PDA

View Full Version : Rhode Island football

Eight Legger
October 29th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Make it stop, please. Why does this program exist? One season with more than three wins since 2006. Terrible facilities. Who keeps throwing money down this black hole, and why haven't the taxpayers of the state rebelled yet? Their time in the CAA should be up. It's a joke. Pull the plug.

Are there any Rhody fans here who can explain to me what is going on?

Gangtackle11
October 29th, 2016, 06:02 PM
I think the move they contemplated into the 40 scholly NEC is probably the right move.

The score is embarrassing to both teams. I guess JMU coach must have a bonus for running it up on defenseless opponents.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2016, 06:03 PM
JMU 84 URI 7 Final

They should have went to the NEC. They can't compete in the CAA. At least they would have punchers chance in that league...

Eight Legger
October 29th, 2016, 06:05 PM
This year was the first year they've beaten Brown in the past 6 years. At some point, enough is enough. If you can't make it work at a big state school at this level, kill it.

grayghost06
October 29th, 2016, 06:12 PM
JMU running back ripped off a 20 yard gain and purposely went down on the 1 yard line. They then took four kneel downs in order NOT to score. This occurred with 9 minutes left.

jmufan999
October 29th, 2016, 06:52 PM
JMU running back ripped off a 20 yard gain and purposely went down on the 1 yard line. They then took four kneel downs in order NOT to score. This occurred with 9 minutes left.

this.

great when opposing fans look at a box score and form opinions based on it, especially when watching the game is FREE ON JMU'S WEBSITE. we went out of our way to not score on 1st and goal. don't blame us for playing a god-awful team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmiller_34
October 29th, 2016, 06:54 PM

Holy ****

BisonFan02
October 29th, 2016, 06:55 PM

...........what? xlolx

bonarae
October 29th, 2016, 06:58 PM
Why are you convincing to stop Rhody's program? Look at the HBCUs. They still exist despite a litany of problems surrounding funding and reputation.

Go...gate
October 29th, 2016, 07:06 PM
This year was the first year they've beaten Brown in the past 6 years. At some point, enough is enough. If you can't make it work at a big state school at this level, kill it.

Someone should say that to Rutgers, too.

Eight Legger
October 29th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Why are you convincing to stop Rhody's program? Look at the HBCUs. They still exist despite a litany of problems surrounding funding and reputation.

True, but at least they are relatively at the same level as each other. Rhody has not been playing at a CAA level in more than a decade. I can't fathom why they would continue to sink money into this shipwreck year after year. Move down to a lower level if you are hellbent on keeping the program.

To be clear here, I don't fault JMU at all for winning by so much. The game is 60 minutes long. A team should not have to let up just because its opponent is inept. The fact that JMU won by 77 doesn't reflect negatively on them at all, in my book.

hebmskebm
October 29th, 2016, 07:21 PM
HBCU's also draw big (for this level) crowds. URI does not.

jmufan999
October 29th, 2016, 07:28 PM
To be clear here, I don't fault JMU at all for winning by so much. The game is 60 minutes long. A team should not have to let up just because its opponent is inept. The fact that JMU won by 77 doesn't reflect negatively on them at all, in my book.

thank you, especially when we went out of our way not to score with 9 minutes left. even if we hadn't, who cares? the "ran up the score" argument is such a ridiculously whiny/hypersensitive argument. you'll NEVER hear me say that if JMU gets blown out. that's what babies say. you'll hear me say, "it's our job to stop them, and we didn't."

DFW HOYA
October 29th, 2016, 07:29 PM
HBCU's also draw big (for this level) crowds. URI does not.

Not all do. Howard drew 453 for its game with Monmouth.

http://www.hubison.com/boxscore.aspx?path=football&id=4485

ElCid
October 29th, 2016, 07:42 PM
thank you, especially when we went out of our way not to score with 9 minutes left. even if we hadn't, who cares? the "ran up the score" argument is such a ridiculously whiny/hypersensitive argument. you'll NEVER hear me say that if JMU gets blown out. that's what babies say. you'll hear me say, "it's our job to stop them, and we didn't."

At least tell me you didn't have your starters in.

We faced something similar today with ETSU, but I think we had only two plays in the entire second half where one of our starting ball carriers (running back) took a play. The QB sat out and let the #2 get all the reps. Defense got a little more but lots of subs in there.

Not saying that teams should always do that, but I think their is a limit. Unless the starters need the work.

HailSzczur
October 29th, 2016, 07:53 PM
Not saying that teams should always do that, but I think their is a limit. Unless the starters need the work.

JMU was at home here, but sometimes on the road there's only so deep you can dive into the bench because they all aren't dressed. I was up at Nova/Lafayette and we had a good 25 freshmen and walkons standing around in sweats. In a home blow out you can really empty the bench, but not on the road.

Back in 2014 we beat Fordham 50-6 and they got mad saying we ran the score up. Meanwhile the last TD was scored by the 5th string freshman RB on his 1st career carry. The 6th string senior walk on rushed for 2 first downs with under 4 minutes to go.

I mean at some point you have to hold the losing team accountable for the embarrassment too. Sometimes you need some context to show quite how bad a team was.

UNHWildcat18
October 29th, 2016, 07:55 PM
I think URI will be better in another year or two, it was hard coming back from the NEC cutting scholarships then changing coaches, adding on horrible seasons during that time its tough to recruit.

KPSUL
October 29th, 2016, 08:12 PM

That is even worse, At that point, I'd prefer he run it in to score and make it 90. That just looks like he's toying, or f_ _ _ing with them.
JMU already had 84 points. There are more subtle ways to keep the score down, but those decisions would have to be made at around 50 or 60 points; you can't wait until you've got 84. Go Richmond!

Eight Legger
October 29th, 2016, 08:26 PM

Agreed. No one owes it to a terrible team to show "good sportsmanship" by trying not to score. Give me a break. Score as much as you can. If the other team sucks, that's on them. I have said the same thing when we get blown out, too. It's our fault. Stop them from scoring or shut the hell up about it. I don't get the "no class" garbage.

superman7515
October 29th, 2016, 08:49 PM
Rhode Island football continues for one reason, and one reason only; so that I have a reason to stop here every other year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z3VCC5XI6U

caribbeanhen
October 29th, 2016, 09:39 PM

they should of just envoked the merci rule if that's what it came to

Pinnum
October 29th, 2016, 10:16 PM
Rhode Island should join fellow A10 schools Davidson and Dayton in the Pioneer Football League.

I am of the belief that they don't get much utility out of their scholarships and wouldn't see much of a drop off in talent if they went non-scholarship. They would have a competitive schedule and be able to find some success.

dgtw
October 29th, 2016, 10:35 PM
I think stopping on the one yard line is a slap in the face to the other team. I wouldn't run the score up on purpose, but that just looks like you are mocking them.

I agree there is only so much you can do. But I'd tell the quarterback not to take the snap until there were about five seconds left on the play clock. Run the ball every time. If they can't tackle you, that's their problem.

Did they not use a fast clock in the second half? Are there guidelines to implement this?

RootinFerDukes
October 29th, 2016, 10:35 PM
First off, some of you need to quit your whining about running up the score.
If you don't like it, then stop us. It's that simple.
If you're getting your ass beat, it's no one's fault but your own.

Everyone around me at the game agreed it was actually more embarrassing to drive to the one yard line and then go into the victory formation with 1st and goal instead of just scoring the 91st point. JMU easily could've dropped over 100 points tonight. We were milking the clock too.
I can honesty say that non-scholly morehead state and nec team CCSU put up bigger fights then even this URI team.
Their lone score was a kickoff return for 99.5 yards and our defense shut them out. I haven't seen the stats but I think we held them under 100 yards of offense. It wouldn't surprise me.
Their QB was sacked more times then I could remember. He threw 5 INTs and 2 pick sixes for the second consecutive week.

aceinthehole
October 29th, 2016, 10:53 PM
Agreed. CCSU is really struggling this year. We are 1-6 on the season and our only win was vs. D-II Bowie State, and we still put up a fight against JMU this year losing 56-21.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 30th, 2016, 01:13 AM
they should of just envoked the merci rule if that's what it came to

What can you say? URI shows far more class than ODU.

PAllen
October 30th, 2016, 03:57 AM
At least tell me you didn't have your starters in.

We faced something similar today with ETSU, but I think we had only two plays in the entire second half where one of our starting ball carriers (running back) took a play. The QB sat out and let the #2 get all the reps. Defense got a little more but lots of subs in there.

Agreed. If your third string is in (which it should be long before that point), let them score. They've practiced just as hard if not harder than the starters to get on that field. Now if it's your starting QB throwing his 10th TD to a starting WR, we have a problem.

PAllen
October 30th, 2016, 04:03 AM
I think stopping on the one yard line is a slap in the face to the other team. I wouldn't run the score up on purpose, but that just looks like you are mocking them.

I agree there is only so much you can do. But I'd tell the quarterback not to take the snap until there were about five seconds left on the play clock. Run the ball every time. If they can't tackle you, that's their problem.

Did they not use a fast clock in the second half? Are there guidelines to implement this?

Both coaches must agree to shorten the game, then the clock runs as normal, but the quarters can be shortened to whatever amount is agreed to by the coaches. That said, in a game like this, a good clock operator will have a "clock malfunction" which causes the clock to be kept on the field. Then that clock will run a lot faster. Plus, every run out of bounds will be called stopped for forward progress, and first downs will be blown inro play as soon as the ball is even close to being spotted. Both of those have been happening in the Lehigh games over the previous weeks.

DFW HOYA
October 30th, 2016, 06:57 AM
Plus, every run out of bounds will be called stopped for forward progress, and first downs will be blown inro play as soon as the ball is even close to being spotted. Both of those have been happening in the Lehigh games over the previous weeks.

In which games?

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 30th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Is RI fully funded at 63 scholarships?

Little Stevie
October 30th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Bison-not sure on the 63,but close.Has nothing to do with attendance.
The say you have to get kids from winning HS programs-Rhodys 3 QBs this year are from Don Bosco,Brockton and St. Joes/Gunnery school.
So, don't know what to say about recruiting. All are very raw except maybe kid from Brockton who is out for year with injury.
Vazzano has thrown more tds to opposition than own team. 4 for 25 for 40 yards and the requisite 5 picks.
Truly a blacksmiths touch. Lets see what happens against Elon and Towson.

RootinFerDukes
October 30th, 2016, 08:12 AM
One stat reflects something I've never seen before in college football.

URI QB Vazzano threw five INTs, compared to just four pass completions. URI was -6 in the TO margin yesterday.

I've never seen a football team go into victory formation with nine minutes remaining.

JMU broke the program record for most points scored in a game at 84. It should've been at least 91. The prior record was set in week 1 of this season vs morehead state.

mainejeff
October 30th, 2016, 08:28 AM
URI should have dropped football long ago and developed an ice hockey program.

Terry2889
October 30th, 2016, 08:58 AM
First off, some of you need to quit your whining about running up the score.
If you don't like it, then stop us. It's that simple.
If you're getting your ass beat, it's no one's fault but your own.

Everyone around me at the game agreed it was actually more embarrassing to drive to the one yard line and then go into the victory formation with 1st and goal instead of just scoring the 91st point. JMU easily could've dropped over 100 points tonight. We were milking the clock too.
I can honesty say that non-scholly morehead state and nec team CCSU put up bigger fights then even this URI team.
Their lone score was a kickoff return for 99.5 yards and our defense shut them out. I haven't seen the stats but I think we held them under 100 yards of offense. It wouldn't surprise me.
Their QB was sacked more times then I could remember. He threw 5 INTs and 2 pick sixes for the second consecutive week.

If you guys had in your 2's and 3's in the third quarter is it conceivable that URI possibly did the same? If so it was probably a developmental scrimmage from the 3rd quarter on. No shame in that for either team if that was in fact the case, which it should have been. Long ago, as a player at UNH we played East Stroudsburg due to a scheduling gaff. it was 50 something to 3 at halftime. Both coaches played their second and third teamers pretty much from the late second quarter on. Our 2's and 3's scored 20 more points and the score ended up being 70-3. After the game no one felt slighted or disrespected from the East Stroudsburg side of things.

Terry2889
October 30th, 2016, 09:00 AM
One stat reflects something I've never seen before in college football.

URI QB Vazzano threw five INTs, compared to just four pass completions. URI was -6 in the TO margin yesterday.

I've never seen a football team go into victory formation with nine minutes remaining.

JMU broke the program record for most points scored in a game at 84. It should've been at least 91. The prior record was set in week 1 of this season vs morehead state.

There was some weird statistical stuff going on in the CAA yesterday. In the late 3rd quarter UNH had almost as many interception return yards as they had offensive yards and somehow had 36 points!!! Either way we had less than 250 total yards in the game and came away with 43.

ZableNoise
October 30th, 2016, 10:18 AM
I'd hate to see Rhody discontinue their program. Football is better when the New England schools are good. I think the Rams can turn it around in the next few years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ccd494
October 30th, 2016, 10:21 AM
I'd hate to see Rhody discontinue their program. Football is better when the New England schools are good. I think the Rams can turn it around in the next few years.

I don't think anyone at Rhody cares if they do, that is the issue.

ZableNoise
October 30th, 2016, 10:31 AM
I don't think anyone at Rhody cares if they do, that is the issue.

Surely SOMEONE cares. I have family in Rhode Island and I care about the Rams. Won't someone care along with me?

MR. CHICKEN
October 30th, 2016, 10:41 AM
.....AH'D CARE...'CEPT.........RHODEY SHUT US OUT.....LAST YEAR......xembarrassedx:(xsighx:(xembarrassedx.... AWK!

ccd494
October 30th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Rhody hasn't made the playoffs since 1985. They haven't had a winning season since 2002. They've only had three winning seasons since 1985.

If someone cared, something would have been done by now.

Eight Legger
October 30th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Rhody hasn't made the playoffs since 1985. They haven't had a winning season since 2002. They've only had three winning seasons since 1985.

If someone cared, something would have been done by now.

Yep, this is my thought as well. Assuming they will "turn it around" at this point is just wishful thinking. This is who they've pretty much been for 30 years now.

NY Crusader 2010
October 30th, 2016, 12:57 PM
IMO, the Rams have one bullet left to save the program. Join the NEC now and increase the chances that you could build some winning teams. I would also try to go with a softer schedule for a few years. FBS, Harvard, Brown and then the CAA gauntlet is a tough slate for a struggling program.

ngineer
October 30th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Maybe they could merger the two smallest states and create one team known as the "Little Red Hens".

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Maybe they could merger the two smallest states and create one team known as the "Little Red Hens".

xthumbsdownxxthumbsdownxxthumbsdownxxthumbsdownx

UNHWildcat18
October 30th, 2016, 02:47 PM
IMO, the Rams have one bullet left to save the program. Join the NEC now and increase the chances that you could build some winning teams. I would also try to go with a softer schedule for a few years. FBS, Harvard, Brown and then the CAA gauntlet is a tough slate for a struggling program.

I agree with this last part, for ****s sake schedule a dumpster pioneer team and a d-2 team, at least get a few more wins and build some confidence.

UNHWildcat18
October 30th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Surely SOMEONE cares. I have family in Rhode Island and I care about the Rams. Won't someone care along with me?

I care my dude

DFW HOYA
October 30th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Could URI be a candidate for the Patriot League...this would assume the PL had aforethought on expansion which it clearly has not.

But submitted for discussion: once JMU gets its long awaited call-up to the Sun Belt (because they didn't spend $62 million in renovations to play teams like URI), maybe it's worth some dialogue to a PL-CAA alliance where the PL becomes a Northeastern league and the CAA realigns to a mid-Atlantic/southern circuit.

Patriot (9):
Albany
Bucknell
Colgate
Fordham
Holy Cross
Maine
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Stony Brook

Colonial (9):
Delaware
Elon
Georgetown
Lehigh
Lafayette
Richmond
Towson
Villanova
William & Mary

Gangtackle11
October 30th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Could URI be a candidate for the Patriot League...this would assume the PL had aforethought on expansion which it clearly has not.

But submitted for discussion: once JMU gets its long awaited call-up to the Sun Belt (because they didn't spend $62 million in renovations to play teams like URI), maybe it's worth some dialogue to a PL-CAA alliance where the PL becomes a Northeastern league and the CAA realigns to a mid-Atlantic/southern circuit.

Patriot (9):
Albany
Bucknell
Colgate
Fordham
Holy Cross
Maine
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Stony Brook

Colonial (9):
Delaware
Elon
Georgetown
Lehigh
Lafayette
Richmond
Towson
Villanova
William & Mary

You proposing the dropping of the Academic Index? Only way this gets a sniff.

Bos8
October 30th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Bison-not sure on the 63,but close.Has nothing to do with attendance.
The say you have to get kids from winning HS programs-Rhodys 3 QBs this year are from Don Bosco,Brockton and St. Joes/Gunnery school.
So, don't know what to say about recruiting. All are very raw except maybe kid from Brockton who is out for year with injury.
Vazzano has thrown more tds to opposition than own team. 4 for 25 for 40 yards and the requisite 5 picks.
Truly a blacksmiths touch. Lets see what happens against Elon and Towson.

Real good point. So what happens at QB going forward? The QB from Bosco was moved to WR after a pretty rough start. The QB from Brockton came in and looked ok, but got hurt. Vazzano has looked atrocious, less then 50% completion percentage in every game, and 10 ints over the last 8 quarters. Do we had the keys back over to Cappy, who was benched last year? Going forward, you have to hope that Mroz is granted a hardship waiver and starts next year. We need to recruit at least one new QB who can compete for reps the following season as a redshirt freshman.
Going forward, QB is not the only issue. Right now depth is a major concerns, and as the season wears on and guys get hurt, our back ups look like rec league guys.

Spider from the North
October 30th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Which schools would require a dropping of the Academic Index?
Seriously. I don't know anything about it and the standards it supports.

Gangtackle11
October 30th, 2016, 03:28 PM
Which schools would require a dropping of the Academic Index?
Seriously. I don't know anything about it and the standards it supports.

The Patriot League teams have a AI (Academic Index) similar to the Ivy. They can't just recruit any student-athlete like some on the proposed merger list can.

Sader87
October 30th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Didn't URI join the NEC for football recently only to back out.....forget the whole story etc

Laker
October 30th, 2016, 04:02 PM

Yes, I will. I hate to see any school drop football. It has happened way to often. Look at Vermont. I think 1974 was their last season with the sport.

RootinFerDukes
October 30th, 2016, 04:35 PM
JMU turned the sun belt down. Don't believe me? Google it.

Mattymc727
October 30th, 2016, 04:57 PM
URI shouldn't be this bad. URI is closer to recruiting hot beds of NY, NJ, and PA than UNH and Maine are. Being a basketball school is a bad excuse as well, UNH and Maine are hockey schools. Start winning and people in RI will care. No idea how they can't recruit a QB but I'd assume the whole coaching staff has to go and start over again.

ccd494
October 30th, 2016, 05:06 PM

Patriot (9):
Albany
Bucknell
Colgate
Fordham
Holy Cross
Maine
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Stony Brook

Colonial (9):
Delaware
Elon
Georgetown
Lehigh
Lafayette
Richmond
Towson
Villanova
William & Mary

HARD HARD HARD pass. I'd rather shutter the program than drop conference games with Delaware, Villanova, Richmond, W&M and replace them with bad PL teams.

MR. CHICKEN
October 30th, 2016, 05:23 PM
URI shouldn't be this bad. URI is closer to recruiting hot beds of NY, NJ, and PA than UNH and Maine are. Being a basketball school is a bad excuse as well, UNH and Maine are hockey schools. Start winning and people in RI will care. No idea how they can't recruit a QB but I'd assume the whole coaching staff has to go and start over again.

....WHEN YA BEEN LOSIN' FO' 30 YEARS.......MIGHT BE UH TAD HARD......TA SIGN....DUH GOOD GUYS.......NEEDED...TA TURN IT 'ROUND.....WHO WANTS TA BE DUH RECRUITS...... WHOM HALFTA SACRIFICE A FEW YEARS.....UH BUILDIN' UH FOUNDATIION...SO PLAYERS TA COME......GET DUH GLORY......HERE-IN...LIES DUH PROB......................BRAWK!

Gangtackle11
October 30th, 2016, 05:47 PM
....WHEN YA BEEN LOSIN' FO' 30 YEARS.......MIGHT BE UH TAD HARD......TA SIGN....DUH GOOD GUYS.......NEEDED...TA TURN IT 'ROUND.....WHO WANTS TA BE DUH RECRUITS...... WHOM HALFTA SACRIFICE A FEW YEARS.....UH BUILDIN' UH FOUNDATIION...SO PLAYERS TA COME......GET DUH GLORY......HERE-IN...LIES DUH PROB......................BRAWK!

Mr. Chicken is hitting it out of the park here! They can offer almost immediate playing time, but how many players from successful HS programs want to take the risk when they can go to more established programs?

Lehigh'98
October 30th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Mr. Chicken is hitting it out of the park here! They can offer almost immediate playing time, but how many players from successful HS programs want to take the risk when they can go to more established programs?

A good coach could excite recruits enough to come play for them anywhere with scholarships. It would require investing in that coach though. Starts at top.

MR. CHICKEN
October 30th, 2016, 05:59 PM
A good coach could excite recruits enough to come play for them anywhere with scholarships. It would require investing in that coach though. Starts at top.

......POINT IS.......ALL CAA SKOOLS RECRUIT DUH SAME HIGH-SKOOLERS..........DEY NEED TA EXCITE GOOD ATHLETES.....NOT DUH LEFT-OVERS....UH JMU/RICHMOND/VILLANOVA....ETC....FORMER GEORGIA SOUTHERN COACH... TIM STOWERS COACHED DERE.....AN' RAN DUH TRIPLE-O...FOR UH TIME......HE WAS 51-23 @ GA. [email protected] YEARS UH COACHES...SOME VERY GOOD ONES.....COODN'T......CLEAN UP DUH MESS......AWK!

Gangtackle11
October 30th, 2016, 06:02 PM
Jim Fleming was 21-1 as a Head Coach @ Sacred Heart. He was a DC at Villanova & the DC for that real good UCF team a few years back. He's not a slouch, but he has 3 wins to date in almost 3 seasons.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2016, 06:19 PM
1. Rhode Island is not, and probably never will be, a candidate for the Patriot League.

2. There is zero reason why URI cannot be as successful as UNH in terms of football. Right coach, right admin, the wins should come back.

3. URI was severely hampered by the misadventures of NEC membership, and then the eleventh-hour move by the CAA to drag them back into the conference once ODU left town. Yeager pulled them back in order to keep the CAA together, and URI paid a steep price for being nice guys for sticking around without being remotely prepared to ramp back up to 63 scholarships after they were fully prepared to dial down to 40.

MR. CHICKEN
October 30th, 2016, 06:26 PM
1. Rhode Island is not, and probably never will be, a candidate for the Patriot League.

2. There is zero reason why URI cannot be as successful as UNH in terms of football. Right coach, right admin, the wins should come back.

3. URI was severely hampered by the misadventures of NEC membership, and then the eleventh-hour move by the CAA to drag them back into the conference once ODU left town. Yeager pulled them back in order to keep the CAA together, and URI paid a steep price for being nice guys for sticking around without being remotely prepared to ramp back up to 63 scholarships after they were fully prepared to dial down to 40.

......WHAA...'BOUT DUH 20+ YEARS B/4......DAT??.............xsighxxsighxxsighx....... ...........AWK!

DFW HOYA
October 30th, 2016, 06:34 PM

Because there are only three candidates for the Patriot League: Villanova, Richmond, and William & Mary, and none are interested. No one else need apply.

HARD HARD HARD pass. I'd rather shutter the program than drop conference games with Delaware, Villanova, Richmond, W&M and replace them with bad PL teams.

Colgate and Fordham are bad PL teams?

ccd494
October 30th, 2016, 07:15 PM
Colgate and Fordham are bad PL teams?

Bucknell and Holy Cross are. Colgate and Fordham are significantly worse than James Madison, Richmond, Villanova, Delaware, William and Mary, in that they are generally worse on the field (Delaware's recent struggles aside), generally worse in name recognition amongst our fans, and generally worse in shared history (in that none of them have deigned to play Maine recently).

How did this, like everything else on this site, become about the Patriot League? You PL fans are like the four year old in the preschool who sees another kid getting attention, and starts jumping up and down yelling "NOTICE ME!!!" despite having nothing remotely notable about them.

UNHWildcat18
October 30th, 2016, 07:15 PM

Patriot (9):
Albany
Bucknell
Colgate
Fordham
Holy Cross
Maine
New Hampshire
Rhode Island
Stony Brook

Colonial (9):
Delaware
Elon
Georgetown
Lehigh
Lafayette
Richmond
Towson
Villanova
William & Mary

HAHA dropping games vs Villanova and Delaware for Bucknell and Colgate? a big ole **** that, Sorry this has to be one of the most ridiculous conference shake ups Ive ever seen

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
October 30th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Rhode Island football continues for one reason, and one reason only; so that I have a reason to stop here every other year...

Wow, now this is all I can think about.

superman7515
October 30th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Wow, now this is all I can think about.

You're welcome. It will make the trip all the more worthwhile.

Sader87
October 30th, 2016, 08:54 PM

Yeah, Maine has such a storied and long tradition in football.....xdrunkyx

ccd494
October 30th, 2016, 09:09 PM
Yeah, Maine has such a storied and long tradition in football.....xdrunkyx

We certainly don't. But we've been a hell of a lot better than Holy Cross lately. And our fans recognize that UR, JMU, Villanova, Delaware, W&M are a cut above their proposed replacements above, on a number of levels.

It's not 1980 anymore, the ship sailed on Holy Cross athletic relevance, and anyone who remembers the pre-Big East Holy Cross is not a part of an expanding market for collegiate athletics.

DFW HOYA
October 30th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Well, this didn't take long. The uninformed are usually the first to raise their voice.

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/editorial-it-is-time-to-drop-football-at-uri

YoUDeeMan
October 30th, 2016, 09:41 PM
No idea how they can't recruit a QB but I'd assume the whole coaching staff has to go and start over again.

How did this thread turn into a conversation about Dave Brock and Delaware? xeyebrowx

UNHWildcat18
October 30th, 2016, 09:56 PM
We certainly don't. But we've been a hell of a lot better than Holy Cross lately. And our fans recognize that UR, JMU, Villanova, Delaware, W&M are a cut above their proposed replacements above, on a number of levels.

It's not 1980 anymore, the ship sailed on Holy Cross athletic relevance, and anyone who remembers the pre-Big East Holy Cross is not a part of an expanding market for collegiate athletics.

.................BURNNNNNNN!

ccd494
October 30th, 2016, 10:00 PM
Well, this didn't take long. The uninformed are usually the first to raise their voice.

It's actually the right time to have the discussion, 84-7 aside, because Notre Dame is leaving Hockey East after this season leaving the league with 11 teams. The other five New England flagships (Maine, UNH, Vermont, UMass, UConn), plus BC, Providence and BU, are in that league. If URI said "we're going D-I in hockey, we're playing at the Ryan Center, we're fully funding the program", the league would probably be willing to wait 2-3 years for URI instead of expanding with a worse option (staring at Holy Cross again).

Schism55
October 30th, 2016, 10:06 PM

What is uninformed about that? Sure seems to echo lots of points raised in this very thread.
I don't like the idea of less football teams, but looks like its time that URI take a very hard look at dropping it.

DFW HOYA
October 30th, 2016, 10:22 PM
What is uninformed about that? Sure seems to echo lots of points raised in this very thread.
I don't like the idea of less football teams, but looks like its time that URI take a very hard look at dropping it.

Winning and losing is not the measure if a school should sponsor a sport.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2016, 11:49 PM
Peer colleges like Northeastern, Boston University and Hofstra all dropped football and invested in their most competitive programs, strengthened all their men’s and women’s sports, and launched new programs.

Excuse me while I spit-take and contemplate all those NCAA championships Northeastern, BU and Hofstra have enjoyed since dropping football.

Sader87
October 30th, 2016, 11:50 PM
It's actually the right time to have the discussion, 84-7 aside, because Notre Dame is leaving Hockey East after this season leaving the league with 11 teams. The other five New England flagships (Maine, UNH, Vermont, UMass, UConn), plus BC, Providence and BU, are in that league. If URI said "we're going D-I in hockey, we're playing at the Ryan Center, we're fully funding the program", the league would probably be willing to wait 2-3 years for URI instead of expanding with a worse option (staring at Holy Cross again).

Holy Cross may very well join the Hockey East conference....if they do....hooray, no one really cares. It's a niche sport.

It is what it is, but let's not pretend Maine football is above playing the likes of a Holy Cross....with the right administrative direction/coaching etc Holy Cross football would be much more relevant than Maine football.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2016, 11:51 PM
Bucknell and Holy Cross are. Colgate and Fordham are significantly worse than James Madison, Richmond, Villanova, Delaware, William and Mary, in that they are generally worse on the field (Delaware's recent struggles aside), generally worse in name recognition amongst our fans, and generally worse in shared history (in that none of them have deigned to play Maine recently).

Except, apparently, for last year, when Colgate went on the road and beat UNH and JMU in the playoffs.

Gangtackle11
October 31st, 2016, 06:51 AM
Winning and losing is not the measure if a school should sponsor a sport.

Dropping football no. Rightsizing possibly.

I think they have a daunting task to get to a level of consistency to compete in the CAA. Fleming has a decent resume and I'm not sure Rhody is any better before he got there. Maybe, but it's not showing on the field. They should look into the NEC if that door isn't closed or Pioneer??.

Just my 2 cents.

Mattymc727
October 31st, 2016, 06:57 AM
Dropping football only makes sense if you want to de-emphasize athletics at the university. Dropping football didnt do anything for Hofstra and Northeastern other than save a little money. If thats what URI whats to do, then go for it. otherwise stay in the CAA and figure out a way to win football by investing.

dgtw
October 31st, 2016, 07:19 AM

Looks good but then I checked the prices. I love lobster but $96 is a bit steep for me.

MR. CHICKEN
October 31st, 2016, 07:25 AM
Looks good but then I checked the prices. I love lobster but $96 is a bit steep for me.

....AFFORDABLE LOBSTAH........POUR SOME IODINE...OVERAH.....KENTUCKY FRIED.......CHICKEN STRIPS...............BRAWK!

F'N Hawks
October 31st, 2016, 08:01 AM
That's what babies say. you'll hear me say, "it's our job to stop them, and we didn't."

That is the lamest, stupidest thing fans ever say. When a team can't stop you, you stop yourself by running up the middle. Nothing whiny about it. It's bush league to keep scoring, knowing you easily can. (Unless they can't stop simple runs up the middle, then it's on them)

F'N Hawks
October 31st, 2016, 08:09 AM
Starting QB threw a TD pass to go up 56-7. Starting QB again threw a TD pass to go up 70-7.

JMU - you guys are so ****ing good! What a machine.

Gangtackle11
October 31st, 2016, 08:09 AM
That is the lamest, stupidest thing fans ever say. When a team can't stop you, you stop yourself by running up the middle. Nothing whiny about it. It's bush league to keep scoring, knowing you easily can. (Unless they can't stop simple runs up the middle, then it's on them)

Agreed.

Nova was up 35-0 on Rhody early 2nd half and went to 2nd string & walkons to keep it from being a total joke. Ran between the tackles. Most who have played sports at a high level are on the same page about embarrassing an opponent. I'm talking in general & not specifically about JMU.

RootinFerDukes
October 31st, 2016, 08:36 AM

Please. it's football. stop it with your participation trophy mentality. JMU made efforts to milk the clock and not score. We took a freaking knee at the one yard line to not keep scoring. You didn't even watch the game.

Gangtackle11
October 31st, 2016, 08:36 AM
Starting QB threw a TD pass to go up 56-7. Starting QB again threw a TD pass to go up 70-7.

JMU - you guys are so ****ing good! What a machine.

Wow. That's bad. Coach must be still upset about the Civil War outcome?

F'N Hawks
October 31st, 2016, 08:38 AM
Please. it's football. stop it with your participation trophy mentality.

You guys are so ****ing good! Those last three TD's proved it.

84 points! No doubt we are seeing you in Frisco now, you're unstoppable!!! xthumbsupx

Gangtackle11
October 31st, 2016, 08:39 AM
Please. it's football. stop it with your participation trophy mentality.

Its a sport where you compete to win, but at some point you respect an inferior opponent. 80+ is unnecessary if it's happening with starters & passing.

RootinFerDukes
October 31st, 2016, 08:43 AM
Your whining shows you didn't watch the game. We milked the clock really beginning in the second quarter. There comes a point when Rhode Island needs to stop turning the ball over six times, stop throwing two pick sixes, compile more than 109 yards of offense and actually score a TD that isn't a kickoff return.

I think you're bitching needs to be more at Rhode Island for sucking then us for not taking a knee with every drive beginning with 2 minutes remaining in the first quarter. It was 28-0 before the end of the first quarter. What exactly are we supposed to do? Literally nothing?

jmu007
October 31st, 2016, 08:53 AM
Offensive strategy for JMU became very bland starting in the 2nd quarter. Most of the late passing TD's referenced in a few posts on here were all on 3rd and goal plays after JMU had already run the ball between the tackles repeatedly. This was the most one-sided football game I've ever seen at any level. I felt bad for both coaches trying to figure out what to do with that mess starting about mid 3rd quarter because no matter what you do someone is gonna be upset about it.

JMUNJ08
October 31st, 2016, 08:58 AM
I watched the whole thing. URI was inconceivably bad and it was very depressing. There was NOTHING they could do right on offense and JMU actually looked competent on the defensive side of the ball though I expect Richmond/ Nova to bring us back to reality with good games and some more points.

In terms of our offense, yes we threw some passes. They were not anything close to home run balls, more just a few yards from pay dirt. They also went to a TE who only had (IIRC) one catch before the day so not the guys who really see the targets. Our starting horses at RB were out early 3rd but our 3rd and 4th stringers could start most places (got tons of reps vs. Morehead and CCSU as well).

Agreed, 84 is ridiculous, might as well have gone for 100 at that point (easily in reach even with milking the clock). This was a game URI did not show up to and were a clear few flights of steps below. I want a bottom of the CAA to be competitive. You see some crappy P5 schools take a few good teams to the wire each week but URI is not even there...

DirtyDukes
October 31st, 2016, 09:01 AM
This is a conference game. Why are people bitching about us scoring 84?

Rhode Island's QB completed more passes to JMU Defenders than he did his own WR. We literally couldn't have scored less if we tried to.

The play before kneeling 4 times was a 20 yard run up the middle where our 3rd string RB took a knee at the 1. Again, what do you idiots want us to do?

Hanca
October 31st, 2016, 09:01 AM
JMU did not run it up. URI is just bad and needs a total restart in program.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 31st, 2016, 09:03 AM
You know URI is bad because Kansas beat them 55-6

F'N Hawks
October 31st, 2016, 09:04 AM
This is a conference game. Why are people bitching about us scoring 84?

Rhode Island's QB completed more passes to JMU Defenders than he did his own WR. We literally couldn't have scored less if we tried to.

The play before kneeling 4 times was a 20 yard run up the middle where our 3rd string RB took a knee at the 1. Again, what do you idiots want us to do?

That 5th TD pass from your starter was crucial on 3rd and goal from the 2 yard line and you're up 63-7. No ****ing way you could have ran it in or, gasp, have to kick a field goal.

JMUNJ08
October 31st, 2016, 09:06 AM
You know URI is bad because Kansas beat them 55-6

THIS - HOW CAN ANYONE ARGUE WITH THIS!?!?!?!?!

And no, Kansas is not back, they are still dead as a football program in the bottom ranked P5 conference...

jmu007
October 31st, 2016, 09:08 AM
That 5th TD pass from your starter was crucial on 3rd and goal from the 2 yard line and you're up 63-7. No ****ing way you could have ran it in or, gasp, have to kick a field goal.

Backup TE who converted from QB this season needs some love too homie. xthumbsupx

DirtyDukes
October 31st, 2016, 09:08 AM

The last game we played we were up 42-10 with 7 minutes to play and UNH almost came back and beat us. 42 - 39 final. Coach had preached for two weeks during the bye we have to finish the game. Also, it was still the 3rd quarter.

Gangtackle11
October 31st, 2016, 09:33 AM
Was it the same for the 80 points vs. Morehead State too? Just curious.

DirtyDukes
October 31st, 2016, 09:39 AM
Was it the same for the 80 points vs. Morehead State too? Just curious.

We were up 52-7 at the half. The only scores in the 2nd half were 3 runs, (2 by our 4th string back) and a punt return for a TD.

CockyGeek
October 31st, 2016, 10:16 AM
Embarrass them. Who cares other than a handful of purists?

PAllen
October 31st, 2016, 10:20 AM
If you've got your 3rd string in there, run the offense. Alright, you don't have to air it out, but I have now issue with a 3rd string QB throwing to 3rd string WRs every now and again no matter what the score.

RootinFerDukes
October 31st, 2016, 10:23 AM
Greg Madia ‏@Madia_DNRSports (https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports) 26m26 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports/status/793104394828914688)
URI coach Jim Fleming said he has no problems with JMU scoring 84 points. Said its his own team’s responsibility to change that.

Are you all ready to shut up now?

JMU2004
October 31st, 2016, 10:30 AM
A huge problem was URI kept trying to throw the ball in the 2nd half. And they kept throwing the ball to JMU.

Check out this series in the 4th quarter when it was 70-7.

URI QB throws a pick 6 to our 3rd team D. 77-7

URI then comes right back and throws ANOTHER pick at their 15. 2 plays and out 4th string RB scores. 84-7

URI then fumbles the ensuing kickoff. We take a knee on their 1.

Could have been 21 points in 90 seconds and we only ran 2 plays.

Had URI just run the ball, the scored is probably in the 50s or low 60s.

F'N Hawks
October 31st, 2016, 10:31 AM
Greg Madia ‏@Madia_DNRSports (https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports) 26m26 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports/status/793104394828914688)
URI coach Jim Fleming said he has no problems with JMU scoring 84 points. Said its his own team’s responsibility to change that.

Are you all ready to shut up now?

Did you expect him to whine about it in the media? C'mon.

RootinFerDukes
October 31st, 2016, 10:42 AM
Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 (https://twitter.com/BillKoch25) 45m45 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/BillKoch25/status/793104213588967424)
Fleming -- 'I've never felt it's anyone's responsibility to take their foot off the gas. It's our responsibility to stop them.' #URI (https://twitter.com/hashtag/URI?src=hash) #Rams (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rams?src=hash)

Lookie here! Another quote!

F'N Hawks
October 31st, 2016, 10:51 AM
Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 (https://twitter.com/BillKoch25) 45m45 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/BillKoch25/status/793104213588967424)
Fleming -- 'I've never felt it's anyone's responsibility to take their foot off the gas. It's our responsibility to stop them.' #URI (https://twitter.com/hashtag/URI?src=hash) #Rams (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rams?src=hash)

Lookie here! Another quote!

Says the coach who is used to getting monkey-****ed every week. The true barometer.

I am used to seeing coaches let off the gas completely when they are up big. UND does. NDSU does. Hell, UND took a knee on the nine yard line up 45-23 with over a minute left. Just gave SUU the ball back so as to not score a meaningless TD.

You guys are right, though, trying to score as many points as possible against the worst team in the country is straight up solid.

ccd494
October 31st, 2016, 10:58 AM
Holy Cross may very well join the Hockey East conference....if they do....hooray, no one really cares. It's a niche sport.

It is what it is, but let's not pretend Maine football is above playing the likes of a Holy Cross....with the right administrative direction/coaching etc Holy Cross football would be much more relevant than Maine football.

1.) Sure, college hockey is niche. FCS football isn't? We are a group of schools who have said we can't compete at the highest level. We asked for training wheels for our bicycle. We asked for bumpers on the bowling lane. If you're going to spend millions of dollars on a sport with limited interest, at least do it on one where you can compete on a level playing field with Michigan and Notre Dame.

2.) Maine isn't above playing Holy Cross. But why choose to do so when you are playing in a conference with better opponents and bigger names? And it's not like Holy Cross has historically been willing to stoop down and play against a (much more successful in the last 30 years) Maine team. There's a long list of Ivies and PL schools that for whatever reason haven't been willing to play Maine. So, don't come crawling to us because you are too snooty to let Monmouth join your conference.

3.) "with the right administrative direction/coaching etc Holy Cross football would be much more relevant than Maine football." Good for you, you haven't had the competence or institutional leadership to crawl out of a self dug hole for almost 40 years. If there was a book about college administrations that needlessly created a morass of mediocrity and failure in their athletic departments, your school would be one of the opening chapters with the University of Chicago. There are maybe six schools in America that wouldn't be more relevant than Maine at football with the right direction/coaching. We are in the oldest, whitest state in the nation, our university is 2+ hours away from any population base with disposable income, our state can't fund its way out of a paper bag, and we still manage to end up with better results than teams closer to recruiting hotbeds, or with bigger endowments, or all kind of reasons that they should be successful. F out of here with "we'd be more relevant than you if we could get our s*** together!" Well, obviously, but the first clock stopped ticking on that count down because it ran out of juice. AFTER 40 GD YEARS.

ccd494
October 31st, 2016, 11:02 AM
Except, apparently, for last year, when Colgate went on the road and beat UNH and JMU in the playoffs.

Fair point, but ask anyone in Orono this weekend for the Villanova game who is a better football program Colgate or __________ (insert JMU, UNH, Delaware, W&M, Richmond, Villanova...)? And you'd get 90% answers for not Colgate.

No one outside this board watches the playoffs if their team isn't involved, and everyone recognizes those other names.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 31st, 2016, 11:10 AM
The best thing that could happen to U Maine athletics is for Southern Maine to transition to Division I status. However, they're at Division III now, so if they chose tomorrow to go for Division I, it would take a decade for them to make it. They'd also have to add a football team, because they don't have one.

What is keeping Maine from being like an Eastern version of North Dakota State is that it's so difficult to get to from anywhere. The area around Orono is actually very pretty, I've been in that area, but it's hell to get to. NDSU at least have several conference and non-conference teams relatively close by to form rivalries. For Maine, it's UNH and a bunch of charter filghts - if you're a Maine fan, you literally need to be a pilot to have a chance to take in all their games in any given year.

You would think Maine and Holy Cross might try a September home-and-home simply because there's an outside chance fans might make that road trip, though it's still 4+ (I think) hours.

Lehigh'98
October 31st, 2016, 11:20 AM
The best thing that could happen to U Maine athletics is for Southern Maine to transition to Division I status. However, they're at Division III now, so if they chose tomorrow to go for Division I, it would take a decade for them to make it. They'd also have to add a football team, because they don't have one.

What is keeping Maine from being like an Eastern version of North Dakota State is that it's so difficult to get to from anywhere. The area around Orono is actually very pretty, I've been in that area, but it's hell to get to. NDSU at least have several conference and non-conference teams relatively close by to form rivalries. For Maine, it's UNH and a bunch of charter filghts - if you're a Maine fan, you literally need to be a pilot to have a chance to take in all their games in any given year.

You would think Maine and Holy Cross might try a September home-and-home simply because there's an outside chance fans might make that road trip, though it's still 4+ (I think) hours.

You lost me here. Can you explain real slow? Is it just so they have another rival? Wouldn't that essentially hurt their recruiting and further hurt the funding from state?

Laker
October 31st, 2016, 11:25 AM
The best thing that could happen to U Maine athletics is for Southern Maine to transition to Division I status.

Why would that be a good thing?

ccd494
October 31st, 2016, 11:31 AM

Moot point. Won't ever happen. The UMaine system is going to contract before it grows.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 31st, 2016, 11:32 AM

Some sort of possible Rivalry within a few hours of the campus, state narratives, etc. Montana has its Montana State, NDSU has its UND (also SDSU, USD) as rivals, and having those rivals contribute to the success of their overall athletic programs. For Maine, IMO, UNH is not enough. There are very few state rallying point opportunities for the football program.

- - - Updated - - -

Moot point. Won't ever happen. The UMaine system is going to contract before it grows.

Right, I agree with this. Southern Maine won't be going to D-I anytime soon.

Go...gate
October 31st, 2016, 12:48 PM
1.) Sure, college hockey is niche. FCS football isn't? We are a group of schools who have said we can't compete at the highest level. We asked for training wheels for our bicycle. We asked for bumpers on the bowling lane. If you're going to spend millions of dollars on a sport with limited interest, at least do it on one where you can compete on a level playing field with Michigan and Notre Dame.

2.) Maine isn't above playing Holy Cross. But why choose to do so when you are playing in a conference with better opponents and bigger names? And it's not like Holy Cross has historically been willing to stoop down and play against a (much more successful in the last 30 years) Maine team. There's a long list of Ivies and PL schools that for whatever reason haven't been willing to play Maine. So, don't come crawling to us because you are too snooty to let Monmouth join your conference.

3.) "with the right administrative direction/coaching etc Holy Cross football would be much more relevant than Maine football." Good for you, you haven't had the competence or institutional leadership to crawl out of a self dug hole for almost 40 years. If there was a book about college administrations that needlessly created a morass of mediocrity and failure in their athletic departments, your school would be one of the opening chapters with the University of Chicago. There are maybe six schools in America that wouldn't be more relevant than Maine at football with the right direction/coaching. We are in the oldest, whitest state in the nation, our university is 2+ hours away from any population base with disposable income, our state can't fund its way out of a paper bag, and we still manage to end up with better results than teams closer to recruiting hotbeds, or with bigger endowments, or all kind of reasons that they should be successful. F out of here with "we'd be more relevant than you if we could get our s*** together!" Well, obviously, but the first clock stopped ticking on that count down because it ran out of juice. AFTER 40 GD YEARS.

Colgate has played Maine and, as I understand it, would like to schedule games in the future. Hope it gets down. It would be a great home-and-home.

ccd494
October 31st, 2016, 01:28 PM
Colgate has played Maine and, as I understand it, would like to schedule games in the future. Hope it gets down. It would be a great home-and-home.

That would be a great series. I'd love if Maine played Colgate. We just did this past weekend in hockey, too.

My issue isn't Maine playing Colgate or Holy Cross or Bucknell. My issue is putting them in a conference with those teams and playing them instead of playing Delaware, Villanova, Richmond, James Madison and William and Mary.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 31st, 2016, 01:38 PM
That would be a great series. I'd love if Maine played Colgate. We just did this past weekend in hockey, too.

My issue isn't Maine playing Colgate or Holy Cross or Bucknell. My issue is putting them in a conference with those teams and playing them instead of playing Delaware, Villanova, Richmond, James Madison and William and Mary.

Let's see, the ideal football conference for Maine and URI would be:

Maine
UNH
UMass
UConn
URI
Northeastern
BU
Hofstra

And you'll note the problems.

UConn hitched their wagon to the Big East's star and now, they're stuck in an awful FBS conference that is losing them money.

UMass tried to be UConn's little brother and now can't get 8,000 to games, and might be forced by the NCAA to reclassify if they don't come to their senses.

Northeastern, BU and Hofstra took their football programs behind the barn and disdainfully shot them in the head. Vague promises of "we'll improve our athletic programs, sure we will!" with the "cost savings" have not come to fruition, and possibly have helped all three athletic programs slide even further into obscurity across the board.

So in large part URI and Maine have suffered from both extremes - the "we need to be in FBS!" crowd and the "we shouldn't be playing!" crowd. Personally I blame John Silber for both extremes, and the fate of all five schools have suffered immeasurably because they believed him at some level. Had they simply put his ideas about FCS football in the trash bin where they belonged in Minute One, maybe there would be a proper Yankee Conference today.

ZableNoise
October 31st, 2016, 03:35 PM
I mean the ideal football conference for UMaine and URI would be Football East (Hockey East but for football) right?

BC (**** them, their football team sucks anyway)
BU
UConn
Maine
UMass
Lowell
Merrimack
UNH
Northeastern
Providence
UVM

I realize not all those schools have football but the ones who do have good, local rivalries and some of the ones who don't SHOULD (BU, NU, UVM). Throw Holy Cross and URI in that mix and you have a great conference. (And yes, URI should absolutely bring their club hockey team up to varsity level. They already out recruit a lot of DI schools.)

ccd494
October 31st, 2016, 03:41 PM
I don't think any of Maine's issues have anything to do with the conference. There's a ceiling on money and fan support for any sport in Orono. The children of the people who packed Alfond Arena for hockey in the late 80's through late 90's don't live in Central, Eastern or Northern Maine. They live in Southern Maine or Boston or even wider afield.

Regardless, we are fine in the CAA as currently constituted. We are competitive, we play good name brand teams (as name brand as FCS gets), that local New England league saves travel money but doesn't do anything exciting for us. UNH is the true rival. The other New England schools are whatever.

ZableNoise
October 31st, 2016, 04:06 PM
I don't think any of Maine's issues have anything to do with the conference. There's a ceiling on money and fan support for any sport in Orono. The children of the people who packed Alfond Arena for hockey in the late 80's through late 90's don't live in Central, Eastern or Northern Maine. They live in Southern Maine or Boston or even wider afield.

Regardless, we are fine in the CAA as currently constituted. We are competitive, we play good name brand teams (as name brand as FCS gets), that local New England league saves travel money but doesn't do anything exciting for us. UNH is the true rival. The other New England schools are whatever.

Truly? Your fans would rather play Towson and Elon than UMass and Holy Cross? And I realize that is scraping the bottom of the barrel but I'm still surprised that UR, JMU, W&M generate as much interest for Maine fans as New England schools

NY Crusader 2010
October 31st, 2016, 08:13 PM
Ton of respect for the level that Maine has been able to play at over the past fifteen years. As a Jets fan, thank you for Kris Jenkins.

I would love to see a Holy Cross-Maine four year series come about.

I feel like one thing that is stopping Maine from being an Eastern version of Montana or NDSU is location. While nearby Bangor is a decent-size city for the state, athletics at this school would have much more potential had it been founded in Portland instead of Orono. Not only would it be the only DI school in the state's main population center, the weather is also (relatively) better and they would actually get solid media coverage because there's nothing else going on sports-wise besides NBA D League and AA baseball. As is evident by the school's constant basketball struggles, Orono is a very difficult to recruit to. Amazing what the Black Bears have been able to do up there.

jmufan999
October 31st, 2016, 10:21 PM
why is there a 4 page thread about URI? does anyone SERIOUSLY care that much? this is unreal.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 31st, 2016, 11:56 PM
why is there a 4 page thread about URI? does anyone SERIOUSLY care that much? this is unreal.

You must be new here, let me introduce you to us Patriot League posters....

JMU80
November 1st, 2016, 04:56 AM

Perhaps the coaches perspective may lend some insight to your opinion:

JMU coach Mike Houston said Monday he took measures to limit his team’s scoring in the 84-7 win.
“We pulled the starters in the middle of the third quarter. With about 10 minutes to go in the game, I instructed our running backs that if they broke loose that they were not to score, they were instructed to take a knee, which they did,” Houston said.
“I don’t like being in that situation. I’ve never been in it before. Very conscientious of trying to be respectful to our opponents. At the same time, when you have backups in there and they’re able to intercept the football and make a play, certainly they’re out there playing just like everybody else.

“We’re always going to try to do what’s right. We tried as best as we could on Saturday to do that. At the same time, when you force six turnovers and two of them are returned for scores, and you play at the level we did in the first half on offense, things can get rolling pretty good.”

URI coach Jim Fleming found no fault with the Dukes’ point production.

“I’ve never felt that it’s anybody’s responsibility ever to take their foot off the gas. I think it’s our responsibility to stop them,” he said. “They had a running back that had a walk-in touchdown and threw himself down on the 1 (yard line), which was an incredible sign of sportsmanship.”

Or NOT.

mainejeff
November 1st, 2016, 06:08 AM

Well half the posts have turned into a thesis on Maine football. Every time Maine has a good season people start spouting off about why Maine shouldn't have a winning program......*YAWN*.

Part of the difference between Maine and a program like URI is this.........

http://www.goblackbears.com/news/2016/10/31/football-umaine-athletics-receives-1-5-million-award-from-alfond-foundation.aspx

Maine gets a sizable donation like this every 2-3 years....whether it be the Alfond Foundation or New Balance....or the Morses....or a number of other donors.

I agree that recruiting might be slightly easier if the school were in Portland (ironically, it would probably affect in-state recruiting more than anything).......but I also think that being located in Orono in the internet age has become part of Maine's recruiting narrative, brand, and in some cases......an advantage! But it does come down to financial support from donors, the surrounding community, and state government. Yes, Maine operates on a shoestring.......but at least the shoestring is not frayed like at some schools.

F'N Hawks
November 1st, 2016, 07:17 AM
Perhaps the coaches perspective may lend some insight to your opinion:

JMU coach Mike Houston said Monday he took measures to limit his team’s scoring in the 84-7 win.
“We pulled the starters in the middle of the third quarter. With about 10 minutes to go in the game, I instructed our running backs that if they broke loose that they were not to score, they were instructed to take a knee, which they did,” Houston said.
“I don’t like being in that situation. I’ve never been in it before. Very conscientious of trying to be respectful to our opponents. At the same time, when you have backups in there and they’re able to intercept the football and make a play, certainly they’re out there playing just like everybody else.

“We’re always going to try to do what’s right. We tried as best as we could on Saturday to do that. At the same time, when you force six turnovers and two of them are returned for scores, and you play at the level we did in the first half on offense, things can get rolling pretty good.”

URI coach Jim Fleming found no fault with the Dukes’ point production.

“I’ve never felt that it’s anybody’s responsibility ever to take their foot off the gas. I think it’s our responsibility to stop them,” he said. “They had a running back that had a walk-in touchdown and threw himself down on the 1 (yard line), which was an incredible sign of sportsmanship.”

Or NOT.

Your saint of a coach did all of that after it was 70-7...and threw for a TD on the 2 yard line to make it 63-7. You guys are ****ing good. Too good.

ccd494
November 1st, 2016, 08:40 AM
Truly? Your fans would rather play Towson and Elon than UMass and Holy Cross? And I realize that is scraping the bottom of the barrel but I'm still surprised that UR, JMU, W&M generate as much interest for Maine fans as New England schools

UMass, UConn, Northeastern and BU are moot points. They aren't coming back. And it's not like we were selling 10,000 tickets a game when they were around. As long as Maine is playing a good football team and having a good season, the crowds are fairly level. It doesn't matter if the game is against UNH, Stony Brook or Villanova.

We don't play Holy Cross in anything else. We don't play Colgate often in anything else. I couldn't name a time we have played Bucknell in anything. We've been in a football conference with the southern CAA schools (minus Elon, they are a zero) for 20-30+ years.

The two biggest crowds in Maine history are the playoff game at home against UNH and the regular season about 15 years ago against Montana. Everything else doesn't vary much.

DirtyDukes
November 1st, 2016, 08:52 AM
Your saint of a coach did all of that after it was 70-7...and threw for a TD on the 2 yard line to make it 63-7. You guys are ****ing good. Too good.

Bro I'm sorry some bigger high school ran it up on you one time when you were a kid but goodness give it a rest.

NY Crusader 2010
November 1st, 2016, 09:08 AM
We don't play Holy Cross in anything else. We don't play Colgate often in anything else. I couldn't name a time we have played Bucknell in anything. We've been in a football conference with the southern CAA schools (minus Elon, they are a zero) for 20-30+ years.

Talk about a travel logistics nightmare!

NY Crusader 2010
November 1st, 2016, 09:13 AM
We don't play Holy Cross in anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BE95qqkTc0

Actually, our men's basketball team is making the trip this year after you guys came to us last season -- location on schedule says Bangor. Does this mean game will be played off campus? We've played baseball series before in Portland which is a halfway point between us. Our cross country teams also used to annually go up to Orono for the Black Bear Invitational. We have competed against one another in a number of other non-revenue sports as well.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 1st, 2016, 09:57 AM
Talk about a travel logistics nightmare!

Dearest Eulalia, we have finally made it past Albany and in four days hence we will be arriving in Orono...

http://canyontrailsranch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/custom-horse-buggy-restoration.jpg

ccd494
November 1st, 2016, 10:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BE95qqkTc0

Actually, our men's basketball team is making the trip this year after you guys came to us last season -- location on schedule says Bangor. Does this mean game will be played off campus? We've played baseball series before in Portland which is a halfway point between us. Our cross country teams also used to annually go up to Orono for the Black Bear Invitational. We have competed against one another in a number of other non-revenue sports as well.

Annually, was my point but yeah. Random non-con games in sports that draw less than 1,000 fans aren't going to engender deep feelings. And the basketball teams do play off campus. Nice arena though.