PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern vs Gardner-Webb

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 12:21 PM
CSU sure is dominant...xrolleyesx

Up 7-0 at the half.

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Since Week 3, they have been 16-19 in my poll. They have not shown me anything outside of NDSU to warrant a Top 10 vote. In the words of Colin Cowherd "No soup for you!"

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 12:33 PM
Seems like we can only prop them up on Week 0 for so long.

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Seems like we can only prop them up on Week 0 for so long.

Yet AGS, Stats, and according to the SHSU fans The reliable Coaches poll and Committee's attempt at a poll, has them in the top 10 so they must be a top 10 team. Had they still had their starting QB, I feel like they would be a more versatile team but good teams overcome adversity and they are just getting by in a league that is 4 spots better than the all mighty overlords of the Southland

ElCid
November 5th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Eh, I think it is a little bit of CSU not being as good as everyone thinks and G-W being a bit better than folks think. They have lost some close ones.

kdinva
November 5th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Since Week 3, they have been 16-19 in my poll....

+1

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 01:07 PM
+1

Good thing I have that Google Doc sheet as well to verify it. They have been hovering around 16 for me for the last few weeks. I need to see something from them and if they can obliterate Liberty, (implying they can pull away from GW) then I might be inclined to move them up, but there are, IMO, 15 teams who are better as of right now.

BigSouthFan
November 5th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Eh, I think it is a little bit of CSU not being as good as everyone thinks and G-W being a bit better than folks think. They have lost some close ones.
Well hell let's call it even, call Chatt and Coastal pretty even wins, and you guys let GW score 24 and won by only a TD. So that makes someone else not as good as everyone thinks and GW better than folks think, right? That's what I'm hearing. And no one else on the schedule close to NDSU.

BigSouthFan
November 5th, 2016, 01:22 PM
CSU would be undefeated or 7-1 at ultimate worse in Citadel's schedule IMHO.

I didn't think in your manner of thinking when I unbiasedly ranked you guys 4th. But if we're dropping teams off because of one close game, maybe we should rethink where The Citadel is at and put them around 9 or 10 considering the 4 close wins they had, 3 of those teams being at or under .500

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 01:50 PM
10-10 3:26 left in the game

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 01:55 PM
10-10 3:26 left in the game
Ouch.

BigSouthFan
November 5th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Gardner Webb controls their own destiny. Just got the punt on their own 15. 1:30 left. Will be a surprising loss for CSU if so but I've been preaching an improved GW team all year. Any Given Saturday..

BigSouthFan
November 5th, 2016, 02:01 PM
Blown coverage followed by no contain on the QB. GW ball on 27 .30 seconds left.

BigSouthFan
November 5th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Ball on the 1. Should be ball game. NOW, CSU rightfully needs to be dropped barring a miracle.

TheKingpin28
November 5th, 2016, 02:06 PM
And that is probably game. Now maybe people will start placing CSU where I have had them since week 3. Hell, I might even drop them further than that.

BigSouthFan
November 5th, 2016, 02:08 PM
CSU catches a Hail Mary. 16 yard line .10 left

Bucs2016
November 5th, 2016, 02:09 PM
CSU has been overdue to be upset for a while. Haven't lost to a lower ranked team in over 2 years.

Oh well. Beat LU and KSU and we still win auto bid. No shot at a seed now however.

BigSouthFan
November 5th, 2016, 02:11 PM
CSU drops pass in endxone. Ball behind. 5.9 seconds left

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 02:18 PM
I don't see a reason for Charleston Southern to be ranked with this resume after 10 weeks.

F'N Hawks
November 5th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Like I said in rankings thread, why is Chuck South ranked? They have done nothing.

Bucs2016
November 5th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Like I said in rankings thread, why is Chuck South ranked? They have done nothing.

Based on their past 20 games (before today) and that's why. 3x wins over Citadel. 2 wins over Coastal. 2x wins over Liberty. Took NDSU to OT in Fargo. I wasn't sold on top 10 even being a former CSU player and alumni. BUT if you didn't see CSU as a "ranked" top 25 program you're crazy.

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Based on their past 20 games (before today) and that's why. 3x wins over Citadel. 2 wins over Coastal. 2x wins over Liberty. Took NDSU to OT in Fargo. I wasn't sold on top 10 even being a former CSU player and alumni. BUT if you didn't see CSU as a "ranked" top 25 program you're crazy.

What have you done to be ranked THIS season? The one where you just lost to Grander-Webb at home. xlolx

You don't even have the same team as Week 0, let alone the last 20 games. xrolleyesx

Bucs2016
November 5th, 2016, 02:32 PM

Nah. We are overdue to be upset by someone. Haven't lost one to someone we shouldn't in...well...a while. I think Presbyterian in 2013 was last time we got upset. We were due.

Now just beat Liberty and we get the auto bid.

Bucs2016
November 5th, 2016, 02:34 PM
What have you done to be ranked THIS season? The one where you just lost to Grander-Webb at home. xlolx

You don't even have the same team as Week 0, let alone the last 20 games. xrolleyesx

Hey news flash bud....teams get ranked on past performance a lot. Why was Alabama #1 in week 0??? Why was NDSU ranked #1 after needed OT at home to beat little ole CSU??

See? Yes. CSU was getting some love from last year's run. Like ALL teams do.

You guys are 5-4. Maybe you should stop worrying about CSU so much.

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Hey news flash bud....teams get ranked on past performance a lot. Why was Alabama #1 in week 0??? Why was NDSU ranked #1 after needed OT at home to beat little ole CSU??

Because it was Week 0 you moron lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 02:36 PM

Week 0. Here we are 11 weeks later and CSU doesn't look very good.

ElCid
November 5th, 2016, 02:37 PM
CSU would be undefeated or 7-1 at ultimate worse in Citadel's schedule IMHO.

I didn't think in your manner of thinking when I unbiasedly ranked you guys 4th. But if we're dropping teams off because of one close game, maybe we should rethink where The Citadel is at and put them around 9 or 10 considering the 4 close wins they had, 3 of those teams being at or under .500

I think you missed entirely what I was saying. CSU is good, but not as good as everyone thinks. And G-W is better than everyone thinks. G-W has had a lot of close games that they might have won. That better? Sorry you were confused. And now that they won, G-W is definitely better than they a lot of folks think.

Bucs2016
November 5th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Week 0. Here we are 11 weeks later and CSU doesn't look very good.

They looked good beating Coastal on the road. They looked good blowing out 2 Big South opponents and Bucknell. The Big South is ranked as the 4th best conference in FCS. They've looked great vs the big tests. And dominant vs teams they should dominate. Until today....cuz upsets happen and we were overdue.

In short...we were ranked high for same reasons Baylor is. Great 2014/2015 and in 16 looked how they should vs opponent at hand.

I didn't think we were top 8 necessarily. Top 15...yes.

Bucs2016
November 5th, 2016, 02:55 PM
I think you missed entirely what I was saying. CSU is good, but not as good as everyone thinks. And G-W is better than everyone thinks. G-W has had a lot of close games that they might have won. That better? Sorry you were confused. And now that they won, G-W is definitely better than they a lot of folks think.

Totally agree about GWU. Most underrated team in Big South. Never an easy game. I for one am not shocked they upset us.

However...using your logic we could say Citadel isn't as good as we all think. Basically 1 win over a top 25 team. Lots of close/lucky wins (which is fine...all top 10 teams get those). Plus....yall last 4x in row to CSU in past few years. So if we are bumping down.....

Bucs2016
November 5th, 2016, 02:57 PM
I for one am not surprised or mad about it. Being a top 25 program means accepting you're gonna get upset someday. Today was our day.

Beat LU and KSU and we win conference and auto bid. That's really all I've cared about....GET THAT RING AND RAISE A BANNER FELLAS!

PantherRob82
November 5th, 2016, 03:07 PM
They looked good beating Coastal on the road. They looked good blowing out 2 Big South opponents and Bucknell. The Big South is ranked as the 4th best conference in FCS. They've looked great vs the big tests. And dominant vs teams they should dominate. Until today....cuz upsets happen and we were overdue.
In short...we were ranked high for same reasons Baylor is. Great 2014/2015 and in 16 looked how they should vs opponent at hand.

I didn't think we were top 8 necessarily. Top 15...yes.

The Coastal that finally managed to tie things up with Monmouth? xlolx

Bucs2016
November 5th, 2016, 03:46 PM
The Coastal that finally managed to tie things up with Monmouth? xlolx

Let me inform you on a secret: Good teams don't blowout everyone they play. Coastal is and has been a legit top 15ish program for a long time.

knucklehead
November 5th, 2016, 04:03 PM
I thought GW had a chance to beat CSU. WOW
I hope they didn't rile up the Bucs too bad for their trip to Lynchburg though.
Can not wait till next Saturday. The battle in The Bill for the outright Big South Championship.
Should be a great atmosphere and a great game.

Bucs2016
November 5th, 2016, 04:25 PM
I thought GW had a chance to beat CSU. WOW
I hope they didn't rile up the Bucs too bad for their trip to Lynchburg though.
Can not wait till next Saturday. The battle in The Bill for the outright Big South Championship.
Should be a great atmosphere and a great game.

Yep. Folks in the Big South know Gardner Webb is a team who always has the players to pull a win out vs anyone. They got us.

It's irrelevant though. All it changed is no Big South top 8 seed and no at large. Big South title on line vs Liberty. Winner playoffs. Loser stays home.

knucklehead
November 5th, 2016, 04:44 PM
I's not irrelevant at all sir.
Even if Liberty loses to CSU at home, which will not happen, CSU could still lose to KSU the next week and LU gets the auto bid.

ElCid
November 5th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Totally agree about GWU. Most underrated team in Big South. Never an easy game. I for one am not shocked they upset us.

However...using your logic we could say Citadel isn't as good as we all think. Basically 1 win over a top 25 team. Lots of close/lucky wins (which is fine...all top 10 teams get those). Plus....yall last 4x in row to CSU in past few years. So if we are bumping down.....

Not sure why all you Big South guys always want to make it about us. I was paying a complement the Running Bulldogs and you have to think I have some ulterior motive. I guess I have to be blunt with what I am trying to say. I have heard G-W much maligned on the site and I just think people do not realize how good they actually are.

Now, let's make it about you. Where do you go form here. A win at Liberty is obviously a must since I don't think you get an at large at 6-4 if you don't take the autobid. I guess you have more incentive now.

Elcid1995
November 5th, 2016, 05:02 PM
CSU hey at least you get to keep Chadwell

Elcid1995
November 5th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Not sure why all you Big South guys always want to make it about us. I was paying a complement the Running Bulldogs and you have to think I have some ulterior motive. I guess I have to be blunt with what I am trying to say. I have heard G-W much maligned on the site and I just think people do not realize how good they actually are.

Now, let's make it about you. Where do you go form here. A win at Liberty is obviously a must since I don't think you get an at large at 6-4 if you don't take the autobid. I guess you have more incentive now.

CSU fans are obsessed with El Cid. Fact.

knucklehead
November 5th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Liberty's Defense won't make it any easier for CSU and neither will the crowd. Flames need some work on offense after the past 2 weeks though.

CID1990
November 5th, 2016, 05:38 PM

Damn do we live rent free in these dudes' heads or what

RootinFerDukes
November 5th, 2016, 09:58 PM
Put a fork in csu. They're all but done.

They must now beat Liberty and win the conference. I don't see that happening either. The big south is a one bid league moving forward.

knucklehead
November 5th, 2016, 10:06 PM
That's the issue with such a small league. 1 slip up and you are done a lot of years. I think it can get back to a 2 bid league at some point, but now 2016. I hope we have a record crowd next week in Lynchburg.

walliver
November 5th, 2016, 10:23 PM
The NCAA accountants are now excited about not having a game at CSU.

Honestly, I have had difficulty assessing this team. They took NDSU to overtime, but NDSU did not impress me in that game. The win over CCU was important, but the rest of their schedule has been extremely weak. I wonder if the suspensions and hurricane cancellations have taken their toll.

If they had played the bellhops, I might have a better feel for this team.

The problem going forward over the next several years will be their Big South membership. Without CCU, someone else needs to step up (Liberty? KSU?) to help with strength of schedule. SoCon, CAA, and OVC schools are not lining up to schedule home and home series (facilities play a big role here). Chadwell's stock may have gone down a little, but with the suspensions earlier this year, I suspect he would quickly take any opportunity available to him.

CID1990
November 6th, 2016, 06:45 AM

Honestly, I have had difficulty assessing this team. They took NDSU to overtime, but NDSU did not impress me in that game. The win over CCU was important, but the rest of their schedule has been extremely weak. I wonder if the suspensions and hurricane cancellations have taken their toll.

The problem going forward over the next several years will be their Big South membership. Without CCU, someone else needs to step up (Liberty? KSU?) to help with strength of schedule. SoCon, CAA, and OVC schools are not lining up to schedule home and home series (facilities play a big role here). Chadwell's stock may have gone down a little, but with the suspensions earlier this year, I suspect he would quickly take any opportunity available to him.

We scheduled them for I believe 2-3 games but they are all in JHS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ElCid
November 6th, 2016, 07:43 AM
We scheduled them for I believe 2-3 games but they are all in JHS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 games, all in JHS.

walliver
November 6th, 2016, 09:27 AM
4 games, all in JHS.

It's a start for them, but playing in a 6 team league only fills up 5 weeks, and every other year only gets them 2 home conference games. Even with the Citadel series, they still have 5 (or 6) slots to fill every year. There are very few power conference FCS teams willing to play home-and-home with CSU. Unless Campbell, Stetson, and Jacksonville move up, CSU is going to have schedules with multiple FBS and multiple sub-D1 games every year.

They will have to upgrade their facilities to at least high school standards to make their program attractive for home-and-home series.

Sandlapper Spike
November 6th, 2016, 09:34 AM
CSU played a one-off against Bucknell a couple of weeks ago in North Charleston. I am a little curious as to how much Bucknell got paid for that game. It's a D-1 game, and CSU absolutely needs D-1 games on its home schedule (but as mentioned, is completely hamstrung by its facilities and the lack of Big South league games).

Bucs2016
November 6th, 2016, 10:05 AM

You said it man. It's been a wild, weird season for CSU. The opener at NDSU a week before the season normally starts. Then a DRASTIC strength of opponent difference with Kentucky State then Florida State.

The suspensions and then the hurricane. 21 days without a game in midseason. PC and Monmouth weren't very good.

We struggled with a feisty Bucknell team. I knew we were in trouble.

This may have been a huge wake up call. Better be or Liberty will hammer us.

Bucs2016
November 6th, 2016, 10:09 AM
It's a start for them, but playing in a 6 team league only fills up 5 weeks, and every other year only gets them 2 home conference games. Even with the Citadel series, they still have 5 (or 6) slots to fill every year. There are very few power conference FCS teams willing to play home-and-home with CSU. Unless Campbell, Stetson, and Jacksonville move up, CSU is going to have schedules with multiple FBS and multiple sub-D1 games every year.

They will have to upgrade their facilities to at least high school standards to make their program attractive for home-and-home series.

Yep. Facilities have always held us back. God help FCS when we get em because we see how CSU can recruit already. Mostly the draw of just going to college in this city is what does it.

Also....we have the QB curse. Almost every time CSU in the past 20 years has been on the brink of breaking through to the next level of success relative to where they were....starting QB goes down for season. 1999. 2000. 2002. 2007. Now in 2016 it happens again. The only times I remember it NOT happen is 2005 and last year...which happen to be their 2 lone years of conference championships.

Bucs2016
November 6th, 2016, 10:13 AM
As for scheduling....one big reason teams do same division (FCS vs FCS) OOC games is recruiting. Coaches hit the local high schools that Friday before the game. It's an extra recruiting weekend basically.

WE already have trouble getting a home and home due to facilities. But...it's hard to get any SoCon team to do it because they already hit Charleston every other year w Citadel. I'm not 100% sure but I think we have Elon coming back on because they left SoCon and the crappy facility experience was worth it to get their coaches an extra day recruiting the Low country the Friday before.

It's a big deal. I remember as a player the assistants were never at the hotel the Friday before away games. Only the HC and DC. They were all out within a 2 or 3 hour radius hanging out w players parents at the high school games in the area. Always recruiting haha!!