PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh Throttles Fordham

LUHawker
October 29th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Lehigh dominated Fordham 58-37. Since the Patriot League doesn't get the attention of the national FCS crowd, I thought it important to give this its own thread. Both teams were undefeated in PL play and this game was effectively for the PL title.

Don't be fooled by the score. Lehigh was up 51-9 at the end of the third quarter, before Lehigh took its foot off the gas and let some third-stringers get some PT. Lehigh could have put up another TD, but ran 4 straight plays up the middle on the 15 to basically hand the ball back to FU, which scored with 20 seconds left. It easily could have been another 14 point margin.

Stats will show that Chase Edmonds still got his 200 yds today, but unlike the last two seasons, when he thrashed LU for big plays, Lehigh prevented the breakout plays.

Lehigh's offense had its way with FU's defense, both running and passing all over FU.

It was a statement win that deserves more attention.

Lehigh can clinch the PL title next week if it can defeat Bucknell.

Go...gate
October 29th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Congratulations to the Engineers on a fine win! They have improved steadily as the season has progressed.

NDSUtk
October 29th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Nice dominating win.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
October 29th, 2016, 03:07 PM
I was shocked by the score. It's Lehigh's to give away.

RichH2
October 29th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Hell of a W. Particularly for the D. Starters held Rams to 9 pts over 3 quarters. Expected a nailbiter got a well appreciated laugher.
Now for Bucknell to clinch.

crusader11
October 29th, 2016, 03:28 PM
Lehigh can win a game or two in the playoffs, no doubt.

CHIP72
October 29th, 2016, 03:38 PM
I honestly expected Lehigh to beat Fordham fairly easily, but not THAT easily.

Lehigh's defense has really improved as the season has progressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lehigh'98
October 29th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Nice win LU! Good job by Fordham not quitting

PantherRob82
October 29th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Lehigh can win a game or two in the playoffs, no doubt.

I have a little doubt.:p

Lehigh'98
October 29th, 2016, 04:30 PM
I have a little doubt.:p

Shocking coming from you

PantherRob82
October 29th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Shocking coming from you

Lehigh looks like they are rolling right now, but they lost to Monmouth and an okay Villanova squad. I think there is reason to have an inkling of doubt. Depending on the matchup I might pick Lehigh.

Lehigh'98
October 29th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Lehigh looks like they are rolling right now, but they lost to Monmouth and an okay Villanova squad. I think there is reason to have an inkling of doubt. Depending on the matchup I might pick Lehigh.

They will struggle against a ball control offense and very good defense. Achilles is still run defense.

I have to give this team credit though, I was pretty down on them at 0-2. They are playing much better. Still think Mayes should be starter, but it is what it is

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2016, 04:44 PM

They've improved considerably over that time. The first half against Monmouth was atrocious. There was no excuse for that to start the year. They played 'Nova even down there before losing on a late score. The Wildcats are better than "ok" they're Top 20 with a great coach. Since then Lehigh has been dominating teams. They've gone to 3rd stringers in most of the games which as allowed the scores to look closer than they are. When Lehigh is able to dominate the PL they're usually a real tough out in the playoffs. I think they'll be home in the first round. I think they can win that. A matchup with 'Nova or JMU in the second round would be awesome...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2016, 04:46 PM
They will struggle against a ball control offense and very good defense. Achilles is still run defense.

I have to give this team credit though, I was pretty down on them at 0-2. They are playing much better. Still think Mayes should be starter, but it is what it is

It all comes down to matchups. They're a year away from seriously making a run imo. But with a good draw they can win two games. They need a home game imo. The road in the FCS playoffs is brutal path....

Lehigh'98
October 29th, 2016, 04:50 PM
It all comes down to matchups. They're a year away from seriously making a run imo. But with a good draw they can win two games. They need a home game imo. The road in the FCS playoffs is brutal path....

They can absolutely play with the CAA I believe. No reason we can't win a game or two. Like you said I think we are a year away from being a true threat.

PantherRob82
October 29th, 2016, 04:50 PM

I feel ya there. I remember like 4k watching Lehigh best us 14-7. It was an ugly game and we lost.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2016, 04:58 PM
I feel ya there. I remember like 4k watching Lehigh best us 14-7. It was an ugly game and we lost.

This teams a step ahead of the 2010 team but still a half step behind 2011 imo. There's a ton of talent on this roster. The WR's are sick and Bragalone is a beast of a RB. They're two deep at QB and the OL is once again a strength. They're still not the most physical team on defense. One more year of the stockpiling depth along the front 7 is what will make them contenders for Frisco. Botts has done a great job turning the D around. Cavenas has become a real force.

Fordham just looked soft outside of Edmonds. They never had a chance with their defensive alignment. Anderson is an ok QB but nowhere near as talented as Nebrich. Their game against Colgate will be interesting.

Fordham
October 29th, 2016, 05:01 PM
Congrats Lehigh. That was a whoopin'

2ram
October 29th, 2016, 05:18 PM
This teams a step ahead of the 2010 team but still a half step behind 2011 imo. There's a ton of talent on this roster. The WR's are sick and Bragalone is a beast of a RB. They're two deep at QB and the OL is once again a strength. They're still not the most physical team on defense. One more year of the stockpiling depth along the front 7 is what will make them contenders for Frisco. Botts has done a great job turning the D around. Cavenas has become a real force.

Fordham just looked soft outside of Edmonds. They never had a chance with their defensive alignment. Anderson is an ok QB but nowhere near as talented as Nebrich. Their game against Colgate will be interesting.

i don't think anyone understands what we are doing on defense... other than opposing offenses.

RichH2
October 29th, 2016, 05:52 PM

Agree with both of you that we are a year away. Expect tho our team in 2 years will be the one.
D has matured and swarms every play. Nova a grwat 2nd round game. They ran the edges on our nickel D. With Lambert and Harvey both healthy that will not happen again.
For next yr dont forget we lose our NG all the LBs and Leaks. A lot to replace.

Engineer86
October 29th, 2016, 06:16 PM
They can absolutely play with the CAA I believe. No reason we can't win a game or two. Like you said I think we are a year away from being a true threat.

I agree next year should be a big year, but they are playing well right now. I was not around for the Nova game, but I was at the Monmouth game. Nothing should be judged based on that. The first half seemed like the offense did not show up, completely different since then and dominant in the second half. Defense is greatly improved with Lambert playing. One stop at the end of the game gives the offense the ball back and a FG to win.

i also have to add the the coaching staff seems completely different this year, with great adjustments the second half of games.

ngineer
October 29th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Well, I was there and reveled in this game. My pick was Lehigh 52-38, and not far off only because we tried not to score in the fourth quarter and played 2nd and 3rd teamers the last ten minutes. What was amazing was the domination on the line of scrimmage. I watched the first half from the endzone (where my granddaughters were rolling down the hill) and could not believe the holes being opened. We had well over 300 yards RUSHING. When was the last time a Lehigh team had more rushing yards than passing?! We only threw 21 passes completing 13 for about 300 yards. Derek Knott for the second week in a row was the leading yards receiver with a monster 80 yard torch in the first quarter. Shafnisky's faking with Bragalone was sick. I,and the Fordham D, was caught several times. Lehigh did not punt once. Only four penalties and no turnovers. That has been the theme all year. It shows a lot of focus. Coen has said that this team is 'different' because of the higher level of trust the players have in one another and the upperclassmen are taking ownership of areas that coaches normally have to cover. Edmonds is a tremendous back. I did not see him tackled by only one player. Had to be gang tackled. Truly special. Unfortunately for Fordham they are too one dimensional. Our secondary stepped up big time today and allowed the LB's to focus more on the run. If we can take care of business the next two games, a home game in the Playoffs should be in the offing against either the NEC Champ or a 2nd or 3rd ranked CAA team. I would love a rematch with Villanova in Goodman, especially in the second round. Saturday after Thanksgiving is tough to get a good crowd.
If any one had told me before today that we would have 650 yard off offense and Pelletier and Casey combined had less than 100 yards, I would have called you crazy. But that's what happened. Bragalone and Shafniskyhad over 300 yards rushing between the two of them. Who'da thunk. The opposing DC's have no idea what is coming. Lastly, an interesting wrinkle. Three Lehigh backup linemen with large towels standing behind the 'signalers' on the sideline. Me thinks there is concern that opponents are filming them from the booth trying to determine who is the 'hot read'. I have never seen that before. What a day. A statement has been made.

CHIP72
October 29th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Lehigh probably won't play Villanova at Goodman, due to the avoidance of first round regular season rematches and the fact it is very unlikely Lehigh will earn a bye and 2nd round/round of 16 home game on 12/3. I definitely could see LU hosting a first round game on 11/26 however.

I'm increasingly having mixed feelings about visiting my brother at Mississippi State at Thanksgiving, which ironically I did in part to see Lehigh BB play at MSU (on Friday 11/25). It is looking like I'll be missing out on a Lehigh home playoff game 15 miles from my parents' house on Thanksgiving weekend however. UGH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

van
October 29th, 2016, 08:16 PM
all this talk of a playoff home game is pretty premature, first we need to win one of the next two games (not that I doubt those outcomes), but more to the point, unless the process has changed the home teams are determined by seeding or bids to NCAA, we will not be seeded and have we ever out bid anyone for a home game?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2016, 08:45 PM
all this talk of a playoff home game is pretty premature, first we need to win one of the next two games (not that I doubt those outcomes), but more to the point, unless the process has changed the home teams are determined by seeding or bids to NCAA, we will not be seeded and have we ever out bid anyone for a home game?

Lehigh outbid Hofstra in 2001 and JMU in 2004. I doubt they put in a serious bid in 2010 and Towson broke the bank in 2011 to host. I think Lehigh has a great chance to host this year given the likely playoff teams in the Northeast. I think Maine or UNH will be paying a visit to Goodman. Maybe Youngstown State....

ngineer
October 29th, 2016, 11:48 PM
I don't see us outbidding YSU. Though I do see us outbidding any NEC team or ME. No "gimmes" in this sport. Bucky appears to have given Chuck South some competition; however, when you look into the numbers, CSU had 15 penalties for 130 yards and three turnovers, and still scored 48 points! Shows why Bucky hung around for most the game. Laughy is Laughy.

Schism55
October 29th, 2016, 11:49 PM
Conrats Lehigh!! Enjoy this victory xdrunkyx

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 30th, 2016, 12:20 AM
Interesting nugget, Lehigh used their 9th different uniform combo in 9 games in the win. That has to be a PL record and maybe an FCS record....lol

I still want to see an interlocking LU helmet return. Those late 80's, early 90's uniforms were sweet!!

Pic from '91 Lehigh-HC

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/coll-football-jerome-fuller-of-holy-cross-in-action-vs-lehigh-picture-id50723400?s=594x594

aceinthehole
October 30th, 2016, 12:46 AM
Saint Francis at Lehigh?

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2016, 06:12 AM
I'm ready to jump on the Lehigh bandwagon..... had hoped the Hens were going to get Dominic Bragalone but they don't recruit players with talent, looks like your WR's and QB are CAA ready as well.....

van
October 30th, 2016, 07:30 AM
the "skills" guys get all the glory, but the OL is really doing a great job, opening holes, picking up blitz, have to give those guys some rep

ngineer
October 30th, 2016, 08:28 AM
I'm ready to jump on the Lehigh bandwagon..... had hoped the Hens were going to get Dominic Bragalone but they don't recruit players with talent, looks like your WR's and QB are CAA ready as well.....

Delaware was not alone in failing to recruit Bragalone. We were the only one that showed serious interest in him from the beginning. The knock was that his high school and its competitors were so small that his numbers couldn't be taken seriously. Seriously? Gotta get you guys back on the schedule!

ngineer
October 30th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Interesting nugget, Lehigh used their 9th different uniform combo in 9 games in the win. That has to be a PL record and maybe an FCS record....lol

I still want to see an interlocking LU helmet return. Those late 80's, early 90's uniforms were sweet!!

Pic from '91 Lehigh-HC

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/coll-football-jerome-fuller-of-holy-cross-in-action-vs-lehigh-picture-id50723400?s=594x594

Coach Whitehead introduced this "San Francisco" uniform style in the early '80s. I liked them, too. BTW, HC Coen tied Whitehead yesterday for second place on the all-time wins list for a Lehigh coach at 75, in his 11th season. Whitehead was HC for 13 seasons.

CHIP72
October 30th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Delaware was not alone in failing to recruit Bragalone. We were the only one that showed serious interest in him from the beginning. The knock was that his high school and its competitors were so small that his numbers couldn't be taken seriously. Seriously? Gotta get you guys back on the schedule!

Hey, Phil Stambaugh couldn't get it done back in the day for the same reason. Right?

;)

caribbeanhen
October 30th, 2016, 09:19 AM

I remember talk of Bragalone, not sure how hard we tried to get him, I remember checking his HS video and just like you already pointed out the knock on him was he played in a weak High school division but he sure looked good, I wanted to see him land at Delaware and have kept my eye on him, it's always hard to know how good a player really is when the opponent is pop warner

RichH2
October 30th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Coach Whitehead introduced this "San Francisco" uniform style in the early '80s. I liked them, too. BTW, HC Coen tied Whitehead yesterday for second place on the all-time wins list for a Lehigh coach at 75, in his 11th season. Whitehead was HC for 13 seasons.

My favorite combination. Gold rown and white over plain brown and white always IMO.

PAllen
October 30th, 2016, 10:45 AM

Definitely the best uniform I've seen Lehigh in. I'd love to see it again with updated jerseys.

Sader87
October 30th, 2016, 11:05 AM
HC unis were much bettah than too...though I do like the interlocking HC on the helmets now.

More importantly, I wish we had the players and coaching staff that '91 team had. xdrunkyx

milleniumkat
October 30th, 2016, 04:08 PM
How many yards did wolfed out Michael J Fox have?

"I'll not be pawed at. I have not yet begun to defile myself"