, but we also don't have another game that will help us on the schedule. Also, W&M is not guaranteed W.

Lehigh'98
November 10th, 2016, 08:28 AM
I REALLY don't wanna read through all of this, so if this has been asked just point me to it. What do people think about the prediction that Richmond will be seeded? I have a feeling we're more likely to have a first round home game and then travel (potentially to Harrisonburg). I know we didn't drop a lot after the JMU game, but we also don't have another game that will help us on the schedule. Also, W&M is not guaranteed W.

If Nova wins out, I think they along with JMU will be seeded. Richmond will be left out to possibly play Lehigh in the first round.

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2016, 08:52 AM
If Nova wins out, I think they along with JMU will be seeded. Richmond will be left out to possibly play Lehigh in the first round.
Idk, Richmond has a dominating win over Nova. I'd have a hard time seeing Nova seeded over the Spatters if they both finish 9-2 (7-1). It'll be really tough to differentiate the CAA top 3 if Nova beats JMU. They may all 3 get seeded 6-8 in that scenario.

Libertine
November 10th, 2016, 08:56 AM

CSU cannot get in as an at-large. The Buccaneers are currently sitting at four D1 wins right now and would have to win out to get the necessary six. Of course, winning out would then give CSU the autobid making the at-large argument moot.

This must presume that CSU gets the autobid and a 7-4 Liberty team with a win over FBS-ish Coastal Carolina to end the season and losses to two FBS teams and two ranked FCS teams is getting an at-large.

Matt
November 10th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Idk, Richmond has a dominating win over Nova. I'd have a hard time seeing Nova seeded over the Spatters if they both finish 9-2 (7-1). It'll be really tough to differentiate the CAA top 3 if Nova beats JMU. They may all 3 get seeded 6-8 in that scenario.

We'd be 9-2 (6-2) bc of the goddamn SB game. I think you're right about Nova tho. We are going to be above them unless they beat JMU, which isn't happening.

Is the "Spatter" thing supposed to be offensive? Or is it just mocking how Richmond fans like Satchmo pronounce it?

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2016, 09:32 AM
We'd be 9-2 (6-2) bc of the goddamn SB game. I think you're right about Nova tho. We are going to be above them unless they beat JMU, which isn't happening.

Is the "Spatter" thing supposed to be offensive? Or is it just mocking how Richmond fans like Satchmo pronounce it?
Merely poking fun at the accent don't-cha-know ;)

flyrod
November 10th, 2016, 10:13 AM

Thats
is a very distinct possibility of 6-8 seed scenario if Nova does beat JMU ( The Dukes i'm sure are hoping to avoid that at all costs, with a solid win!)

JSUSoutherner
November 10th, 2016, 11:25 AM
I imagine it's been posted somewhere already but I'm too lazy to dig.

Where and when will the next round of ranking come through? Where and when can I watch?

elcid96
November 10th, 2016, 11:33 AM

UNH at Lehigh vs 2. NDSU

Still have no idea how The Citadel is not a top four team. Our strength of schedule is light years ahead of SHSU and the records are the same.

Schism55
November 10th, 2016, 11:34 AM
I imagine it's been posted somewhere already but I'm too lazy to dig.

Where and when will the next round of ranking come through? Where and when can I watch?
Last week it was on College Football Daily on ESPNU and WatchESPN at 4 ET

JSUSoutherner
November 10th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Last week it was on College Football Daily on ESPNU and WatchESPN at 4 ET
Gracias good sir.

FargoBison
November 10th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Still have no idea how The Citadel is not a top four team. Our strength of schedule is light years ahead of SHSU and the records are the same.
This is a projection...so I do have you with one loss. But I do agree...in my poll I have you ahead of SHSU.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

FargoBison
November 10th, 2016, 06:17 PM
Bison Media Zone Bracket....
(https://www.bisonmediazone.com/2016-bracketology-9-0/)
https://i2.wp.com/www.bisonmediazone.com/files/2016/11/2016-Bracketology-9.0.png?resize=768%2C944&ssl=1

JacksTown
November 10th, 2016, 08:09 PM
Rah rah rah...gooooooooo team!!

xthumbsdownx

I started paying attention around page 9,...after here, the east coast NERDS took over, not to mention NDSU.

I really hope your QB is healthy,((all assuming (assuming), lumberjerks win out)).

1.EWU
2.NDU (even with NAU loss), i hope :D
3. I think the big sky gets 3 in no matter what. Cal Poly or NAU. If Poly and NAU both win out, Poly is in---NAU out.
(Poly losses one and NAU wins out----close one), hopefully NAU.

There will be no 4th unless it is MT.
4. Montana (big sky gets 4 in with MT winning out,or!, loss to UNC and win over MSU. All that matters is win over MSU.

Go all I root for!

JacksTown
November 10th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Montana in with loss to Northern Colorado and win over MSU

Hammerhead
November 10th, 2016, 09:46 PM
They say money doesn't matter, but I wouldn't be surprised if UND and NDSU end up #8 & #1 or #7 & #2 to increase the chance of paying for a bus ride vs. charter flights.

Bison Media Zone Bracket....
(https://www.bisonmediazone.com/2016-bracketology-9-0/)
https://i2.wp.com/www.bisonmediazone.com/files/2016/11/2016-Bracketology-9.0.png?resize=768%2C944&ssl=1

dudeitsaid
November 10th, 2016, 11:22 PM
Montana in with loss to Northern Colorado and win over MSU

If so, it will be because of a very weak bubble and their name. They will have zero signature wins. Maybe you could call Cal Poly a "good loss," but when you have to point to a "good loss" as best reason to be in the playoffs, that's pretty weak sauce.

JacksTown
November 10th, 2016, 11:35 PM
Weak sausage indeed!

JacksTown
November 11th, 2016, 01:18 AM
The run game. We've been trying to establish it all year. Was so frustrating against WIU, Eastern W-- (Eastern beat us thru and thru). WIU also beat us solidly, glad we get a rematch in the Sky Dome apparently.
Northern Colorado loss established Blake Kemp as a pro in my book.

However I was in the grand canyon for Bob Cats , ID State. Griz.

Weber, we didn't f around too much, got the win on pass game and several runs.

However if we need to finally establish the run vs UND, SUU (with wins). Could be a swell playoff if we sneak in. Some extra special defence would be nice too.

If the committee recognises our savage run game against UND with a win. Plus, some sort of savagery vs SUU. It MIGHT be all good.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 11th, 2016, 09:17 AM
They say money doesn't matter, but I wouldn't be surprised if UND and NDSU end up #8 & #1 or #7 & #2 to increase the chance of paying for a bus ride vs. charter flights.

I agree, this will almost come about......1-8 or 2-7....good match up for the Bison.

RabidRabbit
November 11th, 2016, 09:39 AM
If SDSU doesn't get a seed, the BisonMedia bracketology would be a reasonable compromise. Still feeds Jacks into Fargo, if beat UND, but basically as an 8/9 vs 1 seed. I know San Diego already played Cal Poly, but that bus trip in the 1st round will be tough to ignore. Although, the MT/San Diego feeding into EWU is a good job of feeding some of the weakest teams in the bracket into a high seed is solid criteria.

kalm
November 11th, 2016, 09:43 AM
If SDSU doesn't get a seed, the BisonMedia bracketology would be a reasonable compromise. Still feeds Jacks into Fargo, if beat UND, but basically as an 8/9 vs 1 seed. I know San Diego already played Cal Poly, but that bus trip in the 1st round will be tough to ignore. Although, the MT/San Diego feeding into EWU is a good job of feeding some of the weakest teams in the bracket into a high seed is solid criteria.

Yep.

With the exception of USD, there are no easy paths out west.

DirtyDukes
November 11th, 2016, 09:53 AM

I'd like to step in here as a cofounder of the term - definitely just mocking the way Richmond fans like Satchmo pronounce it. Offensive? Eh, is calling us "Barneys" actually supposed to be offensive? Besides, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? Also it makes the phrase SPATTER CHATTER possible, which is great for everyone discussing the SPATTERS.

beerkat
November 11th, 2016, 10:07 AM
If so, it will be because of a very weak bubble and their name. They will have zero signature wins. Maybe you could call Cal Poly a "good loss," but when you have to point to a "good loss" as best reason to be in the playoffs, that's pretty weak sauce.

Is that like JSU’s “good loss” to LSU propping up their strength of schedule?

kalm
November 11th, 2016, 10:21 AM
Is that like JSU’s “good loss” to LSU propping up their strength of schedule?

Yes but they also have wins over Liberty, CCU, and EIU.

BadlandsGrizFan
November 11th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Montana is in 100% if they win the next two. Than the west becomes a giant freaking meat grinder through the playoffs with EWU...Montana...Cal Poly...UND..NDSU...SDSU all mashed together because of the bull**** FCS regional crap.

Even with some thinking Montana isn't great...if they play their A game they can beat anyone and hang 60 on them, same with EWU....if you're EWU you would prefer not to have to play Montana again....neither want Cal Poly again......UND doesn't want to have to play any of them specially not the EWU and Montana offenses...they don't match up well with those teams...SDSU is thinking for ****s sake we have to play NDSU AGAIN in Fargo!!!! And the last thing UND wants is to be fed into the Fargodome as the instate little bro.

The teams in the west are just plain getting sick of each other one would think.

Twentysix
November 11th, 2016, 11:24 AM
I'd love to see CP come to Fargo. I haven't seen them play NDSU except 2007 @CP.

Cocky
November 11th, 2016, 12:21 PM
Yes but they also have wins over Liberty, CCU, and EIU.

The EIU team this year is not EIU from the last several years.

dudeitsaid
November 11th, 2016, 06:18 PM
Montana is in 100% if they win the next two. Than the west becomes a giant freaking meat grinder through the playoffs with EWU...Montana...Cal Poly...UND..NDSU...SDSU all mashed together because of the bull**** FCS regional crap.

Even with some thinking Montana isn't great...if they play their A game they can beat anyone and hang 60 on them, same with EWU....if you're EWU you would prefer not to have to play Montana again....neither want Cal Poly again......UND doesn't want to have to play any of them specially not the EWU and Montana offenses...they don't match up well with those teams...SDSU is thinking for ****s sake we have to play NDSU AGAIN in Fargo!!!! And the last thing UND wants is to be fed into the Fargodome as the instate little bro.

The teams in the west are just plain getting sick of each other one would think.

I agree that if the Griz win both, they are in. The poster I was quoting was assuming you guys lose to UNC. If that's the case, does a 7-4 Griz team get in? Probably, but certainly not deservedly so in that case.

That being said, I think the Griz will win both games, and I agree that when the Griz are on their game, they could be a really tough out for anyone. Maybe Chalich taking the reigns is just enough to turn the tide.

kalm
November 11th, 2016, 10:01 PM
The EIU team this year is not EIU from the last several years.

Yes. But compared with some of the other resumes from high ranked teams, EIU is a juggernaut.