PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh raids USD cupboards

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 10:32 AM
The Torero fans can't say we didn't warn them that Jim Harbaugh was only looking out for himself and not the future of the Toreros program.

Harbaugh adds six coaches to his staff
By Darren Sabedra
Mercury News

Stanford football coach Jim Harbaugh hired the first six members of his coaching staff Wednesday.

Four of the coaches were on Harbaugh's staff at the University of San Diego, including offensive coordinator David Shaw.

Harbaugh also hired Lance Anderson (defensive line), Andy Buh (linebackers), Tim Drevno (tight ends), Willie Taggart (running backs) and Shannon Turley (strength and conditioning).

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/colleges/stanford/16432833.htm

GOTOREROS
January 11th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Often when a head coach leaves he takes staff with him. Not too surprised to be honest. Normal operating scenario for football.....

Green Cookie Monster
January 11th, 2007, 10:48 AM
The new coach will want his own people.

lizrdgizrd
January 11th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Wonder if he'll try to get any of his students to transfer.

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 10:54 AM
The new coach will want his own people.
Eventually, but it would have been nice to have some stability there. It's just that the USD fans seemed to think that Harbaugh was always looking out for the Toreros instead of himself. He's just like any other short term coach... stepping stones until you get to where you want to be.

PapaBear
January 11th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Some USD fans may not think Harbaugh is very loyal. But I'll bet those six assistant coaches he took, who probably just doubled their salaries, think pretty highly of him.xcoffeex

putter
January 11th, 2007, 10:58 AM
He thought pretty highly of the QB. Will he have him transfer to Stanford?

andy7171
January 11th, 2007, 10:59 AM
This is common practice for a coach to bring his assistants. Are we fishing for SanDiego posts??

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 11:10 AM
This is common practice for a coach to bring his assistants. Are we fishing for SanDiego posts??
Just missed the 100 per day we had in November. :p

andy7171
January 11th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Just missed the 100 per day we had in November. :p
xlolx We all do hen, we all do! xlolx

GOTOREROS
January 11th, 2007, 11:42 AM

Exactly - for all the crying and complaining people sure do like to talk about San Diego! :D

San Diego is your favorite "car accident" that you can't avoid looking at on the freeway, slowing down everyone else.....xlolx

MplsBison
January 11th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Josh Johnson to Stanford?

What is the NCAA DI rule? Isn't it 5 years to do 4 years of eligibility?

So is there any way this could happen seeing he'd have to sit out 2007?

AggiePride
January 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Who said he did not bring them to USD when he went there?

This is common practice for head coaches...

GOTOREROS
January 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Josh Johnson to Stanford?

What is the NCAA DI rule? Isn't it 5 years to do 4 years of eligibility?

So is there any way this could happen seeing he'd have to sit out 2007?

Josh Johnson is not transferring to Stanford - even if he did he would have to sit a year and then have one year of eligibility. Josh has told the USD AD he is not going anywhere. And to be quite honest, does Stanford even accept transfers? I am not so sure they do.....there isn't one transfer on their current roster.

andy7171
January 11th, 2007, 12:44 PM
You only have to sit if you transfer DOWN. He would be going up. And the NCAA changed the rule this year or last that you could transfer from I-A to I-AA and not have to sit.

Ronbo
January 11th, 2007, 12:49 PM
You only have to sit if you transfer DOWN. He would be going up. And the NCAA changed the rule this year or last that you could transfer from I-A to I-AA and not have to sit.

You got that backwards. You sit going up or if you transfer within your division and you play right away if you go down.

lizrdgizrd
January 11th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Josh Johnson is not transferring to Stanford - even if he did he would have to sit a year and then have one year of eligibility. Josh has told the USD AD he is not going anywhere. And to be quite honest, does Stanford even accept transfers? I am not so sure they do.....there isn't one transfer on their current roster.
Maybe they should accept transfers. xlolx

andy7171
January 11th, 2007, 01:02 PM
You got that backwards. You sit going up or if you transfer within your division and you play right away if you go down.
That can't be. It's supposed to discourage moving down.
Why would they discourage moving up.
My friend Chad Scott transferred to Maryland, when Towson dropped scholarships and played right away.

KJ Eagle
January 11th, 2007, 01:21 PM
My friend Chad Scott transferred to Maryland, when Towson dropped scholarships and played right away.

You can go from one division to another without sitting out. You have to sit out only when you transfer within the division. You can't go from FSU to UGA without sitting out, but you can go from FSU to GSU and play right away.

andy7171
January 11th, 2007, 01:23 PM
OK. I don't know todays rules. But when I played you couldn't transfer down without sitting a year.

GOTOREROS
January 11th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Well if Johnson did not get a release from USD he could not get a scholarship from Stanford. A player must get a release to be eligible to get a scholarship from the new school, and I doubt USD would grant him a release.

Husky Alum
January 11th, 2007, 01:45 PM
And all he would have to do is pay his own way to Stanford for a year and find a way to get a loan for a year.

The second he graduates some Stanford alum would be more than happy to repay the loan for him, or give him a job with a big signing bonus, or forgive the debt from their financial institution

Ask our friends at Siena how that works. They had quite the story this summer with a basketball player who was allegedly dirt poor - yet the kid found the money to pay his way to Duquesne, where he's sitting out the year before playing next season.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

89Hen
January 11th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Well if Johnson did not get a release from USD he could not get a scholarship from Stanford. A player must get a release to be eligible to get a scholarship from the new school, and I doubt USD would grant him a release.
That's what happened with our current QB who came from Pitt. They wouldn't let him out so he couldn't play/practice in 2005.

GOTOREROS
January 11th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Josh has told the USD AD he wants to finish his career at USD and get his degree. He is on pace to graduate in 4 years - I think he is very happy at USD.....

danefan
January 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Couldn't Johnson "redshirt" next year and then go to Stanford in 2008 in a Master's Program and play? I know its a long shot but under the rules could it be done?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 11th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Couldn't Johnson "redshirt" next year and then go to Stanford in 2008 in a Master's Program and play? I know its a long shot but under the rules could it be done?

The problem is that he would have to be accepted at Stanford first! :p They just don't let anyone in you know. It's like transferring to Harvard.

danefan
January 11th, 2007, 03:54 PM
The problem is that he would have to be accepted at Stanford first! :p They just don't let anyone in you know. It's like transferring to Harvard.

True! I was just wondering if under the new Grad Transfer rules, a person could do that, assuming they could get into the school.

Ronbo
January 11th, 2007, 04:44 PM
You can go from one division to another without sitting out. You have to sit out only when you transfer within the division. You can't go from FSU to UGA without sitting out, but you can go from FSU to GSU and play right away.

If you transfer from Div I FCS to Div I FBS you must sit out. If you transfer form Div I FCS or FBS to Div II you don't need to sit out. We had a CB transfer to San Diego State and he sat out and lost a year of eligibility.

Lionsrking
January 11th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Alright here's the deal with transferring...

A student-athlete CAN transfer DOWN in division without having to sit.

A student-athlete CANNOT transfer within a division without having to sit.

A student-athlete CANNOT transfer UP in division without having to sit.

The rule allowing student-athletes who have already graduated from one school to transfer to another and be immediately eligible was rescinded last week. One year deal only.

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Isn't it different for a non-scholarship school like San Diego? Isn't there something different about that?

JMG1MON
January 12th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Isn't it different for a non-scholarship school like San Diego? Isn't there something different about that?

Nope, its still considered FCS, even if it is non-scholly FCS.

Lions has it correct.

You can transfer down (i.e. FBS to FCS, FCS to D-2, D-2 to D-3, etc...) and not be penalized a year of eligibility (5 years to play 4, except in cases of medical redshirts where you could be granted a 6th year). You cannot transfer within your own division (i.e. UMASS to Montana) without being penalized 1 year of eligibility. You cannot transfer up (i.e. D-3 to D-2, D-2 to FCS, FCS to FBS, etc...) without being penalized a year of eligibility. Certain conferences penalize students for transferring within your own conference (Big East requires students to sit 2 years if you were to go from say UCONN to Syracuse).

msupokes1
January 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I thought you could transfer if the coach left your school.

Model Citizen
January 12th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Excuse me if my sarcasm detector isn't working today...commitment is made to the school, not the coach.

Eligibility after transfer depends on gaining a release. To avoid sitting out after transferring up from a FCS school, a student-athlete needs that release, even if the program he's leaving is non-scholarship.

97Torero
January 13th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I believe you can transfer within the same division or up a division penalty free only when your current school drops the program. I know this happened back in the early 90's when santa clara and a couple of the other california schools dropped programs, and more recently with players from st. mary's.

catdaddy2402
January 14th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I would imagine that was treated the same way as if the program is dropped. If a school drops a football (or any other sport) proram players are allowed to transfer without having to sit out a year.

Mr. C
January 14th, 2007, 03:14 PM
You can transfer for plenty of reasons, but the fact that your coach left doesn't change the rules. You still would have to sit out a year if you transfered from an FCS school to another FCS school, or from an FCS school to a FBS school. So, if Joshua Johnson went from San Diego to say Montana, or Stanford, he would have to sit out a year.

UAalum72
January 14th, 2007, 08:19 PM

It's supposed to prevent higher-profile (BCS) programs from raiding lower-profile programs when a player shows unexpected talent (i.e. the lower team had better talent evaluators)

Mr. C
January 14th, 2007, 10:30 PM
There are not very many occasions when a school gets in the way of a player transferring. Marshall tried to keep three or four of their players, including future NFL RB Olandis Gary and TE Jermaine Wiggins from going to Georgia when Jim Donnan left Marshall, but eventually the Herd relented.

That being said, I don't expect Johnson to be going anywhere. From what I've heard he is happy at San Diego and will be back for his senior year. He also could have declared for the NFL draft a year early, but he has told people he will not do that.

Husky Alum
January 16th, 2007, 08:51 AM
There was quite a tumult this summer in men's hoops when former Northeastern Coach Ron Everhart took his star center (Shawn James) with him to Duquesne. NU gave James his release.

James' alleged best friend, Kojo Mensah announced his intentions to leave Siena College, purportedly to play with James and Everhart at Duquesne.

Siena refused to grant a release claiming that Duquesne tampered, and that Mensah's "handler/advisor" and James' "handler/advisor" were driving the truck to deliver both players to Everhart.

It got major play in the NY Times as the "handler/advisor" (a sketchy dude named Norm Ostrin) is good friends with actor Lou Gossett, Jr. Ostrin got Gossett to do his battling for him in the media.

End of the story, Mensah is at Duquesne "paying his own way" (cough, cough, cough).

A school can restrict the schools it will release a player to, however, and that's commonly done.