PDA

View Full Version : Coastal's Bennett offered Presbyterian job

PCbluehose
January 11th, 2007, 01:51 PM
He has until Tuesday to decide....

http://www.myrtlebeachherald.com/default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=1&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdetail=5134&wpage=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reoption=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=&pform=&sc=1072&hn=myrtlebeachherald&he=.com

bodoyle
January 11th, 2007, 01:53 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18801

Bennett is staying put

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld...e/16437466.htm

:hurray: :bow: :thumbsup:

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2007, 06:32 PM
This is ridiculous...

Why does Bennett get offered another job?

He said when he was in the mix for the SFA job that he was pulling out because he didn't want rumors of him leaving effecting his recruiting and all that jazz...

rokamortis
January 11th, 2007, 07:53 PM
This is ridiculous...

Why does Bennett get offered another job?

He said when he was in the mix for the SFA job that he was pulling out because he didn't want rumors of him leaving effecting his recruiting and all that jazz...

'Supposedly' - he went up there to consult for PC since he is an alum, to provide advice as they hire a coach and transition to DI. Then the PC admins decided to offer him a job. Seems plausible ... but who knows? I think Bennett was just looking for a little more bargaining power.

BigApp
January 11th, 2007, 09:42 PM
is Bennett becoming the FCS version of Saban?

rokamortis
January 11th, 2007, 09:54 PM
is Bennett becoming the FCS version of Saban?

I like to compare him to Buzz ;)

BigApp
January 11th, 2007, 10:09 PM
'tis a fair comparison! Also Petrino!

youwouldno
January 11th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Well Bennett doesn't have a HC position with the Vols on his resume.

Sir William
January 12th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Bennett has apparently not been offered the job yet. Bobby Bentley is now under considration. No real surprise here. Conventional wisdom says he will probably be offered the job, and take it.

from www.goupstate.com (click on "sports")

Presbyterian contacts Bentley
JASON GILMER, Staff Writer
Published January 12, 2007

Byrnes football coach Bobby Bentley has been contacted by Presbyterian College officials regarding the university's head coaching vacancy.

"They did contact me and I talked to them," Bentley said Thursday evening. "But I am still the football coach and athletic director at Byrnes High School."

Bentley, who led Byrnes to four consecutive state titles in recent years, wouldn't comment further on the situation.

He and two others are considered finalists for the position and the hope is to name a new head coach next week, sources said.

Bentley is a 1990 Presbyterian College graduate and he played football at the school. Bentley, who is also a Byrnes graduate, has compiled a 106-51 record in 13 seasons at the school and helped many players advance to play in college.

It isn't uncommon for Bentley's name to pop up in college coaching searches, but this is the first time his name has been involved with a head coaching search. He had been rumored in connection with jobs at Clemson in the past.

The Presbyterian position came open when Tommy Spangler left the job on Jan. 6 to take the defensive coordinator's position at Louisiana Tech. Spangler compiled a 42-24 record in six years at Presbyterian.

Another Presbyterian graduate, Coastal Carolina's head coach David Bennett, was also rumored to be in the running for the job. Bennett, though, agreed to a multi-year deal to stay at Coastal on Thursday, according to the Myrtle Beach Sun News' Web site. The Sun News reported that Bennett was never officially offered the job, but Presbyterian officials were close to making an offer.

Presbyterian began a transition to Division I status and agreed to join the Big South Conference earlier this year. As the Blue Hose move toward Division I status, they will play a conference schedule during the 2008-09 school year, but that will not count toward the league's standings or championships.

The Blue Hose won't be eligible for conference or NCAA championships until 2011.

Presbyterian College has a crop of graduates who are high school coaches in the state. including Landrum's John Cann, Summerville's John McKissick, Greenwood's Shell Dula, Conway's Chuck Jordan and Polk County's (N.C.) Bruce Ollis.

Jason Gilmer can be reached at 562-7247 or [email protected].

Purple Pride
January 12th, 2007, 08:12 AM
A High School coach coach with no college experience???:eek:

Sir William
January 12th, 2007, 08:31 AM
A High School coach coach with no college experience???:eek:

Yep. Then again, PC ain't Notre Dame (remember Gerry Faust?).

CSU BUCS
January 12th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Does Bentley have enough years in to retire from the state of South Carolina. PC can't pay him what he's making at Byrnes, but if he can draw his state pension that would be a different story.

If Bentley does not have his time in for retirement I doubt he will take the job. (unless he already has enough time in to retire) PC is not a state school so therefore it would not continue to add years to his retirement.

SuperJon
January 12th, 2007, 04:36 PM
How much is he making coaching football at Byrnes?

Eyes of Old Main
January 13th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I know Byrnes is a great program and that Coach Bentley has done a good job there, but is it that hard to find a head coach that PC would have to sift throughthe high school ranks? With their impending move up, couldn't they find an assistant from somewhere in the Big South or SoCon? You would think that would be much less of a risk than a high school coach.

CSU BUCS
January 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM
How much is he making coaching football at Byrnes?

90K from the state payroll. Not counting what he gets from his radio, and TV show or from boosters.

fuEMO
January 14th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Just some info for folks that aren't familar with the Brynes Program. They are building an indoor football practice complex, and they just installed one of the sweetest jumbotron/sound systems. Brynes enjoys rabid community support and has no shortage of funds to pump into their program.

th0m
January 14th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Wouldn't it be considered a step down, from CCU to PC?

CoastalFan2005
January 14th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Bennett is not leaving. This has been said already. This thread should probably be closed, just like the other one was. :twocents:

Purple Pride
January 14th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Other names mentioned on d2football.com:

Shell Dula, Greenwood High School football coach
Chuck Jordan, Conway High School football coach
John McKissick, Summerville High School football coach

I don't understand the obsession with hiring an alumni.

BigApp
January 14th, 2007, 01:17 PM
McKissick is what, 70-75 years old? Jordan ain't a spring chicken either. I don't know of Dula.

But, I agree, I also don't understand an obsession with hiring an alumni.

iguerin
January 14th, 2007, 08:42 PM
McKissick is what, 70-75 years old? Jordan ain't a spring chicken either. I don't know of Dula.

How do you not know of Dula? He coached Armanti Edwards in high school.
From having used to cover football in that area, I can tell you he's pretty much considered a god in that area.

Eyes of Old Main
January 14th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I don't understand the need to "keep it in the family" either. Must be "a Blue Hose thing" that I wouldn't understand.

Going after Bennett made sense, but since that ship has sailed, why not go after the best you can get instead of looking for an alumnus who currently coaches in high school (no matter how big the school or how much success)?

You can't tell me that there aren't a number of assistant coaches and/or coordniators currently at SoCon and Big South schools that would not only be qualified, but eager to league PC in their move up.

Purple Pride
January 14th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Sounds like Bennett's out. Can we move this to the other thread and talk it over???:thumbsup: