View Full Version : CCU's Bennett stays put

bodoyle
January 11th, 2007, 02:05 PM
So no more threads are created.

CDB is staying put.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/sports/16437466.htm

Mr. C
January 11th, 2007, 02:08 PM
You have a bad link for the story. What did the story say?

bodoyle
January 11th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Sorry Dave, should work now.

Few tidbits..

"..Reports of a deal had been circulating Thursday, but CCU Athletics Director Warren Koegel said that while Presbyterian College had been close to making Bennett an official offer, a deal never came through...."

"...They tried to make him an offer,"Koegel said. But has been taken care of [at CCU]. ... [b]He went down there, because he's a graduate of there, as a consultant.

Koegel would not immediately specify if that meant Bennett had received a salary increase or extension, but he did say that the two were going to meet this afternoon "to clarify" the Coastal Carolina Football Growth Plan, the school's outline for expenditures for the sport..."

Not sure if I believe he went there as a "consultant" but whatever, as long as he stays put, consult to your heart's content.

Mr. C
January 11th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Sorry Dave, should work now.

Few tidbits..

"..Reports of a deal had been circulating Thursday, but CCU Athletics Director Warren Koegel said that while Presbyterian College had been close to making Bennett an official offer, a deal never came through...."

"...They tried to make him an offer,"Koegel said. But has been taken care of [at CCU]. ... [b]He went down there, because he's a graduate of there, as a consultant.

Koegel would not immediately specify if that meant Bennett had received a salary increase or extension, but he did say that the two were going to meet this afternoon "to clarify" the Coastal Carolina Football Growth Plan, the school's outline for expenditures for the sport..."

Not sure if I believe he went there as a "consultant" but whatever, as long as he stays put, consult to your heart's content.
As a prominent alum, David Bennett owed it to his alma mater to at least talk to them about their program. And I'm sure he spent part of the day telling them some of what they needed to move on with their FCS plans. That's probably where the consulting thing came in. Was David Bennett seriously interested in going to Presbyterian? I seriously doubt it. Knowing both Moose and David quite well, I am also quite sure that David kept Moose abreast of what was going on. It would take a very special program to pry Bennett away from Coastal Carolina right now.

lizrdgizrd
January 11th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I would think he would want to stay put and enjoy some of the benefits of the success he has made of the CCU football program. He's gone through the hard work of starting a program why would he want to scrap that to shepherd a team in to FCS even if he is an alum?

SoCon48
January 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM
As a prominent alum, David Bennett owed it to his alma mater to at least talk to them about their program. And I'm sure he spent part of the day telling them some of what they needed to move on with their FCS plans. That's probably where the consulting thing came in. Was David Bennett seriously interested in going to Presbyterian? I seriously doubt it. Knowing both Moose and David quite well, I am also quite sure that David kept Moose abreast of what was going on. It would take a very special program to pry Bennett away from Coastal Carolina right now.

Certainly one at a higher level than Presby in spite of it being his alma mater.
Going from an FCS to an aspiring FCS is not even a lateral move regardless of salary.xcoffeex

JDC325
January 11th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Hopefully he does not pull a Saban.

OL FU
January 11th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Hopefully he does not pull a Saban.

IF PC offers him $4M he will:smiley_wi

rokamortis
January 11th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Bennett agrees to long-term contract with CCU
By Ian Guerin
The Sun News

CCU head football coach David BennettDavid Bennett has agreed in principle to a new contract extension, the Coastal Carolina football coach said Thursday.

Athletics Director Warren Koegel said the contract would span "at least five years," although he also said by the time the deal is finalized it could be for a longer period of time.

The new deal comes hours after reports speculated Presbyterian College was prepared to offer Bennett a deal to become that school's new head coach.

"We like it here," Bennett said. "We want to stay here. We want to stay here a long time. ... [After the contract extension], we don't have to talk about it anymore."

Said Koegel: "He is happy here and he and his assistants are pleased with where we're going," Koegel said. "He went down there to help [Presbyterian] as a consultant and they got a little excited about it."

The terms of Bennett's new CCU deal could be finalized as early as this evening.
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/16438376.htm