PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology 4.0

FargoBison
October 30th, 2016, 01:23 AM
My bracket this week...Weber State was my last team in but it was far from solid and I could see a number of teams fighitng for that spot....

UND at SDSU vs 1. NDSU
Villanova at Stony Brook vs 8. Charleston Southern
Samford at Montana vs 5. The Citadel
Weber State at UCA vs 4. SHSU

St Francis at YSU vs 6. Richmond
WIU at Chattanooga vs 3. JSU
UNH at Lehigh vs 7. JMU
USD at Cal Poly vs 2. EWU

Autobids: EWU, Charleston Southern, Richmond, NDSU, St. Francis, Jacksonville State, Lehigh, San Diego, The Citadel, SHSU
At Large: JMU, Chattannoga, YSU, Cal Poly, SDSU, Villanova, WIU, UND, Samford, UCA, UNH, Montana, Stony Brook, Weber State

Bubble: Maine, Albany, NAU, NCCU, Tennessee St, Fordham, Wofford, McNeese St, SUU, UNC, USD

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2016, 01:31 AM
Weber St is very precarious right now IMO.... Maine, South Dakota, and Wofford in particular have a good argument there but tough to argue for any of them over the others... all of them are very iffy no matter what argument you make. After that I think it's pretty obvious (as of now anyway).

FargoBison
October 30th, 2016, 01:40 AM
Weber St is very precarious right now IMO.... Maine, South Dakota, and Wofford in particular have a good argument there but tough to argue for either... both are very iffy no matter what argument you make. After that I think it's pretty obvious (as of now).

I thought about Maine but they finish vs Nova, at SB and vs UNH. Very tough slate to close the season, obviously if they sweep they are in. USD is in the same boat with NDSU and SDSU. Wofford really needs to beat Chattanooga, they have no quality wins. Weber has two tough games at home(CP and NAU) NAU is also still alive. It's a complete mess to figure out.

UNI or ISUR could run the table and make an interesting case at 6-5, especially if the bubble teams cannibalize each other.

NDSUtk
October 30th, 2016, 01:47 AM
I don't think the committee will reward NDSU with the #1. Maybe #2 though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2016, 01:58 AM
I don't think the committee will reward NDSU with the #1. Maybe #2 though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
If it comes down to NDSU and EWU I don't know how they can justify EWU at #1. Both teams would be 10-1, NDSU would have better (and more) quality wins plus the head-to-head win. Tough to justify EWU in that scenario no matter how you look at it.

NDSUtk
October 30th, 2016, 02:02 AM
If it comes down to NDSU and EWU I don't know how they can justify EWU at #1. Both teams would be 10-1, NDSU would have better (and more) quality wins plus the head-to-head win. Tough to justify EWU in that scenario no matter how you look at it.
Yeah I thought of that when I posted. It'll be interesting. Could they put us at 3 with JSU and EWU ahead? Who knows. Will be interesting to see what the committee says this week

Does anyone know, are they releasing specific spots or just a list?

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2016, 02:09 AM
Yeah I thought of that when I posted. It'll be interesting. Could they put us at 3 with JSU and EWU ahead? Who knows. Will be interesting to see what the committee says this week

Does anyone know, are they releasing specific spots or just a list?
If they put EWU ahead of NDSU I couldn't complain (that much). I would have a big problem if they put JSU ahead of NDSU. I've heard the FCS playoff selection committee will be releasing their top 10 list the last 3 weeks of the regular season so sometime around next Sunday (11/6) would be the first release. That'll be interesting (to say the least).

NDSUtk
October 30th, 2016, 02:10 AM
If they put EWU ahead of NDSU I couldn't complain (that much). I would have a big problem if they put JSU ahead of NDSU. I've heard the FCS playoff selection committee will be releasing their to 10 list the last 3 weeks of the regular season (so sometime around next Sunday (11/6) would be the first release. That'll be interesting (to say the least).
I believe it is this Thursday. I'm interested to see if it is just a list of teams or if they will actually slot them and say this is our number one today

dudeitsaid
October 30th, 2016, 02:34 AM

I agree with this. I think if the Bison win out, they will get the number 1 seed by mere virtue of who they have to beat to run the table from here on out. If both teams are at 10-1, I'd give the Bison the nod at 1. But I could see just about anything happen, including undefeated SHSU or the Citadel, and JSU. I think NDSU at 1 is most likely in that case though.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe it is this Thursday. I'm interested to see if it is just a list of teams or if they will actually slot them and say this is our number one today

11/3 was my understanding as well.

Big_Fan
October 30th, 2016, 02:37 AM
If they put EWU ahead of NDSU I couldn't complain (that much). I would have a big problem if they put JSU ahead of NDSU. I've heard the FCS playoff selection committee will be releasing their top 10 list the last 3 weeks of the regular season so sometime around next Sunday (11/6) would be the first release. That'll be interesting (to say the least).

I don't think JSU will be ahead of NDSU in the seedings, barring another loss by the Bison... but it is possible.

Iowa is the most impressive win in the FCS this season, hands down... but the loss to SDSU is looking worse. ISUr lost to the same EIU team we thumped today. I know that transitive means nothing in matching up teams, but it does affect opinions. If we both finish strong, we both have one loss... NDSU has a more recent loss to an FCS team, whereas our loss was a tough game to LSU in week 2. Coastal and Liberty have both continued to win, with Coastal's only other loss being by one point to Chuck South. They help to offset our pathetic conference strength.

...not saying it will happen, but stranger things have. The world won't have to be upside down for NDSU to fall to a 3 or even 4 seed, depending on what happens over the next few weeks.

grizband
October 30th, 2016, 04:25 AM
I don't think JSU will be ahead of NDSU in the seedings, barring another loss by the Bison... but it is possible.

Iowa is the most impressive win in the FCS this season, hands down... but the loss to SDSU is looking worse. ISUr lost to the same EIU team we thumped today. I know that transitive means nothing in matching up teams, but it does affect opinions. If we both finish strong, we both have one loss... NDSU has a more recent loss to an FCS team, whereas our loss was a tough game to LSU in week 2. Coastal and Liberty have both continued to win, with Coastal's only other loss being by one point to Chuck South. They help to offset our pathetic conference strength.

...not saying it will happen, but stranger things have. The world won't have to be upside down for NDSU to fall to a 3 or even 4 seed, depending on what happens over the next few weeks.
I could argue that Eastern Washington's win over WSU is more impressive than NDSU's win over Iowa.

UNHWildcat18
October 30th, 2016, 04:31 AM
I can see NDSU falling to 3 if the citadel and SHSU go undefeated in FCS play. Happened for 1-2 UNH NDSU, not saying it will but if it did,I can see them no lower than 3. (Not that those teams had a harder SOS of course)

CHIP72
October 30th, 2016, 05:41 AM
I could argue that Eastern Washington's win over WSU is more impressive than NDSU's win over Iowa.

Beat me to it. If you look more closely at Iowa's and Washington State's respective schedules up to this point, I think it becomes clearer the above is probably the case. That could change before the end of the season; both teams, especially Iowa, have some tough games to close out the season.

RootinFerDukes
October 30th, 2016, 07:47 AM
Do they not care about rematches in the second round? If they do, unh won't come to Harrisonburg and will go to UR instead.

RabidRabbit
October 30th, 2016, 07:50 AM
SDSU still has the inside track to the MVFC autobid, having defeated the two other co-leaders, NDSU/YSU. Of course, next week, either NDSU or YSU will pick up a second loss. IMHO, SDSU did fall off the seed line, but they're still in for the MVFC title.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2016, 07:52 AM

Yeah, anything is possible but, as of right now, I'd contend that NDSU has 4 wins (CSU, EWU, Iowa, and WIU) better than JSU's best win (CCU). I'd be very surprised to see a 10-1 JSU seeded over a 10-1 NDSU especially since NDSU would have another impressive win against YSU to add to that in that scenario.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2016, 07:55 AM
Do they not care about rematches in the second round? If they do, unh won't come to Harrisonburg and will go to UR instead.
Nope unfortunately not. I believe that last year there was potential for 6 of the 8 2nd round games to be regular season rematches and it played out where 5 of them were.

Big_Fan
October 30th, 2016, 07:55 AM
Yeah, anything is possible but, as of right now I'd contend that NDSU has 4 wins (CSU, EWU, Iowa, and WIU) better than JSU's best win (CCU). I'd be very surprised to see a 10-1 JSU seeded over a 10-1 NDSU especially since NDSU would have another impressive win against YSU to add to that in that scenario.

Losses (and when they occur) hurt you more than wins help you. History bears that out. That is why we were the #1 seed last season... well, that and we were pretty good.

The exception would be how big the win is, and when it happens. If a 2 loss NDSU team played Iowa the last week of the season and beat them, they would jump everyone and get the #1 seed. NDSU was favored in every game except the Iowa win... including the loss to SDSU. That loss hurt you more than the week 1 Iowa win helped you... and a LOT more than a win over a solid YSU team will.

RootinFerDukes
October 30th, 2016, 07:56 AM

No it wasn't. Washington state wasn't ranked. End of discussion.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Losses (and when they occur) hurt you more than wins help you. History bears that out. That is why we were the #1 seed last season... well, that and we were pretty good.

The exception would be how big the win is, and when it happens. If a 2 loss NDSU team played Iowa the last week of the season and beat them, they would jump everyone and get the #1 seed.
True but NDSU would also be on a 5 game win streak to end the year in that 10-1 scenario so it's not like they would've stumbled close to the finish line. Last year JSU had the benefit of going up against a couple 9-2 teams in ISUr and NDSU along with a very vulnerable looking 10-0 McNeese for that top seed. This year I think their competition will be much stiffer.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2016, 08:03 AM

Beat me to it. If you look more closely at Iowa's and Washington State's respective schedules up to this point, I think it becomes clearer the above is probably the case. That could change before the end of the season; both teams, especially Iowa, have some tough games to close out the season.
Yes, good points but if that's the case then NDSU's win vs EWU in the best win the FCS this year instead. xthumbsupx

Big_Fan
October 30th, 2016, 08:12 AM
True but NDSU would also be on a 6 game win streak to end the year in that 10-1 scenario so it's not like they would've stumbled close to the finish line. Last year JSU had the benefit of going up against a couple 9-2 teams in ISUr and NDSU along with a very vulnerable looking 10-0 McNeese for that top seed. This year I think their competition will be much stiffer.
Perhaps. Like I said, I don't expect us to get a 1 seed... but it wouldn't surprise me if NDSU is below us... probably not, but it wouldn't be a shock. You look vulnerable again based on recent performance.

I personally am bothered more by shsu. Undefeated is meaningless in their case. Our D2 opponent would be undefeated against their schedule. I really hope that we get them again in the playoffs. I want to see how their super powerful offense looks when they can't run at all, and their QB is running for his life on every play.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

70MilesFromCanada
October 30th, 2016, 08:14 AM
My bracket this week...Weber State was my last team in but it was far from solid and I could see a number of teams fighitng for that spot....

UND at SDSU vs 1. NDSU
Villanova at Stony Brook vs 8. Charleston Southern
Samford at Montana vs 5. The Citadel
Weber State at UCA vs 4. SHSU

St Francis at YSU vs 6. Richmond
WIU at Chattanooga vs 3. JSU
UNH at Lehigh vs 7. JMU
USD at Cal Poly vs 2. EWU

Autobids: EWU, Charleston Southern, Richmond, NDSU, St. Francis, Jacksonville State, Lehigh, San Diego, The Citadel, SHSU
At Large: JMU, Chattannoga, YSU, Cal Poly, SDSU, Villanova, WIU, UND, Samford, UCA, UNH, Montana, Stony Brook, Weber State

Bubble: Maine, Albany, NAU, NCCU, Tennessee St, Fordham, Wofford, McNeese St, SUU, UNC, USD

This discussion always seems to veer towards who will be 1-4 cause we all know how important the bye and home field can be. BUT, it bothers me to see UND&SDSU (possible top 12 teams) having to play at NDSU as long as the Bison are seeded higher. If USD/Cal Poly is doable with USD potentially going to EWU, why can't the UND/SDSU winner play EWU? You go from "possible" increased travel to for sure. I would really like to see UND play EWU (assuming they can even get by SDSU) just to see if they are even close to EWU. They would not be favored but I think it would be fun to watch. Also, what has to happen for UND to host SDSU?

RabidRabbit
October 30th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Also, what has to happen for UND to host SDSU?

Need to outbid SDSU. SDSU will be basing bid on 17K or more for the game. What's Alerus capacity?

mainejeff
October 30th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Regarding Maine.......They go 2-1 and they are in.

RabidRabbit
October 30th, 2016, 08:21 AM
The USD @ Cal Poly is San Diego, not South Dakota.

RootinFerDukes
October 30th, 2016, 08:21 AM

That would put them at 7-4 and on the bubble. It would really depend on how the rest of the national bubble field looks at that point in the season. It's far from a guarantee. UM finishing 3-0 is the only guaranteed path.

70MilesFromCanada
October 30th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Also, what has to happen for UND to host SDSU?

Need to outbid SDSU. SDSU will be basing bid on 17K or more for the game. What's Alerus capacity?

CHIP72
October 30th, 2016, 08:26 AM

Oh, then I guess early season wins various teams posted this year over teams like Notre Dame, Mississippi, Michigan State, and Southern California were great wins then, right?

Early season rankings mean nothing - Iowa is a decent team this year, but was overrated early in the season, based on what they've done for the whole season up to this point.

mainejeff
October 30th, 2016, 08:30 AM
That would put them at 7-4 and on the bubble. It would really depend on how the rest of the national bubble field looks at that point in the season. It's far from a guarantee. UM finishing 3-0 is the only guaranteed path.

6-2 in the CAA, 7-1 over their last 8 games, 2 losses to FBS programs.......have to disagree with you.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 30th, 2016, 08:33 AM
6-2 in the CAA, 7-1 over their last 8 games, 2 losses to FBS programs.......have to disagree with you.

I agree. I think Maine is definitely in at 7-4.

70MilesFromCanada
October 30th, 2016, 08:49 AM
The USD @ Cal Poly is San Diego, not South Dakota.

WTF! I can't tell a Coyote from a Bullfighter? OMG OMG. Whatever. It's still not right.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2016, 09:15 AM
I haven't looked at Maine's schedule (so I don't know if evidence is to the contrary) but I notice no mention of any quality wins in particular in your post. With as many teams as conferences like the Big Sky and CAA have all 7-1, 6-2, etc teams should not be looked at equally with the unbalanced conference schedules.

Cocky
October 30th, 2016, 09:17 AM
If we play like did yesterday for the rest of the season, JSU might get the 1 seed. EIU was a team who beat ISUr (who has played decent in the MVC) but was totally outmatched against JSU.

kalm
October 30th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Oh, then I guess early season wins various teams posted this year over teams like Notre Dame, Mississippi, Michigan State, and Southern California were great wins then, right?

Early season rankings mean nothing - Iowa is a decent team this year, but was overrated early in the season, based on what they've done for the whole season up to this point.

xnodx

WSU and Iowa are comparable and of course some of the gloss has fallen off the Coug's wins over UCLA and Oregon, but they should finish the season 8-4 at the worst whereas Iowa still plays @ PSU, Michigan, and Nebraska.

I still think NDSU gets seeded ahead of EWU due to higher quality FCS wins. JSU should get the 3 and SHSU the 4 unless The Citadel decides to do something crazy like beat UNC. The winner of Richmond - JMU also has an outside shot supplanting JSU or SHSU - especially Richmond with their win over Virginia - but JMU could also pick up a quality win against Nova.

The 7 and 8 seeds are going to be interesting with UTC, UND, CAU, JMU/Rich, Nova, Poly, CSU, and the MVFC #2 all lurking with opportunities to jump those in front of them (see Poly and EWU).

Regarding the Big Sky, not only does Weber have tough games remaining against NAU and Poly, but NAU has to win at Weber and at UND to run the table.

ccd494
October 30th, 2016, 09:20 AM
I haven't looked at Maine's schedule (so I don't know if evidence is to the contrary) but I notice no mention of any quality wins in particular in your post. With as many teams as conferences like the Big Sky and CAA have all 7-1, 6-2, etc teams should not be looked at equally with the unbalanced conference schedules.

If Maine gets to 7-4, in addition to the (existing) win over bubble-ish Albany, there would be wins over two of Villanova, Stony Brook and New Hampshire.

SU DOG
October 30th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Will the Gamecocks be the only OVC Team to get in? After the TN State loss yesterday, that's the way it appears to me, but I might be missing something.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2016, 09:25 AM
If Maine gets to 7-4, in addition to the (existing) win over bubble-ish Albany, there would be wins over two of Villanova, Stony Brook and New Hampshire.
Fair enough. I agree then at 7-4 (6-2) they'd look pretty darn solid.

kalm
October 30th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Will the Gamecocks be the only OVC Team to get in? After the TN State loss yesterday, that's the way it appears to me, but I might be missing something.

EIU is still in the hunt with wins over Miami of Ohio and ISUr. Probably need some help.

LuckyKat
October 30th, 2016, 09:36 AM
cant wait for the tears win the KATs finish no lower than the 2 Seed

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2016, 09:41 AM
EIU is still in the hunt with wins over Miami of Ohio and ISUr. Probably need some help.
Idk, to me those are marginal wins that are overshadowed, or at the very least neutralized, by their two bad losses to Murray St and SEMO.

How about having less hiding behind blanket comments like "team X finishing no lower than a Y seed" and tell us why a hypothetical 11-0 SHSU is more deserving on a top two seed than hypothetical 10-1 EWU and NDSU teams?

Cocky
October 30th, 2016, 09:49 AM
UTM may have an outside shot if they can get to the win minimum (I guess I should look at the schedule but too lazy). Only one FCS loss (Tn St) and three FBS losses.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2016, 09:59 AM
UTM may have an outside shot if they can get to the win minimum (I guess I should look at the schedule but too lazy). Only one FCS loss (Tn St) and three FBS losses.
Yeah, they've got a non-D1 win so unless they win out and beat the Cocks they can't get to 6 D1 wins.

FargoBison
October 30th, 2016, 10:12 AM

Looking more and more like NDSU and EWU are going to roll to 10-1 so I doubt it.

Of course both still have tough games while SHSU has their one tough game of the season against UCA so anything can happen.

kalm
October 30th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Looking more and more like NDSU and EWU are going to roll to 10-1 so I doubt it.

Of course both still have tough games while SHSU has their one tough game of the season against UCA so anything can happen.

And UCA just slipped ahead of SHSU in Sagarin. How come there's no talk of the Bears being the possible 1 seed?

LuckyKat
October 30th, 2016, 10:45 AM
And UCA just slipped ahead of SHSU in Sagarin. How come there's no talk of the Bears being the possible 1 seed?

IF they Beat The KATS, they'll get my vote

kalm
October 30th, 2016, 11:07 AM
IF they Beat The KATS, they'll get my vote

They'd have a better case than an 11-0 SHSU would and they'd still be below 4 other 1-loss teams.

Schism55
October 30th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Seriously?
Never seen more than 10k reported attendance so I assumed that was capacity.
At any rate UND is not out bidding SDSU.

grizband
October 30th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Matters where they end the season more, imo; but I know not everyone shares that viewpoint.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

grizband
October 30th, 2016, 12:11 PM

Exactly my point!

Serpentor
October 30th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Perhaps. Like I said, I don't expect us to get a 1 seed... but it wouldn't surprise me if NDSU is below us... probably not, but it wouldn't be a shock. You look vulnerable again based on recent performance.

I personally am bothered more by shsu. Undefeated is meaningless in their case. Our D2 opponent would be undefeated against their schedule. I really hope that we get them again in the playoffs. I want to see how their super powerful offense looks when they can't run at all, and their QB is running for his life on every play.

Tough talk for fried chicken.

ElCid
October 30th, 2016, 12:48 PM

This is a seriously good point. There a couple teams from both conferences that will have a pretty good conf record but they miss some/most of the tough conf teams. Still is not a disqualifier, but it will be, and needs to be looked at for what it is. Maine's schedule looks pretty good though. But it is no better than say Wofford's schedule at 7-4 or a NAU if they win out at 7-4. ND's conf schedule was probably one of the easier BS schedules though. Although they had a pretty decent OOC one to balancer that out. Ah, it ain't over yet. Speculation is an exercise is futility still.

ElCid
October 30th, 2016, 12:53 PM

They are ahead in Massey as well at #4 behind only NDSU, E Wash, and JSU. SHSU is #8 in Massey. The Final SOS for Cent Ark will be about #25....not bad. SHSU will be........#70. Yikes.

70MilesFromCanada
October 30th, 2016, 04:03 PM
This is a seriously good point. There a couple teams from both conferences that will have a pretty good conf record but they miss some/most of the tough conf teams. Still is not a disqualifier, but it will be, and needs to be looked at for what it is. Maine's schedule looks pretty good though. But it is no better than say Wofford's schedule at 7-4 or a NAU if they win out at 7-4. ND's conf schedule was probably one of the easier BS schedules though. Although they had a pretty decent OOC one to balancer that out. Ah, it ain't over yet. Speculation is an exercise is futility still.

Please review the UND schedule. Based on current BS standings they play #3 (win), #4 (win), #5 (upcoming) and #6 (upcoming) teams. Since they are #1 and EWU #2 currently I fail to see why they have an easy schedule just because they don't play EWU.

70MilesFromCanada
October 30th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Please review the UND schedule. Based on current BS standings they play #3 (win), #4 (win), #5 (upcoming) and #6 (upcoming) teams. Since they are #1 and EWU #2 currently I fail to see why they have an easy schedule just because they don't play EWU.

I do admit the UND home BS schedule has been favorable.

Gangtackle11
October 30th, 2016, 04:28 PM
My shot at this week's bracket:

#1 NDSU vs. SDSU/UND winner

#8 Chattanooga vs. Western Illinois/UCA winner

#5 Sam Houston State vs. Montana/San Diego winner

#4 Jacksonville State vs. UNH/Lehigh winner

#3 The Citadel vs. Charleston Southern/Wofford winner

#6 Richmond vs. Villanova/St. Francis PA winner

#7 James Madison vs. Samford/Liberty winner

#2 Eastern Washington vs. Cal Poly/Youngstown St. winner

out:
Stony Brook
Albany
Weber State
South Dakota

ElCid
October 30th, 2016, 04:32 PM

I guess I was looking at it from a poll/computer strength standpoint. Without EWU or Montana it seems a bit weak in comparison. Montana may be on the ropes and not in the top 6 in the BS, but they are still a tough opponent. I did not look at the conference standings so it wasn't based on that. That is why I hate the BS and CAA sometimes. It can appear that someone is having a really good year until you find out they didn't have to face some teams. I would love to omit UTC, Samford or Wofford every couple years. Just a different conference environment and perspective. I am not dismissing ND. They had one of the better OOC schedules in FCS and apparently a good BS year as well, albeit without playing two of the perennial power teams.

RootinFerDukes
October 30th, 2016, 04:37 PM
My shot at this week's bracket:

#1 NDSU vs. SDSU/UND winner

#8 Chattanooga vs. Western Illinois/UCA winner

#5 Sam Houston State vs. Montana/San Diego winner

#4 Jacksonville State vs. UNH/Lehigh winner

#3 The Citadel vs. Charleston Southern/Wofford winner

#6 Richmond vs. Villanova/St. Francis PA winner

#7 James Madison vs. Samford/Liberty winner

#2 Eastern Washington vs. Cal Poly/Youngstown St. winner

out:
Stony Brook
Albany
Weber State
South Dakota

The Big South isn't getting two teams in. Pick a team. Only one is getting in.

Gangtackle11
October 30th, 2016, 04:43 PM

Had trouble with that last at-large & considered regional foe.

RootinFerDukes
October 30th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Liberty alone won't have an at-large argument unless they beat CSU and CCU and that likely means they're the Big South champion anyways.
CSU would be 6-3 vs D1 opponents if they lost to Liberty with a Big South schedule. That's hardly a resume worth consideration for an at-large spot.

The Big South is only getting one team in.

BisonTru
October 30th, 2016, 04:52 PM

It's really not that far fetched. Liberty beats CSU and CSU is sitting in the bubble with a decent CCU win and no bad losses. If Liberty loses to CSU, but beats Coastal they would be sitting in the bubble with a good CCU win and no bad losses.

RootinFerDukes
October 30th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Would you be pissed if a 6 or 7 win MVFC, CAA or Big Sky team didn't make the field but a 6-3 vs D1 Big South runner-up CSU made the field? This message board would explode and rightfully so.

BisonTru
October 30th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Would you be pissed if a 6 or 7 win MVFC, CAA or Big Sky team didn't make the field but a 6-3 vs D1 Big South runner-up CSU made the field? This message board would explode and rightfully so.

It really depends on the resumes. The MVFC is looking like they are going to beat up on each other enough that only 4 teams may even have enough wins to qualify. The CAA and Big Sky, the committee is probably looking at their 5th or 6th team vs. the #2 team for the Big South. If the CAA/Big Sky team doesn't have something more impressive than a CCU win or some warts (bad losses) they could be left home, IMO.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 30th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Anyone that has Montana in the playoffs is an idiot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Gangtackle11
October 30th, 2016, 05:17 PM

5-3 with 3 very winnable games left. Interesting. Must be a trap! xeyebrowx

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 30th, 2016, 06:09 PM

A 8-3 Montana team is easily in the playoffs, maybe a 7-4 team depending on others teams records.

mainejeff
October 30th, 2016, 06:32 PM
For those complaining about Maine's conference schedule.....yeah, they missed heavyweights Towson (1-7) & Elon (2-6) this season. Richmond, Villanova & UNH played both of them.xpeacex

Gangtackle11
October 30th, 2016, 06:38 PM
For those complaining about Maine's conference schedule.....yeah, they missed heavyweights Towson (1-7) & Elon (2-6) this season. Richmond, Villanova & UNH played both of them.xpeacex
Correct you are. You get your shot at Villanova this week. That should settle the score with our boys either way.

Glad you are using the Villanova emoticon.

Keep your V up: xpeacex

WileECoyote06
October 30th, 2016, 06:58 PM
It's really not that far fetched. Liberty beats CSU and CSU is sitting in the bubble with a decent CCU win and no bad losses. If Liberty loses to CSU, but beats Coastal they would be sitting in the bubble with a good CCU win and no bad losses.

If they beat either Coastal or Chuck South, they're a lock.

Twentysix
October 30th, 2016, 07:04 PM
If we play like did yesterday for the rest of the season, JSU might get the 1 seed. EIU was a team who beat ISUr (who has played decent in the MVC) but was totally outmatched against JSU.

isur was last place in the mvfc for several weeks.... i don't think some of you even look at games outside of your own conference lol.

Twentysix
October 30th, 2016, 07:05 PM
And isur is currently in 9th place at 2-4.

Edit: Indiana State holds the head to head victory in the tiebreaker for 8th/9th.

Red & Black
October 30th, 2016, 07:07 PM

Iowa is the most impressive win in the FCS this season, hands down...

Debatable, really. Washington St. is now 6-2 and back in the AP Top 25, even after losing to us to open the season. Sagarin also has WSU at #20, Iowa at #33.

JSUSoutherner
October 30th, 2016, 07:08 PM
What if we beat Coastal and Liberty. :D

BigSouthFan
October 30th, 2016, 08:00 PM

I think this is false. Liberty and Charleston Southern have to win out to be in. Period. MAYBEEEEEEEEEE the committee likes the idea of a 7-3 CSU team that lost to two playoff teams and beat a FBS transition team, and won the rest decisevely. But don't count on it. That game will be for all the marbles basically.

Cocky
October 30th, 2016, 08:39 PM
ISUr has only been out of one conference game, NDSU. The other games ISUr has played decent ball and been in the game till the end. YSU had to come back in the fourth to win.

Do you watch your own conference games?

Twentysix
October 30th, 2016, 09:03 PM
ISUr has only been out of one conference game, NDSU. The other games ISUr has played decent ball and been in the game till the end. YSU had to come back in the fourth to win.

Do you watch your own conference games?

Indeed, I do.

To say they are doing good in the MVFC is ridiculous. They were the cellar team for several weeks and have clawed their way to 9th place, Indiana State holds the head to head victory in the tie for 8th/9th.

YSU had to come back in the fourth to win.

lmao it was 6-3. They didn't mount some crazy comeback they were 1 FG off a tie game and ended up winning by two TDs, 20-6.

T

YSU

ILST

Your narrative of EIU being a good team because they beat the MVFCs 9th place team is ridiculous. ISUr has a good win vs SDSU in the MVFC but that is it.

Their lone conference win before the SDSU game was vs SIU who is 0-5 in conference.

If ISUr wins out and gets to 4-4 then you can call it a mediocre win, but at this point they are not a standard bearer.

They could beat Missouri State, but beating WIU will probably be too tall of a task.

2016 MVFC Standings

TEAM
CONF
OVR

North Dakota State
4-1
7-1

Youngstown State
4-1
6-2

South Dakota State
4-1
5-3

Western Illinois
3-2
6-2

South Dakota
3-2
4-4

Northern Iowa
2-3
3-5

Missouri State
2-3
4-4

Indiana State
2-4
4-5

Illinois State
2-4
4-5

Southern Illinois
0-5
2-6

Cocky
October 30th, 2016, 09:48 PM
Decent and good are a little different.

RootinFerDukes
October 30th, 2016, 10:26 PM
The winner of Liberty/Charleston Southern makes the playoffs as the Big South Champ. The loser is out of the playoffs. The at-large field would have to be incredibly weak for either to get in as an at-large.

WileECoyote06
October 30th, 2016, 11:26 PM
What if we beat Coastal and Liberty. :D

I think you're going to finish undefeated against FCS and earn a #1 or #2 seed. There is plenty of precedent that supports my opinion.

mainejeff
October 30th, 2016, 11:37 PM
Correct you are. You get your shot at Villanova this week. That should settle the score with our boys either way.

Glad you are using the Villanova emoticon.

Keep your V up: xpeacex

In fact, Villanova and UNH both played URI, Towson and Elon this season.....combined records: 4-21!

BisonTru
October 31st, 2016, 12:02 AM
My take

Autos - Green
At large - Yellow

Seeds
Play-ins

North Dakota St
Lehigh

North Dakota

Eastern Washington
St. Francis

South Dakota St
1. North Dakota State

Jacksonville St
San Diego

The Citadel
Youngstown St

Villanova
8. James Madison

Richmond
South Dakota St

Youngstown St

Charleston Southern
Sam Houston St

Central Arkansas
Chattanooga

New Hampshire

James Madison
Samford

Lehigh
4. The Citadel

Western Ill

Cal Poly

St. Francis
5. Richmond

Montana

Liberty

North Dakota

Villanova

Liberty

Samford

New Hampshire

Sam Houston St
3. Jacksonville St

Wofford

Western Ill
6. Charleston Southern

Wofford

San Diego

Cal Poly
7. Central Arkansas

Chattanooga
2. Eastern Washington

Montana

First 4 Out:

Weber St.

Stony Brook

Sacred Heart

Tennessee St

Gangtackle11
October 31st, 2016, 12:09 AM
In fact, Villanova and UNH both played URI, Towson and Elon this season.....combined records: 4-21!

....and it means absolutely zippo if Villanova beats Maine this weekend. Nova has played a weaker CAA schedule missing Stony Brook, W&M, & UNH. Is what it is. Maine missed Richmond, Elon, & Towson.

Nova has a top 25 win in Lehigh. Maine? Making a case for either will be a lot clearer on Saturday around 3:30pm.

Nova & Maine have 2 common opponents played to date in URI & Albany. Maine won both games by a total of 11 points & Villanova won both by 46. Not a guarantee, but I believe the better team is Villanova. We'll find out Saturday.

I contend that a 7-4 CAA team or maybe multiple 7-4 CAA teams will be sitting home come playoffs including Maine. I'd plan on winning all 4 left if I was a Maine fan.

Playing a slightly stronger CAA schedule and not winning isn't going to help your case. Beat Nova on Saturday & you can start to think playoffs. Nova needs 8 wins so that's 2 of next 3. IMHO.

Gangtackle11
October 31st, 2016, 05:51 AM
http://nobowls.com/

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 31st, 2016, 06:00 AM

If NDSU, EWU and JSU all end up 10-1, I doubt NDSU is the #3 seed. Good chance they are #1. Better FBS win and head to head over EWU....and much better SOS compared to JSU.

Gangtackle11
October 31st, 2016, 06:29 AM
If NDSU, EWU and JSU all end up 10-1, I doubt NDSU is the #3 seed. Good chance they are #1. Better FBS win and head to head over EWU....and much better SOS compared to JSU.

Agreed.

WileECoyote06
October 31st, 2016, 07:08 AM
I think this is false. Liberty and Charleston Southern have to win out to be in. Period. MAYBEEEEEEEEEE the committee likes the idea of a 7-3 CSU team that lost to two playoff teams and beat a FBS transition team, and won the rest decisevely. But don't count on it. That game will be for all the marbles basically.

Both Liberty and Chuck South have strength ratings that are decent, top 30 range.

If Chuck South loses @Liberty, they will still have six DI wins, a good win @ a ranked Coastal Carolina; while both of their FCS losses would have been on the road to other Top-30 teams (good losses). They'd also have a blowout road win at Monmouth, who has a win over the likely Patriot League champion.

Liberty's resume isn't as sparkly yet, but they are predicted to finish with a Top-20 SOS. A 2-1 finish will punch their ticket, even if they lose to Charleston Southern. They'd defeat a ranked Coastal Carolina team on the road, and also have a convincing win over Monmouth.

Also, the computers and rankings see the Big South as the third best FCS conference so far this year.

kalm
October 31st, 2016, 07:31 AM
Both Liberty and Chuck South have strength ratings that are decent, top 30 range.

If Chuck South loses @Liberty, they will still have six DI wins, a good win @ a ranked Coastal Carolina; while both of their FCS losses would have been on the road to other Top-30 teams (good losses). They'd also have a blowout road win at Monmouth, who has a win over the likely Patriot League champion.

Liberty's resume isn't as sparkly yet, but they are predicted to finish with a Top-20 SOS. A 2-1 finish will punch their ticket, even if they lose to Charleston Southern. They'd defeat a ranked Coastal Carolina team on the road, and also have a convincing win over Monmouth.

Also, the computers and rankings see the Big South as the third best FCS conference so far this year.

The most recent Sagarin has the Big South ranked 6th which seems about right. A 7-4 Liberty is on the bubble. One solid win and no bad losses but it's tough to see them in ahead of an 8-3 Montana, 7-4 Cal Poly, NAU, Weber, or EWU, 7-4 SDSU, WIU, South Dakota, YSU, Maine, Albany, Stony Brook, EIU, UNH, Wofford, or Samford.

milleniumkat
October 31st, 2016, 08:10 AM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161031/7e74ad778f4b9dc5ed1badccdbecd780.jpg

"I'll not be pawed at. I have not yet begun to defile myself"

mainejeff
October 31st, 2016, 08:36 AM
....and it means absolutely zippo if Villanova beats Maine this weekend. Nova has played a weaker CAA schedule missing Stony Brook, W&M, & UNH. Is what it is. Maine missed Richmond, Elon, & Towson.

Nova has a top 25 win in Lehigh. Maine? Making a case for either will be a lot clearer on Saturday around 3:30pm.

Nova & Maine have 2 common opponents played to date in URI & Albany. Maine won both games by a total of 11 points & Villanova won both by 46. Not a guarantee, but I believe the better team is Villanova. We'll find out Saturday.

I contend that a 7-4 CAA team or maybe multiple 7-4 CAA teams will be sitting home come playoffs including Maine. I'd plan on winning all 4 left if I was a Maine fan.

Playing a slightly stronger CAA schedule and not winning isn't going to help your case. Beat Nova on Saturday & you can start to think playoffs. Nova needs 8 wins so that's 2 of next 3. IMHO.

We only have 3 left.

Gangtackle11
October 31st, 2016, 08:43 AM
We only have 3 left.

Need them all most likely. Good luck.

DirtyDukes
October 31st, 2016, 08:51 AM

I'm rooting for y'all, Jeff! I was impressed with your team when we played you and I think you'll go 3-0 and get in.

Nobowls does a "if the season ends today" approach so he ignores future schedules - it changes every week.

Daytripper
October 31st, 2016, 08:55 AM

According to nobowls, somebody is travelling a hell of a long way to play Sam Houston. I hope this is an accurate prediction because it puts UCA potentially against JSU instead of us playing them twice in three weeks.

Twentysix
October 31st, 2016, 09:25 AM
According to nobowls, somebody is travelling a hell of a long way to play Sam Houston. I hope this is an accurate prediction because it puts UCA potentially against JSU instead of us playing them twice in three weeks.

In my experience you will play twice in three weeks.

The committee likes to say **** you, like that.

Twentysix
October 31st, 2016, 09:28 AM
When the committee hands out playoff assignments they go "**** you, **** you, and **** you, and **** you too"

Sat, Nov 10

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2571.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2571/south-dakota-state-jackrabbits)
South Dakota St (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2571/south-dakota-state-jackrabbits)

W
20-17 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/323152449)

9-1 (6-1)

Sat, Dec 1

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2571.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2571/south-dakota-state-jackrabbits)
South Dakota St (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2571/south-dakota-state-jackrabbits)

W
28-3 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/323362449)

11-1 (7-1)

Sat, Nov 1

vs

W
37-17 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400557498)

9-0 (5-0)

Sat, Dec 6

vs

W
27-24 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400609100)

12-1 (7-1)

Sat, Oct 10

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2460.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2460/northern-iowa-panthers)
Northern Iowa (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2460/northern-iowa-panthers)

W
31-28 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400795730)

4-1 (2-0)

Sat, Dec 5

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/149.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/149/montana-grizzlies) (ONLY REASON THIS ISN"T SDSU IS CAUSE THEY LOST VS Montana)
Montana (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/149/montana-grizzlies)

W
37-6 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400854530)

10-2 (7-1)

Sat, Dec 12

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2460.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2460/northern-iowa-panthers)
Northern Iowa (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2460/northern-iowa-panthers)

W
23-13 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400855898)

11-2 (7-1)

WileECoyote06
October 31st, 2016, 09:57 AM
The most recent Sagarin has the Big South ranked 6th which seems about right. A 7-4 Liberty is on the bubble. One solid win and no bad losses but it's tough to see them in ahead of an 8-3 Montana, 7-4 Cal Poly, NAU, Weber, or EWU, 7-4 SDSU, WIU, South Dakota, YSU, Maine, Albany, Stony Brook, EIU, UNH, Wofford, or Samford.

Sagarin has them rated the lowest among any computer ranking. They are number 4 in the Massey; and #3 in the Massey Composite. I prefer Massey since it's predictors are slightly more accurate, and they consider non-DI games.

I agree with about half of your list since it includes several locks; right now I see Liberty as ahead of EIU, South Dakota, Northern Arizona, and Weber State, especially considering the remaining games of the playoff contenders. The strength of the SoCon should help Wofford, even without any quality wins. NAU, Northern Colorado, South Dakota and Weber State have some work to do. Eastern Illinois only has the Miami (OH) game to hang its hat on.

Twentysix
October 31st, 2016, 09:59 AM
Sagarin has them rated the lowest among any computer ranking. They are number 4 in the Massey; and #3 in the Massey Composite. I prefer Massey since it's predictors are slightly more accurate, and they consider non-DI games.

I agree with about half of your list since it includes several locks; right now I see Liberty as ahead of EIU, South Dakota, Northern Arizona, and Weber State, especially considering the remaining games of the playoff contenders. The strength of the SoCon should help Wofford, even without any quality wins. NAU, Northern Colorado, South Dakota and Weber State have some work to do. Eastern Illinois only has the Miami (OH) game to hang its hat on.

at 7-4 USD would have wins over SDSU and NDSU.

nodak651
October 31st, 2016, 10:12 AM
Seriously?
Never seen more than 10k reported attendance so I assumed that was capacity.
At any rate UND is not out bidding SDSU.
This year:
USD - 11,477
Cal Poly - 10,097
Southern Utah - 10,506

jacksfan29
October 31st, 2016, 10:53 AM
Regionalization makes it pretty easy for the committee to be lazy. Of course Stiggy's penchant for not preparing his team for games a couple times per year also helps. Maybe we can drop two more and just stay home. Might be more fun to watch the Whioux or USD go to Fargo.

When the committee hands out playoff assignments they go "**** you, **** you, and **** you, and **** you too"

Sat, Nov 10

vs

W
20-17 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/323152449)

9-1 (6-1)

Sat, Dec 1

vs

W
28-3 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/323362449)

11-1 (7-1)

Sat, Nov 1

vs

W
37-17 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400557498)

9-0 (5-0)

Sat, Dec 6

vs

W
27-24 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400609100)

12-1 (7-1)

Sat, Oct 10

vs

W
31-28 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400795730)

4-1 (2-0)

Sat, Dec 5

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/149.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/149/montana-grizzlies) (ONLY REASON THIS ISN"T SDSU IS CAUSE THEY LOST VS Montana)
Montana (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/149/montana-grizzlies)

W
37-6 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400854530)

10-2 (7-1)

Sat, Dec 12

vs

W
23-13 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400855898)

11-2 (7-1)

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 1st, 2016, 12:09 PM
A 8-3 Montana team is easily in the playoffs, maybe a 7-4 team depending on others teams records.

Sure they will get in with a 7-4 record but they shouldnt, they are not good and shouldnt be in the playoffs even with an 8-3 record.

grizband
November 1st, 2016, 12:51 PM
Iowa isn't absolutely a better FBS win

milleniumkat
November 1st, 2016, 01:35 PM

I love that bracket btw. If you can't be 1, better to be 4 than 2 or 3.

EWU in the butt much cold? I'll take that. Ill take us jamming our RB's at them all day just like 2012. Hopefully for them they have a duel threat QB waiting as a backup in case we go up 35 at the half.

Daytripper
November 1st, 2016, 01:38 PM

EWU in the butt much cold? I'll take that. Ill take us jamming our RB's at them all day just like 2012. Hopefully for them they have a duel threat QB waiting as a backup in case we go up 35 at the half.

This is an unfortunate typo......well, I hope it's a typo.

Professor Chaos
November 1st, 2016, 01:39 PM

A duel threat QB huh.... that would be an interesting 2nd half but I doubt he'd be able to get a weapon onto the field.

Twentysix
November 1st, 2016, 01:40 PM
Pistols, swords, or bitch claws?

melloware13
November 1st, 2016, 02:26 PM
This is what I have right now:

North Dakota @ South Dakota State -> #1 North Dakota State

Central Arkansas @ Western Illinois -> #8 Chattanooga

Villanova @ Liberty -> #4 The Citadel

San Diego @ Cal Poly -> #5 Sam Houston State

Stony Brook @ Montana -> #2 Eastern Washington

Lehigh @ New Hampshire -> #7 Richmond

Charleston Southern @ Samford -> #3 Jacksonville State

St. Francis @ Youngstown State -> #6 James Madison

I considered flipping the first round games into NDSU and EWU, but this guarantees a bus trip into Fargo. If the seeds hold and JMU's band travels, the Quarterfinal in Jacksonville would have a combined total of over 900 marching band members

ST_Lawson
November 1st, 2016, 02:30 PM
Central Arkansas @ Western Illinois -> #8 Chattanooga

Swap it...WIU at UCA. We ain't out-biddin' nobody.

Gangtackle11
November 1st, 2016, 03:10 PM
I'm taking a shot at it again:

#1 NDSU v. Weber St./Montana

#8 Chattanooga v. JMU/Wofford

#4 The Citadel v. Charleston Southern/Samford

#5 SHSU v. WIU/UND

#3 Jacksonville St. v. UCA/Youngstown State

#6 Richmond v. Villanova/St.Francis, Pa.

#7 SDSU v. Cal Poly/San Diego

#2 E.Washington v. UNH/Lehigh

Thumper 76
November 1st, 2016, 03:24 PM
I'm taking a shot at it again:

#8 Chattanooga v. JMU/Wofford

#5 SHSU v. WIU/UND

#3 Jacksonville St. v. UCA/Youngstown State

#6 Richmond v. Villanova/St.Francis, Pa.

#7 SDSU v. Cal Poly/San Diego

#2 E.Washington v. UNH/Lehigh
Wow, I mean I love the idea of SDSU still getting a seed and all but I really have a hard time seeing them getting one unless JMU drops two games, and I just don't see that happening. Otherwise I think its pretty solid.

milleniumkat
November 1st, 2016, 05:14 PM
This is an unfortunate typo......well, I hope it's a typo.

meant to say "butt munch cold" lol.

kab
November 1st, 2016, 05:42 PM
Wow, I mean I love the idea of SDSU still getting a seed and all but I really have a hard time seeing them getting one unless JMU drops two games, and I just don't see that happening. Otherwise I think its pretty solid.

Not sold on montana yet, those darn cats might get in the way

Gangtackle11
November 1st, 2016, 06:07 PM

I went back & forth, but I decided the MVFC was worthy of 2 AQs. Probably could go JMU there.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 1st, 2016, 06:26 PM

Bull**** it isn't. Really easy to armchair QB it now but they were #13 at the time.

grizband
November 1st, 2016, 06:31 PM
Bull**** it isn't. Really easy to armchair QB it now but they were #13 at the time.
Using that logic, Montana can still count UNI as a quality win, since they were ranked top 5 at the time...

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 1st, 2016, 06:56 PM
Using that logic, Montana can still count UNI as a quality win, since they were ranked top 5 at the time...

UNI is a good win. Pretty easy.

grizband
November 1st, 2016, 07:01 PM
UNI is a good win. Pretty easy.
I think it's certainly open for debate.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 1st, 2016, 07:15 PM
I think it's certainly open for debate.

UNI will win out and be a bubble team at 6-5, IMO. 3 winnable games to finish the season.

grizband
November 1st, 2016, 07:20 PM
So it will look like a good win at the end of the season...but it doesn't necessarily right now?

dudeitsaid
November 1st, 2016, 09:14 PM

We learned our lesson. This time he will be starting, so we will destroy you in both halves. Dumb of us not to have VA in the first half of that game, or the results would've been much different.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 1st, 2016, 09:23 PM

So using your logic, it's impossible for a team to be overrated in the preseason. Got it.

FWIW, WSU is 6-2 and rated 20th, whereas Iowa is 5-3 and rated 33rd. Both are good wins, but to say one is absolutely better than another is moronic.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

dudeitsaid
November 1st, 2016, 09:26 PM

The truly good teams are the ones that are highly ranked at the beginning of the season. What happens on the field is just a formality.

MacThor
November 1st, 2016, 10:14 PM
San Diego played Cal Poly this year. While the committee doesn't HAVE to avoid a non-conference re-match, I think they will.

BisonTru
November 1st, 2016, 10:17 PM
San Diego played Cal Poly this year. While the committee doesn't HAVE to avoid a non-conference re-match, I think they will.

The committee is encouraged to avoid non-conference re-matches if it doesn't cause an extra flight. Splitting up Cal-Poly and San Diego would create two extra flights.

MacThor
November 1st, 2016, 10:23 PM
Here's my crack at it. I really struggled with last two in. I didn't want to be a homer and put 5 CAA teams in, but I can see Stony Brook running the table and then there will be 5 CAA teams at 8-3 or better and they'd likely be co-champs. Went with Wofford over Liberty, assuming Charleston Southern beats Liberty.

1) N Dakota St vs UND/SDSU
8) Chattanooga vs JMU/Lehigh
4) Citadel vs Wofford/Charleston Southern
5) Cent Arkansas vs WIU/YSU
6) Richmond vs Stony Brook/St Francis
3) Jacksonville St vs Cal Poly/Samford
7) Sam Houston St vs UNH/Villanova
2) E Washington vs Montana/San Diego

I also think the committee will jump at the chance to pit conference foes that didn't play in the regular season (UNH/VU, WIU/YSU) and set up potential revenge games for seeds in the 2nd round (SBU at UR, SDSU at NDSU)

milleniumkat
November 2nd, 2016, 12:23 AM

So if Nicholls state took Georgia to the brink when they were #9 at the time...does that make no difference to the potential of a young Nicholls team and the fact they were no match for SHSU? I mean to use your logic for Iowa "at the time". Not being a dick, but i don't see how you can't make the argument both ways.

milleniumkat
November 2nd, 2016, 12:24 AM
The truly good teams are the ones that are highly ranked at the beginning of the season. What happens on the field is just a formality.

Sarcasm? lol

JSUSoutherner
November 2nd, 2016, 12:54 AM
So if Nicholls state took Georgia to the brink when they were #9 at the time...does that make no difference to the potential of a young Nicholls team and the fact they were no match for SHSU? I mean to use your logic for Iowa "at the time". Not being a dick, but i don't see how you can't make the argument both ways.
#buttNicholls

milleniumkat
November 2nd, 2016, 12:55 AM
#buttNicholls

Exactly. Now your catching on.

milleniumkat
November 2nd, 2016, 12:59 AM
#buttNicholls

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161102/6c136da7d67271a61422f04bb16a90f6.png

Two close losses to FBS teams including an early season Top 10 SEC.

One loss to McNeese who was "ranked at the time."

One Loss to SHSU #1

So keep on thinking it's the same old Nicholls. They are a very very young team with a true freshmen QB. They have not found their way yet, but i think they could be a playoff team next season.

Nicholls would be the second place team in the OVC, They are 3rd in the SLC.

OVC would be D2 conference without JSU. SLC has routinely at least 3 preseason teams that could make the playoffs.

JSUSoutherner
November 2nd, 2016, 01:03 AM
Exactly. Now your catching on.
I know, I'm digging this transitive property stuff.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161102/a2bd90564c138bfc5f74b32a6f0edbfe.png

milleniumkat
November 2nd, 2016, 01:12 AM
I know, I'm digging this transitive property stuff.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23798&stc=1

Why don't we get down to brass tacks then?

Nicholls state didn't become the joke of the SLC until a certain team from Alabama...who was routinely sub .500 in the SLC (4-3 was best record ever)..that's right folks....Jacksonville State ...decided to try its luck at FBS after getting its teeth kicked in by everyone in the SLC...YOU GOT RUN OUT OF THE SLC!!!!

Muuuuuahahahhaahahahajja!!!

Then you fell on your face, fell back down from FBS to settle in with the rest of us Short Bus Riders.

So yeah if the nation can accept a Dumpster Fire of a program like the Jacksonville State Teams were could rise up, No reason Nicholls State can't do the same. ...After all, Nicholls state used to share the cellar with a bunch of cocks.

kalm
November 2nd, 2016, 07:27 AM

xlolx

F'N Hawks
November 2nd, 2016, 08:10 AM

In that case, the Bowling Green loss should look outstanding for UND! I like this way of thinking.

Big_Fan
November 2nd, 2016, 08:25 AM
Why don't we get down to brass tacks then?

Nicholls state didn't become the joke of the SLC until a certain team from Alabama...who was routinely sub .500 in the SLC (4-3 was best record ever)..that's right folks....Jacksonville State ...decided to try its luck at FBS after getting its teeth kicked in by everyone in the SLC...YOU GOT RUN OUT OF THE SLC!!!!

Then you fell on your face, fell back down from FBS to settle in with the rest of us Short Bus Riders.

So yeah if the nation can accept a Dumpster Fire of a program like the Jacksonville State Teams were could rise up, No reason Nicholls State can't do the same. ...After all, Nicholls state used to share the cellar with a bunch of cocks.

If you want to acknowledge the truth, you would admit what it was... we botched the move to the FCS. I don't deny that we were a dumpster fire when we were in the SFL, but it wasn't due to history or potential. We were a dominant D2 program that made the move and didn't increase our budget. We hired a horrible coach who almost destroyed the program in just over 2 years - he was fired 4 games into his 3rd season. We then hired a washed up coach to stabilize the program and slowly increased the budget. After wallowing in mediocrity with him at the helm, we fired him and hired young and hungry coaches. Now we are competing at the top level in the FCS. We don't have the advantages enjoyed by NDSU, but we have enough of a foundation to be a fixture in the top 10, and maybe pull a title now and then.

That is the full story. In 6 years in the SLC we had 3 coaches and our program was gutted. Our leaving had nothing to do with competitiveness. It had everything to do with the cost of travel and the distances involved. As I said in an earlier post, most of our OVC opponents are 300 miles or less. In the SLC, the closest one was almost 500 miles, with most being 700+... and our other sports had to compete in the equally distant TAAC. The OVC allows for all of our teams to compete in the same conference, and travel is not ridiculous.

We wanted to join the SoCon, and were denied by the private schools... Given that APSU was a fixture in the playoffs, GSU won it all in 2000, Wofford made the semis in '03, and Furman played for it all in 2002...that kind of blows a hole in your theory that we left for competitive reasons. We left because Troy moved up and travel was ridiculous. Samford joined the OVC and we joined them...they then jumped to the SoCon, and we were stuck in the OVC. Honestly, while the SoCon might take us now, we probably wouldn't go due to getting shunned last time. Most of us would love to be in the SoCon if given the choice... but that isn't going to happen. It is either sit in the OVC, or move to the FBS if an invite comes down...which is why we expanded our stadium, updated our basketball arena, and are about to build a top notch baseball park.

You can believe it or keep spewing venom. Whatever.

milleniumkat
November 2nd, 2016, 05:33 PM
If you want to acknowledge the truth, you would admit what it was... we botched the move to the FCS. I don't deny that we were a dumpster fire when we were in the SFL, but it wasn't due to history or potential. We were a dominant D2 program that made the move and didn't increase our budget. We hired a horrible coach who almost destroyed the program in just over 2 years - he was fired 4 games into his 3rd season. We then hired a washed up coach to stabilize the program and slowly increased the budget. After wallowing in mediocrity with him at the helm, we fired him and hired young and hungry coaches. Now we are competing at the top level in the FCS. We don't have the advantages enjoyed by NDSU, but we have enough of a foundation to be a fixture in the top 10, and maybe pull a title now and then.

That is the full story. In 6 years in the SLC we had 3 coaches and our program was gutted. Our leaving had nothing to do with competitiveness. It had everything to do with the cost of travel and the distances involved. As I said in an earlier post, most of our OVC opponents are 300 miles or less. In the SLC, the closest one was almost 500 miles, with most being 700+... and our other sports had to compete in the equally distant TAAC. The OVC allows for all of our teams to compete in the same conference, and travel is not ridiculous.

We wanted to join the SoCon, and were denied by the private schools... Given that APSU was a fixture in the playoffs, GSU won it all in 2000, Wofford made the semis in '03, and Furman played for it all in 2002...that kind of blows a hole in your theory that we left for competitive reasons. We left because Troy moved up and travel was ridiculous. Samford joined the OVC and we joined them...they then jumped to the SoCon, and we were stuck in the OVC. Honestly, while the SoCon might take us now, we probably wouldn't go due to getting shunned last time. Most of us would love to be in the SoCon if given the choice... but that isn't going to happen. It is either sit in the OVC, or move to the FBS if an invite comes down...which is why we expanded our stadium, updated our basketball arena, and are about to build a top notch baseball park.

Don't ask me to listen to reason at this point.

CID1990
November 2nd, 2016, 07:06 PM

People always blame the small private schools.

But that's a convenient excuse. JSU wasn't a good fit due to APR reasons, something the SoCon takes seriously. For this same reason the Big South schools think the SoCon is snobbish. Their best school in terms of APR would be in the basement in the same category in the SoCon. So be it.

APR is important to us because we don't like recruiting students and then competing with schools who will take athletes we cannot for academic reasons. If JSU's APR was higher then they wouldn't have had to ask- the SoCon would have come knocking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
November 2nd, 2016, 07:34 PM
Sure they will get in with a 7-4 record but they shouldnt, they are not good and shouldnt be in the playoffs even with an 8-3 record.

they will look pretty good vs First Round cup cake though

Big_Fan
November 2nd, 2016, 07:37 PM
People always blame the small private schools.

But that's a convenient excuse. JSU wasn't a good fit due to APR reasons, something the SoCon takes seriously. For this same reason the Big South schools think the SoCon is snobbish. Their best school in terms of APR would be in the basement in the same category in the SoCon. So be it.

APR is important to us because we don't like recruiting students and then competing with schools who will take athletes we cannot for academic reasons. If JSU's APR was higher then they wouldn't have had to ask- the SoCon would have come knocking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There was no such thing as APR in 2002. It began in 2004. Nice try though. JSU didn't have any academic issues in the athletics department until 2008. The only thing that kept us out of the socon was being a public university.

The private schools blocked us, regardless of why.

jmufan999
November 2nd, 2016, 07:51 PM
i want to see Citadel vs. EWU. would be fascinating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kalm
November 2nd, 2016, 07:58 PM

Agreed. You'll see a couple of things similar this week as the #1 passing offense (EWU) faces the #1 rushing offense (Poly) and the #2 passing offense (Samford) faces the #2 rushing offense (The Citadel).

You can find other interesting points such as this by listening in to the FCS Wedge Podcast....:D

NDSUtk
November 2nd, 2016, 09:20 PM
Jacksonville State ...decided to try its luck at FBS after getting its teeth kicked in by everyone in the SLC...YOU GOT RUN OUT OF THE SLC!!!!

Jacksonville State used to be in FBS? Didn't know that.

caribbeanhen
November 2nd, 2016, 09:29 PM

great game, throw in Sammy vs JMU for the night cap

Red & Black
November 2nd, 2016, 09:59 PM

Agreed. Waiting for someone to explain how Iowa is a better win when WSU is in the AP Top 25 now?

grizband
November 2nd, 2016, 10:22 PM
Agreed. Waiting for someone to explain how Iowa is a better win when WSU is in the AP Top 25 now?
Their logic is Iowa was higher ranked, than Washington State was when EWU beat them

BisonTru
November 2nd, 2016, 10:30 PM
Washington State is the better FBS win.

UNHWildcat18
November 2nd, 2016, 10:59 PM
Modified my bracket to reflect seeding change error I made. Taking out SDSU & adding JMU to seeds.

#8 Chattanooga v. Youngstown St./Wofford

#5 SHSU v. Cal Poly/San Diego

#3 Jacksonville St. v. UCA/WIU

#6 Richmond v. UNH/Lehigh

#7 JMU v. Villanova/St.Francis, Pa.

#2 E.Washington v. SDSU/UND

I don't think both CAA teams not seeded will go to seeded CAA teams in the second round..

Gangtackle11
November 2nd, 2016, 11:01 PM
I don't think both CAA teams not seeded will go to seeded CAA teams in the second round..

Yes. You are right. They won't put the 4 CAA teams in the same side after last year's outcry. Good catch.

Gangtackle11
November 2nd, 2016, 11:05 PM
Modified my bracket to reflect seeding change error I made. Taking out SDSU & adding JMU to seeds. Also put CAA teams in both sides of brackets.

#8 Chattanooga v. Villanova/St.Francis, Pa.

#7 JMU v. Youngstown St./Wofford

CHIP72
November 2nd, 2016, 11:10 PM
Washington State is the better FBS win.

And it is possible that could change again.

Really though, the key result is NDSU edging EWU in their head-to-head matchup, albeit with NDSU having the advantage of playing that game at home.

JaxSinfonian
November 2nd, 2016, 11:24 PM

A lot of people don't know that. Because it's not true. Not sure what this Kat is smoking. JSU's last season in the Southland was 2002, and the first year in the OVC was 2003. Been there ever since.

Now, it is true that JSU's years in the SFL, as it was known then, were terrible. And history matters deeply, of course, in thinking about the current season. Naturally, the more recent the history, the more it matters. So, the most important thing to remember is ...

62-10.

The Pud
November 3rd, 2016, 01:17 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161031/7e74ad778f4b9dc5ed1badccdbecd780.jpg

LOL!!! This is funny, but true!!!

Chattanooga is another team that has a tough schedule, NOT! LOL!!

The Pud
November 3rd, 2016, 01:19 AM
I believe the Southland Conference will have two teams in the playoffs: No. 1 Sammy of course, then UCA.

Lehigh'98
November 3rd, 2016, 06:17 AM
Modified my bracket to reflect seeding change error I made. Taking out SDSU & adding JMU to seeds. Also put CAA teams in both sides of brackets.

#8 Chattanooga v. Villanova/St.Francis, Pa.

#7 JMU v. Youngstown St./Wofford

Is UNH even going to get in at 7-4 with their best win either Stony Brook or Albany?

Gangtackle11
November 3rd, 2016, 06:29 AM
Is UNH even going to get in at 7-4 with their best win either Stony Brook or Albany?

Decent chance they are 8-3 with 2 games left vs. Albany & @ Maine and sitting at 6-3 currently.

I think its a tough putt for any/all CAA teams to get in @ 7-4 unless Richmond & JMU are the only 8+ wins CAA teams. CAA will get a 7-4 team if only JMU & Richmond have 8 and I think Stony Brook is the best of the lot at that point followed by Maine, Villanova, UNH, Albany in no particular order currently.

Villanova is the team with the next best chance at 8 wins with @ Maine, JMU, @ Delaware. They need 2 of 3. UNH needs both games left while Maine, Stony Brook, & Albany need 3 game sweeps to get to 8.

UNH AD sits on selection committee, but we know that doesn't mean anything. xpeacex

kalm
November 3rd, 2016, 06:59 AM
Decent chance they are 8-3 with 2 games left vs. Albany & @ Maine and sitting at 6-3 currently.

I think its a tough putt for any/all CAA teams to get in @ 7-4 unless Richmond & JMU are the only 8+ wins CAA teams. CAA will get a 7-4 team if only JMU & Richmond have 8 and I think Stony Brook is the best of the lot at that point followed by Maine, Villanova, UNH, Albany in no particular order currently.

Villanova is the team with the next best chance at 8 wins with @ Maine, JMU, @ Delaware. They need 2 of 3. UNH needs both games left while Maine, Stony Brook, & Albany need 3 game sweeps to get to 8.

UNH AD sits on selection committee, but we know that doesn't mean anything. xpeacex

I don't think JMU and Richmond's record will have anything to with it.

With a blow out win over Richmond, the win against a UND which could end up top 10, and a win against either Maine or Albany, I think Stony Brook can lose one more.

Same for Albany who would have wins over Buffalo, St. Francis, and either UNH or SB.

Maine has a win over Albany, no bad losses and would pick up two more quality wins over Nova, SB, or UNH. Bubble but I still think they're in.

Nova has wins over Lehigh and Albany, but would lose 2 of its last 3 to finish 7-4. Perhaps a bit more on the bubble than the other three.

Obviously, the quality wins can diminish a bit depending on how teams finish.

Gangtackle11
November 3rd, 2016, 07:31 AM
I don't think JMU and Richmond's record will have anything to with it.

With a blow out win over Richmond, the win against a UND which could end up top 10, and a win against either Maine or Albany, I think Stony Brook can lose one more.

Same for Albany who would have wins over Buffalo, St. Francis, and either UNH or SB.

Maine has a win over Albany, no bad losses and would pick up two more quality wins over Nova, SB, or UNH. Bubble but I still think they're in.

Nova has wins over Lehigh and Albany, but would lose 2 of its last 3 to finish 7-4. Perhaps a bit more on the bubble than the other three.

Obviously, the quality wins can diminish a bit depending on how teams finish.

Richmond & JMU are in even with a unexpected collapse.

I think if any of the other teams get to 8 wins they also will be in. I think Villanova has the best chance to 8 wins, UNH next, then SB, Maine,& Albany in no particular order.

Nova gets to 8 with JMU & Richmond then the others may be in trouble at 7-4 given the how the other bubble teams perform. My point was if there are only 2 CAA teams @ 8 wins then its much more likely only 1, outside chance 2 7-4 CAA teams get in. This conference will either have 3 maybe 4 teams in.

kalm
November 3rd, 2016, 07:41 AM
Richmond & JMU are in even with a unexpected collapse.

I think if any of the other teams get to 8 wins they also will be in. I think Villanova has the best chance to 8 wins, UNH next, then SB, Maine,& Albany in no particular order.

Nova gets to 8 with JMU & Richmond then the others may be in trouble at 7-4 given the how the other bubble teams perform. My point was if there are only 2 CAA teams @ 8 wins then its much more likely only 1 outside chance 2 7-4 CAA teams get in. This conference will either have 3 maybe 4 teams in.

I'm not sure it works that way. The committee has claimed in the past that it boils down to comparing resumes rather than conference affiliation. If a 7-4 Maine has a better resume than an a 7-4 NAU, they get in regardless of how many teams finished with 8 + wins in the CAA.

Gangtackle11
November 3rd, 2016, 07:49 AM
I'm not sure it works that way. The committee has claimed in the past that it boils down to comparing resumes rather than conference affiliation. If a 7-4 Maine has a better resume than an a 7-4 NAU, they get in regardless of how many teams finished with 8 + wins in the CAA.

I get that. I'm just not making myself clear. I think the 7-4 CAA teams will have issues with most other 7-4 teams from other conferences, but if you think differently than that's great! The more the merrier!

I'm of the opinion that CAA teams not at 8-3 will get picked off in the end. Hope Im wrong. That said I think we will have 3 teams with 8 or more wins. My choices are Richmond, JMU, Villanova, & possibly UNH.

smallcollegefbfan
November 3rd, 2016, 08:43 AM
It really depends on the resumes. The MVFC is looking like they are going to beat up on each other enough that only 4 teams may even have enough wins to qualify. The CAA and Big Sky, the committee is probably looking at their 5th or 6th team vs. the #2 team for the Big South. If the CAA/Big Sky team doesn't have something more impressive than a CCU win or some warts (bad losses) they could be left home, IMO.

Which is sad because right now you can say about the MVFC what we use to say about the CAA and that is that 5-6 teams probably are among the top 25 teams in FCS right now.

This is going to be interesting.

CockyGeek
November 3rd, 2016, 09:06 AM
Never even close. He's still mad over that 62-10 beatdown last year.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

BisonTru
November 3rd, 2016, 09:32 AM
Which is sad because right now you can say about the MVFC what we use to say about the CAA and that is that 5-6 teams probably are among the top 25 teams in FCS right now.

This is going to be interesting.

Yeah we give YSU a lot of flack for always having usually at least two cupcake opponents in their OOC schedule, and that has certainly hurt them in the past for playoff consideration. Now, we are at a point where the conference slate is so tough that that schedule is ideal for playoff contention. On the flip side UNI will probably be sitting at home with three really close games against two playoff teams and an FBS in their OOC.

mainejeff
November 3rd, 2016, 09:36 AM
I think that it's pretty comical that some feel that Maine at 7-4 would not get in because.......

* Maine would be 7-1 in their last 8 games.
* Maine would be 6-2 in the CAA....likely tied for the second best record in the league.
* Maine would be 2-1 vs. 3 current Top 25 teams in their last 3 games.

I stand by my prediction that Maine will be in at 7-4.......and heading to 8-3 UNH (if they beat Maine) for a first round playoff game.

Gangtackle11
November 3rd, 2016, 09:44 AM
I think that it's pretty comical that some feel that Maine at 7-4 would not get in because.......

* Maine would be 7-1 in their last 8 games.
* Maine would be 6-2 in the CAA....likely tied for the second best record in the league.
* Maine would be 2-1 vs. 3 current Top 25 teams in their last 3 games.

I stand by my prediction that Maine will be in at 7-4.......and heading to 8-3 UNH (if they beat Maine) for a first round playoff game.

Well don't count your chickens just yet because you might just lose to the favorite this weekend (Villanova -6 1/2) & if you lose that along with UNH then it's time to hit Freeport for some early holiday shopping.

Maine has beaten 1 team with a winning record in their streak (Albany 5-3 by the slim margin of 20-16) I watched Villanova dominate Albany that mustered 2 meaningless 4th quarter TD to make the final 24-13.

Villanova knows this is a huge game & tough place to play. Your recent win streak has their attention for sure.

BTW the committee is avoiding all conference rematches in the 1st round. If it happens the way you want you'll be somewhere other than UNH.

Good luck.

mainejeff
November 3rd, 2016, 10:22 AM
Well don't count your chickens just yet because you might just lose to the favorite this weekend (Villanova -6 1/2) & if you lose that along with UNH then it's time to hit Freeport for some early holiday shopping.

Maine has beaten 1 team with a winning record in their streak (Albany 5-3 by the slim margin of 20-16) I watched Villanova dominate Albany that mustered 2 meaningless 4th quarter TD to make the final 24-13.

Villanova knows this is a huge game & tough place to play. Your recent win streak has their attention for sure.

BTW the committee is avoiding all conference rematches in the 1st round. If it happens the way you want you'll be somewhere other than UNH.

Good luck.

Nova is very lucky that they have that early season win vs. Lehigh because you have no signature wins thus far......unless that you are arguing that Albany is a nice win......then Maine's win vs. Albany is as well......can't have it both ways.

And stop moving the goalposts.......yeah, we all know that if Maine loses 2 of 3 and finishes 6-5 then they are not getting a bid (duh!).

Gangtackle11
November 3rd, 2016, 12:29 PM
Maybe lucky, but Villanova knows 7-4 isn't going to get it done for them. The Cats are looking at 8-3 & hopefully that starts in Orono.

There is a potential glut of 7-4 teams & maybe a 6-5 UNI lurking out there. Past years 6-2 & 7-4 may get the Black Bears in, but I'd sure be worried especially if whomever you beat in the 2 wins doesn't finish strong.

Love to have Maine or any other CAA team get in at 7-4, but it won't surprise me if you are disappointed.

As for Lehigh. We beat them. 'That's all that matters. Got to go. I have some goal posts to move.

See ya Saturday.

Lehigh'98
November 3rd, 2016, 02:17 PM
Maybe lucky, but Villanova knows 7-4 isn't going to get it done for them. The Cats are looking at 8-3 & hopefully that starts in Orono.

There is a potential glut of 7-4 teams & maybe a 6-5 UNI lurking out there. Past years 6-2 & 7-4 may get the Black Bears in, but I'd sure be worried especially if whomever you beat in the 2 wins doesn't finish strong.

Love to have Maine or any other CAA team get in at 7-4, but it won't surprise me if you are disappointed.

As for Lehigh. We beat them. 'That's all that matters. Got to go. I have some goal posts to move.

See ya Saturday.

Is the committee looking to avoid a potential rematch in rd1 for Nova/Lehigh or is that still in play?

BisonTru
November 3rd, 2016, 02:20 PM
Is the committee looking to avoid a potential rematch in rd1 for Nova/Lehigh or is that still in play?

They are discouraged, but allowed if it doesn't create an extra plane trip. It should be an unlikely rematch considering the Northeast area should have plenty of bus-able opponents to choose from.

JaxSinfonian
November 3rd, 2016, 07:27 PM
A thought: (Sorry if it's been expressed elsewhere already.) The release of the committee's rankings for the final three weeks may have an interesting effect on the several outlets that publish bracket projections. Now all will need to start with the committee's rankings, adjust based on each prognosticator's feelings about wins and losses over the next three weeks, and attempt to predict slots 11 through 24.

The Pud
November 3rd, 2016, 10:08 PM
As expected, it looks like Sammy will have either No. 1 or No. 2 seed at the end of year based on committee rankings released today.

UNHWildcat18
November 3rd, 2016, 10:51 PM
Yeah we give YSU a lot of flack for always having usually at least two cupcake opponents in their OOC schedule, and that has certainly hurt them in the past for playoff consideration. Now, we are at a point where the conference slate is so tough that that schedule is ideal for playoff contention. On the flip side UNI will probably be sitting at home with three really close games against two playoff teams and an FBS in their OOC.

Hopefully the UNI fans don't burn my house down for this but I have no sympathy for UNI anymore. Year after year its been "UNI is a really good team" and they are no doubt a 5-6 UNI this year beats most teams in other conferences except for the top, but holy **** take care of ****ing business. They failed to seal the deal vs Montana and EWU, lost to south Dakota and YSU NDSU in close games. I know people talk about cupcake OOC's (which they didn't have) and easy conferences (which they aren't in) but they have failed to close games in league and out of league play the last few years and deserve to miss the playoffs. I know SOS is a big part but take care of business and get the W. Doing what it takes to get the W's get you in the playoffs.

UNHWildcat18
November 3rd, 2016, 10:55 PM

See ya Saturday.

I see JMU UR and Nova getting in at 8-3 or better. I think UNH or Umaine will win out to be 8-3 and will be the 4th team
Only see a 5th team of UNH UMaine or SBU if other conferences have a few upsets at the top that brings teams down to 7-4 or 6-5

mainejeff
November 4th, 2016, 08:05 AM
I see JMU UR and Nova getting in at 8-3 or better. I think UNH or Umaine will win out to be 8-3 and will be the 4th team
Only see a 5th team of UNH UMaine or SBU if other conferences have a few upsets at the top that brings teams down to 7-4 or 6-5

Maine has the best shot to get in at 7-4 simply due to their season ending schedule. Both UNH and Stony Brook likely need to win out to get in.

A loss to Albany or Maine likely knocks UNH out because both of those teams are still fighting for a playoff spot and would trump UNH if either beat the Wildcats head to head and end up 7-4.

Stony Brook is in a similar position....W&M, Maine and Albany left. A loss to any of them probably leaves them out at 7-4....although they do have impressive early wins over North Dakota and Richmond.

Where Maine has a slight advantage is they end with Villanova, Stony Brook and UNH. A loss to Villanova is probably least damaging as they will most likely finish 9-2 or 8-3 and secure CAA bid #3. If Maine loses to Nova I predict that the last 2 weeks will be elimination games......Maine @ Stony Brook eliminates one of them......and then a possible elimination game for UNH @ Maine.

Ironically, UNH fans should root for Maine over the next 2 weeks because the Black Bears could knock off 2 teams (Nova and Stony Brook) fighting for playoff spots.....plus beating or losing to a 7-3 Maine team in the season finale would be much more impressive than beating or losing to a 6-4 or 5-5 squad.

Gangtackle11
November 4th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Maine has the best shot to get in at 7-4 simply due to their season ending schedule. Both UNH and Stony Brook likely need to win out to get in.

A loss to Albany or Maine likely knocks UNH out because both of those teams are still fighting for a playoff spot and would trump UNH if either beat the Wildcats head to head and end up 7-4.

Stony Brook is in a similar position....W&M, Maine and Albany left. A loss to any of them probably leaves them out at 7-4....although they do have impressive early wins over North Dakota and Richmond.

Where Maine has a slight advantage is they end with Villanova, Stony Brook and UNH. A loss to Villanova is probably least damaging as they will most likely finish 9-2 or 8-3 and secure CAA bid #3. If Maine loses to Nova I predict that the last 2 weeks will be elimination games......Maine @ Stony Brook eliminates one of them......and then a possible elimination game for UNH @ Maine.

Ironically, UNH fans should root for Maine over the next 2 weeks because the Black Bears could knock off 2 teams (Nova and Stony Brook) fighting for playoff spots.....plus beating or losing to a 7-3 Maine team in the season finale would be much more impressive than beating or losing to a 6-4 or 5-5 squad.

A Villanova loss @Maine will make a 8 win season problematic because it means that the 'Cats will have to beat JMU next week.

The path to 8-3 with least resistance is wins @Maine & @Delaware. That is why I believe Villanova will come to play tomorrow. This is a important game that the Cats see as a must win whether it is or not.

ngineer
November 4th, 2016, 04:12 PM

Good luck.

Welcome to Goodman Stadium!xsmiley_wix

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 5th, 2016, 03:39 PM
What would it take for St. Francis to have a home playoff game?

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2016, 03:42 PM

Outbid your opponent and don't be against a seed.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 5th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Outbid your opponent and don't be against a seed.
Would the committee take a variety of baked goods?

Would the committee take a variety of baked goods, instead of cash?

Thumper 76
November 5th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Would the committee take a variety of baked goods, instead of cash?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161105/dfc2589f09dbdb3f369db32b35b5e487.jpg

aceinthehole
November 5th, 2016, 03:54 PM

A very strong bid in cooperation with the NEC. Wagner has hosted before, so it's not impossible, but Colgate was the PL playoff team.

My prediction is Saint Francis will travel to Lehigh for the first round.

KnightoftheRedFlash
November 5th, 2016, 03:56 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161105/dfc2589f09dbdb3f369db32b35b5e487.jpg

We have a lot of spirit, but not a lot of cash.

A very strong bid in cooperation with the NEC. Wagner has hosted before, so it's not impossible, but Colgate was the PL playoff team.

My prediction is Saint Francis will travel to Lehigh for the first round.
That is not too bad. A nearby trip.

CockyGeek
November 5th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Wrong thread